Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

Started by SailCrazy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been reading almost this entire thread for an answer, but I'm afraid my questions are too specific and I need to ask, as well as provide details. I'm currently at 14, and have yet to enter the thesis that occupied my entire final year at school, nor a $2000 fellowship that I was awarded, but had to turn down (ironically, turned down because the fellowship required two additional courses per semester, and I couldn't work it into my pre-med/humanities major courseload). The thesis is listed on my transcript as "independent project," and there's a faculty eval attached to my transcript. However, I went to a school with narrative evals, so there's no credit for the thesis, and since I'm afraid that the thesis eval will be unnoticed in the stack of evals stapled to my transcript, I thought it might be beneficial to highlight it. I have visions of adcoms seeing a Hampshire College transcript and saying, "What the hell is this?" If anyone has some advice, here's what I've got so far:

1) Dance (performance and instruction), lifelong

2) Musical performance: piano and bass guitar, lifelong

3) Red Cross blood drive coordinator, 4+ years

4) Special effects makeup artist for film/theatre, 4+ years

5) Arts writer for college newspaper, 2 years

6) Orientation leader for incoming freshmen, 2 years

7) Server at fine dining establishments (I mostly waited tables throughout college to pay for tuition, but I also had a work-study job at the college rec center, and in my last year, worked at a marketing firm off campus. Would it be best to bundle them under a "college employment" label and list separately in the description?)

8) Shadowing/comfort care with several physicians (Does "comfort care" sound like an appropriate blanket term for holding patients hands during surgical procedures, waiting room escort, assisting with dressings, keeping patients company, conversation, etc.?)

9) Instructor/Residential advisor, Residential director, 3 summers

10) Political/campus activism (I was part of a groundbreaking initiative at my college that set up a relief fund to offset financial aid that some students were set to lose as a result of the Higher Education Act. I was really proud of our efforts, so this one's staying.)

11) Field marketing (Eight months of post-collegiate employment -- basically a bunch of temp gigs for special events/promotions. I did this while I was looking for my dream job, which I found in #13 below. I'd love to cut this out to make room for something more interesting, but don't want a suspicious gap.)

12) Administrative assistant for women's health organization (This was a 4 month temp gig between 11 and 13, and I thought it would be worth it to list separately since it's an organization that promotes women's reproductive rights in 3rd world countries. Should I lump this w/ #11 and break it out separately in the description area?)

13) Project Manager, Product Development (5+ years in career that I left to pursue medicine)

14) Volunteer research assistant in organic chemistry lab (cancer drug synthesis)

As a postbacc who has significant work experience, not only post-undergrad, but working to put myself through school the first time around, it's tough finding a balance between listing activities that demonstrate my interests/accomplishments, minimizing bland jobs I had just to pay the bills, and avoiding any gaps. Thanks in advance, and I've really appreciated all the great AMCAS advice thus far. You guys are fantastic!
javascript:editExp(2122897);
 
I've been reading almost this entire thread for an answer, but I'm afraid my questions are too specific and I need to ask, as well as provide details. I'm currently at 14,
OMG, I thought this said, "I'm currently 14" and I was going to slap you but then I came to my senses.

Ok, moving on.

and have yet to enter the thesis that occupied my entire final year at school,
Academic so it really isn't necessary to include it but let's see if we find room

nor a $2000 fellowship that I was awarded, but had to turn down (ironically, turned down because the fellowship required two additional courses per semester, and I couldn't work it into my pre-med/humanities major courseload).

If you didn't do the fellowship, don't bother listing it.
1) Dance (performance and instruction), lifelong

2) Musical performance: piano and bass guitar, lifelong

Combine these, they are all performing arts
3) Red Cross blood drive coordinator, 4+ years

4) Special effects makeup artist for film/theatre, 4+ years

5) Arts writer for college newspaper, 2 years

6) Orientation leader for incoming freshmen, 2 years

7) Server at fine dining establishments (I mostly waited tables throughout college to pay for tuition, but I also had a work-study job at the college rec center, and in my last year, worked at a marketing firm off campus. Would it be best to bundle them under a "college employment" label and list separately in the description?)

These are ok and you should bundle #7. Or drop 5 & 6 and break out the three things in item 7.
8) Shadowing/comfort care with several physicians (Does "comfort care" sound like an appropriate blanket term for holding patients hands during surgical procedures, waiting room escort, assisting with dressings, keeping patients company, conversation, etc.?)

