Midwestern, CCP (c/o 2018)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkong

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi applying class,

Here's a thread for Midwestern CCP Class of 2018! If you have any questions, go ahead and ask!

I'll be going into my third year and I'm from California.

Best of luck!

p.s. some resource...
Last year's SDN thread:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=947581
Class of 2016 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=849602
Class of 2015 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=763981

Members don't see this ad.

Hi applying class,

Here's a thread for Midwestern CCP Class of 2018! If you have any questions, go ahead and ask!

Best of luck!

p.s. some resource...

Thanks for the feedback on the other thread!

Hi applying class,

Best of luck!

p.s. some resource...

Quick question: Im looking to take a couple classes in the Fall to boost my GPA. If I dont apply until December do I still have a chance of getting in being that its a little later? Or do you recommend me apply then just update my pharm cas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question: Im looking to take a couple classes in the Fall to boost my GPA. If I dont apply until December do I still have a chance of getting in being that its a little later? Or do you recommend me apply then just update my pharm cas?

It all depends on your stats. I submitted my pharmcas in December, it was reviewed by January. I got an interview for February 13, and I got accepted soon after :) So definitely it is possible, but as I mentioned... it depends on your stats. My suggestion is to apply early if you can. Even if you don't get accepted right away they review all of the incoming material, and you can get in once they got your improved grades. Good luck!

Hey everyone, so I am applying for the Fall 2014 admission cycle at Midwestern CCP. I am going to be a senior at the University of Iowa. Because I am originally from the Chicagoland area, I established residency in the state of Iowa for in-state tuition. Anyways my gpa at the end of this summer term will be about a 2.55 or so and I am taking the PCAT July 18. Im studying a lot for that so I am hoping my gpa stoop can be over looked with other aspects of my application. I have been a pharmacy technician at Wal-Mart Pharmacy for about a year now, and prior to that I worked in a Medical Research Lab as a Research Assistant for two years. I have had many extra curicular leadership positions and have been involeved in the science world here on campus. I plan on submitting my application as soon as my summer grades are done, since midwestern is rolling admissions.
I know this was a lot of rambling but do you guys think I have a good shot?
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm curious to know why your gpa is so low.

When I was establishing residency in the state I could only be a part time student and i was working most of the time. Thus, only 2 classes in a semester with low grades = low gpa = brought my cumulative down. ever since i have had drastic improvement in my grades but it's taken a while to bring my gpa up.

When I was establishing residency in the state I could only be a part time student and i was working most of the time. Thus, only 2 classes in a semester with low grades = low gpa = brought my cumulative down. ever since i have had drastic improvement in my grades but it's taken a while to bring my gpa up.
I would say to stop working and focus on bringing your gpa up and retake some of those classes you got C's in (especially the prereqs), finish up your Bachelor's, and do really well on your PCAT. IMO from looking at the stats from your other post, I don't think it would be a good idea applying this round. It's great having experience under your belt, but pharmacy schools wants to see that you can handle the work load of pharmacy school b/c it's going to be a lot harder than undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user

Considering the earliest deadlines set by some schools are Nov 1, I personally would apply and update the PharmCAS. Unfortunately when it comes to deadlines, it's a numbers game. The earlier you send in your app, the better your chances of getting an interview. I'm a firm believer that as long as you get invited to an interview, you've won majority of the battle because you have the most control of the situation (even though it doesn't seem like it).

Hey everyone, so I am applying for the Fall 2014 admission cycle at Midwestern CCP. I am going to be a senior at the University of Iowa. Because I am originally from the Chicagoland area, I established residency in the state of Iowa for in-state tuition. Anyways my gpa at the end of this summer term will be about a 2.55 or so and I am taking the PCAT July 18. Im studying a lot for that so I am hoping my gpa stoop can be over looked with other aspects of my application. I have been a pharmacy technician at Wal-Mart Pharmacy for about a year now, and prior to that I worked in a Medical Research Lab as a Research Assistant for two years. I have had many extra curicular leadership positions and have been involeved in the science world here on campus. I plan on submitting my application as soon as my summer grades are done, since midwestern is rolling admissions.
I know this was a lot of rambling but do you guys think I have a good shot?
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

I believe everyone has a shot, some more than others. Yes your GPA is low but I'm sure there's a good reason for that. First of all, thank you for sharing your GPA. It's not easy sharing it sometimes.

