Worst Medical School Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbm44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1: Case Western in the Mistake by the Lake
2: Nevada Reno...No brainer
3: Creighton in the Big O..No
4: UTSW...Even the Big D has ghetto areas
5: Emory in the dirty
6: Tulane in a grimy, vegas-like city without the family friendliness
7: MCW...Industrial & Cold
8: NJMS...Another no brainer
9: Temple in philly's finest neighborhood
10: Meharry..the name just sounds ghetto

Everybody cast your vote or add ones I forgot or defend your grounds, which ones aren't justified?

Members don't see this ad.

can u spell out the names so the jokes more fun for me?

your so witty
now add Shindlers Loyola..no..i forgot the name...the Loyla Chicago one...their service is so poop after 3 years of swearing i own pet lawers i got a refund for the meal plans they never issued me and so i never used in 2001 during a summer school session (no kidding - my parents are ENTHRALLED)

I have to disagree with you on UTSW. UTSW is hardly in the Dallas "ghetto". Actually, Dallas is so terribly seperated from low income to high income that people North of the Trinity River don't ever actually see the true hardship of the poorest Dallas citizens. While UTSW is associated with Parkland Hospital, a county hospital for Dallas, that is the extent of the school being in a "ghetto". Anyhow, long story short, as long as you are North of the Trinity River in Dallas there isn't a whole lot to complain about.

Members don't see this ad :)
stanford..what a waste lol jk
umm.. baylor is in a crappy area i believe
usc-also known as university of south central

wanderso said:
I have to disagree with you on UTSW. UTSW is hardly in the Dallas "ghetto". Actually, Dallas is so terribly seperated from low income to high income that people North of the Trinity River don't ever actually see the true hardship of the poorest Dallas citizens. While UTSW is associated with Parkland Hospital, a county hospital for Dallas, that is the extent of the school being in a "ghetto". Anyhow, long story short, as long as you are North of the Trinity River in Dallas there isn't a whole lot to complain about.
dallas is poop without its big hair and glitter and its so hot there and dry and not pretty...DONT YOU WATCH TV SHEEHS!??

UTSW is definitely in the ghetto, if you live on campus run apartments you are really close to the airport (and can hear them flying as they land)... as you know, the ghetto generally is located around airports.

UTH and Baylor are located in the med center which is in a very nice area as long as you avoid going out about 3-4 miles or further in one direction (every other direction is actually pretty nice, with some of the wealthier communities located right next to the med center).

Emory was in an area kind of like the Texas Medical Center in Houston, in that the immediate area was very nice, but if you go in a certain direction, you reach the dirty dirty pretty quickly.

And frankly, this list is pathetic if you aren't considering Baltimore or St. Louis or Detroit, which are the 3 worst big cities in the US by far.

Fantasy Sports said:
UTSW is definitely in the ghetto, if you live on campus run apartments you are really close to the airport (and can hear them flying as they land)... as you know, the ghetto generally is located around airports.

i wouldn't call that area the ghetto...its rough, but not the ghetto...there are places that are MUCH worse

My bad on posting the same thread twice...vote on the poll.

You're on the money about Houston, Detroit, and Baltimore. I have to disagree about the Lou, the arch and the historic downtown make it a fun, liveable city

I completely disagree with Emory/Atlanta. Emory is in on of the nicer parts of the city, has a beautiful campus(Emory has one of the 6 or so highest endowments of any university in the country), and always has nice weather.

If you want to argue that downtown Atlanta is dirty south, then I will agree. But Atlanta is actually a great city.

If you want to talk crappy locations with nothing to do and no culture, lets talk B-more, detroit, etc..

m

as with any city, you just have to know the parts to avoid

rme04 said:
as with any city, you just have to know the parts to avoid

Like New Orleans, where the rule of thumb is to avoid anywhere but a seat on a plane outta there.

jbm44 said:
7: MCW...Industrial & Cold
Industrial? Not since the early 1970s, man. As for cold, I don't see why you'd rank MCW above the many other schools that are even farther north.

Loco Loki said:
Like New Orleans, where the rule of thumb is to avoid anywhere but a seat on a plane outta there.

