Seeking advice on how to be more competitive (And my story)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBoosting

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just joined up yesterday. I did not want to make a "what are my chances" thread, but the more I've been reading around here, the more questions I seem to have. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you want to skip my boring life story, questions are at the bottom, ha.

I'm about to be 26 in August, so for my med school journey, I'll be part of the non-traditional pre-med crowd. I received my first undergraduate degree in 2006. A Bachelor's of Science in Information Technology. As with many non-trad's, my first undergraduate GPA was awful - 2.81 on a 4.0 scale. I was [cliche]young and unfocused[/cliche]. I've always been smart though. I was in gifted programs throughout school and did well in high school. Did joint-enrollment my high school senior year. I just never went to class in college. I had a high GPA in my IT major classes, but I just didn't care much to show up for the core classes. Dropped a lot (W's), F's, took a semester off and moved to Miami to work before coming back and finishing my degree somewhat strong (A's and B's).

Still, overall is a 2.81. I did not take any of the pre-med requirements since they weren't required for me. All I had that is now relevant was Calculus I, which I received a C in.

I'm starting back next month with my med pre-reqs. I'm signed up for Chem I, Chem II, and English I this summer. In Fall I'm signed up for Organic I, Physics I, Bio I, and Calculus I. And before you say that's too much, I'm treating this as a full-time job, and I have had class loads heavier than this before and got Dean's List back when I actually went to class. I'm leaving my cushy full-time and well-paying job as a Software Developer to go back and to this. So for me, failure is not an option. I will be in class or the library studying for classes and the MCAT every day from 8-6, just like a full-time job. I'm very smart and my husband is pre-pharm and has already had all of these classes, so I am not worried about getting A's in the least.

I have a year to study for the MCAT, and again, failure is not an option so I'll be studying for it and mastering the sections as I make it through each class (i.e., during and after finishing Chem, master all the chem practice questions I have). I bought all the Kaplan stuff a month ago, and some practice exams. I'll get ExamKrackers in a few months. And hopefully have time for a class before the MCAT.

Obviously my 2.81 first undergrad GPA will hurt me. After 40 hours of the pre-med reqs, I can get it up to a 3.0 or 3.1 for my overall. My science GPA should really be at least a 3.8 if not 4.0. My MCAT goal is at least a 33.

So here are my questions...

1. When you submit your applications, the schools will see the 3.0-3.1 overall GPA. Do they consider the classes you're signed up for during the next Fall and Spring you're waiting for decisions? These would obviously boost your overall (and science) GPA. So would they ever say "you're accepted as long as you get A's in the Fall and Spring before you start our med school? Are the stats you see for class profiles the average GPA at the time of application, or at the time of undergrad graduation?

2. Can you apply without having completed all of the pre-reqs? I won't complete Biochemistry until the end of the Summer semester (July) 2010 and some schools I'm looking at require or highly recommend it. Can I still apply in June?

3. Fortunately, my family lives in a close-knit neighborhood full of doctors (Yes, I'll be moving back in with my parents to save money :laugh:) So I'll have resources for shadowing and Letters of Recommendation. Our closest family friend in the neighborhood is a Podiatrist. Will shadowing with him at his practice during the summer break be sufficient experience for shadowing? I also plan to volunteer at the hospital and/or clinic to get more experience from now until med school. Other docs in the neighborhood include a cardiologist, pediatrician, anesthesiologist, and oncologist (what I really want to do!). So hopefully I can work with them as well.

4. What kind of extracurricular activities are best? But would activities like inter mural sports matter? Should these still be medical or science related?

5. I've worked for the last year as a software developer for a major player in health care information systems, where we develop EMR systems, practice management, imaging systems, etc. Is this worth mentioning at all? I would hope it might count for a little knowing what office staff and nurses go through on a daily basis (appointments, billing, filing, insurance, HIPAA etc.). It's definitely not clinical, but it seems like it might be beneficial knowing the ins-and-outs of what your staff is responsible for.

6. And I guess since we're in that forum...What are my chances? :laugh: I'm open to MD, DO, and Carribbean. This is going to happen for me. I already have a list of 19 MD schools and 5 DO's. Carribbean schools on my list are Ross and AUC. I went through and wrote down all their requirements and class profiles and deadlines.