Since you're in your final year of undergrad, if you have time please consider re-taking some of your courses. SHOW the admissions committee that you acknowledge your shortcomings and you're doing something about it. :thumbup:

In your apps, highlight your experiences. Those are your strengths. I'm a strong believer that schools are looking for well-roundedness candidates and not just books and GPA candidates.

Don't be afraid to submit your application before you finish summer grades. There is an option to update it later and like I responded to another poster above, the earlier you submit, the better your chances.

Jkong, have you seen students accepted with less than a 3.0 GPA? For example, a 2.8 or so?

My GPA was a 2.83, and I was accepted to 3 pharmacy schools last year, including Midwestern University. It is definitely possible!

My GPA was a 2.83, and I was accepted to 3 pharmacy schools last year, including Midwestern University. It is definitely possible!

What was your pcat composite score?

My second PCAT composite score was a 70, way better than my first one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!
I just submitted the supplemental application for Midwestern University. Do you know when they start sending interviews invitations?
Best of luck for everyone.

Hey everyone!
I just submitted the supplemental application for Midwestern University. Do you know when they start sending interviews invitations?
Best of luck for everyone.
According to admissions, all I got was "fall" and that they have not reviewed applications yet. However, if you look at the previous forum threads, it looks like historically the first round of invites goes out the first week of September.

Do you have to wait on an invitation to fill out a supplemental or do you just go online and fill one out?

Do you have to wait on an invitation to fill out a supplemental or do you just go online and fill one out?
Have you already completed PharmCAS? Once you pay for submission in PharmCAS, they will contact the schools you have specified who will, in turn, contact you. I have only applied to MWUCCP and UIC (Midwestern is first choice), and I got an email within a day that they have received my application and that I meet their minimum requirements. The email also contained log-in information for MWU net, which I set up and logged into, and that is where the supplemental application is. You fill it out, pay the fee, and wait for the interview invite after the supplemental is completed and received.

UIC also sent me an email to announce they had received my PharmCAS but their admissions apparently don't send out supplementals until September according to their email.

Also, be sure to have a CV or resume handy. You'll need to upload that as part of the supplemental application.

I'm applying to midwestern. My application will hopefully be mailed out this Monday from pharmcas.
My stats are
3.34 science GPA
3.37 non science gpa
72 composite PCAT (took last year)
B.S. Biomedical Sciences minor Biomedical Physics

Hope I get an interview

I'm applying to midwestern. My application will hopefully be mailed out this Monday from pharmcas.
My stats are
3.34 science GPA
3.37 non science gpa
72 composite PCAT (took last year)
B.S. Biomedical Sciences minor Biomedical Physics

Hope I get an interview

Ur stats are good but at the same time ur in that "expected avg" range for top schools. I personally think u will get in but in order to be 100% sure u gonn have one thing one ur resume that sets u apart from the others. Anyways thats.my two cents... im sure u will do well tho.

Ur stats are good but at the same time ur in that "expected avg" range for top schools. I personally think u will get in but in order to be 100% sure u gonn have one thing one ur resume that sets u apart from the others. Anyways thats.my two cents... im sure u will do well tho.

Thanks. Yea this isn't my top school (mostly just because of the price) but I'd love to go here if I didn't get into my top

Hey everyone !
Has anybody got an interview invitation yet?
It seems that the Glendale campus already started sending interviews....

Hey everyone !
Has anybody got an interview invitation yet?
It seems that the Glendale campus already started sending interviews....
Not yet. Hopefully they do some of them today or next week, I'm getting antsy.

