WVSOM 2010 Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Canuck99 said:
geez, what happened to this thread? where did everyone go?

I'm still here! I was just gone in Europe for awhile...which was AMAZING by the way!!! Glad to see that this thread is still going. Congrats to anyone who has gotten accepted since the last time I was here. Can't wait to meet all of you classmates. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Duchess said:
I'm still here! I was just gone in Europe for awhile...which was AMAZING by the way!!! Glad to see that this thread is still going. Congrats to anyone who has gotten accepted since the last time I was here. Can't wait to meet all of you classmates. :D

Europe eh? You're so lucky! All I get to do is study anymore. 23 days and counting woo woo! :D I smoked my OSCEs last week which helped my confidence too. So I'm flying high.

I hope you all are going to enjoy your summer to the max! The shock and awe of med school is coming! (but really, it isn't THAT bad)

Lemme know if ya'll have any other questions. I try to check my sdn stuff at least once a day!

Much love,
Richie

anyone know anything about ronceverte? i was told it's about 4 miles from school. i'm looking for a place there. just wondering if anyone knows if its a good/nice area? any info anybody?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are several students that live there. Apparenlty it used to be quite the booming town. Not so much anymore. My only complaint with the place is that the speed limit there is insanely slow. Something like 25 miles/hour. Not that it really matters as its pretty small.

is there any female out there still looking to share a place? PM me, i may have some info... :)

Welcome back,

Europe is awesome!! Last summer, I went on a study abroad to Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales, France, and Italy, and it was one my most enjoyable experiences thus far. How about you? Where did you visit? You can PM me if you like....

Duchess said:

So when is our white coat ceremony? I here it varies from school to school. Sorry if ya'll have already talked about it, but humor me anyway :)

ajanedo said:
So when is our white coat ceremony? I here it varies from school to school. Sorry if ya'll have already talked about it, but humor me anyway :)

I had called admissions about that same question a few months ago. The date they gave me was September 9th. My parents are coming down for it and all, so I hope we don't have any big exams to study for during that time.

This is my 500th post. :scared:

I think I am beggining to show signs of SDN addiction.

CatsandCradles said:
This is my 500th post. :scared:

I think I am beggining to show signs of SDN addiction.
You're better off than I am. At 1000+ posts I am currently in rehab. :laugh:

JohnUC33 said:
I had called admissions about that same question a few months ago. The date they gave me was September 9th. My parents are coming down for it and all, so I hope we don't have any big exams to study for during that time.
Do you know what time white coat is?? Is it morning or evening???
Thanks sooo much for any info

Bumandme said:
Do you know what time white coat is?? Is it morning or evening???
Thanks sooo much for any info
The white coat ceremony takes place at the state fair so I'm guessing it's late morning or around noon. Having said that you might want to wait for the real answer from a current student. :D

Last year it was in the morning. Sometime before one cause I remember going to eat lunch afterwards with some friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureDocDO said:
You're better off than I am. At 1000+ posts I am currently in rehab. :laugh:

Oh no! Where are you going for you rehab for addiction to SDN? I am considering going to the Mayo Clinic :laugh:

SK8DOC said:
Welcome back,

Europe is awesome!! Last summer, I went on a study abroad to Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales, France, and Italy, and it was one my most enjoyable experiences thus far. How about you? Where did you visit? You can PM me if you like....

SK8DOC,

We kind of hopped around. We started in London, then went to Paris, Barcelona, Venice, and Rome. Gorgeous; all of it! I am so jealous that you went to Scotland and Ireland, those are two countries that I want to see one day. Maybe next time.

I help other people are traveling this summer too! It'll be good memories to last you through the crazy first year. I'm starting to get nervous now that I'm looking up movers and such. :scared:

Duchess said:
SK8DOC,

We kind of hopped around. We started in London, then went to Paris, Barcelona, Venice, and Rome. Gorgeous; all of it! I am so jealous that you went to Scotland and Ireland, those are two countries that I want to see one day. Maybe next time.

I help other people are traveling this summer too! It'll be good memories to last you through the crazy first year. I'm starting to get nervous now that I'm looking up movers and such. :scared:

Nice. I, too, went to Rome and London as well as Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Liverpool, York, Stonehenge, Dublin, Paris, and Holyhead. By far, Edinburgh was the best place to visit. There is an incredible view of Edinburgh Castle right in the middle of the city up a cobblestone road called the Royal Mile where you can find Scottish bagpipers piping away! Dublin was nice. The city has a lot to offer, especially the area known as Temple BAAAH. Sorry, Irish pronounciation, it is really Temple Bar.