I know it was a long read, thanks for getting through it and any advice you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok here goes..
1. Medical schools expect a slight gpa increase in all their students after they have been admitted mainly because everyone has a slight upward trend when applying. Also I wouldn't depend on fall semster courses counting toward your gpa. Hopefully you would have already had an interview before these classes end and perhaps you can bring a midterm report to the school to show any continued improvement. Also, No they wil not tell you that you are accepted as long as you get A's

2. Some schools may allow you to apply if you are currently enrolled in a prerequisite course but you should probably identify those particular schools. Many schools don't require biochem...but I am sure a majority want to see that you have completed your basic sciences before applying.

3. A Podiatrist is not an MD/DO and would probably not be too helpful to shadow. Just find any doctor around and ask them..try any local teaching hospitals first or just browse the yellow pages.

4. Clinical volunteering is an unspoken requirement..other than that pursue some other EC activity that you enjoy and can be proficient in.

5. Any work experience is definitely worth mentioning. Perhaps theres also a supervisor that knows your work ethic/personality and could write you a decent letter of recommendation.

6. A 3.0 gpa seems like the cuttoff for MD schools. With that low of a gpa, you are still at a reach even if you get an MCAT score above 35. DO schools calculate their gpa differently by taking the last grade of any course that you have retaken. So if there is any class that you did especially poorly in during undergrad, you could retake it, replace the grade and rebuilt you gpa much faster than taking new, additional courses. Also DO likes nontraditional applicants and a good life story. Stay away from the Caribbean unless you want to practice medicine there.

Well thats all I got for now...good luck

and search the forum for some more information

agree with the above post.
I don't think not having finished biochem will be a big deal.
Your lower GPA will hurt you big time for MD schools, even if you ace absolutely everything this year. It's just true.
DO schools will likely be more friendly toward you.
It's cool that you worked in health care IT...if you can get through the initial screen of GPA/MCAT you'll have interesting things to talk about.

Be sure you really commit to your courses, as you seem to be willing to do. You don't have much margin for error, GPA-wise.

The Carib schools will probably take you if you do well this year, and do well on the MCAT. My impression is that SABA and St George might be better than Ross and AUC - that is based on looking at where their students match, etc. and the pass rates for the USMLE exams you have to pass to get a US residency. It would probably be less risky to go DO vs. Caribbean,but that is just my impression. US med schools, including DO, are enrolling more students and residencies are not expanding that much right now, so at some point it might get harder and harder for students trained outside the country to get back into residency here in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses.

I'm going to work hard to get my overall above a 3.0. From reading around the forum, it sounds like a computer system may weed out applicants below 3.0 at some schools and they never get a human eye looking at their application. If this is correct, then breaking that 3.0 threshold will be very important. I'd feel much more comfortable knowing at least one person will see my application.

Sounds like an easy question, but I've read so much lately I want to be sure...Is your overall GPA for med school considered to be what your GPA is printed on your transcript, or what AMCAS says it is? Or is that how AMCAS gets your GPA? Seems like I've read about appealing GPA with AMCAS or AMCAS adding other classes to your science GPA, etc. Just want to be sure I know what I have now and what I need to do.

If it comes down to it, I don't mind taking an extra year of classes to boost the overall up even more before applying again.

And so EC's need to be science/medical related? Not sports or clubs or hobbies or anything of that nature?

Is your overall GPA for med school considered to be what your GPA is printed on your transcript, or what AMCAS says it is?
AMCAS takes all the post-high school transcripts you submit and refigures your application GPA for the med schools. If your school forgave or substituted a grade, or gave a 'fresh start,' AMCAS unerases it and includes it.

AMCAS takes all the post-high school transcripts you submit and refigures your application GPA for the med schools. If your school forgave or substituted a grade, or gave a 'fresh start,' AMCAS unerases it and includes it.

I see. Thanks. I think I remember a section in the AMCAS handbook where you can calculate how they see your GPA. I'll try that later tonight.

Do you know of another easier/more automated way to simulate your AMCAS GPA? Maybe along the lines of that med school acceptance chance spreadsheet that's a sticky in the forum?

I think there are plenty of med schools that will weed out applications even with 3.2 GPA, or maybe 3.5 GPA's at some. They get many, many many more applicants than they could possibly accept, so they have to narrow it down somehow. Schools with 3.8-3.9 average GPAs are likely weeding out everyone below 3.4-3.5...just a guess.

