Attendings & Residents: Take the pledge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flashgordon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time to man up and take the pledge:

1. NEVER teach a CRNA or SRNA anything. If they ask "why/how did you do x/y/z", politely say "i dunno, just cause".

2. Do NOT allow them to do any Regional blocks. Maybe a spinal, but that's very generous. No ultrasound blocks or epidurals.

3. Do NOT allow them to do any Invasive lines. Maybe an arterial line, but that's generous.

4. STEP UP and take call or stay late if needed. Don't sell out our profession by being a "lounge lizard".

5. DONATE to the ASAPAC every year. Not just the minimum. Laws and policies are influenced by the amount of political donations.

6. EDUCATE your fellow attendings/residents/medical students. The more people know, the better.

7. EDUCATE your patient about your role as their Anesthesiology DOCTOR. Follow up on your patients post-op so they remember you.

8. WEAR your white coat when out of the OR. Why do you think all the surgeons do?

We can protect this awesome specialty from these POS militant nurses.

I, flashgordon, will take the pledge. Who's with me?

p.s. Feel free to print this out and put it in your wallet for easy reference! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

The problem that you're going to have with #1 is that, for those of us working in a care team system, the smarter and better trained your CRNAs are, the safer care you provide for YOUR patients. Something that you teach your CRNAs now can save YOU, and your patients, from disaster later. They're working on your insurance, your license, your reputation, and you can't always be there, so you want the best you can get. 2-8, sure. Not explaining my decision making to my CRNAs? Sorry, but no.
I don't train SRNAs, so that part is not an issue.

The problem that you're going to have with #1 is that, for those of us working in a care team system, the smarter and better trained your CRNAs are, the safer care you provide for YOUR patients. Something that you teach your CRNAs now can save YOU, and your patients, from disaster later. They're working on your insurance, your license, your reputation, and you can't always be there, so you want the best you can get. 2-8, sure. Not explaining my decision making to my CRNAs? Sorry, but no.

I've reflected on the OP's statements. Even as a PGY1, and someone whom really does enjoy teaching, I don't think I'll be teaching nurses anymore. I'm going to let them NOT know what they don't know. They can stay in their small little world of knowing a lot about very little.

IlD, I do see your point, and it's pragmatic for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
you guys will probably change your minds somewhat when you are attending and its your ass on the line in the 4 rooms you are covering, etc. maybe you will feel compelled to impart a little knowledge on the CRNA or SRNA who who you are supervising. anesthesia is moving towards the care team model and this is by far preferable to solo nursing practices and it depends on having trustworthy competent nursing providers.

Sorry, I'm with you except for one. I teach our SRNAs and CRNAs how to work effectively WITH me and how to be safer in the OR. If they are stupid, it makes my day more difficult and places more patients at risk. If I help teach them, the patients are safer and my day is less stressful.

Let's put it this way. I'm not teaching them how to practice medicine. I'm teaching them how to be safe with what they are doing and when they need to call me for help.

1. NEVER teach a CRNA or SRNA anything. If they ask "why/how did you do x/y/z", politely say "i dunno, just cause".

2. Do NOT allow them to do any Regional blocks. Maybe a spinal, but that's very generous. No ultrasound blocks or epidurals.

3. Do NOT allow them to do any Invasive lines. Maybe an arterial line, but that's generous.

4. STEP UP and take call or stay late if needed. Don't sell out our profession by being a "lounge lizard".

5. DONATE to the ASAPAC every year. Not just the minimum. Laws and policies are influenced by the amount of political donations.

6. EDUCATE your fellow attendings/residents/medical students. The more people know, the better.

7. EDUCATE your patient about your role as their Anesthesiology DOCTOR. Follow up on your patients post-op so they remember you.

8. WEAR your white coat when out of the OR. Why do you think all the surgeons do?

p.s. Feel free to print this out and put it in your wallet for easy reference! :cool:

I found a job where I will be doing my own cases so your points are well taken but won't be an issue for me.

"the smarter and better trained your CRNAs are"... the more they think they don't need you.

I understand your reasoning, however, this is a double-edged sword. Why do you think we are where we are today? The more you teach them, the more they slowly think they can do cases without you. I'm sure there's a way to explain your reasoning w/o actually teaching them?

And besides, why do you even have to teach them anything? Don't they learn everything they need to know to pratice independently in CRNA school? :rolleyes:

I've seen attendings teach CRNAs/SRNAs in detail and give them articles to read, just like a resident. Where did a few of these CRNAs eventually end up? Practicing independently across town. Good job guys!! :slap:

"the smarter and better trained your CRNAs are"... the more they think they don't need you.

I understand your reasoning, however, this is a double-edged sword. Why do you think we are where we are today? The more you teach them, the more they slowly think they can do cases without you. I'm sure there's a way to explain your reasoning w/o actually teaching them?

And besides, why do you even have to teach them anything? Don't they learn everything they need to know to pratice independently in CRNA school? :rolleyes:

I've seen attendings teach CRNAs/SRNAs in detail and give them articles to read, just like a resident. Where did a few of these CRNAs eventually end up? Practicing independently across town. Good job guys!! :slap:

Well, I provide the best care possible to my patients while protecting my own ass. My patient population is different from most, complex peds, so if I didn't teach them what to do and why, so that they can stay out of trouble in the future, they would be making bad decisions. Decisions that would have significant consequences, consequences that would cost ME my reputation, job, assets, and future employability. If you can figure our how to train them to make good decisions without "teaching" them anything, let me know.:rolleyes: As was mentioned earlier, when your ass is on the line, you're only hurting yourself and your patients by keeping your CRNAs in the dark. It's easy to downplay that risk when you're still a resident. The buck doesn't stop at you yet. If they want to leave and try to open a complex peds practice across town, good luck, they'll need it. If they want to move to rural america and provide better care for peds patients, that's fine with me. I can't control what my employees do. But I can, and will, continue to make them the best physician extenders that they can be, it's in the best interest of all involved. If you feel so strongly about keeping CRNAs in the dark, find a group that is only direct provider care. Just be aware that these groups may have a limited future looking out 10 years.

