Yale V/S UPMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bipolar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be your reasons to rank one over the other.

Would it affect the career path much.

Any suggestions really appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Yale: Forensics
UPMC: Research

I would go to yale because I work in the private world and not in pittsburgh. UPMC, although an excellent program, is virtually unknown in many parts of the country to the average shmoe. This does matter when people pick you to be their psychiatrist.

If you are going to get a job at an HMO or at an academic setting, they are both excellent.

I agree with the above. I think location is also a big factor. Pittsburgh is closer to the midwest, 5 hours from Philly, low cost of living. New Haven is ~2 hours from Boston and even closer to NYC but more expensive. New Haven is more of a college town that revolves very much around the presence of Yale. Pittsburgh consists of the remnants of the steel industry.

I got the impression that psychotherapy, although not absent at Pitt, is stressed more at Yale. I know there is a psychoanalytic institute in New Haven where residents can take classes, etc. I can't remember if there is one in Pittsburgh...

Yale also has the 3 months in second year that you can devote to whatever you want. Residents there are also allowed to take classes at the university for free, so if you're interested in an MPH or something along those lines, Yale might be the better place for you. However, if you're interested in research, and are not sure what kind, Pittsburgh seems to have more options, and the research track at Pitt seems very doable from the residents who I talked to there. Of course, Yale has research too, so if you can find what you want there than it's a non-issue.