WVSOM 2010 Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so...is there a female still looking for a place to live?

Members don't see this ad.

Ohmigod you guys.....most of us are going to be down there in about a month. A MONTH can you believe it?! Am I the only one that's getting nervous?

I'm just curious to see if anyone else has heard from financial aide yet. I've already filled out my THE loan applications and am waiting to hear back. I just don't know if anyone else is all done with signing their promissary notes and stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on hold with the cable service (to cancel it so I can move) right now. Thought I'd drop in. I had a bunch of PMs but I cant get them to open up. Hopefully everything is going smoothly. I stopped by and looked at your pics Duchess and I must say I am jealous. I totally need a long vacation!!!!

I'm taking boards next Thursday and I feel as prepared as I can be. I've been thru all subjects three times and I've been doing pharmacology and micro everyday. Don't know what else I can do now other than questions.

One student sent me a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg list of questions so I am going to cut and paste them here for ya after my reply, I hope they help ya out ;)

Ah and I just got a phone call from UHaul... they arse raped me... Had a truck paid and reserved 30 days in advance and they gave it away to someone else.

Anyway here's that list:

1a) Typical day for me now? Get up at 7. Shower, shave. Goto PBL group from 8-10. Go home and study till lunch. Break for a two hour lunch…go back and study at my place till evening.
1b) Sleep in till 9 or 10 (I never went to the OP&P lectures), review OMM notes, goto afternoon lab, study for PBL group till later that evening.

2) I think the core of PBL is excellent for a student who is motivated to learn on their own in a self-directed manner. We integrate clinical science with basic science from day one, therefore your thought process is going to be a little more solid when approaching a case. There are pros and cons but for me personally, the pros far outweigh the cons.

3) Outside of group, the professors are all friendly and very willing to sit down and chat. I’ve never been turned away for help..ever!

4) We take practice COMLEXs a couple times. There’s no formal board prep course though. The student body generally comes together and chips in to have someone come and do the course at the school, out of our own pockets though.

5) In PBL we integrate everything from day one, including OMM. My best friend did fine in the systems based program so I assume both paths will get you to the same endpoint.

6) In PBL there are no test challenges unless there is a glaring mistake (i.e. a miskey). In SBL you can challenge a test question in writing within 3 days. SGA has a committee that meets with faculty members to discuss direction of the programs. I’m not sure how effective SGA is though.

7) You’ll get a DVD from upperclassmen with old tests, notes, etc on it your first week at school. All lectures are recorded in MP3 format and are available for download via a secure server at the school.

8) Debbie Montgomery gets me 63,000 bucks a year for tuition. As long as you’ve never filed for bankruptcy or have poor credit, you’ll have no problem getting the full amount of student aid you need to live off of J

9) It’s enough to live decently, though not enough to go out and splurge. Such is the life of the broke medical student hehe J My supplemental income comes from computer work I do on the side as well as income from music I’ve written.

10) 92% SBL and 75 % PBL (In general, people who failed the COMLEX did not study the last month before the exam)

11) Nope I don’t but I’ve seen one floating around the studentdoctor.net forums. I know pretty much everyone gets their match.

12) Most of them match elsewhere and leave the state *flashes a big grin* Some people stay but no, you’re not locked into a west Virginia residency by any means! (I plan to go back to North Carolina myself hehe) Not that WV sucks, it’s just that malpractice is skyhigh here.

13) Never seen statistics but I hear of people matching into M.D. residencies all the time without having to take the USMLE.

14) I have Dr. Hupka as my advisor. He’s a trusted friend. Been helpful to me. But pretty much everyone has been supportive of me.

15) Tons of extra-curricular clubs here on campus. Don’t know about the intercultural medicine stuff but we do have a PAX club which is one of those “all-accepting” clubs. They just had the international festival where we cooked each other food from other countries and had south American music. We don’t do a whole lot with clinical medicine the first 2 years though. You’ll do OMM clinic your last semester where you’ll actually treat patients from the community for free. It’s a lot of fun and good practice.

16) PBL has Mandatory attendance for sessions. SBL has designated mandatory lectures but not all of them are. So yes, if you are in SBL you can skip class. In fact, a lot of people recommend ya do that to give ya more time to study. In PBL usually have ample study time.

17) Lewisburg is a nice medium-sized town. People are friendly and down to earth. You can leave your doors unlocked at night and not worry about it. Way different than Wilmington, NC is hehe. But it’s a good type of different. I was presently surprised by Lewisburg (I thought it was going to suck when I first came) and I am glad I turned down my seat at ECU to come here.

