Infectious Disease Fellowship Application Thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not have interviews for big names but I would like you to know more information of these programs in US ranking:
Tufts-NEMC
UAB
Brown Univ
UTSW
Baylor

I appreciate ur inputs! :)

S

Members don't see this ad.

Invites from UT Houston and Univ. of Florida.

Any advice on interviews, have they been informal and just trying to get to know you, or more serious with some pimping? Thanks.

Got a UCSF interview today - so far so good!

Members don't see this ad :)
its feb 1st , 6 interviews so far , is it too late to hear from programs

Hoping to IDDoc,

In Southeast interviews are sill being granted. Just received one from Univ of FL: Jacksonville. One program hasn't even downloaded application and several are still reviewing and will grant interviews in Feb.

I seem to be the only one on here applying in SE, most others seem to be applying to NE...You asked about NY, NJ earlier which I have no idea, maybe someone else can fill you in.

Congrats on the interviews and good luck receiving more.
Any impressions on interviews so far?

Things are going well so far, I've heard from all the programs I've applied to.

Would love to compare notes w/ other people who've already interviewed

Heard from Univ of Miss for interview today.

Previously have heard from UF Gainesville & Jax, UT Houston for interviews.

Still waiting on Univ of S FL, Mayo Jax, Baylor, UT Galveston.

First interview end of Feb, so far format looks like interviews with about 6 faculty for 30 min each then lunch with fellows.

rejections rejections 2 today, i guess interview calls are done , have to be content with what one has and work on them

got four rejections so far.. the rest are interview offers. applying mostly to big cities in NE and Cali w/ a few interspersed throughout. Have my first interview this Sat. (Case/UH in Cleveland). I'll post my experience..:)

Now Tufts!.....one fish two fishes have many invitations, I wonder if you need to go to all of them since most likely you will match in the first three you rank......save money dude!....even in the best program in US the salary is the same for all of us......good luck.....S

congrats to all on their interviews. i received interviews at the 10 places i applied, but will probably only go to 4-5 and undecided where to go. definitely visiting hopkins, mgh/bwh and UW, may go to UCSF, Columbia, Emory or BID. will look forward to hearing people's impressions of places.

Hey guys,

Are invites pretty much done for this year or do they usually continue into the end of February? Have already heard from about 75% of the programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to give my impression of my first interview:
Grew up in Cleveland so I didnt mind that. Interview took place on a Sat (new format they're trying out and it worked great).

Very informal: During the first hour the PD and senior faculty members talked about the research going on (including international collaborations). Then I met individually with five different faculty members, and they were all good: no malignant questions, they just wanted to know more about the circumstances of my research and the literature behind it and the overall purpose. For lunch we met w/ current fellows and got to ask lots of questions.

At the end, the PD did say that they adhere strictly to the rules of the match, but if interested, applicants should make it known by showing more interest.

Good overall experience. Hopefully it gives us a flavor of interviews to come. Cheers!

Is there anybody out there?, just nod if you can hear me.....
(As Pink Floyd would say)

It's been quiet on here lately.....:sleep:

Thanks for posting about your interview, Arturo. The saturday interview sounds like a good option. I'm finding it hard to schedule some interviews especially during ward months. On electives we have weekends off, so with a saturday format you could go on friday, interview saturday and stay most of sunday and see the place, and get back without missing rotation. On wards it's tough to schedule no matter when without interfering with call schedule.

Have a couple interviews coming up in the next couple weeks, will post feedback about them.

Regards

I'm not even in medical school yet, but so far the more I do it, the more I am enjoying research, and I am wondering if ID is one of the specialties where one can devote all/most of the time to basic science research?

How strong a feeling does anybody get that the program really wants them?

I dont think I have gotten any good heartfelt remarks yet. Not looking for a wink and a nod, but certainly something more than a "thanks for coming".

You'll have that I guess.... luck everyone!