Thanks for the link to the spreadsheet.

I'm so bummed now though. According to AMCAS, my GPA is much, much lower than my university thinks it is. Why did I have to be such a loser back then :bang:

So it looks like my cumulative undergrad GPA will be considered a 2.38, Cumulative BCPM a 1.7, and all-other a 2.55.

Am I completely screwed now for med school?

If I take 48 hours and get all A's between now and applying in June of next year, I can get it up to 2.74 overall, 2.97 BCPM, 2.61 all-other. Obviously, not where it needs to be. Post-bacc would all be 4.0 of course.

So what are my options? I don't even think a DO school would accept that. Even with a stellar MCAT, I don't know about MD or DO.

I think waiting one more year and taking ~48 more hours won't even get my overall over a 3.0.

Any suggestions? Should I become a drunk and continue on with my current career?

Don't give up on US schools until you consider how your application GPA will look if you repeat the lowest grades and apply to DO medical schools, which do forgive a retaken grade. Maybe you've already retaken some of your Fs if you needed those classes to graduate. Use this DO GPA calculator for your current transcript to get 1) a baseline, 2) then entering As for the prerequisites you don't have yet, and finally 3) by entering As for any class you think you would be willing to repeat. If you get a GPA over 3.0, then it's reasonable to apply to DO schools with a good MCAT score. There are some DO schools that will take an application with a GPA of 2.75, but you'd need an even better MCAT score. There are always Caribbean schools to consider, but if there is any way to make it into a US school, your chances of becoming a practicing physician are much higher: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050 (DO GPA calculator)

Well, that should make it a bit better. Following what I did on the AMCAS sheet for the DO sheet,

It looks like right now my overall undergrad GPA would be considered a 2.78, and BCP a 3.25.

After my 48 hours getting all A's between now and applying in June of next year, I can get it up to 3.1 overall, 3.86 BCP.

Not optimal, but I definitely think I'll have a shot, especially with a good MCAT.

So maybe I should just apply for a few of the easier MD programs and more of the DO programs. And I'm still researching Caribbean schools.

Thanks for the link Mobius

So maybe I should just apply for a few of the easier MD programs and more of the DO programs. And I'm still researching Caribbean schools.

Thanks for the link Mobius

Even the "easiest" MD program will still have an average student (3.5/29) and ~2000 applicants for 50 spots.

Even the "easiest" MD program will still have an average student (3.5/29) and ~2000 applicants for 50 spots.

QFT :thumbup:

None of them are "easy"...I had a 3.85/31 and got an allo acceptance by the skin of my teeth. Look into DO programs and meet up with a few DOs to see what its like. They're in essence the same thing in practice, so don't buy into the whole "holier than thou" attitude of MD vs DO.

I'd probably also apply to the big 4 unless you are really opposed to the Carib.

I'd probably also apply to the big 4 unless you are really opposed to the Carib.

Big 4? Ross, SGU, ...?

And also I didn't mean to discount any med schools as being easy or will let just anybody in :laugh: I just meant "easier for me to get in to." i.e., in-state schools and schools on the spreadsheet that show High Chance or Hopeful or Go For It

Morehouse would be the easiest state school for you to get into. After that, you're looking at Emory (3.69/34), MCG (3.69/31), Mercer (~3.5/29), and P-COM (no clue on their stats.. but I would guess that they are a 3.5/27).

:(

Big 4? Ross, SGU, ...?

And also I didn't mean to discount any med schools as being easy or will let just anybody in :laugh: I just meant "easier for me to get in to." i.e., in-state schools and schools on the spreadsheet that show High Chance or Hopeful or Go For It

Ross, SGU, AUA, and Saba

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said, but would like to add one more thing: your ECs and clinical experience will be HUGELY important in this situation. You know your stats need to go up, that's a given--But if you are somehow able to get around that aspect and get some interviews, you are going to have to show some damn good evidence that you know this is the right career for you and that you have experience to prove it. DO schools especially look for this in non-trads. I understand that you have all sorts of resources in your neighbors and friends, but you absolutely must use them (no matter how busy you will be studying and getting A's!), and if at all possible, do something more that will distinguish you from 2000 other applicants with doctor friends/neighbors/family as well. You need to make up for 4 years of ECs and clinical experience in one.