Agree with the overall position. Someone will teach them procedures, even if you don't. I've seen it as a resident at an outside hospital, the lazy attendings would sit around and talk about cars while the crnas drop swans, place thorasic epidurals, regional blocks, etc. Discusting laziness. But what we can do is #4. Best way to differentiate ourselves from crnas is to get involved in the entire perioperative experience, work harder, stay later, become consultants not monkeys

Agree with the overall position. Someone will teach them procedures, even if you don't. I've seen it as a resident at an outside hospital, the lazy attendings would sit around and talk about cars while the crnas drop swans, place thorasic epidurals, regional blocks, etc. Discusting laziness. But what we can do is #4. Best way to differentiate ourselves from crnas is to get involved in the entire perioperative experience, work harder, stay later, become consultants not monkeys

Agreed. It'll take a little time to weed out the clowns of the field, such clowns not being the average attending posting on this forum.

It's easy to arm-chair quarterback, but we really don't have an option. At our institution, the CRNA's don't do blocks or lines. Not sure what the SRNA's (yep, our department trains em) are doing.....

I hope to be involved in the interview process (at least informally), and my recommendations will be for those candidates whom at least show (tough to tell in 1 day) that they have the capacity to be leaders. No passive sheeps. We can't afford it. I firmly believe that we ARE a service specialty which does indeed require flexibility and choosing battles intelligently. But, this is not exclusive to being a STRONG candidate whom has the ABILITY to earn respect, and that far exceeds what any board scores might reflect.

cf

Last edited:
Well, I provide the best care possible to my patients while protecting my own ass. My patient population is different from most, complex peds, so if I didn't teach them what to do and why, so that they can stay out of trouble in the future, they would be making bad decisions. Decisions that would have significant consequences, consequences that would cost ME my reputation, job, assets, and future employability. If you can figure our how to train them to make good decisions without "teaching" them anything, let me know.:rolleyes: As was mentioned earlier, when your ass is on the line, you're only hurting yourself and your patients by keeping your CRNAs in the dark. It's easy to downplay that risk when you're still a resident. The buck doesn't stop at you yet. If they want to leave and try to open a complex peds practice across town, good luck, they'll need it. If they want to move to rural america and provide better care for peds patients, that's fine with me. I can't control what my employees do. But I can, and will, continue to make them the best physician extenders that they can be, it's in the best interest of all involved. If you feel so strongly about keeping CRNAs in the dark, find a group that is only direct provider care. Just be aware that these groups may have a limited future looking out 10 years.

:thumbup: It's easy to pick out those in practice in the real world and those who are unrealistically idealistic with zero knowledge of the real world.

However - there is a difference between teaching and dealing with your own staff, and teaching SRNA's as part of their educational program. We have a few SRNA's come through our practice. They are in the OR, either doing general cases, or managing regional cases that have had their blocks placed by the MD's. No blocks, no lines, 100% ACT practice. They are ALWAYS with an anesthetist - they NEVER do a room by themselves, EVER.

Members don't see this ad :)
My job is nearly perfect - i love it. I like the location; the surgeons and nursing staff are great to work with. The ONLY reason i'm thinking of leaving? CRNAs. Our anesthetists are "non-medically directed" so they are pretty much independent and we are token "supervisors." It is very difficult to work with people who truly believe they are my equals when it comes to patient care; they make their own decisions and any input on my part is met with resistance & resentment. I have no problem taking this oath. As for #1, do the floor/ICU docs explain the reasoning behind their decision-making to the RNs? While i agree that an uneducated CRNA is even more dangerous than an educated one, if a CRNA really runs into trouble they should be calling a doc rather than trying to manage on their own. That's really what they need to be educated on - how to recognize when they're in too deep.

My job is nearly perfect - i love it. I like the location; the surgeons and nursing staff are great to work with. The ONLY reason i'm thinking of leaving? CRNAs. Our anesthetists are "non-medically directed" so they are pretty much independent and we are token "supervisors." It is very difficult to work with people who truly believe they are my equals when it comes to patient care; they make their own decisions and any input on my part is met with resistance & resentment. I have no problem taking this oath. As for #1, do the floor/ICU docs explain the reasoning behind their decision-making to the RNs? While i agree that an uneducated CRNA is even more dangerous than an educated one, if a CRNA really runs into trouble they should be calling a doc rather than trying to manage on their own. That's really what they need to be educated on - how to recognize when they're in too deep.

If your not medically directing your CRNAs, what are you doing? If you're only there as a pre op line/block tech and a firefighter, I would not work there. It's not worth the risk.

If your not medically directing your CRNAs, what are you doing? If you're only there as a pre op line/block tech and a firefighter, I would not work there. It's not worth the risk.

i believe he means, in the eyes of medicare, that he's "supervising" and not "medically directing." i think you can only medically direct a max of 4 concurrent procedures. more that that equals supervising. not sure how that impacts you medicolegally. are you held to the same standard, ie must be immediately available? i've heard of these setups in ophtho centers that bang out cataracts all day but don't know much about it.

