KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to go to KCUMB and will be living in the CT, I wanna get to know people before I get there so... my name is Alicia Tanner, Grand Valley State, facebook me, myspace me, e-mail me ( [email protected] ) look forward to meeting everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! That's a good idea Alicia. If anyone wants to facebook me, my full name is Will Ngo. I graduated from UF in 2005 just in case there are multiple people that stole my name!

I am also a first year, but from what I understand during your third year, the hospital you choose and are assigned to will tell you if you have to go to another hospital for certain rotations (they will do this if their own hospital does not have that ward, for example, OB-GYN). For your fourth year, you can arrange rotations with different hospitals on your own.

As for the big city / little town dilemma, each way you have pros and cons. For example, in the bigger cities you will probably see more trauma and maybe a wider variety of illnesses, but will most likely not be working with a dr 1 on 1 (will probably be a group). Smaller towns will allow 1 on 1 with drs, and because of the lower number of students, you will get to do more procedures. They also seem to be more flexible (if you are in one rotation and aren't extra busy, they may let you slip into another ward to see a patient's case you are interested in). However, the wider variety factor may be missing, along with the large amount of trauma (but will see different types of trauma). My suggestion is do what feels right to you. You still have a few years to decide. By that time, you may decide you want to work rural or urban, which will likely sway your decision.

Sorry this was so long!

Congratulations to all of you, I'm sure you will enjoy it here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I have decided that KCUMB is the right place for me...Class 2011 sounds like we should have a great one!:cool:

I have finally made my decision to attend KCUMB. I'm excited about meeting my new classmates. If anyone would like to contact me email me at [email protected] ,or you can find some info about me at http://www.myspace.com/inrussia84.
Also, I'm considering having a roommate and living in the CT, if interested let me know.

I didn't take any pictures when I visited KCUMB. Does anyone have any pictures of the city, campus or the PLAZA (since I didn't have time to visit there)? Please post or PM me any images. Much appreciation!

I heard that ~50% of the KCUMB class is able to stay in Kansas City to complete their rotations. Is the 50% stat accurate?

I heard that ~50% of the KCUMB class is able to stay in Kansas City to complete their rotations. Is the 50% stat accurate?

I don't know if that number is accurate, but I do know that this year, there were over 10 spots left, so chances are that if you want to stay, you probably will be able to.

I cant believe Im posting a reply to a med school class of 2011 thread. THAT MEANS IM GOING TO MED SCHOOL!!! As you can tell, Im still freaking out about it. I got my 1st acceptance (KCUMB actually :D ) back early Oct but I still cant believe it! :eek: Im so friggin excited. I also get waves of "did I pick the right school??" Does anyone else feel that way? I dont want to be seen as ungrateful or disloyal to KCUMB but sometime I wonder...:confused:

So I paid my admissions fee, and Im getting ready to send in my application to CT. All of which makes me really excited cause it just makes everything seem more...I don't know...present I guess.

Anyways, Im kinda into the indoor rockclimbing thing(I suck but its fun). So I guess what Im wondering is if there is anybody else out there who likes to climb? I hear there is a really good climbing gym in the blue river area, and Im lookin for somebody who would like to go climb two to three times a week during school as a way of stress relief and staying in shape?

So I paid my admissions fee, and Im getting ready to send in my application to CT. All of which makes me really excited cause it just makes everything seem more...I don't know...present I guess.

Anyways, Im kinda into the indoor rockclimbing thing(I suck but its fun). So I guess what Im wondering is if there is anybody else out there who likes to climb? I hear there is a really good climbing gym in the blue river area, and Im lookin for somebody who would like to go climb two to three times a week during school as a way of stress relief and staying in shape?

I just paid the big deposit as well. Although I have yet to rock climb, I really want to give it a try! I have done quite a bit of bouldering and mountaineering back in OR, but it has definately been awhile. :thumbup:

Mine just went into the mail today. I really like how they can do the credit card thing now. Looking forward to next year!!!

