***AZCOM Class of 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got my award letter for next year. But that's because third year technically starts with orientation in late June. If you think you have to borrow alot of money for first and second year, just wait until third year...

Members don't see this ad.

Automobile: One thing that makes the heat more bearable is getting your car windows tinted. I just had ceramic tint put on my car and I feel dumb for not doing it earlier and I have lived here nearly 10 years. It makes a big difference. My car is never hot when I enter it. It really keeps you cool. Ceramic tint is more expensive but regular tint is pretty affordable and works well too. However, if you or another family member will be doing a lot of driving, I highly recommend the ceramic tint. If you and several friends get it, they will offer you a significant discount on the tint.

Also, I highly recommend getting front glass coverage on your automobile insurance. It's really dry and hot here which leads to more cracked windshields. I have lived here since 98' and I've had to replace 3 windshields. All 3 of those were due to a small pebble or stone hitting my windshield on the freeway which later led to a crack.

Utilities: When you are setting up your utilities, make sure to be placed on the energy saver plan with the electric company. Your AC bill in the summer will be expensive. However, these companies have rate plans that charge more during the day and less at night. I saved about $60 off my electric bill when I switched to that plan. Do your laundry at night and keep your thermostat at 80 during the day when you aren't there. APS doesn't advertise it so you have to request being placed on it. And even then, there is a waitlist so they usually can't get someone to come to your place and set you up on the plan for a month, so make sure you do so when you first arrive.

Apartments: Lastly, check out apartmentratings.com and talk to people before moving into any apartment here. A lot of apartments may look really nice and have really impressive leasing offices but that doesn't mean anything. For example, I have a close friend who lived at Sage Stone last year and he was having issues with scorpions. You would never get that impression about Sage Stone by walking into their leasing office or looking at the apartment from the outside.

Also, don't be afraid to negotiate prices that are significantly lower than what they have listed. These leasing agents are paid on commission so they can negotiate prices. They will make it seem like the prices are fixed or that there is so much demand that they don't have to offer you a deal but they are just playing the game. They will offer you a school discount, a free month and the waiving of "administration" fees and try to convince you that they are treating you special. However, they offer this to everyone so ask for another $100 off rent....in the nicest way possible. :)

Buying a Home/Condo- My wife and I just bought a home here and so I learned a lot of things I wished I had known about earlier. It might be a sellers market nationwide but Arizona's real estate market hasn't slowed down that much. There is still a lot of competition for homes that were built in the last 10 years. Expect multiple offers on any decent home around campus. You can improve your odds of successfully negotiating and winning a bid on a home. Before hiring a realtor, drive around the neighborhoods you might be interested in. There are a lot of for-sale-by-owner homes. You will be able to negotiate a better deal if you contact these owners directly versus going through a realtor. Also, you are likely to get a home if you contact the realtor listing the home you are interested in because that realtor doesn't have to split his or her commission because you aren't represented by anyone. The listing agent will be much more inclined to sell to you versus someone else who is represented by a realtor.

Automobile: One thing that makes the heat more bearable is getting your car windows tinted. I just had ceramic tint put on my car and I feel dumb for not doing it earlier and I have lived here nearly 10 years. It makes a big difference. My car is never hot when I enter it. It really keeps you cool. Ceramic tint is more expensive but regular tint is pretty affordable and works well too. However, if you or another family member will be doing a lot of driving, I highly recommend the ceramic tint. If you and several friends get it, they will offer you a significant discount on the tint.

Also, I highly recommend getting front glass coverage on your automobile insurance. It's really dry and hot here which leads to more cracked windshields. I have lived here since 98' and I've had to replace 3 windshields. All 3 of those were due to a small pebble or stone hitting my windshield on the freeway which later led to a crack.

Utilities: When you are setting up your utilities, make sure to be placed on the energy saver plan with the electric company. Your AC bill in the summer will be expensive. However, these companies have rate plans that charge more during the day and less at night. I saved about $60 off my electric bill when I switched to that plan. Do your laundry at night and keep your thermostat at 80 during the day when you aren't there. APS doesn't advertise it so you have to request being placed on it. And even then, there is a waitlist so they usually can't get someone to come to your place and set you up on the plan for a month, so make sure you do so when you first arrive.