SK8DOC said:
Nice. I, too, went to Rome and London as well as Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Liverpool, York, Stonehenge, Dublin, Paris, and Holyhead. By far, Edinburgh was the best place to visit. There is an incredible view of Edinburgh Castle right in the middle of the city up a cobblestone road called the Royal Mile where you can find Scottish bagpipers piping away! Dublin was nice. The city has a lot to offer, especially the area known as Temple BAAAH. Sorry, Irish pronounciation, it is really Temple Bar.

I am right there with you on Dublin and Temple Bar, but you need to go to the Cliffs of Moher on the West side of the country.....AMAZING!!

Did you visit the Whiskey museum in Edinburgh? That was probably 90% of the reason my brother and I went there ;)

wake920 said:
I am right there with you on Dublin and Temple Bar, but you need to go to the Cliffs of Moher on the West side of the country.....AMAZING!!

Did you visit the Whiskey museum in Edinburgh? That was probably 90% of the reason my brother and I went there ;)

Yeah, It was part of our whiskey tour...some of the craziest whiskey I've ever tasted. I was dissapointed to not have the chance to visit the Western and Southern coastal regions as I have heard elsewhere that Ireland's true beauty lies in these regions. Dublin=typical big city

Hello everyone!

I'll be joining you in the fall - I was accepted back in February, but with my last semester of undergrad and a wedding to plan, I just didn't have the time to bum around on the internet like I wanted to. Now that's all over, so I can finally spend the time to get to know the people I'll be spending the next couple years with! I hope you're all enjoying your summer vacations - I know I am :D

I'm going to be in Lewisburg today to look at some apartments. If anyone is around shoot me a text at 317-345-6782.

Speaking of living arrangements, I kinda waited a little too long to look for somewhere to live. Is anyone still looking for a roomate and/or know of anywhere that still has places to rent (I have no criteria for whom I live with). To be honest, I would live with me if I could.

User Name said:
Speaking of living arrangements, I kinda waited a little too long to look for somewhere to live. Is anyone still looking for a roomate and/or know of anywhere that still has places to rent (I have no criteria for whom I live with). To be honest, I would live with me if I could.

are you male or female? send me a PM (because I couldnt' send you one, you have it disabled) I am still looking for a female roomate if anyone is interested!!!! I have an apartment already, just waiting to sign the lease. PM me ASAP! thanks.

wake920 said:
I'm going to be in Lewisburg today to look at some apartments. If anyone is around shoot me a text at 317-345-6782.

Are you still in town? I'm in town today and tomorrow searching for an apartment. Anyone else around?

Last edited:
HoosierDoctor said:
Are you still in town? I'm in town today and tomorrow searching for an apartment. Anyone else around?

Nathan

sorry I'm back in Indianapolis.

Has anyone heard from the finacial aid office yet?

RD330 said:
Has anyone heard from the finacial aid office yet?

I recieved a letter about a month ago and gave me a time period to call and talk about Fin Aid. We don't have to do the private loans until mid July. Hope this helps.

I would have to agree with everyone about temple bar in dublin but of you have not partied in Galway then you are missing a truely enjoyable experience! The place is freaking awesome. Also the Cliffs of Moher is probably my favorite place in Ireland! The drive to the cliffs along to coast is also amazing!!! Hope everyone is having a great summer before the madness begins!

Hi! I just found this site so im really excited!

My name is Brianna and I'm coming to WVSOM from California. I will be doing the SBL track... I'm totally excited but pretty nervous.

I'll be getting to WV about the 25th of July... When is everyone else coming in?

Is there anyone else here from Cali? I know when I interviewd at WVSOM about 1/2 of us were from cali... so im sure there will be at least a couple of us that actually attend.

Well, just wanted to check in and introduce myself, hope to hear from all of you!

Ciao!

P.S. Is anyone doing/considering doing HPSP?? I was thinking of signing with the navy (there are lots of heated debates about this in the military medicine thread) just wondering if any of you WVSOMers are doing it?

I was wondering if any of you class of 2010 are already in Lewisburg?

briannarenee316 said:

My name is Brianna and I'm coming to WVSOM from California. I will be doing the SBL track... I'm totally excited but pretty nervous.

I'll be getting to WV about the 25th of July... When is everyone else coming in?

Is there anyone else here from Cali? I know when I interviewd at WVSOM about 1/2 of us were from cali... so im sure there will be at least a couple of us that actually attend.

Well, just wanted to check in and introduce myself, hope to hear from all of you!

Ciao!

P.S. Is anyone doing/considering doing HPSP?? I was thinking of signing with the navy (there are lots of heated debates about this in the military medicine thread) just wondering if any of you WVSOMers are doing it?

Hey!!!
Congrats! I think one of the girls I interviewed with is from Cali. I am coming to Lewisburg the first weekend in Aug (kinda late, but I love being in a rush!). Where are you living?
Oh by the way, my name is Crissy and I am from Va (anyone else from VA?) - so sad about leaving the beach! I am also doing SBL-- anyone else doing SBL?
Can't wait to meet everyone

briannarenee316 said:

Ciao!