I received an interview invite today. I only had one option (Oct 18). For those of you waiting, check your email.

I received an interview invite today as well!

Kind of surprised that only one date is offered

I got an interview too. I live in IL and it's the same date Oct 18.
I think they will post more days as soon as this one fills up.

I received an invite for the 18th as well. I also live in IL. :)

Jkong, have you seen students accepted with less than a 3.0 GPA? For example, a 2.8 or so?

What was your pcat composite score?

Yes, I had a 2.6 pharmcas gpa and 76 pcat. KEEP IN MIND that there's more to a candidate than just gpa and pcat. If there's any advice you can take away from me, it's not let gpa and pcat scores deter you from applying to pharmacy school.

- volunteer/work at a pharmacy
- retake poor courses
- leadership development
- network and learn from pharmacy leaders

Good luck :luck:

Hello,

I wondering if I have a chance in getting accepted. I have Bachelor in Science from Loyola ( Molecular Biology and minor in Chemistry) with a GPA 3.56. I have completed my first two years at a community college and from there I have 3.7 GPA. I have completed my PharmCas application, but have not submitted it yet. I also took the PCAT two days ago and did poorly ( analogies- 21, reading-43, math- 51, bio-74, and chem-93), composite 64.
I have three years of undergraduate research experience in chemistry, and I participated in the national undergraduate conference of undergrad research last year. I also, have year and a half experience as a chemistry technician from a lab, and I am currently working as a research and development assistant at a medical company. I have a feeling I have good recommendation letters, too. it is just that my PCAT score is so low.

Hello,

I wondering if I have a chance in getting accepted. I have Bachelor in Science from Loyola ( Molecular Biology and minor in Chemistry) with a GPA 3.56. I have completed my first two years at a community college and from there I have 3.7 GPA. I have completed my PharmCas application, but have not submitted it yet. I also took the PCAT two days ago and did poorly ( analogies- 21, reading-43, math- 51, bio-74, and chem-93), composite 64.
I have three years of undergraduate research experience in chemistry, and I participated in the national undergraduate conference of undergrad research last year. I also, have year and a half experience as a chemistry technician from a lab, and I am currently working as a research and development assistant at a medical company. I have a feeling I have good recommendation letters, too. it is just that my PCAT score is so low.
To be honest with you, your stats look fine and I think the fact you've completed a Bachelor's and have had research experience is a wonderful way to round out your PCAT score. LORs are obviously very important as well - drilled into me by someone who served on adcoms - and if you feel yours are strong, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Most people realize that aptitude tests aren't a good predictor of academic success. If you're passionate about pharmacy and you're ready to apply, I see no reason why you should doubt your stats.

Good luck.

ETA: Your chem is excellent and bio is good, the others - if we're honest - are quite difficult when you're losing time.

Last edited:
I submitted my supplemental 09/12/2013 and received an invite yesterday for an interview on October 25th, so I am guessing this is their 2nd interview date and assume that the first is filled up :C

Good luck to everyone interviewing/applying :)

Congrats everyone for their interviews. See you guys at the 18th!!!!!

Question here.
I am planning on taking the Nov Pcat and do my pharmcas by that time.
With the way the app process and timing (deadlines) are set up, I can still apply this cycle, right?
Will be late for sure, but still with in the cycle?

I have a B.S
finishing up organic II
and studying for the pcat.

Thanks.

Question here.
I am planning on taking the Nov Pcat and do my pharmcas by that time.
With the way the app process and timing (deadlines) are set up, I can still apply this cycle, right?
Will be late for sure, but still with in the cycle?

I have a B.S
finishing up organic II
and studying for the pcat.

Thanks.
They have rolling admissions, so yes. When I applied, things happened very quickly - PharmCAS verified my transcripts, my schools received electronic notification within 24 hours of my submitting PharmCAS, and I got invited to do my supplemental within a few business days. Hopefully that experience continues throughout the cycle, the only delay I found was waiting for my updated transcripts to be received by PharmCAS. Good luck. If you check prior threads, you can try to gauge the typical admissions timelines. Some people were accepted in the spring, and some in the summer of the year of matriculation.

