KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a letter from KCUMB today, and the tentative dates for orientation are Aug 6 - 10. White coat ceremony is scheduled for Aug. 9th. Classes begin on Aug. 13th.

Enjoy the next few months. Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Righteous! I guess I should give my 6 month notice ready for my employer.

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup: I got in a couple weeks ago. Just decided to cancel the rest of my interviews and come back home to KC.

Congrats! Great feeling, huh? When are you guys planning on moving to KC? I will probably move in a couple of weeks before school starts to get settled in. What do you guys think of getting something together the week of orientation and going out to eat/drink? Anyone down?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like it'll be KCUMB for me in the fall. Still waiting to hear from a few lingering schools. But, (believe it or not, KCUMB is the cheapest of my remaining few choices- yikes!)

I, like many of you, am awaiting an opportunity to find roomate(s).

I am coming from Seattle, WA. Have a dog (hence my screen name).

I require a back-yarded house, perfect for studying, relaxing, and having friends over (friend for my dog, even better).

Roomates interested in off-time ski trips to CO or NM is also a plus.

Keep it in mind as some type of system to hook up draws near!

excited to meet many of you (there will only be ~280 of us, so we should all be able to meet each other by end of 3rd year).

Congrats on everyone who has been accepted into KCUMB for 2007. I know you will be happy with your decision; I know I still am. My name is Lauren Kent, I am currently a first year at KCUMB, and I live in Century Towers (the apartment building they showed you on your interview day).

I am writing because I am not going to be in KC this summer and am looking to rent out my furnished apartment for summer. This is a perfect short-term deal for anyone doing that summer review course offered by KCUMB (the review I regret not doing) or anyone who wants to test out the waters of living across the street from school. If this is you, I am your new best friend.

My apartment is completely furnished and would love for you to live in it. At CT, all utilities are paid except AC/heat and my rent is $580. If you are at all interested, feel free to email me at [email protected]. Also, I have one or two friends who want you to live in their furnished apartment this summer too. I would appreciate it if you only emailed me with an interest in my apartment because, after all, medical school is as tough as they tell you and I study a lot.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon. Congrats again.

Congrats! Great feeling, huh? When are you guys planning on moving to KC? I will probably move in a couple of weeks before school starts to get settled in. What do you guys think of getting something together the week of orientation and going out to eat/drink? Anyone down?

I'm from Overland Park (about 15-20 min from the school) and my wife and I are actually planning on living over there. So I am out of the roommate hunt. We'll come down in late July.

But I am definately up for something to eat/drink (preferably something to drink). I don't know if you have heard, but both the Plaza and Westport brag some of KC's finest night spots.

Not sure how many of you are into skiing, but it would be cool to plan a class ski trip to CO.

I am in. It's about 10-12 hr drive to beginning of the skiable Rockies.

1 hr flight to Denver from MCI (KC's airport) and another couple hours drive depending on where you want to go. Winter Park and Summit County (Keystone, Copper Mountain, and A-Basin) are good place to start and are relatively close.

I forgot to mention that I am in the Biosciences prgramm with Ryan and will also be joining you all in the class of 2011.

But I am definately up for something to eat/drink (preferably something to drink). I don't know if you have heard, but both the Plaza and Westport brag some of KC's finest night spots.

I drove around Westport when I was at my interview to see what all the fuss was about, and I was really impressed. Seemed like there were a lot of nice restaurants and places to hang out, probably more than we will ever have time to check out.

I am in. It's about 10-12 hr drive to beginning of the skiable Rockies.

1 hr flight to Denver from MCI (KC's airport) and another couple hours drive depending on where you want to go. Winter Park and Summit County (Keystone, Copper Mountain, and A-Basin) are good place to start and are relatively close.

Not sure how pricing would work out, but I know you can get $50-60 one way tickets from KC to Denver on Southwest. Sometimes Southwest even has special deals. But I am probably sure it would just be cheaper to rent a van and have everyone pitch in for the rental and gas. When I was at DMU for my interview, a group of students had just gotten back from Breckenridge. A group of them decided they wanted to go on a ski trip and within a couple of days they had a group of 15 or so that went.

Members don't see this ad :)
so glad that there will be fellow skiers in the class, and that we all have our priorities straight!

Is anyone planning on being a mac user in med school. I am still debating.

I'll be there closer to the end of July and will live in CT; so I should be easy to find! I would love a pre-school social (lol, preferably not one where we act like pre-schoolers:laugh: )

excited to meet many of you (there will only be ~280 of us, so we should all be able to meet each other by end of 3rd year).

*sigh* sad but true. Im not sure whether I should laugh or cry...:confused:

It's nice to have seen this thread take off over the last few days:)

After visiting other schools, is anyone else more excited about going to KCUMB? I know I sure am. There are a few things I wish KCUMB did differently, but nothing worth not attending.

Does anyone know about the roommate list yet?