"comfort care" is medical lingo for end of life care in people who don't want any more "treatment" so I'd steer clear of it. Just go with the category of "Volunteer, clinical" and call yourself patient assistant.

9) Instructor/Residential advisor, Residential director, 3 summers

10) Political/campus activism (I was part of a groundbreaking initiative at my college that set up a relief fund to offset financial aid that some students were set to lose as a result of the Higher Education Act. I was really proud of our efforts, so this one's staying.)

11) Field marketing (Eight months of post-collegiate employment -- basically a bunch of temp gigs for special events/promotions. I did this while I was looking for my dream job, which I found in #13 below. I'd love to cut this out to make room for something more interesting, but don't want a suspicious gap.)

12) Administrative assistant for women's health organization (This was a 4 month temp gig between 11 and 13, and I thought it would be worth it to list separately since it's an organization that promotes women's reproductive rights in 3rd world countries. Should I lump this w/ #11 and break it out separately in the description area?)

13) Project Manager, Product Development (5+ years in career that I left to pursue medicine)

14) Volunteer research assistant in organic chemistry lab (cancer drug synthesis)

As a postbacc who has significant work experience, not only post-undergrad, but working to put myself through school the first time around, it's tough finding a balance between listing activities that demonstrate my interests/accomplishments, minimizing bland jobs I had just to pay the bills, and avoiding any gaps. Thanks in advance, and I've really appreciated all the great AMCAS advice thus far. You guys are fantastic!
javascript:editExp(2122897);

So, you have 14, maybe 13. That's fine. It looks like you've described your post-college employment, included clinical experience, research experience, something you do for fun (performing arts), and you still have a slot left for your thesis.
 
It seems like everyone has so many, but all I did was just list 11 ECs. It took me a min to do it all, but am worried if I should have put 4 more. I wasn't sure what ECs were good, therefore I decided just to put 11.

So basically, 11 ECs is not a prob at all right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, Lizzy! Out of curiosity, have you ever come across a Hampshire College transcript, or an application from a student who went to a school with narrative evaluations? Are they a pain to wade through? I made sure to take off-campus courses to have some grades, but I feel like a lot of the work we do (research papers, independent projects, etc.) aren't immediately evident by looking at the transcript. If I were on an adcom, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to "interpret" the transcript by scanning the evaluations. I'm sure it will make me stand out, but in a good way?

One last question, what category would be right for blood drive coordinator? I handled recruiting, promotions, and helped organize donor day events (was sort of a liason between Red Cross staff and rec center staff to get them what they needed, keep the flow, give people juice/cookies, chill with them if they got dizzy). I'd like to put it as clinical, since I feel like that area is a little light, but if there's a more appropriate category, please advise.
 
Last edited:
I hope this doesn't sound terribly obnoxious. I got married in December. For the nine months before that (while I was in school), I planned my wedding, and I would like to know if that is an acceptable EC. This is something I spent a good 20 hours a week on. It was a big wedding with at least 15 vendors, lots of multi-media, really over the top in a unique way. I managed almost every detail, and every vendor, on my own. It was a ton of work and a big accomplishment, but I feel like it may sound stupid on my app. Thoughts? Thanks.
 
I hope this doesn't sound terribly obnoxious. I got married in December. For the nine months before that (while I was in school), I planned my wedding, and I would like to know if that is an acceptable EC. This is something I spent a good 20 hours a week on. It was a big wedding with at least 15 vendors, lots of multi-media, really over the top in a unique way. I managed almost every detail, and every vendor, on my own. It was a ton of work and a big accomplishment, but I feel like it may sound stupid on my app. Thoughts? Thanks.

Yes, it would sound stupid and the men on the adcom would be 😕😱😴

One of the worst ideas yet.
 
Thanks, Lizzy! Out of curiosity, have you ever come across a Hampshire College transcript, or an application from a student who went to a school with narrative evaluations? Are they a pain to wade through? I made sure to take off-campus courses to have some grades, but I feel like a lot of the work we do (research papers, independent projects, etc.) aren't immediately evident by looking at the transcript. If I were on an adcom, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to "interpret" the transcript by scanning the evaluations. I'm sure it will make me stand out, but in a good way?

