2008-2009 University of Kansas (KU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essay Prompts:
Provide relatively brief (1000 character maximum) answers to the following questions. Use Notepad or other non-formatting text editors if you would like to copy-paste your answers from drafts prepared elsewhere. If you copy-paste more than a 1000 characters into a text box, you will lose your answer when you click the <Save> button. Required fields are marked with an asterisk.*

1. Describe examples of leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time.

2. Describe any of your special interests and how you have developed knowledge in these areas. Give examples of your creativity: the ability to see alternatives; to take diverse perspectives; to develop varied or original ideas; or the willingness to try new things.

3. Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge. Include whether you turned to anyone in facing that challenge, the role that person played, and what you learned about yourself.

4. Explain what you have done to make your community a better place to live. Give examples of specific projects in which you have been involved over time.

5. Describe your experiences facing or witnessing discrimination. Tell how you responded and what you learned from these experiences and how they have prepared you for your future in medicine.

6. If you are not a Kansas resident, what is your specific interest in applying to the University of Kansas School of Medicine?

7. If necessary, update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation time, additions to your extracurricular activities, or other pertinent information.

8. If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.

9. If you are currently enrolled, or plan to be enrolled during the next academic year, in a graduate or professional degree program, please describe your status within the program and your intentions to complete the program. You must also request a letter from your graduate program advisor or from the dean of your professional school. This letter must include acknowledgement of your application to medical school and a description of your status in the program.

10. For Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Please note relevant academic, employment and personal experiences.

11. For Combined MD/PhD Program Applicants: Do you also want to be considered as an "MD-only" applicant?

*12. Have you ever been convicted for violation of a regulation or law relating to controlled substances (answer YES or NO)? If yes, provide appropriate explanation(s), including the date(s) of conviction, case number(s), and the jurisdictional court(s) involved.

*13. Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor felony (answer YES or NO)? If yes, provide appropriate explanation(s), including the date(s) of conviction, case number(s), and the jurisdictional court(s) involved

Members don't see this ad.

KU LOR Requirements:

The Admissions Committee requests evaluative letters from a variety of sources—faculty, employers, supervisors, or other persons who know you well and can be regarded as objective evaluators. The School of Medicine requires a minimum of three letters and has set a maximum of five letters. (We encourage you to have five letters.) If your school prepares a single premedical committee letter, please request two to four letters in addition to that committee letter.

Has anyone submitted this yet? I'm curious how long it takes from when you finalize the secondary to when the webpage says KU "received" it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone submitted this yet? I'm curious how long it takes from when you finalize the secondary to when the webpage says KU "received" it.

yeah, i did. it's really annoying. you actually only have to fill out 2 boxes. all those essays are optional. i suggest you fill them out, tho, so it shows you're interested :thumbup:

it basically took an entire day. btw, do your writing in Word and copy/paste. the website format is terrible and buggy.

it basically took an entire day. btw, do your writing in Word and copy/paste. the website format is terrible and buggy.

Yeah. I found that Safari was much more reliable than Firefox (on a Mac) for their system. I also discovered that the essay boxes would completely freeze if you put more than 1000 characters in them (you can't even scroll/arrow around to delete). So definitely copy/paste is a good way to go.

Yeah. I found that Safari was much more reliable than Firefox (on a Mac) for their system. I also discovered that the essay boxes would completely freeze if you put more than 1000 characters in them (you can't even scroll/arrow around to delete). So definitely copy/paste is a good way to go.

YES, it was like that in IE and mozilla for me. you have to click another link and then return to that essay page in order for it to unfreeze...

it was almost as bad as GW's secondary. I had GW's pdf opened through Mozilla...everytime I would hit backspace to delete something it would set off the "Back" shortcut and go to the previous website. you can't save your answers on GW's, so you have to start all over. grrr...fortunately, i finally outsmarted it and saved it to my comp. that way it only opened through Adobe and nothing else. secondaries are so terrible!!!!!!!

On the residency section does anyone know what qualifies as "permanent" ? should I put my college address?

Did anyone else wonder whether their application was received? On the main website it doesnt say that it received my secondary? Also I was never asked to pay the application fee? Whats going on?

Did anyone else wonder whether their application was received? On the main website it doesnt say that it received my secondary? Also I was never asked to pay the application fee? Whats going on?

Are you a KS resident? No application fee for KS residents. Otherwise, the fee info is listed on the finalization page. I "submitted" a while ago but it hasn't been updated on the main page. But they did update that they received my fee.

Yeah. I e-mailed the admissions office and they actually got back to me! Thats is what they said as well. Thanx for the response!

I was away with the marines for most of june and july, but I got back and finally submitted my AMCAS application. and it was verified and "sent to the medical school". How long does it take to get the secondary application? I have already contacted my letter writers, and they are ready to be sent, but I am still waiting for a secondary application. Thanks for the help!

i submitted my secondary application on 8/22 and sent my letters on 8/25. it shows that the letters are already uploaded on the virtual evals so i guess im just waiting around now for my app status to change.
good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was away with the marines for most of june and july, but I got back and finally submitted my AMCAS application. and it was verified and "sent to the medical school". How long does it take to get the secondary application? I have already contacted my letter writers, and they are ready to be sent, but I am still waiting for a secondary application. Thanks for the help!

it took about 2 weeks for me to receive this secondary after I was verified. im not sure if it varies though..

sorry i forgot to mention this:
you can get started on the secondary essays. there are quite a few of them so that can keep you occupied before you receive it.