No, i meant exactly what i wrote. We neither supervise nor direct our CRNAs. They are often doing their own pre-ops and cases from start to finish with no physician presence during induction nor emergence. They also do their own lines/blocks/whatever on their own prerogative. Docs meanwhile are often doing cases concurrently. Since i am not a partner, i have no say in this arrangement; and i don't know how the billing is done. Most of you guys probably have no idea what it's like working with people who expect to be treated as my professional equal.

No, i meant exactly what i wrote. We neither supervise nor direct our CRNAs. They are often doing their own pre-ops and cases from start to finish with no physician presence during induction nor emergence. They also do their own lines/blocks/whatever on their own prerogative. Docs meanwhile are often doing cases concurrently. Since i am not a partner, i have no say in this arrangement; and i don't know how the billing is done. Most of you guys probably have no idea what it's like working with people who expect to be treated as my professional equal.

please forgive my ignorance. are you in an opt-out state? is there an anesthesiologist of record?

please forgive my ignorance. are you in an opt-out state? is there an anesthesiologist of record?

Nope, not an opt-out state. There is an anesthesiologist of record - the "coordinator," who is often stretched far too thin to "supervise" in any meaningful way

Nope, not an opt-out state. There is an anesthesiologist of record - the "coordinator," who is often stretched far too thin to "supervise" in any meaningful way

That is unfortunate and without knowing the details is borderline fraud. It also gives the rest of us folks actually supervising a bad name. I see all my patients in preop, am there for induction, periodically in the middle of the case, emergence, and again in the PACU.

That is unfortunate and without knowing the details is borderline fraud. It also gives the rest of us folks actually supervising a bad name. I see all my patients in preop, am there for induction, periodically in the middle of the case, emergence, and again in the PACU.

Ditto. I do the same as Mman. I'm not sure why you want to be a part of that group. If the coordinator is billing for supervision, but not meeting the definition of supervision ... ...
You don't want to be a part of that when someone comes a lookin'. Leverage your experience for a better job.

Screw it. Kick out all of the CRNA's and replace them with AA's. Then you don't have to worry about teaching CRNA's this or that.

Wow. Unfckingbelievable. Smells like fraud to me. :confused:

I don't think any of us has witnessed independent CRNA practice, let alone alongside MDs in the same group. Please tell us more...

1. How big is your group and who are the partners?
2. Major city or rural?
3. Patient demographics?
4. Who does the daily scheduling/room assignments?
5. What is the relationship with the surgeons like? How 'bout the hospital?
6. Age and experience of CRNAs?
7. Are CRNAs doing only ASA 1/2 patients while MDs do the sicker ones?
8. How often are you curbside consulted or had to bail them out? Any deaths?
9. Are the CRNAs taking call as well?
10. Are they billing independently? If so, why not just get rid of them & hire more MDs?
11. How do they introduce themselves to the patients? Do patients ever ask "where is my anesthesia doctor?"
12. How do the MDs co-exist with POS scum who think they are equal to you, demand to be paid the same, and have <10% of your knowledge and skills?

I don't think any of us has witnessed independent CRNA practice, let alone alongside MDs in the same group. Please tell us more...

1. How big is your group and who are the partners? Small
2. Major city or rural? Suburbs of major city. Small hospital.
3. Patient demographics? Low-middle class
4. Who does the daily scheduling/room assignments? Docs
5. What is the relationship with the surgeons like? How 'bout the hospital? Good.
6. Age and experience of CRNAs? Various
7. Are CRNAs doing only ASA 1/2 patients while MDs do the sicker ones? Not always.
8. How often are you curbside consulted or had to bail them out? Any deaths? Occasionally. No deaths, but couple of close calls.
9. Are the CRNAs taking call as well? Yes.
10. Are they billing independently? If so, why not just get rid of them & hire more MDs? Don't know this aspect of things.
11. How do they introduce themselves to the patients? Do patients ever ask "where is my anesthesia doctor?" Don't know. No.
12. How do the MDs co-exist with POS scum who think they are equal to you, demand to be paid the same, and have <10% of your knowledge and skills? I'm really the only one who is not CRNA-friendly, and that just boggles my mind.

BTW, i'd like to add to your original list:

#9. Don't sleep with 'em, no matter how hot they are.

Just remember everyone
there is a difference between medical direction and supervision..
- medical direction is present for critical moments, immiediately available. Pt pre-oped etc. Medical direction of CRNAs is done by anesthesiologists
- supervision is when another physician (not necessarily an anesthesiologist) is noted as the supervisor of record for the CRNA. Chart signing is not always necessary. These arrangements happen a lot in endo centers.

Opting out is when there is no supervisor. Independent practice. Supervision is really pretty much independent practice.

drccw

1. How big is your group and who are the partners?
2. Major city or rural?
3. Patient demographics?
4. Who does the daily scheduling/room assignments?
5. What is the relationship with the surgeons like? How 'bout the hospital?
6. Age and experience of CRNAs?
7. Are CRNAs doing only ASA 1/2 patients while MDs do the sicker ones?
8. How often are you curbside consulted or had to bail them out? Any deaths?
9. Are the CRNAs taking call as well?
10. Are they billing independently? If so, why not just get rid of them & hire more MDs?
11. How do they introduce themselves to the patients? Do patients ever ask "where is my anesthesia doctor?"
12. How do the MDs co-exist with POS scum who think they are equal to you, demand to be paid the same, and have <10% of your knowledge and skills?

