Infectious Disease Fellowship Application Thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody,
It seems like i have finally decided to go for Infectious disease as a career. Had been in hospitalist practice in a small hopsital for three years. Finished residency in 2005.
Have arranged for LOR's and am currently on H1-B.
I will really appreciate if someone can comment on the following questions .

1. Does anyone know the programs which accepts H-1B aplicant. We probbably can come up with a list if we add.
The ones that i know are :
Yale ( Clinical track)
Henry Ford( MI)
2. The programs which offer a two year track.
3. I dont have too much interms of research and publications as i had planned to take primary care as a career but since i changed my mind , any suggestions which programs are not as competetive and will accomodate people in my situation.
Getting rusty, still have to write PS and upload the documents . . . .

Hey there ag, glad to hear you're pursuing ID. Here are a couple links that might help answer some questions - FREIDA and IDSA's fellowship info. They don't specifically address VISA stuff, but FREIDA gives email and telephone numbers of their PD's and coordinator's so you can call and find out. Also, I know that program websites often have VISA info as well. FREIDA and IDSA will tell you about how many residents they accept a year as well as how long the training is (2-3 years). I would recommend you get your info into ERAS asap, as I have heard from other residents that some programs stop accepting applications after only a couple weeks. Good luck!

http://www0.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/pgmrslt/1,1239,,00.html (FREIDA)
http://www.idsociety.org/Content.aspx?id=6146 (IDSA)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks El, I am planning to finish it up by the end of this week.
Lets see what happens . I have about 15 programs that will accept H-1B , Still waiting to hear from about 30 more . Will put up a list which hospitals accept H-1B once i complete the investigation/research.
Lots of luck to you too, You seem to be doing residency ?

Thanks El, I am planning to finish it up by the end of this week.
Lets see what happens . I have about 15 programs that will accept H-1B , Still waiting to hear from about 30 more . Will put up a list which hospitals accept H-1B once i complete the investigation/research.
Lots of luck to you too, You seem to be doing residency ?

Yeah, 2nd year resident. Will probably have to change my screenname in another year or so, huh? Where are you looking at applying? I'm firmly tied to the midwest:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anywhere i can get it dude. We IMGs with visas are not chosers.
Good luck

Anywhere i can get it dude. We IMGs with visas are not chosers.
Good luck

I'll go anywhere I can as well. Am a DO, but don't think I have nearly the hassles FMG's do. Hope you get a lot of interviews ag:)

Anyone got interviews or rejection so far? I guess it is a little early.. I think they start responding around Jan-Feb 09.

I have not completed a list of IMG friendly hospitals for ID fellowship.
I will post it as soon i finish applying to those.
No interviews or rejections yet . I guess they start in Jan - Feb.
Good Luck to all.

Congrats. I received an invite from Vandy as well. Also U of Minnesota and Creighton. Exciting times!

Hi guys.
Got a regret from UNC- apparently they do not sponsor visas.
First invitation today from UTMB.
No news so far from the others.
How good is U Minnesota??

Also does the language on the letter mean anything?? Mine reads: " impressive application". Is that usual language, or am I reading too much into it??http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=244488&page=4

Last edited:
Just sent my application in 12/1/08, still incomplete, awaiting 2 LORS
2 invites so far. Univ of VA-charlottesville(last week) and UT houston(today).
Good luck all. Let's keep this thread alive.

Dia

Hi guys.
Got a regret from UNC- apparently they do not sponsor visas.
First invitation today from UTMB.
No news so far from the others.
How good is U Minnesota??

Also does the language on the letter mean anything?? Mine reads: " impressive application". Is that usual language, or am I reading too much into it??

U of M (Minnesota) has an avg size program I think (3 fellows/year), but does have a lot of research and grant opportunities. Training is 2-3 years depending on interests. Most of their fellows are from U of M, so that tells me it must be good. Their VA is a regional VA referal center, and they have public (Henepin County) and private hospitals as well to rotate through. No shortage of HIV or rare diseases, as Minneapolis/St. Paul is a pretty big area, and Minnesota has a large immigrant population. If you don't mind the mid-west and cold weather, I would definately consider it. Also, no other ID programs in town to compete with (but Mayo is an hour away). They have a very good website that will tell you more than I can.

