- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Other Subspecialties
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Infectious Disease Fellowship Application Thread: '08-09 version
Started by AJM
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
December first is just a few hours away. Anything going on out there in the ID application world?
December first is just a few hours away. Anything going on out there in the ID application world?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
By the way, I heard the ID job market was very poor. Is that really true? Where do most ID fellows want to work after they graduate? Are you pretty much limited to academics or hospitalist positions?
Wow, this place is dead...
So, I guess this means I'm the only one applying for ID this cycle?
Is there anybody else out there?
Is there anybody else out there?
Looks like you are on your own. I got ID in the last cycle. Good luck. You may need to start a new thread.
I am just curious why everyone in this section may be interested in Infectious Diseases?
I have received my MPH and was wondering once I apply for my IM subspecialty if I would get any advantage in my application?
I will be a IMG so I hope that will not affect my future in ID.
Thank you for your advice! 😳
I have received my MPH and was wondering once I apply for my IM subspecialty if I would get any advantage in my application?
I will be a IMG so I hope that will not affect my future in ID.
Thank you for your advice! 😳
So, I guess this means I'm the only one applying for ID this cycle?
Is there anybody else out there?
Peptido,
Good Luck in the ID application process. There are about 4 people in my class/program applying for ID this time. I am applying for Nephrology!
Merry Christmas in NOLA!
ID has become fairly popular down here, but it doesn't look like anyone has found this forum. Oh well. Since no one else seems to be using this forum, I guess I can consider it my personal space for the next couple of months! I've applied to a few programs in your neck of the woods, so maybe I'll run into you! Since we're in the match, we're a little behind the renal folks in interview scheduling.
How's the renal interview trail treating you? One of our former classmates who stayed at Tulane for residency is also applying renal and he's been interviewing all over. Sounds like a stressful process. He says places are waiting until January to offer spots, but he's nonetheless nervous because he's going to have to decide to uproot his family very soon and with little clear information about each place. I feel like I am so much less informed about fellowship programs than I was about residency applications.
Anyway, I hope your Christmas was a merry one. Ours was wonderful. I didn't want it to end!
How's the renal interview trail treating you? One of our former classmates who stayed at Tulane for residency is also applying renal and he's been interviewing all over. Sounds like a stressful process. He says places are waiting until January to offer spots, but he's nonetheless nervous because he's going to have to decide to uproot his family very soon and with little clear information about each place. I feel like I am so much less informed about fellowship programs than I was about residency applications.
Anyway, I hope your Christmas was a merry one. Ours was wonderful. I didn't want it to end!
FREIDA has all this info for all fellowship programs, jut like they do for residencies. http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2997.html
I'm glad to have some company. Any good news coming your way these days?
Hey, I'm in this cycle too. Applied to 20 places. 5 interviews so far. 2 rejects. what's up with you guys..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys,
Am applying for ID fellowship starting 2009. Is anyone interested in exchanging thoughts regarding the same. I am applying to about 30 programs. Am trying to form a forum that shall have infectious ideas, inputs to help applicants ...
Staph74
Am applying for ID fellowship starting 2009. Is anyone interested in exchanging thoughts regarding the same. I am applying to about 30 programs. Am trying to form a forum that shall have infectious ideas, inputs to help applicants ...
Staph74
Just completed my apps
Anyone else out there?
Anyone else out there?
Also submitted my app last week. No replies yet. when do interview offers generally come?
I haven't heard anything yet -
seems most interview invites come in January with earlier programs starting mid December.
seems most interview invites come in January with earlier programs starting mid December.
I got my first interview invite - Stanford! 😍
Some programs do offer spots outside of the match, but it isn't really spoken about much. I received such an offer moons ago when I applied, but did not accept. I wanted to see what the match would bring. It all worked out well. 🙂
3 interview offers so far, waiting to hear from 9 others
hi all
just joined this thread, applied to the id fellowship this year, so far 3 rejections and 1 interview, is it too late for interviews already?? has anyone heard from any new york new jersey programs , thats my main focus now, hearing from everywhere else 🙁
just joined this thread, applied to the id fellowship this year, so far 3 rejections and 1 interview, is it too late for interviews already?? has anyone heard from any new york new jersey programs , thats my main focus now, hearing from everywhere else 🙁
What is the best way to approach a prematch situation? Let's say for example you want to take your chances with the match it hopes of getting a better spot but you don't want to ruin your chances at the place that offers you a match either. If you don't accept a prematch does that pretty much guarentee that the program offering the spot will not rank you at all?