Apartments: Lastly, check out apartmentratings.com and talk to people before moving into any apartment here. A lot of apartments may look really nice and have really impressive leasing offices but that doesn't mean anything. For example, I have a close friend who lived at Sage Stone last year and he was having issues with scorpions. You would never get that impression about Sage Stone by walking into their leasing office or looking at the apartment from the outside.

Also, don't be afraid to negotiate prices that are significantly lower than what they have listed. These leasing agents are paid on commission so they can negotiate prices. They will make it seem like the prices are fixed or that there is so much demand that they don't have to offer you a deal but they are just playing the game. They will offer you a school discount, a free month and the waiving of "administration" fees and try to convince you that they are treating you special. However, they offer this to everyone so ask for another $100 off rent....in the nicest way possible. :)

Buying a Home/Condo- My wife and I just bought a home here and so I learned a lot of things I wished I had known about earlier. It might be a sellers market nationwide but Arizona's real estate market hasn't slowed down that much. There is still a lot of competition for homes that were built in the last 10 years. Expect multiple offers on any decent home around campus. You can improve your odds of successfully negotiating and winning a bid on a home. Before hiring a realtor, drive around the neighborhoods you might be interested in. There are a lot of for-sale-by-owner homes. You will be able to negotiate a better deal if you contact these owners directly versus going through a realtor. Also, you are likely to get a home if you contact the realtor listing the home you are interested in because that realtor doesn't have to split his or her commission because you aren't represented by anyone. The listing agent will be much more inclined to sell to you versus someone else who is represented by a realtor.

Thanks for all the tips. I read another post that stated it's possible to get a discounted rate on your electricity bill based on low-income status. I had this in San Diego as an undergrad. Do you know if you can have this low-income status discount plus the energy saver plan? Just curious if you know. I think I read your previous post about San Lagos. I haven't read too many negative posts about this apt community but I haven't seen many great post about it either. I'm strongly considering renting there. I really hope they don't have a scorpion or spider issues. Any info not already posted would help. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my award letter for next year. But that's because third year technically starts with orientation in late June. If you think you have to borrow alot of money for first and second year, just wait until third year...

Matt-How much more is tuition 3rd year?

Thanks for all the tips. I read another post that stated it's possible to get a discounted rate on your electricity bill based on low-income status. I had this in San Diego as an undergrad. Do you know if you can have this low-income status discount plus the energy saver plan? Just curious if you know. I think I read your previous post about San Lagos. I haven't read too many negative posts about this apt community but I haven't seen many great post about it either. I'm strongly considering renting there. I really hope they don't have a scorpion or spider issues. Any info not already posted would help. Thanks in advance.

Did you go to UCSD? I graduated from Revelle in '05

Did you go to UCSD? I graduated from Revelle in '05

Goooooooooo Tritons!!!!!!!!!!! haha yes I graduated the same year but I was at Marshall. Will you be attending AZCOM as well?? I'm back in the bay area and I miss good ole San Diego and its wonderful weather and eateries...mmmmmmm.

Goooooooooo Tritons!!!!!!!!!!! haha yes I graduated the same year but I was at Marshall. Will you be attending AZCOM as well?? I'm back in the bay area and I miss good ole San Diego and its wonderful weather and eateries...mmmmmmm.[/QUOTE
I miss it too, I'm living in LA now though. See you in class!

Anyone receive their scrubs yet??? I sent the form out about a month ago or even longer and I haven't received mine yet. I just want to wear mine to sleep so i can get use to sleeping in scrubs during long hours:)

Anyone receive their scrubs yet??? I sent the form out about a month ago or even longer and I haven't received mine yet. I just want to wear mine to sleep so i can get use to sleeping in scrubs during long hours:)

I received mine a month and half ago.

When you received the information about free scrubs, was it sent by student services?

OH, the free scrubs...sigh...with the tapered legs and crotch the length of Chile! LOL, it was a nice surprise to get them in the mail but they may simply be souvenirs for me!