Quick question, I am just starting medical school, but I've worked in ID for a couple years (doing dengue research at CDC dengue branch in PR right now) and I thought that the ID fellowships are just 1-2 years? I saw somebody wrote that you spend 3-4 years there - that's longer than an internal medicine residency! I'm pretty sure ID fellowships are only one year. One other comment - wouldn't Hopkins and UCSF have two of the best ID fellowships? Those two places are pretty famous for ID (UCSF mostly for HIV/AIDS and Hopkins for malaria, dengue, and other stuff). I didn't see anybody really mention those two places. Also, I'm planning on an internal medicine/emergency residency - what other residencies are good preparation for infectious disease? Do they prefer/require a certain residency? Thanks!

Matthew

Dude, that "speak the truth..." proverb was once in the Christian Science Monitor, but was attributed to another country (Hungary, Czech, something like that) and said, "Speak the truth, but leave immediately after." Just thought you might like to know.

Matthew

ID is normally a 2 year fellowship. no way is it one year, i don't think you could get board certified if you only did 1 year. some places require more time because of research. some programs give you the option of doing more than 2 years, and some require it.

you should do 3 years of internal medicine to become an ID doc. i've heard of someone doing 3 years of family med before doing ID, but that would be a rare case, and should be highly discouraged. ID docs need to be great internists first. the only other options might be someone who did IM/Peds, or Peds and then ID-Peds fellowship.

like you mentioned, if you do IM/EM, that's fine too, as long as you have your internal medicine.

Any input on what the best ID programs are? I heard that it was UCSF, but it seems that they might be overly AIDS-focused. Also, aren't they 3 rather than 2 years? I've also heard that JHU is great for the non-AIDS ID.

There is always alot of debate about the best ID programs clinically, but it's safe to say

Johns Hopkins
Mass General / Brigham Combined
UCSF
Seattle
Columbia

would be five to think about.

I agree with the first four as representing the true top tier. In no particular order and not exclusive, I would say the second tier consists in UNC, BID, UAB, Tulane, Emory, Duke, Yale, and Columbia and I am open to additions/revisions but those seemed to be near-consensus from people I asked while doing two ID electives in my 4th year.

Last edited:
June 18th will soon be here, good luck to all!

In most cases everyone should get one of their top three choices. I was offered a spot outside the match but declined and am going through with the match.

Regarding whether a program is top tier or not, sometimes you can get better training, more individualized attention, and one-on-one interaction with attendings in small programs that are not considered top, 2nd, or 3rd tier than in large top tier programs. I have seen this from personal experience. There are many excellent ID programs out there.

It has been tough ranking programs with many factors to consider. Good luck to everyone getting your top choice.

Have not had time to post interview impressions but will do so when have more time. If everyone could do this it would make this forum more useful for those who follow in our footsteps.

I totally agree and am going to wait on impressions until after the match.

I arbitrarily chose the number 5 for top programs. As for Columbia, it's just one person's opinion. There are many many excellent programs and I was thinking more towards NYC as a great patient population to work with. Columbia is in an immigrant rich part of NYC, and has been at the center of most historic epidemics. Of the programs (Sinai, cornell, NYU, etc...) I found columbia to be strongly academic from a clinical standpoint. On rounds there are 2 attendings in IM, one basic science and one clinical. It's unique.

I'd love to hear opinions on not only what the top programs are, but what makes them good. Some of the one's mentioned I would particularly like to hear about are UW, UNC, and Tulane, but opinions on others would be welcome also. Totally understand if some folks want to wait until after match though!

Alright, time to voice my anxiety a little bit. How many of you had encouraging responses to your thank-you notes to your favorite programs? Most of the people I have spoken with got nothing but "thanks for coming, call with any questions" type of responses. During residency applications, I had lots of "we'd love to have you here, we'll be ranking you highly" responses but nothing but quiet on the fellowship trail. Are you folks getting feedback or is the fellowship match just more secretive?

I think applying to fellowship is different than residency because the numbers are just so much smaller. Most ID programs are looking to fill 2-6 slots, whereas residencies are filling a lot more. For fellowship, programs probably have a pretty good idea of who's coming and who's not, so they don't have to waste their time playing games with everyone else. That said, I am in the couples match this year, which has led to a little more personal interaction with fellowship directors than I probably otherwise would have had. I was in touch quite a bit because I needed to know that there was going to be a place that would take both of us (hubby is applying in cards). Because of that, I feel fairly certain that I know where I'm going to end up. My good friend, on the other hand, applied in heme/onc and has heard nothing at all from her top programs. I know she's feeling exactly like you do.
On a side note, I did hear from my school's ID program director that there were a lot of people going outside the match this year, causing a lot of upheaval as last minute lists were going in from programs (apparently emails between angry PDs were flying around like crazy early last week). I wonder if the amount of backroom dealing has anything to do with the relative quiet this year?

