Your Experience as a Psy.D. Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CogNeuroGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to gear this post specifically towards current or previous Psy.D. students. I have seen several Psy.D. students post on this forum intermittently and would love to generate a more communal exchange of stories and words of wisdom from the other side of the table. Generally speaking, could you provide a brief synopsis of your time spent in the program and your overall satisfaction level (employment, debt, matching, post-doc). I think this would be a nice transition from some of the more recent Psy.D. vs. Ph.D. threads being revitalized. Simply put, share your experience, even the ups and downs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey CogNeuro,
I attend a university-based PsyD program. Regarding class sizes, we had a cohort of 19, and the reasons I attended were fourfold: 1. It was close to my undergrad institution and not far from family/friends. 2. It was partially funded. 3. Solid accredited match rates and 4. I partied/ was lazy all throughout undergrad and only got involved with research during my senior year and couldn't get into a fully funded program. My GPA and GRE were stellar, but without evidence to suggest responsible and dedicated research interests, I only ended up getting 1 PhD interview offer. Had I gotten a funded PhD offer I probably would’ve taken it (albeit I completely would not have deserved it).

Regarding support, I can only speak for my school, and I imagine this varies greatly between Uni-based and FSPS’s, but my level of support throughout the process was great. I worked in a neuropsych lab (my initial interest area) which eventually led to my thesis and dissertation, and was supported greatly throughout that process. Regarding practicums, they were all paid, and we didn’t have to “compete” for spots like I’ve seen on here. If you wanted to eventually work in a VA, you got VA pracs; if you wanted prison experience, you worked in prison pracs; same goes for state psychiatric institutions. All of my colleagues who were interested in neuro/rehab/ forensics were all well-prepared come internship app time. One thing I would stress to future prospective PsyD students is to know the number of faculty to students. You want to be able to develop a strong relationship with a mentor, and some programs just can't accomodate this I imagine based on the cohort sizes.

In regards to my own experiences, I’m a bit of an outlier, so I really would stress, don’t go by me lol. I initially did not think I was going to be able to apply for internship because at my school we have to have all of our data run and an initial first draft of our dissertation into our DCT before we can apply. I barely got this done by the deadline, and as a result I essentially found my sites, got my letters of rec, wrote my essays and did the whole internship application process in about five days. (I'm also a bit of a procrastinator, as you could probably surmise; I'm working on that though lol) I was very lucky and received all forensic site interviews and matched at my number 1. (Again, I stress do not do this if you are not one that likes working ‘under the gun’ and also if you’re not interpersonally savvy [I tend to interview well]). I also ended up getting multiple interviews and offers for forensic fellowships. (Again, I am by no means stellar, but I’m also probably not modal, in that I tend to interview well and am a bit of a charmer). Friends of mine in my program also ended up getting AMC/VA fellowships for neuropsych and rehab.

Regarding debt, I definitely accrued some over the course of my five years. In regards to this you've really got to have a plan. Some of my friends are doing NHSC loan payback. For me, the goal has always been to get a full time gig with the govt at a state hospital, while also doing private practice on the side. I’m currently in talks with a former supervisor to work 15-20 hours/week at his forensic practice on top of a 9-5. I also don’t have kids and do not plan to for at least 10 years (I’m applying to night law schools after fellowship). Here’s the thing though, and I’m going to be completely honest about this; had I not gotten an APA internship, I would for real be screwed. I wasn’t super concerned at the time, but looking back, there would be no way I could reasonably have a chance to pay off the debt had I not matched at an accredited site. I saw a fellow colleague at a nearby program not match for two years in a row, and now has no way of reasonably paying off their debt, and it will ultimately come back on taxpayers. Match rates, match rates, match rates---so important people. Know these before getting in heavy.

Regarding the negatives, I definitely did not get enough exposure to statistics. We had two courses and an elective. I’ve essentially had to do that work on my own to make sure I’m at a competent level for practice. I completely agree with many of the posters on here that say that should be integral to the training. I felt that we got slightly above what an advanced undergraduate might receive. I kind of feel like I got “jipped” there.

