Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FINALLY received my first interview invite (I applied a bit late, 9/13 MCAT) with Boston University.
29N.
Keep your hopes up.

Nice job! When were you complete?

No news still from any schools and I was complete around Oct 15 for all.

Members don't see this ad.

10b 10p 9v

GW Med Interview

MCAT= 25O, 8V,8P,9B, GPA= 3.75, science GPA = 3.8ish

Applied early decision to NEOUCOM in July, received and sent in secondary app in late August, interviewed in mid September, accepted late September. I am 29, married with a 3 year old and son due in April. I worked as an inner city police officer for 4.5 years before deciding to return to school and pursue medicine. I've volunteered doing clinical research in a pediatric ED. I also received a fellowship doing surgical research this past summer (I beat out undergrads as well as current medical students for the fellowship, yes I'm patting myself on the back). A 25 MCAT is not the end of the world, but you had better have something else to offer a med school to show that you're capable of being a good student/doctor. I'm convinced that if I didn't have such a diverse background that I would not have been accepted. Also, getting your apps in as early as possible is key (beating a dead horse here, I think everyone knows this by now). Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice job! When were you complete?

No news still from any schools and I was complete around Oct 15 for all.
I was complete around the same time, mid-Octoberish. I received an email Sunday morning saying BU was unable to offer me an interview. On Monday, I got an email saying that was a mistake and they invited me. I'll be there Jan 28!

You can see my MDapps for details. I know how crushing it feels to be so close yet so far from that "magic" 30 number :) Yay 29s!!

Where you guys getting interviews later in the cycle? By later I mean post December.

Guys I applied with 29Q ... started out with 2.7 in high school college courses, then 3.8-4.0 through out college.... i applied REALLY REALLY late this cycle ,... im talking november. My application was complete at most school around mid to late november... and yestoday i got my first interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes... its an ALLO school! keep ya hopes up... even if you applied late with a sub 30 score, there is still hope! Hang in there!:D:D:xf::xf:

Just giving this thread a bump to say hang in there everyone! :luck::luck:

28 MCAT - 3 Allo interviews so far and 1 ACCEPTANCE offer

I had already started thinking about registering for another MCAT date =)

MCAT: 23Q (1st time), 27R (2nd time)
cGPA: 3.81. scienceGPA: 3.78

Reapplicant.

2 osteopathic interviews.
1 osteopathic acceptance. :)

1 allopathic rejection
2 allopathic pre-interview holds
numerous outstanding allopathic applications ...and the waiting sucks!

...I feel like I shouldn't hold my breath for any allopathic love this application cycle.

Congratulations to all those who have been accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting to hear! Stay positive! :)

Happy Holidays to all!

27m

6 interviews

1 acceptance allo =)

Last Year: 2008

3 Allopathic Interviews
3 Waitlists which became rejections

This Year: 2009
1 Osteopathic Interview
1 Osteopathic Acceptance: UMDNJ-SOM

No Allopathic Interviews
3 Allopathic Rejections
1 Pre-Interview Hold (1 Other Unofficial hold from MCW)
No other news from several others

My Stats: 3.89 Overall GPA, 3.89 BCPM; 29R 12 PS, 9 VR, and 8BS

3 Allopathic Interviews

1 Osteopathic Interview

No Allopathic Interviews
3 Allopathic Rejections

thats strange you havent had more success this season. You seem to have a great app. Congrats on UMDNJ, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Finished my file in early dec to about 13 schools. have had 1 interview and 3 rejections -- had a 29mcat with lots of extra curriculars and clinical experience. should i be nervous i haven't heard back more?

Finished my file in early dec to about 13 schools. have had 1 interview and 3 rejections -- had a 29mcat with lots of extra curriculars and clinical experience. should i be nervous i haven't heard back more?

No. If you've only been complete for a month or so you should not expect to have been reviewed everywhere

Don't lose hope yet...I thought my MCAT score would kill my application, but it has turned out 1000% better than I expected.

5 Allo Interviews
1 Osteopathic Interview

Osteopathic Acceptance!
1 Allo Acceptance (so far, counting on the match for a higher choice)

29P PS 12 VR 7 BS 10
cGPA: 3.80 sGPA: 3.68

29R, 3.51 undergrad, 3.8 SMP : 5 (6) interviews: VCU, EVMS, Boston U, Tufts, University of Vermont (Loyola, if they ever make good on their deal with giving us our guaranteed interview) - all invited between Sept and Nov 08.

VCU - waiting decision
EVMS - top third of waitlist
Boston U - deferred decision until March
Tufts - accepted :)
UVM - waitlisted
Loyola - who knows

I think the key was my special master program grades and good LORs. And I applied really early....as soon as AMCAS was up and running I submitted. I have always heard that applying early gives you way better chances.