I don't recall seeing one. I do recall some school that included all the narratives in the committee packet (because there is no room for them on the AMCAS application itself). I don't remember it being confusing or onerous.
One last question, what category would be right for blood drive coordinator? I handled recruiting, promotions, and helped organize donor day events (was sort of a liason between Red Cross staff and rec center staff to get them what they needed, keep the flow, give people juice/cookies, chill with them if they got dizzy). I'd like to put it as clinical, since I feel like that area is a little light, but if there's a more appropriate category, please advise.


It is a blend of clinical and non-clinical. Frankly, even if you did 8 hours of clinical at a one day drive, aren't drives at least 6-8 weeks apart, if that often? so, if a school had 4 per year that would be 32 hours per year or about 1 hour per week during an academic year. Is that really "significant"?

Blending it with recruiting/promotion and maybe you get to 2 hours per week on average. This isnt going to knock my socks off in terms of clinical -- these are healthy people, not "patients".
 
"comfort care" is medical lingo for end of life care in people who don't want any more "treatment" so I'd steer clear of it. Just go with the category of "Volunteer, clinical" and call yourself patient assistant.
Gah, this is why this thread is wonderful. I was about to use pretty much the exact same phrasing myself.

I have another question. I shadowed my dad (I know, I know...). Well actually he mostly coordinated it for me, he works in the lab so a lot of the time he'd hint to his colleagues "upstairs" that I was around so I could observe them too. In the description I was going to list the different areas I spent time in and the doctors etc. Should I still list my dad as the contact or leave it blank?

edit: Oops, I actually didn't see that thread on the first page about someone in a similar situation as me.

Thanks
 
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, it was more like 30 hours each semester, about 15 hrs/wk for two weeks. The fact that it was an ongoing endeavor reflects an interest and belief in the cause, and since I had to work a lot, there wasn't much time for typical clinical opportunities. If socks aren't falling to the ground as a result of my blood drive work, so be it. I did it because I thought it was a worthwhile cause.
 
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, it was more like 30 hours each semester, about 15 hrs/wk for two weeks. The fact that it was an ongoing endeavor reflects an interest and belief in the cause, and since I had to work a lot, there wasn't much time for typical clinical opportunities. If socks aren't falling to the ground as a result of my blood drive work, so be it. I did it because I thought it was a worthwhile cause.

Sure, it is a worthwhile cause but 30 hours per semester is 2 hours per week over 15 weeks (alhough it was more like 15 hours per week for 2 weeks but you are listing it over two years so you need to divide by the number of weeks in 2 academic years. A clinical (or not-clinical) activity of 2 hours per week for 2 years is nice -- not overwhelmingly fabulous but nice is usually good enough, particularly with all the other interesting activities on your list.
 
Thanks for all the helpful info in this thread. I had a few questions if you have a minute.
1. Do I actually put physical addresses and phone numbers? It seems obvious that they would need these to contact the contact person, but it isn't quite clear where I put them.

2. I have some physician shadowing (morgue/clinic on a reservation) but I didn't do that many hours each week (like 3 for the morgue and like 10 for the clinic) but I feel like they are interesting things and I want to include them. Are the ADCOM's gonna be like "eh, big deal she only did a few hours each week"

3. I was a Peace Corps volunteer and I have a lot to say about it. Is it presumptive to fill the description? I know that you have said keep it short and sweet.

4. I only 6 things, 2 of which are regular jobs (barista, and nanny) 3 are internships (morgue, clinic, psychiatric er) and then Peace Corps. Is this weak?

5. I did a senior thesis. Should this be included?

6. I run as my mind saving leisure activity. I've done a few races, should I include that?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 
Does it matter? I think that it should be the place where you were. It would be odd to list a place name where you've never been. If you get asked about the place, it might be embarrassing or confusing to say, "I've never been to Calcutta."


Far better to split these two. Many times we want to skim the application quickly and jamming a lot into the text section rather than in the assigned places makes reading the application much more difficult. I wouldn't want to see Volunteer, Clinical with no start end date (and no time per week?)


I have a similar situation. I volunteered twice in the same clinical center (once in summer break and once in winter break). Can I list starting date and ending date as May, 2007 to Jan 2008 but note in the title and also description as only during two break periods?
 
Bullet points are acceptable. I recommend them because they are easy to read and anything easy to read makes the adcom's work easier.