HAaa...there are lots of things to do in New Orleans ( w/o having to pack my Glock)...but I am not moving my family there....

Members don't see this ad :)
Fantasy Sports said:
Emory was in an area kind of like the Texas Medical Center in Houston, in that the immediate area was very nice, but if you go in a certain direction, you reach the dirty dirty pretty quickly.

Huh? Emory is surrounded by gorgeous homes. And Decatur. And Druid Hills. And Midtown. And the Virginia Highlands. I have no idea what ghetto you're talking about.

And what's wrong with Omaha? Have you even been there?

DieselPetrolGrl said:

your so witty
now add Shindlers Loyola..no..i forgot the name...the Loyla Chicago one...their service is so poop after 3 years of swearing i own pet lawers i got a refund for the meal plans they never issued me and so i never used in 2001 during a summer school session (no kidding - my parents are ENTHRALLED)

Is anyone able to interpret what this person said?

DieselPetrolGrl said:

your so witty

this is the best thing I've ever read on student doctor.

Tulane in a Vegas-style city? My kinda town! No family friendliness? What are you, 40 years old!?

dukefan1 said:
stanford..what a waste lol jk
umm.. baylor is in a crappy area i believe
usc-also known as university of south central

Gotta correct you on Baylor CM. It is in the heart of the city where everything in hustle and bustle. Now if you travel down main or Fannin (south or southwest direction) a bit past texas med center you will run into some folks (folks = no good people). The same goes if you go east on Magregor towards Hobby.

Baylor is across the street (not technically. But it is like a 7 min walk to) from Rice, which is bordered by West U. and River Oaks (the Bev Hills of Houston)

Add Wayne State in Detroit to the list.

Public transportation and traffic is worse than LA, and the city is more run down and has more vacant buildings than Philly.

Just keep your 40 close and your .45 closer and you should be fine.

Sincerely,

The City of Detroit

AVOID NORTH CAROLINA. That is, of course, unless you like 1940's mentality and technology. In general, the further west, and possibly north, you go, the more 'modern' the societies are. That is why you won't see University of Washington or Oregon Health & Sciences University show up on this list :). Also, as a general rule, you can bunch Kentucky, Arkansas, etc. into a big "no-no" group.

UTSW is not in the Ghetto.

It's not the best neighborhood, but its not the ghetto. Besides you don't live there, you go a few blocks to Uptown. Or you go up to Plano.

With real estate prices being what they are I'm sure it won't be long before someone realizes that they could make a mint off this area.

Airport property, hmm?

In this months edition of Money they did an analysis of the real estate market nationwide. Some chick paid $580k for a place 1000 yards from an airport runway. Yeah its San Diego, but this is a national trend.

:p

Sanctuary said:
AVOID NORTH CAROLINA. That is, of course, unless you like 1940's mentality and technology. In general, the further west, and possibly north, you go, the more 'modern' the societies are. That is why you won't see University of Washington or Oregon Health & Sciences University show up on this list :). Also, as a general rule, you can bunch Kentucky, Arkansas, etc. into a big "no-no" group.

Disagree. Chapel Hill and Durham are great cities with lots to do and don't exactly have "1940's mentatlity and technology". :rolleyes: I admit that there's not much going on in Greenville, but I love my school and will deal with Greenville if it means going to school here. There are definite bonuses to living here: the cost of living is ridiculously low, people are friendly, and seeing as the hospital is the only major hospital for the eastern third of the state, you see a lot.

Fantasy Sports said:
UTH and Baylor are located in the med center which is in a very nice area as long as you avoid going out about 3-4 miles or further in one direction.

3 or 4 miles? How about the park across the street from the TMC? I shook in my boots every time I waited at the bus stop there, the stop with NO LIGHT and reports of nurses being raped there. :scared:

Thanks for pointing out Baltimore. We had a lengthy discussion in the Gen Res forum with an international student coming to JHU. She seemed to believe for some reason we were exaggerating about the crime here.

You'reCrazy said:
Add Wayne State in Detroit to the list.