Not sure were Leaverus is, but this is the exact setup at Providence Hospital in Everett Washington. I interviewed there out of morbid curiosity and this is what I remember.

disclaimer- this is from memory and from what I was told. Small details may be different than what I remember/ was told.

It is not fraudulent as CRNA billing is for solo independent (opt out) CRNA care without any MD involvement. There is a board coordinator that can be consulted. I am not sure of the legalities or billing implications of the consult. The board coordinator is not one of the worker bee anesthesiologists.

1) This is a big group run by Somnia inc out of New York.

2&3) Providence is the only hospital in this coastal city of 98,000 people located 20 miles north of Seattle. It is the third-largest hospital in Washington, with two campuses serving 25,000 overnight patients a year, and operates the second-busiest emergency room in the state. It's building a $500 million, 368-bed tower, due to open next year, that will double its capacity.

4) Daily assignments are by the board runner (one of the two "managing partners")

5) Relationships were initially a bit rocky, but it seemed like things were smoothing out when I visited. The heart rooms (where I did most of my looking around) were strictly the arena of the anesthesiologist. I believe the neurosurgical ORs are too. Admin was happy to eliminate the old physician only group and go with a company that they believed would be more responsive to admin concerns. I do not know if the warm fuzzy feeling has persisted.

6) Age and experience varied. They took some of our best CRNAs. They also took the CRNA from Seattle that was the most vocal to me about the lack of need of MD supervision. I believe that he is heading up the CRNA group there now.

7) CRNAs I believe work heavily at the Pacific Campus. Lots of OB/GYN and peds. I believe that there is a fair amount of Gyn/Onc there so they are doing ASA 3/4 cases. It is primarily anesthesiologists at the main campus, but not exclusively.

8) Can't speak to that. I know from a friend that worked there briefly that there really is no at work interaction between the worker bee anesthesiologists and the CRNA's. No time.

9) My understanding is that the CRNA's do not take call (they probably take OB call since they cover all OB during the day, but I could be mistaken)

10) They are employees of the company who bills for them and pays them a salary. They do the same for the anesthesiologists that they employ. Not a terrible salary for the region, but not tops either. Until they get a full complement of anesthesiologists, the pay isn't worth it because of the call burden. (no extra money for taking call or doing cases on call)

11) Don't know. I am sure it varies from CRNA to CRNA.

12) CRNAs aren't POS scum.

As I said, this is just what I remember from interviewing and from a friend who worked there briefly so don't roast me to hard if I have something mixed up. This does give a general idea of the setting where you see this kind of situation.

For more on Prov Everett (a pretty highly regarded hospital system) see

Businessweek

- pod

Just adding some information.

Many people do not understand what opt out is or what "medical direction" vs "supervision" is or how a CRNA can or cannot work "independently" in a non opt out state vs an opt out.

Seems it would not hurt to add some clarification to these confusing concepts. This explanation will not discuss separate hospital policies etc.

The terms "Medical Direction" and "supervision" are related only to CMS and medicare billing. They are not an indication of practice or a direction of practice of the CRNA by an MD. They are only relevant in CMS cases and were created by CMS (along with the 7 TEFRA rules) to enforce some degree of requirement on MDs who supervise/medically direct CRNAs and bill for their cases (up to 50% per case up to 4 rooms or ~6 units if supervising). This came along because of massive medicare fraud committed in the early 80s.

"Medical direction" is the only term that matters when the relationship is between CRNAs and Anesthesiologists. There cannot be 'medical direction' when a CRNA is not working with Anesthesiologists. This is a billing term which CMS uses for this relationship, it is not considered a dictation of scope of practice or control and CMS makes this very clear in the guidelines. In anycase an Anesthesiologist can bill 50 % of each case for up to 4 cases with a CRNA only if they meet the 7 TEFRA rules.

"Supervision" is also a billing term related to CMS only. Supervision exists when a CRNA is in a non- opt out state and is billing 100% of the CMS schedule. This is a COP (condition of participation) for the hospital to bill medicare part A for the anesthesia services. Regardless if the CRNA is working in an opt out or non opt out state they can always bill 100% of the CMS schedule as that is billed through medicare part B. Totally separate. The requirements for the hospital to meet the COP for medicare part A in non- opt out states is simply the need of the surgeon for anesthesia. That is it. There is no other requirement and the CMS guidelines are very vague to allow this to be so based on the needs of the hospital. There is no added liability for either the hospital or the surgeon who works with either an opt-out CRNA or non- opt out CRNA anymore than if they were working with an anesthesiologist. This has been discussed by the ASA legal counsel on multiple occasions and there is an article on the association website about it.

As the federal laws stand a CRNA can work independently in every state in the union and there is no requirement for anesthesiologist relationships.

What op-out does is relieve the hospitals from the need to meet the COPs for to bill medicare part A. This does not change anything from a practice perspective but does remove the word "supervision" from the language. While there has proven to be no increased liability with CRNAs working independently the fact is there remains perception that the word "supervision" implies liability. Sometimes perception is more important than reality and hence the reason why you see the ASA and AANA fighting over opt out which, essentially, has nothing to do with independent practice.... except for perception... Odd thing.

Now, as for the fraud issue. 2 points.

1) Any private insurance that is NOT CMS does not require any supervision or medical direction. However, they do generally pay CRNAs less per unit than they might pay Anesthesiologists. If it is a cash practice (like plastics) then the CRNA sets their own rates.

