Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still a bit confused. Should I put what I got out the experience like "saw how medicine works in conjunction with other professions" or "Ran tests under the supervision of a lab tech".

If you go with the "ran tests" I'd be specific as to the tests run. I think that you can say what tests you ran and that it gave you a perspective on the roles of other team members in the hospital setting without exceeding the reader's patience.
Also if I was on the deans list do I have to put every semester individually?

Lord, no. List it once and in the free text, list the semesters.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Varsity (baseball)
2. employment,non-clinical (baseball player)
3. Volunteer, non-clinical (coach)

By member of the AMNH do you mean that you paid a membership fee? I'd say that's not something to put on the application. If you were a member of the staff, or did an externship there, that's a different story.

Thank you for the prompt response!

If you go with the "ran tests" I'd be specific as to the tests run. I think that you can say what tests you ran and that it gave you a perspective on the roles of other team members in the hospital setting without exceeding the reader's patience.

I did research for some company and do not think I can go into much detail. Even if I can be brief in the application they will ask in the interview and I will have to say I cannot go into detail. Will this reflect badly? Should I just leave the activity out?

Also I have done two years of hospital volunteering but in different areas, like cardiology, radiology, surgery, etc. Should these be listed independently or as one?

Thanks a lot for your help by the way.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can we list activities in which we received course credit for, for example working on a team engineering project?

Lizzy M,

I am a dual major and one component is in the honors philosophy program. In order to graduate with an honors degree one must complete a senior honors thesis. I've been told that this would count as research, however I would like to apply next spring (spring of junior year) rather than wait a year for the next cycle. If I were to apply next year (given I have a good idea of my topic of choice for the thesis and/or have even gotten a start on it) should I include this or leave it off?

I did research for some company and do not think I can go into much detail. Even if I can be brief in the application they will ask in the interview and I will have to say I cannot go into detail. Will this reflect badly? Should I just leave the activity out?

Can you describe the techniques you used (PCR, Western blot, etc) without giving away trade secrets? What a school might be most interested in would be the skills you've acquired on the job.
Also I have done two years of hospital volunteering but in different areas, like cardiology, radiology, surgery, etc. Should these be listed independently or as one?

Thanks a lot for your help by the way.

List as one, list the areas in the free text section.

Lizzy M,

I am a dual major and one component is in the honors philosophy program. In order to graduate with an honors degree one must complete a senior honors thesis. I've been told that this would count as research, however I would like to apply next spring (spring of junior year) rather than wait a year for the next cycle. If I were to apply next year (given I have a good idea of my topic of choice for the thesis and/or have even gotten a start on it) should I include this or leave it off?

If you will not have done it by the time you apply, leave it off. It gives you something to send to schools later to "up date your file".

BTW, a thesis in philosophy, unless it is applied in a field such as bioethcs, will not be perceived as "research" like a hypothesis driven investigation conducted in the lab (chem/bio/physics) or in the field (as with anthropology & sociology).

I received an AP Scholar with Distinction award from the College Board. Would this be worth mentioning on activities list?

I received an AP Scholar with Distinction award from the College Board. Would this be worth mentioning on activities list?

From the AP website:

"The AP Program offers several AP Scholar Awards to recognize high school students who have demonstrated college-level achievement through AP courses and exams. Although there is no monetary award, in addition to receiving an award certificate, this achievement is acknowledged on any AP Grade Report that is sent to colleges the following fall.

AP Scholar with Distinction
Granted to students who receive an average grade of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 3 or higher on five or more of these exams."

You did well on some exams. Do you think that the adcom would consider this an "honor" of "sigificance"? If so, list it.

Can you describe the techniques you used (PCR, Western blot, etc) without giving away trade secrets? What a school might be most interested in would be the skills you've acquired on the job.

I mostly just ran a machine, nothing like PCR. It was pretty menial and there is not much to say about it. I did collect data, keep a notebook, use excel, etc. I am conflicted because it is my only research experience. Is it better to just leave it out?

Last edited:
I mostly just ran a machine, nothing like PCR. It was pretty menial and there is not much to say about it. I did collect data, keep a notebook, use excel, etc. I am conflicted because it is my only research experience. Is it better to just leave it out?

