Seniors, time to help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

make you smile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a request to who ever has already reached their goal and gotten admission into a dental school to take a few minutes and post their story,preferably with their stats and experiences.It will be a way relive your journey and also will be big motivation for all of us still on our way. This forum has given us so much. We have taken so much from it, why not give back?

To start with I am calling on BombayBDS, Krishdentist.I know you are there for us but please do tell us about your journey.

Members don't see this ad.

Even though I was not initially listed nor I consider myself a 'senior'(lol), I figured I could try to share some of my little experience here once I've already reached my initial goal of been accepted where I wanted to (UIC).

I can say that it was not easy and felt like it took forever, but it was totally worthy.

Let me start with my "last years' big time bummer": in 2010 (applying for the 2011 cycle) I was pretty naive, let's put it this way, and didn't quite try my best in every possible way to reach my goals, as I result all I had was rejection letters.

Last year I applied to UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago), UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) and UMICH (University of Michigan, which btw didn't open application for 2012). I applied pretty late on the process, really close to the deadline for all of the schools, and didn't put my best effort on the applications. Most of the schools state that it is important to apply as early as possible as we can read here on the forum many of them start send IV's (and even acceptance in some cases) before they reach the deadline, the only exception that I found was UCLA that says that it doesn't matter when you apply as long as it's before the deadline once they only start reviewing the applications after the deadline. So my humble advice on that matter is very simple: apply as early as you can, and to show interest get in touch with the schools before the application process (I'll talk a bit more about this at the end).

Before anyone start asking I'll stress again that stats alone don't tell much, unless they're extremely low they won't get you in or out, schools look for different things and what might be important for one might not be for the other (don't ask me about specific schools because I sincerely don't know, I could tell you what would I look for if I was on an admission committee, but I'm not so...), NO ONE on SDN will be able to tell you your chances of getting in!!! Once again don't get me wrong, high scores are a differential and it's great to have high numbers (which btw I don't...), but it's just a tinny little part of a whole package!!
For the curious ones my stats are on the fourth post of this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=850556

This year things were very different, I always like to look back at my rejection letters as a wake up call, I kept them and every now and then I looked back at them and kept reminding myself that I'd do everything possible to never have to receive one of those again, and so it was.

This year I applied as early as I could to UIC, UPENN (University of Pennsylvania), UOP (University of Pacific), USC (University of Southern California, Herman Ostrow), UCSF (University of California, San Francisco). And was really happy to receive Interview Invites from ALL of them, and even happier for getting my acceptance at UIC before the IV's at the other schools that I promptly declined (saved me a lot of money in plane tickets and bench exam fees). So I'll now try to describe what I did different from last year putting a little timeline and some suggestions for the newbies.

I started preparing my application for 2011 (2012 cycle) in november/december of 2010, the first thing I did was to take some time (about 2 to 3 weeks) to literally do research and get to know better the schools I was planning on applying. Their requirements in details, fees, deadlines, tuition, establish some initial contact with admissions offices, try not to ask the obvious, don't ask what you can find on school's website, save pertinent questions not to overflow their inboxes with bs, that way they'll know that you that you're interested and you gave some of your important time to learn about the school.

With that in my mind I started as early as possible my CAAPID application. Be careful and pay special attention to details, as I mentioned before we don't know what schools are looking for so try to cover all of your bases, if you think that there's some info that needs to be added to your application seek for the right spot to type it in. Letters of evaluation are very important too, sometimes they can be even more uplifting to your application than your scores, speaking from experience I had the pleasure of receiving copies of my LOR's after they were submitted and I felt really happy reading those flattering lines about myself. Just as important on the application is the Personal Statement, it took me about 2 months to have the final version of my SOP, read it for yourself, make as much changes as needed, include all the info you think is relevant, don't be a show off, but at the same time try to have your accomplishments detailed, and have a professional to review your grammar.

After having it all ready all I had to do was submit and wait, those months of waiting are the worst… There's nothing you can do that will change anything, just wait. For those taking bench exam I don't have any valuable suggestions once I didn't take any.

Well, this was MY experience and that was what worked for ME. My lines were merely for sharing my experience and will not guarantee anyones' acceptance in any school for following what I did, I hope that I could throw some light for you guys and if you think I can help in anyway let me know and I'll be more than happy to do so.

Be fighters, be believers! Good luck for you all!:luck:

Reactions: 1 user
I'll make it short here, cuz I got a test tmro!!!

started preparing in 2009feb. dr. DM who is a dear friend, guided me a lot.
I was in India all the while and handled all my applications from there.
Im a re-applicant.

I figured by the end of 2009 that UCSF was the school I really wanted to go to and decided to focus solely on it.
spent time building my CV, strengthening my app.
2010 - applied to UOP, UCSF, NYU, BU.
IV calls - UOP, UCSF, NYU.
IV attended- UOP, UCSF

acceptances (first list - {ok, this part is just to make me feel good before an exam :) } ) - UOP, UCSF.

I did not attend NYU Iv.

My tips to everyone -
1) be positive in life. No one likes negative people and its bad for your health.
2) surround yourself with people who are keen to see you succeed. family members generally top that list.
3) you only live once. invest in yourself everyday - tc of your health and relations.
4) Dont forget me..Im always here for you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a ton Hope 4 and Bombay Bds for your great inputs.I apprecate it.Hey ,Bombay BDS you said you spent time building CV and strengthening app.,Can you give better insight to it.How can we strengthen our CV and application.
Thanks for your valuable time.

Hello!
HOPE4,PLS,post your stats.

