***AZCOM Class of 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No way, I need to buy the otoscope and opthalmoscope, I wish they told us stuff like that; hopefully Craig's List has a blossoming market for underground medical equipment, especially since I don't think I'm going to need those afterwards for any surgical sub specialty.

There sure are a ton of people from California, I think that Arizona natives appear to be quite the rarity.

Members don't see this ad.

No way, I need to buy the otoscope and opthalmoscope, I wish they told us stuff like that; hopefully Craig's List has a blossoming market for underground medical equipment, especially since I don't think I'm going to need those afterwards for any surgical sub specialty.

There sure are a ton of people from California, I think that Arizona natives appear to be quite the rarity.
I know some people who didn't buy the equipment. They got by with borrowing from their Big or someone else. I personally like having my own things. But it's another option to contemplate.

I just got a regular acceptance from AZCOM. I had already accepted another school's offer, but I will accept AZCOM in place of theirs.

It is/was a tossup between DMU and AZCOM for me, but DMU "High Waitlisted" me and AZCOM gave me a straight up acceptance...so AZCOM it is. Its going to be fun moving back to Arizona.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, you might consider getting something just so you'll have it and won't have to always be borrowing it. But again, I know people that made it through. For me, I was always borrowing the tuning forks, reflex hammers, the little stuff I didn't really want to buy.

Yeah, you might consider getting something just so you'll have it and won't have to always be borrowing it. But again, I know people that made it through. For me, I was always borrowing the tuning forks, reflex hammers, the little stuff I didn't really want to buy.

What semester of MS1 do you use those tools ? Would you recommend getting the whole set with tuning forks, hammer, etc.. or just getting the ophthalmoscope, otoscope, and stethoscope ?
Thx.

maybe midwestern apparently got the fashion memo that high waisted pants are "like, totally" in. :banana: on the bright side, i'm pretty sure if the top gets dirty i could practically just wear the pants and make it a strapless jumpsuit sort of scrub day. puts the sexy back into scrubs...or something :eek:

What semester of MS1 do you use those tools ? Would you recommend getting the whole set with tuning forks, hammer, etc.. or just getting the ophthalmoscope, otoscope, and stethoscope ?
Thx.

Get the last three. and maybe a hammer (but the drug reps give these out free.) As for what quarter, mostly in the first quarter but eventually all quarters. (Read my previous message.) Also, another warning. DON'T get a 100 BP Cuff...seriously...most of you as doctors will use this well...3 times and then never again. It does come in handy for the family and what not. But go buy a $15 dollar one. It WILL be just as accurate and if you break it...just replace it. (With the Welch Allyn included lifetime guarantee on your $100 one, you could buy 6 BP cuffs) Even getting a peds and infant one you can get a whole set on mooremedical.com or galls.com for $30 bucks or so.

So that new medical clinic I received an e-mail about sounds cool. Does anyone know if we will get to see any patients there? Take H&Ps, do physical exams, or just shadow? I hope we get involved somehow.

So that new medical clinic I received an e-mail about sounds cool. Does anyone know if we will get to see any patients there? Take H&Ps, do physical exams, or just shadow? I hope we get involved somehow.

Dr Middleton and Dr Will will have their practices there. They both take students. MSI and IIs for their clinical exposure classes and MSIII/IVs for FM and OMM clerkships. They're both excellent teachers.

Hi all!

I applied late(barely making the secondary deadline) and interviewed at AZCOM very late as well, on April 19th. I just received word back from them that I've been provisionally accepted--in other words, all their deposits for spots in the class of 2011 are currently in, but that they're expecting some people to drop, at which point they'll call me and let me in. In the event that an opening doesn't come up, they've guaranteed a spot for me in the class of 2012. Anyone know how high the probability is that I'll get a spot for the class of 2011? Does anyone know a student that was in this situation? Thanks!

I almost interviewed prospective students on that day...but I didn't, eventually decided I didn't want to interview on my day off. We definitely had people who were taken off the waitlist, one of my classmates found out weeks before classes started. You must have really impressed because you got a waitlist, at this point in the year...most schools are just interviewing for waitlist spots rather than open spots.

Good luck.

Also - don't buy any book over $80. You can get the current version at the reserve in the library...and you can check out the older edition (which is almost the exact same as they are not going to ever completely rewrite).

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I have some more questions, if you guys don't mind... I'm a little unsure how I feel about AZCOM at this point. I also have some specific concerns about Phoenix/Glendale. If anyone could offer their take on these issues, please help!