LizzyM, I've gotten some conflicting advice on this point. I showed my AMCAS-in-progress to a professional admissions adviser (former adcom at well-known med school). I had the work/activities in resume style (bullet- point-like sentences separated by blank lines, streamlined style with no "I" or "the"), but this adviser told me I should lose the blanks and convert it to narrative style ("I did such and such ..." for each entry).

I was very surprised at this because I'm a non-trad who worked in business for 20 yrs. I was always told that a resume should be streamlined and get to the point, to make things easy on the reader. Since I have many jobs to list along with my ECs, I'm reluctant to burden my readers with too much text.

What do you think? I want to present myself effectively, but not tire anyone out reading my application.
 
LizzyM, I've gotten some conflicting advice on this point. I showed my AMCAS-in-progress to a professional admissions adviser (former adcom at well-known med school). I had the work/activities in resume style (bullet- point-like sentences separated by blank lines, streamlined style with no "I" or "the"), but this adviser told me I should lose the blanks and convert it to narrative style ("I did such and such ..." for each entry).

I was very surprised at this because I'm a non-trad who worked in business for 20 yrs. I was always told that a resume should be streamlined and get to the point, to make things easy on the reader. Since I have many jobs to list along with my ECs, I'm reluctant to burden my readers with too much text.

What do you think? I want to present myself effectively, but not tire anyone out reading my application.

Get used to conflicting opinions... it is said that if you consult 2 cardiologists you'll get three opinions!:laugh:

I'm telling you what I heard at the table last year as other adcom members and I discussed the experience sections of the AMCAS applications we were reviewing. The adcom members at the table last year liked the shorter, bullet point or short sentence descriptions and thought that using the maximum number of characters was overkill in most instances.

Bullet points is a rather new twist and I must say that 5 years ago I never, ever saw them. If the advisor is advising you based on what people do rather than what current adcom members like to see, then you might figure out where the conflict lies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a similar situation. I volunteered twice in the same clinical center (once in summer break and once in winter break). Can I list starting date and ending date as May, 2007 to Jan 2008 but note in the title and also description as only during two break periods?

Except that at first glance it looks like you did something for so many hours per week from May to January . It is only in reading the fine print that one discovers that this is not true. It would be more honest to list only the Jan 08 activity and put in the text that you did the same activity in July 07 as well. Then they see a little and are happy to go further & see more rather than think that you did a lot & then learn the truth.
 
Thanks for all the helpful info in this thread. I had a few questions if you have a minute.
1. Do I actually put physical addresses and phone numbers? It seems obvious that they would need these to contact the contact person, but it isn't quite clear where I put them.

I'm not sure on this one, I think I've seen a field with a phone number but I don't recall. Just fill in the fields requested.

2. I have some physician shadowing (morgue/clinic on a reservation) but I didn't do that many hours each week (like 3 for the morgue and like 10 for the clinic) but I feel like they are interesting things and I want to include them. Are the ADCOM's gonna be like "eh, big deal she only did a few hours each week"

It is hours per week and number of months that help define the duration of the activity. It is what it is and these sound like experiences that are significant to you and that should be included.

3. I was a Peace Corps volunteer and I have a lot to say about it. Is it presumptive to fill the description? I know that you have said keep it short and sweet.

A full time job abroad for 2 years deserves the maximum number of characters, or damn close. This is one instance where short & sweet is not expected.
4. I only 6 things, 2 of which are regular jobs (barista, and nanny) 3 are internships (morgue, clinic, psychiatric er) and then Peace Corps. Is this weak?

Did you do anything in college such as sports, frat, performing arts, journalism, studio arts, ethnic clubs, service clubs, tutoring, volunteer service to the community? It seems a little thin not to have done anything in college.

5. I did a senior thesis. Should this be included?

I've seen it done. It is informative to know about it.
6. I run as my mind saving leisure activity. I've done a few races, should I include that?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes. Include all running from the time you were 2 years old or whenever. If you have only six items, you really need something to show that you are not all work and no play.
 
Hi,

I am missing quite a few contact people for a majority of my activities because a lot of them are student leadership/ in clubs or I have just plain lost the info.

Will this be too big a beal?

Also, some of the student orgs I am involved in are a bit more confusing and I felt like I needed to flesh out details about what the org itself was about before I indicated my role, etc. I did this about 4 times. Is this considered a huge no no?

Any help at all would be appreciated.
 
