*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Merging Related Threads

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on my LORS (wasn't sure if I should post this here or in non-trad). I am essentially applying two years after I graduated from my undergrad (2009), and I plan on using the committee letter that I had composed for me then. Would it be absolutely necessary to get more recent LORS? I have been volunteering with my church since then, and definitely plan on writing about my experiences, but I don't really have a person (i.e. boss, overseer) to ask for a letter.

I did read somewhere that adcoms may be worried that a person might not be able to handle a heavy course load if she/he has been out of school for a while, but I did take the MCAT just last summer, if that is any indication...

Does anyone else have any experiences similar to this?
Thanks guys!

You will have to get new letters. Most programs will not accept letters that are more than 1 year old. Someone please correct me if I wrong though. Plus you will probably want your committee letter to reflect your most recent accomplishments. I would go back to the school you graduated from and see if they will write you a new letter, I know mine does for graduates no matter how long ago they were in school.

I don't think it should be much trouble for asking your writers to update the letters. All they'll really need to do is change some numbers around.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if you guys could clarify a little bit...

I mean, what would an update of the committee letter consist of?
I want my letters to reflect on my undergrad experiences, which at this point it does...and my volunteer work at church is kind of a separate thing that I'm doing right now, which I would rather talk more extensively about it in my PS.

Is the update more consisting of changing the dates? like BiopsychStudent is saying?

And can I please get some input on not being able to have letters that are more than one year old?? Because to me, this limit seems kinda small (and I can't find info on it on the med school websites), and then I'll be screwed, because where will I get other LORs to replace the ones from science profs/PI that I've known for years...

^some defininte answer/experience with this question will prevent me from freaking out :scared: (or I guess it can go the other way, haha) Sorry if I sound kinda neurotic...I started filling out my application now, and I never really thought that these LORS would be a problem

Asked by letter writer to draft a LOR for myself for them to sign. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

No, but according to SDN some people have been asked before

Yep, this happens all the time in the post-undergrad world. I drafted 2 of my own letters from my grad professors.

It sucks, but at least you know (about) what they're turning in, right?

My genetics professor made me do this as well and I am an udergrad so it is a common occurrence. They just want to make sure that they write you a nice LOR and really give the reader a sense that they know very well even if they kind of do not. So just take a week to write up a nice rough draft with what you want them to talk about in the real LOR and it will be fine. Good Luck!

Yeah my research PI asked me to do this since she's extremely busy. It's more common than you think. However, its a challenge in itself, as they want to see if you can write about your accomplishments and character without being too cocky.

I get that impression too. FYI, you and I are both applying to a lot of the same schools.

Yeah I had to do this last year for a PI I worked with one summer. In this case though, I think it was because he didn't think he could write in English very well because while I was working for him he asked me to proofread stuff for him a few times. Anyway, you just have to sell yourself without going too overboard, like other people said before. Don't worry about it being "authentic" or not though...the professor should have the opportunity to look it over before he/she signs it and sends it in so if they disagree with anything they can change it.

I'd get used to it though cause like lisi326 said it happens all the time in the professional/post-undergrad world. The real reason is lots of people are too lazy/don't have enough time to write out your recommendation letter, so they'll just have you write it and look it over before you sign it.

:thumbup: Good luck this app cycle! Maybe we'll run into each other at interviews! :xf:

Yeah, I'm in this boat too...had to write three out of the five drafts for LORs. The main problem I had is that there are only so many ways to say you’re awesome without coming off as a douche. At least I was able to provide my letter writers with how I wanted to be presented.

LOL you seem surprised

Doing that would scare me. Sure you will write good things, but maybe what you write won't actually read like a quality LOR. When I had my letter writers write their letters, I assumed that they had done it before and knew what to do to make a good letter. How long should it be? How many specifics and anecdotes should it include? Which of my attributes should it stress? I have no idea, but an experienced letter writer probably does. Do you know the answers to these questions?

I don't know specifics, but re-read your AMCAS application and think "what qualities of myself are not expressed or do I wish to emphasize?"