1. Campus Security-- I noticed that the campus is fenced and gated. This is a good thing in the sense that it provides extra security to the campus, but is there a particular reason why it's there? Is there a high crime rate in the Glendale/Phoenix area that warrants this? There are also other security measures throughout campus, like at the library, and there are several places you have to swipe your card for access. Have there been security problems in the past? Oh yeah, and there was a med student that was complaining about his car getting stolen. Again, is this an indicator of crime in the area surrounding campus? The reason I ask is that I'm young, blonde, and thin--a perfect target--and I'm a little hypersensitive to these issues. Anyone have a take on this?

2. Anyone know why in the interview folder, they included ONLY the 2001 residency match list? I've seen their more recent match lists, and to me they look a little better. Just seems a little odd that they'd include ONLY such old information...

3. Clinical Rotations--The said that more positions would be available this year in some of the U of A spots and stuff which is really cool. But are these in large hospitals, and in places where students get lots of exposure? Seems like the rotations are in limbo right now too. A previous student mentioned that they best thing for them was to set up their own rotations--but AZCOM mentioned that they may not allow students the opportunity to do this anymore, that they must do rotations within the AZCOM network. Anyone have a take?

Thanks everyone! :)

I feel very safe on campus. I leave my things unattended around campus all the time and it's always right where I left it. The area is also nice. South Glendale is a little iffy, but Midwestern is in the northern part. I did hear about some cars getting stolen from campus housing this past Thanksgiving break, though. I didn't hear about any incidences during the winter break. I think that was an isolated occurance. I'm not blonde (starymagic), but I feel safe both on campus and in the surrounding area.

StaryMagic -

North Glendale is pretty safe (as safe as most areas are). The car thefts are more likely due to the close proximity to the 101 freeway, not a representation of overall crime.

The campus is fenced, but I think that is due to their desire to maintain the beauty of the campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what's the deal with the provisional acceptance? Someone on this thread mentioned that alot of these applicants get in?

Any thoughts/experiences?

Thanks!

I feel very safe on campus. I leave my things unattended around campus all the time and it's always right where I left it. The area is also nice. South Glendale is a little iffy, but Midwestern is in the northern part. I did hear about some cars getting stolen from campus housing this past Thanksgiving break, though. I didn't hear about any incidences during the winter break. I think that was an isolated occurance. I'm not blonde (starymagic), but I feel safe both on campus and in the surrounding area.

according to the crime map for Glendale, most of the crime is in the south and central areas with lots of rape, assault, and theft. :( But there's very little reported crime in north Glendale around the school. However violent crime around the school does occur, 1 or two assaults per month. Overall, Glendale is above national average in crime. The Phoenix area is also rated at #4 nationwide for car theft:

(NICB statistics, via CNN) Top ten metro areas by per capita auto theft rate

1. Las Vegas/Paradise, Nev.
2. Stockton, Calif
3. Visalia/Porterville, Calif.
4. Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale, Ariz.
5. Modesto, Calif.
6. Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue, Wash.
7. Sacramento/Arden-Arcade/Roseville, Calif.
8. Fresno, Calif.
9. Yakima, Wash.
10. Tucson, Ariz.

Way to go, Arizona--two spots on the top 10! I previously thought Boston was the national center for car theft but we're not even on the map :(

I would definitely have a LoJack system and car alarm, and don't be overly trusting about leaving stuff in your car that looks steal-able. I recently had to lay down the law about our new $400 GPS--no, it's not OK to just leave it in the glove compartment where "no one will see it" or leave it on the dash because "it has a security code". They'll STILL STEAL IT!!!

according to the crime map for Glendale, most of the crime is in the south and central areas with lots of rape, assault, and theft. :( But there's very little reported crime in north Glendale around the school. However violent crime around the school does occur, 1 or two assaults per month. Overall, Glendale is above national average in crime. The Phoenix area is also rated at #4 nationwide for car theft:

2. Stockton, Calif
5. Modesto, Calif.
8. Fresno, Calif.
9. Yakima, Wash.
10. Tucson, Ariz.

Way to go, Arizona--two spots on the top 10! I previously thought Boston was the national center for car theft but we're not even on the map :(

I would definitely have a LoJack system and car alarm, and don't be overly trusting about leaving stuff in your car that looks steal-able. I recently had to lay down the law about our new $400 GPS--no, it's not OK to just leave it in the glove compartment where "no one will see it" or leave it on the dash because "it has a security code". They'll STILL STEAL IT!!!

BOOYAH!!!

Sounds like bragging rights to me...

So, as we are getting closer to August, is anyone else freaking out at the notion of being over $200,000 in debt?

How does everyone intend to pay that back?

I plan to specialize so the military and state PCP loan payback programs are a no go. Is anyone else barrowing the entire ammount?