Better to call it employment and in the text describe that you collected data, kept a notbook and used excel, etc. Adcoms will figure it out. Better to apply with no research than to apply with something that is labelled as research but is really B.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks LizzyM

hey, what if i learned a new skill in college like learning to play the flute because i never did in high school...so i learn for like 3-4 semesters and then tried out for marching band but didnt make it...can i still put down that i learned the flute in preparation to try out for marching band?

i have one slot dedicated for EC that arent related to med so it could go there.

is this good to show that i learned a new skill eventho i wasnt competitive enough for marching band?
how will interviews respond to this?

I did a quick search through this thread about abbreviations and didn't come up with a definitive answer...

Anyway, when I want to talk about ICUs or ER/EDs, should I spell it out or keep it in the abbreviated form?

For instance:

I dispensed medication for the SICU and ED. OR
I dispensed medication for the surgical intensive care unit and emergency department.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I did a quick search through this thread about abbreviations and didn't come up with a definitive answer...

Anyway, when I want to talk about ICUs or ER/EDs, should I spell it out or keep it in the abbreviated form?

For instance:

I dispensed medication for the SICU and ED. OR
I dispensed medication for the surgical intensive care unit and emergency department.

Thanks in advance!

Most adcom members will know what the abbreviations mean but there may be the rare person who does not (e.g. basic science & medical humanities faculty). Abbreviations do seem more informal and therefore les desirable. On the other hand... you do want to keep is short.

thanks LizzyM

hey, what if i learned a new skill in college like learning to play the flute because i never did in high school...so i learn for like 3-4 semesters and then tried out for marching band but didnt make it...can i still put down that i learned the flute in preparation to try out for marching band?

i have one slot dedicated for EC that arent related to med so it could go there.

is this good to show that i learned a new skill eventho i wasnt competitive enough for marching band?
how will interviews respond to this?

Just list flute as a artistic activity or hobby. No need to go negative with a mention of not making marching band. Do you still play?

i can just put down LizzyM that i was preparing for a try out but dont say i didnt make it etc...i dont play at the moment, but it was still something i tried for couple semesters, so it would be good to put down to show i took an interest in music. most undergrads dont pursue it if they hadnt done it earlier in their life.

i can just put down LizzyM that i was preparing for a try out but dont say i didnt make it etc...i dont play at the moment, but it was still something i tried for couple semesters, so it would be good to put down to show i took an interest in music. most undergrads dont pursue it if they hadnt done it earlier in their life.

Did you get credits for music classes. If so, it is already on your application and including it in the experience section adds something but not much if your goal of making the marching band was not acheived. It is as if you didn't really enjoy the flute but were using it as a means to an end. I think that there must be something more interesting to put in that last slot.

Dear LizzyM,
I have a question about AMCAS activity description. I have been doing cancer research for over 2 years, received an undergraduate grant, gave two poster presentations, listed as a second author on two papers pending for publication, and listed as a second author on an abstract received by a national conference. I will also be working in the same lab for one more year during my gap year. Do I have to create separate entries for each of these? Ex.

1. research
2. award (grant)
3. presentation
4. publication
5. employment, clinical

thank you!

If I want to list hobbies such as tennis, basketball, or weightlifting are these good to put or just a waste? Also if I only have 8 or 9 substantial activities is that enough?

LizzyM, no, no credits, i just did it for fun. well i dont have anything else to put down and this is 1 activity thats not premed related

my questions is...will they ask why i stopped? can i just say that im an engr major and had too much work and instrument required too much time to practice? is this good enough?

LizzyM, no, no credits, i just did it for fun. well i dont have anything else to put down and this is 1 activity thats not premed related

my questions is...will they ask why i stopped? can i just say that im an engr major and had too much work and instrument required too much time to practice? is this good enough?

That's cool. Everyone can understand trying something for a year or two and then not having the time to continue. Ask me about my piano lessons.:oops:

If I want to list hobbies such as tennis, basketball, or weightlifting are these good to put or just a waste? Also if I only have 8 or 9 substantial activities is that enough?

8 or 9 substantial activies are just fine.

Listing athletic hobbies is fine. Most people just lump all the activities of that kind together.