There was a lot about me that I left out of the PS, luckily my employer wrote a PS and let me give him talking points. This way I was able to use the LOR to cover any gaps I may have had in my application. (For example; if you lack leadership experience; find a way to work in the LOR that you have a certain leadership quality about yourself)

Merging with appropriate thread

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys let profs know about your impending application and progress throughout the application cycle (as common courtesy) even if you didn't end up using their LOR? I suppose in that situation it would be best to be upfront with them and let them know their letter wasn't used as well?

I would update them and thank them. I see no need to tell them you did not use their letter. I mean, if you are thanking the other writers, how hard is it to just change the professors name on the email and send it?

I wrote all of my letter writers a thank-you note with an update when I was accepted. If they wrote you a letter, they helped you out whether or not you used it. Just don't go to the other extreme and send them all huge gift cards or something like that. A single, simple letter or card is enough.

Unless you feel the need to, I don't think they'll care if you keep them informed. If they're curious they'll ask.

I'd keep them updated in the sense that you tell them once accepted. Don't both them with weekly updates or anything excessive like that, though, and, as others have suggested, DON'T tell anyone you didn't use their letter. That might come off a bit offensively and, really, there's nothing to be gained from it (but plenty to be lost -- you might need that person to help you out again in the future). As for gift cards and whatnot, I wouldn't suggest that BUT I'd totally suggest making something for them. One thing that works great is to make all of your LOR writers some sort of snack (e.g., a huge batch of cookies and give each letter writer a dozen). Along with said cookies, include a handwritten (NOT typed -- more personal) thank you. This will undoubtedly remind any lagging profs of your request as well.... (You think them even if they haven't actually submitted said letter yet. It's a nice way to remind them w/o seeming like you're nagging them.)

definitely don't tell someone that you didn't use their letter!

updating professors (once you are accepted) is a nice gesture ...writing a good LOR is a bit of work so it is nice for them to hear that their letter was well received. also if you are asking someone to write you a letter you presumably had some sort of extra contact with that professor so they might remember you. this might not be particularly true for large pre-med classes though where the prof writes letters for a few dozen premeds each year

As an MD/PhD applicant, I am wondering what you guys think about the value of a clinical/medical/physician letter of rec as opposed to a non-medical letter in the following situation:

For the final letter of a maximum of six letters, I am considering the following:

A letter from my volunteer coordinator at the local hospital (~100 hours clinical volunteering).
A letter from a doc I shadowed for some 20 hours.
A letter from the coordinator at a soup kitchen in which I volunteered for six years.

I believe the clinical and physician letter will probably be rather mediocre/generic, whereas the soup kitchen letter is excellent (it has helped me successfully in previous scholarship applications).

My question regards: Is it better to have a medically relevant letter that may be generic, or an outstanding letter outside the medical field?

I am of the opinion that a medical letter could better round out my application, since my other letters are from PIs and other professors; at the same time, I am sure the non-medical letter is of higher quality.

I would really appreciate your thoughts!

If you were going to include one of those letters, the one to use would be the one from the soup kitchen coordinator. A letter from someone who doesn't really know you (read: the other two) is borderline worthless.

A REAL clinical letter? Priceless.

One from a doc you shadowed? Worthless.

Should I ask a manager from a tutoring company for a LOR?

I currently have 5 LOR's from a previous cycle ( which includes 2 science lors+ 1 non science lor) As a reapplicant, I am expected to get another LOR. But isn't 5 LOR the max for most schools? I feel like my previous letters would be stronger than any new ones I could get. What should I do?

I'd vote for the soup kitchen letter.... the other two will be too generic and undistinguished from a million other letters. Six years of community service is something to draw attention to IMHO.

yea..if you really dont think the other two letters will be outstanding then i wouldnt use them. but you should prob talk to those people and ask them if they really think they can write you a GOOD letter of rec if not then dont use them but def use the soup kitchen letter of rec.

When the application asks "Is this letter from a school", does it count if the individual is a professor at the school/ PI who works on campus? Or is "from a school" meaning pre-health committee kind of thing?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering about this, too. Would appreciate some clarification. That question pops up after you select "Individual Letter".