:cry:

So, as we are getting closer to August, is anyone else freaking out at the notion of being over $200,000 in debt?

I plan to specialize so the military and state PCP loan payback programs are a no go. Is anyone else barrowing the entire ammount?

:cry:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Does that explain a lot??? Well working is a good way to pay loans back but I'm also counting on winning the lottery. And unfortunately, i'll be borrowing the entire amount.:eek: :( . I thought receiving my award letter would make me happy and it did at first, knowing i'll have money for school. However, just looking at the numbers and knowing this is only the first year boggles the mind. Well good luck to everyone with figuring out how to pay Midwesterns tuition.

Hey look on the bright side, at least you can write off the interest you pay to save money of taxes. Besides student debt is good debt and it's an investment in yourself. However I do believe that Midwestern charges excessive tuition especially considering that they are using much of the money to fund new buildings and programs like the dental school. Just my thought on that, take it for what it's worth.

The Phoenix area is also rated at #4 nationwide for car theft:

2. Stockton, Calif
5. Modesto, Calif.
8. Fresno, Calif.
9. Yakima, Wash.
10. Tucson, Ariz.

Way to go, Arizona--two spots on the top 10!

haha 'bragging rights' :laugh: that's great.

but really that's what happens when you're a short trip from mexico... in addition to scrapping for parts (like anywhere) our stolen cars can easily be driven down across the border and sold there or issued new licenses and sold back in the states :thumbdown: . suck.

To those of you who have to take out the full amount in loans...don't worry, you are not alone. You know why? B/c I will be right there with ya...all $200,000 and all :( . The way I plan to pay it back (well at least I think so) is living not so extravagantly right after residency and just focusing on paying back my loans...I hope it works :oops: ? By the way, it feels nice to know that I'm not the only one relying on the full amount in loans. I was starting to think that everyone was probably from some rich family that has money in a trust for all the college-bound relatives. Nothing against rich kids though ;) .

Time for bed
Nitey Nite!

Count me in the full amount as well...sigh!

im taking out almost the full amount, 51k. I emailed the finaide office and they said you can apply for more aide at anytime. hopefully tahtll be enough

So here's a question...aren't Staffords supposed to max out at 38,500 per year or something like that? Because my Staffords exceed that...and I don't get it!

On a sidenote, anyone excited that Superbowl 42 is going to be in Glendale this coming season. I'm not a huge football fan but the prospect of going to such a huge event is exciting. I dont' care who plays but once tickets go on sale i'm getting a couple. Anyone else going to be pigging out on hotdogs and nachos and a nice beer with me on Super Bowl Sunday???

So here's a question...aren't Staffords supposed to max out at 38,500 per year or something like that? Because my Staffords exceed that...and I don't get it!

There are two types of Stafford loans, unsub and subsidized. Unsub is max at 32k while sub is 8.5k. Once you borrow all that like myself, you visit good old friend GradPLUS where you can supplement the rest of your tuition. I believe you can borrow as much as you need up to what the school certifies you at, which is based on your FAFSA (EFC). Hopefully this clarifies things and who's game for working at Home Depot to offset all this debt.

The way I plan to pay it back (well at least I think so) is living not so extravagantly right after residency and just focusing on paying back my loans...I hope it works :oops: ?

Yeah, I'm loaning it out and then more. I have undergrad and grad school loans to add onto the $240k that med school will require. Hopefully there's time to get to do some work study so I can knock off a little loan. But I do have the same idea for how to pay it back; glad it's a good enough idea for other's to do the same!

First of all CONGRATS to all of you who've made it this far!!! You're going to love MWU, it's an awesome school! My only advice is to REALAX and ENJOY your summer, because this fall your life will change for ever!!

I will be an MSII this fall and have a couple of houses, as well as rooms for rent, all within WALKING distance to school!

If you're intersted and want to know more send me a private message and I can give you more details....

Again, cogratulations.... Med school is everything they say it is and a WHOLE lot more!! :D

There are two types of Stafford loans, unsub and subsidized. Unsub is max at 32k while sub is 8.5k. Once you borrow all that like myself, you visit good old friend GradPLUS where you can supplement the rest of your tuition. I believe you can borrow as much as you need up to what the school certifies you at, which is based on your FAFSA (EFC). Hopefully this clarifies things and who's game for working at Home Depot to offset all this debt.

Ohhh, I thought the Staffords maxed out at 38.5 per year total (sub and unsub). I was wondering why I got 40.5; did they raise that max recently?

Yeah, I'm loaning it out and then more.