Thanks so much for that

For anyone who is interviewing over the next few weeks. One of my friends is a recent grad and she helps out with the interview process. She gave me the following tips.

- Be yourself. Definitely do your research on different questions asked during interviews but don't be too rehearsed when you deliver your response. We can tell if an answer/response is sincere or not.

- There are different categories of questions that we ask (situational based such as working in groups, time management etc.) Think of different and SPECIFIC situations/experiences that you have had and be able to explain the situation briefly and what you learned from it and how it can possibly help you in pharmacy school. Basically I would use the following format when answering a question: Describe the situation BRIEFLY + what did you do about it + what was the outcome + how can that experience help you in pharmacy school

- Dress professional (I know this seems obvious but trust me to some people it isnt. My husband conducts admission interviews for UIC pharmacy school and he had one student arrive to an interview in jeans)

- MWU interviews work differently in the fact that it is a "group interview." Pay attention to your body language during the interview especially when others are talking. The interviewers definitely take note of that. And be respectful when others are giving their response (basically do not cut people off.. I have seen some people do this and it's not professional)

For anyone who is interviewing on the 25th, i will see you there!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info! I'm interviewing on the 18th, so now that it's October, I'm starting to get super nervous! Good luck with your interview :)

For anyone who is interviewing over the next few weeks. One of my friends is a recent grad and she helps out with the interview process. She gave me the following tips.

- Be yourself. Definitely do your research on different questions asked during interviews but don't be too rehearsed when you deliver your response. We can tell if an answer/response is sincere or not.

- There are different categories of questions that we ask (situational based such as working in groups, time management etc.) Think of different and SPECIFIC situations/experiences that you have had and be able to explain the situation briefly and what you learned from it and how it can possibly help you in pharmacy school. Basically I would use the following format when answering a question: Describe the situation BRIEFLY + what did you do about it + what was the outcome + how can that experience help you in pharmacy school

- Dress professional (I know this seems obvious but trust me to some people it isnt. My husband conducts admission interviews for UIC pharmacy school and he had one student arrive to an interview in jeans)

- MWU interviews work differently in the fact that it is a "group interview." Pay attention to your body language during the interview especially when others are talking. The interviewers definitely take note of that. And be respectful when others are giving their response (basically do not cut people off.. I have seen some people do this and it's not professional)

That's very helpful and certainly true. I was told the interview is also 'closed file', so they only have your supplemental and CV/resume. Good luck to everyone, I know the 18th is coming up pretty fast for those of us in that group. :)

I received an interview invite today. I only had one option (Oct 18). For those of you waiting, check your email.

I also have an interview scheduled for that day at Midwestern Chicago!!! Cant wait to see you there

I got an interview too. I live in IL and it's the same date Oct 18.
I think they will post more days as soon as this one fills up.

I got one for the 18th as well and I am in Phoenix. Will be flying in to see my family in Wisconsin as well

Weird? anyone else got invited for interviews without filing out a supplemental app? All I received was a email to make an account and 2 days later an interview invitation?

Weird? anyone else got invited for interviews without filing out a supplemental app? All I received was a email to make an account and 2 days later an interview invitation?

Weird... Are you actually able to schedule the interview in your portal? Also, I've read in that in past years (creeper alert) that MWU pretty much "grants anyone an interview as long as you meet the minimum"...I personally don't know how true this is, because the school's site alludes to them reviewing your file and THEN selecting cantidates that they think they should interview, but I digress.

Anyways, congrats on the interview invite regardless! :)

Thank you very much for the info:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah, I was able to sign up for an interview time, but sadly the dates offered conflicts with my other interviews, so ill have to wait till more slots open, hopefully in November. Regardless, Ill probably give them a call to make sure I'm not missing anything, but thanks for the response.