Hi,
I have my LORs saved up in interfolio. It looks like KU looks for specific things in the LOR. I am tempted to just send them LORs via iterfolio in stead of requesting new letters to fit the criteria. My professors already have done about three sets of custom-made ones. What's every one doing with these? KU does want the waiver back from the professsors so, I could have them send KU just the waiver...

Forgot to add that this is the most buggy secondary I have seen so far... Lots of problems with saving large amounts of data.:(

Hey everyone, It says that next week they will be contacting us if we get an interview. I was wondering if you all would be interested in posting whether you got one on this page? Thanks

Hey everyone, It says that next week they will be contacting us if we get an interview. I was wondering if you all would be interested in posting whether you got one on this page? Thanks

wow! thats great news. did you call or is up on the website? i cant wait to get an invite.

Hi,
I have my LORs saved up in interfolio. It looks like KU looks for specific things in the LOR. I am tempted to just send them LORs via iterfolio in stead of requesting new letters to fit the criteria. My professors already have done about three sets of custom-made ones. What's every one doing with these? KU does want the waiver back from the professsors so, I could have them send KU just the waiver...

I called KU about the waivers and Interfolio. They said that as long as the Interfolio letters were "confidential," you don't need to use the waiver as well. They just want some assurance either way that the letters were confidential.

wow! thats great news. did you call or is up on the website? i cant wait to get an invite.

I applied EDP and they conveyed this in the email. I suspect it will probably be different for non-EDP applicants, but I'm not really sure. EDP interviews are mid-September, and we're supposed to find out next week if we're invited or if we're moved to regular decision.

Sure! There is an interview invite thread, and I was planning on posting there if I get an invite (fingers crossed). I definitely don't mind posting twice, especially because this thread is a little easier to read. Good luck to everyone--hopefully we all get great news next week!

I applied EDP and they conveyed this in the email. I suspect it will probably be different for non-EDP applicants, but I'm not really sure. EDP interviews are mid-September, and we're supposed to find out next week if we're invited or if we're moved to regular decision.

Thanks, that helps a lot!

Hey guys, I'm currently an M1 at KU, I just wanted to pop in and wish you guys good luck in the app process. KU is an awesome school, the curriculum is amazing and the professors really create a family atmosphere, I am so glad I decided to come here. Feel free to send me a PM for any questions.

Can someone post the link to the interview invite thread? I'm horrible about navigating around SDN so it would be really helpful! Thanks!

Hey! I got an interview invite today for the EDP interviews. I'll be there on the 18th.

got my invite today as well for edp. sept 17

Hey! I got an interview invite today for the EDP interviews. I'll be there on the 18th.

I'm scheduled for the 18th as well. What time are you interviewing at? I'm in Group D and interviewing at 1:30. I'm pumped!

When it asks for our previous career would I just put student since that is what I am at the moment? I'm confused because it says our previous career and unless you count student there isn't one.

When it asks for our previous career would I just put student since that is what I am at the moment? I'm confused because it says our previous career and unless you count student there isn't one.
yeah. thats what i did.

hey everyone. I've met several KU med students recently, so I thought I'd share with you what I've picked up on.

I met 2 M2s last night and went out with them all night. They said a few things that were interesting...

1) SINGLE, female KU med students are supposedly all crazy, psychotic, and high-strung. the "normal ones" tend to be taken, engaged, married, etc. so it looks you'll be dating outside KUMC!

2) the lowest MCAT score they heard of getting into KU is 24.

3) if you are a KS resident and applied early with a 28 MCAT, you have a very good chance of getting in.

my friend applied early and just received an interview invite. he's in-state with a 3.5 and 29 MCAT. what are the rest of you ED ppl's stats like?

Thank you rocketbooster. That gives me a little more confidence :)

I am an in-state resident with a 3.84 GPA and a 30 on the MCAT. I got my interview back on September 2nd. I interview on sep. 16th at

Can anyone tell me what KU screens pre-secondary for OOS applicants? I heard any OOS under 28 or 3.5 GPA is automattically rejected pre-secondary. Is this true?

Last edited:
my advisor said they don't automatically reject, but it's a lot harder to get in out of state

Can anyone tell me what KU screens pre-secondary for OOS applicants? I heard any OOS under 28 or 3.5 GPA is automattically rejected pre-secondary. Is this true?

im saying its not true cuz im OOS and my mcat is a 27 with a 3.85 gpa and i received their secondary app.

According to the MSAR, they screen OOS, but their secondary email invite this year implies that you screen yourself, something like "in the past, we've accepted a very small number of competitive OOS applicants, but we want a diverse class, so if you feel you have something to contribute, then submit your application." I guess the tough screen doesn't happen until until pre-interview....?