This is a request to who ever has already reached their goal and gotten admission into a dental school to take a few minutes and post their story,preferably with their stats and experiences.It will be a way relive your journey and also will be big motivation for all of us still on our way. This forum has given us so much. We have taken so much from it, why not give back?

To start with I am calling on BombayBDS, Krishdentist.I know you are there for us but please do tell us about your journey.

Thank you for asking. There are many seniors on this forum who had an incredible journey to achieve DDS and even further residencies and fellowships.
Few words about my journey,

I did not have MPH or any masters degree to enlighten my resume more. So I worked on other areas to improve my resume. I had GPA close to 4, that was my plus point. Worked hard on TOEFL to achieve more than 100. I had decent NBDE 1 score. Prepared NBDE 2 well before application season starts. and got decent score in that too. I had many paper and poster presentations during my schooling in home country. So that I put towards research exp. I had 2 years of assistant/shadowing exp of states and 1 year of private practice in home country.
I don't want to emphasize more on my personal resume but what I am trying is to show you that you need fair experience and scores in all the area. You should not seat with just one thing in hand. I had a very good seniors who guided me and my dentist who prepared me for practicals.
In first round applied to Loma Linda, UCSF, USC, UOP, NYU, BU
Interviewed at Loma Linda, UCSF, USC
Accepted at UCSF, USC
and now I am attending my dream school UCSF. ( In fact every ones dream school who has interview here!:) )
I will also encourage you to check out this blogs. These are some great mentors of mine.

http://youth-towards-divinity.blogspot.com/
http://www.enervative.blogspot.com/

Keep working hard guys:thumb up: :xf: If you need guidance there are lot many well wishers around here. Good luck to you all.:thumbup:

Thank you Hope4 for sharing your story.
Thank you, BombayBDS. I know dental school is so hectic.
Thank you, Krishdentist.

Thank you guys, we really appreciate it.

Here goes my story....
nbde part 1 august 2010: 86
nbde part 2 may 2011: 82
Toefl :110
GPA 3.95
graduated from India in 2009.
externship of 15 days in india in remote rural area
10 months experience as a general dentist in india
shadowing/observorship in US: 1 year
Volunteer more than 200 hours: 1 year
Various academic awards and distinctions
extracurricular activities, leadership experience as school head girl, class representative, debate awards, poetry awards, sports participation,
lots and lots of public health community dental experience both in US and india
online free CE courses , attended a very reputed dental conference in US
3 publications, paper presentations and seminar presentations
registered dental assistant license
american Heart Association: CPR certification.
Dexterity Skills improved from worst to best (acc to American Standard requirements) by taking Duggans course but spent without any doubt from compressor to endless amount of burs,typodonts and other instruments..
Associations: Indian dental association, american dental assistants assoication, texas dental association.
2010 CAAPID CYCLE: applied late with no part 2 and no US experience and US letter of recommendation, around september in 5-6 schools, interviewed at 2, UTHSCSA and Colorado, rejection from all.
2011 CAAPID CYCLE: applied early with part 2 and a very very updated experience, applied in 17 schools (yes, wherever I was eligible, i applied) namely
UOP pacific, UCSF, USC, UCLA, LLU, VCU,Buffalo, UMDNJ,UPITT, UPENN, TUFTS, Howard, Louisville, UMN, UTHSCSA, BU, NYU

I am on temporary dependent visa, i don't have any green card filed till date to make things clear.
Interviews 2011: LLU, VCU, USC,UMDNJ, Buffalo
Accepted : VCU
waitlisted: LLU
interviews declined and withdrew application: USC, Buffalo
Waiting for invites from elsewhere to decline the interview ...

Regarding NBDE Part 2:

Regarding Part 2, I didnt use board busters but mosby review is the standard book, know it thorough.... Do join qbankdmd.com for great questions especially in patient management... Read the ADA syllabus well , see what topic of each subject carries how many marks... you will be surprised that basic topics of diagnosis and tmt planning form the majority marks, rest detailed topics are less asked. I even used First aid Q and A book (its not the review book, just a qbank) and had read the dental decks once. Mainly practice mosby cd, qbankdmd.com, released papers.. before starting anything, read the ADA syllabus given in the NBDE part 2 candidate guide very well....

Tips to remember always:
1. Believe youself and keep going until you reach where YOU want. Dont compromise. Have patience. You have no friend in this admissions process, no one will tell you or adivce you.. You'll have to FIND ADVICE on the internet.

2. if you have to find anything, or have a stupidest doubt on bench test or interview or any exam: use GOOGLE, thats your best friend, SDN ADVISES COME LAST. modify the search words in google till you find your answers, believe me GOOGLE KNOWS ALMOST EVERYTHING REQUIRED TO GET ADMISSION INTO IDP.

3. apply early..early means june end.. you should finish all supplemental applications by mid- june.. You need to have almost one month to write yourself an excellent personal statement. Make sure your letter of evaluations express your true value, so choose your evaluators with a notion to represent the clinical dentistry. I chose a pedodontist, an oral surgeon and a general dentist as my evaluators.

4. spent as much time on the supplemental questions so as to make a best possible mature answer.

5. apply to ALL SCHOOLS where you find yourself fitting eligible in their requirements.

6. try to read the PRE-DENTAL forum on SDN, it would give you the best info on what dental schools in admissions require and how to fulfil... International Dentist admissions are a process where they judge you in the interview as pe-dental student + some bench test.

7. don't think if you cleared all exams, you have automatically got admission, passing NBDE is just the entry ticket for the admissions process and makes you eligible to apply.. real process is filllin yup your application inm inute detail, sophistication, clarity of thought, maturity and responsible use of words to present yourself in the best possible way.