And I got out of order somehow but my study group is here now. Hope this helps ya out

Update: Yay cable canceled and UHaul found me a truck but I have to drive 2 hours to get it *Grumble grumble*

-Richie

JohnUC33 said:
I'm just curious to see if anyone else has heard from financial aide yet. I've already filled out my THE loan applications and am waiting to hear back. I just don't know if anyone else is all done with signing their promissary notes and stuff.

Back in April, the financial aid office told me that I would receive my loan package in June, but I am still waiting on it.

Has anyone received their medical terminology book? I e-mailed my advisor, Dr. Blue, and he said the school would be sending us a book in the mail.

How is everyone going to move their stuff to WVSOM?? Is there a Uhaul outfit close to Lewisburg?? I really can't believe we have about a month left before we have to move....crazy!!

wake920 said:
Back in April, the financial aid office told me that I would receive my loan package in June, but I am still waiting on it.

Has anyone received their medical terminology book? I e-mailed my advisor, Dr. Blue, and he said the school would be sending us a book in the mail.

How is everyone going to move their stuff to WVSOM?? Is there a Uhaul outfit close to Lewisburg?? I really can't believe we have about a month left before we have to move....crazy!!

You'll be getting something in June from Sharon Howard. She is the cash keeper hehe ;) There is a Uhaul here in town, the guy there is really friendly.

Don't sweat the medical terminology test. I read the book in 3 hours and made a 100. It's cake. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security though. The tests here at WVSOM are not so much multiple choice...more like "Mystical Guess" hehe ;) You'll have to study to pass em.

Let's see...anything else I can think of?.... Think I answered everything.

Got a truck, got cable canceled...got CRV loaded with stuff...heading to princeton to pick up the keys to my shiney new end-unit town house...rotations are starting and duchess continues to be the hotness.

Yep, I think today will work out gang.

Study little, party hard this summer. The med school thing is coming! :smuggrin:

Much love,
Richie

I got an email a couple of days ago in my wvsom email account reguarding financial aid lenders. I think that is the next step in the financial aid process.

wake920 said:

How did you find out who your advisor was?

ajanedo said:
I got an email a couple of days ago in my wvsom email account reguarding financial aid lenders. I think that is the next step in the financial aid process.

Richie Truxillo said:
You'll be getting something in June from Sharon Howard. She is the cash keeper hehe ;) There is a Uhaul here in town, the guy there is really friendly.

Don't sweat the medical terminology test. I read the book in 3 hours and made a 100. It's cake. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security though. The tests here at WVSOM are not so much multiple choice...more like "Mystical Guess" hehe ;) You'll have to study to pass em.

Let's see...anything else I can think of?.... Think I answered everything.

Got a truck, got cable canceled...got CRV loaded with stuff...heading to princeton to pick up the keys to my shiney new end-unit town house...rotations are starting and duchess continues to be the hotness.

Yep, I think today will work out gang.

Study little, party hard this summer. The med school thing is coming! :smuggrin:

Much love,
Richie

pimp :laugh:

Richie I think you need to re-evaluate your definition of medium sized town. ;)
It is tiny but it's very friendly and safe.

ajanedo said:
You'll get who your faculty advisor is some time during orientation. Last year they had us eat breakfast one day. I dont know if they are going to do that again or do something different this year.

ajanedo said:

I just got an e-mail one day from Dr. Blue saying that he was my advisor and to e-mail him this summer if I had any questions. Do you already have an e-mail address set up with WVSOM??

wake920 said:
I just got an e-mail one day from Dr. Blue saying that he was my advisor and to e-mail him this summer if I had any questions. Do you already have an e-mail address set up with WVSOM??

I recently checked back in with my online checklist and found that I have an email address set up now too. I just don't know how to access it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Richie I think you need to re-evaluate your definition of medium sized town.

Well a town is like under 10000 people to me. It feels like a town of 5,000 (except during rush hour hehe). Hence the medium sized town. :)

I hate at Outback steakhouse for the first time in forever this evening... it's....it's...it's just wonderful!!! Oh bloomin' onion how I did miss thee!!!!

It appears that the Bluefield/Princeton area is a high crime area but it has alot more people. Lewisburg is like a no crime zone. More cops per square mile than any other place in the world. lol

Be sure you verify any links are legit in the emails you get. Run them by Sharon or Debbie first because the email server gets lots of spam mails. I can tell you that I use "T.H.E. Education Loans" for my private loans.