Congrats on the invite. It's like Christmas when they send those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got 2 interview calls from UT Houston and U of Colorado Denver. How are the programs?

I also got invites to Case and Colorado yesterday. Colorado tempted me for residency. Pros seem to be a new hospital in Aurora and a diversity of population settings through the different hospitals. Not sure how much uncontrolled HIV or TB you see there.

Good show folks... looks like it is getting to be interesting.
Still waiting for invites- do they always send rejections?
Also, when is it the best time to interview? Some of my friends tell me that mid season is ideal..... comments??

Good show folks... looks like it is getting to be interesting.
Still waiting for invites- do they always send rejections?
Also, when is it the best time to interview? Some of my friends tell me that mid season is ideal..... comments??

Hey there. It seems that some places interview earlier than others, and some later, so I think it will just depend on what works for you and the program. One place gave me two dates to pick from, so not a lot of leeway. I'd prefer interviewing earlier just to get it over with, but most people would say interviewing later is better. Either way, it was easier to get away to interview in med school, for sure.

Exciting to see some with more than one interviews already.

To how many programs do you guys apply?

Is 20-30 programs a good number?

If a program requires 3 LORs and I had 4 sent in, but only 3 have been uploaded will the program look at my application? or will the application appear incomplete in their computer system and thus not be looked at until the 4th letter arrives. If that makes any sense! Thanks.

Exciting to see some with more than one interviews already.

To how many programs do you guys apply?

Is 20-30 programs a good number?

Good question.
I had applied initially to 21.... and after coming under fire :slap:for the same from some of my colleagues, increased to 30. Personally, I do not think it makes sense pitching for more. I feel it is important to assess if the program applied to is what you are looking for. I know we cant always be so choosy, but thats just my 2 cents!

Again, thanks elresidante..... UTMB mailed me saying they interview anywhere from Jan 12 to May 27, and a monday is preferable for them- essentially I have to choose the date. I was expecting them to give me a set of days and to narrow it from there- this was a curve ball:caution: and I am just wondering if I should do this is april, as I have vacation time them. One colleague said thats too late... my gut feeling is to finish in Jan, but the argument is that they are likely to forget you by the time the season is over. Well lemme see what I hear from the other places and then plan.... if I can combine this with something else, at least I can save on cost.

Last edited:
ok
so invites from Univ of MD, UVa charlottesville, UT houston, EVMS, UCLA.
Birmingham says still waiting for 3rd LOR.

Big no from NIH. LOL

Can anyone please post a list H1b friendly programs, cause some programs dont look at your application if ur on H1b
thanks

Invites so far (in order of invitation):

UCSD
Vanderbilt
NIH
Colorado
UCLA - Jan 5
Stanford - Jan 8
OHSU - Jan 8

Drexel yesterday and UAB today....
Regrets from UT southwest, Vanderbilt and UNC so far

Last edited:
Sorry for repeating my Q again but does anyone know, if i have 3 out of 4 LORs available will programs look at my application, knowing that most require 3 LORs or will it automatically be ignored until all my stuff is in?

Sorry for repeating my Q again but does anyone know, if i have 3 out of 4 LORs available will programs look at my application, knowing that most require 3 LORs or will it automatically be ignored until all my stuff is in?

I think you'll be good with three letters. They won't wait until the fourth is in to review your application.

I think you'll be good with three letters. They won't wait until the fourth is in to review your application.

Thank you for replying! That's what I was thinking but just needed confirmation :)

Good question.
I had applied initially to 21.... and after coming under fire :slap:for the same from some of my colleagues, increased to 30. Personally, I do not think it makes sense pitching for more. I feel it is important to assess if the program applied to is what you are looking for. I know we cant always be so choosy, but thats just my 2 cents!