2) When a group of CRNAs and Anesthesiologists work for the same entity (be it a hospital or the same group) and the money all goes in the same pot, there is no requirement to meet ANY of the medical direction TEFRA rules for the Anesthesiologist. This is because the billing for the CRNAs is done as "QZ" (independent CRNA) and the MDs only bill for whatever they are doing (maybe blocks or consults or their own cases) so they do not have to meet any of the TEFRA rules since they are not billing 50% of each of the CRNAs cases. Remember, this is 100% about MDs meeting the rules in order to bill 50% of each CRNA room up to 4 rooms. This is the case regardless of opt out status.

So really the only time an Anesthesiologist must meet the "medical direction" 7 Tefra rules is when the CRNA and the Anesthesiologist are separately employed (say the CRNAs are hospital employees). This is true because the Anesthesiologist is now billing 50% of each of the 4 CMS cases they 'medically direct'. However, if the CRNAs were doing non-CMS cases none of this applies.

So reading Dr. leaverus posts it appears to me that the group is billing QZ for all the CRNAs (which is independent CRNA practice) and billing AA for the Anesthesiologist who is doing cases (which means anesthesia performed by the MD). This is absolutely legal and the Anesthesiologist carries no liability for the CRNAs working in the same department nor does the hospital or the surgeon.

This is quickly becoming a popular model across the USA as it allows al providers to generate RVUs and takes advantage of each ones expertise and skill set in a cooperative manner. Both providers in these settings make more money and enjoy a much happier work place than any other practice (including Solo Anesthesiologist or Solo CRNA).

As a side note, none of this can be done with AAs (or PAs if they were to work in anesthesia) as they are legally bound only to work in a 'medically directed' style model. Unfortunately this is not economically sustainable in the future and will likely mean less usage of AAs vs CRNAs who have considerably more flexibility in practice and therefore become more fiscally advantageous for both the anesthesia group or hospital that employes them.

I foresee the model Dr leaverus is working in becoming the predominant model over both ACT and all MD or all CRNA within this decade.

wow? I hope you are not obligated to have any input into these cases when things go to ****.... I wouldnt even come into the room in those situations. and one must inform the patients that they wont have a physician anesthesiologist involved in their care.

Thanks for that info, alagory. It certainly answered my questions about how billing is probably done for my group.

If the CRNAs within a group such as mine do in fact bill at 100%, the only advantage this model would have over an MD-only group is that the former would be comprised of fewer docs and hence more money going to the partners.

I can tell you that i certainly hope such a model isn't becoming popular, because the inflated egos of the CRNAs in my group is unbearable. It's amazing how they (almost all of them) treat other nurses as if they're inferior. I've said it in another post and i'll say it again; the money isn't that important to me - i'd gladly work in a doc-only group for less money. So i don't "enjoy a much happier work place than any other practice."

Last edited:
No problem.

The cost savings is also to some degree in security of the group to maintain the contract. One of the largest costs hospitals are seeing related to anesthesia are stipends. Most ACT and Anesthesiologist only groups require the hospital to pay out anywhere to 1-5 million a year in stipends to offset the costs of salaries of providers who are not billing.

As for the CRNAs billing, it is likely they bill 100% only for the CMS cases. Depending on your payor mix this can be anywhere from a low of 20% to an average of 40% of cases.

For an all MD grp to survive they have to follow 'eat what you kill' billing. This simply means there are no stipends or other compensation from the hospital for anything including call. One ortho group at our hospital recently supplanted the long standing old one entirely when they offered this style of service. The old ortho grp required millions a year from the hospital just to pay for call service. The days of hospitals paying to supplement income are going away rapidly.

If nothing else the most important factor for an all MD group is payor mix. If there is significant private insurance (each one pays differently per unit) then an all MD group can be supported. Otherwise, it is nearly impossible.

Thanks for that info, alagory. It certainly answered my questions about how billing is probably done for my group.

If the CRNAs within a group such as mine do in fact bill at 100%, the only advantage this model would have over an MD-only group is that the former would be comprised of fewer docs and hence more money going to the partners.

I can tell you that i certainly hope such a model isn't becoming popular, because the inflated egos of the CRNAs in my group is unbearable. It's amazing how they (almost all of them) treat other nurses as if they're inferior. I've said it in another post and i'll say it again; the money isn't that important to me - i'd gladly work in a doc-only group for less money. So i don't "enjoy a much happier work place than any other practice."

The reason why the groups ask for these stipends for call, trauma call, etc is because they provide a service (covering call) which may not generate any income. Or provide a service to a low volume area, perhaps OB, where billing alone doesn't cover the cost of a 24/7 provider. It seems reasonable to me.
I find it hard to believe that an all CRNA group would not ask for the same/similar stipends if they were providing all these services in the place of the MDs. If they don't they're selling themselves short.
The AMCs may not ask for these, or ask less, because they make the money back in other ways, paying providers less for the same service, changing to a cheaper (for them) care team model, etc. It's a great way in the door, but when the honeymoon is over, they'll probably ask for more $$ as well.

Great point IlD.

However, it may be the wave of the future based on reimbursement cuts which are inevitable. Who knows how it will fall?

I know of a few 2-4 man CRNA groups who do not get stipends but cover OB services 24/7 along with the OR. However, in smaller places OB call isnt as bad as large facilities. Also, they tend to do alot of CSE's to decrease the call back rate.

The group I currently work for do not receive stipends (we dont have OB at any of our hospitals though) for 24/7 365 call. It is all eat what you kill...