Thanks for your prompt response its very helpful. I did do some volunteering and tutoring in college so I will include those. I have another question. Would it be helpful to explain in one or two sentences why I did the things I did, or do they just wanna see point by point what I did. For example I did not do much other then observe at the morgue, but the reasons I interned there are directly related to my choice of medicine. Or is that too much like a mini essay and they just wanna see: observed autopsies. assisted medical examiner. period. You know what I mean?
 
Thanks for your prompt response its very helpful. I did do some volunteering and tutoring in college so I will include those. I have another question. Would it be helpful to explain in one or two sentences why I did the things I did, or do they just wanna see point by point what I did. For example I did not do much other then observe at the morgue, but the reasons I interned there are directly related to my choice of medicine. Or is that too much like a mini essay and they just wanna see: observed autopsies. assisted medical examiner. period. You know what I mean?

Just the facts. The extra stuff such as "in an attempt to round out my exposure to medical science and potential careers in the medicine, I ..." is not necessary. Observing autopsies and helping the medical examiner is an unusual activity and one that will get you noticed!
 
Hi,

I am missing quite a few contact people for a majority of my activities because a lot of them are student leadership/ in clubs or I have just plain lost the info.

Will this be too big a beal?

Also, some of the student orgs I am involved in are a bit more confusing and I felt like I needed to flesh out details about what the org itself was about before I indicated my role, etc. I did this about 4 times. Is this considered a huge no no?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Not having contact info for clubs isn't a big deal. Telling something about a club with a cryptic name is ok. If it is something like Habitat for Humanity then there is less need to explain because it is well known.
 
Except that at first glance it looks like you did something for so many hours per week from May to January . It is only in reading the fine print that one discovers that this is not true. It would be more honest to list only the Jan 08 activity and put in the text that you did the same activity in July 07 as well. Then they see a little and are happy to go further & see more rather than think that you did a lot & then learn the truth.
Thank you so much for answering my question promptly. I agree your point that one should avoid to confuse people unless they read the fine prints. But, I am wondering if it will be OK if I write this way:

Experience Name: Clinical Experience during Summer (May-Aug) and Winter (Dec.-Jan) Breaks
Duration: May 2007-Jan 2008

My thought is that one should understand that the activity only happened during the break times in the duration as soon as the title is read.

Am I wrong?
 
Thank you so much for answering my question promptly. I agree your point that one should avoid to confuse people unless they read the fine prints. But, I am wondering if it will be OK if I write this way:

Experience Name: Clinical Experience during Summer (May-Aug) and Winter (Dec.-Jan) Breaks
Duration: May 2007-Jan 2008

My thought is that one should understand that the activity only happened during the break times in the duration as soon as the title is read.

Am I wrong?

The way the information appears on the application, there are specific fields that the adcom member scans: activity type (from a pull down menu), Time frame (start date/end date), and Hours per week. That's the top line and we look at that first. Some readers will drill down to the description of the activity, the job title, contact information, etc. but you are miaking a bad impression on anyone who reads
Volunteer, clinical 5/2007-1/2008 8 hours per week
 
LizzyM:
thanks for all your help. Quick question- I'm a bit older than the average applicant, and I'm married. I can't seem to find a good place in AMCAS to mention that I'm married, yet, I think it's important to know: it's a large part of who I am, and what I can contribute to a med school student community. I'd also like to think it adds to my contribution of diversity.

It seems silly/strange to think of putting it anywhere in the activities list, but surprisingly, nowhere in your biographical info does it ask about a spouse. What do you recommend? Wait and include it somewhere in my secondaries?
 
The way the information appears on the application, there are specific fields that the adcom member scans: activity type (from a pull down menu), Time frame (start date/end date), and Hours per week. That's the top line and we look at that first. Some readers will drill down to the description of the activity, the job title, contact information, etc. but you are miaking a bad impression on anyone who reads
Volunteer, clinical 5/2007-1/2008 8 hours per week

Thank you for your advice. I will do as you suggested for Clinical Experience. But, I have another problem. I did 3 summer internship in one lab. Originally, I combined all together (because I have no enough room for listing three separately) and wrote this way:

Experience Type: *
Research/Lab
Experience Name: *
Three Summer (May – Aug.) Internships at NIH
Start Date*
May
2004
End Date: *
August
2006
Average Hours/Week:
40



Is this OK? Or, should I just do this way:

Experience Type: *
Research/Lab
Experience Name: *
Three Summer Internships at NIH
Start Date*
May
2004
End Date: *
August
2004
Average Hours/Week:
40



By the way, will the adcom member also scan Experience Name in addition to activity type, Time frame, and Hours per week?
 
