WVSOM 2010 Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is it possible for you guys to just hang on to your current service and if that doesn't work out, you can always sign up for another service (like Verizon) later when you've settled down in WV. You can probably do it online, that's what I plan on doing if my phone ends up not working! nowadays, the internet is my only "real" form of communication. hahah go SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

bbgirl said:
I know that this topic has been discussed a little, but I'm having a little trouble deciding which would be best for me. Can someone describe a typical day for SBLer and same for PBLer as well as test format for each.
Thanks

Hello, (sorry for the cut and paste, didn't feel like rewriting)

I am a third year student at WVSOM. I am also a member of the first PBL class. There have been some negative threads written about the program. I believe some have been accurate and others have not.

PBL is problem based learning. It is not problem based teaching, or PBT. The cases are designed to encourage and promote learning. They are a springboard to various topics and levels of information encountered in medical school. They may be less than cutting edge, but they provide a good foundation for active student learning. They are certainly not negligent.

I must be completely honest. I absolutely hated PBL the first 10 week block. I felt that I had made a huge mistake. The desire to compare yourself to the SBL students is overwhelming, and sometimes can be discouraging. The varied background of my classmates was also concerning. My perception of, what I perceived as disorganization, was obvious. My problem was that I didn’t understand the concept of PBL. I was concerned that we weren’t learning enough to pass boards. I didn’t trust it, and I didn’t give it a chance before jumping to conclusions.

From what I understand, it is true that my classes pass rate was much lower than the SBL students. The rumor is that the figures posted here earlier are accurate, but what people need to realize is that individuals failed step 1. PBL did not fail the boards. The same goes for the SBL'ers who failed boards. I am not going to try and figure out why they failed, and I’m certainly not going to badmouth any of them. I consider them friends and hope that all have great success in the future. They are all smart and motivated people.

A number of my PBL counterparts made well above the school average. It was somewhere around 485, but I’m not exactly sure what it was. As for myself, my percentile score was 82 and my raw score was 588. These numbers are a comparison to all osteopathic students nationally, both PBL and SBL. I am not disclosing my scores to brag. I just want people to understand that the PBL program at WVSOM has been successful. There were very few tested concepts, on COMLEX, that I had not had some exposure to in the PBL cases. Whether I understood them to the level necessary to answer the questions was entirely my responsibility.

As far as the PBL dean is concerned, I have never felt that he wasn't approachable. In fact, following the release of Step 1 scores, I sent him an email attachment with some suggestions for the program. I’m not sure if any of them were implemented, but they were thankfully accepted. I do not believe he, or any other dean, would be tolerant of anyone trying to completely restructure, or redirect, a program, especially if they haven’t taken boards.

People that know me might respond by making comments about my previous medical experience. That's why he did well on boards. This may be partly true, but it doesn’t explain why a few of my classmates, with no medical experience, did just as well. PBL is their explanation, and I believe the bulk of my success can be attributed to it as well!

I am connected to this program. If it has a bad reputation, then all of the graduates of it may be stereotyped as being inferior. I would like to see everyone pass boards, those in my class and in future classes. PBL is not for everyone. Don’t let a few negative comments discourage you, and for that matter don’t let me make up your mind either. If you are interested in the program, then contact the dean. If you use the cases as a foundation for study, work hard, and find a good board review strategy, then chances are boards will not be a problem.

I have a great amount of respect for all of my classmates, and I made some very good friends during my 2 years in Lewisburg. My clinical rotations are going well, and most of them have been with allopaths (for those of you concerned about a stigma). I have no regrets about doing PBL, and I am certainly not regretful that I didn’t sit in lecture for 40 hours per week!

dnrme44

p.s.-most of my rotations have been with allopathic physicians (M.D.'s). I have had no problems performing to the level that they expect. My rotation grades have been very good, and thier comments on the evaluation forms have been equally as good.

