Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

Started by SailCrazy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've searched the forum and this thread specifically for an answer to this question, but I haven't been able to come across anything.

When an activity is listed as continuing "until present," how long do schools consider that activity to last? Do they just assume it is on going until I tell them otherwise? Is there a cutoff date that goes along with the deadline for the primary application? I'm mostly just wondering how long to keep volunteering at the ER. I've been doing so for more than a year and I'm wondering if I'm running into diminishing marginal returns yet or not. I suppose I could always just stop once I get an acceptance 😛.

Has the ER stopping needing your help? Do you have the time to help? Are you doing it because you want to help, or are you doing it because you have to? If you don't want to do it anymore, quit and when you are interviewed, give the school an update of your experiences and note when you quit each thing that was listed as "to the present".
 
Has the ER stopping needing your help? Do you have the time to help? Are you doing it because you want to help, or are you doing it because you have to? If you don't want to do it anymore, quit and when you are interviewed, give the school an update of your experiences and note when you quit each thing that was listed as "to the present".
The ER could use my help and I do have time, though I certainly wouldn't mind having four hours of my week back. I've loved helping in the ER and working there has gotten me interested in emergency medicine.

However, if schools consider until present activities to end at a certain date, I don't want to continue unnecessarily.
 
The ER could use my help and I do have time, though I certainly wouldn't mind having four hours of my week back. I've loved helping in the ER and working there has gotten me interested in emergency medicine.

However, if schools consider until present activities to end at a certain date, I don't want to continue unnecessarily.

If you are only doing it for the application, quit now and report your stop date to every school along with your reason for quiting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would you guys suggest that I list my new puppy as an activity? I just bought my first pet back in December (he was 7 weeks at the time) and I have been through hell and back raising this little guy. Should I mention that at all? If so, how?
 
Would you guys suggest that I list my new puppy as an activity? I just bought my first pet back in December (he was 7 weeks at the time) and I have been through hell and back raising this little guy. Should I mention that at all? If so, how?

I would say no. It doesn't really say anything about your credentials for being a medical school student or a doctor.
 
Would you guys suggest that I list my new puppy as an activity? I just bought my first pet back in December (he was 7 weeks at the time) and I have been through hell and back raising this little guy. Should I mention that at all? If so, how?

The only way I would include this is if you were to somehow work it into your personal statement. IMHO it just doesn't have enough "street cred" to hold it's own as a stand-alone EC on your application.

Neither does playing basketball, but you're supposed to list your hobbies...

Well playing basketball and owning a puppy are worlds apart as far as "hobbies" go. It would be like adding "getting married" or "owning a house" in your extra-curricular activities - these things are just a part of everyday life whereas playing basketball (or another sport) as a hobby is something that you do for leisure and makes you different.
 
Neither does playing basketball, but you're supposed to list your hobbies...

You can hardly compare a sport or fine arts activity to owning a pet. Owning a pet is akin to having listed that you have a baby in your ECs.

Let's look at this logically. To be good in basketball or any sport or fine arts activity, it requires a lot of practice, practice, practice. If you do such competitively, it requires the same sort of dedication that is needed to stay in medicine. Many can often use sports or dance or things of that nature to draw analogy to the profession of medicine because a lot of qualities needed in medicine are needed in sports i.e. hand eye coordination to perform certain tasks, being able to manage time, being able to work as a team player, being able to know your limitations and know when to try and try harder to reach a goal, being able to put a lot of time and sacrifice into doing what it takes to reach that goal.

That is why basketball or sports are looked upon highly.

Exactly how is owning a dog akin to that??? No offense, but a little common sense goes a long way.

Also, if it isn't listed as something that is in one of those categories listed by AMCAS, it probably isn't something that you should be putting on there.
 
The only way I would include this is if you were to somehow work it into your personal statement. IMHO it just doesn't have enough "street cred" to hold it's own as a stand-alone EC on your application.



Well playing basketball and owning a puppy are worlds apart as far as "hobbies" go. It would be like adding "getting married" or "owning a house" in your extra-curricular activities - these things are just a part of everyday life whereas playing basketball (or another sport) as a hobby is something that you do for leisure and makes you different.

