Official 2013 Anesthesiology Match Day Results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just login to the R3 again then bottom tab reports

Members don't see this ad.

Ah... thanks. Does anyone have the unfilled positions list?

That has the number available and number filled. I do have the list from when it was posted here by a lost soul but I am not sure if posting that would be legal or not. You can work out the numbers from the PDF after logging in to NRMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
That has the number available and number filled. I do have the list from when it was posted here by a lost soul but I am not sure if posting that would be legal or not. You can work out the numbers from the PDF after logging in to NRMP.

That is a LOT of work. It's 100% legal to post after the scramble/SOAP process is complete, which it is now. There are tons of old scramble lists floating around the internet. If you're concerned, I can PM you my email address and you could email to me? Or is it possible to PM a file? :confused:

Aight, I'll take your word for it. Arch, PGG, please feel free to remove posting if this violates something in your opinion.

Categorical Programs:

George Washington - DC - 1 spot
U Florida COM - 2 spots
LSU SOM - 1 spot
U Maryland Med - 4 spots
Boston Univ - 2 spots
U Mass - 1 spot
U Michigan - Ann Arbor - 4 spots
U Hosps-Columbia-MO - 1 spot
Dartmouth Med - 1 spot
Suny Brooklyn - 8 spots
Stony Brook - 2 spots
Hershey Med - 3 spots
Texas El Paso - 3 spots

Advanced Programs

Harbor-UCLA - 1 spot
U Florida COM - 5 spots
U Kansas SOM - 1 spot
Boston Univ - 1 spot
U Mass - 1 spot
U Hosps-Columbia-MO - 2 spots
Dartmouth Med - 2 spots
UMDNJ-Newark - 1 spot
Hershey Med - 4 spots

That is a LOT of work. It's 100% legal to post after the scramble/SOAP process is complete, which it is now. There are tons of old scramble lists floating around the internet. If you're concerned, I can PM you my email address and you could email to me? Or is it possible to PM a file? :confused:

I am curious, why would you want to see the unfilled list. You are matched to Hopkins. Besides, I would love to see their match list if the PD sent you that.

I am curious, why would you want to see the unfilled list. You are matched to Hopkins. Besides, I would love to see their match list if the PD sent you that.

Thanks for posting that, but I am actually more curious about the full pdf. I wanted to look at other specialties more than at anesthesiology. Hope that answers your question.

PD hasn't sent, but from looking at the match list thread in the other forums, this is what I've pieced together so far:

columbia (research)
hopkins
mcw
mcw (peds)
miami
stony brook
umd x 3
uva
17 more to go...

I wonder how/if the all-in policy affected Michigan. I know historically that Michigan likes to take a handful of residents who convert from other specialties.

Aight, I'll take your word for it. Arch, PGG, please feel free to remove posting if this violates something in your opinion.

Categorical Programs:

George Washington - DC - 1 spot
U Florida COM - 2 spots
LSU SOM - 1 spot
U Maryland Med - 4 spots
Boston Univ - 2 spots
U Mass - 1 spot
U Michigan - Ann Arbor - 4 spots
U Hosps-Columbia-MO - 1 spot
Dartmouth Med - 1 spot
Suny Brooklyn - 8 spots
Stony Brook - 2 spots
Hershey Med - 3 spots
Texas El Paso - 3 spots

Advanced Programs

Harbor-UCLA - 1 spot
U Florida COM - 5 spots
U Kansas SOM - 1 spot
Boston Univ - 1 spot
U Mass - 1 spot
U Hosps-Columbia-MO - 2 spots
Dartmouth Med - 2 spots
UMDNJ-Newark - 1 spot
Hershey Med - 4 spots

BTW, does that GW unfilled spot count? Looks like it was a funded IMG position. Not sure if those should be held in the same regard as the R labeled positions, which I think are for current residents to transfer in immediately as a CA-1. A bunch of programs had R positions go unfilled and they aren't listed as unfilled...

Originally Posted by doctorcase
I am not actually a med school student--I just spend way too much time lurking on SDN. My husband is going to Iowa, which was our top choice. He's a DO, USMLE scores >250.

Is anyone else headed to Iowa City? I'm so excited!

Congratulations to everyone else today. Also, go hug your spouse/significant other. This is a crazy ride for us, too!

Who is your hubby (use initials). I'll be a CA-3, looking forward to meeting you both at the welcome party down the road!