Bleh I had a picture to post but I can't upload to my website now. FTP is down :(

Edit 1: Saw I sneaked the duchess comment in there eh? Gotta keep ya'll on your feet. I'm one of those people who you never know what they are going to say next. For example, ask everyone about the time Dr. Martin asked me about my kidney stone in anatomy discussion :p I'm leaving behind a legacy I tell ya... Hopefully one involving a kick-arse COMLEX score in 7 days!

-Richie

theresa83 said:
so...is there a female still looking for a place to live?

I apologize for the slight change of topic as I humbly admit I can't figure out how to post a new message.

I'm trying to get down to Lewisburg tomorrow to look for an apartment. If anyone who can't get down there would like me to take some photos for you I'll be happy to help. Just let me know which apartment(s) you're interested in from the list, and I'll do my best to see them and send you the photos.

Jeff

CatsandCradles said:
http://break.com/index/bullpoker.html

Look at this freaky video of people playing poker! I found it in another part of SDN! :scared:

what?! crazy! why would they get people from the CROWD to participate, did they have to sign a waiver saying if they were injured or if they died, the rodeo would not be at fault? what the heck?!

This may be a dense question, but what classes are we taking first semester in the SBL track?
I thought maybe I would start looking for some of the textbooks online while i have the free time to do so!
Thanks!

So, you got your log in info ([email protected] and random # password) from the admissions account site (ssn & bd log in).

You go to
Students ->Network and Communication => Student Web Imail Access
from the wvsom site and use your given name and password.

Hope that's understandable. I've gotten about a dozen email from students and financial aid. I happened to notice the other day that they are still sending email to my old university account as well. Email is going everywhere! Good thing we have this site to clarify the confusion. Best of Luck!
:D

theresa83 said:
I recently checked back in with my online checklist and found that I have an email address set up now too. I just don't know how to access it.

I found a list of all required texts at the WVSOM bookstore's site. Can't really decipher which ones are needed SBL I or SBL II. There is also a school catalog that describes all of the classes. Maybe the two sources could be put together to come up with the list.

briannarenee316 said:
This may be a dense question, but what classes are we taking first semester in the SBL track?
I thought maybe I would start looking for some of the textbooks online while i have the free time to do so!
Thanks!

ajanedo said:
I found a list of all required texts at the WVSOM bookstore's site. Can't really decipher which ones are needed SBL I or SBL II. There is also a school catalog that describes all of the classes. Maybe the two sources could be put together to come up with the list.

Yeah, thats what i found.... it just says "required" but not WHO they are required for.... :) oh well... im sure someone knows...

briannarenee316 said:
Yeah, thats what i found.... it just says "required" but not WHO they are required for.... :) oh well... im sure someone knows...

I don't know either but I do know you'll be studying the professor handouts mainly. Learn to love powerpoint slides!

Bye Bye lewisburg :) :)

guitarsmash.jpg

-Richie

So I came across a thread about the US News Medical School Ranking and how it's not a really good source to rank the schools and that there isn't anything to back them up.

HEre's the link
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=288907

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this considering WVSOM holds itself highly on the fact that US News ranked them top 50 in primary care and top 10 in rural medicine.

I didn't see any of "us" over at that thread, so I thought I'd bring it here.

theresa83 said:
So I came across a thread about the US News Medical School Ranking and how it's not a really good source to rank the schools and that there isn't anything to back them up.

HEre's the link
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=288907

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this considering WVSOM holds itself highly on the fact that US News ranked them top 50 in primary care and top 10 in rural medicine.

I didn't see any of "us" over at that thread, so I thought I'd bring it here.

I don't know much about the validity of the article. Yet, from having shadowed/known several WVSOM graduates, they appear as competent as any other physicians I've worked with. So I believe we'll get the right tools at WVSOM...just depends upon us how we use them. my $.02

I see that many people are talking about using THE for loans, both stafford and private. I am a little behind on the financial aid thing. T.H.E. and others have limits. If we take out stafford from them, do we need another lender for private or do I have this all backward and we use a lender like this for private. Some help for the monitarily challenged folk.

I heard somewhere that we cap out at 180,000 with Stafford and GradPlus Loans. If you are an out-of-stater like me that leaves about 30,000 to go. I am hoping that I misunderstood that.