As an MD/PhD applicant, I am wondering what you guys think about the value of a clinical/medical/physician letter of rec as opposed to a non-medical letter in the following situation:

For the final letter of a maximum of six letters, I am considering the following:

A letter from my volunteer coordinator at the local hospital (~100 hours clinical volunteering).
A letter from a doc I shadowed for some 20 hours.
A letter from the coordinator at a soup kitchen in which I volunteered for six years.

I believe the clinical and physician letter will probably be rather mediocre/generic, whereas the soup kitchen letter is excellent (it has helped me successfully in previous scholarship applications).

My question regards: Is it better to have a medically relevant letter that may be generic, or an outstanding letter outside the medical field?

I am of the opinion that a medical letter could better round out my application, since my other letters are from PIs and other professors; at the same time, I am sure the non-medical letter is of higher quality.

I would really appreciate your thoughts!

If you were going to include one of those letters, the one to use would be the one from the soup kitchen coordinator. A letter from someone who doesn't really know you (read: the other two) is borderline worthless.

A REAL clinical letter? Priceless.

One from a doc you shadowed? Worthless.

I'd vote for the soup kitchen letter.... the other two will be too generic and undistinguished from a million other letters. Six years of community service is something to draw attention to IMHO.

yea..if you really dont think the other two letters will be outstanding then i wouldnt use them. but you should prob talk to those people and ask them if they really think they can write you a GOOD letter of rec if not then dont use them but def use the soup kitchen letter of rec.

When the application asks "Is this letter from a school", does it count if the individual is a professor at the school/ PI who works on campus? Or is "from a school" meaning pre-health committee kind of thing?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering about this, too. Would appreciate some clarification. That question pops up after you select "Individual Letter".

Page 55 of the instruction manual: "Choose whether or not this letter will be sent from someone at a school." I take this to mean whether the letter writer is affiliated with a school and is writing in his or her capacity as a member of the school. This would encompass more than just committee letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, makes sense I guess. I wish these things would just be a little simpler. Thank you.

Question:

I am a little confused about the letter of recommendations. I see in the original post that you need so many science letters and non-science letters. However, my school has a committee that wrote my letter. Do I now have to get LORs from individual faculty members as well?

If your school writes a committee letter, do you also need to accompany that letter with individual professor letters? I feel like most school websites say you need a committee letter and usually a letter from a MD and possibly a employer.

Am I wrong?

Thank you for all your help!

Question:

I am a little confused about the letter of recommendations. I see in the original post that you need so many science letters and non-science letters. However, my school has a committee that wrote my letter. Do I now have to get LORs from individual faculty members as well?

If your school writes a committee letter, do you also need to accompany that letter with individual professor letters? I feel like most school websites say you need a committee letter and usually a letter from a MD and possibly a employer.

Am I wrong?

Thank you for all your help!

Usually it's an xor [nerd alert!] operation: either the committee letter or individual faculty letters, but not both, are required.

It depends on the school. I've called 5-6 schools regarding a similar situation, and got mixed answers.

For example, an NYC explicitly school stated anything in Public Health is a non-science (I even asked specifically about Epidemiology), whereas a Boston school stated its middle ground but wouldn't toss out an application with an Epidemiology letter as non-science. A Michigan school said its acceptable for non-science. A California school said firmly its a science, but accepted an EC letter as the "non-science".

Point is, it seems there is no black or white answer for courses in Public Health, regardless of how "math" or "statistics" heavy it may be. For those who are applying right now and are trying to swing it either way, it seems best just to call schools and hope they'll take it.

For future applicants, it seems that the *safe* bet really is getting science letters from BCPM, and choosing something that is definitely humanities for your non-science letter.

Merging related threads
(There should be a ? after science LOR)
The old threads I found on this question seemed to not have a really good answer and pertained more to health policy type classes.

I have had the following classes with this professor:

+ Health Promotion
+ Epidemiology
+ Community Health

She was also a supervisor for my first medical mission trip to Africa and I went with her on my second trip, so I would really like to use her letter - but would it count as a science letter?

I don't believe so. I also have a letter from a public health prof and I'm counting it as a non-science letter. I believe only BCPM classes count as science letters.

i dont think thats true
i've called up a couple schools and most accept a Prof. of Epidemiology as a science LOR...not a non-science...

in either case, i think its the quality of the LOR that matters more than anything...