I'm OOS and haven't submitted my KU secondary yet. My father lived in Kansas when he first came to the States and went to KU and loved it, so that is one reason among a few others I feel compelled to file a secondary. I'm wondering if I've waited too long at this point, though, especially being OOS. Their questions are pretty thought-provoking!

I'm not sure whether this is true or not, but one of my friends that has a neighbor on KU med's board of admissions said they use a formula for instate applicants to determine whether they will get an interview:

(GPA x 10) + MCAT > 60 and you'll get an interview (obviously the higher the better your odds are but that is what I was told)

According to the stats in MSAR, I assume this could definitely be true.

Hope that helps and good luck to the rest of you!!

okay is it bad that i only have 3 letters? i'm a re-applicant, instate, and honestly the only thing other professors will say about me is that I did well in their classes because I don't know any others well. I have one from my boss, and two from teachers. I know they encourage 5, but more than what I have now seems excessive and useless.

okay is it bad that i only have 3 letters? i'm a re-applicant, instate, and honestly the only thing other professors will say about me is that I did well in their classes because I don't know any others well. I have one from my boss, and two from teachers. I know they encourage 5, but more than what I have now seems excessive and useless.

if the min is 3, then make sure that you have those and that they fulfill the areas which KU describes. there's not really a point in having 2 mediocore ones if you have 3 amazing ones, but if you can get good ones in time then do it.

Okay all you EDP interviewers. . . How did the interview go last week?? Any new thoughts?

Okay all you EDP interviewers. . . How did the interview go last week?? Any new thoughts?

I thought mine went well. As i'm sure you know with KU, first is a 1-1 open file and the second is a 2-1 closed file. I def felt like my first one was easier, and it was really like a conversation. She was asking me questions but it wasn't like she was reading it off of a sheet.
The second was with a Phd and an M-4. That one had a lot more hypotheticals and was more like, We have a list of questions, we're going to ask them to you in this manner.

Either way, I think we're notified next week on wednesday, so until then I get to bust my ass with the 3 tests i have between now and then and pray for good news.

I thought mine went well. As i'm sure you know with KU, first is a 1-1 open file and the second is a 2-1 closed file. I def felt like my first one was easier, and it was really like a conversation. She was asking me questions but it wasn't like she was reading it off of a sheet.
The second was with a Phd and an M-4. That one had a lot more hypotheticals and was more like, We have a list of questions, we're going to ask them to you in this manner.

Either way, I think we're notified next week on wednesday, so until then I get to bust my ass with the 3 tests i have between now and then and pray for good news.

Thanks for the rundown. I hope you get the news you want on Wednesday!!

Woo-hoo! I have an interview scheduled for the 10/16! I was down when I did not get a response for the EDP interview, but now I can't get this smile off my face!

Woo-hoo! I have an interview scheduled for the 10/16! I was down when I did not get a response for the EDP interview, but now I can't get this smile off my face!

Congrats!!!!! it's a hell of a feeling. I'm still nervous as hell for these next few days and am checking my email even more incessantly than i already do. Doesn't help that it gets sent to my phone too either.

But anyway, best of luck here in a few weeks!!

I'm not sure whether this is true or not, but one of my friends that has a neighbor on KU med's board of admissions said they use a formula for instate applicants to determine whether they will get an interview:

(GPA x 10) + MCAT > 60 and you'll get an interview (obviously the higher the better your odds are but that is what I was told)

According to the stats in MSAR, I assume this could definitely be true.

Hope that helps and good luck to the rest of you!!

that could be true, but they also pretty much interview every KS applicant. look it up in MSAR...they interview 3/4 ks residents (EDP and regular decision combined). they interview 1/2 EDP applicants. you probably can't ask for better odds for an interview than that.

okay so for this question:

"If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores."

My grades have gone up significantly from junior year onwards. Should I explain that or explain why I didn't do well freshman/soph years? Should I bother mentioning anything? I also took the MCAT 3 times (3rd time was a charm). Should I explain that? thx

hey everyone. I've met several KU med students recently, so I thought I'd share with you what I've picked up on.

I met 2 M2s last night and went out with them all night. They said a few things that were interesting...

1) SINGLE, female KU med students are supposedly all crazy, psychotic, and high-strung. the "normal ones" tend to be taken, engaged, married, etc. so it looks you'll be dating outside KUMC!

2) the lowest MCAT score they heard of getting into KU is 24.

3) if you are a KS resident and applied early with a 28 MCAT, you have a very good chance of getting in.

my friend applied early and just received an interview invite. he's in-state with a 3.5 and 29 MCAT. what are the rest of you ED ppl's stats like?

I was accepted ED with a 28R and a 3.58. I know that for early the mcat cutoff was a 28, which is what I had been most worried about.

I was accepted ED with a 28R and a 3.58. I know that for early the mcat cutoff was a 28, which is what I had been most worried about.

congratulations! :luck: it must be so nice to be done so early in the application season.
i wish i could get an interview!!

Status
Not open for further replies.