Overall, I’m mostly satisfied with the training I received. Like I said, I imagine that there are going to be differences between programs. I do want to stress that all of the things I am saying that were good about my schoool are by no means special. Any good PhD or PsyD program in clincal psych should have them as a basic part of their training model. Also, it might not be advisable to go to a school that is advertising to their prospective students. Not a good sign people. I can’t stress enough one thing; know the match rates!

Members don't see this ad :)
Buckeyelove, can I message you a question? Its kinda forensicy...not an area I have much experience in.

As a PsyD student, I am very satisfied with the level of training that I received in my program. I had excellent professors who all had both research and clinical experience. My practicum experiences were excellent and some of them were paid positions. I was able to get my first choice in an APA approved internship and have not had difficulty securing employment after graduation and was able to get licensed in two different states. I completed an original research dissertation. It was qualitative and I didn't choose that because of an aversion to statistics. I actually have taught Research Methods so am fairly well-versed in statistical analysis. Rather, that was the best way to answer the research question. In fact, because of the nature of the population, people in an anonymous 12-step organization, it was the only way to conduct the research.

Do I have a lot of debt? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes. Do I second-guess some of my decisions along the way? Yes, but I try not to spend too much time doing that. Not very productive. Probably my biggest regret has to do with not getting involved in research more during undergrad. Some of this was my own fault for not knowing what I wanted to do when I grew up and some of that was because so many undergrad psych majors are not really into the field and put pressure to dumb things down and make it easier for them! I almost wish they had two different undergrad psych majors.

Back to my graduate school. I had an amazing experience and learned much from the professors that I continue to apply in my everyday practice. I almost wish that I could have continued collaborating with some of them more, but we all get so busy that it makes it hard. I do stay up on some of their latest books and that helps. When I read the book, I can hear them saying it like we were in class again.

Reactions: 1 user
I attended a university-based Psy.D. program. Overall I thought I recevied a well-rounded education, but I had to seek out additional opportunities in research and statistics. I wasn't required to participate in more than a year or two worth of study (e.g. intermediate stats instead of being required to take SEM, etc.) and I could get by without having a solid foundation in what I now believe to be necessary training. Additionally, I had to be selective in which classes I took because there was some variance in professor/class and I wanted to make sure I got the most out of my classes. This happens in many programs, but I feel like it allows for too low a bar if students can take the "easy" classes all the way through.

In regard to clinical training I think it was pretty good. I had access to a range of settings: CMHC, counseling center, hospital, school, etc. Access to each setting depended on the site (some sites req. a student already have 1yr of practica before applying, other sites were typically taken by advanced practica students), and my first practica placement was not one of my preferred sites because we had limited options as a first year prac. student. The mentorship for my practica was pretty good, though I had some friends in my cohort who had spottier experiences. For any practica outside of the uni clinic we had a site supervisor and then a faculty supervisor, which I enjoyed…but could be trickier if the supervisors were not on the same page.

In regard to funding….I wish I attended a uni with better funding. High cost of living + hit & miss RA/TA funding made me take out more loans than I originally anticipated. I attended during a time of low interest rates, so I was able to consolidate at a very low rate. I also only took loans in three of my six years (5+1). For students now, I'd really be concerned with taking on any debt because the interest rates are higher, interest deferment was eliminated (Thanks Obama!), and tuition is up 30-50%+ at many/most programs compared to a decade ago. It took me 2 years to match (I only applied to higher-end APA-acred internship sites), though I landed at a solid APA-acred. internship and a top fellowship.

I'm now 4 yrs out from graduating and I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. Obviously I'd prefer having no debt, but what I have is manageable. I've been licensed in two states, both times it was a bit of a process as every state has their own way of doing things…though that would happen whether or not I was a Psy.D., Ph.D. , or Ed.D. I'm currently going through the boarding process and it has been a very decent experience.

I think there is a place for Psy.D. programs, but knowing what I know now I'd probably cut 75% of the Psy.D. programs bc they just aren't needed because more Ph.D. programs are taking a balanced approach to training.

Reactions: 1 user