8. bench test : duggans course, yes its the best though it pains paying him so much..when you are there, draw every little amount of knowledge he gives you.. yes for me he was a genius who can tell you valubable practical experiences that it would turn the tables for you.listen to his video lecture as many times as you can... i listened it like 1000 times, and every time i found a new particular detail to help me...a 9 day course would tell you what to do, but if you have the interview rite on th 10th day, you cant clear the bech test... after his course you need months of personal practice to reach to perfection.. yes schools do want to see how far you reach their criteria of perfection.

9. every time you get invited for an interview, try to know what all do they ask, then try to find the EVALUATION CRITERIA FOR THAT PARTICULAR EXERCISE eg
in my vcu interview we had AMALGAM RESTORATION, i found the evaluation criteria for it on SRTA website... The candidate guides of WREB, NERB, SRTA have the poin to point criteria of what is tested... try to find out based on the location of dental school, which of these would be helpful...eg california schools = Western Regional board, east coast schools= NERB North east regional board, Southern schools = mix of wreb and srta.
when practising at home, dont just practice blindly, know these criteria and try to make what the criteria want.

10. any interview prep: in your computer, you have a different folder of each school

eg in mine
Desktop>caapid>various schools different folder>vcu>admssion criteria, a copy of application, personal statement, resume, any quesstionaire etc,fee, a MS word doc file of previous interview experiences gathered by searching sdn archive and google.
so that everytime you get an interview call, you dnt have to waste time gathering the stuff you already worked so hard... get techie smart.

11. read books on interview prep, try kindle app for windows, you would find books in 1-5 $ range... they help you a lot.

12.on the day of interview, be your best at every moment. even while talking to current students, remember at the day of interview they are not your friends rather they are also trying to judge which candidates fits like them, so be professional with them as well, dont babble around foolishly... the body language and expressions play a major role.

13. dont forget to send a thank you letter or email. google it how you write if you don't know.

14. your application, stats, resume, personal statement are precious.. dont just keep pasting them everywhere, there are parasites around... so beware.

15 Help only that much which you know, you can handle, dont just spoon feed a lazy soul who is drenching your brain to know things that are supposed to be done by oneself.

16. no one can give you an estimate on "What are my chances of admission" if you come from a place believing in astrology, then lemme be strictly saying that "nobody can tell your chances" you have to create a chance on your own.

17.don't get overconfident on getting an interview invite, it is just an interview, where the ratio of acceptance is like 1:3 to 1:5.... so be happy but don't let your excitatory neuro-transmitters shut off your brains with over-activity.

18. share your interview experience after you are done...

STAY HUNGRY,STAY FOOLISH....and THINK DIFFERENTLY (away from stats, Think like an american dental professional)
good luck

Last edited:
EXCELLENT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats toothfairyqueen. And thanks for helping us all. The people who bashed you earlier for not posting your stats must be staring with their mouths open right now! Hats off to you. Hope u will stick around SDN even when u r in school.

Here goes my story....
GPA 3.95
extracurricular activities, leadership experience as school head girl, class representative, debate awards, poetry awards, sports participation,
Dexterity Skills improved from worst to best (acc to American Standard requirements) by taking Duggans course but spent without any doubt from compressor to endless amount of burs,typodonts and other instruments..
Associations: Indian dental association, american dental assistants assoication, texas dental association.
2010 CAAPID CYCLE: applied late with no part 2 and no US experience and US letter of recommendation, around september in 5-6 schools, interviewed at 2, UTHSCSA and Colorado, rejection from all.
2011 CAAPID CYCLE: applied early with part 2 and a very very updated experience, applied in 17 schools (yes, wherever I was eligible, i applied) namely
UOP pacific, UCSF, USC, UCLA, LLU, VCU,Buffalo, UMDNJ,UPITT, UPENN, TUFTS, Howard, Louisville, UMN, UTHSCSA, BU, NYU

I am on temporary dependent visa, i don't have any green card filed till date to make things clear.

Regarding NBDE Part 2:

Regarding Part 2, I didnt use board busters but mosby review is the standard book, know it thorough.... Do join qbankdmd.com for great questions especially in patient management... Read the ADA syllabus well , see what topic of each subject carries how many marks... you will be surprised that basic topics of diagnosis and tmt planning form the majority marks, rest detailed topics are less asked. I even used First aid Q and A book (its not the review book, just a qbank) and had read the dental decks once. Mainly practice mosby cd, qbankdmd.com, released papers.. before starting anything, read the ADA syllabus given in the NBDE part 2 candidate guide very well....

Tips to remember always:
1. Believe youself and keep going until you reach where YOU want. Dont compromise. Have patience. You have no friend in this admissions process, no one will tell you or adivce you.. You'll have to FIND ADVICE on the internet.

2. if you have to find anything, or have a stupidest doubt on bench test or interview or any exam: use GOOGLE, thats your best friend, SDN ADVISES COME LAST. modify the search words in google till you find your answers, believe me GOOGLE KNOWS ALMOST EVERYTHING REQUIRED TO GET ADMISSION INTO IDP.

3. apply early..early means june end.. you should finish all supplemental applications by mid- june.. You need to have almost one month to write yourself an excellent personal statement. Make sure your letter of evaluations express your true value, so choose your evaluators with a notion to represent the clinical dentistry. I chose a pedodontist, an oral surgeon and a general dentist as my evaluators.

4. spent as much time on the supplemental questions so as to make a best possible mature answer.

5. apply to ALL SCHOOLS where you find yourself fitting eligible in their requirements.

