-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
ATSU-SOMA Class of 2013
Started by thanecyan
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Anyone out there?
I am, haha. Well, 90% there. I love SOMA, but there are days when I get freaked out and wonder if it is the right decision... After Dec 15, though, I'll feel much more sure.
I am, haha. Well, 90% there. I love SOMA, but there are days when I get freaked out and wonder if it is the right decision... After Dec 15, though, I'll feel much more sure.
Well I know how you feel but I'm 100% after today, the 15th was getting too close. I feel a little punk rock for choosing SOMA but I'm relieved and excited.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I know how you feel but I'm 100% after today, the 15th was getting too close. I feel a little punk rock for choosing SOMA but I'm relieved and excited.
Actually, it's official for me now, too - sent in the deposit. Punk rock - haha, that is a really good way of describing how it feels to choose SOMA over more established, traditional, (boring) schools! I'm excited to meet you and everyone else who would be attracted to SOMA!
2
213965
I hope I can "officially" post here in 2-3 weeks from Friday... 😳
Renny, I've said it elsewhere, but from what I've seen, you shouldn't have any problems at the interview tomorrow! Good luck again anyway, though, 😀.
I interviewed there on Oct. 20.
I interviewed there on Oct. 20.
Hey everyone,
Just accepted to ATSU! Anyone from LA coming? Just curious and I thought I'd try start a forum for us newbies entering in July '09. I just wanna know if anyone's found housing or knows of the best places to live around the campus.
Good Luck Everyone and hope to hear from you all soon!
Just accepted to ATSU! Anyone from LA coming? Just curious and I thought I'd try start a forum for us newbies entering in July '09. I just wanna know if anyone's found housing or knows of the best places to live around the campus.
Good Luck Everyone and hope to hear from you all soon!
Hey everyone,
Just accepted to ATSU! Anyone from LA coming? Just curious and I thought I'd try start a forum for us newbies entering in July '09. I just wanna know if anyone's found housing or knows of the best places to live around the campus.
Good Luck Everyone and hope to hear from you all soon!
Did you get your acceptance packet in the mail yet? In mine they sent a long list of apartment complexes with phone, email, websites on it. It was pretty helpful for getting an idea of what the area has to offer. When can we start signing contacts and stuff anyway?
No, not yet. It should be coming in middle of the week. Pretty excited. 🙂
Did you get your acceptance packet in the mail yet? In mine they sent a long list of apartment complexes with phone, email, websites on it. It was pretty helpful for getting an idea of what the area has to offer. When can we start signing contacts and stuff anyway?
Just got housing options. Theres a lot of available places. Any recommendations? Oh and I like SDN and all but I think I'm gonna start a Facebook group. I remember reading somewhere that the admissions office is regulating it now? is that true?
2
213965
Hey everyone, I'm in!!!
As for housing, from what I gathered at the interview, there are lots of affordable (and nice) apartments nearby that are all pretty much the same price-range. So about $700 for one bedroom or $1000 for 2 bd/2 ba which is probably would I would end up splitting with someone so like $500/month per person or if you rent a room in a house it would probably be even cheaper.
Also, with all the construction going on I heard it's best to bring your car if you have one, although I guess some people still walk/bike no problem.
I'm so excited to meet everyone in July!!!
As for housing, from what I gathered at the interview, there are lots of affordable (and nice) apartments nearby that are all pretty much the same price-range. So about $700 for one bedroom or $1000 for 2 bd/2 ba which is probably would I would end up splitting with someone so like $500/month per person or if you rent a room in a house it would probably be even cheaper.
Also, with all the construction going on I heard it's best to bring your car if you have one, although I guess some people still walk/bike no problem.
I'm so excited to meet everyone in July!!!
Hey everyone, I'm in!!!
.
.
.
I'm so excited to meet everyone in July!!!
That's awesome! Kind of funny too, I was just starting to read your posts from back in October when you started to ask questions about the school. Congratulations! I hope I make it too.
Anyone who can give me some advice.... I interviewed on 12/12. When I spoke with an admissions councilor, they said I was put on the alternate list and the council will be meeting again in January. Also, the councilor looked over my file and said I was a strong candidate.... What does this exactly mean and how is an alternate list different from a wait-list (other than the committee will review my file again in Jan)?? Thanks for any help.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When are we going to get more info as to exactly when school starts, if we need to buy a tablet PC, etc? So far all I've gotten is a Christmas card - which is nice, but bring on the info about next year! I'm way too excited, and want to know details!
Has anyone received the online ATSU info ? (such as email accounts, etc.)
nope. I saw on their website, which still has last year's info up, that they were supposed to get this stuff about 2 weeks after they put their deposits in. Guess they're kind of behind this year.
I'm a current 2011 student. Orientation will probably start the last week of July. You will be required to get a tablet PC, but the school will arrange for the one you need and you will have to order it through the company they set it up with.
My advice to you is to enjoy this time off before school starts. Have fun! And don't stress too much about getting all the details for school...they will come. Being in the first class we didn't get all our info until June...trust me..you have plenty of time.