2 quick things:

1. I didn't mean for it to be stand-alone, I was thinking about grouping it under my hobbies EC along with basketball.

2. Taking care of my dog is a leisure activity for me...I don't understand how it doesn't show dedication. It is a lot of work taking them for their shots, grooming them, training classes, walks, etc.
 
2 quick things:

1. I didn't mean for it to be stand-alone, I was thinking about grouping it under my hobbies EC along with basketball.

2. Taking care of my dog is a leisure activity for me...I don't understand how it doesn't show dedication. It is a lot of work taking them for their shots, grooming them, training classes, walks, etc.

Again, so is taking care of children yet who would put that as an EC. Would you put having a pet on a job resume?? Then why would you put it on a medical school application??
 
Are you going to list making your bed and washing the dishes, too? 🙄

A bleak reminder that paying taxes, buying groceries, and dealing with that obnoxious roommate, as time-consuming as they are, are not, in fact ECs. Too bad these things take up so much time.
 
Training dogs for the blind or rescuing dogs and finding new homes for them might be an EC but having a pet-- just part of life.... are you going to list making your bed and washing the dishes, too? 🙄

So, it's been advised that we put things on our application like sports to show that we have outside interests, get stress relief, aren't just all work and no play, etc. In some ways couldn't a pet qualify for this? I know it may seem a little weird, but some people have closer relationships with their pets than other.

I rescued my dog from an animal control facility that was ready to put her down at 6 weeks old (she's 2 now) and flew her 2,000 miles out to where I live. She is a huge part of my life; I run with her in the mornings, take her to dog parks, and I belong to a dog training club where we go for obedience class twice a week. I'm hoping to eventually train her in fly ball or agility and compete, and I'd also like to do therapy dog work with her. Outside of daily feeding and what not, I probably spend at at least 15-20 hours a week on her.

How is it that this isn't an EC, but "basketball" is?
 
if you make closer relationships with animals than people, maybe you should go pre-vet...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, it's been advised that we put things on our application like sports to show that we have outside interests, get stress relief, aren't just all work and no play, etc. In some ways couldn't a pet qualify for this? I know it may seem a little weird, but some people have closer relationships with their pets than other.

I rescued my dog from an animal control facility that was ready to put her down at 6 weeks old (she's 2 now) and flew her 2,000 miles out to where I live. She is a huge part of my life; I run with her in the mornings, take her to dog parks, and I belong to a dog training club where we go for obedience class twice a week. I'm hoping to eventually train her in fly ball or agility and compete, and I'd also like to do therapy dog work with her. Outside of daily feeding and what not, I probably spend at at least 15-20 hours a week on her.

How is it that this isn't an EC, but "basketball" is?

Again, if she is not already trained to do competition stuff or to do pet therapy or the works then it is not something that you put down. If however, she gets trained to do these things after you submit AMCAS and secondaries and you start voluntering in such a capacity, then you can alway update your applications to most schools as long as it is pre-interview.
 
So, it's been advised that we put things on our application like sports to show that we have outside interests, get stress relief, aren't just all work and no play, etc. In some ways couldn't a pet qualify for this? I know it may seem a little weird, but some people have closer relationships with their pets than other.

I rescued my dog from an animal control facility that was ready to put her down at 6 weeks old (she's 2 now) and flew her 2,000 miles out to where I live. She is a huge part of my life; I run with her in the mornings, take her to dog parks, and I belong to a dog training club where we go for obedience class twice a week. I'm hoping to eventually train her in fly ball or agility and compete, and I'd also like to do therapy dog work with her. Outside of daily feeding and what not, I probably spend at at least 15-20 hours a week on her.

How is it that this isn't an EC, but "basketball" is?


Also, LizzyM is an admissions officer so I would listen to her if she says this is something they wouldn't look at.

Secondly, most people list things like Basketball or things if they've payed competitively i.e. intramural sports team, varsity athletics in the school's team, or some other similar capacity. At least that is what i've seen from personal statements I've reviewed in summer 07 and before as well as other people I've talked to.
 
