I saw an Osteopath on TV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pembleton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Larry David's uncle on "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is an osteopathic doctor.

The show neglected to mention that an osteopath is a practicing physician but that wasn't the point of the character either. Larry was at a victims of abuse support group and to fit in he claimed his uncle, the osteopath, had molested him. Of course it wasn't true but it did make for some fine comedy.

Members don't see this ad.

hey, the AOA wanted osteopaths on TV, they didn't say how they wanted them on TV ;)

jonb12997 said:
hey, the AOA wanted osteopaths on TV, they didn't say how they wanted them on TV ;)

Apparently the winner of Big Brother 2 back in 2001 is a D.O.

(he wrote an editorial in "The D.O.")

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
Apparently the winner of Big Brother 2 back in 2001 is a D.O.

(he wrote an editorial in "The D.O.")

Yeah, I read that letter by Dr. Kirby and it was total self-promotion on his TV projects. Nauseating.

how do you explain to the lay person what an osteopath doc is? "we're just like MDs except..... ?" the next question would be why have 2 kinds of doc?

peehdee said:
how do you explain to the lay person what an osteopath doc is? "we're just like MDs except..... ?" the next question would be why have 2 kinds of doc?

"we're just like MDs except.....more fun to be around"

curb your enthusiasm is a british comedy right? british osteopath is different than a US DO. they're basically restricted to the practice of OMM, physio, rehab, etc. similar to a PT.

ok, never mind, i was thinking of a different, if it happens in LA its not a british comedy. but if it were, that would be something to think about.

PublicEnemy said:
curb your enthusiasm is a british comedy right? british osteopath is different than a US DO. they're basically restricted to the practice of OMM, physio, rehab, etc. similar to a PT.

ok, never mind, i was thinking of a different, if it happens in LA its not a british comedy. but if it were, that would be something to think about.

The guy that created it also collaborated with Jerry Seinfeld on Seinfeld. He is a Jewish-American.
I've only watched the show once or twice, but I'm pretty sure its American. I think its just the show ripping on the osteopathic physicians. Why would it be any more forgiveable if they were ripping on british osteopaths? Pretty funny, actually. I think its silly that the AOA wants to make the DO degree more notable by having a show to make it popular (Marcus Welby, DO). Hah! Who friggin' cares?

yposhelley said:
I think its just the show ripping on the osteopathic physicians.

Well, he wasn't ripping osteopaths at all.

It was more like, "Hi, this my uncle, the osteopath."

Just the same way you'd introduce him if he was an accountant...

Pembleton said:
Well, he wasn't ripping osteopaths at all.

It was more like, "Hi, this my uncle, the osteopath."

Just the same way you'd introduce him if he was an accountant...

"Hi, this is my uncle, the osteopath (the sociopath child molestor)." I don't know, I didn't watch the show, I'm just going on what I heard from you, but it sounds like he was ripping on the use of the word "osteopath". Its pretty antiquated.

"Osteopath" just sounds funny. I cringe whenever people refert to DOs as osteopaths. We don't refer to MDs as allopaths with anywhere near such a frequency. I'd rather be referred to as "bone doctor", that sounds a LOT cooler. If I were called "bone doctor", I would wear a bone necklace and shake around special ritualistic tools before starting OMM on my patients (I think this would add authenticity). :D

yposhelley said:
"Hi, this is my uncle, the osteopath (the sociopath child molestor)." I don't know, I didn't watch the show, I'm just going on what I heard from you, but it sounds like he was ripping on the use of the word "osteopath". Its pretty antiquated.

It was played for laughs. :)

Trust me. He wasn't ripping the profession at all. He wanted to fit in with the support group and made up an outrageous lie. His uncle wasn't even supposed to be around.

At the end of the episode, Larry forgets he had told this lie and introduces his uncle (who is now in town) to someone in the support group. She gets mad and proceeds to beat up on him.

You got to see it. It's actually funny.

Pembleton said:
It was played for laughs. :)

Trust me. He wasn't ripping the profession at all. He wanted to fit in with the support group and made up an outrageous lie. His uncle wasn't even supposed to be around.