Public transportation and traffic is worse than LA, and the city is more run down and has more vacant buildings than Philly.

I dont put WSU in my list of worst, even though I do want to get out of here. If you chose the area properly, its fine. I want to live on campus- UT or the new towers are nice to live at. The area around WSU is very safe thanks to WSU dept of safety. What sucks is the shopping (when I started here, none, they are putting things on the main campus but when you need real groceries, etc, you need to drive to the burbs). BUt I have seen worse.

AVOID NORTH CAROLINA. That is, of course, unless you like 1940's mentality and technology. In general, the further west, and possibly north, you go, the more 'modern' the societies are. That is why you won't see University of Washington or Oregon Health & Sciences University show up on this list . Also, as a general rule, you can bunch Kentucky, Arkansas, etc. into a big "no-no" group.

The only thing about NC that could be considered a negative is that it is slowly being taken over by arogant yankees like yourself. Thank god somebody told you to stay out.

Kimberli Cox said:
Thanks for pointing out Baltimore. We had a lengthy discussion in the Gen Res forum with an international student coming to JHU. She seemed to believe for some reason we were exaggerating about the crime here.

Balto's no joke- I live in a nice, quiet section of the city (near the mayor). I hear sirens easily at least 10x daily. Last week I woke up at 3 am b/c the police helicopters were flying so low over my house, over and over, for more than 45 minutes. They usually do a pass through, but this was intense. I love my neighborhood and neighbors, but this place has some serious crime issues.

Kimberli Cox said:
3 or 4 miles? How about the park across the street from the TMC? I shook in my boots every time I waited at the bus stop there, the stop with NO LIGHT and reports of nurses being raped there. :scared:

Hermann Park? I havent heard about any nurses being raped there. Its actually a really nice park. I wouldnt go there at night, but then again, most people wouldnt since its a park and thus not well lit.

Its funny how the Dallas people are trying to make it sound like UTSW isnt in the ghetto yet try to make it seem like the TMC is. I think anyone who has visited both sites knows that UTSW proximity to the airport as well as the lack of a major private hospital leaves it in an unvitalized area full of strip club billboards. And yes, you can live in Plano or Forth Worth which are nice, but they aren't that close to UTSW (and we are talking about the immediate area).

But its funny, because as bad as Dallas is, its nowhere as bad as Baltimore, Detroit, or St Louis, yet it seems the Texas cities are all that are being talked about.

St Louis? come on, you can't group the Lou in with Baltimore, and when compared with Detroit, St. Louis seems like Salt Lake. The have revamped the downtown and it is an easy commuter town.

Anyways, maybe your right, I am off to SLU if I don't get off of the UC's waitlists. I just had to prop up St. Louis a bit, its a great state for medicine. And it is more of a tourist city on its worst day than Detroit, Baltimore, Houston, (even Dallas), and anywhere else in the Midwest. Actually, I would visit St. Louis anyday over pretty much any east coast city other than New York, Boston, or Miami (and still live in Cali of course)....What about them Cardinals???

jbm44 said:
St Louis? come on, you can't group the Lou in with Baltimore, and when compared with Detroit, St. Louis seems like Salt Lake. The have revamped the downtown and it is an easy commuter town.

Anyways, maybe your right, I am off to SLU if I don't get off of the UC's waitlists. I just had to prop up St. Louis a bit, its a great state for medicine. And it is more of a tourist city on its worst day than Detroit, Baltimore, Houston, (even Dallas), and anywhere else in the Midwest. Actually, I would visit St. Louis anyday over pretty much any east coast city other than New York, Boston, or Miami (and still live in Cali of course)....What about them Cardinals???

St Louis is hardly a tourist city, its more a flyover city and is barely fit to hold Chicago's perverbial jock.

At least Texas is warm, and consistently so, year-round.

If by 'cold' he meant that the look is cold surrounding the campus, I agree. There is a good deal of greenery but overall it is kind of blah, right next to the freeway and a huge, busy roads. (Which is great for ambulance access to the med center, but not so great if you just want to take a stroll.) There is absolutely nothing to do within short walking distance of the campus, either. Must have a car.