I started the process of signing up for the Air Force, went through the physical, interviewed and started the paperwork, but they ran our of scholarships, so I'll have to do it next year. As long as you are comfortable with three things it's a fantastic deal:

1. You have to go into primary care

2. You go anywhere they want you to go. This includes Iraq, even if you're a pediatrician. Granted, your percent chance of being stationed as a pediatrician in a combat area is close to zero, but you can't go into this thinking you'll wind up in a base near your hometown. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

3. You belong to the military for 4 years or 5 years after residency. Inactive duty is still duty.

Other than that, it's an incredible deal. You walk into a practice after residency. You're a commissioned officer. If you stay in for 20 years the pension is fantastic, and you can't be sued, so there's no malpractice to worry about.

On a different note, how are you planning on arranging your housing? Will you get a place site unseen or come down early? I'm coming from Mass, so I'd rather not make an extra trip, but I don't want to move into a place I haven't visited.

J

Crissy - I'm definitely sad about leaving the beach as well! Im going to try and get as much sand time as I can before fall!

J - I already have a "place"... Its kind of funny, because it isn't BUILT yet... but supposedly it will be ready by july! So im keeping my fingers crossed on that one. It seems like it will be nice, as it is brand new and supposedly right across the street from campus (especially since there is no caf)

I did get it sight unseen, as that was really the only option I had as I didn't want to fly all the way out there just to look at apartments.

Do you not have a place yet? I got the number out of the WVSOM housing handbook... If you dont' have a place yet, you might want to start calling pretty quickly as the majority of the places I called about were already taken.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

briannarenee316 said:

Ciao!

Hello! Yeah, another Californian! I'm from Orange County. How about you?
I'm heading over there around the 28th of July.

Hi theresa! Im down here in san diego... glad to find another californian!

briannarenee316 said:
Hi theresa! Im down here in san diego... glad to find another californian!

For those of us who are getting to Lewisburg early we should plan to all get together! I for one dont' want to be lonely while waiting for school to start!

Also, is anyone here from Lewisburg? I need to buy a car once I get there... know of any good places?

briannarenee316 said:
For those of us who are getting to Lewisburg early we should plan to all get together! I for one dont' want to be lonely while waiting for school to start!

Also, is anyone here from Lewisburg? I need to buy a car once I get there... know of any good places?

whats up everyone!! I will be there around the last week of July! I got a place at woodland acres. I am also in the SBL pathway. I will be moving up that way from Georgia. looking forward to it!

I havent posted on here, been more of an observer. Ill be headed to Lewisburg the first week of Aug. Living in Ridgeview Apts. Brianna yeah I decided to do the HPSP with the Air Force it was a big decision for me but I decided it was worth it with everything considered. I am not sure why RedsoxDO is saying you have to go into primary care...To my knowledge you can go into whatever you want as long as your competitive. Let me know if you want any more info. Cant wait to meet you all.

genericmedst said:
I havent posted on here, been more of an observer. Ill be headed to Lewisburg the first week of Aug. Living in Ridgeview Apts. Brianna yeah I decided to do the HPSP with the Air Force it was a big decision for me but I decided it was worth it with everything considered. I am not sure why RedsoxDO is saying you have to go into primary care...To my knowledge you can go into whatever you want as long as your competitive. Let me know if you want any more info. Cant wait to meet you all.

Actually, that was my fault. I got it mixed up with NHSC. For that you need to go into primary care. I know a guy who did Air Force and is in Emergency Medicine. He had a very good experience.

I saw some posts on here about a medical terminology quiz the first week and a book we are supposed to have for that? I was not told anything about that at the time of the interview...
Does anyone have the final word on this, and what book we need (if we need one)? Many thanks for all your help!

briannarenee316 said:
Crissy - I'm definitely sad about leaving the beach as well! Im going to try and get as much sand time as I can before fall!

J - I already have a "place"... Its kind of funny, because it isn't BUILT yet... but supposedly it will be ready by july! So im keeping my fingers crossed on that one. It seems like it will be nice, as it is brand new and supposedly right across the street from campus (especially since there is no caf)

I did get it sight unseen, as that was really the only option I had as I didn't want to fly all the way out there just to look at apartments.

Do you not have a place yet? I got the number out of the WVSOM housing handbook... If you dont' have a place yet, you might want to start calling pretty quickly as the majority of the places I called about were already taken.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Hey!!
I am living in the same place you are!!! hello neighbor!!!!

briannarenee316 said:
I saw some posts on here about a medical terminology quiz the first week and a book we are supposed to have for that? I was not told anything about that at the time of the interview...
Does anyone have the final word on this, and what book we need (if we need one)? Many thanks for all your help!