After visiting other schools, is anyone else more excited about going to KCUMB? I know I sure am. There are a few things I wish KCUMB did differently, but nothing worth not attending.

I visited 6 schools, and this is the one I felt the best about. I'm really excited about starting school in the Fall!

I love that there are three KCUMB class threads that are staying at the top of the list! Let's keep it that way. I'm the same way, the more schools I see the more I get excited about KCUMB. Enjoy the last few months of your free life everyone!

Has any one else bought the book that they would like us to purchase and review before classes start? (Medical Terminology: A Systems Approach) I just bought a used copy on Amazon from a previous edition without the CD for $1. I thought I would check it out and see how useful it is. I might get the newer edition, but doubt there is much else added besides the cd.

http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Termi...dp/0803603940/ref=ed_oe_p/002-4830462-2062443

Has any one else bought the book that they would like us to purchase and review before classes start? (Medical Terminology: A Systems Approach) I just bought a used copy on Amazon from a previous edition without the CD for $1. I thought I would check it out and see how useful it is. I might get the newer edition, but doubt there is much else added besides the cd.

http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Termi...dp/0803603940/ref=ed_oe_p/002-4830462-2062443

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a KCUMB link to the recommendation of this book?

My memory of this recommendation is vague.

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a KCUMB link to the recommendation of this book?

It came with my acceptance letter. I forgot exactly what the sheet said, but it was full of all kinds of info and I think it mentioned that if I wanted to I could talk to a current student if I still was wondering if KCUMB was the school for me. I will check the sheet when I get home today.

On a side note, with this Genesis curriculum how do they make sure that we remember past material? After we go over renal or respirtory, are they done forever? It seems like each core is 6-8 weeks (some being 10), but after that how will you be able to stay on top of the things you learned previously and the stuff you are expected to learn now? I am guessing this responsibility falls back on us?

Hey Pack,
In my acceptance packet which came a week after my acceptance letter, I had a sheet that I had to sign allowing KCUMB to do a credit check. Another sheet was a letter written by Teresa Harter and mentioned Hep-B shots, accomodations for physical disabilities, and computer requirements. At the end they recommended that we purchase the book and study over the summer.

Hey Pack,
In my acceptance packet which came a week after my acceptance letter, I had a sheet that I had to sign allowing KCUMB to do a credit check. Another sheet was a letter written by Teresa Harter and mentioned Hep-B shots, accomodations for physical disabilities, and computer requirements. At the end they recommended that we purchase the book and study over the summer.

Thanks, Future Dr. Cushing. Looks like I can pick it up at Amazon.com for $5.00 including shipping.

When you get the book, can you let us know if you think it is worth it?

Thanks, Future Dr. Cushing. Looks like I can pick it up at Amazon.com for $5.00 including shipping.

I got mine for $4.50 shipped. Shipping was more than the used book. Go figure.

When you get the book, can you let us know if you think it is worth it?

Yeah for sure. Have you had a medical terminology class before? I have just had some intro in my upper level bio classes, so I thought this book would be good to look over before class starts. Not sure I will read the whole thing, but I plan on going through some of it.

The DMU website also has a free short med. terminology class on their website. I think somewhere between doing that and glancing through this book I'll be in a little better shape to get started in August.

I got mine for $4.50 shipped. Shipping was more than the used book. Go figure.

OK, I just ordered mine. $5.48 shipped.

Now, I need to get all of my immunizations and shots done, and find a place to live in KC, and get furniture, and get school supplies, textbooks, etc...oh boy.

Any runners out there who'll be at kcumb in the fall? Some road races in the area would be nice breaks from all our studying!

Any runners out there who'll be at kcumb in the fall? Some road races in the area would be nice breaks from all our studying!

I am sure you will find some runners in your class. As a 4th year I thought I would chime in about the local races. Not sure how far you are going but the KC marathon in the fall has a good half and then there is another good half in Columbia Missouri along with the Rock Bridge Revenge Trail run.

If you are not heading home for break you can always run the Gobbler Grind 1/2 marathon/marathon in Olathe.

In the spring - KC is famous for the trolley run, Lawrence has a 1/2 marathon and the St. Pat's race in Westport is pretty good.

As far as the medical term. book - don't worry about this. ERF (path teacher) will quiz you in path and go over terms with you.

I run. Not as much as I use to. Are there any road bikers out there that might be attending KCUMB? It is easier on your joints. :)

I was a roadbiker until my bike got stolen, but hopefully I'll get a new one before school starts. I'm trying to decide between taking my fishing kayak with me or selling it, any thoughts from people that know the area?

I, too, am a regular runner. I also try to swim regularly. So, I'll be looking for a gym around that has a good pool.

I am sure you will find some runners in your class. As a 4th year I thought I would chime in about the local races. Not sure how far you are going but the KC marathon in the fall has a good half and then there is another good half in Columbia Missouri along with the Rock Bridge Revenge Trail run.

If you are not heading home for break you can always run the Gobbler Grind 1/2 marathon/marathon in Olathe.