Are you borrowing money beyond the cost of attendence? I wanted to do that but I don't know what lender to use besides a regular personal bank loan. I wanted to find a lender where I can pay after school yet borrow more than the cost of attendence. Anyone know of anything like this???

Ohhh, I thought the Staffords maxed out at 38.5 per year total (sub and unsub). I was wondering why I got 40.5; did they raise that max recently?

Yes they raised it $2000 for some programs, including medical school students. Yay! We can be $8K more in debt! :)

what's the going rate for a kidney? ovary? i've got two...

Are you borrowing money beyond the cost of attendence? I wanted to do that but I don't know what lender to use besides a regular personal bank loan. I wanted to find a lender where I can pay after school yet borrow more than the cost of attendence. Anyone know of anything like this???

Hi there. There are programs out there that do allow you to do that but BE CAREFUL. The interest rates are usually much higher and be sure to read the fine print. I did take one of those loans out to go to Europe this summer but it wasn't a ton of money and whatever I come home with is going right back to the bank. If you can, really try to live on what they set for you as a limit and if you do borrow a private loan do your homework.

Congrats to all of you! I hope you have a great summer! Feel free to PM me with any questions that you all might have.

As 2nd year is officially over (finally!) I want to wish the new class the best of luck and any of you can feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Boy it feels good to done! Now the board study begins :mad:

I have been following this thread for a long time, but haven't actually posted. I was just wondering how you incoming students(class of 2011) or how those already studying at AZCOM plan on paying for medical school. I would assume naturally that most people are using government loans, but I was wondering if anybody out there had any good information regarding scholarship? Also, has anybody had any experience with the armed forces programs or the HRSA?

As 2nd year is officially over (finally!) I want to wish the new class the best of luck and any of you can feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Boy it feels good to done! Now the board study begins :mad:

Congratulations, Inquiringmind!!! That must be an amazing feeling! And now to celebrate you get to...study more! Ahh, must be heaven :D

P.S. I spoke with someone at San Lagos today and if you decide to live there, make sure they give you the 5% discount off rent each month for Midwestern students! I just heard about it today.

Oh, it feels soo good to be done with the first year because there will be NO studying for 3 months. Though, I think it's going to take about 7 days before I don't feel like I need to be doing something. I guess I'll focus that on moving out of my place. If anybody's interested, I just got a pretty good deal at Sage Stone for next year. 3% off rent each month, 6 weeks free rent, $75 bucks off rent. I think it reduced our rent from like $12000 to like $9000 which is a great deal over 13 months, especially splitting that with another person for a two bedroom. This deal requires that you move in by June 15th. They have some other deals but this seemed to make sense.

Good luck everybody.
I'll be looking forward to seeing you next year and talking to the new rookies.

Does anyone know if we have to buy scrubs before we start classes? If we do need to buy them....

Does anyone know what kind/brand to buy? I want comfortable scrubs! Basically, I don't want the kind that has a crotch that hangs down all the way to my knees and/or the kind that feels like a potato sac :p. I need something that will fit a 5' tall girl (juniors maybe...sad huh)...any help?

p.s. did you know that Baby Phat makes scrubs?!? I had no clue there were so many brands to choose from!

Does anyone know if we have to buy scrubs before we start classes? If we do need to buy them....

Does anyone know what kind/brand to buy? I want comfortable scrubs! Basically, I don't want the kind that has a crotch that hangs down all the way to my knees and/or the kind that feels like a potato sac :p. I need something that will fit a 5' tall girl (juniors maybe...sad huh)...any help?

p.s. did you know that Baby Phat makes scrubs?!? I had no clue there were so many brands to choose from!
You won't NEED scrubs. Most people wore some old scrubs for anatomy lab, but it's not necessary. You just want something that can get dirty and you won't mind throwing away at the end of the semester.

So I recently found out that I was taken off the DMU waitlist and accepted to the class of 2011. For the past 4 months I committed myself to AZCOM and the Phoenix area. Now with the great news of getting accepted to DMU, I have no idea where I stand. My gf and I were both looking forward to Midwestern and moving into our new apt. We both actually liked DMU and it's facilities as well. So both of us have acceptances at DMU and AZCOM but as of now are committed to AZCOM. But with this new acceptance I dont know where I want to go and what to do. Any of you out there visit DMU but chose AZCOM? Any help would appreciated.

Hey all,

Just wanted to say hello and thanks for all of the advice from current students. :thumbup:

...and pho, that's a tough decision, but good luck whatever you decide. :)

Finally, I wanted to ask if anyone has heard from people who have lived at the Isle at Arrowhead. It looks decent and reasonably priced. Not too much bad feedback from apartmentratings.com....Who knows?