My advice to you is to enjoy this time off before school starts. Have fun! And don't stress too much about getting all the details for school...they will come. Being in the first class we didn't get all our info until June...trust me..you have plenty of time.
Haha, I know, I know. It's not really stressing me out, but I'm just way excited!
Happy 2009! This is the year that we start medical school!
Hey all,
I'm pretty excited about starting this July! Hopefully, as it gets closer more people will start posting on this thread. Anyone know how many students are expected to be in 2013? Also, when is everyone planning to move into their apartments. I was probably going to secure a place by the end of June on weekend trip. Anyone coming from Southern California area?
Anyways, here's the FB group page.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=33194712075
🙂
I'm pretty excited about starting this July! Hopefully, as it gets closer more people will start posting on this thread. Anyone know how many students are expected to be in 2013? Also, when is everyone planning to move into their apartments. I was probably going to secure a place by the end of June on weekend trip. Anyone coming from Southern California area?
Anyways, here's the FB group page.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=33194712075
🙂
Just so ya'll know, class starts July 20th! I sent them an email asking when I should move down there, since they don't have a calendar for our class up on the site.
If I were you guys/gals, I would join the 2011 and 2012 KCOM facebook groups. I am sure a 2013 group will be started soon. If you post on those pages, there will be plenty of people to give you advise. Just so you guys know, I live 2 miles from the school, so I either bike, ride my motorcycle or have my wife drop me off. The benefits of living farther from campus is bigger and cheaper pad (usually).
Last edited:
Just so ya'll know, class starts July 20th! I sent them an email asking when I should move down there, since they don't have a calendar for our class up on the site.
Thanks for finding out! I've been waiting for a calendar too, so having a start date is getting me even more excited! 🙂
More info from SOMA - White Coat Ceremony July 20th.
SOMA White Coat Ceremony
7:30am-11:30am Introductions/Welcome, etc. on campus
12:30pm - Open Doors to Auditorium for SOMA families
12:50pm - SOMA students line up; faculty takes seat on stage
1pm - Student Processional into auditorium
1pm-2:15pm - SOMA White Coat
2:15-2:45pm SOMA Class Photos on Stage
2:15-3:30pm - Post-event Reception for SOMA faculty/staff, students and families
According to SOMA, this is tentative. I think I have to plan on being in Arizona a week or so earlier than I thought!
SOMA White Coat Ceremony
7:30am-11:30am Introductions/Welcome, etc. on campus
12:30pm - Open Doors to Auditorium for SOMA families
12:50pm - SOMA students line up; faculty takes seat on stage
1pm - Student Processional into auditorium
1pm-2:15pm - SOMA White Coat
2:15-2:45pm SOMA Class Photos on Stage
2:15-3:30pm - Post-event Reception for SOMA faculty/staff, students and families
According to SOMA, this is tentative. I think I have to plan on being in Arizona a week or so earlier than I thought!
Also, news from the financial aid office. I have REALLY been wanting more info as to this stuff.
"Go ahead and submit your 2009-2010 FAFSA (using your 2008 tax return). When we begin processing your class in a couple of months, we will use the results to create an award letter, which we will send electronically. All of the information you need will come at that time."
"Go ahead and submit your 2009-2010 FAFSA (using your 2008 tax return). When we begin processing your class in a couple of months, we will use the results to create an award letter, which we will send electronically. All of the information you need will come at that time."
yay! I just submitted my fafsa and was waiting on hearing something, so that's helpful 🙂
I have a feeling this answer is going to be pretty obvious but is SOMA emailing you this information? I can't find updated info anywhere.
Yeah, I've just sent them a few emails and these are their responses.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just found this thread...feels good to come over to the "Medical Students" forum instead of the "Pre-Med" forums!
I'm leaning very strongly toward SOMA, but still waiting for my acceptance packet in the mail. It's far from home, more expensive, and I won't have a car...but I LOVED SOMA when I was there.
Congrats to everyone so far...hopefully see you in July!
I'm leaning very strongly toward SOMA, but still waiting for my acceptance packet in the mail. It's far from home, more expensive, and I won't have a car...but I LOVED SOMA when I was there.
Congrats to everyone so far...hopefully see you in July!
The OFFICIAL facebook group is here:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=55238836629&ref=mf
You have to request to add, and I think that they're only going to be accepting people into the group who have been accepted to the school.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=55238836629&ref=mf
You have to request to add, and I think that they're only going to be accepting people into the group who have been accepted to the school.
I just found this thread...feels good to come over to the "Medical Students" forum instead of the "Pre-Med" forums!
I'm leaning very strongly toward SOMA, but still waiting for my acceptance packet in the mail. It's far from home, more expensive, and I won't have a car...but I LOVED SOMA when I was there.
Congrats to everyone so far...hopefully see you in July!
Definitely feels good to be clicking 'Medical' now. 😉
If July 20 is your date then that means your white coat is earlier than ours. Congratulations on your decision to everyone. I have the website link for the computers but they might change specs or something else on the computers which would also alter pricing so I hesitate to pass it on. If you want to know anything specific, send me a message and I will try to give you my opinion.
More info from SOMA - White Coat Ceremony July 20th.