At the end of the episode, Larry forgets he had told this lie and introduces his uncle (who is now in town) to someone in the support group. She gets mad and proceeds to beat up on him.

You got to see it. It's actually funny.

It sounds funny. The two times I watched that show, I laughed so hard. Too bad I don't have cable. What night is it on, btw?

yposhelley said:
It sounds funny. The two times I watched that show, I laughed so hard. Too bad I don't have cable. What night is it on, btw?

This episode was from a years ago. I caught the replay over Thanksgiving. I miss HBO.
:(

Members don't see this ad :)
yposhelley said:
"Osteopath" just sounds funny. I cringe whenever people refert to DOs as osteopaths. We don't refer to MDs as allopaths with anywhere near such a frequency. I'd rather be referred to as "bone doctor", that sounds a LOT cooler. If I were called "bone doctor", I would wear a bone necklace and shake around special ritualistic tools before starting OMM on my patients (I think this would add authenticity). :D

Funny you should say this. I just had a conversation with one of my friends about this very topic. He's been totally supportive of me during this whole process and is having a running countdown of how many days until I'm a doctor.

He mentioned that "osteopath" sounds dubious...like sociopath and psychopath.

Why can't we just go by "physician"? He calls me "Doc" and has since I was 18.

This sort of ties into the thread about what we should be called as medical students.

"I'm student doctor Lizzy, the future osteopath/psychopath/sociopath."

I'm still amused when I see office door of the psycho-the-rapist.

EMTLizzy said:
Funny you should say this. I just had a conversation with one of my friends about this very topic. He's been totally supportive of me during this whole process and is having a running countdown of how many days until I'm a doctor.

He mentioned that "osteopath" sounds dubious...like sociopath and psychopath.

Why can't we just go by "physician"? He calls me "Doc" and has since I was 18.

This sort of ties into the thread about what we should be called as medical students.

"I'm student doctor Lizzy, the future osteopath/psychopath/sociopath."

I'm still amused when I see office door of the psycho-the-rapist.

Ha ha. I think most people call us DOs. I would just say I'm a medical student, and leave the osteopathic part off-simply because its too much to say-maybe I could say "DO" medical school, thats not too hard. MD students don't say they are allopathic medical students everytime. If they ask "what kind of doctor" I'll say family practice, a DO. If they are really curious about what a DO is, I'll get into it with them. But most people just want to know what your specialty is, they don't want the history of osteopathic medicine. As a DO, I feel like my credentials speak for themselves, and I'm not going to get into the differences between MDs and DOs everytime someone asks what a DO is. This is my phrase "a DO is a doctor, with additional training in OMM."

a few seasons ago Jackie Jr. talked about it for a second, how he didn't think he could even get into osteopath school

floweree said:
a few seasons ago Jackie Jr. talked about it for a second, how he didn't think he could even get into osteopath school

Which one was Jackie Jr again? They probably wouldn't let him into any medical school, given the criminal backgrounds of most of the characters on that show.

yposhelley said:
If I were called "bone doctor", I would wear a bone necklace and shake around special ritualistic tools before starting OMM on my patients (I think this would add authenticity). :D

LOL !!! I'll have to try that during my next OMM practical...

yposhelley said:
Which one was Jackie Jr again? They probably wouldn't let him into any medical school, given the criminal backgrounds of most of the characters on that show.

The Sopranos, season 47
Season Premire

Plot: Dr. Big *****, DO begins his osteopathic internship.

Scene 1. BP walks into an exam room where a 76 y/o female waits patiently for him.

Old Woman: Oh Doctor! I'm so glad you're here. I've been having this nagging lower back pain for the past three weeks. Someone told me you'd be able to help me.

BP: Who the f*** you been talkin' to B****? Huh? Tell me you f****** b****!

Old Woman: N-nobody, I mean, well, Dolores at the women's club told me about the kind of doctor you are and..