Oh, and one last thing...I've been dating this girl for a little over a month and it has been good, not GREAT and not BAD. Anyway, the issue of me moving came up and she said she was willing to move...but I think it's a little early for all of that and there's no way a long distance relationship will work for me. So do I let her go now, OR just have fun and not think about it for the next 2 months?

What is a fella to do?

As always, you guys rock, and pho keep us all updated.

Oh, and one last thing...I've been dating this girl for a little over a month and it has been good, not GREAT and not BAD. Anyway, the issue of me moving came up and she said she was willing to move...but I think it's a little early for all of that and there's no way a long distance relationship will work for me. So do I let her go now, OR just have fun and not think about it for the next 2 months?

What is a fella to do?

Break her heart now? or break her heart in two months? The bottom line is...if you intend to break her heart before you go to school, why do you want to wait to do it in two months when she will obviously be more attached to you. However, there is always a "but"...if you are the type of guy that likes to let "time" work its magic, then I'd say you have to wait and see what develops. You never know, you might actually find that you like her enough to try to make it work.

Honestly though, I know if I JUST started dating a guy that had no intention of staying with me for a REAL purpose, I would want to get dumped sooner than later. Not to say that I would ever get dumped ;) (I hope the class of 2011 likes sarcasm/a quick wit)

Ooooh, all sorts of juicy questions tonight!

Pho - come on now, you really want to give up on us, after all this bonding, for IOWA? Crikey. No, I'm just kidding, obviously. You have to make this decision with your GF and it won't be easy. You really have to go with your gut. I also had to keep my fiance in mind when I chose among several schools, and even though I was torn in several directions, I feel good about my choice. You just have to be confident about it and in the end, you're going to get a great education.

(I think you'd be a fun classmate to have!)

Medschoolsoon - that's a toughie. I'd go with your gut on this one as well. If it's not a stunning relationship, maybe it's not worth it for her to move, because that's going to be a major transition for both of you. How do you feel about waiting it out for a couple of months while you're preparing for your move/moving/settling in/starting school and then see how things are going? Could she visit you during that time to see what your life will be like and get a glimpse of what her life would be like as well?

In the end, it all comes down to the gut. It's never wrong!

So I recently found out that I was taken off the DMU waitlist and accepted to the class of 2011. For the past 4 months I committed myself to AZCOM and the Phoenix area. Now with the great news of getting accepted to DMU, I have no idea where I stand. My gf and I were both looking forward to Midwestern and moving into our new apt. We both actually liked DMU and it's facilities as well. So both of us have acceptances at DMU and AZCOM but as of now are committed to AZCOM. But with this new acceptance I dont know where I want to go and what to do. Any of you out there visit DMU but chose AZCOM? Any help would appreciated.

Split the difference: you could come to AZCOM and she could go to DMU and you could thus experience both schools vicariously. This would be the most scientific way to determine which school would have been more suitable. :)

Hey all,

Just wanted to say hello and thanks for all of the advice from current students. :thumbup:

...and pho, that's a tough decision, but good luck whatever you decide. :)

Finally, I wanted to ask if anyone has heard from people who have lived at the Isle at Arrowhead. It looks decent and reasonably priced. Not too much bad feedback from apartmentratings.com....Who knows?

What is a fella to do?

I would suggest sitting down and having a talk with her about it. You don't have to throw in "not GREAT, but not BAD" but tell her you do enjoy teh relationtionship but you think it's too soon to move. Not sure why you don't think long distance won't work for you, but I personally think it's great for med school and it's what I'm doing. If you were to continue dating for the next 3 months, you'll have four months behind you and then you can decide if she should move with you or later or if ya'll should go your separate ways. Regardless, I think it's only fair that she knows what you're thinking and she is a part of the decision. As Ms. Spears says, if she'd rather continue dating knwoing it might end in August, that's her prerogative and why not enjoy the fun.

whatdapho:
Take a look at the pre-osteopathic board and look at the post, "AZCOM's dirty little secrets..." Maybe that might help you make the decision.

In fact, everyone look at that post! AHHH! I don't know what to think of it anymore! Anyone have opinions?

In fact, everyone look at that post! AHHH! I don't know what to think of it anymore! Anyone have opinions?

In my opinion it's a very tired, burned out medical student who wants to find everything that's wrong with his school. But from what I hear, every school has warts and every med student (allo and osteo) feels his or her school is the worst. As Sarikate points out, it's what you make of it; don't let some anonymous poster on an internet chat board influence your career decisions; you have to do your own homework and decide what's best for you. Some other students from AZCOM posted positive experiences at the school so it can't be all bad!