Also, LizzyM is an admissions officer so I would listen to her if she says this is something they wouldn't look at.

Secondly, most people list things like Basketball or things if they've payed competitively i.e. intramural sports team, varsity athletics in the school's team, or some other similar capacity. At least that is what i've seen from personal statements I've reviewed in summer 07 and before as well as other people I've talked to.

Right-o. Counting the owning of a dog as an EC is like calling playing HORSE in your driveway as "basketball".
 
Right-o. Counting the owning of a dog as an EC is like calling playing HORSE in your driveway as "basketball".

That's exactly the distinction I was looking for, because I have seen people put "basketball" and the like down as an EC where all it really did amount to was recreational, weekend-type stuff. So, I was curious to see if more in-depth involvement (i.e. active member of a club, plus involvement in competition, plus volunteer work), but in a less mainstream activity (dogsmanship? 😛) would be acceptable.

Thank you for the clarification.
 
That's exactly the distinction I was looking for, because I have seen people put "basketball" and the like down as an EC where all it really did amount to was recreational, weekend-type stuff. So, I was curious to see if more in-depth involvement (i.e. active member of a club, plus involvement in competition, plus volunteer work), but in a less mainstream activity (dogsmanship? 😛) would be acceptable.

Thank you for the clarification.

Yes. Sorry that was what I was trying to get at before. Putting something you do competitively makes sense or something that works in the sense of meaningful volunteer work i.e. you spend your saturdays dog sitting for an elderly couple a few hours each week and doing things like this would also be ok because it shows volunteerism towards people who might not be able to do these things on their own.

If you end up getting your dog trained to do pet therapy and take him to a hospital or clinic or nursing home where he serves the purpose of pet therapy as one of my colleagues at ACH did, then this would be worthy of putting on there. If you end up getting him to competitively train in this agility thing you were talking about and go ahead and compete, then again it should be something to put on there.

Otherwise, you can just relegate it to listing it as a one line sentence of hobbies in your secondaries if asked what you like to do in your free time.
 
Hi LizzyM,
Is this thread still active? I need your advice.
I presented 4 posters at different conferences/symposiums, I would like to lump them into one entry using bullet points. But I wonder if I could leave in blank the experience and organization name, dates, hrs/week, etc since I would specify them in the description part for each one (it won’t exceed the words limit).

Abstract Ex/ Authors and PI name. Poster title. Presented at (organization name), University name, State, date.

Same for honors and awards, I have 6 that I would like to lump them together but all have different dates, organization name, etc. I have 3 for basic science research, 2 for volunteer and so on (not enough space to enter each of them separately)

Would it be fine? I would greatly appreciate your help, thank you so much
Happy Holidays by the way 🙂
 
Hi LizzyM,
Is this thread still active? I need your advice.
I presented 4 posters at different conferences/symposiums, I would like to lump them into one entry using bullet points. But I wonder if I could leave in blank the experience and organization name, dates, hrs/week, etc since I would specify them in the description part for each one (it won’t exceed the words limit).

Abstract Ex/ Authors and PI name. Poster title. Presented at (organization name), University name, State, date.

Same for honors and awards, I have 6 that I would like to lump them together but all have different dates, organization name, etc. I have 3 for basic science research, 2 for volunteer and so on (not enough space to enter each of them separately)

Would it be fine? I would greatly appreciate your help, thank you so much
Happy Holidays by the way 🙂


I'd advise against that approach. Whittle them down. Most awards and honors are not worth the space... cut them down to one or two (big money awards or nationally recognized honors such as Phi Beta Kappa -- not Dean's List or graduation with high honors). That should make it possible to include all the rest. If not, whittle down the presentations to only the most prestigious (national>regional>local>school specific). You can always include something in the description saying that the research was also presented at the X mtg in city/state, on xx/xx/20xx.
 
LizzyM,
Is it worth listing "Dean's List" awards or should one leave them off AMCAS altogether?

Your gpa is right there on the AMCAS, as well as every grade you ever earned, as well as gpa by year and by category (BPCM, all other, total). It is pretty obvious that you have or haven't done well. Listing Dean's list becomes filler, IMHO.
 
