Infectious Disease Fellowship Application Thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AJM

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for you folks applying for ID fellowships this year. Feel free to discuss. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi..I am an IMG applying for ID..so far applpied for 30 programs..12 have to still download it..has anybody received any calls/rejections yet? when can we expect to hear from the programs?

Thank you!

Also wanted to know about Cleveland clinic ID program..How is it ranked generally?

Members don't see this ad :)
srimti78 said:
Also wanted to know about Cleveland clinic ID program..How is it ranked generally?

No news so far. Programs are still downloading information. Where else have you applied?

mayo, henry ford, ohio state, wayne state, beaumont, rush, UIL chicago, UAB, Little rock Arkansas, emory to name few..still many have nit downlaoded and no response from those who have..how many programs are you applying for? is it to early to expect respones?

srimti78 said:
mayo, henry ford, ohio state, wayne state, beaumont, rush, UIL chicago, UAB, Little rock Arkansas, emory to name few..still many have nit downlaoded and no response from those who have..how many programs are you applying for? is it to early to expect respones?

Yes, I think it is too early to expect a response. I guess they will start inviting for interviews at the end of the month.

I got one from Shrevport

srimti78 said:
I got one from Shrevport
Hi Srimti78, have you gotten more interviews? I got Emory but no more interviews so far. Hope to have better luck this month!

Congrats Emory is gr8..i got rejection from Emory and call from wayne state..
How would you rate cleveland clinic ID program??

srimti78 said:
Congrats Emory is gr8..i got rejection from Emory and call from wayne state..
How would you rate cleveland clinic ID program??

Research intensive but not good clinical training since it is a private hospital. I do not know too much about that program.

Can you please rank these programs-

Cleveland Clinic
UT Houston
LSU Shrevport
Ohio State University
St.John's Detroit
Medical College of Wiscosin Detroit
Loyola State University Chicago
Wayne State University
Henry Ford, Detroit

Thanks,

Srimti

-UT Houston or Cleveland Clinic depending on what you are interested in (clinical training/ research vs pure lab research). I would go for UT Houston. Better city too.
-The other programs I do not know too much.

srimti78 said:
Can you please rank these programs-

Cleveland Clinic
UT Houston
LSU Shrevport
Ohio State University
St.John's Detroit
Medical College of Wiscosin Detroit
Loyola State University Chicago
Wayne State University
Henry Ford, Detroit

Thanks,

Srimti

Members don't see this ad :)
shindaigua said:
-UT Houston or Cleveland Clinic depending on what you are interested in (clinical training/ research vs pure lab research). I would go for UT Houston. Better city too.
-The other programs I do not know too much.

OK, I can give you the Ohio perspective ...

CCF is most definitely not research intensive, it is mostly clinical, but a solid program; it does not enjoy the reputation of CCF's cards or GI prorgrams

UT-Houston is a solid program, but weak by Texas Standards ... Baylor and UTSW rule Texas. UTMB is making itself ID-centric with the new national BSL4 facility

shindaigua said:
Yes, I think it is too early to expect a response. I guess they will start inviting for interviews at the end of the month.
do u guys know if a resident in Family medicine can be accepted to an ID fellowship? any comments?

Any input on Mayo and Vanderbilt???

srimti78 said:
Any input on Mayo and Vanderbilt???
Vandy is a growing program, there are brilliant people over there focusing on translational research on HIV and TB. Its hospitals are close together which is really convenient to save time. Clinical training is great, they even have an ID ward. Summary: very academic and research-oriented program.

d2kole said:
do u guys know if a resident in Family medicine can be accepted to an ID fellowship? any comments?
You should call the programs you are interested in. I am sure some would accept family medicine residents.

shindaigua said:
You should call the programs you are interested in. I am sure some would accept family medicine residents.

Sorry I am a first time user and I have not figured out how to start a thread/post altogether hence my decision to post on this thread.

I interviewed in a very good programr recently, after the interview I sent mail to the chief of ID emphasizing my interest in the program and my intention to do an elective there sometime soon. In his reply he stated that doing an elective there in the next few mths is important to my candidacy . The only problem is my programme would not allow me to do an elective anytime before the match(since I have used up all the elective time for the year)and I have quite a hectic schedule in the last couple of mths including ccu. what do you think I should do ?

I would talk to one of the chief residents to see if they could change the schedule or what other options there are, including switching your rotations with another resident. Good luck!

funky doc said:
Sorry I am a first time user and I have not figured out how to start a thread/post altogether hence my decision to post on this thread.

I interviewed in a very good programr recently, after the interview I sent mail to the chief of ID emphasizing my interest in the program and my intention to do an elective there sometime soon. In his reply he stated that doing an elective there in the next few mths is important to my candidacy . The only problem is my programme would not allow me to do an elective anytime before the match(since I have used up all the elective time for the year)and I have quite a hectic schedule in the last couple of mths including ccu. what do you think I should do ?

