My wicked sick PAT tutorial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sama951

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so, because I have an english midterm tomorrow that I don't want to study for, and because there's 600 posts about how impossible TFE is, and also because I'm good at TFE and feel like being a hero, I'm gonna make a little tutorial where I post a couple of them and talk you through the answer! After I do that, you can scan/post any other ones you want and I'll do my best to explain them. I don't use any weird strategies, I just look at the lines and visualize it in 3D. The tips and tricks you hear about might help narrow it down in some cases but if you can visualize it properly you'll be able to get every question every time.

Oh and excuse the fact that there's writing all over my examples, haha.

Ok first one..
Original.jpg

Alright this is a good example for explaining what solid and dashed lines mean.

I assume everyone knows what the different views represent... If not then think of it this way... Imagine a person looking into a camera lens.

A straight up mugshot of the person's face is a "Front" view. Now if you take the camera and move it up, then pivot it and aim it downwards, you've got a "Top" view. Now for the end view, take the camera and put it back in front of the person's face...then you'd take a side-shot of the person's left cheek (but since you're the camera man and you're facing them, you're moving the camera to your right side).

Ok great.

First, looking at the top view, you have one solid line that goes all the way across, from left to right. That means that from a side view, you're only going to have one change in height. Now remember that a straight line like that can mean a straight up drop in height, or it can mean there's a slope with a gradual decline. Looking at all the answers though, it's pretty obvious that we're not looking at any slopes. However, every one of the answers has a single drop in elevation on the top part, so that little bit of information isn't going to narrow it down too dramatically. But... dun dun dun.. look at choice C. Choice C does have a drop in elevation at the top, which is what we decided we're looking for, but it's got the drop at the position of one of the dashed lines (you can tell by the position and thickness of the notch). That's bad! I'm sure this is a trap some people fall into, but yeah, don't. Look at "Fig 1" to see which solid line I'm talking about and where it corresponds to a drop in height in each of the answers (green). Red line = danger = don't fricken do it. Dashed lines do not represent any changes in elevation on the surface they appear on (did that make sense?). Dashed lines are there to show you that there's some kind of height difference deeper into the object, or on the other side all together (what I mean is, it could be a hole that passes through the middle of the object, I'll explain more later if I find an example)

Fig 1
Fig1.jpg

On to the dashed lines we go.

So we've got three horizontal dashed lines on the top view. That means that somewhere in the object, you've got at least 3 extra "walls" (you'll see why I say 'at least' in a second). In other words, there's some kind of height change somewhere that isnt visible from the top. Based on the relative positions of the lines, you'll be able to figure out where the 'height' differences are supposed to be.

Let's compare this to the answer choices. Choice A has 3 walls that you cant see from the top view, D has 4. However, look at the orange line in Fig 2 with the question mark. This wall is lined up perfectly with the blue height change that we discussed above. Because of this, its dashed lines won't show up in the top view (for no reason other than the fact that if you draw a solid line on top of a dashed line...you get a solid line :D).

All the walls are spaced apart proportionally to the dashed lines in the top view of the original figure in A and D. Look at B though, it only has 2 of these "walls" that we established you couldn't see from the top. Look at Fig 2. Green = good, red = bad, blue = done, orange = tricky POS.

Fig 2
Fig2.jpg

Great, so we've narrowed it down to A or D. We've done about all we can do with the top view so let's go to the front view. Here we've got 2 solid lines, so from a head-on view, there's 2 height changes. From everything I've said so far about the top view, this should be really easy to figure out, so I'm just gonna include a final figure (green = solid lines and what they correspond with, blue = stuff we already talked about, red = why D is wrong, and orange = dashed lines and what they correspond to)

Notice also how high up the notches go in D, I've highlighted them in red. You should notice that these are way, way higher up than the dashed lines on the front view, so that's another way to eliminate it.

Fig 3
Fig3.jpg

Alright so after all that we can safely conclude that the answer is indeed C.

Just kidding...:rolleyes:.......It's A.

So yeah, that took way longer than I thought it would and I'm thinking it might have been too simple of an example to be helpful... I hope it helps someone though. If someone can find a really hard one they want me to go through post it here.