Again, thanks elresidante..... UTMB mailed me saying they interview anywhere from Jan 12 to May 27, and a monday is preferable for them- essentially I have to choose the date. I was expecting them to give me a set of days and to narrow it from there- this was a curve ball:caution: and I am just wondering if I should do this is april, as I have vacation time them. One colleague said thats too late... my gut feeling is to finish in Jan, but the argument is that they are likely to forget you by the time the season is over. Well lemme see what I hear from the other places and then plan.... if I can combine this with something else, at least I can save on cost.

so when is the best time to schedule interviews?
jan-------> too ealy
feb-----> still early

march---> maybe

april-----> late?
may----> late
june ---> too late

Anyone agree with me?

so when is the best time to schedule interviews?
jan-------> too ealy
feb-----> still early

march---> maybe

april-----> late?
may----> late
june ---> too late

Anyone agree with me?

I doubt it matters when you interview. At least in my residency program I know that the selection process is based on a score they formulate from the applicant's interview, board scores and a bunch of other factors. I'm not sure if it's the same for fellowship, but it would seem that they must have some kind of objective measure like a scoring system to rank you. If that's the case, it wouldn't matter if you interview early or late. But don't take my word for it.

So far, interviews at:

Creighton
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Vanderbilt
Utah
Vermont

(am hoping to stay in midwest)

Has anyone heard back from any of the following:

Mayo?
University of Missouri-Columbia?
Indiana?

Thanks!

Is it normal to interview with 7 faculty members during an interview day? or is it normally less? It seems a little bit daunting.

Last edited:
It's normal... very different from residency application!
Good luck to us!:)

Hey did anyone hear anything from NY, NJ or nearby places ?? Last two weeks were really surprising. No reply, not even rejections ????? Anyone else feels same ??

Same here... was wondering if should be worried about it... guess not!:eek:

Going for the first interview Tuesday.... and I see that so many more are wondering what is happening with schools in NY/NJ....

Any opinions on prematch offers??

Hi all, i'm new here, but getting great advice, esp. from one fish two fish after last year's match. From what I hear many programs, esp NY, are very late this year.

So far got invites from:
UW, UCLA, UCSD, Stanford, Case Western, Baylor, BID, Mount Sinai, Brown, Penn, Duke, NIH, and UCSF (very recently)

Still waiting on:
MGH/BWH, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Cornell, UOC, Northwestern

Anyone heard from these places yet?

Got my first interviews in a couple weeks but looks like it will be a long drawn out process lasting until end of April. I'll keep you "posted"

Whew!
First interview yesterday and went quite well. Six faculty members individually, and thought it was quite close to an offer... Next one on Tuesday (Wayne state Detroit)
Has anyone else interviewed as yet?

Interviewed and matched last year. Due to proximity to family and climate my goal was to match in Florida and interviewed in Southeast region.

Was also looking for a smaller program. Went to medical school at a large school, Univ of Miami and am doing IM residency at a small program now. I've found the more intimate environment of a small program to be more conducive to being able to interact with attendings and being able to perform procedures, and overall having more responsibility and learning more.

Tried to post previously with all programs on one post but kept getting logged out, so will post each program individually and then do posts on the remaining Southeast programs.

Good luck with the match this year!

Interviewed in March 2008. Interviewed with 6 faculty. Drs. Southwich, Schain, Islam, Swaminathan, Madhosingh, and Ramphal. Dr. Southwich wrote the book, Infectious Disease in 30 Days and is the program director. Dr. Ramphal is an expert on Pseudomonas. Dr. Schain specializes in transplant ID. Interviews were low stress mainly asked about background, research interests, why wanted to do ID, questions about program, etc.

Met with 3 fellows, they seemed happy and not stressed. A couple of them were older, nontraditional.

Program consists of 3 month blocks alternating between Shand's consult service, transplant service, VA, and research. There are 3 or 4 positions. Transplant is very active at UF. Plenty of opportunity for both clinical and basic science research. Of note, the Emerging Pathogens Institute recently opened with collaboration between many interdiscplinary research groups. Program's only weakness depending upon your perspective is a small HIV population who are mostly compliant, so probably won't see many opportunistic infections in the population. However, transplant is strong so can see OI in this population.