Mine just went into the mail today. I really like how they can do the credit card thing now. Looking forward to next year!!!

Hey Chaco....I'm from oregon too!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
KCUMB, Here I come! I'll be sending in the check Monday Morning.

I look forward to meeting you all!

Hey Chaco....I'm from oregon too!!!!

We'll have to find some fun things to do in our limited free time! Is the Mountain Wilderness Lakes area that you mention near 4 mile lake off of Hwy 140? That is a great area for backbacking. Hey are you thinking of living in CT?

KCUMB, Here I come! I'll be sending in the check Monday Morning.

I look forward to meeting you all!

PACK!! Im so excited. We're going to be classmates, teehee. I feel like im going to school with a celebrity, lol. I know you spent a lot of time deciding between KCOM and KCUMB. I still have to reaffirm my decision periodically. Congrats tho. It's great going into the holiday season having the assurance of med school and a definite location. :D Happy Holidays everyone!

PACK!! Im so excited. We're going to be classmates, teehee. I feel like im going to school with a celebrity, lol. I know you spent a lot of time deciding between KCOM and KCUMB. I still have to reaffirm my decision periodically. Congrats tho. It's great going into the holiday season having the assurance of med school and a definite location. :D Happy Holidays everyone!

Add me to the list of those accepted to KCUMB! Just got my letter today! Its my first acceptance to any kind of med school so its VERY nice to have :). I'm glad to have it from an institution that seems to put people wherever they wish to go (as long as they work at it! ;)) and doesnt limit people to primary care.

What's up bro? I interviewed with you at KCUMB on 9/11. Got accepted on 9/15 and have decided to come. Look forward to seeing ya'll.

Thank you, YES. I feel really good about my decision and I'm not looking back!

Good Luck to everyone.

Where are people looking to live? I'm looking in the Plaza area.

Hey guys!

Congrats to all of you on your acceptances! I am in my fourth year, I should actually be an intern, but I did the OMM Fellowship, so I am a year behind for graduation. I just finished up doing the interview for residency thing. It is just like interviewing for med school, so yes, you have to go through that whole process again!

Anyway, I just wanted to make myself available to field any questions you may have about school, KC, etc. Please feel free to email me anytime, and I will try to get back with you as soon as I can!

Welcome to a great school!

Chris Morrissey MSIV
[email protected]

Hey guys!

Congrats to all of you on your acceptances! I am in my fourth year, I should actually be an intern, but I did the OMM Fellowship, so I am a year behind for graduation. I just finished up doing the interview for residency thing. It is just like interviewing for med school, so yes, you have to go through that whole process again!

Anyway, I just wanted to make myself available to field any questions you may have about school, KC, etc. Please feel free to email me anytime, and I will try to get back with you as soon as I can!

Welcome to a great school!

Chris Morrissey MSIV
[email protected]

Congrats, Chris.

Where did you do your third and fourth year rotations and where do you hope to do your surgery residency?

Also, how competitive is the OP&P fellowship?

I did my third year rotations in Wichita, KS. My fourth year I have been all over, primarily in Michigan. I am probably going to match at Genesys in Grand Blanc, Michigan for General Surgery.

The OPP fellowship is not very competitive. You will not find many people wanting to spend an extra year, delaying graduation. But it was a great experience and I would do it again in a heart beat!

Again, anyone let me know if you need help! Good luck!

-C

Do any of you fellow KCUMB c/o 2011 folks have kids? I have an almost 2 year old. Holler back at me.

Bump!

Let's talk about housing. Where are people looking to live?

Hi everyone. Sent my deposit to KCUMB last week. I'm looking into living at Century Towers or possibly a condo around the plaza/westport area. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I'm pretty sure I'll be staying at CT. The convenience is too good to pass up.

Har har har har. Patrick Dacquel...facebook me. DO it. No pun intended.

We'll have to find some fun things to do in our limited free time! Is the Mountain Wilderness Lakes area that you mention near 4 mile lake off of Hwy 140? That is a great area for backbacking. Hey are you thinking of living in CT?