The reason why the groups ask for these stipends for call, trauma call, etc is because they provide a service (covering call) which may not generate any income. Or provide a service to a low volume area, perhaps OB, where billing alone doesn't cover the cost of a 24/7 provider. It seems reasonable to me.
I find it hard to believe that an all CRNA group would not ask for the same/similar stipends if they were providing all these services in the place of the MDs. If they don't they're selling themselves short.
The AMCs may not ask for these, or ask less, because they make the money back in other ways, paying providers less for the same service, changing to a cheaper (for them) care team model, etc. It's a great way in the door, but when the honeymoon is over, they'll probably ask for more $$ as well.

Here is a Quote from the "other" anesthesia forum:

"The fact is, this fits the legal description and would certainly be actionable. Regardless where those individuals are any place which does not allow SRNAs to do PNBs and other regional would be ACTIONABLE. I bet none of those hospitals would be willing to defend a lawsuit because their MDAs have a political axe to grind to protect their pocketbooks. It would be over before it was even started."

CRNA

I moonlight at a major teaching hospital...

I will definitely NEVER teach a SRNA. When they ask me about smething, I tell them, 'look it up'. I dont ask them. I tell them that such and such is my plan.

Same with CRNAs. I prefer NOT to work with them, but sometimes I'm covering two rooms. I now ask the CRNA to call me before extubation. I tell them how much narcotics to give, etc and not to give them over a certain amount. I once had a CRNA suggest to me to gve a patietn 250mcg of fentanyl for induction a pt with Aortic Stenosis who was going for a hip repair with a SBP of 85. I told HIM, aka the 'seasoned' CRNA to rethink that.

On the other hand I try to relay as much knowledge as Ican to the CA1-3. etc.

I disgree with those that think you have to 'teach' CRNAs,etc.

Leavrus- why are you still working there? Aren't you taking liability by stepping in or offering your advice/opinion to these nurses? 'Cause you know damn well they're excellent at recording things, so don't be surprised if your name shows up on their record. It's a good thing for the patients that you guys are there as a safety net.

I don't ever see MDs working alongside independent CRNAs as catching on. Even though there is not enough of us to go around, why even hire a CRNA when they bill medicare the same as an MD? If they don't want to work as a team, the let's expand the rights of AAs and go 1:4.

I'll prob get a TOS violation for saying this, but I stand by my wording: militant independent CRNA = POS scum. I have ZERO tolerance for fcking idiots who lack insight and believe themselves to be someone they're not. Every patient is someone's mother/child/sister and deserves a physician anesthesiologist involved during this critical moment in their life. Anyone who undermines this for the sake of money (independent CRNA) should be shot.

We (ASA & AANA) could have worked as a team to deliver the best care possible, but greed got the best of these nurses. I do have high hopes for the current generation of residents & med students, who are starting to become less tolerant of the AANA.

It's not too late to save this amazing specialty.

Many people do not understand what opt out is or what "medical direction" vs "supervision" is or how a CRNA can or cannot work "independently" in a non opt out state vs an opt out.

Seems it would not hurt to add some clarification to these confusing concepts. This explanation will not discuss separate hospital policies etc.

The terms "Medical Direction" and "supervision" are related only to CMS and medicare billing. They are not an indication of practice or a direction of practice of the CRNA by an MD. They are only relevant in CMS cases and were created by CMS (along with the 7 TEFRA rules) to enforce some degree of requirement on MDs who supervise/medically direct CRNAs and bill for their cases (up to 50% per case up to 4 rooms or ~6 units if supervising). This came along because of massive medicare fraud committed in the early 80s.

"Medical direction" is the only term that matters when the relationship is between CRNAs and Anesthesiologists. There cannot be 'medical direction' when a CRNA is not working with Anesthesiologists. This is a billing term which CMS uses for this relationship, it is not considered a dictation of scope of practice or control and CMS makes this very clear in the guidelines. In anycase an Anesthesiologist can bill 50 % of each case for up to 4 cases with a CRNA only if they meet the 7 TEFRA rules.

"Supervision" is also a billing term related to CMS only. Supervision exists when a CRNA is in a non- opt out state and is billing 100% of the CMS schedule. This is a COP (condition of participation) for the hospital to bill medicare part A for the anesthesia services. Regardless if the CRNA is working in an opt out or non opt out state they can always bill 100% of the CMS schedule as that is billed through medicare part B. Totally separate. The requirements for the hospital to meet the COP for medicare part A in non- opt out states is simply the need of the surgeon for anesthesia. That is it. There is no other requirement and the CMS guidelines are very vague to allow this to be so based on the needs of the hospital. There is no added liability for either the hospital or the surgeon who works with either an opt-out CRNA or non- opt out CRNA anymore than if they were working with an anesthesiologist. This has been discussed by the ASA legal counsel on multiple occasions and there is an article on the association website about it.

As the federal laws stand a CRNA can work independently in every state in the union and there is no requirement for anesthesiologist relationships.

What op-out does is relieve the hospitals from the need to meet the COPs for to bill medicare part A. This does not change anything from a practice perspective but does remove the word "supervision" from the language. While there has proven to be no increased liability with CRNAs working independently the fact is there remains perception that the word "supervision" implies liability. Sometimes perception is more important than reality and hence the reason why you see the ASA and AANA fighting over opt out which, essentially, has nothing to do with independent practice.... except for perception... Odd thing.

Now, as for the fraud issue. 2 points.