SOMA White Coat Ceremony
7:30am-11:30am Introductions/Welcome, etc. on campus
12:30pm - Open Doors to Auditorium for SOMA families
12:50pm - SOMA students line up; faculty takes seat on stage
1pm - Student Processional into auditorium
1pm-2:15pm - SOMA White Coat
2:15-2:45pm SOMA Class Photos on Stage
2:15-3:30pm - Post-event Reception for SOMA faculty/staff, students and families
According to SOMA, this is tentative. I think I have to plan on being in Arizona a week or so earlier than I thought!
Hi all, I am tentatively coming to SOMA, still waiting to hear from KCOM, if I get in both places I don't know which I would choose! They are so different but there were a lot of things that attracted me to both schools. Maybe I won't get into KCOM and then I won't have to decide... Anyway, I'm coming down from Utah, anyone else? Has anyone decided what CHC they want yet?
Hi all, I am tentatively coming to SOMA, still waiting to hear from KCOM, if I get in both places I don't know which I would choose! They are so different but there were a lot of things that attracted me to both schools. Maybe I won't get into KCOM and then I won't have to decide... Anyway, I'm coming down from Utah, anyone else? Has anyone decided what CHC they want yet?
Tough choice, my friend. But just think to yourself. "Am I a totally awesome person?" If the answer to that is "yes!" then you should probably go to SOMA.
I did my undergrad in Provo, but am living in Wyoming at the moment. I really really liked Brooklyn's CHC. I haven't visited any of the other ones, but I can't really see myself living in AZ for any extended amount of time. You never know when the Hoover Dam's going to give and everyone in AZ will have to start drinking their pool water....
Seriously, though, the thought of living in AZ for longer than a year just really isn't that appealing. Maybe I will change my mind when we get there, though, haha. But for the moment, we are planning on one of the CHC's up north (NYC, Seattle, Portland).
I had to choose between more traditional schools and SOMA, and in the end it was the coffee mug that won me over to SOMA. Also the visit to the CHC. If you're having a hard time deciding, I would try to get to one of the CHC's (kind of difficult in UT, I know) but it was so very worth it to me to meet the students and physicians at the NYC CHC. I am really looking forward to developing close relationships with the nine or so cohorts that are at whatever CHC I end up at. And the opportunity to work so closely with physicians at the CHC for 3 years was very appealing.
Besides all of that, I already posted here on SDN how I think I will learn better at SOMA than I would at a more traditional school, and that will help me to do well on the boards.
Last edited:
Yeah, I would love to get to one of the CHC's and check it out, maybe I'll try to convince my husband to go to AZ or CA for a long weekend with me to see what it's like. What I really like about SOMA is the 3 years at the CHC as well as the way the classes are set up. I can see myself learning a lot better with the SOMA curriculum than with the more traditional curriculum. It just makes me a little nervous that there haven't been any board scores yet, but they were established by the founding school of osteopathy so I guess they do have a lot of experience with these things. Man this is going to be a tough one, made even harder by the fact that I know my husband would rather us go to KCOM...
For me it was about a week and a halfhow long did it take to hear back about an interview after you submitted secondaries?
Hey I'm working on my FAFSA and I had a quick question. If I am pretty confident my parents make too much for me to be considered for need-based aid (like the perkins loan), should I even bother getting them to fill out their information for me? Is there anything else that information would be needed for? Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I'm working on my FAFSA and I had a quick question. If I am pretty confident my parents make too much for me to be considered for need-based aid (like the perkins loan), should I even bother getting them to fill out their information for me? Is there anything else that information would be needed for? Thanks!
Natrod,
I wouldn't fill it out. I'm pretty sure that the financial aid officer who spoke with us told us not to bother filling that section out if our parents aren't low income, especially since our parents would have to disclose lots of info about their financial situation.
She also stated that as professional students we are not required to fill that part out.
Just my $0.02 🙂
Hey I'm working on my FAFSA and I had a quick question. If I am pretty confident my parents make too much for me to be considered for need-based aid (like the perkins loan), should I even bother getting them to fill out their information for me? Is there anything else that information would be needed for? Thanks!
The financial aid office told me that our parent's info doesn't disqualify us from any money (as grad students) but that some scholarships do require it. I went ahead and put my parents' info on there since they are retired and living on a fixed income. I figured it might help.
But if my parents were making more than 100,000 or so (I just picked that number from out of nowhere, don't hold me to it) I probably wouldn't have bothered to fill it out.
Call up the people who really know what they're talking about - the Financial Aid Office. You could ask them about specifics and get answers right from the source.
Good luck. And know, as you proudly ride the sinking ship of debt down and down and even further down, that you are not alone, if that's any consolation, haha. 🙂
[Good luck. And know, as you proudly ride the sinking ship of debt down and down and even further down, that you are not alone, if that's any consolation, haha. 🙂[/QUOTE]
That's so true! It's pretty wild when the idea of having hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt no longer bothers you too much.
That's so true! It's pretty wild when the idea of having hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt no longer bothers you too much.
Yeah, I don't think I'm going to bother with that then. On another note, has anyone started looking at housing yet? I have found a few places online that look good but I can't decide when would be the best time to head down to scope everything out and get a place set up.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K