Hello all, and congratulations.

I'm applying to ID later this year for the 2010 cycle. I was wondering if anyone knows how the ID programs rank according to their International Health programs.
Also do any of the programs include a year of MPH or masters in epidemiological science?

Thanks

Impressions from the interview trail. Fellowship shopping is not like preparing for residency. The ID division is usually small and the strengths of programs in individual areas can vary considerably. The list of "top programs" for someone interested in HIV benchtop research is completely different than for one interested in international health. You don't need to know exactly what you want to do, but having a strong idea will allow you to guage whether an individual fellowship is the right vehicle to launch you where you wish to be.

Stanford - Great basic science research, can't recall much in the way of international health. Lovely location, suprisingly diverse patient population. Three different hospitals (university, community and VA). Fellows seem happy, program directors are warm and supporting. Guaranteed funding, stay as long as you wish. Some fellows do stay on as faculty. I was impressed with the quality of the research there - very creative investigators and more than a few Nobel prize winners. I really liked this program.

UCSF - Disorganized mess. Program administrators/secretaries quit/fired during this application cycle. Arranging an interview was confusing and somewhat frustrating. Once there, the PD was very personable, the location in SF was great, but the research facilities were spread out to a distant second campus "mission bay" 20 minutes away since the hospital has an agreement with the city to limit growth. There is a 2 week "boot camp" at the start of fellowship to get up to speed. I can't recall much about international programs. I couldn't find a lab to connect to, so the fit wasn't right.

MGH/Brigham - I was fully expecting to love this program and was disappointed. Only one felllow came to lunch out of a possible thirty fellows split between two hospitals (he seemed stressed) and there was a pervasive feeling of stress throughout the day from fellows/faculty. The "successful" fellow I met who had their own K08 research grant was stashed in a cubicle and seemed miserable. The program expects you to have identified potential mentors by the time you arrive for interviews, and the inteviewer will have to vouch for you in order to have a decent chance at acceptance. You have to find your own funding for the non-clinical years. You have to find your way around during the interview day itself. Interviewers kept mentioning the severity of the competition this year. Fellows rarely stay on to become faculty. No one said "I'm here because I love what I do" - it seemed they were there since it's Harvard. My home program thinks the world of MGH to the point of fetish, but in the end I couldn't see this as a good fit for me. There was one lab I connected with, but I wasn't willing to take the risk if it didn't work out.

Johns Hopkins - Great research, happy fellows, supportive faculty. Many fellows stay on as faculty (ID is the largest medicine division). Fellows are attendings on the HIV inpatient service. The hospital is in a rough part of town and Baltimore is not for everyone. There were no pretentions at all, just genuine warm fellows and faculty I wouldn't mind having a beer with. I found many basic science researchers I could connect with here, so for me this program made the most sense. For me this program offered ideal training to find an academic job afterwards.

Cornell - Fantastic international programs, they were doing this before anyone else. Division chief is stepping down. Program director is very supportive, and is increasing the size of the program. In a great part of New York City. Decent housing is provided. Limitted patient population in the sense that Columbia or NYU would see more immigrants and lower socioeconomic patients with diverse ID issues. If you are interested in Onc/ID, especially bone marrow transplant populations, the relationship with Sloan Kettering is fantastic (MSKCC has it's own ID program too). For me the basic science opportunities were there, but the clinical training wasn't the strongest.

Penn - This is my home institution, so I'm positively biased here. Very strong clinically, basic science in ID focused more on HIV/virology. Fantastic program director. Fellows are very happy. Good quality of life, Philly is an easy city to live in and a difficult one to leave.

GOOD LUCK next year!