TheProwler said:
Industrial? Not since the early 1970s, man. As for cold, I don't see why you'd rank MCW above the many other schools that are even farther north.

aspirant said:
If by 'cold' he meant that the look is cold surrounding the campus, I agree. There is a good deal of greenery but overall it is kind of blah, right next to the freeway and a huge, busy roads. (Which is great for ambulance access to the med center, but not so great if you just want to take a stroll.) There is absolutely nothing to do within short walking distance of the campus, either. Must have a car.
yeah, unless you're on the east side or downtown, Milwaukee's not a walking city. Mayfair and Hwy 100 are quite close to MCW though. Trust me, I've taken the ambulance route into Froedtert MANY times. ;) Their garage is one of the best ones in the city. :p

does anybody else find it amusing that a sure way to start ten arguments at once in the pre-allo forum is to post a thread about school locations?
:laugh:

I agree with you...the south is great..and what this poster said about technology is stupid. LSU-NO leads the way with the Kohn student learning center and simulators. I grew up in Mass....and hate when I hear an arsehole like this degrade the south. My family can't get over how nice and friendly everyone is in the deep south..as compared to the northeast whenever they fly down to visit.

Fantasy Sports said:
St Louis is hardly a tourist city, its more a flyover city and is barely fit to hold Chicago's perverbial jock.

At least Texas is warm, and consistently so, year-round.
What do you care about warm weather, I can tell by your name that you ride your computer chair all day and don't get to even know (let alone care) what the weather is like. Come and spend a few days in southern Cal if you want to experience a legit city and then you won't even worry about flexing with St. Louis or Chicago whatever you were saying about you holding your own jock...

Sanctuary said:

You’ve given one great reason to stay out of the “north” and “west” by your highly ignorant post – yourself.

Im sure anyone who attends Duke, Wake Forest or UNC can attest that their facilities and mentality have moved beyond the 1940’s, and probably meet and exceed places you mentioned. Nice weather, great beaches and mountains, and friendly people make it a very nice place to live on top of great schools. No sprawling metropolises, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I mean Oregon? Hardly an intellectual paradise itself. Sucks no one liked you down in NC, maybe you can come back one day to get a better impression

Ill just go ahead and assume your assumptions about Kentucky and Arkansas are equally ignorant. :thumbdown:

Kimberli Cox said:

On which side of TMC? Main or Holcombe? The southern side is the beginning of a not so nice area (but not really bad). But you can get attacked anywhere

jbm44 said:
What do you care about warm weather, I can tell by your name that you ride your computer chair all day and don't get to even know (let alone care) what the weather is like. Come and spend a few days in southern Cal if you want to experience a legit city and then you won't even worry about flexing with St. Louis or Chicago whatever you were saying about you holding your own jock...

Wow looks like you have your own learning disabilities to be concerned with if you think having an id based on a hobby means that someone does that 24 hours a day. Maybe you should get that checked out before going to med school.

And St. Louis is one of the biggest POS cities in the US, with only Detroit and Baltimore on the same tier of crapiness.

And about southern California, you can keep it. LA is a huge craphole with terrible traffic and pollution where you can buy a townhouse (in Compton) for $500,000. I exaggerate, well, barely... If I wanted to pay that much for property, I would live in a real city like NYC or Boston or San Francisco. Not some poser cities that are full of ignorami such as yourself. :laugh:

Sanctuary said:

The reason you dont see UW or Oregon on this list is because no one cares about those universities. They might as well be in Alaska. And frankly, if they are full of ignorant fools like yourself, they might as well be.

The fastest growing states are in the south (Florida, Texas, North Carolina, Georgia). And with good reason.

Fantasy Sports said:
Its funny how the Dallas people are trying to make it sound like UTSW isnt in the ghetto yet try to make it seem like the TMC is. I think anyone who has visited both sites knows that UTSW proximity to the airport as well as the lack of a major private hospital leaves it in an unvitalized area full of strip club billboards. And yes, you can live in Plano or Forth Worth which are nice, but they aren't that close to UTSW (and we are talking about the immediate area).