Yip, except you turn right past the great meadow instead of left (if you're coming from Medford). As for the CT thing, it doesn't look too bad. I like the fact I won't have to be driving too much, although gas is about 80 cents cheaper...

*spam removed by bananaface*

This is stupid. I don't care what they call me as long as its doctor. I only applied D.O. because thats what i want to be, and I wouldn't want anything else behind my name. If you don't like it go something else and quit trying to ruin it for those of us who are DAMN PROUD to have the opportunity to have D.O. after our names.

Besides, a name change at this point would just cause more confusion for the general public.

back to the prespam post, ct for me :) hopefully with a veiw :oops:) I only have myspace (facebook turned disaster) but please add, as i'm suppa excited to meet some of my 250 classmates!
[email protected]

does anyone know how much a 2 bedroom at CT is?

I will try to dig up the info if someone doesn't beat me to it. It's pricey, like $700 / month or so.

It all matters on what size you choose. I have the smallest 2-bed, and it is 720 a month. They do give you a discount on your second year in the apts. That 720 figure is with the 2nd year discount, so it is a little more than that. Hope this helps a little. Also, it is really nice to have them work with you if you are waiting for your next living expenses check. (For instance, if you don't have the rent for the first of January and you get your check in January, you can wait to pay until you get your check.)

Need a little help. I have an interview at KCUMB coming up and I was curious how long after you had your interview did you hear back from the school? I am expecting to hear back from another school around the time I have my interview, so it would be nice to have 2 schools to pick from. Can I expect to hear back from them within two weeks of my interview? Thanks for the help.

Need a little help. I have an interview at KCUMB coming up and I was curious how long after you had your interview did you hear back from the school? I am expecting to hear back from another school around the time I have my interview, so it would be nice to have 2 schools to pick from. Can I expect to hear back from them within two weeks of my interview? Thanks for the help.
I interviewed on a Thursday, and had my acceptance in my mailbox the following Tuesday. They don't seem to waste time. When you are there, they will tell you when the committee meets. Also, take into account where you live, and the time mail takes to arrive from KC. I live about 150 miles away from KC, so mail travels fast.

Have the others had a similar experience as far as the timeline goes?

I heard back about 10 days after my interview.

Was that around the holiday season, or do you live in Madagascar? :D

I heard almost a month after my interview. I interviewed on 10/9 and didn't hear until the first week of November. The adcom didn't meet until 2-3 weeks after my interview.

So, what else is there to talk about? I'm so excited to attend KCUMB. I feel really good about my choice.

jkhamlin, how long are you going to wait to hear from OSU?

I interviewed on 9/11 and got my acceptance letter on 9/15 and live about 700 miles from KC.

So let's talk money. I've accepted the Navy HPSP scholarship. Is anyone else considering the military, b/c I've heard that KCUMB traditionally has a high number of HPSPers.

I think I just did. They called to confirm that the address they had on file was correct because they were sending me "something by UPS regarding my application."

Congrats, Dude! Good Luck in Tulsa! :luck:

So let's talk money. I've accepted the Navy HPSP scholarship. Is anyone else considering the military, b/c I've heard that KCUMB traditionally has a high number of HPSPers.

I'm thinking about the Air Force HPSP. I'd definitely like to get more info before signing anything though.

I'm thinking about the Air Force HPSP. I'd definitely like to get more info before signing anything though.

I think I've spent more time researching this option than any sane person should. I'm applying for the army HPSP since it appears that they have the greatest opportunity for training in surgery, I don't have to live on a ship for a couple years doing a GMO tour, and won't have to compete with the flyboys for preferential treatment (although I expect none keeping my feet on the ground either). Of course, I know I will be financially behind at the end with my chosen profession, but I want the military experience, and the give something back to the men and women who risk so much more. If anyone is interested in the HPSP or FAP, definitely check out the military medicine threads. There's lots of opinions going either way! If anyone wants to see a contract, an AMEDD recruiter sent me one to preview, I'd be happy to pass it along.

Status
Not open for further replies.