What is the best way to approach a prematch situation? Let's say for example you want to take your chances with the match it hopes of getting a better spot but you don't want to ruin your chances at the place that offers you a match either. If you don't accept a prematch does that pretty much guarentee that the program offering the spot will not rank you at all?
The whole point of the match was to avoid these under the table dealings and let you choose the best program for you without an exercise in game theory. Have faith in it. If they want you badly enough to offer you spot on the side, then they should rank you highly.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Fellows,
That seems to be a good group to start with..
I received one interview from Baystate Med. Ctr.
And a second from St. Louis University.. Does anyone have input about st. Louis University program ?
Any idea where to look for 2008 openings?
All the best...
That seems to be a good group to start with..
I received one interview from Baystate Med. Ctr.
And a second from St. Louis University.. Does anyone have input about st. Louis University program ?
Any idea where to look for 2008 openings?
All the best...
12 apps sent out - 6 interviews (stanford, hopkins, penn, columbia, washu, duke), waiting on 6 more.
Hola everybody,
Has anybody applied to or heard from any of the programs in Florida?
Applied to 4 out of the 5 programs in FL, haven't heard from any yet😕
Hopefully we'll all start hearing from more programs by the end of January. Good luck to everyone!
Has anybody applied to or heard from any of the programs in Florida?
Applied to 4 out of the 5 programs in FL, haven't heard from any yet😕
Hopefully we'll all start hearing from more programs by the end of January. Good luck to everyone!
Also applying this cycle. And concentrating NY/Boston programs.
Has anyone heard from Partners programs? How about BI?
Has anyone heard from Partners programs? How about BI?
Ok, just heard from BI, still nothing from NYU, columbia, BWH/MGH
haven't heard from Partners or BI...
have interviews at UW, Hopkins, Columbia and NYU, still waiting to hear on 6. how many interviews are people going to attend?
have interviews at UW, Hopkins, Columbia and NYU, still waiting to hear on 6. how many interviews are people going to attend?
Hey guys,
Has anyone heard anything about whether ID is more competitive this year or not?
At my program an unusually large number of people ar applying this year (2x usual). I'm not sure if that's true elsewhere.
I expect ID will get more and more competitive as med schools start to create "global health" departments. I've heard a department chair recently talking about how international medicine has become a big selling point for med schools with the current generation of students.
Anyone have any idea how many people are interviewed at most programs? It seems from the interview options I am given that places are maybe only interviewing 25-35 people total.
currently three interviews, waiting on seven.
Anyone have any idea how many people are interviewed at most programs? It seems from the interview options I am given that places are maybe only interviewing 25-35 people total.
currently three interviews, waiting on seven.
Waiting on 10, no interviews, no rejections (all in Southeast).
Called a few programs, they all said they were still reviewing apps and would be sending out invites in February.
As far as competitiveness, at least 2 programs applied to are now offering fewer spots than they previously said, so more apps for fewer spots.....
Has anyone seen this trend this year with ID programs cutting back on number of spots?
Not many posts lately.....any activity out there?
Called a few programs, they all said they were still reviewing apps and would be sending out invites in February.
As far as competitiveness, at least 2 programs applied to are now offering fewer spots than they previously said, so more apps for fewer spots.....
Has anyone seen this trend this year with ID programs cutting back on number of spots?
Not many posts lately.....any activity out there?
mostly quiet here too. Interview from BID came in snail mail this week, no email or ERAS. Heard from 6 of 10 now.
Has anyone heard from MGH/BWH?
Has anyone heard from MGH/BWH?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope, havent heard from MGH.
Now heard from Stanford, NYU, Sinai, BID, waiting for 4 more.
Now heard from Stanford, NYU, Sinai, BID, waiting for 4 more.
Got a MGH invite today.
likewise MGH today, waiting on UCSF. how many places will people interview? i'm looking at likely 3-4. any idea how many interviews programs offer per spot? i have no sense for that yet..
MGH invite here too, got it last friday. So far heard from everyone except UCSF and columbia. Anyone heard from columbia/ucsf recently? Are they one of the ones that dont even send a rejection?
Koch, I applied to 8, will interview at every one that gives me an invite... only, debating if I should go out to stanford, if no UCSF invite... west is further down the list, and dont know if I wanna make two trips.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 6K
- Replies
- 182
- Views
- 36K