6. try to read the PRE-DENTAL forum on SDN, it would give you the best info on what dental schools in admissions require and how to fulfil... International Dentist admissions are a process where they judge you in the interview as pe-dental student + some bench test.

7. don't think if you cleared all exams, you have automatically got admission, passing NBDE is just the entry ticket for the admissions process and makes you eligible to apply.. real process is filllin yup your application inm inute detail, sophistication, clarity of thought, maturity and responsible use of words to present yourself in the best possible way.

8. bench test : duggans course, yes its the best though it pains paying him so much..when you are there, draw every little amount of knowledge he gives you.. yes for me he was a genius who can tell you valubable practical experiences that it would turn the tables for you.listen to his video lecture as many times as you can... i listened it like 1000 times, and every time i found a new particular detail to help me...a 9 day course would tell you what to do, but if you have the interview rite on th 10th day, you cant clear the bech test... after his course you need months of personal practice to reach to perfection.. yes schools do want to see how far you reach their criteria of perfection.

9. every time you get invited for an interview, try to know what all do they ask, then try to find the EVALUATION CRITERIA FOR THAT PARTICULAR EXERCISE eg
in my vcu interview we had AMALGAM RESTORATION, i found the evaluation criteria for it on SRTA website... The candidate guides of WREB, NERB, SRTA have the poin to point criteria of what is tested... try to find out based on the location of dental school, which of these would be helpful...eg california schools = Western Regional board, east coast schools= NERB North east regional board, Southern schools = mix of wreb and srta.
when practising at home, dont just practice blindly, know these criteria and try to make what the criteria want.

10. any interview prep: in your computer, you have a different folder of each school

eg in mine
Desktop>caapid>various schools different folder>vcu>admssion criteria, a copy of application, personal statement, resume, any quesstionaire etc,fee, a MS word doc file of previous interview experiences gathered by searching sdn archive and google.
so that everytime you get an interview call, you dnt have to waste time gathering the stuff you already worked so hard... get techie smart.

11. read books on interview prep, try kindle app for windows, you would find books in 1-5 $ range... they help you a lot.

12.on the day of interview, be your best at every moment. even while talking to current students, remember at the day of interview they are not your friends rather they are also trying to judge which candidates fits like them, so be professional with them as well, dont babble around foolishly... the body language and expressions play a major role.

13. dont forget to send a thank you letter or email. google it how you write if you don't know.

14. your application, stats, resume, personal statement are precious.. dont just keep pasting them everywhere, there are parasites around... so beware.

15 Help only that much which you know, you can handle, dont just spoon feed a lazy soul who is drenching your brain to know things that are supposed to be done by oneself.

16. no one can give you an estimate on "What are my chances of admission" if you come from a place believing in astrology, then lemme be strictly saying that "nobody can tell your chances" you have to create a chance on your own.

17.don't get overconfident on getting an interview invite, it is just an interview, where the ratio of acceptance is like 1:3 to 1:5.... so be happy but don't let your excitatory neuro-transmitters shut off your brains with over-activity.

STAY HUNGRY,STAY FOOLISH....and THINK DIFFERENTLY (away from stats, Think like an american dental professional)
good luck
hey congrats toothfairyqueen.u really deserve it.Good luck and have fun in school :)

Congratulations toothfairyqueen! Thank you for the detailed post. It is a BIG help to all of us.

Thanks for your valuable input. You have mentioned that ' Read the ADA syllabus well , see what topic of each subject carries how many marks... you will be surprised that basic topics of diagnosis and tmt planning form the majority marks, rest detailed topics are less asked'

I couldnt find the breakdown of each subject in the ADA guide.. and someone pls forward me the same.. thanks !
Here goes my story....
GPA 3.95

Regarding NBDE Part 2:

Tips to remember always:

eg in mine

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your valuable input. You have mentioned that ' Read the ADA syllabus well , see what topic of each subject carries how many marks... you will be surprised that basic topics of diagnosis and tmt planning form the majority marks, rest detailed topics are less asked'

I couldnt find the breakdown of each subject in the ADA guide.. and someone pls forward me the same.. thanks !

www.ada.org/sections/.../pdfs/nbde02_examinee_guide.pdf
pages 33-34

For that you have to spend some time to read everything.. Go to http://www.ada.org/2665.aspx Click and open NBDE Part II Guide (PDF) . Read the whole guide for other info. before going directly at the end to find weightage of scores.

Everything else seems right except this one bit.

Applying to many schools is recommended... certainly not all schools.

Here goes my story....
GPA 3.95

Regarding NBDE Part 2:

Tips to remember always:

eg in mine

good luck

What a nice post. I was wondering how to get research and public health experience in the US? and also what are the awards and distinctions that people can get?

Everything else seems right except this one bit.

Applying to many schools is recommended... certainly not all schools.

May I know why are you against the concept of applying to all eligible schools? Any particular reason?

What a nice post. I was wondering how to get research and public health experience in the US? and also what are the awards and distinctions that people can get?

I never mentioned research experience but yes people do work as volunteer research assistants if you have any research institutes near to where you live. Public health experience just google for volunteer opportunities near your zip code on dental related activities.

Here goes my story....
GPA 3.95

Regarding NBDE Part 2:

Tips to remember always:

eg in mine

good luck

a sincere thanx fr putin all dis effort !!

Here goes my story....
GPA 3.95

Regarding NBDE Part 2:

Tips to remember always:

eg in mine

good luck

Congrats to u ...bt jst want to ask u one question that vcu says tht dey prefer citizen or usa pr people bt u hv mentioned tht u r on dependent visa...,its a great thing tht despite al tht u gt admitted bt im a foreign dentist livin in my homeland only hv visitor visa..so do u rely think applyin dere wil b worth fr me?????