Have I offically complained about out of state tution yet? Well it stinks! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I don't have a DO school in my home state. :eek:

bbgirl said:
I see that many people are talking about using THE for loans, both stafford and private. I am a little behind on the financial aid thing. T.H.E. and others have limits. If we take out stafford from them, do we need another lender for private or do I have this all backward and we use a lender like this for private. Some help for the monitarily challenged folk.

ajanedo said:
I heard somewhere that we cap out at 180,000 with Stafford and GradPlus Loans. If you are an out-of-stater like me that leaves about 30,000 to go. I am hoping that I misunderstood that.

Have I offically complained about out of state tution yet? Well it stinks! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I got $8,500 in Subsidized, $750 in Perkins, and $30,000 in Unsubsidized (6.5%) totalling $157,000 and the rest is going to be coming from private loans :eek: at 8.5% interest.

Hello everyone,

I am new to SDN but I love it. I will be going to WVSOM this fall. Anyone here from around Lewisburg area or is everyone from out of state? I am from W.S.S. (5 minutes from the O school.) So I guess if anyone has any questions about the area they can shoot them my way if they want. See everyone in a few weeks.

spacityDO said:
Hello everyone,

I am new to SDN but I love it. I will be going to WVSOM this fall. Anyone here from around Lewisburg area or is everyone from out of state? I am from W.S.S. (5 minutes from the O school.) So I guess if anyone has any questions about the area they can shoot them my way if they want. See everyone in a few weeks.
I hate in-staters. j/k :D I'm jealous.

Don't be jealous. Imagine my boredom with being stuck back home for a few more years? AHHHHHH! lol. Rock on, we will make it a good time.

spacityDO said:
Hello everyone,

AH HA!

A West Virginian!

(Grrr......cat is so envious....grrrowlll) :smuggrin: :laugh: :thumbup:

What does WSS stand for?

spacityDO said:
Hello everyone,

ajanedo said:

I emailed the manager of the school bookstore, and she said that the list of required textbooks on the website is for last years students. She's still waiting to hear from most of the professors as to which books they will definitely be using this next year.

I did get her to tell me the three textbooks she knows of that are set in stone:
Moore: Clinically Oriented Anatomy 0781736390 ($72.95)
Marks: Basic Medical Biochemistry 0781721458 ($57.95)
Leonard: Medical Terminology 0721696244 ($39.95)

This all comes as a bummer to me though, since I work at a bookstore and get an extra 10% off on top of my usual discount this weekend. It would have been nice to get my textbooks 40% off :( , although I guess I shouldn't really complain :)

Yet another bummer: she said she recommended getting the anatomy textbook now, as they will be sending out a letter soon with required reading for the summer.

ouch! summer required reading! it feels like school is closing in on us already!

thanks for all the book info though!

Sunkyst said:
I emailed the manager of the school bookstore, and she said that the list of required textbooks on the website is for last years students. She's still waiting to hear from most of the professors as to which books they will definitely be using this next year.

I did get her to tell me the three textbooks she knows of that are set in stone:
Moore: Clinically Oriented Anatomy 0781736390 ($72.95)
Marks: Basic Medical Biochemistry 0781721458 ($57.95)
Leonard: Medical Terminology 0721696244 ($39.95)

This all comes as a bummer to me though, since I work at a bookstore and get an extra 10% off on top of my usual discount this weekend. It would have been nice to get my textbooks 40% off :( , although I guess I shouldn't really complain :)

Yet another bummer: she said she recommended getting the anatomy textbook now, as they will be sending out a letter soon with required reading for the summer.

Hey, thanks for the info on the boooks. I'm sure everyone here already knows, but in case some don't, USE half.com for your books if you have the money to order them ahead of time. Like for the terminology book listed, I just did a quick search and found some ranging from $3 for decent to $10.00 for practically new ones.

Hi everyone,

I'm from a nearby state to West VA and was wondering what are my chances of getting into WVSOM next year. What are the average stats? regarding MCAT scores. What is the lowest MCAT score that they would accept?

docmon said:
Hi everyone,

I'm from a nearby state to West VA and was wondering what are my chances of getting into WVSOM next year. What are the average stats? regarding MCAT scores. What is the lowest MCAT score that they would accept?

I really dont think there is a set MCAT score, but honestly, with any school, the higher the better... Definitely dont' shoot for the lowest score that you can squeak by with... You just never know what will sway an admissions commitee in your favor or not.

If you are worried about your score, take a Kaplan course or one of the other review courses. I took one and it helped me immensely! My score went up 8 points which is a lot for the MCAT...

Also, the earlier you apply, the better, because its rolling admissions.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions about the admissions process you can pm me.

I can't seem to find the place where I can access this information:

So, you got your log in info ([email protected] and random # password) from the admissions account site (ssn & bd log in).