Man, I don't know what your problem is with UTSW. While the immediate area is no highland or university park, it's not entirely ghetto. Anyhow, I believe you are missing the larger scope of this thread as it asks about the worst cities for med school. Dallas really shouldn't be on this list since it's a metropolitan city with a gamut of attractions.

Edit: Oh, and UTSW does have a private hospital-- Zale Liphsky is one of them AND it's in the area.

Omaha may not have oceans, mountains, or tourists(thank gawd)....but we do have more millionaires per capita than any city in the U.S.....thanks Warren . I guess that helps Omaha have more restaurants per capita than any other city as well....and maybe thats why Forbes Magazine ranked the Omaha metro in the top 15 regions in the U.S. to live and 5th in the country in income growth....of course, a city you've never heard of couldn't look like this ... or this. right??

MadameLULU said:
Man, I don't know what your problem is with UTSW. While the immediate area is no highland or university park, it's not entirely ghetto. Anyhow, I believe you are missing the larger scope of this thread as it asks about the worst cities for med school. Dallas really shouldn't be on this list since it's a metropolitan city with a gamut of attractions.

Edit: Oh, and UTSW does have a private hospital-- Zale Liphsky is one of them AND it's in the area.

Oh my, the old chef at Zale made the best food! I miss my breakfasts :(

Very, very few people live around UTSW. It's really more of a commercial district than anything. Just go Uptown pass American Airline Arena and live in the high rises in Midtown or Uptown.

Really you can get to North Dallas in less 25 min if you leave early enough in the morning.

Yeah the hobos and the whinos hang out near Parkland, but heck, homeless folks need sunshine too! At least if they fall down and hurt themsleves, they don't waste a call to 911. :D (I'll stop now, haha)

nebrfan said:
Omaha may not have oceans, mountains, or tourists(thank gawd)....but we do have more millionaires per capita than any city in the U.S.....thanks Warren . I guess that helps Omaha have more restaurants per capita than any other city as well....and maybe thats why Forbes Magazine ranked the Omaha metro in the top 15 regions in the U.S. to live and 5th in the country in income growth....of course, a city you've never heard of couldn't look like this ... or this. right??

I used to live in Kearney, about 3 hours west of Omaha. I flew out of Epply many times. Omaha is nice.

Omaha is nice..only problem is it's in Nebraska! :)

People will think I'm nuts, but I can't imagine living in Florida...Heat and Humidity are not my thing...I'd like Phoenix, etc...much better...and would be very happy to stick to KC, Denver, Omaha, Norman, etc...

MJB said:

People will think I'm nuts, but I can't imagine living in Florida...Heat and Humidity are not my thing...I'd like Phoenix, etc...much better...and would be very happy to stick to KC, Denver, Omaha, Norman, etc...

Herbie Husker and 'lil Red are gonna come find you!

New Orleans is my most favorite city! If you think it cant be family friendly, you've never lived there! Yup, I've signed on for another 4 years in lovely, warm, NOLA.... :cool:

Fantasy Sports said:
And St. Louis is one of the biggest POS cities in the US, with only Detroit and Baltimore on the same tier of crapiness.

Hey, Hey, Some of my people live in ST. Louis

Its not that bad of a place. Its no Chicago but its definiitely no Baltimore.

And in fact, there is definitely potential to rebuild the neighborhood around downtown. There are great investment opportunities there. You can buy a house cheap, fix it up, and sell it at a killer price (which is what my friend did).

They also have an excellent park (i forgot the name of it) and they have good local breweries there.

MJB said:

People will think I'm nuts, but I can't imagine living in Florida...Heat and Humidity are not my thing...I'd like Phoenix, etc...much better...

While Florida has humidity, it also has life (more culture, things to do, places to see, etc).

Phoenix just has heat . . . aND urban sprawl

I would pick Miami over Phoenix any day

Fantasy Sports said:
And about southern California, you can keep it. LA is a huge craphole
You did just say that right? :laugh: You should start a Fantasy City League too bro, that would be cool right? Just another something to do behind you computer desk for a few hours when your forearm gets tired.