You can have a maximum of 15 entries. Some people lump similar activities together to save space. In my opinion, if the time period was continuous and the activies were similar, it would make sense to lump: e.g. If you worked 10 hours per week for a school year but the first 15 weeks were in the library, the next 10 in the alumni office and the last 15 in the mailroom you could lump it together as "campus employment" 9/07-5/08. If you were employed full time for three summers and didn't work in between, it would be less confusing to give each summer its own slot. (nothing is more disingenuous than writing 6/03-8/07 40 hours per week making it look as if you worked full time while attending school full time-- even if in the text you explain that it was summer only).

Make a list of all your significant activities. If you have less than 15, list everything as is. If you have more than 15 use pruning or lumping (or both) to get your list to 15 items.
Thanks, this is very helpful.
 
Call it "physician shadowing" unless Dr. XXXX is some other kind of doctor.
I "shadowed" in the UK, but it is very different from my experiences here. We went to a lot of talks, almost no patient/clinical. Is this unusual and should this still be listed as shadowing?
 
I'd advise against that approach. Whittle them down. Most awards and honors are not worth the space... cut them down to one or two (big money awards or nationally recognized honors such as Phi Beta Kappa -- not Dean's List or graduation with high honors). That should make it possible to include all the rest. If not, whittle down the presentations to only the most prestigious (national>regional>local>school specific). You can always include something in the description saying that the research was also presented at the X mtg in city/state, on xx/xx/20xx.


Thank you LizzyM for your reply.

Would it be better to lump by research project? Put the award/publication/poster for each project all together. Fill information (i.e. Name, Dates/Hours&#8230😉 about the project, and specify presentation/publication/award dates in the description?

As for awards, each of them don't stand by itself, I mean there is not much to say for description in separate entries, don't even know if worth to mention... :[

Once again, thank you for your advice LizzyM!! 🙂
 
Last edited:
As for awards, each of them don’t stand by itself, I mean there is not much to say for description in separate entries, don't even know if worth to mention... :[

I'm not LizzyM, but I did have a few thoughts specifically about awards that might be worthwhile.

I listed the awards I received along with the activities that led to them -- so, for example, as a music major, I received several departmental awards that were linked to certain successful performances I had -- I listed the performances and the awards together. In my internship with a biotech company, I received an award for my contribution to the company. As a grad student, I was awarded a research assistantship. I think I had about 15 total awards engrained into my work/activities section overall.

If your awards are not really linked to anything in particular that you can list on the work/activities section (like Dean's list, for example), then you might consider lumping them.

Either way, good luck. :luck::luck::luck:
 
I'm not LizzyM, but I did have a few thoughts specifically about awards that might be worthwhile.

I listed the awards I received along with the activities that led to them -- so, for example, as a music major, I received several departmental awards that were linked to certain successful performances I had -- I listed the performances and the awards together. In my internship with a biotech company, I received an award for my contribution to the company. As a grad student, I was awarded a research assistantship. I think I had about 15 total awards engrained into my work/activities section overall.

If your awards are not really linked to anything in particular that you can list on the work/activities section (like Dean's list, for example), then you might consider lumping them.

Either way, good luck. :luck::luck::luck:

pianola has good advice here for dealing with awards.
 
Hey would it be advisable to list scholarships you obtained while entering the university? I received my university's highest scholarship (full-ride, a pretty well-known scholarship, based on merit/leadership/ECs in high school), but I wasn't sure whether or not I should list it in my "Awards/Scholarships" section because I guess I got it while I was applying to college, rather than being IN college... but it DOES show that I've been academically strong and extracurricularly involved consistently since even high school... not sure if that makes a difference.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be better to lump by research project? Put the award/publication/poster for each project all together. Fill information (i.e. Name, Dates/Hours…) about the project, and specify presentation/publication/award dates in the description? As for awards, each of them don’t stand by itself, I mean there is not much to say for description in separate entries, don't even know if worth to mention... :]

I'd split out publications, particularly if they were in "peer reviewed" journals (peer review refers to vetting by other professionals in the field, not other students). You might split out presentations if they were at national meetings or meetings attended in large part by professionals (not meetings specifically for undergrads).