How did you get there? Thanks!

t2jmnihs647 said:
I can't seem to find the place where I can access this information:

How did you get there? Thanks!

it should be at the bottom of that summary page, where you got all the forms etc. to send in

briannarenee316 said:
Crissy - I'm definitely sad about leaving the beach as well! Im going to try and get as much sand time as I can before fall!

J - I already have a "place"... Its kind of funny, because it isn't BUILT yet... but supposedly it will be ready by july! So im keeping my fingers crossed on that one. It seems like it will be nice, as it is brand new and supposedly right across the street from campus (especially since there is no caf)

I did get it sight unseen, as that was really the only option I had as I didn't want to fly all the way out there just to look at apartments.

Do you not have a place yet? I got the number out of the WVSOM housing handbook... If you dont' have a place yet, you might want to start calling pretty quickly as the majority of the places I called about were already taken.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Hey B,

I was in Lewisburg this weekend. Is the not yet built place you're moving to Ridgeview Apartments? If so, they are indeed very nice, but they are not across the street from the school. It's about an 8 minute drive.

J

RedSoxDO said:
Hey B,

I was in Lewisburg this weekend. Is the not yet built place you're moving to Ridgeview Apartments? If so, they are indeed very nice, but they are not across the street from the school. It's about an 8 minute drive.

J

no its not ridgeview... i dont think these apts. have a name at all... except "brianna's new home" i guess :)
did you find a place to live?

briannarenee316 said:
no its not ridgeview... i dont think these apts. have a name at all... except "brianna's new home" i guess :)
did you find a place to live?

I found two places, and I'm trying to decide. One was the aforementioned Ridgeview. They are very nice, but they might not be ready by August 1, so it would be a bit of a gamble. The other was a 3 bedroom house in Ronceverte that was killer, but it was a little out of the way, I'd have to pay for July rent while living up here, and the heating bill could be frightening. When do you plan on moving to BNH?

ajanedo said:

In case this wasn't made clear---
I just talked to Debbie. The ~180,000 cap is on federal loans, the rest is from private/grad plus. (This cap matters only if you have undergrad,etc, loans of >~30,000. Otherwise it's the 38,500 plus perkins assuming no EFC.

Have y'all sent in all of the forms: health,etc?

bbgirl said:
Have y'all sent in all of the forms: health,etc?
I've not gotten any forms. Did the school send them to you? The last I spoke with Annette or Sharon I was told there was nothing for me to do at this point, that I should wait and hear from them.

RedSoxDO said:
I found two places, and I'm trying to decide. One was the aforementioned Ridgeview. They are very nice, but they might not be ready by August 1, so it would be a bit of a gamble. The other was a 3 bedroom house in Ronceverte that was killer, but it was a little out of the way, I'd have to pay for July rent while living up here, and the heating bill could be frightening. When do you plan on moving to BNH?

hmm... yeah, that could be a little scary, being unsure if they will be ready... you could always sleep on my floor for a day or two if it came down to it :)

how close are those apts.? I just wanted one that was as close as possible, so that i could run home for lunch and stuff...

I should be in town by july 25... i think... im in a wedding on the 22nd, which is close by, so i'll be coming straight from that...
When are you moving in?

briannarenee316 said:
hmm... yeah, that could be a little scary, being unsure if they will be ready... you could always sleep on my floor if it came down to it :)

how close are those apts.? I just wanted one that was as close as possible, so that i could run home for lunch and stuff...

I should be in town by july 25... i think... im in a wedding on the 22nd, which is close by, so i'll be coming straight from that...
When are you moving in?

Well, thanks for the offer. Hopefully, I won't need it.

My place is an 8 minute drive. I wanted to be in walking distance, but the only place I found that close was a furnished apartment, and I have too much stuff. I didn't see any new construction near the school, but they could have been right under my nose.

I'm planning on coming down August 1st. My last day of work is July 7th. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to Paris for a bit. Have fun at the wedding. Do you have to wear a dress with poofy shoulders that the bride claims you can wear again?

ooh, like paris france? i LOVE that place!

lol... no poofy shoulders, but its pretty ugly nonetheless... im sure i will never wear it again... unless of course, i wear it for the white coat ceremony.... :)

briannarenee316 said:
ooh, like paris france? i LOVE that place!

lol... no poofy shoulders, but its pretty ugly nonetheless... im sure i will never wear it again... unless of course, i wear it for the white coat ceremony.... :)

Wear it to anatomy lab :D