Thank you for your advice. I will do as you suggested for Clinical Experience. But, I have another problem. I did 3 summer internship in one lab. Originally, I combined all together (because I have no enough room for listing three separately) and wrote this way:

Experience Type: *
Research/Lab
Experience Name: *
Three Summer (May – Aug.) Internships at NIH
Start Date*
May
2004
End Date: *
August
2006
Average Hours/Week:
40



Is this OK? Or, should I just do this way:

Experience Type: *
Research/Lab
Experience Name: *
Three Summer Internships at NIH
Start Date*
May
2004
End Date: *
August
2004
Average Hours/Week:
40



By the way, will the adcom member also scan Experience Name in addition to activity type, Time frame, and Hours per week?

You get 15 slots. You can't spare 3, one for each f/t summer?
 
LizzyM:
thanks for all your help. Quick question- I'm a bit older than the average applicant, and I'm married. I can't seem to find a good place in AMCAS to mention that I'm married, yet, I think it's important to know: it's a large part of who I am, and what I can contribute to a med school student community. I'd also like to think it adds to my contribution of diversity.

It seems silly/strange to think of putting it anywhere in the activities list, but surprisingly, nowhere in your biographical info does it ask about a spouse. What do you recommend? Wait and include it somewhere in my secondaries?

I think that putting marriage on the experience list would be a bit "odd". If it is very important to you, you should have worked it into your personal statement. Marriage, marital status, or wedding might be a good answer to some secondaries. Frankly, it shouldn't be considered a factor that makes you a better candidate for medical school or a career in medicine than another applicant. If you wear a wedding ring then it wil be obvious at interviews although I'd be shocked if anyone were to ask you about it. You could certainly work it into an interview. For example, if you are asked "why this school" you could mention that you and your spouse like the area or have family in the area.
 
You get 15 slots. You can't spare 3, one for each f/t summer?

Dear LizzyM,

I guess that I got your point. It is more important to list activities as one can read and understand quickly than to try to squeeze more information together. I will see what I can delete and then list them separately.

Thank you for your very helpful advice.
 
Hi Lizzy,

I have two academic experiences that I feel like require more info then is in the class list. One is a class that I took at Rockefeller U. and another is an independent study in which I performed a prosection of a cadaver. I was wondering if you think I should just rely on the committee noticing these in my academic record of if I could put them in additionally under work/ec experience?

Thanks!
 
Hi Lizzy,

I have two academic experiences that I feel like require more info then is in the class list. One is a class that I took at Rockefeller U. and another is an independent study in which I performed a prosection of a cadaver. I was wondering if you think I should just rely on the committee noticing these in my academic record of if I could put them in additionally under work/ec experience?

Thanks!

Was the class at Rockefeller a class or did it have a heavy research/lab component? Research done for credit very often gets included in the experience list.... classroom classes, not so much.

The prosection sounds like something that could go into your personal statement or in a secondary essay about a formative experience . If all else fails, discuss it during the interview if you're asked "tell me something about yourself that isn't in your file".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what kind of work experience is worth mentioning on the amcas? my bro is gonna be a junior and he's just wondering...he has had a few summer jobs and wants to know if med schools would even care (just normal jobs here and there..not related to medicine).
 
what kind of work experience is worth mentioning on the amcas? my bro is gonna be a junior and he's just wondering...he has had a few summer jobs and wants to know if med schools would even care (just normal jobs here and there..not related to medicine).
I included my job at blockbuster.
 
So I included a couple of experiences I had toward the end of high school (my senior year) because they had a huge influence on my decision to pursue medicine. But I am not sure if they are appropriate, since they occurred during high school. They were 1.) local and international outreach trips, the local part continued through college. 2.) I spent time my senior year of high school volunteering/observing in an O.R. ~8 hours a week as part of a "senior experience", not continued through college (went away to school, hospital work continued though).
 
what kind of work experience is worth mentioning on the amcas? my bro is gonna be a junior and he's just wondering...he has had a few summer jobs and wants to know if med schools would even care (just normal jobs here and there..not related to medicine).