::Big ***** grabs the Old Woman and puts her in a choke hold::

BP: You want me to give you a cranial manipulation b****? I'll know how to rearrange your skull bones. Dolores don't know nuthin about who I am. You hear me? You don't listen to people like her. She's nuthin! Her sacrum was so out of wack I don't know how she could walk. Why you listening to people like that?

Old Woman: I just wanted you to help with my lower back pain. But...oh, my neck! my neck! Aren't you a bone doctor? I thought you could help me!

BP: I'm f***ing tired of people calling me a "bone doctor". I get the same training as my MD colleagues, but get additional training in OMM. Don't you know what a DO is you slut?

::Big ***** throws the woman down on the table and in a few swift moves sets her back right again::

Old Woman: Oh, thank you doctor!

BP: You talk to no one. NO ONE! You hear me? Or I'll never do that for you again.

This explains why there's a Seinfeld episode where Kramer explains to George that he doesn't carry a wallet because "my osteopath says it throws my hips off kilter." Anyone remember where that scene takes place? That was one of my favorite episodes!

someone has a lot of time

EMTLizzy said:
The Sopranos, season 47
Season Premire

Plot: Dr. Big *****, DO begins his osteopathic internship.

Scene 1. BP walks into an exam room where a 76 y/o female waits patiently for him.

Old Woman: Oh Doctor! I'm so glad you're here. I've been having this nagging lower back pain for the past three weeks. Someone told me you'd be able to help me.

BP: Who the f*** you been talkin' to B****? Huh? Tell me you f****** b****!

Old Woman: N-nobody, I mean, well, Dolores at the women's club told me about the kind of doctor you are and..

::Big ***** grabs the Old Woman and puts her in a choke hold::

BP: You want me to give you a cranial manipulation b****? I'll know how to rearrange your skull bones. Dolores don't know nuthin about who I am. You hear me? You don't listen to people like her. She's nuthin! Her sacrum was so out of wack I don't know how she could walk. Why you listening to people like that?

Old Woman: I just wanted you to help with my lower back pain. But...oh, my neck! my neck! Aren't you a bone doctor? I thought you could help me!

BP: I'm f***ing tired of people calling me a "bone doctor". I get the same training as my MD colleagues, but get additional training in OMM. Don't you know what a DO is you slut?

::Big ***** throws the woman down on the table and in a few swift moves sets her back right again::

Old Woman: Oh, thank you doctor!

BP: You talk to no one. NO ONE! You hear me? Or I'll never do that for you again.

i like your response. i think its silly to say, 'he's an osteopath', or 'he's a DO'. i am not sure if i buy into the whole OMM thing but regardless, there are plenty of MD graduates who have the 'gpa, mcat' as the DO applicants (on average), so i don't see why MD graduates would have anymore insight than DOs. besides, medical school is about memory and being able to follow instructions, a glorified technician if you will. so an average person should be able to complete it (if they were willing to put the time). i can't say that about say, cosmology or quantum field theory, not everyone can do it.

so people who have MD dont' sa, i'm an allopath so why should osteopaths say that?

btw i'm an allopath (just to clarify)

yposhelley said:

peehdee said:
i like your response. i think its silly to say, 'he's an osteopath', or 'he's a DO'. i am not sure if i buy into the whole OMM thing but regardless, there are plenty of MD graduates who have the 'gpa, mcat' as the DO applicants (on average), so i don't see why MD graduates would have anymore insight than DOs. besides, medical school is about memory and being able to follow instructions, a glorified technician if you will. so an average person should be able to complete it (if they were willing to put the time). i can't say that about say, cosmology or quantum field theory, not everyone can do it.

so people who have MD dont' sa, i'm an allopath so why should osteopaths say that?

btw i'm an allopath (just to clarify)

Hi peehdee,

Nice to hear that someone else feels to same way. Are you at John Burns (or a graduate from there?)

BTW- I see your location is Hawaii. I lived on the Big Island for 6 years (just moved this past August). So whenever I see someone from Hawaii on these forums I always make an attempt to connect. What island are you on?

Pembleton said:
Larry David's uncle on "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is an osteopathic doctor.

