Official 2013 Anesthesiology Match Day Results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no PD would choose to have spots unfilled rather than having them filled.

Traditionally not true. Not sure how the new all in policy will affect program behavior. However, I would rather take my chances filling outside the match than to rank and match a candidate that interviewed and was universally felt to be a bad fit for the program. The rule of thumb for the program is, be careful who you rank at the bottom of your list, because you just might end up with them in your program for the next three or four years.
This explains the above post where someone interviewed at and ranked Michigan and the applicant went further down the list than Michigan, yet Michigan had unfilled positions. That means that the program decided it would be better to have an unfilled position than to rank that candidate. Most programs, in all specialties, I know of have a list of people who interviewed, but did not get ranked. Sometimes a candidate is just not a good fit, for whatever reason.

Members don't see this ad.

no way any program director would want unfilled spots except if they went to unqualified applicants.... ESPECIALLY categorical spots bc those arent for people switching in those are for people going straight in might be able to make the argument that they would hold the advanced ones open...regardless they didnt fill it looks bad on them but they are still a good program... maybe a little better in their eyes than others but regardless still good

no way any program director would want unfilled spots except if they went to unqualified applicants.... ESPECIALLY categorical spots bc those arent for people switching in those are for people going straight in might be able to make the argument that they would hold the advanced ones open...regardless they didnt fill it looks bad on them but they are still a good program... maybe a little better in their eyes than others but regardless still good

I'm going to disagree slightly with this. An unfilled categorical spot this year turns into an R0 spot next year, which they can snag a 260 AOA surgical subspecialty resident who changed their mind after intern year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! Matched to my first choice...St Elizabeths. So happy....:laugh: Prelim Medicine at Berkshire Medical Center!!!

Yeah, you're probably right...programs rank every candidate that interviews...

Yeah, you're probably right...programs rank every candidate that interviews...

That's not what notanerd said. If you re-read what he wrote, it's a qualified statement, and a reasonable one to make.

That's not what notanerd said. If you re-read what he wrote, it's a qualified statement, and a reasonable one to make.

Okay. After re-reading, I guess you are correct. I guess he was saying the same thing I did, but it seemed like they were disagreeing with my post. Maybe I misunderstood...

So, PD's would prefer to fill, but will not rank a candidate that is not a good fit for their program. I would agree with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps they do this every year, but I just got a survey from U. Mich asking what effected my rankings and my opinion on the interview day experience there.

If it's a new thing then maybe they would have rather filled and are re-evaluating their process.

I got one of these from nearly every program I applied to, and I believe my friend said most programs send them out each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got one too...and I've gotten the majority of my surveys after match day. Nothing to get excited about..

I didn't say it was. Since there was so much debate over Michigan's "strategy" with the match I just wondered if anyone else received it. As I said before, all of my surveys came pre-Match Day so this one stood out for that reason as well.

More insult to injury I guess, no survey for me from UMich.

Hey recent grads, I'm a MS1 at a DO school.

I have mostly C's and a few B's and I'm probably ranked in the lower 25% of the class....should I even bother pursuing anesthesia: shadowing, rotating getting LOR...

I had a family emergency this past fall and my grades suffered as a result.

I just don't want to get my hopes up and shoot for something I'm not smart enough for...

Any advice or input?

Hey recent grads, I'm a MS1 at a DO school.

I have mostly C's and a few B's and I'm probably ranked in the lower 25% of the class....should I even bother pursuing anesthesia: shadowing, rotating getting LOR...

I had a family emergency this past fall and my grades suffered as a result.

I just don't want to get my hopes up and shoot for something I'm not smart enough for...

Any advice or input?

As long as you don't fail any course in first two years and do decent on boards and Clinical, you will be fine.

You're an MS1, nothing is closed for you. Do better MS2, do well on the boards, etc, etc. . .
Not true...cross off derm, ophtho, ortho, radiation oncology, plastic surgery to name a few. Mostly C's will make it a challenge to get a spot in other specialties including anesthesiology, radiology, OB/Gyn, emergency med. The poster will need some serious improvement in the second year, a valid story and awesome step scores to be considered seriously. It is getting tougher to find spots if you are bottom of the class. In addition, if you are at a new D.O. school without an established reputation, you will have even more trouble.

It is not the same playing field it was 5 years ago. Same amount of GME positions, yet many more people competing for them as class size expansions mature and new schools appear on the horizon. I heard about many students this year across the country who ended up with no residency position at all. I am afraid that number will increase.

Qualitatively, preclinical grades matter a small amount and step 1 matters a large amount. The exact weight given to each though probably depends on the individual program.

Grades are reflective of how well you mastered the material. At my school (also a DO program) it seemed like 70% of the questions on the exams were very easy and the other 30% difficult. In other words, the exam was designed so that almost everyone passed but few got above a 90 (less headache for the administration this way I would guess). So if you got Cs that probably means that come step 1 time you have a great deal of relearning/catching up to do. "Do well on step 1" is easier said than done. if you want to get a 245+. You need to put in 90th percentile effort. I hope things with your family/friends that hindered your success have normalized. I had a similar situation to this during undergrad. Tried to explain it to the admissions committees expecting some understanding and didn't find much. In the end people don't care about excuses. They want the most assurance that at the end of the day that you will not cause them a blip of hassle while a resident. You're a DO strike 1. You did poorly first year strike 2. Give them something equally attention grabbing but in the positive. Best of Luck!

So what is the match rate for MD and DO applicants applying to anesthesia? Obviously DO is insanely competitive with like a dozen programs and only roughly 25 slots, but there are several MD programs.

So what is the match rate for MD and DO applicants applying to anesthesia? Obviously DO is insanely competitive with like a dozen programs and only roughly 25 slots, but there are several MD programs.

for DO anesthesia, its a "who you know" game. with so few spots, you absolutely must do an away at that institution. comlex and clinical grades matter, but the away is most important.

for MD anesthesia, dont worry about match rates, you're still a MS1. Do well during MS2, and do well on step 1 (aim for 220+). At this point, if you do well on step 1, clinical grades, and get good letters of rec, your probability of matching is about 99% if you apply broadly.

gas just isnt even close to being as competitive as it used to be. there were many unfilled positions last cycle. I, personally, know NUMEROUS DOs that ONLY took comlex, and received 15+ interviews. I know a girl with an average comlex, no usmle, and she interviewed at hopkins.....