The adcom may want to know how the applicant spent the summers when not taking classes so any work or travel or volunteer service during the summer should be listed. It is very informative.
 
So I included a couple of experiences I had toward the end of high school (my senior year) because they had a huge influence on my decision to pursue medicine. But I am not sure if they are appropriate, since they occurred during high school. They were 1.) local and international outreach trips, the local part continued through college. 2.) I spent time my senior year of high school volunteering/observing in an O.R. ~8 hours a week as part of a "senior experience", not continued through college (went away to school, hospital work continued though).

What you did in college is enough and is generally all that is expected on the form. If something like the OR observing was very important, you can work it into the personal statement.
 
I filled out all 15, however, after checking my application about 10 times before sending it I found out that once I submitted it the last activity I had revised was messed up. My experience describing shadowing did not show up on the AMCAS app. It still says where I did it and the hours but the description is not there. I called AMCAS and they told me to just write about it in my secondaries or email the schools after secondaries. Is this a big deal or is it ok if I just proceed with their advice?
 
Hi,

I spent last summer studying for the MCAT. It looks like I had a gap there. Will this be a big deal?

This summer I'm working at a Pharmacy store, also, I've been staying at grandparents' house to help take care of my grandma with stroke. Should I mention the later?
 
is it inappropriate to use short hand notations in the description such as:

learned to create SOAP notes and perform dermal ddx on AKs, BCCs, SKs?

or...

to manual BP readings


Or should I write everything out?
 
One more question;

I was a country delegate for Model Arab League (like Model United Nations) at national academic debates - would this be considered leadership, extracurricular, or other?
 
Do I classify the following courses as Other or Education?
Preventive/Care Athletic Injuries
Principles of Coaching

On the transcript, the subject is Physical Education.

I called AMCAS twice, and each service representative gave me a different answer???
 
is it inappropriate to use short hand notations in the description such as:

learned to create SOAP notes and perform dermal ddx on AKs, BCCs, SKs?

or...

to manual BP readings


Or should I write everything out?

Keep in mind that some of the adcom members may be people who are 100% in the lab & classroom teaching histology, anatomy, etc and may not be familiar with some abbrreviations. Also the social science & humanities in medicine types who teach health communications, history of medicine, etc. Writing it out might be better.
 
i'm Not Sure On This One, I Think I've Seen A Field With A Phone Number But I Don't Recall. Just Fill In The Fields Requested.



It Is Hours Per Week And Number Of Months That Help Define The Duration Of The Activity. It Is What It Is And These Sound Like Experiences That Are Significant To You And That Should Be Included.



A Full Time Job Abroad For 2 Years Deserves The Maximum Number Of Characters, Or Damn Close. This Is One Instance Where Short & Sweet Is Not Expected.


Did You Do Anything In College Such As Sports, Frat, Performing Arts, Journalism, Studio Arts, Ethnic Clubs, Service Clubs, Tutoring, Volunteer Service To The Community? It Seems A Little Thin Not To Have Done Anything In College.



I've Seen It Done. It Is Informative To Know About It.


Yes. Include All Running From The Time You Were 2 Years Old Or Whenever. If You Have Only Six Items, You Really Need Something To Show That You Are Not All Work And No Play.

I have been reading your reply’s for a couple of days and I have a question. I am a nontraditional student and will be applying this year, but I'm not sure what is important to include of the 15 activities. If you don't mind looking them over, I will list what I have done since I graduated high school and maybe you could help me select which ones are most important and what I can group together to fit all the information in.

Chronological order:

When I turned 16 I worked for grandfathers trucking company as a mechanic (ave 4-5hrs wk on weekends) and started a job at a grocery store (ave 20-30hrs wk).
Played football, baseball, basketball, and track in HS.

When I graduated at 18 I quit at the grocery store for a full time position as a material/tool delivery driver for a large commercial/industrial electrical contracting company. I still worked at the trucking company on the weekends.

After 1 year I took the admissions exam for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers apprenticeship program and was accepted. It was a 5 year program that includes full time employment and classes through the Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee 2 days a week 4 hours each day for 5 years. I also participated in building a Habitat for Humanity house. In my free time during the apprenticeship, I built and raced an ATV on the AMA district 17 motorcross circuit. Racing almost every weekend Mar-Nov.