Awards, IMHO, should be folded into the description of the research unless it is a major award that is national or international in scope or carries a substantial monetary award.
 
Thank you so much pianola and LizzyM
The paper is still under review (basic science journal). Can we still include it?
I presented a poster about this project at my school departmental retreat (no award unfortunately) and my postdoc presented (same project) at a national conference and won an award. Can this still be included?
My other posters are from summer research programs (so just student level).
Sorry for keep asking questions. I really appreciate your replies.
 
Thank you so much pianola and LizzyM
The paper is still under review (basic science journal). Can we still include it?
I presented a poster about this project at my school departmental retreat (no award unfortunately) and my postdoc presented (same project) at a national conference and won an award. Can this still be included?
My other posters are from summer research programs (so just student level).
Sorry for keep asking questions. I really appreciate your replies.

Are you applying in Summer '09? Might you have a manuscript acceptance by then?

You can list something as "under review" but it doesn't mean much.

For starters, you will list each research activity. (one listing for each lab you've worked in). In the description you can state that the work was presented at a student research day & give details. Find out if the post-doc's abstract was published and if you are a co-author (often the abstracts are published in a special edition of the organization's journal); you can count published abstracts as publications.
 
I had a question regarding the classification of lab work and publications.

I worked in an international clinic for a summer, and the work led to my name being included on a publication. Should I list the publication and the time I spent (40/hr per week) in the clinic as separate items, classifying the clinic experience as "research/lab"? Or is it preferable to list only the publication and describe my work in the clinic in the description area?

Thanks in advance.
 
I had a question regarding the classification of lab work and publications.

I worked in an international clinic for a summer, and the work led to my name being included on a publication. Should I list the publication and the time I spent (40/hr per week) in the clinic as separate items, classifying the clinic experience as "research/lab"? Or is it preferable to list only the publication and describe my work in the clinic in the description area?

Thanks in advance.

Sometimes we skim and seeing a slot categorized as "research" and another labeled "publication" will make sure that nothing gets overlooked.
 
I have a couple questions...

1) I spend 10-15 hours/week helping a family member with a chronic illness - basic things like providing transportation, grocery shopping, going to medical appointments, doing housework, etc. It doesn't really seem like its an "activity" - its just something you do for family, yet the time commitment is significant.
Should I list this, work it into my PS, or leave it out altogether?

2) I have participated in an organized activity/hobby for 15 years.
I was highly involved in high school (20 hours per week), but my participation was significantly less (3 hours per week, on and off) during my college years.
a) Should my hours per week reflect only my college participation, or an average of the total time period?
b) Should my discription include significant experiences from the past (i.e. assistant teaching position for 2 years during high school) or reflect only recent participation?
​
3) Is working with patients in a psychological setting (residential treatment facilities) considered clinical experience?

Advice about any/all of the above is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
I have a couple questions...

1) I spend 10-15 hours/week helping a family member with a chronic illness - basic things like providing transportation, grocery shopping, going to medical appointments, doing housework, etc. It doesn't really seem like its an "activity" - its just something you do for family, yet the time commitment is significant.
Should I list this, work it into my PS, or leave it out altogether?

I have seen applicants list things like this on the list of experiences, because it is a time consuming activity above and beyond your usual activities of daily living (you wouldn't include grocery shopping for your own household). If it advances the story of your interest and apptitude for medicine then include it in the PS, too.
2) I have participated in an organized activity/hobby for 15 years.
I was highly involved in high school (20 hours per week), but my participation was significantly less (3 hours per week, on and off) during my college years.
a) Should my hours per week reflect only my college participation, or an average of the total time period?
b) Should my discription include significant experiences from the past (i.e. assistant teaching position for 2 years during high school) or reflect only recent participation?

hours per week is for college only. You could list the dates as your college years and write something in the description section about the date in which you started the activity as a child and the maximum hours per week when you were a kid. Or you could put the dates starting 15 years ago (in which case this activitiy is likely to end up being last on the list). In any case, use the hours per week for college only or it will end up looking like all your activities add up to 167 hours per week which seems like too much.
3) Is working with patients in a psychological setting (residential treatment facilities) considered clinical experience?
Are the residents under the care of a physician? That is to say, do they see a physician every 4-6 weeks or more often? If so, I'd say that they are ill and this is a clinical setting. If they are in their usual state of health and receiving custodial care, then, IMO, they are people with special needs and not patients.
 