Congrats to u ...bt jst want to ask u one question that vcu says tht dey prefer citizen or usa pr people bt u hv mentioned tht u r on dependent visa...,its a great thing tht despite al tht u gt admitted bt im a foreign dentist livin in my homeland only hv visitor visa..so do u rely think applyin dere wil b worth fr me?????

toothfairyqueen, first of all congrats and the post was very informative, thxs for that.

But how does one having a temp dependent visa is eligible to apply to VCU. I'm in student status here, am i eligible to apply to VCU.

toothfairyqueen, first of all congrats and the post was very informative, thxs for that.

But how does one having a temp dependent visa is eligible to apply to VCU. I'm in student status here, am i eligible to apply to VCU.
It sounds really rude questioning my eligiblity to apply to the school where i got accepted, still I think you should research the school's website before putting these words.
FYI
read their PDF in caapid directory, it says,-
Program prefers candidates who are US citizens or Permanent Resident card holders. Exceptions may be made on an individual basis. Applicants do not have to be residents of the state of Virginia in order to apply.

Send proof of legal residency
You must send a copy of your immigration documentation (US passport, permanent resident card or Visa) directly to our program

hope you get it now..

Last edited:
It sounds really rude questioning my eligiblity to apply to the school where i got accepted, still I think you should research the school's website before putting these words.
FYI
read their PDF in caapid directory, it says,-
Program prefers candidates who are US citizens or Permanent Resident card holders. Exceptions may be made on an individual basis. Applicants do not have to be residents of the state of Virginia in order to apply.

Send proof of legal residency
You must send a copy of your immigration documentation (US passport, permanent resident card or Visa) directly to our program

hope you get it now..

When you put it like that, 'questioning my eligibility and all', well, it does sound rude. Shud have worded differently!!

Yes! the pdf thing in caapid, i completely forgot abt that!

When you put it like that, 'questioning my eligibility and all', well, it does sound rude. Shud have worded differently!!

Yes! the pdf thing in caapid, i completely forgot abt that!

you know what, words cannot express the emotion as hard one may try...
lets forget abt it and persume, nonbody was rude to anyone.. cool!!! :)

Congratulations on VCU. Your post on the bench test description showed how exhaustive and competitive it must have been.
Pretty cool to have got there! Good luck ahead :)

Toothfairy, many many many manyyy congrats...Wishing you all the best!!

Ps: love your attitude!!!!:luck:

May I know why are you against the concept of applying to all eligible schools? Any particular reason?

I agree with the concept of applying to all eligible schools. If you have the money to do so go for it! :)

This year I selected 12 schools that I was eligible, and I had interest to apply. As I don't have that much money, I applied to 5 of the schools with the earliest deadline, and then waited to hear from them. Their deadlines were between July and mid August (and early September).

Then I wrote down dates, if I haven't heard from this schools until that date I would have moved forward and applied to the other schools. I'm glad I didn't have to apply to those other 7 schools... $$$

Good luck everyone!

Wow ! Thanks a lot for sharing your experience here.. I totally lost hope after not scoring well on NBDE 1.. Thanks a ton and I am truly happy that you made it to such an awsome school - Congratulations ! truly happy for you. God bless.
Even though I was not initially listed nor I consider myself a 'senior'(lol), I figured I could try to share some of my little experience here once I've already reached my initial goal of been accepted where I wanted to (UIC).

I can say that it was not easy and felt like it took forever, but it was totally worthy.

Let me start with my "last years' big time bummer": in 2010 (applying for the 2011 cycle) I was pretty naive, let's put it this way, and didn't quite try my best in every possible way to reach my goals, as I result all I had was rejection letters.

Last year I applied to UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago), UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) and UMICH (University of Michigan, which btw didn't open application for 2012). I applied pretty late on the process, really close to the deadline for all of the schools, and didn't put my best effort on the applications. Most of the schools state that it is important to apply as early as possible as we can read here on the forum many of them start send IV's (and even acceptance in some cases) before they reach the deadline, the only exception that I found was UCLA that says that it doesn't matter when you apply as long as it's before the deadline once they only start reviewing the applications after the deadline. So my humble advice on that matter is very simple: apply as early as you can, and to show interest get in touch with the schools before the application process (I'll talk a bit more about this at the end).

Before anyone start asking I'll stress again that stats alone don't tell much, unless they're extremely low they won't get you in or out, schools look for different things and what might be important for one might not be for the other (don't ask me about specific schools because I sincerely don't know, I could tell you what would I look for if I was on an admission committee, but I'm not so...), NO ONE on SDN will be able to tell you your chances of getting in!!! Once again don't get me wrong, high scores are a differential and it's great to have high numbers (which btw I don't...), but it's just a tinny little part of a whole package!!
For the curious ones my stats are on the fourth post of this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=850556

This year things were very different, I always like to look back at my rejection letters as a wake up call, I kept them and every now and then I looked back at them and kept reminding myself that I'd do everything possible to never have to receive one of those again, and so it was.

This year I applied as early as I could to UIC, UPENN (University of Pennsylvania), UOP (University of Pacific), USC (University of Southern California, Herman Ostrow), UCSF (University of California, San Francisco). And was really happy to receive Interview Invites from ALL of them, and even happier for getting my acceptance at UIC before the IV's at the other schools that I promptly declined (saved me a lot of money in plane tickets and bench exam fees). So I'll now try to describe what I did different from last year putting a little timeline and some suggestions for the newbies.