I see a lot of people getting hung up on whether a letter counts as a science or non-science, moreso than whether the professor in question can actually say something meaningful about them.

Granted, I guess the only real way to find out how strict a school is about 2 science/1 non-science is to call them up and ask.

I agree that you should call the school and ask.

However, it does matter if the letter is science or non science, as some schools SPECIFICALLY ask for 2 science letters and 1 non science letter from professors. I guess since Epi is mostly statistical, it can count. It's on the border. Best bet would be to call.

It depends on the school. I've called 5-6 schools regarding a similar situation, and got mixed answers.

For example, an NYC explicitly school stated anything in Public Health is a non-science (I even asked specifically about Epidemiology), whereas a Boston school stated its middle ground but wouldn't toss out an application with an Epidemiology letter as non-science. A Michigan school said its acceptable for non-science. A California school said firmly its a science, but accepted an EC letter as the "non-science".

Point is, it seems there is no black or white answer for courses in Public Health, regardless of how "math" or "statistics" heavy it may be. For those who are applying right now and are trying to swing it either way, it seems best just to call schools and hope they'll take it.

For future applicants, it seems that the *safe* bet really is getting science letters from BCPM, and choosing something that is definitely humanities for your non-science letter.

a lot of schools i've personally called up (mostly top 25) say that Epidemiology professors will be okay as science letters....they also emphasized that the committee looks more at the content of the letter than anything else..

btw, if someone else calls up schools to ask about this, please let us know the response on this thread!

a lot of schools i've personally called up (mostly top 25) say that Epidemiology professors will be okay as science letters....they also emphasized that the committee looks more at the content of the letter than anything else..

btw, if someone else calls up schools to ask about this, please let us know the response on this thread!

I'm sure its fine then. Again, it differs from school to school and it can work both ways. FWIW, I called mostly top schools as well. I agree that its the content of the letter that's probably the most important.

My two points were:
1. Call the school if you're unsure
2. If you want to save yourself any unnecessary headache, follow the "traditional" guidelines.

I'm sure its fine then. Again, it differs from school to school and it can work both ways. FWIW, I called mostly top schools as well. I agree that its the content of the letter that's probably the most important.

My two points were:
1. Call the school if you're unsure
2. If you want to save yourself any unnecessary headache, follow the "traditional" guidelines.

plus, i think if you're a strong applicant, stats and EC wise, and your letters, which may not be from "science" faculty, speak highly of you, i doubt the committee will just throw out your app...

plus, i think if you're a strong applicant, stats and EC wise, and your letters, which may not be from "science" faculty, speak highly of you, i doubt the committee will just throw out your app...

... At the top 25 they can and they will. See NickNayler's mdapplicant he didnt even get an interview at Harvard or Stanford. If you give them reason they will take it. Better to play it safe and follow the traditional route.

... At the top 25 they can and they will. See NickNayler's mdapplicant he didnt even get an interview at Harvard or Stanford. If you give them reason they will take it. Better to play it safe and follow the traditional route.

I doubt that was the reason he didn't get an interview, but that's something you'll have to ask him yourself. I'm not sure how reassuring a personal anecdote is, but I know someone personally who was accepted at a Top 3 w/out a non-science letter (not even something borderline like Epi, all were BCPM) though the admissions requirements specifically asked for it.

In any case, check what the schools you're applying to require. I was under the impression, for most of my undergraduate career, that every school was 2 sci, 1 non-sci. Turns out for all but a few of the many schools I am applying to, a non-science isn't required. I called all of those schools, and was able to clear things up. The one school who's admissions office member that said no to my non-science letter specifically stated that my application won't be thrown out, and that its ultimately what is said in those letters. They're not planning on nitpicking who is from what department.

In any case, if LizzyM and Catalystik come by these threads, or anyone else who has served on an adcom, a professional opinion on this matter would be greatly appreciated! We are pre-meds, after all.