Grant

Hi Grant! BH. Be nice to him! I look forward to meeting you!

Thanks for posting that, but I am actually more curious about the full pdf. I wanted to look at other specialties more than at anesthesiology. Hope that answers your question.

PD hasn't sent, but from looking at the match list thread in the other forums, this is what I've pieced together so far:

columbia (research)
hopkins
mcw
mcw (peds)
miami
stony brook
umd x 3
uva
17 more to go...

My friend from penn matched at Hopkins

I wonder how/if the all-in policy affected Michigan. I know historically that Michigan likes to take a handful of residents who convert from other specialties.

I was thinking the same thing. On interview day, they told us they take transfers from other specialties and there were at least 3 of them at my interview alone.

Nevertheless, it looks like they easily filled those 4 spots.

UF is surprising...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the same thing. On interview day, they told us they take transfers from other specialties and there were at least 3 of them at my interview alone.

Nevertheless, it looks like they easily filled those 4 spots.

UF is surprising...

How do you know they filled them?

Matched at BIDMC! Can't be more thrilled!!!

As a side note...
UF is surprising...

I agree, I liked it a lot when I interviewed there! Not sure what went wrong for them, but I thought it was a great place.

Gainesville seemed pretty boring IMO and despite the rumors that hours are improving, the CA-1s seemed pretty tired. Three of them at my table during lunch said that they had not been home before 6:00 PM after 6 months of CA-1 year! The people were really nice but I can see why they didn't fill.

as a near life-time florida resident, I'm curious why they didnt fill so many of their spots. I'm ms3 that plans on going anesthesia, and Florida, at this point, is near the top of my list.

I've heard about them running residents into the ground in the past, but was under the impression that things were getting better. What other reasons are there for not filing the positions? Could they have been a little too selective about the students they interviewed, then simply couldnt fill the spots with so few interviewees?

I interviewed at UF and absolutely loved the program. Sure, they work longer hours Monday-Fri but they had 3 out of 4 weekends off a month on general anesthesia rotations. The faculty and residents were great.

And no, they do not interview a ton of people. Yes, they interview into February but I was told they interviewed roughly 4-5 applicants per spot. This was drastically different from CCF who interviewed roughly 15 applicants per spot.

I thought it was an awesome place and would have been super excited there.

Forget about Florida, why did Michigan go unfilled?

I interviewed at UF and absolutely loved the program. Sure, they work longer hours Monday-Fri but they had 3 out of 4 weekends off a month on general anesthesia rotations. The faculty and residents were great.

And no, they do not interview a ton of people. Yes, they interview into February but I was told they interviewed roughly 4-5 applicants per spot. This was drastically different from CCF who interviewed roughly 15 applicants per spot.

I thought it was an awesome place and would have been super excited there.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on how many UF interviewed - simply you were told a lie with that 4-5 stat

I was there with a large group (a dozen or maybe slightly more) and they offered lots and lots of dates - math doesn't add up

They both probably went unfilled for the same reason - location - the reason they both dropped on my list...not everyone is willing to live in such tiny college-centric towns

If you look at the 2008-2012 program results, you will find that UF failed to fill last year as well (3 unfilled spots). There was something going on there. I wouldn't put it in the category of chronic unfillers, but still, it is a repeat. Wonder what is going on.
Mich is a surprise. They did have a mini disaster back in 2008 when 7 positions went unfilled. But around that time something funny was going on because in 2007 both MGH and Hopkins went unfilled and in 2006 USCF went unfilled.
http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresults2008-2012.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresults2003-2007.pdf

Matched at UW! Very excited to move to Seattle. But I still haven't heard from the program at all since match day... Hmmm. I know one other person in my situation. Any of you sdn-ers joining us there? Feel free to PM me!

Any thoughts as to why Dartmouth didn't fill? Does the ivy reputation not carry over to the anesthesia program? Interested to hear thoughts from anyone who interviewed there.

Any thoughts as to why Dartmouth didn't fill? Does the ivy reputation not carry over to the anesthesia program? Interested to hear thoughts from anyone who interviewed there.
It's in the middle of nowhere. Also, very cold. Also, the program might have been more concerned about the 'Ivy league' reputation then the candidates themselves and might not have interviewed or ranked enough applicants. I mean, Rochester filled. Lebanon, NH can't be worse than Rochester, NY.