1) Any private insurance that is NOT CMS does not require any supervision or medical direction. However, they do generally pay CRNAs less per unit than they might pay Anesthesiologists. If it is a cash practice (like plastics) then the CRNA sets their own rates.

2) When a group of CRNAs and Anesthesiologists work for the same entity (be it a hospital or the same group) and the money all goes in the same pot, there is no requirement to meet ANY of the medical direction TEFRA rules for the Anesthesiologist. This is because the billing for the CRNAs is done as "QZ" (independent CRNA) and the MDs only bill for whatever they are doing (maybe blocks or consults or their own cases) so they do not have to meet any of the TEFRA rules since they are not billing 50% of each of the CRNAs cases. Remember, this is 100% about MDs meeting the rules in order to bill 50% of each CRNA room up to 4 rooms. This is the case regardless of opt out status.

So really the only time an Anesthesiologist must meet the "medical direction" 7 Tefra rules is when the CRNA and the Anesthesiologist are separately employed (say the CRNAs are hospital employees). This is true because the Anesthesiologist is now billing 50% of each of the 4 CMS cases they 'medically direct'. However, if the CRNAs were doing non-CMS cases none of this applies.

So reading Dr. leaverus posts it appears to me that the group is billing QZ for all the CRNAs (which is independent CRNA practice) and billing AA for the Anesthesiologist who is doing cases (which means anesthesia performed by the MD). This is absolutely legal and the Anesthesiologist carries no liability for the CRNAs working in the same department nor does the hospital or the surgeon.

This is quickly becoming a popular model across the USA as it allows al providers to generate RVUs and takes advantage of each ones expertise and skill set in a cooperative manner. Both providers in these settings make more money and enjoy a much happier work place than any other practice (including Solo Anesthesiologist or Solo CRNA).

As a side note, none of this can be done with AAs (or PAs if they were to work in anesthesia) as they are legally bound only to work in a 'medically directed' style model. Unfortunately this is not economically sustainable in the future and will likely mean less usage of AAs vs CRNAs who have considerably more flexibility in practice and therefore become more fiscally advantageous for both the anesthesia group or hospital that employes them.

I foresee the model Dr leaverus is working in becoming the predominant model over both ACT and all MD or all CRNA within this decade.

I agree with most of your post but I have a few "clarifiers."

1. If the Anesthesiologist sees the patient and leaves the impression that he/she is invloved in the care of that patient then there IS Mediocolegal responsibility. The Surgeon, Nurses, CRNAS, etc. expect back-up and Anesthesiologist involvement in many of these types of practices.

2. When the Poop hits the fan I can guarantee you that surgeon and CRNA will expect the Anesthesiologist "supervisor" to be involved in the code or plan of action.

3. BY having less qualified providers doing more and more with less input means more PACU and intraoperative problems. There is no free lunch as CRNA does not equal Board Certified Anesthesiologist.

4. Supervision is pretty much non existent when MD to CRNA ratios surpass 1:6. Some may argue that ratio is more like 1:5 or even 1:4.

5. Any model which allows CRNAS to run around pretending to be a Doctor of Anesthesia without real, tangible Anesthesiologist back-up is a poor one.

Hello.

I think that everything you said here is entirely debatable and not related to actual practice but your personal feelings. Which is fine. It is simply important to delineate fact from opinion.

I agree with most of your post but I have a few "clarifiers."

1. If the Anesthesiologist sees the patient and leaves the impression that he/she is invloved in the care of that patient then there IS Mediocolegal responsibility. The Surgeon, Nurses, CRNAS, etc. expect back-up and Anesthesiologist involvement in many of these types of practices.

2. When the Poop hits the fan I can guarantee you that surgeon and CRNA will expect the Anesthesiologist "supervisor" to be involved in the code or plan of action.

3. BY having less qualified providers doing more and more with less input means more PACU and intraoperative problems. There is no free lunch as CRNA does not equal Board Certified Anesthesiologist.

4. Supervision is pretty much non existent when MD to CRNA ratios surpass 1:6. Some may argue that ratio is more like 1:5 or even 1:4.

5. Any model which allows CRNAS to run around pretending to be a Doctor of Anesthesia without real, tangible Anesthesiologist back-up is a poor one.

Leavrus- why are you still working there? Aren't you taking liability by stepping in or offering your advice/opinion to these nurses? 'Cause you know damn well they're excellent at recording things, so don't be surprised if your name shows up on their record. It's a good thing for the patients that you guys are there as a safety net.

I don't ever see MDs working alongside independent CRNAs as catching on. Even though there is not enough of us to go around, why even hire a CRNA when they bill medicare the same as an MD? If they don't want to work as a team, the let's expand the rights of AAs and go 1:4.

I'll prob get a TOS violation for saying this, but I stand by my wording: militant independent CRNA = POS scum. I have ZERO tolerance for fcking idiots who lack insight and believe themselves to be someone they're not. Every patient is someone's mother/child/sister and deserves a physician anesthesiologist involved during this critical moment in their life. Anyone who undermines this for the sake of money (independent CRNA) should be shot.

We (ASA & AANA) could have worked as a team to deliver the best care possible, but greed got the best of these nurses. I do have high hopes for the current generation of residents & med students, who are starting to become less tolerant of the AANA.

It's not too late to save this amazing specialty.

the answer is staring us right in the face..... PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS IN ANESTHESIA... EXPAND ANESTHESIOLOGIST ASSISTANTS TO GET LICENSED AND RECOGNIZED IN EVERY STATE IN THE US

Hello.

I think that everything you said here is entirely debatable and not related to actual practice but your personal feelings. Which is fine. It is simply important to delineate fact from opinion.

