2009-2010 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will you theoretically have a chance? Sure there are applicants every year who arent 100% complete until late in the cycle and get in, are the odds against you? yes they are. Applicants who are complete late but still get in typically are very strong, meaning 3.7+ GPA 34+ mcat, good ecs, etc etc...but if you really wanna apply dont let anyone tell you not too. Just realize things arent in your favor.

The hardest part about applying late is waiting to be verified by AMCAS. That hurdle would be covered if drwham applied early.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a college freshmen in 2006-2007 year. I took an AP class in high school 2004-2005. Do I still enter this AP as being taken in 2006-2007?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS asks "Have you ever taken a post-secondary course anywhere other than at your home institution, including college courses taken while in high school?"

What does that mean, i dont know if i should say yes or no. I did take CC courses in HS but they didnt count on my HS transcripts....man im so illiterate its sad, no wonder i got a 9 in verbal lol.

Would anyone mind looking over my list of work/activities if i PMed them to you? I feel like I have more than 15 I want to include, not including fluff. Maybe I'm including too much, or need to organize better.

Have you ever taken a post-secondary course anywhere other than at your home institution, including college courses taken while in high school?

What does that mean, i dont know if i should say yes or no. I did take CC courses in HS but they didnt count on my HS transcripts....man im so illiterate its sad, no wonder i got a 9 in verbal lol.

you should enter yes. I entered yes because I have AP credits.

Would anyone mind looking over my list of work/activities if i PMed them to you? I feel like I have more than 15 I want to include, not including fluff. Maybe I'm including too much, or need to organize better.

Choose 15 that were most meaningful to you. Only you know that.

I wouldnt mind though, im just an applicant myself so its not like im on a committee or have some great insight into what they are looking for. I agree with blu though only you know which 15 are really important/meaningful.

Last edited:
Do you guys think Plant Biology 10- "Plants, Agriculture, and Society" is a BCPM?

Yes, since it has the world biology in the title.

That's what I was thinking. But in the AMCAS handbook, it says list Agriculture courses under "Natural/Physical Sciences" section, not BCPM.:confused:

Wow, I can't believe it is that time of year again. gl

That's what I was thinking. But in the AMCAS handbook, it says list Agriculture courses under "Natural/Physical Sciences" section, not BCPM.:confused:

Both botany and ecology are listed under the Bio reqs as far as AMCAS is concerned so I think its safe to count that class as a bio class. Worst case scenario call AMCAS. I did that like 6 times today, granted they probably all hate me now...but w/e :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question:
Does anyone know how to handle current classes from an institution in which you have not previously been enrolled? Do I need to send a transcript to AMCAS showing that I am currently enrolled in a course at this institution, even though I won't receive a grade until August? The transcript would probably be blank except for indicating that I am enrolled in the class. Is this the accepted protocol? Or is there some other way of handling this?

This wouldn't be a problem if I had previously taken classes at the institution because the complete transcript that I send would probably include some indication that I was currently registered.
Thanks guys! Happy writing.:)

Hey so random question. How long and formal should the activities descriptions be? Should it read like it reads on my resume...or is it alright to inject a little humor in there. I really just want to make someone reading my app smile.

For instance....I was a tour guide so here's my draft description.

Led over 100 self-designed tours of "X-college" to prospective students over four years, hosted campus visitors and their family members in the waiting room before interviews, and collaborated with admissions officers on directly molding future classes and the admissions process itself. My admissions career started as a full-time summer intern following my freshman year and continues today as an alumni interviewer and volunteer. In addition to the many rewarding moments that come along with playing a part in someone's college decision process, my favorite admissions experience was once having a tour momentarily hijacked by student comedians dressed as pirates.

ON another note. If I studied abroad (foreign university, not run by a U.S. college/accepted) and my grades appear as P/F on my home university transcript (under the heading "Study Away") how should I add them to my courses section?

Hey so random question. How long and formal should the activities descriptions be? Should it read like it reads on my resume...or is it alright to inject a little humor in there. I really just want to make someone reading my app smile.

For instance....I was a tour guide so here's my draft description.

Led over 100 self-designed tours of "X-college" to prospective students over four years, hosted campus visitors and their family members in the waiting room before interviews, and collaborated with admissions officers on directly molding future classes and the admissions process itself. My admissions career started as a full-time summer intern following my freshman year and continues today as an alumni interviewer and volunteer. In addition to the many rewarding moments that come along with playing a part in someone's college decision process, my favorite admissions experience was once having a tour momentarily hijacked by student comedians dressed as pirates.