Hello All,

My name is Patrick I anticipate being a second year student next year and I own my own home in Ronceverte, which is just about 5 miles from school (rarely more than an 8 minute drive). I will probably be remodeling the kitchen and bathroom this summer and potentially adding another bathroom. It is a great big house, it will have a great big kitchen. You would be allowed full use of all parts of the house, including highspeed internet, cable, laundry, kitchen, dinning room, living room, basement, swimming pool, yard, nice driveway (i.e. not parking in the street), and a great big deck. I would definitely prefer to live with other guys but my goal is just to get my rooms rented.

Details:
$400 per month
All utilities included

Email me back if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
theresa83 said:
is it possible for you guys to just hang on to your current service and if that doesn't work out, you can always sign up for another service (like Verizon) later when you've settled down in WV. You can probably do it online, that's what I plan on doing if my phone ends up not working! nowadays, the internet is my only "real" form of communication. hahah go SDN!

The comparable service to Verizon down here is U.S. Cellular, if you have Verizon registered at your home address then it will use their network without a problem. However, you cannot buy Verizon's service here. Cingular is not available here either but both Cingular and T-mobile will run on Cellular One's network which offers pretty good coverage, especially around school, but in general Verizon/U.S. Cellular is available/has coverage in more places. Hope I helped.

Hello everyone! I am going to be attending WVSOM this fall, and was wondering if anyone currently down there or someone who knows the area, if they can help me out. I will be moving down to school with my finace', and was wondering what kind of work is available within a reasonable distance from lewisburg for ppl? any help would be much appreciated!thanks

pjk82081 said:
The comparable service to Verizon down here is U.S. Cellular, if you have Verizon registered at your home address then it will use their network without a problem. However, you cannot buy Verizon's service here. Cingular is not available here either but both Cingular and T-mobile will run on Cellular One's network which offers pretty good coverage, especially around school, but in general Verizon/U.S. Cellular is available/has coverage in more places. Hope I helped.

thanks for the info.

anyone care about the NBA playoffs? my heart was broken yesterday in Dallas with the sad performance and loss to the Spurs. there will be redemption in game 2 on tuesday. Dirk is my MVP.

and that brings me to another question. who is going to have a very difficult time moving away from their favorite sports teams. i am an avid mavericks fan and watch them very closey, pretty much every game. i recently bought an authentic dirk jersey off ebay to take with to me lewisburg.

Canuck99 said:
anyone care about the NBA playoffs? my heart was broken yesterday in Dallas with the sad performance and loss to the Spurs. there will be redemption in game 2 on tuesday. Dirk is my MVP.

and that brings me to another question. who is going to have a very difficult time moving away from their favorite sports teams. i am an avid mavericks fan and watch them very closey, pretty much every game. i recently bought an authentic dirk jersey off ebay to take with to me lewisburg.

Cannuck,

I've spent most of my life in Boston, but I have lived in New York for some of it, and I can assure you, following your team when far from home is not as bad as you might think. You actually end up following them more closely because they're not on the front page of the paper every day. True, you won't get all the broadcasts, but there's something cool about finding the odd game on AM radio. And when you find another fan, well that just makes your day. Besides, do you really want a Cowboys game dangling in front of you when you've got an anatomy exam the next day?

Jeff

RedSoxDO said:
Cannuck,
Besides, do you really want a Cowboys game dangling in front of you when you've got an anatomy exam the next day?

Jeff

Yes, yes I do. We got T.O. baby.

Canuck99 said:

I'm going to miss the Colts. They get so close to the Super Bowl and then choke. With my luck, now that I am leaving Indy, they will go all the way!!

wake920 said:
I'm going to miss the Colts. They get so close to the Super Bowl and then choke. With my luck, now that I am leaving Indy, they will go all the way!!

I feel your pain. Just be glad you're not a Cubs fan.

RedSoxDO said:
I feel your pain. Just be glad you're not a Cubs fan.

haha i just saw that and it made me laugh. I'm a White Sox fan...Cubs just don't do it for me.