University of Florida, Jacksonville

Impressions from the interview trail. Fellowship shopping is not like preparing for residency. The ID division is usually small and the strengths of programs in individual areas can vary considerably. The list of "top programs" for someone interested in HIV benchtop research is completely different than for one interested in international health. You don't need to know exactly what you want to do, but having a strong idea will allow you to guage whether an individual fellowship is the right vehicle to launch you where you wish to be.

Stanford - Great basic science research, can't recall much in the way of international health. Lovely location, suprisingly diverse patient population. Three different hospitals (university, community and VA). Fellows seem happy, program directors are warm and supporting. Guaranteed funding, stay as long as you wish. Some fellows do stay on as faculty. I was impressed with the quality of the research there - very creative investigators and more than a few Nobel prize winners. I really liked this program.

UCSF - Disorganized mess. Program administrators/secretaries quit/fired during this application cycle. Arranging an interview was confusing and somewhat frustrating. Once there, the PD was very personable, the location in SF was great, but the research facilities were spread out to a distant second campus "mission bay" 20 minutes away since the hospital has an agreement with the city to limit growth. There is a 2 week "boot camp" at the start of fellowship to get up to speed. I can't recall much about international programs. I couldn't find a lab to connect to, so the fit wasn't right.

MGH/Brigham - I was fully expecting to love this program and was disappointed. Only one felllow came to lunch out of a possible thirty fellows split between two hospitals (he seemed stressed) and there was a pervasive feeling of stress throughout the day from fellows/faculty. The "successful" fellow I met who had their own K08 research grant was stashed in a cubicle and seemed miserable. The program expects you to have identified potential mentors by the time you arrive for interviews, and the inteviewer will have to vouch for you in order to have a decent chance at acceptance. You have to find your own funding for the non-clinical years. You have to find your way around during the interview day itself. Interviewers kept mentioning the severity of the competition this year. Fellows rarely stay on to become faculty. No one said "I'm here because I love what I do" - it seemed they were there since it's Harvard. My home program thinks the world of MGH to the point of fetish, but in the end I couldn't see this as a good fit for me. There was one lab I connected with, but I wasn't willing to take the risk if it didn't work out.

Johns Hopkins - Great research, happy fellows, supportive faculty. Many fellows stay on as faculty (ID is the largest medicine division). Fellows are attendings on the HIV inpatient service. The hospital is in a rough part of town and Baltimore is not for everyone. There were no pretentions at all, just genuine warm fellows and faculty I wouldn't mind having a beer with. I found many basic science researchers I could connect with here, so for me this program made the most sense. For me this program offered ideal training to find an academic job afterwards.

Cornell - Fantastic international programs, they were doing this before anyone else. Division chief is stepping down. Program director is very supportive, and is increasing the size of the program. In a great part of New York City. Decent housing is provided. Limitted patient population in the sense that Columbia or NYU would see more immigrants and lower socioeconomic patients with diverse ID issues. If you are interested in Onc/ID, especially bone marrow transplant populations, the relationship with Sloan Kettering is fantastic (MSKCC has it's own ID program too). For me the basic science opportunities were there, but the clinical training wasn't the strongest.

Penn - This is my home institution, so I'm positively biased here. Very strong clinically, basic science in ID focused more on HIV/virology. Fantastic program director. Fellows are very happy. Good quality of life, Philly is an easy city to live in and a difficult one to leave.

GOOD LUCK next year!

Thanks for this, I found it very helpful

This is a fairly slow thread, so I'm going to just leave the old one stuck on top so it's easier to access the old posts.

Having just finished the interview trail, I agree with much of the below, but the my experience at MGH/Brigham wasn't as negative (fellows being "stashed in cubicles" and so forth). I met several fellows who loved the program and were very successful in writing K awards (some in their 1st year). While MGH/Brigham doesn't guarantee funding in non-clinical years (only Hopkins in my experience guaranteed 2 research years to be funded), MGH/Brigham has 4 T (training) grants--most other top programs have one or none. With that, fellows don't struggle to find funding. All of the faculty members I met with were graduates of the fellowship program.

The interview experience there was certainly more intimidating than other places, and they didn't entirely hide the fact that they were the ones doing the selection and had a lot of great applicants. They did expect that one had a pretty good idea of the faculty member(s) they might work with, which simply requires doing some reading and knowing who is doing what.