Anybody knows how is BIDMC in ID and HIV? clinical and bench research wise. Inputs will be appreciated.

shindaigua said:
Anybody knows how is BIDMC in ID and HIV? clinical and bench research wise. Inputs will be appreciated.

BID is very good for both ID and HIV research. Off the top of my head, Norm Letvin is there ... and there are many other solid HIV vaccine and basic science researchers. They are always in a little clique at the Keystone HIV Symposia every year. I don't know how true this is, but I would bet once you are in Boston, you can do your research with any of the Harvard Med School people, not only BID.

Would love other's opinions of these programs I've interviewed at. I think I've eliminated some from what I suspect my final rank list will be, but would love to hear others thoughts.

BI Deaconness
Tufts - Haven't gone to the interview yet. scheduled for next week, but thinking of cancelling.
U of Maryland
Hopkins
UNC- Chapel Hill - Haven't gone to the interview yet. scheduled for next week, but thinking of cancelling.
Vanderbilt - Haven't gone to the interview yet. scheduled for next week, but thinking of cancelling.
Wash U
University of Washington
Penn

alpo said:
Would love other's opinions of these programs I've interviewed at. I think I've eliminated some from what I suspect my final rank list will be, but would love to hear others thoughts.

BI Deaconness
Tufts - Haven't gone to the interview yet. scheduled for next week, but thinking of cancelling.
U of Maryland
Hopkins
UNC- Chapel Hill - Haven't gone to the interview yet. scheduled for next week, but thinking of cancelling.
Vanderbilt - Haven't gone to the interview yet. scheduled for next week, but thinking of cancelling.
Wash U
University of Washington
Penn

I went to WashU, great program, specially in clinical research on HIV and some tropical diseases. They look for people interested in academics/research. First year for clinical work, second for research. Third year is optional. Research funding for sure. Protected time for research projects. Schedules are busy as in any program, but not malignant at all. They are looking for a new division chief. St Louis would be fine for me, it is not expensive. I have not gone to the other programs yet.

I know about MGH/BWH but how do you compare BIDMC, Wash U and UCLA in terms of academic reputation in ID, clinical training and bench research on HIV?

shindaigua said:
I went to WashU, great program, specially in clinical research on HIV and some tropical diseases. They look for people interested in academics/research. First year for clinical work, second for research. Third year is optional. Research funding for sure. Protected time for research projects. Schedules are busy as in any program, but not malignant at all. They are looking for a new division chief. St Louis would be fine for me, it is not expensive. I have not gone to the other programs yet.

I know about MGH/BWH but how do you compare BIDMC, Wash U and UCLA in terms of academic reputation in ID, clinical training and bench research on HIV?

WashU lost a good portion of their HIV folks to Penn, so they self-identify that as an area that needs some strengthening. I really liked the fact that funding is available through all sorts of training grants for further training in epi, etc. Of course you do have to go to SLU for an MPH, which doesn't strike me as being all that great, but I really liked their program directors.

The BIDMC program is interesting in that it seems like a lot of their fellows are going to the MGH/BWH program for their research years. I think the Partners program has a better reputation than BIDMC, but if you are doing your research training with MGH/BW faculty and have their support when you apply for your K grant, not sure if it really matters. Don't really know about UCLA. I'm an East Coast person at heart. :)

alpo said:
WashU lost a good portion of their HIV folks to Penn, so they self-identify that as an area that needs some strengthening. I really liked the fact that funding is available through all sorts of training grants for further training in epi, etc. Of course you do have to go to SLU for an MPH, which doesn't strike me as being all that great, but I really liked their program directors.

The BIDMC program is interesting in that it seems like a lot of their fellows are going to the MGH/BWH program for their research years. I think the Partners program has a better reputation than BIDMC, but if you are doing your research training with MGH/BW faculty and have their support when you apply for your K grant, not sure if it really matters. Don't really know about UCLA. I'm an East Coast person at heart. :)

Anybody has a comment aboput UCLA in ID/HIV and how do you compare this program with UCSD, Stanford and UCSF?
Thanks

My general understanding is that UCSF stands out and above most other programs. At least here on the East Coast, it has a reputation that puts it in a similar class to Hopkins and MGH. Don't hear much about the other programs.

Would really like your input on ranking the following programs: Vanderbilt, Mayo clinic, UT Houston-MDA, Cleveland Clinic, OSU, Wayne State.

srimti78 said:
Would really like your input on ranking the following programs: Vanderbilt, Mayo clinic, UT Houston-MDA, Cleveland Clinic, OSU, Wayne State.

1) Vanderbilt. PD very supportive and motivated. Smart fellows. Great research opportunities. They just brought Faculty from Hopkins, MGH and UAB.
2) UT-Houston. They have Dr. DuPont, a worldwide expert in travel medicine.
3) Mayo Clinic. A lot of lab research. They barely see HIV patients. Great hospital but not strong in ID.
4) The others. I do not know about OSU.

alpo said:
My general understanding is that UCSF stands out and above most other programs. At least here on the East Coast, it has a reputation that puts it in a similar class to Hopkins and MGH. Don't hear much about the other programs.