RahulAZCOM -

Great post, lots of useful ideas. apartmentratings.com has some pretty disgruntled people posting on there; makes you want to just live out of your car or something. Which I might do if I didn't have a wife and 2-year-old to take care of :laugh: Lots of weird comments about San Lagos apartments. I'm disturbed by the many reports of car theft around San Lagos.

According to recent reports, overall the Phoenix area has seen slacking off in demand, but northwest Phoenix and Glendale have seen sustained demand. I guess life could be worse; many other medical schools are located in crappy neighborhoods. Right now I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense long term to rent next to AZCOM or buy a condo 3-4 miles away and plan on biking there every day. I can use the exercise. It's harder to get a mortgage as a full time student, though. I'd be interested to hear what others have done. Are most students renting?

OH, the free scrubs...sigh...with the tapered legs and crotch the length of Chile! LOL, it was a nice surprise to get them in the mail but they may simply be souvenirs for me!

Yeah, I just got mine too. Definitely don't fit well, BUT are great for sleeping and parading around the house. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I recieved an email about my award letter today. Just wanted to let people know that they are going out now. I sent my stuff in really early in January so that might help give you an idea of when you should get yours.

My wife and I decided to buy. We do not have any kids (just one great big black Great Dane :D ) so our reasons were purely economical. Current housing indicators show that he existing housing sales have slipped to an all time low for the first quarter, (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18307494/), (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/24/AR2007042400627.html) increased fear in the market and continuing to drag the GDP by a percentage point most likely into 2008. (But that is another rant, thank you Greenspan!). Also Mortgage prices have fallen for the 2nd month in a row.

The Phoenix market is stabilizing a bit but there is still a lot uncertainty, and sub prime fears. Default rates are up and that means that foreclosures offerings are also up. I have never navigated the foreclosure world but I have had friends who have and come out immensely well. We were able to find a great place in a high appreciation area about 15 min away from school, so we jumped on it. My feeling is that third and fourth years are going to be spent all over the valley so being relatively close to school but closer to major thoroughfares to get around the city easier. After all you are looking for 4 years rather than 2 then move to a more central location in the city. ZipRealty.com has very good information, if you can stand the nagging emails every other day.

For mortgages, if you have excellent credit rating then you should be ok. The trick is to find a place and either close, or at least start the paperwork before you quite working. If you wife works (mine does) then that helps to. At least this fact helped me with my mortgage.

If you are in an area where you believe that you can feasibly appreciate around 20% then you have paid for your time in Phoenix. Anything after that is just icing to help for life in residency. But it has to be the right place, right location, for the right price! Otherwise the it is a risky move.

(Disclaimer: I am not a Phoenix native so I have an educated but limited local understanding. So take it for what it is worth. :) )

tuition is up to 41,242, something like that, great....

crotch the length of Chile!
that comment cracks me up :laugh:

i think buying can be a great option for some students. especially married (or 2 income) students. i definitely considered buying (my parents would be the 'investor' on the mortgage and "rent" it to me--as i work as a tech in the ER and make crap for a living. if you're lucky enough to have a credit sacrificing family member willing to do this for you, this may be another way to get around difficult mortgage issues if anyone is stuck in that position). being an unmarried student, totally dependent on school loans' rationing for living (the whole 'we give you nine months worth of living expenses for the entire year since you're only technically a student for nine months' is total BS if you ask me--but that's a rant for another time), though, at this point i don't think buying is the best option for me. i've found that for myself it is still cheaper and less time consuming to rent (especially if you're willing to commute a couple miles) than buy--as frustrating as renting can be.

Is anyone looking for a roommate to share a house or apartment?

Might be looking for another roommate. I'm gonna be an MS-II and I have a buddy coming down as an MS-I next year. We're gonna get an apartment right after finals when he comes down to visit. A 3 bedroom might be cheaper per person. Let me know. [email protected]

I checked my Midwestern e-mail and found out my reward letter was posted, you guys should check yours out. Yay, I can pay for school! But oh, here come the cold sweats... :barf:

Has anyone been shopping around for health insurance? I notice a big difference between the school's plan and the SOMA plan, for example (SOMA's cheaper by about $200/month for a family). I haven't gone down the list item by item to really compare the plans, though.