From what I've gathered, any ole medical terminology book will suffice (but I'm not a final authority). You could always call the book store for specifics, but I've heard that the quiz is so easy that most terminology books will prepare you for it.

Bumandme said:
Hey!!
I am living in the same place you are!!! hello neighbor!!!!

Crissy - WOO HOO!! SOOO nice to have a neighbor already!! thats awesome!! Oh by the way, have you seen the location or anything? He said he would send me some pictures soon, but i have yet to recieve them....

Is there anyone else on here who is going to be living with us?? I.E. in the places that are not built yet??

Woohoo... we will have to plan a moving in party!! I can't wait!!

Another Georgia Boy, here!!! Driving up to Lewisberg later this week to check out the housing situation. Anybody happen to get a nice feel for any place in particular.

Maybe if some of you all are interested, we could get a group of us to go caving at the Lost World Caverns. When I interviewed, I did the main hall tour at the Lost World Caverns. Not messy at all!! However, the owner provides an additional dirty experience as a he heads up a personal guided expedition into the many caverns under the foothills surrounding the Lewisberg area. It is supposed to be a great team building exercise as well as an incedible way to get to know future classmates.

SK8DOC said:
Another Georgia Boy, here!!! Driving up to Lewisberg later this week to check out the housing situation. Anybody happen to get a nice feel for any place in particular.

Maybe if some of you all are interested, we could get a group of us to go caving at the Lost World Caverns. When I interviewed, I did the main hall tour at the Lost World Caverns. Not messy at all!! However, the owner provides an additional dirty experience as a he heads up a personal guided expedition into the many caverns under the foothills surrounding the Lewisberg area. It is supposed to be a great team building exercise as well as an incedible way to get to know future classmates.

Sounds like a great idea SK8DOC... i think quite a few ppl will be in lewisburg a week or two before orientation week starts, so that would be a good time to do it... we need to cram in every last bit of summer fun too!

briannarenee316 said:
Sounds like a great idea SK8DOC... i think quite a few ppl will be in lewisburg a week or two before orientation week starts, so that would be a good time to do it... we need to cram in every last bit of summer fun too!

Welcome to L-town Brianna! :)

Too bad I am leaving L-town though. These first two years will fly by faster than ya know it!

Get to know each other before school starts if ya can!

-Richie

SK8DOC said:

I'm definately down for that. I'll be there the last weekend of July...so the week before orientation sounds great. Hey, what part of GA you coming from? I went to school in Chattanooga so I know a little about GA since I was right on the line. I actually went caving a few times in GA anyways.

briannarenee316 said:
Crissy - WOO HOO!! SOOO nice to have a neighbor already!! thats awesome!! Oh by the way, have you seen the location or anything? He said he would send me some pictures soon, but i have yet to recieve them....

Is there anyone else on here who is going to be living with us?? I.E. in the places that are not built yet??

Woohoo... we will have to plan a moving in party!! I can't wait!!

Yeah! The location is GREAT!!! it is right across from the school- we can totally walk to school!!! Which apartment are you living in? I am living in one of the bottom ones with my HUGE 200lb dog! Her name is XEna and everyone come over and visit us and meet her!!!!!!! I forgot- where in cali are you from??? my roomate that I lived with for my masters is from cali and I am going to miss her :-(

Bumandme said:
Yeah! The location is GREAT!!! it is right across from the school- we can totally walk to school!!! Which apartment are you living in? I am living in one of the bottom ones with my HUGE 200lb dog! Her name is XEna and everyone come over and visit us and meet her!!!!!!! I forgot- where in cali are you from??? my roomate that I lived with for my masters is from cali and I am going to miss her :-(

im not sure which unit i will be living in... the details that i have gotten from the landlord have been sketchy at best! are the units all connected?

im pretty much scared of large dogs... so this should be interesting! :) lol...

im from san diego... what did you get your masters in?

JohnUC33,

I'm from the A. So, it's about a two hour drive from Chattanooga. If you get a chance to visit, the new Georgia Aquarium is crazy. Chattanooga has a nice aquarium, too. I was just up that way for an interview I had in Nashville at Meharry back in late April.

I'm interested in meeting some of my fellow PBL'ers for the class of 2010. It seems like everyone who posts here is SBL. So any of yo PBL'ers out there? And whats your reason (s) for going with that track?

Someone should check out the trailer which is two over from mine. One of the landlords took me over and showed it to me yesterday. It's furnished, two bedrooms, apartment-sized washer and dryer for $225 a month. They definitely don't allow dogs for pets :( . But the owners are great, and my neighbors are getting better :) . Send me an e-mail and I'll be happy to send more info.

Peace,

Vicky

[email protected]