Sometimes we skim and seeing a slot categorized as "research" and another labeled "publication" will make sure that nothing gets overlooked.

Also, I would like to add that friends of mine who've had publications used the description area just in so far to tell what the citation of the publication was and perhaps whether they were first author, second author, etc. etc.
 
I'd advise against that approach. Whittle them down. Most awards and honors are not worth the space... cut them down to one or two (big money awards or nationally recognized honors such as Phi Beta Kappa -- not Dean's List or graduation with high honors). That should make it possible to include all the rest. If not, whittle down the presentations to only the most prestigious (national>regional>local>school specific). You can always include something in the description saying that the research was also presented at the X mtg in city/state, on xx/xx/20xx.

wait so someone who graduates with highest honors (summa cum laude) should not include that honor in their application? i think that is a pretty big distinction no? are med schools not impressed by that?
 
wait so someone who graduates with highest honors (summa cum laude) should not include that honor in their application? i think that is a pretty big distinction no? are med schools not impressed by that?

You can include it, but it's not going to be impressive. They'll be able to look at your GPA and see if you graduated with high honors.

Personally, I had one activity that I titled "Honors and Awards." I had space to include it, so I just listed it in there with my other honors.
 
wait so someone who graduates with highest honors (summa cum laude) should not include that honor in their application? i think that is a pretty big distinction no? are med schools not impressed by that?

Chad5871 beat me to it. Here's the deal.

If you are summa cum laude, magna cum laude, on the dean's list, these are things that are easily decipherable via your GPA. They see your every grade ever so they can see that you were most likely in this distinctive category and don't need you to point it out.

A true award or sort worth putting is something like Marshall Scholar, Rhodes Scholar, McNair Scholar, Goldwater Scholar, etc.

Things like Goldwater Scholar and Rhodes Scholar honors are some of the most prestigious in terms of medical school applications.

Furthermore, when you are applying to med school, the majority of applicants will have things like summa cum laude and magna cum laude bc face it, the majority of applicants are in the top percentile of graduates. So its not like its distinctive. If you have a high GPA so does a high majority of your competition. Therefore, it doesn't make you stand out to point out that fact just because it may make you stand out amongst your university.
 
My question is regarding classification of activities on the AMCAS. If I enrolled patients for a clinical study but did not participate in the write up of the report, should I classify this experience as research or clinical? The results were summarized in a peer review article- should I list it in the description?

I have another research experience in which I am actually an author on the study, so I was learning toward classifying the enrolling patients experience as clinical.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
 
My question is regarding classification of activities on the AMCAS. If I enrolled patients for a clinical study but did not participate in the write up of the report, should I classify this experience as research or clinical? The results were summarized in a peer review article- should I list it in the description?

I have another research experience in which I am actually an author on the study, so I was learning toward classifying the enrolling patients experience as clinical.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Research has several different classifications on the AMCAS. You can list research as publications, conferences attended/poster presentations, lab/research i.e. the actual work you did, etc.

the lab/research category might fit this one but I'd probably list as clinical volunteerism if it was more direct patient interaction then the actual data collection and research end of things. But that's just me. I don't know what LizzyM would suggest. I suppose it could go either way.

Your other research experience can be listed separately for the publication and for actual lab/research experience of the actual work involved. And then again if you've given a presentation either poster or powerpoint at a conference it may be listed for that as well in a separate category.
 
My question is regarding classification of activities on the AMCAS. If I enrolled patients for a clinical study but did not participate in the write up of the report, should I classify this experience as research or clinical? The results were summarized in a peer review article- should I list it in the description?

I have another research experience in which I am actually an author on the study, so I was learning toward classifying the enrolling patients experience as clinical.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.