Hey guys, how long is a letter of recommendation usually supposed to be? 2 of my recommenders have uploaded to interfolio and I can't see the letters obviously since I waived my rights but it does tell you how many pages they are....one is 2 pages (90ish kb) and the other is one page (70ish kb)...are these the usual lengths?

it may be paranoid but I just didn't know if one page means a bad letter lol

Hey guys, how long is a letter of recommendation usually supposed to be? 2 of my recommenders have uploaded to interfolio and I can't see the letters obviously since I waived my rights but it does tell you how many pages they are....one is 2 pages (90ish kb) and the other is one page (70ish kb)...are these the usual lengths?

it may be paranoid but I just didn't know if one page means a bad letter lol

I think the rule of thumb is one page. Hopefully more than one paragraph. :)

Hi,

this might have been mentioned before, but about LORs from the two required science and 1 required non science professor, if your interactions with them are limited to talking about coursework, how will they be able to evaluate you effectively. Also, how early should you approach a professor to ask them for a LOR, since you might not have the PS and all the activities on your resume that you will have when it's time to apply.

For a non science professor, should we have taken more than one course with the professor? I had the same language teacher for more than a year, but I don't know how fluent she is in writing a LORs. What is the suggested level of interaction with an LOR writer? Some of my nonscience professors only teach a course or teach courses that are graduate level and out of my interest in that subject so I was wondering what I should do about that.

What qualities are adcoms looking for in lors from your course professors? leadership, active participation, motivation?

I'm worried that lors from professors might be too generic since there's only so much exposure we can get with them (office hours). i think that doing research with professors would be a better way, since they would have more to talk about as well...

Also I was wondering about the letter from a pi, can you include one from a PI with whom you did summer research with but only for one summer and a letter from a pi that you did one-two years of research with? the latter would know you better but what if you had a thesis for your summer research with the first pi ?

Last edited:
Is it highly recommended to get a letter from non-science professor? I basically didn't realize this until now. The thing is I'm not really connected to any of my non science professors, most of them don't remember me, being that I took all those classes early ( like3-4 yrs ago). Also I didnt see this requirement in a few schools web sites such as downstate, einstein. Please advise...

Hi i plan on sending to Amcas a "comitee letter". Can this include or is it recommended to send along with it a few indvidual letters such as from a science professor, research mentor, volunteer work etc. or what letters should be sent along with the comitee letter ? I know some will answer to ask my premed advisor/comitee , but i've already asked and he said that I would have to find out and let him know what I would like him to do.

Hi i plan on sending to Amcas a "comitee letter". Can this include or is it recommended to send along with it a few indvidual letters such as from a science professor, research mentor, volunteer work etc. or what letters should be sent along with the comitee letter ? I know some will answer to ask my premed advisor/comitee , but i've already asked and he said that I would have to find out and let him know what I would like him to do.

You can. I don't think it would hurt.

Thanks. Up to how many? and what should the additional letters usually be? Ie Science pfof,Pi, volunteer etc?

I would consider getting letters from people from a diverse set of fields/functions that you feel would give a strong, well-rounded, unified perspective on you as an individual. From whatever sources those happen to be, they happen to be.

At my school, pre-med students solicit recommendations and ask them to be sent to the pre-med office. In conjunction with the committee interview, these things provide the substance for the actual committee letter.

Admissions love good committee letters because they summarize your recommendations and highlight parts of your applications. The actual individual recommendations are attached to the end of your committee letter-- almost like a packet with the committee letter being the cover letter.

Quality > Quantity. I had one science, one humanities, one research, one from employer at hospital and one from another research mentor.

You can. I don't think it would hurt.

Thanks. Up to how many? and what should the additional letters usually be? Ie Science pfof,Pi, volunteer etc?

I would consider getting letters from people from a diverse set of fields/functions that you feel would give a strong, well-rounded, unified perspective on you as an individual. From whatever sources those happen to be, they happen to be.

At my school, pre-med students solicit recommendations and ask them to be sent to the pre-med office. In conjunction with the committee interview, these things provide the substance for the actual committee letter.

Admissions love good committee letters because they summarize your recommendations and highlight parts of your applications. The actual individual recommendations are attached to the end of your committee letter-- almost like a packet with the committee letter being the cover letter.

Quality > Quantity. I had one science, one humanities, one research, one from employer at hospital and one from another research mentor.