I started preparing my application for 2011 (2012 cycle) in november/december of 2010, the first thing I did was to take some time (about 2 to 3 weeks) to literally do research and get to know better the schools I was planning on applying. Their requirements in details, fees, deadlines, tuition, establish some initial contact with admissions offices, try not to ask the obvious, don't ask what you can find on school's website, save pertinent questions not to overflow their inboxes with bs, that way they'll know that you that you're interested and you gave some of your important time to learn about the school.

With that in my mind I started as early as possible my CAAPID application. Be careful and pay special attention to details, as I mentioned before we don't know what schools are looking for so try to cover all of your bases, if you think that there's some info that needs to be added to your application seek for the right spot to type it in. Letters of evaluation are very important too, sometimes they can be even more uplifting to your application than your scores, speaking from experience I had the pleasure of receiving copies of my LOR's after they were submitted and I felt really happy reading those flattering lines about myself. Just as important on the application is the Personal Statement, it took me about 2 months to have the final version of my SOP, read it for yourself, make as much changes as needed, include all the info you think is relevant, don't be a show off, but at the same time try to have your accomplishments detailed, and have a professional to review your grammar.

After having it all ready all I had to do was submit and wait, those months of waiting are the worst… There's nothing you can do that will change anything, just wait. For those taking bench exam I don't have any valuable suggestions once I didn't take any.

Well, this was MY experience and that was what worked for ME. My lines were merely for sharing my experience and will not guarantee anyones' acceptance in any school for following what I did, I hope that I could throw some light for you guys and if you think I can help in anyway let me know and I'll be more than happy to do so.

Be fighters, be believers! Good luck for you all!:luck:

I belive its unwise to apply to ALL schools. thats an insane amount of money and paperwork to follow up on.
A better approach is to Think before you apply.
come up with a list of schools you like and then work hard towards getting accepted in them.

come up with a list of schools you like and then work hard towards getting accepted in them.

Each candidate has to broaden one's horizon beyond one's likes or dislikes since getting into one's choice of dental school is a big fantasy since you know how competitive dental school admissions are. I believe its best to keep "the wish list" of dental schools but then by applying to all "eligible" schools is safe and making yourself prepared for the "risk of denial".

Its only because no one is so smart that one can choose a dental school or himself or herself, if one does, then the number of spots are too less with high number of applicants. Its a mere "survival of the fittest at the fittest dental school".Investment of applying is worth the fruit.

Each candidate has to broaden one's horizon beyond one's likes or dislikes since getting into one's choice of dental school is a big fantasy since you know how competitive dental school admissions are. I believe its best to keep "the wish list" of dental schools but then by applying to all "eligible" schools is safe and making yourself prepared for the "risk of denial".

Its only because no one is so smart that one can choose a dental school or himself or herself, if one does, then the number of spots are too less with high number of applicants. Its a mere "survival of the fittest at the fittest dental school".Investment of applying is worth the fruit.

It's individual perspective - applying to all schools possible or to few limited

For instance if you live in east coast and there is no way that you can move to West coast -- applying to CA is not a goog idea. However, if there is slightest of option to move..so you don't end up wasting another year fighting for admissions...its always good to apply to one or two california schools..which has so many more seats than some others..

I kinda a feel its safe to apply all possible schools..because its worth the investment - my one year wasted is much costlier than the money I would spend on 5 more schools...why take a chance...if one can afford to apply..
For example: I would not like to apply to a school that is way way far from where I live and I won't like to move..and that school only has 5 seats..
But I may apply to a school that is far but has 30 seats...

The process is called - "Shortlisting"

First thing you want to do is..write down all schools that offer International program
Take the obvious once out that has green card limitations..and you dont have one...
For instance there is this one in Puerto Rico..that has international program...but Spanish language is a requirement..so strike that out ..if you dont know spanish
Univ of Illinois needs GC or Citizens...so strike it out if you dont have one..

and then strike out the once...that are 3 yr or keep them on your low list....and if they are 3 yr and far far away....strike them out..

so you get the point on how you can shortlist...

In my opinion - I would apply to all schools whereever I am eligible, I can move, I (loans can) can pay the fee and I like the length of their program...

Always remember there are some factors that you can never count for...you may have the best score..best resume..best SOP...but still the university likes to offers seats to reapplicants...or gives very high importance to Diversity...and if you come from a nation which has 10 applicants for 15 seats.....obviously they are only going to give 2 seats per nation (just an example) even though you a have a great application...Diversity is a very very important factor for certain schools..and I agree with why it is important..

Also, always keep safe options in your list... for example my safe options were BU (if you have mid to high scores) and NYU (3 yrs program with 125 seats)...

I hope this helps..

MakeYouSmile - this is one tip on 'shortlisting" -- i'll keep on adding more from my experience - as I get time.. thanks for starting the thread.

A couple of people were asking for my stats..so I thought I would chip in.

My stats are not very great.
Part 1:86
Part 2:76
Toefl :111
gpa: 2.76

I applied for 3 years. The first year I applied..I was very late and could apply only to two universities -BU and NYU.Rejection without a call.

Next year I applied to 8-10 schools.Got a call from LLU and NOVA.Attended the interview and was blown away by the competition. Keep in mind that students attending the interview would have years of experience or done an AEGD,so would have good skills.So I got rejected after the call.

Third year,applied to the same universities(DIdnt add any more on my list,because reapplicants get preference and no point applying to fresh ones)
This time I got 5 calls (got some later too by phone call,but I politely declined) I attended all of them and got accepted at 3!!!