Here's the way I look at it... Med school in general is expensive and we should feel lucky that we even have the opportunity to borrow that amount of money in this country. In other countries, if you can't pay the tuition then you can't go to school (except maybe for socialized government programs). Either way, as high as the tuition is at least we can pay for it.

Yeah, this is going to be difficult...I need to really lay these all out and look them over carefully. I thought the AZCOM plan wasn't bad compared to what I have now (crap) but the SOMA plans also look better than what I've currently got...but there's so much to take into consideration, especially if you are going into this with a chronic illness!

I checked my Midwestern e-mail and found out my reward letter was posted, you guys should check yours out. Yay, I can pay for school! But oh, here come the cold sweats... :barf:

For those of you who have received your award letters, did they include loans in it?

Yes, Staffords were included.

This is more intended for current MSI/MSII students. I was wondering where you guys bought your text books and if it's possible to find out what books are required for each class so I could find the best prices online. Also, how often did you guys read/relied on your books? A DMU student told me that it's hard to read through the textbooks because there is not enough time to read with all the lecture notes, pdf, etc. I'm sure there are books that are worth buying than others. Any suggestions would be great.

Hello everyone!

Today I remembered about SDN (I heard about it as an undergrad at UCD). So I spent my afternoon browsing this thread. Since I enjoyed the conversation/info among most of the "regulars" on the thread, I told my friend all about what I read while we were eating dinner at Olive Garden (woohoo for soup, salad, and bread sticks!!!!!). After I told her about the info I read, she said, "stop being a lurker and just register to be a member silly :p ." I took her adice and here I am! I look forward to meeting you all in August. Since I'm living in the on-campus housing, I don't think I'm allowed to move in until the week before orientation...so that's when I'll be packing my bags to move from California to Arizona!!!!

P.S. Is anyone else super excited to enter the student world again, but at the same time, super nervous about what's to come?!?

Hello everyone!

Today I remembered about SDN (I heard about it as an undergrad at UCD). So I spent my afternoon browsing this thread. Since I enjoyed the conversation/info among most of the "regulars" on the thread, I told my friend all about what I read while we were eating dinner at Olive Garden (woohoo for soup, salad, and bread sticks!!!!!). After I told her about the info I read, she said, "stop being a lurker and just register to be a member silly :p ." I took her adice and here I am! I look forward to meeting you all in August. Since I'm living in the on-campus housing, I don't think I'm allowed to move in until the week before orientation...so that's when I'll be packing my bags to move from California to Arizona!!!!

P.S. Is anyone else super excited to enter the student world again, but at the same time, super nervous about what's to come?!?

U bet. I'm definitely in the "what have I gotten myself into???" phase. I hear it gets better after the 1st semester or so.

Hey Birdie,

Congrats and welcome to the thread. Just wondering, how did you find out that you have on campus housing? I'm also looking to live on campus but have not heard a peep from student housing since I sent my deposit months ago.

Hello everyone!

Helllllllllllllllllllllo Birdie...I'm so stoked about going back to school. I've been out of school for nearly 2 years and my brain is all dried up. Yet i'm scared of everything that has to deal with med school. I'm glad to hear that a fellow Californian will be in the ranks of class of 2011. I went to UCSD but live in the bay area. Good luck with your move and i'll see you in August...maybe at the olive garden...muahaha

UCD grad here also!!! go aggies, haha!! looks like there are a few Californians comin this fall, anyone else?

Hey Birdie,

Congrats and welcome to the thread. Just wondering, how did you find out that you have on campus housing? I'm also looking to live on campus but have not heard a peep from student housing since I sent my deposit months ago.

Okay I hope you don't think I'm one of those overly persistent to the point of annoying people, but after I sent in my application, I called the director and asked him when he will find out who gets housing. I literally called him back the week he told me he would probably know housing assignments :). The reason you haven't heard anything back is b/c he doesn't cash the deposits or send out any mail notifications until June I think. But if you want, you can call him and ask if you got an apartment (a.k.a be a pain in the butt like me :oops: ). Hope you get a place on campus...good luck!