Gainesville is a college town, Gators are 3 time national champions in football. Good city for family, great biking city, and close to larger cities such as Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa.

Interviewed March 2008.
First impressions are important. The secretary was terrible at returning phone calls and emails, and very disorganized at scheduling the interview. I received my itinerary at the last minute before leaving town to travel to the interview and several faculty members received my application packet 5 minutes before I was to be interviewed so they didn't have time to look it over. Besides these initial impressions, have mainly positive things to say about this program.

Was scheduled to interview with with 4 faculty and had a 5th impromptu interview. Interviewed with Drs. Sinnott, Wills, and Montero at Tampa General and Drs. Oehler and Toney at the VA. Faculty were very knowledgeable and interviews nonthreatening. Dr. Sinnott is the program director, Dr. Oehler coordinates the ID podcast website, and Dr. Toney specializes in STDs.

Met with a couple fellows, they were very busy, and seemed somewhat stressed but happy with the program.

There are 3 or 4 postions. Training takes place at 3 locations: Tampa General Hospital, Haley VA, and Moffitt Cancer Center. So has good diversity of patients, also has a large HIV population with many clinical studies. Program is strong in Tropical/International medicine. The program has a great podcast site with over 50 lectures online, posting link below.
http://www.idpodcasts.net/USF_ID_Podcasts/Main/Archive.html

The Tampa/St. Petersburg metropolitan area has great beaches and something is always going on whether it is a concert or art festival etc. Good city for both singles and families. Hurricanes never seem to come here either. After saying that, one will probably hit here next year!

Interviewed February 2008.
Interviewed with 4 faculty and 1 fellow. Interviewed with Drs. Sands, Bailey, Guzman, and Mitchell. The faculty were very knowledgeable and down-to-earth and seemed to love being at UF Jax. The interview was well-organized and nonstressful.

The 2 fellows seemed happy with the program. They said that they were most impressed by the amount and spectrum of pathology that was seen and had learned a lot from it. They said it was busy but they did not feel overwhelmed.

Small program with 1 position. The program offers training at 3 locations. Consult service is at Shand's Jacksonville with a transplant rotation at the Mayo Clinic/St. Lukes and a pediatric rotation at Wolfson's Childrens Hospital. There is also an MICU rotation. Program offers a diverse patient population. There is a large indigent population as well as a large HIV population so you will see some serious pathology as well as opportunistic infections. The program offers strong training in clinical microbiology with microbiology rotations at Shands, Baptist Hospital, and the Florida State Laboratories. There is opportunity for clinical research especially with large HIV population. Basic science research may be more difficult to arrange, but there is full access to the facilities of UF's main campus in Gainesville which is about an hours drive.

Jacksonville is a large city but has a small town feel, people were very friendly. Beaches are close by and the St. Johns River runs through the city, and the city has the largest park system in the US so lots of outdoor activities. Good selection of restaurants including Cuban, Thai, and Indian.

University of Miami
Did not apply here, but went to medical school here. Training is mainly at Jackson memorial hospital which is a huge facility and Mount Sinai in North Miami Beach. There are many patients from South and Central America as well as the Carribean so there is opportunity to see tropical infections. There is a large HIV and large TB population. Also plenty of opportunity for both clinical and basic science research. Being bilingual in English and Spanish would be helpful. Miami is a good city for singles, may not be as good for families. The beaches are gorgeous and the Keys and Everglades are close by.

Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville
This is a new program just starting in 2008. Applied here but was not granted an interview. There is 1 position. Interviewed here for Internal Medicine residency and the facilities are impressive. Opportunity to see complicated patients who are referred here. Likely are able to participate in both clinical and basic science research through the main campus in Rochester.