To the current students that might know any information regarding this:

I'm in the process of filling out the health information stuff for starting in the fall. I've noticed in the packet that it says that the students need to have a current CPR card and AED training. First question, what does AED represent? Secondly, will the school provide us a CPR course at the beginning of school, or do we need to find our own course?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
JohnUC33 said:

I'm in the process of filling out the health information stuff for starting in the fall. I've noticed in the packet that it says that the students need to have a current CPR card and AED training. First question, what does AED represent? Secondly, will the school provide us a CPR course at the beginning of school, or do we need to find our own course?

Thanks in advance
Yeah. The requirement is that you have to be licensed in CPR. When you take the course they will teach you how to use the AED as well. AED is just another name for the defibrillator. I thought you have to be licensed in CPR BEFORE heading there but I'm not sure. I took the class as soon as I read that. It was only a day long and you take the licensing exam at the end of the day.

AED = automated external defibulator.
I *think* most CPR classes are going to cover this. When I taught CPR it was always included. If you dont have the CPR card by the time you get here you'll have to do a class somewhere here. I'm not sure if the school offers this or not.

They want you to have the CPR card for when you do clinic stuff.

JohnUC33 said:

Thanks in advance

JohnUC33,

Unless things have changed, they do not offer a CPR course at school. ACLS will be taught before 3rd year rotations.

We tried to encourage them to give a CPR course early in the first year, and again around the time of ACLS. This would carry both certifications through graduation. The CPR card that you get prior to starting school will expire before 3rd year rotations start, you will need a current CPR card for most rotations. ACLS will not count as a replacement to BLS (CPR). They are two separate requirements.

I don't know of any BLS courses that do not have a AED component. The Red Cross and American Heart Association Course's do.

good luck with school.

dnrme44
Class of 2007

you can always just look on the American Heart Association's website and search locally for a location to take the class at. I hear AHA is a 2 year certification whereas Red Cross is only valid for 1 year. Also, if you currently have one and it is expiring soon, you should consider renewing it while it is still active, otherwise, you may have to retake the course all over again. I hear that in order to renew, you just have to take a refresher/review class which takes much less time. This is what i hear from my local volunteer organization.

I was just wondering where you accessed this health form. Is is on the WVSOM website because I have been looking and can't seem to locate it. Thanks for your help!

t2jmnihs647 said:
I was just wondering where you accessed this health form. Is is on the WVSOM website because I have been looking and can't seem to locate it. Thanks for your help![/QUOT

When you get to the screen that gives you the option of checking your checklist or status, just log in to check your status, and you'll see the form.

The worksheet can be found when you log into your account (not checklist) on the current applicants page under admissions. Its near the bottom of the page along with other forms that they need. Hope that helps!

JohnUC33 said:
t2jmnihs647 said:
I was just wondering where you accessed this health form. Is is on the WVSOM website because I have been looking and can't seem to locate it. Thanks for your help![/QUOT

When you get to the screen that gives you the option of checking your checklist or status, just log in to check your status, and you'll see the form.

sacred774 said:
Hello everyone! I am going to be attending WVSOM this fall, and was wondering if anyone currently down there or someone who knows the area, if they can help me out. I will be moving down to school with my finace', and was wondering what kind of work is available within a reasonable distance from lewisburg for ppl? any help would be much appreciated!thanks

I don't believe anyone addressed your question about potential jobs in the area. I suppose it all depends on what type of work you're looking for... WVSOM is fond of hiring significant others at times, and they are also growing. :idea:

If you're looking for construction, I'm sure the influx of new students in spurring that on, too. And there are many realtors. There are many agencies dealing with healthcare, including Hospice, Family service centers, and Physical Therapy and fitness clubs. There are many restaurant businesses close to the school and other specialty shops downtown. The Greenbrier often hires for service areas. Then there is Alderson Prison... Each of these places would be within a reasonable distance. Many places are available locally.