ON another note. If I studied abroad (foreign university, not run by a U.S. college/accepted) and my grades appear as P/F on my home university transcript (under the heading "Study Away") how should I add them to my courses section?

Should be okay. I wouldn't go crazy with the humor though.

I've read the instruction guide, but I'm still confused as to filling in AP courses/credit in the course work section. Can someone help me with an example of what I should be filling in/leaving blank and what I should be checking. Thanks.

When I'm listing my courses, does the course name have to be EXACTLY the same as listed in transcript?

For my calculus class, the title on the transcript says "Anal Geo & Calculus"
Now that looks weird.

Can't I not write out "Analytic Geometry & Calculus"?

I thin I'm being neurotic here.

how do i add cleveland clinic. do i put case a second time, and put in medical/graduate rather than just medical

I've read the instruction guide, but I'm still confused as to filling in AP courses/credit in the course work section. Can someone help me with an example of what I should be filling in/leaving blank and what I should be checking. Thanks.

For a 5 on the AP Calculus exam, I earned credit for Calculus 1 and 2 at my university (Math 135 and 136, respectively).

Year (first year in college): 2005-2006
Term: 1st (Fall Semester)
Year in School: Freshman
Course Number: Math 135
Course Title: Calculus I
Description: Math
Grade: P
Credits: 4.0

Then check the 'AP' box down below where you fill all the information out. I apologize if I didn't get the category names exactly correct, but you should be able to figure it out.

When I'm listing my courses, does the course name have to be EXACTLY the same as listed in transcript?

Now that looks weird.

Go ahead and write out the full title. They'll understand it, and they're not going to reject your application just because you expanded a little.

For a 5 on the AP Calculus exam, I earned credit for Calculus 1 and 2 at my university (Math 135 and 136, respectively).

Year (first year in college): 2005-2006
Term: 1st (Fall Semester)
Year in School: Freshman
Course Number: Math 135
Course Title: Calculus I
Description: Math
Grade: P
Credits: 4.0

Then check the 'AP' box down below where you fill all the information out. I apologize if I didn't get the category names exactly correct, but you should be able to figure it out.

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you wrote, but then on the AMCAS instruction guide, they talk about putting "AP" under the "course type" heading, and "equally distributing the credit" given for all AP exams. It's on page 49 of the instruction guide under the AP section. This is where I'm confused. So, I don't understand how this applies to what you wrote. Any help? :confused:

Now that looks weird.

I read somewhere in their 100+-page guide that if the course name doesn't fit, use a reasonable abbreviation. . . That one's pretty funny though

Phew! Course work, DONE

Now that looks weird.

amcas states you should enter it exactly as it appears on the transcripts. id just follow their lead.

"Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number in the
designated fields. If the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical
abbreviation."

I'm gonna put in the full title. I feel safer that way. I feel like things like ENGL COMP LIT is way too cryptic.

Last edited:
Do I really need to put all my work experiences on my work section? It would be like 6 activities of just jobs alone, none of those jobs are really medically relevant just boring stuff ive done to make sure my son can eat.....There is one job however id like to put on there. its sort of interesting, not in a good way more in like a wtf is that type of way, but it also was in another state, part of my secondaries and what I talk about in the interviews will deal with the time i spent in IL, I was thinking by adding the job i worked there maybe its a good segway into that? Or something that might catch an adcoms eye making them at least want to look a little more at my app? Or am i just overthinking this...

I am double major.
1) Will I be getting two degrees from College? good God that is a stupid question. But someone please clarify
2) If two degrees, then should I enter two degrees earned from college x.

One more...
I took college courses in High school. Not AP. But college couses offered by a community college through some program (College Now). Should I list it as a university I attended? If so, is it junior college or undergrad..
Sorry for the stupid ques

anyone else with a mac having trouble logging in? i had no issues on my PC at work earlier today. harrumph.

I am double major.
1) Will I be getting two degrees from College? good God that is a stupid question. But someone please clarify

I just put one degree with two majors, since both were BS degrees. I am still unsure if that was correct, but that's what I did. Does any one know if I did that correctly?

another really dumb question. :|

summer courses...what grade am i considered when i took them? for example, if i took a summer course the summer after my sophomore year, am i considered a sophomore or a junior? i would think junior but im just making sure.