Orlando Regional
This is another new program. Last year offered postion outside of the match. Not sure if it is participating in ERAS this year, FRIEDA says it is not. Don't know much about the program but it is another possibility if you are considering applying in Florida.

Interviewed in May 2008. This was actually my last interview. Interviewed with 8 faculty, Drs. Mena, Matthew, Albrecht, Chapman, Henderson, Nolan at UM medical center and Drs. Swiatlo and Burton at the VA. Dr. Mena is the program director and specializes in STDs, Dr. Matthew specializes in TB, Dr. Henderson in HIV. The interviews were very enjoyable and I really liked this program, the faculty seemed like good people as well as knowledgeable and were easy to talk to. Only spoke with one of the fellows briefly, 2 were on vacation, and another was doing research.

University of Mississippi is the only medical school in MS so the hospital serves practically the whole state so many cases are referred here. There is also a large HIV population and good opportunity for both clinical and basic science research. The medical center is very busy while the VA is less busy and there is time to read. The clinic is actually a "medical mall" which was converted from a shopping mall and is very spacious. The program offers a 2 week trip to South America where you are on a houseboat that travels down the Amazon River where you stop at clinics along the way and see patients.

The program has 2 positions with 1 offered through the match and 1 outside the match. I was offered a postion but decided to go through the match. I really liked this program and was very surprised and impressed by the program, however I wanted to go to Florida, and if it had been there would have accepted the offer on the spot!

The people in Jackson were very friendly as they are in most southern cities. It has very affordable housing. If you are used to living in a larger city it will probably be pretty boring here, however, New Orleans and Memphis are a couple hours away.

How is UC Irvine? Anyone? Is it worth a trip out to CA or should I cancel the interview (I have others).

PGY-1 here, thinking of applying for ID fellowship at the end of this year. I know that ID is not as competitive as cards, GI, hem/onc, but does anybody know what's the step1 or 2 range for those who got interviewed, or matched at univ-based hospitals? Is research during residency required?

Thanks!
mrdowntoearth

PGY-1 here, thinking of applying for ID fellowship at the end of this year. I know that ID is not as competitive as cards, GI, hem/onc, but does anybody know what's the step1 or 2 range for those who got interviewed, or matched at univ-based hospitals? Is research during residency required?

Thanks!
mrdowntoearth

Definitely not as competitive as cards, GI, etc. I don't think anyone really cares about your step 1, 2 etc (unless maybe they're horrible). Research is a plus but you don't need publications or anything to be competitive. If you're coming from a strong university program and you have your program's support (in terms of letters of rec etc) you should have no problem. Honestly, letters of recommendation and where you are coming from are the most important factors, imho. Also, with letters of rec, who wrote them is probably more important than precisely what they say...a good letter from someone well known in the field will mean more than a glowing letter from a young faculty who isn't well known yet.

Definitely not as competitive as cards, GI, etc. I don't think anyone really cares about your step 1, 2 etc (unless maybe they're horrible). Research is a plus but you don't need publications or anything to be competitive. If you're coming from a strong university program and you have your program's support (in terms of letters of rec etc) you should have no problem. Honestly, letters of recommendation and where you are coming from are the most important factors, imho. Also, with letters of rec, who wrote them is probably more important than precisely what they say...a good letter from someone well known in the field will mean more than a glowing letter from a young faculty who isn't well known yet.
I agree with some of the points:
1. The LORs are crucial. Getting some from big names is VERY useful. They WILL read these letters if they are from important folks. Both places I have interviewed so far said that they were interested partly because of the language in the LOR
2. Both places where I interviewed acknowledged that my list of publications FORCED them to invite me. It is difficult for them to pass you over if you have your name on some papers.
3. Being from a strong program is crucial. If you have the two above, you may still fly, but a good program is a strong plus.
As mentioned, this is ID. Not GI. Not Cardio. Yes, you can get in. Thee question is, do you want to compete for the best slots?

Got back from Detroit (Wayne State). It appears that I am the first candidate to be interviewed again! May be I will go to Detroit- the program is VERY strong, and very collegial.

Status
Not open for further replies.