UCD grad here also!!! go aggies, haha!! looks like there are a few Californians comin this fall, anyone else?

Helllllllllllllllllllllo Birdie...I'm so stoked about going back to school. I've been out of school for nearly 2 years and my brain is all dried up. Yet i'm scared of everything that has to deal with med school. I'm glad to hear that a fellow Californian will be in the ranks of class of 2011. I went to UCSD but live in the bay area. Good luck with your move and i'll see you in August...maybe at the olive garden...muahaha

WOOHOO Cali :D ... at least the weather won't be too much of a shock to us huh? ya ya, I know it will be about 20 degrees hotter than it usually gets in Cali, but I always think that once you get above about 100 - 105 it all just feels HOT!!!! Look at the plus side of it...at least it's a DRY heat...so we will start sweating after our 2 minute walk on campus, rather than sweating the second you step out of your apartment door b/c of high humidity ;)

the summers in Davis are pretty damn hot, im ready.....i hope.....i think....AHHHH:laugh:

U bet. I'm definitely in the "what have I gotten myself into???" phase. I hear it gets better after the 1st semester or so.

In a way yes it gets better after the first quarter, but your second quarter of first year is probably the toughest term (other than maybe 2nd quarter of 2nd year). But fall quarter is tough because you have to get used to the volume and speed at which the material is presented. At first I thought there's no way I can remember this amount of info, but you'll really surprise yourself. Although I didn't particularly enjoy 1st year, I'm glad it got me used to how things work so 2nd year didn't completely kick my ass. But believe me, by the end of second year you'll be so sick of classes and endless exams that you'll be excited to kick into rotations and finally see patients. My concern is that I'll forget alot of the mountain of information I crammed the past two years!

I'll be coming from Central California (CSU Fresno).:thumbup:

In a way yes it gets better after the first quarter, but your second quarter of first year is probably the toughest term (other than maybe 2nd quarter of 2nd year). But fall quarter is tough because you have to get used to the volume and speed at which the material is presented. At first I thought there's no way I can remember this amount of info, but you'll really surprise yourself. Although I didn't particularly enjoy 1st year, I'm glad it got me used to how things work so 2nd year didn't completely kick my ass. But believe me, by the end of second year you'll be so sick of classes and endless exams that you'll be excited to kick into rotations and finally see patients. My concern is that I'll forget alot of the mountain of information I crammed the past two years!

Must be a nice feeling to be past all those exams. By the way, where do people study when not at home (I've got a young child and it will be impossible to work at home I fear)--are there enough little cubicles and hiding places around campus, in the library, etc.?

Must be a nice feeling to be past all those exams. By the way, where do people study when not at home (I've got a young child and it will be impossible to work at home I fear)--are there enough little cubicles and hiding places around campus, in the library, etc.?

There are plenty of places to study away from home. I tend to get distracted at home so I love to go other places. Last year I studied at the library quite a bit since there are plenty of cubicles and comfortable places to study. I also tend to hit up borders, b&n, and random coffee shops for a change of scene. There's a starbuck's close to campus that's not bad and other coffee shops like Coffee Bean and Papa's Perks. So don't worry you'll find a wide variety of places to study.

Okay I hope you don't think I'm one of those overly persistent to the point of annoying people, but after I sent in my application, I called the director and asked him when he will find out who gets housing. I literally called him back the week he told me he would probably know housing assignments :). The reason you haven't heard anything back is b/c he doesn't cash the deposits or send out any mail notifications until June I think. But if you want, you can call him and ask if you got an apartment (a.k.a be a pain in the butt like me :oops: ). Hope you get a place on campus...good luck!

Don't worry Birdie,

I'm just as bad, hence my asking you about it. :p

And Hello all! I'm from SoCal! I'm super stoked about starting school, but dreading the studying and the heat. See you guys soon.

Don't worry Birdie,

I'm just as bad, hence my asking you about it. :p

And Hello all! I'm from SoCal! I'm super stoked about starting school, but dreading the studying and the heat. See you guys soon.