Oh crap.. exam tomorrow:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 23 users
Anybody correct me if i'm wrong on this but here goes:

FrontView.jpg

The way you can find the answer is mainly from the top view. For the right side you know it's slanted because the slant forms a rectangle whereas a vertical cut would not lead to a rectangle. I drew a 3D back view to let you see what I mean.

Same goes for the top left box. If the answer were D, the top view would look like the picture I put up above D.

As for A vs. B, the only difference is squares vs. circles and from what I can tell, the square's length is bigger than the corresponding lengths in the top and end views, so the protrusions must be circular/cylindrical.

ColoredEndView.jpg

For this one I've highlighted the lengths of each section that you should be able to see in the end view. You have a piece that is short, followed by a middle sized piece, then a long piece. Choosing between C and D, you can see why C doesn't work because the order goes middle, short, long instead.

After eliminating A and C, D vs B you can distinguish based on the dotted lines.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You---the second one makes perfect sense to me :thumbup::thumbup:

The first one I completely understood now that you explained it but I hope I can apply this diagonal line thing on real DAT- DIagonal lines really throw me off---i cant picture them.

But andyways Thank you so much for your help :):thumbup::thumbup:

Anybody correct me if i'm wrong on this but here goes:

FrontView.jpg

The way you can find the answer is mainly from the top view. For the right side you know it's slanted because the slant forms a rectangle whereas a vertical cut would not lead to a rectangle. I drew a 3D back view to let you see what I mean.

Same goes for the top left box. If the answer were D, the top view would look like the picture I put up above D.

As for A vs. B, the only difference is squares vs. circles and from what I can tell, the square's length is bigger than the corresponding lengths in the top and end views, so the protrusions must be circular/cylindrical.

ColoredEndView.jpg

For this one I've highlighted the lengths of each section that you should be able to see in the end view. You have a piece that is short, followed by a middle sized piece, then a long piece. Choosing between C and D, you can see why C doesn't work because the order goes middle, short, long instead.

After eliminating A and C, D vs B you can distinguish based on the dotted lines.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense ;)

Hey Justin!

Thank you sooooo much for your detailed reply. This helps a lot! I used to freak out when I see questions dealing with circles!

I told you what the answer was and why, but I guess I forgot to answer your original question.

Picture11.jpg

I think I know what you were trying to show (and what you're asking), but I'm going to take the "arrows" out of my verbiage because I think I might be able to explain this better without that term.

If you look at Answer "C"...where the sides of the circle are at their widest...those will appear as solid vertical lines in the Top view. Where the sides of the circle come down and touch the base,...those lines will be dashed vertical lines from the Top view because from that angle the circle itself is obstructing your ability to view that junction directly.

Forget about the "roundness" of that circle in "C". They just throw in that extra dimension to mess with your head and get you to waste time contemplating how the roundness figures into the whole picture. Remember, from the Top view, you have no depth perception (aside from implied depth perception due to the dashed vs. solid line rules). So, even though looking at Answer "C" you see that the circle has depth in the horizontal plane (above it's midline plane...as it goes from 9 o'clock up to 12 o'clock and back down to 3 o'clock), when looking at the Top view of the given figure, all you see is a horizontal line. From the top view of the given figure, you have no way to know if that is in fact a straight (i.e.: flat/horizontal) line, or if from some other viewpoint it has height/depth.

So, when doing this particular problem, don't look at the roundness of the circle an let that throw you off. Look at the width of each of the shapes in all of the answers and also where the lines of those shapes are relative to the other lines in that same shape,....then look at the given figure and compare/contrast.

Just to drive the point home....look at Answer "C". Cut that circle in half, horizontally (so that you have the top portion which is from 9 o'clock up to 12 o'clock and back down to 3 o'clock). That is the widest part of that circle, right? Now look at the Top view. That second horizontal line form the bottom of the Top view is the exact same width line of that circle...just from the Top view.

The short-short of this particular problem....if you look at the widest part of the circle, it will tell you how wide the horizontal line (corresponding to the face of the circle is) in the Top view. It will also tell you that (based on the width of the circle), that from the Top view, the vertical lines that are second in from the sides will be solid (because these are the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock sides of the circle, and hence the widest part of the circle), and therefore the "legs" of the circle (that come in under the circle and touch the base that the circle is resting on), will be the 3rd vertical (dashed) lines from the sides in the Top view.