I think it would be easier to know what you're looking for... Please e-mail me. If you have specific questions I might be able to help you find answers.

Peace and congrats,
veryvickyish

[email protected]

Incidentally, If there is anyone who might be procrastinating on finding a place to live, my landlord is putting in a trailer on the back area of the trailer court. He asked me to spread the word.

I was not fond of living in a trailer, but the price is right, and it's not all that bad. The family, which manages Fair Oaks, is very good at helping you out with things you need. (I have a washer and dryer. They gave me a lot of help to set up mail and power and water... They even let us build on to the trailer we're in, and applied it some toward our rent... ) I have DSL through Verizon, but cable is also available. Half of the trailer court is not able to get Verizon's service :confused: .

I'm not sure when it will be ready, but I know they will do what they can to help. Rent on the trailer would be $250 a month, located in Fairlea. That's about ten minutes from the school on a really bad day, usually only five minutes. I'm sorry I don't know details about the trailer, but you can call and check with them. I know they prefer students, too. My neighbors aren't students, but cool for the most part :) . Please leave me an e-mail and I'll get you the number.

Peace,

Vicky
[email protected]

For the MSI's and II's, what are the best health insurance plans for medical students that you have found? I've heard some people have had problems with SOMA. Does the school offer plans or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

bbgirl said:
For the MSI's and II's, what are the best health insurance plans for medical students that you have found? I've heard some people have had problems with SOMA. Does the school offer plans or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Can't we use our parents medical insurance?(if we are <25yrs) :thumbup:

Xclone said:
Can't we use our parents medical insurance?(if we are <25yrs) :thumbup:

That all depends on your parents' particular plan. For me, my parents' insurance drops me at 24 irregardless of whether I'm a broke graduate student or not :mad:

I emailed our financial aide office the other day to ask what they thought about T.H.E as a lender. Although T.H.E. lists our school as one it does business with, our financial aide lady said that they are still checking on the details regarding T.H.E. She went on to recommend edamerica and access.org. Comparing the three, T.H.E. seems to hands down be the best. What I would like to know from current students is if you know of anyone in particular having problems with using T.H.E. at WVSOM?

csox84 said:
haha i just saw that and it made me laugh. I'm a White Sox fan...Cubs just don't do it for me.
Well Congratulations! Don't if feel great? Enjoy this season champ.

When I did my interview, the admissions lady said that we are supposed to get a medical terminology text over the summer to study for a test on the first week. Did anyone else hear about that? :rolleyes:

ajanedo said:
When I did my interview, the admissions lady said that we are supposed to get a medical terminology text over the summer to study for a test on the first week. Did anyone else hear about that? :rolleyes:

Yea, just scroll up a little bit cause I asked the same question about two weeks ago, and the current students answered it.

geez, what happened to this thread? where did everyone go?

Canuck99 said:

I was wondering the same thing myself.

Canuck99 said:

I'm still here!!! Me!! Me!! Pick me!!! :laugh:

I've been in the Doctor's Lounge part of SDN. I have been getting into some really interesting discussion on the seperation of church and state, the constitution, etc.

It's neat to be around so many well informed people, but I am also shocked by the level of bigotry and misundertanding that is going on in that section of the forum as well.

I will be going for class of 2010! Really really excited, already found housing!
:D :D :D

chelliemarie19 said:
I will be going for class of 2010! Really really excited, already found housing!
:D :D :D

AWESOME! Congrats chelliemarie. Has everyone nailed down a time when they will be moving over there. I think I will be heading that way about the 3rd week of august or so.

jgl1980 said:
AWESOME! Congrats chelliemarie. Has everyone nailed down a time when they will be moving over there. I think I will be heading that way about the 3rd week of august or so.

you mean 3rd week of JULY right??

theresa83 said:

I'll be headed on down around the same time. I'm not looking forward to this very long trip by car. :scared:

CatsandCradles said:
I'll be headed on down around the same time. I'm not looking forward to this very long trip by car. :scared:

third week of july sounds about right. kinda depends when my apartment at woodland ackers becomes available. my wife and i were told that there is a 99% chance that one will open up for us in july sometime.

theresa83 said:

oh yeah my bad! 3rd week in july is what I meant. Theresa you catch everything :D

summer school til the 8th of August...Hopefully my prof lets me out early. I'm sure I won't but technically, you think we could miss that first week since we dont have class yet? Really sucks not having a break from school :thumbdown:

SuperDOgirl said:
Hi!

I am interested in finding out who will be joining the class of 2010 at WVSOM. I got accepted a month ago and still waiting to hear back from a few schools. I have a gut feeling that I will be going to WVSOM this coming fall. I know the tuition is steep but I am excited for the change in environment, people and lifestyle. Anyways, I just want to have a good idea of who I will be sitting in class with. So gimme a holler! :)

SuperDOgirl

Hey!!!
I am also going to WVSOM!!! I am so excited. Have you found housing? I went all the way back to the beginning of April to find a place.

CatsandCradles said:
I'm still here!!! Me!! Me!! Pick me!!! :laugh:

I've been in the Doctor's Lounge part of SDN. I have been getting into some really interesting discussion on the seperation of church and state, the constitution, etc.

It's neat to be around so many well informed people, but I am also shocked by the level of bigotry and misundertanding that is going on in that section of the forum as well.

Yea, I like posting in that section as well, especially regarding political issues. Some people are well informed, but I'm always surprised by the people who think argue with emotion and use no logic/facts whatsoever. What way do you lean politically if you don't mind me asking?

Hey guys!
I am so excited about WVSOM!! I have a few questions for anyone.
1) Does anyone know the fourth year matchlist???
2) Does anyone know when the first day of class is???
3) is anyone living in the new place they are building right across from the Byrd clinic??? (thats where I am living)
I am so excited if anyone wants to talk just write me!!! You all seem really nice and I can't wait to meet you!

Bumandme said:
Hey guys!
I am so excited about WVSOM!! I have a few questions for anyone.
1) Does anyone know the fourth year matchlist???
2) Does anyone know when the first day of class is???
3) is anyone living in the new place they are building right across from the Byrd clinic??? (thats where I am living)
I am so excited if anyone wants to talk just write me!!! You all seem really nice and I can't wait to meet you!

What's it called. My place is being built now, but I don't know if it's the same place.

bbgirl said:
What's it called. My place is being built now, but I don't know if it's the same place.
Hey
I dont know what the place is called but the land lord is JD Loudermilk. He is building it now- it is like a four apartment complex.

Bumandme said:
Hey
I dont know what the place is called but the land lord is JD Loudermilk. He is building it now- it is like a four apartment complex.
Mine is Westridge, they're townhomes, 4 per building.

bbgirl said:

Anyone else going to be living at Ridgeview??

Hey gang! Good to see the thread is still going.

I passed 2nd year woo hoo! There will be one vacant apartment here in Woodland Akers on June 9th. :laugh:

As for loans, I've never had a problem with T.H.E. and I'm one of them "Out-of-staters" with the big tuition bill.

Best health insurance plan? Blue Cross Blue shield has been good to me but I pay 160 bucks a month for it.

I'll get around to updating my website when I get some time but as for now I'm studying for my boards which I take on June 15th!

Enjoy your summer gang :D

-Richie

bbgirl said:

Hi everyone! I will also be attending WVSOM in the fall. I will be staying in a house turned apartment building on Holt Lane. Can't wait to meet you all!
Zaki :love:

Zaki said:
Hi everyone! I will also be attending WVSOM in the fall. I will be staying in a house turned apartment building on Holt Lane. Can't wait to meet you all!
Zaki :love:
I looked at that place! It was really nice, I am sure you will love it there and it is close to the school :)