It definitely is worse. Rochester, NY is not NYC but it is a small city that is not too far from some nice big cities (Toronto, Montreal). Lebanon, NH is a couple of blocks big and not near anything. Nice if you like the countryside but definitely not for a city person.

Lebanon is actually closer to Montreal than Rochester and is less than 2 hours to Boston.

I actually really liked Dartmouth. They have a lot of strong research, great regional, great critical care, and a large catchment area, but I ranked it lower bc I really wanted more trauma and more transplants. Def is a strong program that should have filled. I actually loved the area.

I actually really liked Dartmouth. They have a lot of strong research, great regional, great critical care, and a large catchment area, but I ranked it lower bc I really wanted more trauma and more transplants. Def is a strong program that should have filled. I actually loved the area.

Agreed. No question that it is a fantastic program. I really loved Lebanon. That's why I was surprised why it failed to fill.

Agreed. No question that it is a fantastic program. I really loved Lebanon. That's why I was surprised why it failed to fill.

I think this is likely another "all-in" phenomenon. Bigger programs that normally took some number of candidates outside the match couldn't do that this year. Ended up matching students that would have gone to other (their second or third rank) programs had the big program already filled.

Haven't heard back either, but I'm sure they'll inform us soon enough...the earlier the better though so I can start making travel plans.

I still haven't heard so I sent an e-mail today.

I hadn't heard by the end of the business day yesterday, so I sent a brief email telling them how thrilled I was to match with them and my contact info for the next year (prelim is somewhere else).

I got a reply today from the PD, short and sweet, but nice :)

But I did hear from my prelim program like 2 hours after the match, so that was nice!

Matched at UC Irvine (my #1). Love the program!!!

So excited to head back to Cali!!!

My PD and a resident from interview day called me Friday afternoon. It was great!

Regarding Michigan, it appears they did not rank enough people. I matched once spot lower than where I put them on my rank list.

FTFY

Regarding Michigan, it appears they did not rank enough people. I matched one spot lower than where I put them on my rank list.

i had the hardest time reading this.

FTFY

i had the hardest time reading this.

They might have gone un-filled intentionally, i learned from my home dept. chair that a number of anesthesia programs this year used a work around for the "all in" policy this year. There has been a big debate in closing these loop holes but something about it is much easier said then done.

I heard the unfilled Michigan spots were for their advanced CA1s only...so not really unfilled in the traditional sense.

They were in the categorical positions. So you're saying they deliberately did not match those? I don't even know how that would work. They only ranked 20 people and all 20 happened to match?

I think in the past, UMich has been known to only match top-notch applicants. They would only rank the applicants they really liked. They wouldn't rank you if they were only lukewarm about you, because they knew there would be unmatched ortho-to-anesthesia, surgery-to-anesthesia, ENT-to-anesthesia, etc. So they held out for those applicants and then have their choice amongst some of the best students.

However, this year although going unfilled they still got to choose the best applicants in the SOAP which I think is what they really wanted. They'd rather not fully match but get the best than settle for students who didn't have high numbers.

However, another factor might be their rigorous intern year might have kept some applicants from ranking them higher.

I dont think Michigan intentionally did not fill...thought they ranked enough to fill but didnt work out. You can always spin it and say they wanted students with better numbers but I dont think many people actually believe they did not fill intentionally.

no PD would choose to have spots unfilled rather than having them filled, bc who knows what they are gonna get in those applicants through the soap anyway, alot of people that i know who wanted ent/ortho/platics/ , scambled in the past to get a surgery a position not take 2nd career choice. Tons of competitive applicants , that get better and better every year and they prob. just didnt fill because what they had as top ranks used michigan as a lower rank and matched somewhere else. I believe they had resident positions open and categorical positions open. mich. is a good program this happens to programs every year.

no PD would choose to have spots unfilled rather than having them filled, bc who knows what they are gonna get in those applicants through the soap anyway, alot of people that i know who wanted ent/ortho/platics/ , scambled in the past to get a surgery a position not take 2nd career choice. Tons of competitive applicants , that get better and better every year and they prob. just didnt fill because what they had as top ranks used michigan as a lower rank and matched somewhere else. I believe they had resident positions open and categorical positions open. mich. is a good program this happens to programs every year.

I think they only had categoricals open. 20/24.

michigan only had categoricals open - was 4 open slots.