At the beginning of the 5th year I started evening classes at a community college and when I graduated from the apprenticeship, I quit working as an electrician to attend the community college full time. I set up my classes so I could work full time as a metal fabricator/welder at a canvas awning company. I stopped racing in the AMA when my insurance ran out from the electrical company. Can't be paying out of pocket for a broken leg!!

When I finished at the community college, I continued college at a private liberal arts college full time. Due to the schedule I had to leave my position at the awning company and instead took the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America's personal fitness trainer course (24 hours over a weekend) and accepted a position at a local health club for 1.5 years then moved on to the YMCA.

During college I volunteered for Relay for Life (2yrs ago-present) on a team named after my aunt who died of squamous cell carcinoma at 50, and volunteered at my church (1yr ago-present). I also did an internship at the local hospital (2yrs ago-present) where I used part of the information gathered during patient visits/surgeries/procedures to fulfil requirements for an internship class.

During college I received a federal SMART grant ($8000)and PTK scholarship ($30,000) for academics. I also presented at a local hospital about the effects of exercise and diet on bone density to the healthy women’s association as well as my college honors project at the 100th annual Illinois State Academy of Science convention. My project was the design and production of a orthopedic surgical instrument that is for the mini total knee replacement surgery. After my honors defense the school decided to patent the instrument in my name. It is currently in production and patent pending.

I am not sure if I should mention the sponsored talks (~10) I have been to about various medical issues or that I have been running/cycling/weights consistently since I was 16 and am CPR certified. I was also a TA for the intro biology sequence and physiology but I don't know if I should include that either.

There is too much here and I just don't know what is good and what isn't. I need some help.

Sorry for the long post😳
 
which types of activities are supposed to be grouped together? like i know its typical to list shadowing experiences together, but what about research, pubs, clubs, work experience, etc?
 
which types of activities are supposed to be grouped together? like i know its typical to list shadowing experiences together, but what about research, pubs, clubs, work experience, etc?

On AMCAS there are tabs for diff. kinds of activities. Publications have their own tab, research lab experience has its own tab, conferences attended/poster presentations have a tab.

Clubs can go in extracurriculars not listed elsewhere.

Work experience has its own tabs--1 for military work and another for non military work

shadowing is listed under other

Vol. is divided into medical vol. and non medical vol. This should all be in the AAMC AMCAS guidelines i'm sure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yea but should you group all research into one entry, all shadowing into one entry, all work experience into one, etc. if you have more than one experience of each type (eg having three separate research experiences, should they be one entry or three separate ones)?

or maybe i have the format down wrong? i just thought it was 15 entries max and you list the type, hours, date, etc.

were you saying to just put ALL experiences of the same type under the appropriate tab?
 
Last edited:
yea but should you group all research into one entry, all shadowing into one entry, all work experience into one, etc. if you have more than one experience of each type (eg having three separate research experiences, should they be one entry or three separate ones)?

or maybe i have the format down wrong? i just thought it was 15 entries max and you list the type, hours, date, etc.

were you saying to just put ALL experiences of the same type under the appropriate tab?

You can have a maximum of 15 entries. Some people lump similar activities together to save space. In my opinion, if the time period was continuous and the activies were similar, it would make sense to lump: e.g. If you worked 10 hours per week for a school year but the first 15 weeks were in the library, the next 10 in the alumni office and the last 15 in the mailroom you could lump it together as "campus employment" 9/07-5/08. If you were employed full time for three summers and didn't work in between, it would be less confusing to give each summer its own slot. (nothing is more disingenuous than writing 6/03-8/07 40 hours per week making it look as if you worked full time while attending school full time-- even if in the text you explain that it was summer only).

Make a list of all your significant activities. If you have less than 15, list everything as is. If you have more than 15 use pruning or lumping (or both) to get your list to 15 items.
 
Last edited:
I searched this thread and couldn't find an answer, but what do you put as Experience name for a shadowing experience? Do you just write in "Shadowed Dr. XXXX"?
 
I've searched the forum and this thread specifically for an answer to this question, but I haven't been able to come across anything.

When an activity is listed as continuing "until present," how long do schools consider that activity to last? Do they just assume it is on going until I tell them otherwise? Is there a cutoff date that goes along with the deadline for the primary application? I'm mostly just wondering how long to keep volunteering at the ER. I've been doing so for more than a year and I'm wondering if I'm running into diminishing marginal returns yet or not. I suppose I could always just stop once I get an acceptance 😛.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.