^ use Firefox , not Safari.

For me, my main school, Berkeley, won't have final transcripts until June 15th. However, should I send/request my LACC and SMC courses from 3 years back to be sent to AMCAS even though I haven't submitted my primaries yet? Or should I wait to submit primaries first, and then submit my past summer school community college grades?

Oh and for those (Berkeley students for sure) who know about my major, Molecular Toxicology, I would probably add all my NST courses as either biology or chemistry as it is essentially an interdisciplinary study of the two subjects correct?

another really dumb question. :|

summer courses...what grade am i considered when i took them? for example, if i took a summer course the summer after my sophomore year, am i considered a sophomore or a junior? i would think junior but im just making sure.

summer is considered as part of the following school year. so you are a junior

i would think you WOULD put that you earned two degrees. when you graduate, you will have a bachelor's of whatever for each, right? if so, definitely.

I took a phlebotomy class at a local commnity college last summer. The class was not graded or anything, and I did not earn any credits etc. It was purely to learn how to draw blood. Is this something I need to have transcripts sent for? I would not think so but wanted to double check.

Here is a link to the class:
http://www.wccnet.edu/lifelong-learning/licensing-certification/view/type/phlebotomy-skills-professional/

I went through the trouble of getting a transcript last year from the technical college where I took my phlebotomy class. When my transcripts were verified, AMCAS said that this type of coursework is not meant to be verified and didn't factor it into my AMCAS GPA. I didn't receive a grade for the course. I would suppose that you only have to put in coursework you took at colleges or community colleges.

For me, my main school, Berkeley, won't have final transcripts until June 15th. However, should I send/request my LACC and SMC courses from 3 years back to be sent to AMCAS even though I haven't submitted my primaries yet? Or should I wait to submit primaries first, and then submit my past summer school community college grades?

Oh and for those (Berkeley students for sure) who know about my major, Molecular Toxicology, I would probably add all my NST courses as either biology or chemistry as it is essentially an interdisciplinary study of the two subjects correct?

yeah i'm using firefox. that's why i can't figure out what's going on. it just loads and loads forever.

thank you, GoBeers!

as for your question, i would submit your transcripts before you submit your primary. ive been told that AMCAS starts accepting transcripts may 14th. it can only cause you less stress to have everything submitted as early as possible, right?

I am double major.

You might want to check with your school. I have two majors and will be granted two degrees, but the two degree programs (one BS and one BA) are quite different.

DW, my firefox is WICKED slow, as well. do you have the latest version? when i re-downloaded the latest version and restarted my comp, it seemed to run a lot quicker.

For one of my activities , I'm putting that I'm an officer of a cultural club on campus. The club has a long name though, so should I just put "officer of **abbreviation of club*" for the title of the entry or just put Officer of On-Campus Club?? the second way seems a little tacky, but i don't think my club's abbreviation will be recognized by anyone

Hello guys and gals! I would be grateful if you would help me with a question regarding transcripts:

I am planning of taking post-baccalaureate courses from late-May through mid-October at North Carolina schools to fulfill prerequisite for some California schools. Since the courses have not even started yet, should I even bother inputting the NC schools data into AMCAS system?

I fear that AMCAS might reject my reason for not requesting transcript (i.e. future classes) and might decide to sit on my application until I complete post-bac courses and send the transcripts.

Of course, I intend to send the NC transcript to the CA schools that point out the prerequisite deficiency, but I will send them myself directly to those schools, and not through AMCAS. I would miss the chance of raising my GPA in the application, but the alternative of waiting until October to turn in the primary application seems foolish.

So, should I leave out the NC school data in AMCAS? Wouldn't that cause delay in the application process? And would such action result in the California schools chucking my application without even pointing out the deficiencies to me? Thank you for your help.

good evening everyone,
first and foremost, i hope all of you are doing swell with the first day of applications, i like most of you are a little bit intimidated by it. i had a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them:

i go to uc irvine and our bio affairs office has their own LOR program. i know that AMCAS has a list of schools that will only accept LORs from the AMCAS service. unfortunately, i have all my LORs in my file and I can't touch them - i also do not feel like harrassinng all my letter writers to tell them to send them. is it posssible to have our LOR service send my LOR packet to AMCAS (just like sending LORs from interfolio)? i personally think this switch to the AMCAS LOR service is unfortunate, do we HAVE to use it?