Dear LizzyM,
I have a question about AMCAS activity description. I have been doing cancer research for over 2 years, received an undergraduate grant, gave two poster presentations, listed as a second author on two papers pending for publication, and listed as a second author on an abstract received by a national conference. I will also be working in the same lab for one more year during my gap year. Do I have to create separate entries for each of these? Ex.

1. research
2. award (grant)
3. presentation
4. publication
5. employment, clinical

thank you!

You could choose to do so. Or you could collapse and list only those that you want to highlight. Frankly, they are all important and impressive, particularly if you are applying to a research intensive school.

dear LizzyM,
i have one more question. I have been a nationally ranked NCAA varsity athlete for 4 years, chosen as a co-captain, and won several awards. i am thinking of creating 3 following entries:

1. extracurricular (tennis)
2. leadership (co-captain)
3. award (awards that i received individually)

thank you so much!!

I apologize if this has been asked before but I got up to page 11 and I couldn't skim much more:

1. I have been a foster sister for about 7 years and have had over 10 foster children live in my home throughout the years, including a child we adopted that I plan to discuss in my PS. This has been very significant in my life and I have been involved in the foster care system (giving talks to new foster parents). Would it be appropriate to list this on my EC/activity page and if so, under what heading? other? hobby/activity? not sure

2. I am conversational in Spanish ( I can read 100% and can hold a conversation) but I wouldn't consider myself fluent (I have trouble finding words so I'm practicing my speaking skills). Is this worth mentioning in some way, shape or form?

Thanks for any advice Lizzy M or anyone with knowledge about this!

LizzyM (or anyone who can answer this)

I am still a little unsure about how to approach research entries. You previously mentioned to briefly explain hypothesis, results, clinical application/significance. Yet when I did that it came off as something close to an abstract, but very truncated. Is that how it is supposed to be? I find it hard to be both concise and to give the necessary background info to understand the results + the results. Do you have any ideas?

Another quick question!

I volunteered in a school inside of a children's hospital. The school was designed so students could get their medical care, physical therapy, and education all in one place. I helped the teachers, interacted with the students/patients (all with severe disabilities so they required a lot of help) and transported them around the hospital. What would I list this as? volunteer/clinical or volunteer/ non-clinical?

dear LizzyM,
i have one more question. I have been a nationally ranked NCAA varsity athlete for 4 years, chosen as a co-captain, and won several awards. i am thinking of creating 3 following entries:

1. extracurricular (tennis)
2. leadership (co-captain)
3. award (awards that i received individually)

thank you so much!!

Terrific! Collapse 1 & 2 and call it varsity.... You could throw 3 in there too, or give it its own section. I'd say "own section" if the candidates for the award were drawn from schools other than your own (not an award from your school for tennis greatness but from your athletic league or a national pool). E.g. Tennis equivalent of Heisman Trophy, yes... Most improved tennis player at Doublebounce Univeristy, no.

Another quick question!

I volunteered in a school inside of a children's hospital. The school was designed so students could get their medical care, physical therapy, and education all in one place. I helped the teachers, interacted with the students/patients (all with severe disabilities so they required a lot of help) and transported them around the hospital. What would I list this as? volunteer/clinical or volunteer/ non-clinical?

If you were helping with medical care I'd call it volunteer, clinical. If you were helping with education or recreation, I'd go with non-clinical.

As for the other questions:

Spanish. You could list it as a language in which you are fluent. Just learn to say "Como se dice?" as a filler while you try to find a word... it works for me.:oops:

I'd save the foster care thing for the interviews. It is always good to have something to spring on the interviewer that isn't in your application (some will even say, "tell me something that isn't in your application") and you get to control the content of the conversation when you bring up a topic about which you are enthused.

LizzyM;6884201 Spanish. You could list it as a language in which you are fluent. Just learn to say "Como se dice?" as a filler while you try to find a word... it works for me.:o[/QUOTE said:
Thanks. I'm just nervous that I will be asked to do an interview in spanish or something intense like that. I wish I could explain my level so it doesn't look like I'm exaggerating. I've heard horror stories of people claiming to do something or speak a language and then an interviewer totally calling them out about it. If I don't feel comfortable being interviewed in spanish should I leave it out?

I wish spanglish was a language!

Last edited:
dear LizzyM,
im sorry to keep bothering but i have some more question to ask.