The heat's not too bad. You get used to it. It's much better than the 85% humidity of Central Illinois and once it cools off. It's amazing from October to April.

This is more intended for current MSI/MSII students. I was wondering where you guys bought your text books and if it's possible to find out what books are required for each class so I could find the best prices online. Also, how often did you guys read/relied on your books? A DMU student told me that it's hard to read through the textbooks because there is not enough time to read with all the lecture notes, pdf, etc. I'm sure there are books that are worth buying than others. Any suggestions would be great.
I am currently an MSI. Save yourself some money and don't buy any books ahead of time. I know a lot of people who bought books for every class. It's a total waste. Tests come directly from the notes for all classes. Texts are mostly for pictures and clarification. The only one you ABSOLUTELY cannot do without is a Netter Atlas, but clubs sell it at a discounted price once school starts. Once you get here, your big sisters/brothers (MSII mentors) may want to sell their old books to you...that is if you don't mind having an old version. Also, you can check out older editions of the texts from the library to keep for a couple weeks at a time. Current editions are also available for viewing, but cannot be taken out of the library. So. Just wait on books. The only things you might want to search the internet for are otoscope/opthalmoscope and stethoscope. The bookstore rips the students off on those.

I am currently an MSI. Save yourself some money and don't buy any books ahead of time. I know a lot of people who bought books for every class. It's a total waste. Tests come directly from the notes for all classes. Texts are mostly for pictures and clarification. The only one you ABSOLUTELY cannot do without is a Netter Atlas, but clubs sell it at a discounted price once school starts. Once you get here, your big sisters/brothers (MSII mentors) may want to sell their old books to you...that is if you don't mind having an old version. Also, you can check out older editions of the texts from the library to keep for a couple weeks at a time. Current editions are also available for viewing, but cannot be taken out of the library. So. Just wait on books. The only things you might want to search the internet for are otoscope/opthalmoscope and stethoscope. The bookstore rips the students off on those.

Thanks for the headsup Goozbah. So how was your first year? Everything you expected? Nothing you expected? Any advice for us incoming classmen? Thanks for any suggestions!!!!!

I agree about the text books and equipment. Wait to get a Netter's from SOMA in the fall. I bought the main text for anatomy and thought it was helpful. The only other fall quarter class I would get a book for is histo, but wait to see which ones they are using. I spent about $900 on medical equipment to get the stuff that the bookstore and the Welch Alyn people recommended but wish I would have just got more basic stuff. If you're going to get one good thing, get a nice stethoscope. A basic otoscope and opthalmoscope will work just fine.

I agree about the text books and equipment. Wait to get a Netter's from SOMA in the fall. I bought the main text for anatomy and thought it was helpful. The only other fall quarter class I would get a book for is histo, but wait to see which ones they are using. I spent about $900 on medical equipment to get the stuff that the bookstore and the Welch Alyn people recommended but wish I would have just got more basic stuff. If you're going to get one good thing, get a nice stethoscope. A basic otoscope and opthalmoscope will work just fine.

Definitely, listen! Don't fall for the Welch Allyn sales people. You will have a meeting in orientation about "HOW amazing the Welch Allyn stuff is and how much you need the amazing opthalmoscope" I believe this stuff will run you close to 500-700+ I bought a great Rieser product online for $200 for the otoscope and opthalmoscope. Personally, I've seen that all the places you will work, have these. Unless you're 99% sure that you're doing family practice and you're going to use THIS equipment for the rest of your life with you, don't go hog wild. Get what will get you through medical school. Mine works great and it's more compact...

A stethoscope is a MUST. Littmann's SEII is a great low price model ($70) and you will get great sound. It will give you all of the great sounds you need to become a doctor. However, if you do want to get a nicer Welch Allyn or High end Littman cardio steth, it will not be a poor investment. Honestly, my $15 dollar stethoscope when I was an EMT, I could hear pretty well and even hear pretty good heart sounds. Eventually, it's how well the ears are trained and not necessarily how high-end your stethoscope. If it's in good shape and works, it'll get you the sound.

As for books, wait... There's plenty of time. Amazon is great. And you'll get great prices... I buy 95% of my books from there.