Merging with LOR Questions thread

I have waived the right to read all of my letters, but don't understand how to make that officially recognized by the schools that receive my letters. All of my letter writers are sending their letters directly to AMCAS. They know I have not read them. I know I have not read them. How does one communicate this (and thus confirm the value of the letters) to the medical schools? Is there some universal waiver form I should be mailing to AMCAS with my letters?

Last edited:
1) I have come to understand that some schools do not like to receive LORs prior to their secondary being given to you (mostly the University of California system). Are there any schools that anyone can think of off hand that would be wise to leave unassigned prior to the submission of the primary for this reason?

2) If you assign a letter packet to a school with your primary submission, but the letter packet has not yet arrived to AMCAS, does AMCAS automatically send it out to the schools selected immediately when they receive it in their system?

Last edited:
2) If you assign a letter packet to a school with your primary submission, but the letter packet has not yet arrived to AMCAS, does AMCAS automatically send it out to the schools selected immediately when they receive it in their system?

Yes, it will get dispatched to whatever schools you've designated at the time it is received. It will get sent out to any subsequent schools you designate.

I have waived the right to read all of my letters, but don't understand how to make that officially recognized by the schools that receive my letters. All of my letter writers are sending their letters directly to AMCAS. They know I have not read them. I know I have not read them. How does one communicate this (and thus confirm the value of the letters) to the medical schools? Is there some universal waiver form I should be mailing to AMCAS with my letters?

Confidentiality should already be understood and assumed by the medical schools participating in the AMCAS letters system.

Need advice:I have 5 letters from the 2010 cycle. 2 science prof , 1 non science prof. 1 from PI for research, and 1 from volunteer work.

I need to get a new letter for the 2011 cycle ( as recommended) as a reapplicant.

My first question is: Isn't 5 letters already hitting the max for most schools? If so how can I possible add another letter as a reapplicant? My letters from my PI and Volunteer work manager are very strong.

Second question: I have the option of getting a new letter from a nurse manager I have been working with for a year, or a tutoring manager for a company that I have been at for about 0.5 years. Both of them are not very good at English though.

My first question is: Isn't 5 letters already hitting the max for most schools? If so how can I possible add another letter as a reapplicant? My letters from my PI and Volunteer work manager are very strong.

Second question: I have the option of getting a new letter from a nurse manager I have been working with for a year, or a tutoring manager for a company that I have been at for about 0.5 years. Both of them are not very good at English though.

I had 2 science letters, 2 letters from my major (non-science), 1 from former P.I., 1 from former mentor, 1 from current P.I. That's 7 total, and no I do not think it hurt me to have that many. But then again, I'm pretty sure most of my letters were pretty strong. Even if your letter writers aren't great at English, make sure to ask for good, strong letters.

Hi, I hope this hasn't been answered yet!

When exactly do you assign letters to each of the medical schools you listed in AMCAS? Upon receiving secondaries?

Hi, I hope this hasn't been answered yet!

When exactly do you assign letters to each of the medical schools you listed in AMCAS? Upon receiving secondaries?

No, you can start doing that now, if you want. Be mindful that once you submit your application, the only changes that you can make to letters are to add school designations, add new letters, or to designate a letter as no longer being sent.

Cool, thanks! So, should I assign them now, or should I wait for the secondary? Or should I wait until they tell me to?

Last edited:
My school does a letter service, and sends in a packet containing all of the letters. This includes a pre-health committee letter as well. I only have 3 out of my 5 letters turned in, and the other 2 may not be turned in for another few weeks. Should I (can I) submit my AMCAS application and indicate 2 more letters, or should I just wait even if it means not submitting until mid/late June?

Cool, thanks! So, should I assign them now, or should I wait for the secondary? Or should I wait until they tell me to?

If you already know which schools you want to receive certain letters, I'd designate them already. The schools I'm aware of don't have any policies about when letters are accepted, but you should check with the schools you're applying to just to be on the safe side.

My school does a letter service, and sends in a packet containing all of the letters. This includes a pre-health committee letter as well. I only have 3 out of my 5 letters turned in, and the other 2 may not be turned in for another few weeks. Should I (can I) submit my AMCAS application and indicate 2 more letters, or should I just wait even if it means not submitting until mid/late June?