Hope this helps.

2thDMD (Justin)

All of these have been straight. How about curvy objects keyhole or TFE like some uneven top and bottom shape of spinning flying saucer or some kind of uneven half of hour glass? Or even curvy medallion. I got 2 objects similar to those in the last PAT. I think I got hung up on it and wasted minutes on it trying to logic it out.

first of all, thanks for all of your help. secondly i have about a month till my DAT and i was wondering what else to get from: destroyer, top score, crack dat pat, etc.

so far i have only used kaplan books, bio AP cliffs, barrons, and chemistry text book for chem review, i used examkrackers ochem mcat book for ochem, and pat not really much but the kaplan (i know its bad)

so preferably what would be my best one or two things to get to get a good review/practice problems and for good price---note that i cant afford everything. thanks.

i would like things to focus on pat and have real dat type test questions. thanks.

I have a question regarding CUBE COUNTING!!

Is there any need to determine the sides of every single cube, or it's a better time saver to only find out the ones they ask for. are there more than one question for one set of cubes???

Also, I read that some ppl prefer doing the 1,2,3,4,5 versus Top, middle bottom chart. Does that work well? I feel theres no need to write out what layer the cube is at....?? do you guys bother double checking the number of cubes in total and making sure you accounted for every cube...or too much time....

My problem is counting and keeping track of the cube on the computer...this section was the easiest for me when doing it on paper (the canadian version dat!) now that i need to write and take my eyes off the computer i lose my concentration in where i was counting at (my trick is to leave the mouse at where the cube i'm counting...but kinda slow..)

HOW MUCH TIME FOR EACH SECTION OF THE PAT???? THANKS!! :luck::luck::luck:

I found this kind of folding question very hard:confused:. Can anybody share your tricks?

thanks
screenhunter_01_sep._23_00.07756.gif

I have a question regarding CUBE COUNTING!!

Is there any need to determine the sides of every single cube, or it's a better time saver to only find out the ones they ask for. are there more than one question for one set of cubes???
================
3-5 per picutre

Also, I read that some ppl prefer doing the 1,2,3,4,5 versus Top, middle bottom chart. Does that work well? I feel theres no need to write out what layer the cube is at....?? do you guys bother double checking the number of cubes in total and making sure you accounted for every cube...or too much time....
=======
find a method you like best. I usually dont check total cube.

My problem is counting and keeping track of the cube on the computer...this section was the easiest for me when doing it on paper (the canadian version dat!) now that i need to write and take my eyes off the computer i lose my concentration in where i was counting at (my trick is to leave the mouse at where the cube i'm counting...but kinda slow..)
========
write without look at your paper.

HOW MUCH TIME FOR EACH SECTION OF THE PAT???? THANKS!! :luck::luck::luck:
=========
total 60 mins

Members don't see this ad :)
Both B. But I am not here just for the answers. I need to know how do they work out in your mind. thanks

btw. How do you know it is b not e or d for key hole?

Last edited:
Both B. But I am not here just for the answers. I need to know how do they work out in your mind. thanks

btw. How do you know it is b not e or d for key hole?

Hey, okay for the key hole its not D because its not even at the top. I can see why its not E because the shapes have a side difference.... Do you see what i'm saying?

I found this kind of folding question very hard:confused:. Can anybody share your tricks?

thanks

hmmm, no tricks. gotta practice this shape until you know it like the back of your hand. this and the dices are a couple of the "easiest" hard paper folding questions

Last edited:

thanks

Other than elimination,there really are no "tricks". You can throw D out because the shaded regions in the unfolded template NEVER go corner to corner. C looks like it was drawn carelessly (the top square, I can't tell if the shaded region is corner to corner or not), but we'll keep it in the running for now. Next step is to look for a "two block repeat" or two reference squares. The top two squares in the unfolded template correspond to the bottom two squares in cubes B and C.

To eliminate A, look at its bottom two squares. The bottom left square (this is the one that is facing the viewer) in cube A corresponds to the bottom right square in the unfolded template. So the only way to get cube A is to have the top of that same square match up with the square directly above the corresponding one in the template. one quick look will tell you that's not the case.