Hi Alpo, given you are from the East Coast, what do you know about ID in Columbia-NYPH? I will interview over there next month.
Thanks

shindaigua said:
Hi Alpo, given you are from the East Coast, what do you know about ID in Columbia-NYPH? I will interview over there next month.
Thanks

To be honest, I don't really know much about the NY programs. I didn't want to go to NY, so I didn't even apply there.

So ... interview season is winding down. What programs did people out there like the best?

I found no ratings for the Infectious Disease Programs anywhere ( like for others in US News)..does somebody know?

srimti78 said:
I found no ratings for the Infectious Disease Programs anywhere ( like for others in US News)..does somebody know?
There is no ranking for ID programs in USNews but there is one for HIV:
1) UCSF
2) Hopkins/Harvard
3) UAB/U Washington Seattle
4) UCSD/UCLA
5) Duke
Then Columbia, WashU, UNC, Stanford, Cornell etc.

I think everybody agree than UCSF is the most competitive program in ID in the country along with MGH/BWH.

alpo said:
So ... interview season is winding down. What programs did people out there like the best?

Academically so far:

1) WashU vs UAB
2) Columbia/Vandy
3) Emory

Going to LA and Boston next week so my list could change.

For me, in no particular order, are:

Hopkins
Wash U
BI Deaconess
U Wash

US News does rank ID and immunology programs under the Biological sciences section of their "Best" rankings. I think the rankings fit more with research than ID fellowships, but you can take it for what it's worth.

1. Harvard University (MA)
2. Stanford University (CA)
Yale University (CT)
4. Johns Hopkins University (MD)
5. University of California–San Francisco
Washington University in St. Louis
7. University of California–Berkeley
University of California–Los Angeles

alpo said:
US News does rank ID and immunology programs under the Biological sciences section of their "Best" rankings. I think the rankings fit more with research than ID fellowships, but you can take it for what it's worth.

1. Harvard University (MA)
2. Stanford University (CA)
Yale University (CT)
4. Johns Hopkins University (MD)
5. University of California–San Francisco
Washington University in St. Louis
7. University of California–Berkeley
University of California–Los Angeles

Right, this ranking is more research oriented. It does tell you nothing about the quality of the fellowship but you can see some programs are consistently repeated in several ID rankings such as UCSF or Hopkins.

How helpful is it if the program director calls programs you have interviewed at and liked the best, esp if they go thru match??

srimti78 said:
How helpful is it if the program director calls programs you have interviewed at and liked the best, esp if they go thru match??

It certainly cannot hurt to have your program director or chairperson call the program. I would certainly only have them call a program you are truly very interested in as your top choice. At my program, the chair or program director will only call one program. They don't want to be telling 10 programs that you will be ranking each of them first and then have you not do so. Certainly doesn't do anything for the chair/PD's reputation the following years if they tell multiple programs that you will be ranking that program first.

Does anybody know how is the ID fellowship at the NIH? I guess it is really strong research wise, but what about clinically? What kind of reputation this fellowship has comparing to the top programs?

Just curious, can anyone make any suggestions for somebody interested in doing a cool ID elective.

shindaigua said:
Does anybody know how is the ID fellowship at the NIH? I guess it is really strong research wise, but what about clinically? What kind of reputation this fellowship has comparing to the top programs?

The NIH program is very research driven. Some of the hospitals that they rotate through are the DC area hospitals, which do not have a good reputation. Then again, they also spend part of their clinical time at Hopkins. I've worked with several of the NIH fellows and all seemed pretty research based. It that's your thing, then it might be a good fit.

Aaargh said:
Just curious, can anyone make any suggestions for somebody interested in doing a cool ID elective.

Do something international. Can't begin to tell you the number of cool cases I'm seeing during my elective abroad -- lots of things you just don't see in the US.

well for me these are the best programs
hopkins
ucla
vanderbilt
duke
emory
washington university
mass gen
univ mich
bidmc

again it all depends on what you ar looking for. you have to match the place with your research and educational goals. the people counts too.

hey you might find this site useful.. all free access...
lots of ID stuff...
http://ezmedaccess.com/INFECTIOUS_DISEASE.html

alpo said:
Do something international. Can't begin to tell you the number of cool cases I'm seeing during my elective abroad -- lots of things you just don't see in the US.

Come to Memphis. ;)

So how did all the ID folks do? matched at wayne state , first choice..very glad.

Wash U

shindaigua said:

Want to buy a house outside of DC? You'll be doing some of your time up at Hopkins :)

alpo said:
Wash U

Want to buy a house outside of DC? You'll be doing some of your time up at Hopkins :)
hey Alpo, congratulations for WashU! I will start looking for a house, I do not know if DC or Bethesda yet. Anybody recommends a particular area?

Status
Not open for further replies.