A packet counts as one letter in AMCAS, so you'd only have one entry for that packet. Since letters don't gate verification, you shouldn't let this hold up your submission.

So I have kinda posted a questions on this before but I have an updated dilemma I'm hoping someone will have insight on. I graduated in May 2010 from UC Berkeley, might apply this June if I get a great MCAT score (get the score in a week) or might wait until next year.

My Spanish professor and a Genetics professor both agreed to write me LORs. I think they will both be solid (the Spanish class was small and I did very well and the genetics TA loved me and wrote me an informal letter that the professor is going to use), but not amazing as I did not know either of them super well. I will also have very strong letters from an MD/PhD who I worked for as an intern at his lab for and my current work at a clinic.

My dilemma is that I have no other science professor that I even vaguely know to write me a letter. This is totally my fault for just being lazy and intimidated in undergrad (and not knowing I would end up wanting to apply to medical school). I have a letter from my OChem GSI that is very strong, but the professor that taught the class is out of the country and I can't get a hold of him to cosign.

Should I:
a) just send in the letter from the GSI with no cosign?
b) approach one of my old science professors (in whose class I got an A but I don't know at all), explain my situation and beg them to write me a letter?
c) risk it and just send in 2 letters from professors and hope the lab letter kinda makes up for the lack of a second science professor?
d) try to get an environmental science/ public health professor that I know slightly better (still not that well) to write me a letter and hope that this would take the place of a 2nd science letter?
e) take a community college science class sometime in the next year to get the letter (seems silly but at this point I am desperate)?

Oh and also, would it be weird to show a professor of a different class the letter from my OChem GSI (if I explained that I can't use it cause I can't find the professor of that class)? Not asking them to cosign it but kinda just as a thing they could use when writing their letter?

Thanks in advance!

Hey fellow Bear :)

Honestly I would go all-out for the Orgo professor since you said that was a strong letter. Talk to the department and see if anything can be done to get the co-sign. (I was a Chem major and the chem department is usually very helpful and responsive)

Best of luck!

ooo that's a good idea. I'll check in with the chem dept tomorrow.

Looks like a pentalemma to me. Good luck OP

ooo that's a good idea. I'll check in with the chem dept tomorrow.

Hey fellow Bear :)

Honestly I would go all-out for the Orgo professor since you said that was a strong letter. Talk to the department and see if anything can be done to get the co-sign. (I was a Chem major and the chem department is usually very helpful and responsive)

Best of luck!

So I have kinda posted a questions on this before but I have an updated dilemma I'm hoping someone will have insight on. I graduated in May 2010 from UC Berkeley, might apply this June if I get a great MCAT score (get the score in a week) or might wait until next year.

My Spanish professor and a Genetics professor both agreed to write me LORs. I think they will both be solid (the Spanish class was small and I did very well and the genetics TA loved me and wrote me an informal letter that the professor is going to use), but not amazing as I did not know either of them super well. I will also have very strong letters from an MD/PhD who I worked for as an intern at his lab for and my current work at a clinic.

My dilemma is that I have no other science professor that I even vaguely know to write me a letter. This is totally my fault for just being lazy and intimidated in undergrad (and not knowing I would end up wanting to apply to medical school). I have a letter from my OChem GSI that is very strong, but the professor that taught the class is out of the country and I can't get a hold of him to cosign.

Should I:
a) just send in the letter from the GSI with no cosign?
b) approach one of my old science professors (in whose class I got an A but I don't know at all), explain my situation and beg them to write me a letter?
c) risk it and just send in 2 letters from professors and hope the lab letter kinda makes up for the lack of a second science professor?
d) try to get an environmental science/ public health professor that I know slightly better (still not that well) to write me a letter and hope that this would take the place of a 2nd science letter?
e) take a community college science class sometime in the next year to get the letter (seems silly but at this point I am desperate)?

Oh and also, would it be weird to show a professor of a different class the letter from my OChem GSI (if I explained that I can't use it cause I can't find the professor of that class)? Not asking them to cosign it but kinda just as a thing they could use when writing their letter?

Thanks in advance!
Merging with Official LOR Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.