Still no interview love :(
29Q and 3.62 gpa

I have been complete at all my schools since early/mid october except UCSF where I've been complete a week. Only 1 Rejection (Iowa)

I want an interview :(

My complete schools:

Albany Medical College
Creighton University
Dartmouth College
Drexel University
Jefferson Medical College
New York Medical College
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Francisco
University of Cincinnati
University of Pennsylvania

3 Allopathic Interviews

1 Osteopathic Interview

No Allopathic Interviews
3 Allopathic Rejections

why didn't you retake your MCAT? that's clearly the reason you didn't have luck last year. if you don't fix your #1 weakness in your app when you reapply, then of course you're going to do worse the 2nd time.

I see you got an osteopathic acceptance, though. so, looks like it worked out.

I took the MCAT 2x in one year.

1st time: 25P (8,7,P,10)
2nd time: 27Q (8,10,Q,9)
(Some schools took the higher score in each section, some just the latest, check with your school of interest.)
My GPA isn't anything special.

I applied to 9 GOOD MD schools and received secondaries back from ALL of the schools I applied to. They came in 2 waves. One that sent them out based on an MCAT score cutoff that I passed or that came automatically. The other set came in after my second set of scores cleared.
I completed 6 out of the 9 secondaries. The ones that didn't have essays I completed them as soon as I could. The other ones I got to them when I could. Get them done ASAP if you can. I was actually late in the game. Some i didn't finish because I knew I didn't want to go there or I found out about my decision.
So far I have had 5 interviews/invites and the other I'm still in the runnings according to the Dean.
I have been accepted to my #1 so far! (UIowa Carver COM):D

Remember that you are more than your scores. Stay involved, shadow, volunteer, and do research if you can. Show that you are a leader.
Make sure your essays are on point! Have professors, friends, and others read your whole application. That could make the difference.
Reach out to the admissions offices of the schools you are interested in.
Practice for that interview!

Nothing is impossible with Christ!! Prayer and trusting in Him got me through!
:)

Hope this helps...

this is a much needed thread for anyone struggling with the MCAT.

I started out at a 15 on the mcat! took me 2 years but im hovering around the 27-32 range with a certain degree of fluctuation.

Congrats to all you guys!

I took the MCAT twice:

1st time: 9 PS 10 VR 10 BS = 29R
2nd time: 8 PS 9 VR 11 BS = 28R

So I actually went down in two sections but up in BS, giving me a 30S when looking at the best in each section.

I applied to ~18 schools including 3 DO (but only completed 1 secondary).

I have completed two MD interviews, have one scheduled, and received a DO interview.

I was accepted to an MD school very early this year. After that acceptance, I withdrew from the DO schools.

My advice: work on all your ECs, build stellar relationships with faculty to ensure excellent LORs, and work on your interview skills. The school I was accepted to asked me outright "What happened with your MCAT??" I had thought about this answer and explained my thoughts and feelings about it. He must have been satisfied, as I was accepted.

Best of luck!

-BP

BOOM! Posting first interview invite

School: Creighton University
MCAT: 8P/9V/11B/O
cGPA: 3.25 (includes post-bacc)
BCPM: 3.25 (includes post-bacc)

I got an interview invite after the new year with a 28O :)

Anyone else?

I applied with a 29Q (my first MCAT was a 28Q) and received a total of 7 interview invites. Four of them were for MD-PhD programs, and I currently have an acceptance. My GPA was 3.76 when I applied, with a 3.73 BCPM.

28P with 2 interviews ! i just got them 2 weeks ago so there is still hope ! i have had one already and i have another in a few days.. hopefully one will be an acceptance :xf::xf::xf: good luck everyone !! you can do it !

29M (8P, 10B, 11V) & 3.65 sci gpa. 3 interviews (last yr) at U of Maryland, GW, Tulane. Accepted at GW & Tulane after a 2 month wait post-interview. Deferred a yr to have a baby. Starting at GW this fall! Class of 2013!!!

I heard from one of my friends that they had a 29 mcat and still got into a top 10 school because of some remarkable ECs, a great GPA, extensive clinical experience, and great interviewing skills.

3 Allo / 1 Osteo Interview here:
UCLA
Loma Linda
SUNY Buffalo
Western U

with a 29Q. I did an informal post-bac.

No news from any of the schools yet (SUNY interview in 2 weeks), but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an acceptance!