additionally, i took a college political science class in high school in place of my senior year government class; do I still have to send in that transcript to AMCAS to be verified? should i also assume that i have to send that transcript in addition to my uc irvine transcript (i dont understand what they mean when they say, "does AMCAS require a transcript from X school")

finally, do you have to fill all 3 criterias (when clicking "how do i know that i am disadvantaged") to be considered disadvantaged? [i certainly fit the first critera (the socially disadvantaged aspect)]

anyways, thank you very much for you consideration in reading my questions. i wish you all the best in applications. i'll be sure to add my 2 cents as well!

oh ok, about the double major thing. i wouldnt really know, that was just a guess. my school does not allow you to double major, and i do not know anyone who ever has.

I go to Cal and transcript actually comes out 6/11.

And you might want to checkout the AMCAS manual for NST courses.

Hello guys and gals! I would be grateful if you would help me with a question regarding transcripts:

I am planning of taking post-baccalaureate courses from late-May through mid-October at North Carolina schools to fulfill prerequisite for some California schools. Since the courses have not even started yet, should I even bother inputting the NC schools data into AMCAS system?

I fear that AMCAS might reject my reason for not requesting transcript (i.e. future classes) and might decide to sit on my application until I complete post-bac courses and send the transcripts.

Of course, I intend to send the NC transcript to the CA schools that point out the prerequisite deficiency, but I will send them myself directly to those schools, and not through AMCAS. I would miss the chance of raising my GPA in the application, but the alternative of waiting until October to turn in the primary application seems foolish.

So, should I leave out the NC school data in AMCAS? Wouldn't that cause delay in the application process? And would such action result in the California schools chucking my application without even pointing out the deficiencies to me? Thank you for your help.

I think you would still list your future courses on AMCAS. but on the bottom section just bubble out "current" course. i think that's what you're supposed to do. that way they'll know you're in the middle of summer courses and that you will eventually send follow up grades?

I go to Cal and transcript actually comes out 6/11.

And you might want to checkout the AMCAS manual for NST courses.

ya, i've checked. there's nothing about toxicology courses. screw it. I'm just gonna put biology for all of them. :D

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you wrote, but then on the AMCAS instruction guide, they talk about putting "AP" under the "course type" heading, and "equally distributing the credit" given for all AP exams. It's on page 49 of the instruction guide under the AP section. This is where I'm confused. So, I don't understand how this applies to what you wrote. Any help? :confused:

They're saying that if on your transcript, it doesn't give individual course names, that you should distribute the credit among the exams you've taken. For instance, I got 22 credits from 3 AP exams: US History, Physics, and Calculus. So, if I didn't have course names, I'd give 7 credits to US History, 7 to Physics, and 8 to Calculus (or something like that). If you have the course names, just enter it as my example above.

Do I really need to put all my work experiences on my work section? It would be like 6 activities of just jobs alone, none of those jobs are really medically relevant just boring stuff ive done to make sure my son can eat.....There is one job however id like to put on there. its sort of interesting, not in a good way more in like a wtf is that type of way, but it also was in another state, part of my secondaries and what I talk about in the interviews will deal with the time i spent in IL, I was thinking by adding the job i worked there maybe its a good segway into that? Or something that might catch an adcoms eye making them at least want to look a little more at my app? Or am i just overthinking this...

You can put in whatever work experience you want the adcoms to know about. You also don't have to put only things in that are medically relevant... adcoms do want to know that you're interested in something besides medicine. If you have something good to say about the experience, consider including it. If it was just a job you showed up to, then you probably shouldn't bother. Remember, you ONLY get 15 slots, no matter what, but you're not bound to filling up those slots. Far better to have 5 meaningful activities than 15 'fluffy' activities.

One more...
I took college courses in High school. Not AP. But college couses offered by a community college through some program (College Now). Should I list it as a university I attended? If so, is it junior college or undergrad..
Sorry for the stupid ques

List it as the college, it's junior college, and you took it while in high school, so the year in school would be high school. See page 25 and 26 of the instructions: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2010instructions041509.pdf

anyone else with a mac having trouble logging in? i had no issues on my PC at work earlier today. harrumph.

ive used fireefox on my mac all day and no problems yet

Status
Not open for further replies.