As for general advice, enjoy your summer. Studying isn't really beneficial. All the info is in the notes. You'll get ramped up to the amount of the material. I can't say that anything I could have done on my own could have prepared me for medical school amount. It truly is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant. You'll get used to it though... It won't get too (I stress "too") until 2nd quarter. (You still might feel overwhelmed, but you'll make it.)

Cheers, sorry about the novel...

Matt-How much more is tuition 3rd year?

Actaully I don't think tuition is any more third year than first and second. But you have to borrow more money because you technically in school year round. So that means you have to borrow more private loan money for living expenses and the like.

Definitely, listen! Don't fall for the Welch Allyn sales people. You will have a meeting in orientation about "HOW amazing the Welch Allyn stuff is and how much you need the amazing opthalmoscope" I believe this stuff will run you close to 500-700+ I bought a great Rieser product online for $200 for the otoscope and opthalmoscope. Personally, I've seen that all the places you will work, have these. Unless you're 99% sure that you're doing family practice and you're going to use THIS equipment for the rest of your life with you, don't go hog wild. Get what will get you through medical school. Mine works great and it's more compact...

A stethoscope is a MUST. Littmann's SEII is a great low price model ($70) and you will get great sound. It will give you all of the great sounds you need to become a doctor. However, if you do want to get a nicer Welch Allyn or High end Littman cardio steth, it will not be a poor investment. Honestly, my $15 dollar stethoscope when I was an EMT, I could hear pretty well and even hear pretty good heart sounds. Eventually, it's how well the ears are trained and not necessarily how high-end your stethoscope. If it's in good shape and works, it'll get you the sound.

As for books, wait... There's plenty of time. Amazon is great. And you'll get great prices... I buy 95% of my books from there.

As for general advice, enjoy your summer. Studying isn't really beneficial. All the info is in the notes. You'll get ramped up to the amount of the material. I can't say that anything I could have done on my own could have prepared me for medical school amount. It truly is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant. You'll get used to it though... It won't get too (I stress "too") until 2nd quarter. (You still might feel overwhelmed, but you'll make it.)

Cheers, sorry about the novel...

Thanks for all the info. I just want to save as much money as I can. I hated wasting money on books during UG that I never used. I don't want to buy a book that will just collect dust and when I go to sell it gets me at most 35% of my money back. I'm like most entering students in that i'm a bit apprehensive about school since it's only 3 months away. ahhhhhhhhhh. thanks again for the info.

Hi all!

I applied late(barely making the secondary deadline) and interviewed at AZCOM very late as well, on April 19th. I just received word back from them that I've been provisionally accepted--in other words, all their deposits for spots in the class of 2011 are currently in, but that they're expecting some people to drop, at which point they'll call me and let me in. In the event that an opening doesn't come up, they've guaranteed a spot for me in the class of 2012. Anyone know how high the probability is that I'll get a spot for the class of 2011? Does anyone know a student that was in this situation? Thanks!

Hi all!

I applied late(barely making the secondary deadline) and interviewed at AZCOM very late as well, on April 19th. I just received word back from them that I've been provisionally accepted--in other words, all their deposits for spots in the class of 2011 are currently in, but that they're expecting some people to drop, at which point they'll call me and let me in. In the event that an opening doesn't come up, they've guaranteed a spot for me in the class of 2012. Anyone know how high the probability is that I'll get a spot for the class of 2011? Does anyone know a student that was in this situation? Thanks!

StaryMagic,

I had this same situation last year. It worked out well for me. I had to wait about 3-4 weeks (I think) to hear for certain. They called me and told me I was "provisionally accepted" on the day that my KCUMB deposit was due ($2000), I ended up passing on KCUMB for the chance at AZCOM. It worked out for me and they said that they've never had anyone NOT get off the "provisional list". I just accepted the idea of waiting a year in order to go to AZCOM and I ended up getting that acceptance. Waitlists are all about chances though, "usually" people do drop off but there's obviously no "guarantee". The guarantee you do have is the 2012 class. If you have a good job and really want to go to AZCOM, I'd just bank on getting in this year and if not, wait til next year. You're in.

Nick