The show neglected to mention that an osteopath is a practicing physician but that wasn't the point of the character either. Larry was at a victims of abuse support group and to fit in he claimed his uncle, the osteopath, had molested him. Of course it wasn't true but it did make for some fine comedy.

This is like the second or third episode with the Osteopath uncle. The first time the character was on the show he explained what an Osteopath was, it was actually a very funny bit b/c it included all the stereotypical silly questions.

Actually, the show mentions DO's pretty regularly. Cheryll goes to see an Osteopath in a few episodes for a bad neck or something like that.

Anyway, the Osteopath character is based on Larry David's actual uncle, who is really a DO. Most of the material on Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm has a basis in reality.

Kramer is a real guy, and so is the Soup Nazi. Seriously.

Wasn't Tom Cruise's character in Eyes Wide Shut an osteopath?

Doc 2b said:
Wasn't Tom Cruise's character in Eyes Wide Shut an osteopath?

I don't think so, but there was a scene in the movie where one of Tom Cruise's friends thanks him for recommending an osteopath who fixed his tennis elbow.

daveyboy said:
This is like the second or third episode with the Osteopath uncle. The first time the character was on the show he explained what an Osteopath was, it was actually a very funny bit b/c it included all the stereotypical silly questions.

I missed that one. It sounds great.

VALSALVA said:
This explains why there's a Seinfeld episode where Kramer explains to George that he doesn't carry a wallet because "my osteopath says it throws my hips off kilter." Anyone remember where that scene takes place? That was one of my favorite episodes!

it's awesome!!

here's the script (from another website):
KRAMER: All right but I am going to have to pay you back latter I don't have my wallet.

GEORGE: . . . Why not?

KRAMER: Because I don't like to carry my wallet. My osteopath says it's bad for my spine. It throws my hips off kilter

GEORGE: "throws your hips off kilter" So where's your money?

KRAMER: I never take it.

GEORGE: So what do you do?

KRAMER: Oh, I get by.

I think I too was molested by an osteopath! However, he insisted he was just "opening my pelvic outlet." Hmmmm.... :eek:

In the documentary "Super Size Me", one of the doctors the guy consults is a DO.

I have been thinking about how to describe what a DO is and this is the answer I came up with (it works well): "Osteopathic medicine is a different branch of medicine that is newer and therefore, less known. It focuses on a whole-body or more holistic approach in which the body is considered a system of connected parts. By using OMM DOs can manipulate different parts of the body to affect others and/or curb pain, but DOs are different than chiropractors becuase they have the same training as MDs and the same privileges."

I know this is a bit long winded, but I think it helps people understand better?

Osteopathic medicine is a younger branch of mainstream medicine. It focuses on a whole-body approach for prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of illness and disease. The Osteopathic profession benefits from the use of mainstream scientifically proven pharmacological and surgical intervention, as well as less invasive use of Osteopathic Manipulation Therapy (OMT). (This is ... someone has to insert a proper definition of OMT or OMM).

A physician of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) undergoes identical schooling, qualifications, and licensing as a physician of Allopathic Medicine (MD), with the addition of OMT training. DOs and MDs, both benefit from the ability to specialize in any branch of medical specialty and practice in all states and territories.

One of the medical consultants of ER is a DO.

docbill said:
Osteopathic medicine is a younger branch of mainstream medicine. It focuses on a whole-body approach for prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of illness and disease. The Osteopathic profession benefits from the use of mainstream scientifically proven pharmacological and surgical intervention, as well as less invasive use of Osteopathic Manipulation Therapy (OMT). (This is ... someone has to insert a proper definition of OMT or OMM).

A physician of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) undergoes identical schooling, qualifications, and licensing as a physician of Allopathic Medicine (MD), with the addition of OMT training. DOs and MDs, both benefit from the ability to specialize in any branch of medical specialty and practice in all states and territories.

Yeah, none of us here knew that, DocBill. Thanks for the info!!! Dweeb!!!

Dweeb... yeah sure dumb ars

Read the post before me.. "what i say when people ask"