1)Under research description, I concentrated more about what I learned/the skills I picked up, the perseverance, and the fact that I taught other new undergrad members in the lab rather than the specific projects I worked on in detail. Is this ok?

2)Under the award description, I wrote about how I won a grant, gave poster presentations, had my name listed on an abstract received at a national meeting and co-authored on two papers pending for publication. is this ok?

3) under paid employment description, I wrote about my job duties and how I wanted to stay involved with research in the same lab during my gap year. is this ok?

4) Under the extracurricular (sport) description, i wrote about team achievements, from being in the bottom of conference to being one of the national powerhouses. is this ok?

5) under leadership description, i wrote about how i was chosen as a co-captain and the leadership skills i developed. is this ok?

6) under award (sport) description, i wrote how i had national rankings and being named scholar athlete. is this ok?

7) under volunteer-non clin description, i wrote how i volunteered as an assistant coach with my sport team during gap year. is this ok?

Thank you soooooooooo much!!!

dear LizzyM,
im sorry to keep bothering but i have some more question to ask.

1)Under research description, I concentrated more about what I learned/the skills I picked up, the perseverance, and the fact that I taught other new undergrad members in the lab rather than the specific projects I worked on in detail. Is this ok?

2)Under the award description, I wrote about how I won a grant, gave poster presentations, had my name listed on an abstract received at a national meeting and co-authored on two papers pending for publication. is this ok?

3) under paid employment description, I wrote about my job duties and how I wanted to stay involved with research in the same lab during my gap year. is this ok?

4) Under the extracurricular (sport) description, i wrote about team achievements, from being in the bottom of conference to being one of the national powerhouses. is this ok?

5) under leadership description, i wrote about how i was chosen as a co-captain and the leadership skills i developed. is this ok?

6) under award (sport) description, i wrote how i had national rankings and being named scholar athlete. is this ok?

7) under volunteer-non clin description, i wrote how i volunteered as an assistant coach with my sport team during gap year. is this ok?

Thank you soooooooooo much!!!

Is this ok?
For your sake, I sure hope so.

i have a quick question: i shadowed a single doctor during college, and only for one day. i found the experience to be very educational, but since it was so brief will it look bad in my work/activities?

i have a quick question: i shadowed a single doctor during college, and only for one day. i found the experience to be very educational, but since it was so brief will it look bad in my work/activities?

I asked this question before also.. and LizzyM thinks it should be included.

Hi, I'm a non-trad working on my AMCAS application, and I'm not sure how to present my most important volunteer experience. During my postbacc program, I worked for 4 semesters (8 hrs/wk, over 400 hours total) as an Academic Associate, which is a special program in the ED of a nearby teaching hospital that trains students to screen and enroll patients in clinical research studies. AAs are located in the ED, and interact extensively with both the doctors (to determine patient eligibility and get data for study forms) and patients (to explain studies and consent them). This program also included 48 hours of shadowing with residents. So I look at it as clinical experience, research experience (helping with clinical research), volunteer experience AND shadowing.

My question is, how do I list this on AMCAS: as one experience with different aspects, or as separate entries? It's practically the only volunteer experience I have, besides my 100 hours as a "regular" volunteer in the same ED, so I feel a little self-conscious that I don't have a lot of things to list. Plus I might well run into character length limitations if I try to describe everything I did on this job.

Any suggestions on how I should handle this? Thanks a lot for any advice.

Hello,

Quick question before I hit submit:

I did a search for this, but its still a little vague.

Would it be necessary to include a one-time scholarship that only paid $100? It seems so insignificant and I feel like it'd be pointless. On the other hand, is it okay to list a "need-based" scholarship? I'm referring to the Gate's Millennium scholarship.

Thanks!

Hello,

Quick question before I hit submit:

I did a search for this, but its still a little vague.

Would it be necessary to include a one-time scholarship that only paid $100? It seems so insignificant and I feel like it'd be pointless. On the other hand, is it okay to list a "need-based" scholarship? I'm referring to the Gate's Millennium scholarship.

Thanks!

$100 scholarship doesn't seem to rise to the level of significance that would make it worthy of a listing.

Need based scholarship doesn't seem to be "worthy" either since it is awarded just for being "needy". However, Gate's name does have some cache....