In the spring - KC is famous for the trolley run, Lawrence has a 1/2 marathon and the St. Pat's race in Westport is pretty good.

As far as the medical term. book - don't worry about this. ERF (path teacher) will quiz you in path and go over terms with you.

Excellent - the 1/2 marathons sound good and I'm always up for a 5 or 10K which I'd imagine the St. Pat's race and Trolley run might be? Good to know I'll have some choices. Thanks!

I played D-I college basketball from 2002-2005. Is/was anyone else a college athlete?

I played D-I college basketball from 2002-2005. Is/was anyone else a college athlete?

Oh yeah. I'm a huge college athlete...err, I mean...I am a huge collegiate athletics fan! College Sports > Professional Sports.

Unfortunately, KC is a pro sports town, but Lawrence is close and I'm looking forward to some KU basketball and football games.

Where did you play? Ole Miss?

Excellent - the 1/2 marathons sound good and I'm always up for a 5 or 10K which I'd imagine the St. Pat's race and Trolley run might be? Good to know I'll have some choices. Thanks!

I also wanted to mention that there are great trails in the area.
Little Blue in Blue Springs - great chat trail about 14 miles long
Indian Creek - atleast 26 miles long with branches, easy access south in overland park goes all the way through Olathe

Smithville lake up north (about 15 minutes north of northern kc) - has a great asphalt trail system too. This trail runs around to and around the lake. they are adding more on every year right now I think the trail is about 12 miles long. They also have single track dirt trails which are very easy to run and good for a novice mountain biker.

There are other trails and parks but they are much shorter or farther away.
There are a lot of area lakes with trail systems.

check out www.mararunning.org for a race schedule and a ton of info about kc area running
goodluck and have fun.

Packamalayse, I played at Nicholls State Univ. in Thibodaux, LA. I transferred to Ole Miss, played here for a few months, then I decided I just had had enough of basketball. I needed to try to focus all my attention on MCAT/AMCAS/AACOMAS stuff. Pacy, x-country, huh? I don't know how you did it. No glory there, just pain. You gotta be a tough sob to endure that for 4 yrs.

Packamalayse, I played at Nicholls State Univ. in Thibodaux, LA. I transferred to Ole Miss, played here for a few months, then I decided I just had had enough of basketball. I needed to try to focus all my attention on MCAT/AMCAS/AACOMAS stuff. Pacy, x-country, huh? I don't know how you did it. No glory there, just pain. You gotta be a tough sob to endure that for 4 yrs.

Way to go, man.

I played basketball in high school, as well as cross country and track. Running long distance is very satisfying to me.

Can't believe you didn't mention brew to brew. :)

www.mararunning.org

Everyone have fun in KC..

I should rent my house to some students that don't mind a bit of a commute!

Can't believe you didn't mention brew to brew. :)

www.mararunning.org

Everyone have fun in KC..

I should rent my house to some students that don't mind a bit of a commute!
you are right -
Not only did I not mention brew to brew but i didn't mention Hosptial hill which is much more known

In your free time, check out these links of Kansas City. I'm getting excited!

KC 40th Largest City in 2005

Kansas City Craigslist

ExperienceKC.com

VisitKC.com

KCpix.com

Kansas City Star

Kansas City, MO - Wikipedia

KC Ballet

Go Chiefs!

Go Royals!

MLS KC Wizard

Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art

Kemper Museum of Art

KC Country Club Plaza

KCUMB

KCUMB 2005 Matchlist

I got to Kansas City on a Frid'y
By Sattidy I larned a thing or two
For up to then I didn't have an idy
Of whut the modren world was comin' to!
I counted twenty gas buggies goin' by theirsel's
Almost ev'ry time I tuk a walk.
'Nen I put my ear to a Bell Telephone and a strange womern started in to talk!
(Whut next! Yeak whut!)
Whut next?
Ev'rythin's up to date in Kansas City
They've gone about as fur as they c'n go!
They went and built a skyscraper seven stories high,
About as high as a buildin' orta grow.
Ev'rythin's like a dream in Kansas City,
It's better than a magic lantern show!
Y' c'n turn the radiator on whenever you want some heat.
With ev'ry kind o' comfort ev'ry house is all complete.
You c'n walk to privies in the rain and never wet your feet!
They've gone about as fur as they c'n go,
(Yes sir!)
Ev'rythin's up to date in Kansas City
They got a big theayter they call a burlesque.
Fer fifty cents you c'n see a dandy show.
One of the gals was fat and pink and pretty,
As round above as she was round below.
I could swear that she was padded from her shoulder to her heel,
But latter in the second act when she began to peel
She proved that ev'rythin' she had was absolutely real!
She went about as fur as she could go,
(Yes sir!)
She went about as fur as she could go!

- From the musical OKLAHOMA​

I just wanted to let you guys know that I have the 06 match list, so if you would like a copy pm with your email and I'll send it to you. It looks quite impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.