So what did I learn in this process? My gpa was low..I had almost zero hopes. But I didnt know what else to do.My spouse always used to tell me not to worry..even if I didnt get into one,I could always work at Taco bell. That terrified me a lot. This thought itself gave me the drive coz I cant stand for 11 hours straight:laugh:
Somehow, I started working on my resume.I attended conferences, did CE courses including UMDNJ bench course. I assisted a dentist for 1 1/2 year.This really helped me alot because it became a point of conversation in most of my interviews. I practiced like crazy...took suggestions from current IDP students. Saw youtube videos.Many keep asking from where to read up on surveying. Come on guys...open your eyes and just use google!!There are 2 sets of videos on youtube for step by step surveying.

My hands were at ease and when I showed my work to UOP students,they also mentioned it was good.
The next issue I had was how to interview.My practs were good at UOP,but my personal interview didnt go well. Prepare well for each typical interview q...but be comfortable.When I tell someone be prepared for "WHy should we take you?"..they counter question me as to what answer they should give for that. How am I supposed to answer that? You should know yourself better,right? Be aggressive!Google for the style of answering such questions.(I put the word style in bold,coz you just want the format,not the answer itself) You should not be redundant..be subtle when you talk about yourself.

Someone else asked me about case study and how to prepare for it. There is no book which will guide you on how to answer the case questions. Use common sense and your knowledge on dentistry,please.It is just like the cases on part 2. How did you prepare for those?
For questions on how to apply and pick a school...please search for feedback on that school. You will ALWAYS find info in the past interview threads.FOr eg...UMN has a strict cut off.Applicants discuss this in the previous years.Look at the acceptance stats..but also use your judgement.Dont always go by what is said here.Also use your instincts.Please,please...do some research on what you are looking for,and decide based on your judgement.

My point is...stats are important.Hell yeah!It could get you in,much faster. But if you dont know how to conduct yourself well...what point are those stats?
For those who worry about not getting calls with part 1..stop worrying and start working on your part 2. With part 2,and being a reapplicant..you are bound to get a call and THEN,everything is in your hands!

For the record, When I got my part 1, I asked someone here on SDN ,if I had a chance with my gpa. They said it is unlikely with this gpa....I dont blame anyone,but dont let anyone tell you "You cant do it"...not even yourself.Unless you try something,how will you know if it was meant for you or not?

Last edited:
Hi dingash and rose82,

Thank you very much for posting your experiences.We all appreciate it.

Now where are the other people with acceptances? After the banana dance, did you forget SDN? Do you have to invited exclusively by your name? Why cant you be more forthcoming like Hope4 and rose82? What are you going to lose by penning down your experiences and stats? It just helps us to know where we stand and what we can do to improve our resume.

Hi dingash and rose82,

Thank you very much for posting your experiences.We all appreciate it.

Now where are the other people with acceptances? After the banana dance, did you forget SDN? Do you have to invited exclusively by your name? Why cant you be more forthcoming like Hope4 and rose82? What are you going to lose by penning down your experiences and stats? It just helps us to know where we stand and what we can do to improve our resume.

I will definitely post. It's just that I am busy with my family and work!

I have already posted my experiences... i have posted them this year..i had posted them last yr... i need to look up for thr previous posts to paste the link

there is a difference between applying to MOST schools and ALL schools.

there is a difference between applying to MOST schools and ALL schools.

its upto you whether you want to take the risk of wasting one year due to not applying to ALL schools.
If One does not care about his precious one year, he can apply to few schools and wait.
If someone want to get into DDS ASAP, he will do whatever it takes.

its really on individual basis.

its upto you whether you want to take the risk of wasting one year due to not applying to ALL schools.
If One does not care about his precious one year, he can apply to few schools and wait.
If someone want to get into DDS ASAP, he will do whatever it takes.

its really on individual basis.

As you said it's on individual basis. You want to get into school but you don't have the money to apply to ALL schools, what are you going to do?

Individual basis.
--> dingash's post is just perfect!

As you said it's on individual basis. You want to get into school but you don't have the money to apply to ALL schools, what are you going to do?

Individual basis.
--> dingash's post is just perfect!

Money is an important issue but if its that much an issue that you can stay away from applications then I guess its better to stay away from dental school, which is far more expensive. If anybody so desperate and determined to get into school, he/she will cut expenses on other sources definitely being miser on one's applications or studies a foolish advice..

For every prospective candidate, its a humble experience that I am sharing and do not want to keep you in darkness, you need to do make investments before, during and after dental school applications, so think very wisely before getting into this process. And if you are not applying in your eligible schools because of money then you need to think twice before starting an application anywhere. Its not a gamble, my dear friends, its life. Abraham Lincoln had to struggle and spend for so many years to be one the greatest presidents of a greatest nation, so think before you jump in the application process. You need money and funds. But don't let your dreams cut off coz of it.

Cut of your other expenses but apply wherever you are eligible. Competition is too high, and now you have new challenges like DAT or God knows what else. If we can spend on starting from
1. visa
2. air travel to US from countries on the other ide of globe
3. teofl exam
4. nbde prep and exam
5. dat/ bench test prep/ interview expenses

Do you want to save money on reaching a sooo important step of applying to schools. I would say a fool would do that to destroy one's such a long hard work. Start preparing ans saving for applications from a year before if you are strongly determined, but if its a casual issue to you then keep applying to 3-4 schools and gamble each year.

Good luck friends, trying to give you a real picture in words, hope you find it and visualize the practical scenario. Decide for yourself and not waste your hard work only to save couple hundred dollars while becoming a dentist a year early, you can earn 100 times more.