Hopkins was wonderful, no doubt. The faculty were very nice, the opportunities for advanced degrees were abundant, and the clinical training is obviously top notch. I can't think of anything negative about the program, and were it not in Baltimore, it would have been higher on my list.

UW was another great program. The interview schedule ("come whenever you want in the next four months") was extraordinarily convenient, given how difficult it was to arrange days off for interviews. As a result, however, I was the only person there on the day of my interview so it wasn't the most organized of affairs. The Program Director is the nicest and most helpful and accessible of any I met on the interview trail. They are more flexible in many regards than other top programs, and the fellows there seemed to really like the environment. Seem very collegial with the faculty, and overwhelming majority of faculty are grads of the fellowship.

GOOD LUCK next year!

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time for such a detailed post.
It does help. I've been lost in the dark vortex of wards and icu. Will start preparing for Applications from today.
From what I've read though, ID at JHU is as competetive as Cardiology or GI at other places. What do they usually look for in their applicants?

GOOD LUCK next year!

Also wanted to know about Cleveland clinic ID program..How is it ranked generally?

I have spoken to some of the current fellows, they love it. All of them are presenting at IDSA this year, active and successful in clinical research. They say you see every possible ID pathology there.

If anyone who applied last year didn't get a spot, LSU in Shreveport ID program just got approved for a new fellow position to start July 2009. I have also matched there to start July 2009. If you want more information about the program or have questions about the fellowship, you can contact me.

Does anyone have any feedback/knowledge about CWRU's ID program?

Hi there everyone. Just wanted to get the thread for this year's ID fellowship application cycle going. I am applying for ID to start in 2010 - hopefully in the midwest, but will go anywhere of course:) Personally, I would love to hear if anyone had any information/advice about midwest programs (Creighton, Mayo, Minnesota, Colorado, Indiana, Wash U, etc., etc.).

Good luck!

Hi. Does anyone have any information on Boston University Medical Center? How does it compare to the other programs in the Boston area? Thanks!

Another quick Q: what can you tell about a program by the number of consults per fellow per year? (as listed on the IDSA website). Does 600 vs. 300 consults just mean that you work more, or that there's more clinical learning? It could be interpreted either way to me!

This is a pretty slow thread, as you can see. Typically doesn't start picking up for a few more weeks. Hopefully people will get on board to discuss. Personally, I don't know the answer to your question.

Does anyone have any knowledge/information about ID fellowship programs offering MPH's during fellowship, or is this not something people typically do? I figure that the extra training would be invaluable. If so, would you be paying full price for the degree if you are an employee (fellow) of that university?

Would also be mighty interested in a combined ID/MPH- is this on a case by case basis, or is it that some institutions are more likely to offer it??
Appears that the thread will start firing only after the interview invitations start appearing!

Hi there everyone. Just wanted to get the thread for this year's ID fellowship application cycle going. I am applying for ID to start in 2010 - hopefully in the midwest, but will go anywhere of course:) Personally, I would love to hear if anyone had any information/advice about midwest programs (Creighton, Mayo, Minnesota, Colorado, Indiana, Wash U, etc., etc.).

Good luck!

I think it will be good to start a new thread for ID fellowship 2010.
what do you guys think?

I'm also applying for an ID spot for 2010

I think it would be a great idea to start a new thread, and maybe attach the previous thread in an attachment (seen it done, don't know how).

Hey everybody,
It seems like i have finally decided to go for Infectious disease as a career. Had been in hospitalist practice in a small hopsital for three years. Finished residency in 2005.
Have arranged for LOR's and am currently on H1-B.
I will really appreciate if someone can comment on the following questions .

1. Does anyone know the programs which accepts H-1B aplicant. We probbably can come up with a list if we add.
The ones that i know are :
Yale ( Clinical track)
Henry Ford( MI)
2. The programs which offer a two year track.
3. I dont have too much interms of research and publications as i had planned to take primary care as a career but since i changed my mind , any suggestions which programs are not as competetive and will accomodate people in my situation.
Getting rusty, still have to write PS and upload the documents . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.