You enrolled subjects in a clinical study. They might have been patients, too, but your interaction with them was in their role as research subjects. If you did things like draw blood, collect urine samples, measure and record weight, vital signs, etc, then you could, I think, call it clinical. If you handled paperwork (distributing and collecting questionnaires, etc) then I'd call it volunteer, non-clinical or employment, non-military, depending on whether or not you were paid. If you didn't help devleop the research question, didn't create the questionnaire, analyze the data, etc and if you aren't an author on the paper then I think that calling your involvement in a clinical research study "research" is a stretch (you were just a worker in someone else's study).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You enrolled subjects in a clinical study. They might have been patients, too, but your interaction with them was in their role as research subjects. If you did things like draw blood, collect urine samples, measure and record weight, vital signs, etc, then you could, I think, call it clinical. If you handled paperwork (distributing and collecting questionnaires, etc) then I'd call it volunteer, non-clinical or employment, non-military, depending on whether or not you were paid. If you didn't help devleop the research question, didn't create the questionnaire, analyze the data, etc and if you aren't an author on the paper then I think that calling your involvement in a clinical research study "research" is a stretch (you were just a worker in someone else's study).

Ahh that makes more sense.
 
do you have to talk about what you learned from each experience?

No. You may choose to do so. Or you may do so for some experiences but not others. Some successful applicants describe what they did and other factual information (e.g. that someone else presented the poster on which the applicant was a co-author). Facts followed by a warm fuzzy statement of what was learned (I discovered the joy of giving my time in service of others) can become very tiresome for someone reading a dozen of these each week (and able to interview only 1 or 2 of each dozen).
 
I graduated from college about 6 years ago and am now applying to med school.

For the first few years after college, I held consulting / investment banking jobs for companies that are considered very prestigious. These jobs were hard to get (they would be a big deal if I were applying to business school), but I'm just not sure how to handle them for med school admissions committees. In some ways, it's an impressive part of my resume (at least it used to be) that I got and held these jobs, and I want to make sure admissions committees know that. In other ways, I don't want to highlight them too much for fear of some adcoms having adverse reactions to finance/business stuff. And I'm also not sure how much context to provide about them (and how to phrase it, if necessary)-- will adcoms know what these jobs are, or do I need to point that out/contextualize them somehow, or should I just minimize the experiences altogether?

I'm glad I'm going to med school and getting out of business - but it seems like getting and having those tough jobs should be good for something in this process! Any thoughts?

(I've done lots of medical research, shadowing, community volunteering, etc as well - especially recently - so of course I'll highlight all of that...)

Thanks for any thoughts!
 
I graduated from college about 6 years ago and am now applying to med school.

For the first few years after college, I held consulting / investment banking jobs for companies that are considered very prestigious. These jobs were hard to get (they would be a big deal if I were applying to business school), but I'm just not sure how to handle them for med school admissions committees. In some ways, it's an impressive part of my resume (at least it used to be) that I got and held these jobs, and I want to make sure admissions committees know that. In other ways, I don't want to highlight them too much for fear of some adcoms having adverse reactions to finance/business stuff. And I'm also not sure how much context to provide about them (and how to phrase it, if necessary)-- will adcoms know what these jobs are, or do I need to point that out/contextualize them somehow, or should I just minimize the experiences altogether?

I'm glad I'm going to med school and getting out of business - but it seems like getting and having those tough jobs should be good for something in this process! Any thoughts?

(I've done lots of medical research, shadowing, community volunteering, etc as well - especially recently - so of course I'll highlight all of that...)

Thanks for any thoughts!


Some adcom members may be more astute than you imagine. List the job title, "employment, non-clinical", start & end dates, hours per week, contact person, location, brief description. Put the focus of the description on what you did. Quantify if appropriate (how many millions, billions, etc) If there was business travel, throw that it to show that you've worked with people in different geographic/cultural settings. Some of the things that I think I might find in a successful businessman that would translate well to medicine: Team player, thinks on his feet, willing to take on a massive workload and put in long hours, not looking for glory, wants to make the boss/team look good, sees the big picture, draws on the theoretical and on past experience in dealing with new situations, not easily flustered, outgoing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.