Hi, I'm a non-trad working on my AMCAS application, and I'm not sure how to present my most important volunteer experience. During my postbacc program, I worked for 4 semesters (8 hrs/wk, over 400 hours total) as an Academic Associate, which is a special program in the ED of a nearby teaching hospital that trains students to screen and enroll patients in clinical research studies. AAs are located in the ED, and interact extensively with both the doctors (to determine patient eligibility and get data for study forms) and patients (to explain studies and consent them). This program also included 48 hours of shadowing with residents. So I look at it as clinical experience, research experience (helping with clinical research), volunteer experience AND shadowing.

My question is, how do I list this on AMCAS: as one experience with different aspects, or as separate entries? It's practically the only volunteer experience I have, besides my 100 hours as a "regular" volunteer in the same ED, so I feel a little self-conscious that I don't have a lot of things to list. Plus I might well run into character length limitations if I try to describe everything I did on this job.

Any suggestions on how I should handle this? Thanks a lot for any advice.

Give yourself one slot for "Volunteer, Clinical" and list your 100 hours in the ED. Research is really important at many schools and having obtained consent etc is significant so I'd recommend calling this other thing research and mention in the text thing that you got to shadow, too, while doing the research.

Give yourself one slot for "Volunteer, Clinical" and list your 100 hours in the ED. Research is really important at many schools and having obtained consent etc is significant so I'd recommend calling this other thing research and mention in the text thing that you got to shadow, too, while doing the research.

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Hi! I'm very grateful for the help that I've been getting from this thread!

I have another question-

When I list shadowing experiences... what heading do I put it under?

I'm debating between "Other" and "Community Service/Volunteering - Medical/Clinical"

Hi! I'm very grateful for the help that I've been getting from this thread!

I have another question-

When I list shadowing experiences... what heading do I put it under?

I'm debating between "Other" and "Community Service/Volunteering - Medical/Clinical"

What service did you provide? to whom did you provide it? If you can answer those questions then you can call it community service/volunteering. Otherwise, "other" might be a better choice.

Should we be putting the total number of hours? read: is it common courtesy? or is the hours/week + time-liines enough?

Should we be putting the total number of hours? read: is it common courtesy? or is the hours/week + time-liines enough?

The fields are "time period" and "hours per week". The adcom members are supposed to know their times tables such that they can figure total time, if they even care. Most of the time we're looking and figuring hours per week in addition to credits earned in school during a given time period to get a feel for how busy a person was. Total number of hours is less informative.

When filling out the description section, is point-form acceptable/recommended/discouraged? Will it look bad if we do not use most of the 1325 character limit?

When filling out the description section, is point-form acceptable/recommended/discouraged? Will it look bad if we do not use most of the 1325 character limit?

It will not look bad if you don't use most of the characters. That limit is a big increase from a couple of years ago and in most instances you should need far less than half of that space.

Bullet points are acceptable. I recommend them because they are easy to read and anything easy to read makes the adcom's work easier.

Hello! It seems to me that I have more and more questions as I prepare to submit.

I noticed from the previous page, a poster asked about listing hobbies. I currently have 14 activities listed. LizzyM indicated that listing hobbies are acceptable. I'm really thinking about doing that since I really want to present another side of myself as an applicant. (In other words: show them that I do have a life and other interests outside of science and medicine).

So to LizzyM and others who want to chime in... Would listing my Hobbies as the 15th activity be overkill or not a bad idea? Like I said before, I really want to show them that I have other interests and letting this "hobby listing" as a potential interview topic?

Hello! It seems to me that I have more and more questions as I prepare to submit.

I noticed from the previous page, a poster asked about listing hobbies. I currently have 14 activities listed. LizzyM indicated that listing hobbies are acceptable. I'm really thinking about doing that since I really want to present another side of myself as an applicant. (In other words: show them that I do have a life and other interests outside of science and medicine).

So to LizzyM and others who want to chime in... Would listing my Hobbies as the 15th activity be overkill or not a bad idea? Like I said before, I really want to show them that I have other interests and letting this "hobby listing" as a potential interview topic?

We adcom members don't count the number of experiences, we just read 'em. If you haven't listed anything that you do for fun or relaxation among the 14, then you really, really need to use #15 for your hobbies. We need to know you as a multi-faceted human being and that last listing will help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.