Think deeply.

I agree with toothfairyqueen. Well think of it this way, dental school costs = $150,000-$200,000, that is if you are lucky to get in a 2 yr program in the least expensive schools. Whats the use of saving a $2000-$3000 in applications when u will ultimately have to repay a loan of $150,000 in the end? Ultimate goal with making more money as a dentist versus saving a few dollars now??? Thats an easy choice, in my opinion.

Money is an important issue but if its that much an issue that you can stay away from applications then I guess its better to stay away from dental school, which is far more expensive. If anybody so desperate and determined to get into school, he/she will cut expenses on other sources definitely being miser on one's applications or studies a foolish advice..

...And if you are not applying in your eligible schools because of money then you need to think twice before starting an application anywhere. Its not a gamble, my dear friends, its life. Abraham Lincoln had to struggle and spend for so many years to be one the greatest presidents of a greatest nation, so think before you jump in the application process. You need money and funds. But don't let your dreams cut off coz of it.

Cut of your other expenses but apply wherever you are eligible...

...Do you want to save money on reaching a sooo important step of applying to schools. I would say a fool would do that to destroy one's such a long hard work...

Think deeply.

It's not about saving money, it's more about not having it (I'm talking about myself sepecificaly here).

School is expensive, yes, but you can finance it, I guess pretty much everyone does so.

If you want to go and shoot for every single school that you are elegible it's a PERSONAL CHOICE, and money does matter! It widdens your chances BUT DON'T GARANTEE you in... Working hard on your application, your scores, SPO, LOR's, and many other things would improve your chances too.

I'm not talking about saving because you don't want to spend it, it is more like spending it wisely.

But once again, if you have a few thousand dollars to spare, GO FOR IT!

But if like me, you don't have a 'sponsor', and your funds are limited and you have a tight bugget and even tought there a 20 schools that you are elegible and you can only apply for 10 of those, choose using common sense, think deeply before making your final decision!

As I said, I was elegible for 15 schools. I picked out 12, and sorted out the important ones for me, taking in consideration personal choice. I applied for 5 of them at first, and was lucky enough to be accepted in my first choice even before going for interviews on the other 4 (oh, you have to put on the list the travelling and hotel for the interviews as well). If I wasn't accepted in any of those I still had a few other schools to send my application pretty fair in the timeline.

So, for one last time IT IS A PERSONAL CHOICE... And respect for others oppinion is highly appreciated. :)

Just some basic math here:
Application for 5 schools example (I'm using the ones I applied for)
CAAPID - $535
Schools individual fees - $595
Copies of NBDE and TOEFLS send to schools - $159
Airfare + hotel (picking the cheapest) - $1500
Total = $2789

I'm not taking in consideration a whole bunch of other numbers, but anyway, add the other schools that I was planning on applying this number would go up close to $6500, which was the top of my budget burning down pretty much all the money I've had...

Personal choice, do you have money? GO FOR IT!!

Don't have as much, choose wisely... ;)

Good luck everyone! :luck:

It's not about saving money, it's more about not having it (I'm talking about myself sepecificaly here).

School is expensive, yes, but you can finance it, I guess pretty much everyone does so.

If you want to go and shoot for every single school that you are elegible it's a PERSONAL CHOICE, and money does matter! It widdens your chances BUT DON'T GARANTEE you in... Working hard on your application, your scores, SPO, LOR's, and many other things would improve your chances too.

I'm not talking about saving because you don't want to spend it, it is more like spending it wisely.

But once again, if you have a few thousand dollars to spare, GO FOR IT!

But if like me, you don't have a 'sponsor', and your funds are limited and you have a tight bugget and even tought there a 20 schools that you are elegible and you can only apply for 10 of those, choose using common sense, think deeply before making your final decision!

As I said, I was elegible for 15 schools. I picked out 12, and sorted out the important ones for me, taking in consideration personal choice. I applied for 5 of them at first, and was lucky enough to be accepted in my first choice even before going for interviews on the other 4 (oh, you have to put on the list the travelling and hotel for the interviews as well). If I wasn't accepted in any of those I still had a few other schools to send my application pretty fair in the timeline.

So, for one last time IT IS A PERSONAL CHOICE... And respect for others oppinion is highly appreciated. :)

Just some basic math here:
Application for 5 schools example (I'm using the ones I applied for)
CAAPID - $535
Schools individual fees - $595
Copies of NBDE and TOEFLS send to schools - $159
Airfare + hotel (picking the cheapest) - $1500
Total = $2789

I'm not taking in consideration a whole bunch of other numbers, but anyway, add the other schools that I was planning on applying this number would go up close to $6500, which was the top of my budget burning down pretty much all the money I've had...

Personal choice, do you have money? GO FOR IT!!

Don't have as much, choose wisely... ;)

Good luck everyone! :luck:

i agree completely n i thnk dis wud b d scenario of many evn if nt of all.....

Just a gentle reminder to everyone, please keep to the purpose of the thread. All of us are dentists and have some experience with life and money.
We are the best judges of what to be done and how much money to be spent for a specific purpose and in a given situation. Let us limit ourselves to the main purpose of the thread.

@ Jtshsjt, do share your experience when you have the time.
@begottedbds please post the link when you have some time.

Other guys, we are still waiting for you. Thank you!

Just a gentle reminder to everyone, please keep to the purpose of the thread. All of us are dentists and have some experience with life and money.
We are the best judges of what to be done and how much money to be spent for a specific purpose and in a given situation. Let us limit ourselves to the main purpose of the thread.

Bingo! I was looking for someone to post this.