Science and Cummulative GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 27N

1 DO acceptance at Des Moines University
1 MD acceptance at UW-Madison

My top DO and my top MD programs! I'm super psyched! :banana:

Science and Cummulative GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 27N

1 DO acceptance at Des Moines University
1 MD acceptance at UW-Madison

My top DO and my top MD programs! I'm super psyched! :banana:

Congrats! How did you like DMU? I have an interview there 3-6-09.

I had 25S first take, 29S second take. 3.38 overall GPA and 3.89 BCPM GPA. One allo interview, one allo acceptance!!!

Don't give up hope fellow sub 30 MCATers!!

Congrats! How did you like DMU? I have an interview there 3-6-09.

I loved it! I'm going to end up at my state school instead of DMU, but it is a hard acceptance to decline. The facilities were incredible-especially the sim labs. They are very welcoming and the interview was pretty laid back-they really tried to put you at ease so they could get a true sense of who you are. I was really excited when I was offered a position in the class! I could totally have seen myself going there!

Good luck with your interview! :luck:

I got a 29M & ended up w/7 interview invites (plus 2 DO) & 2 acceptances so far :)

i just got an acceptance with a 28P !!!!! you guys can do it !!

Hey there, for everyone still waiting I thought I'd add another encouraging story. Applied REALLY LATE with a 28 and 3.83. 2 MD interviews, 1 DO interview. 1 MD waitlist, 1 DO acceptance, and.....wait for it......1 MD acceptance this past week. Keep workin' hard and keep hope alive.

im sad to see the 27-29 mcaters so quiet! im currently waiting/praying for good news and check this thread for some encouragement. hopefully everyone is quiet because they are out celebrating their acceptances!!:rolleyes:

I have a 29Q and a 3.62 gpa...I applied pretty early and I was very happy to have received 3 allo interviews....one was a rejection, one is currently a waitlist and I finally received an acceptance about 2 weeks ago. I also applied osteo and got an acceptance in Dec but have since withdrawn...

Updating my quote from ages ago=>

3 Allopathic Interviews

1 Osteopathic Interview
1 School with No News

1 Allopathic Interview (Update: Drexel which I had today; decision in 6-8 weeks)
7 Allopathic Rejections

Bacchus, why did you choose not to attend your Jeff interview? I thought it was your #1 choice.

1) They were way too late. 2) I've committed a lot to PCOM and don't want to lose that.

If Jeff would have interviewed me earlier it might be a different story. I made them full aware that was my primary reason for not going.

1) They were way too late. 2) I've committed a lot to PCOM and don't want to lose that.

If Jeff would have interviewed me earlier it might be a different story. I made them full aware that was my primary reason for not going.

I definitely understand your POV. On the other hand, I received an invite from Drexel and decided to accept it. Don't get me wrong, I love UMDNJ-SOM as I went to their accepted students' day event. But I am very open-minded and see Drexel as a realization to still get the MD degree. As such, I do not see any real difference between the MD and DO schools, but with Drexel, an acceptance there would give me an option to choose. Basically, I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

So in about 6-8 weeks, either nothing changes and I go to UMDNJ SOM or I get the privilege to choose.

I understand where you're coming from but I didn't want to put myself in that position since there are already heavy factors that would sway my decision (huge deposit, a signed lease, friendships with future classmates, mentor influence, etc).

I finally can post on here :D

I got a 26 (twice) PS 9 V 7 BS 10 and I got an interview May 1 with an in-state school here in FL (my only interview offer). Yesterday they called me and offer me a seat, I was the last person to interview and I wasnt even put on a waitlist.

This is for all of you <30s people out there. Dont feel bad that you didnt score well, just keep trying and don't give up. This thread really cheered me up because it shows that there hope. And have faith that things will work out.... also apply to school that doesnt put alot of emphasis on MCAT score helps.

Good luck to all

HELLPPPPP....

so i am another disappointed mcat taker... i got a 29, but it was a weird 29P for me... PS 9 VR 9 BS 11

It was weird because I took all the TPR and the AMCAS tests, and for the last 8 or so I was averaged a 30 on TPR and a 32 on AMCAS. I know that's not much higher, but their weird part is I almost ALWAYS made a 10 or 11 on VR and PS... so I was weirded out to see those 9's.

I am thinking about retaking on August 14... just reviewing and getting my hands on some Kaplan tests I guess? I feel I could do better since I had to rush through the last 2 PS sections on June 18 and I'm sure this affected Verbal. BUT I know the chances of doing a lot better are pretty slim...

In addition I only have a 3.45 GPA, 3.29 BSPM... a lot of good random, leadership, and medical EC's and URM (I hate that it matters but just being real....)

Thoughts? Should I take the risk?
user_offline.gif