I strongly disagree. Since when did logic and critical thinking cease on SDN?

the answer is staring us right in the face..... PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS IN ANESTHESIA... EXPAND ANESTHESIOLOGIST ASSISTANTS TO GET LICENSED AND RECOGNIZED IN EVERY STATE IN THE US

How?

I do not see how this would help in any possible way. Lowering the bar will not help anyones cause. Moreover, the reality is they would still be shackled to the 1:4 ratio AAs will always be stuck to and that won't work in the future of this healthcare economy. Just not possible.

I moonlight at a major teaching hospital...

I will definitely NEVER teach a SRNA. When they ask me about smething, I tell them, 'look it up'. I dont ask them. I tell them that such and such is my plan.

Same with CRNAs. I prefer NOT to work with them, but sometimes I'm covering two rooms. I now ask the CRNA to call me before extubation. I tell them how much narcotics to give, etc and not to give them over a certain amount. I once had a CRNA suggest to me to gve a patietn 250mcg of fentanyl for induction a pt with Aortic Stenosis who was going for a hip repair with a SBP of 85. I told HIM, aka the 'seasoned' CRNA to rethink that.

On the other hand I try to relay as much knowledge as Ican to the CA1-3. etc.

I disgree with those that think you have to 'teach' CRNAs,etc.

:bow: Exactly. You don't have to sit there and teach them x/y/z like some of the damn attendings I see. Especially when they kiss up to you :love: and make you feel oh sooo smart :barf: that you let them do whatever they want.

"The fact is, this fits the legal description and would certainly be actionable. Regardless where those individuals are any place which does not allow SRNAs to do PNBs and other regional would be ACTIONABLE. I bet none of those hospitals would be willing to defend a lawsuit because their MDAs have a political axe to grind to protect their pocketbooks. It would be over before it was even started."

CRNA

ROFL, better sue the Mayo Clinic, murse. They don't allow regional. They don't allow neuraxial. They don't allow invasive lines.

For SRNAs. Or CRNAs.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I do not see how this would help in any possible way. Lowering the bar will not help anyones cause. Moreover, the reality is they would still be shackled to the 1:4 ratio AAs will always be stuck to and that won't work in the future of this healthcare economy. Just not possible.

Lowering the bar? Talk about problems delineating fact and opinion...

No offense, but that sounds like a quote right out of the AANA playbook.

Son, you do not seem to know much about your own profession.

This was written on an Anesthesiologist blog I have read for years, not by the AANA. You can read it here

For your convenience here is the quote:

We don't need AA's. Lowering the bar to undermine CRNA's as a political ploy is a bad idea. Doing so in order to stretch resources (increase efficiency/make more money) is a bad idea too; it undermines the ASA arguments regarding levels of skill required; nobody is fooled by the CRNA's claim of intellectual equivalence, and nobody is fooled by the claim of supervision making up for lesser skill of AA's either... It's the money. That's all that drives the system then; not quality.

Adding another layer of provider which is even less qualified (PAs) certainly will not be a better solution.

Lowering the bar? Talk about problems delineating fact and opinion...

No offense, but that sounds like a quote right out of the AANA playbook.

This was written on an Anesthesiologist blog I have read for years, not by the AANA. You can read it here

Adding another layer of provider which is even less qualified (PAs) certainly will not be a better solution.

Haha, you quote me one blog post by one anesthesiologist as an example of how I don't understand my own profession? The ASA is highly supportive of advancing the training, licensure, and utilization of AAs. I know because it was mentioned multiple times at the ASA House of Delegates meeting on Sunday...of which I was in attendance. So please save the patronizing attitude. Also, claims (of course led by the AANA) of the inferiority of AAs are highly debatable and pretty much ignored by my professional society.

It isn't an issue of federal law. The majority of states have laws (and supreme court decisions) ruling that CRNAs must be supervised by a physician. Most don't specify that it is an anesthesiologist, but very few surgeons are looking to add to their malpractice insurance (and even fewer malpractice carriers are looking to take that risk).

The "opt-out" states are opting out of CMS guidelines for reimbursement. It has nothing to do with a federal law.

I wonder how many assassinations by independent CRNAs it will take until we do have a federal law, though. I'm guessing one or two public officials and it'll be front page news.

:bow: Exactly. You don't have to sit there and teach them x/y/z like some of the damn attendings I see. Especially when they kiss up to you :love: and make you feel oh sooo smart :barf: that you let them do whatever they want.

I would hope that attendings are not easily swayed by the CRNAs ploy to coax their ego.

There's no doubt in my mind that I would trust the medical knowledge of even a CA1 over a cRNA.

AA's are great. We have plenty working alongside our CRNAs. I have not noticed a difference in quality of care. That ICU nursing experience of turning patients and wiping their ass and doing things like providing oral care and monitoring a decub don't really help much with anesthesia. So in reality the clinical background/training is very similar for an AA and a CRNA.

CRNA

Our CRNAs/SRNAs do not perform any regional anesthesia techniques aside from SRNAs doing spinals on OB with me gloved up.

They also don't put in central lines.

I'm not sure what the word "actionable" means in this instance, but I'd love to see a lawsuit over it. In my state, CRNAs cannot practice independently. Furthermore, the CRNAs I work with are my employees. They don't work for the hospital, they work for me. The hospital contracts with me (and my partners) to provide 100% of the anesthesia care. If the SRNAs get zero numbers of anything, it isn't my problem and they can go find another clinical site if the need arises.