Moving on to B and C, we have now established two "reference squares." The two reference squares in the folded cubes correspond to the top two square in the unfolded template. Looking at cube B and C, the only difference is the square on the top. Looking now at the unfolded template, one can see that the bottom left square is the one that folds to form that top square in the folded cubes. However, using a little common sense, you can see that the bottom let square in the unfolded template has its shaded portion pointing to the corner; a corner which is not adjacent to any other shaded lines. This is the case in B, and not C. Besides, the top square in C just looks plain silly.

Let me know if that helped.

Other than elimination,there really are no "tricks". You can throw D out because the shaded regions in the unfolded template NEVER go corner to corner. C looks like it was drawn carelessly (the top square, I can't tell if the shaded region is corner to corner or not), but we'll keep it in the running for now. Next step is to look for a "two block repeat" or two reference squares. The top two squares in the unfolded template correspond to the bottom two squares in cubes B and C.

To eliminate A, look at its bottom two squares. The bottom left square (this is the one that is facing the viewer) in cube A corresponds to the bottom right square in the unfolded template. So the only way to get cube A is to have the top of that same square match up with the square directly above the corresponding one in the template. one quick look will tell you that's not the case.

Moving on to B and C, we have now established two "reference squares." The two reference squares in the folded cubes correspond to the top two square in the unfolded template. Looking at cube B and C, the only difference is the square on the top. Looking now at the unfolded template, one can see that the bottom left square is the one that folds to form that top square in the folded cubes. However, using a little common sense, you can see that the bottom let square in the unfolded template has its shaded portion pointing to the corner; a corner which is not adjacent to any other shaded lines. This is the case in B, and not C. Besides, the top square in C just looks plain silly.

Let me know if that helped.

That's really bad reasoning. You can't tell if the corner is actually adjacent to any other shaded line unless you fold it in your head or memorized how each square interacts in this type of shape. If C was drawn better, C and D could easily be correct choices. You can't tell that the bottom left corner is not next to any shaded sides unless you fold it in your head. The only way to discern between the two is to actually fold it out in your head, which is easy with these cube type questions. If you're having trouble, I suggest you get a piece of paper and cut this shape out, and spend 10 minutes memorizing how it folds so you can fold this type of shape in your head in less than 10 seconds.

You should get accustomed to it to the point that you know that the bottom left corner will touch the middle corner of the top two piece.

two more key hole. Please tell me how you figure it out, not just answer. thanks

screenhunter_01_sep._30_01.50233.gif

screenhunter_02_sep._30_01.51458.gif

I recently took the DAT a month ago and after practicing using CRACK DAT and Kaplan my score really really sucked! I'm trying to score at least a 20 next time around and this thread has been very helpful. However T/F/E remains to be the worst section for me. I'm averaging b/w 6-9 questions. :( Could anyone please help me translate these dashed and solid lines?

Maybe there is a simple explanation, but I just can't see it. I greatly appreciate any assistance!

6.gif

I chose B, but the correct answer is A

5.gif

I was between C or D..leaning more towards D. However, both were wrong. The answer is A.

13.gif

I chose D, yet the answer is A.

8.gif

I chose C, but the answer is D.

Wow I just found this website and spent five hours reading through a bunch of threads. This thread is awesome. Thanks everyone for contributing.

Hi it is very sad to say you might got the worst PAT material I every saw. For example. The end view suppose to look from right to left, however, your Qs is from left to right. See pic below. Also there are many wrong lines in your qs.

pic713.jpg

I recently took the DAT a month ago and after practicing using CRACK DAT and Kaplan my score really really sucked! I'm trying to score at least a 20 next time around and this thread has been very helpful. However T/F/E remains to be the worst section for me. I'm averaging b/w 6-9 questions. :( Could anyone please help me translate these dashed and solid lines?

Maybe there is a simple explanation, but I just can't see it. I greatly appreciate any assistance!

6.gif

I chose B, but the correct answer is A

5.gif

I was between C or D..leaning more towards D. However, both were wrong. The answer is A.

13.gif

I chose D, yet the answer is A.

8.gif

I chose C, but the answer is D.

But to answer your QS.

1. C (dash line should be in the middle)
2. A
3. dont know what to say
4. same to 3, wrong 2nd line from right(front view), should be dash line.

Last edited:
hausee,

This seems very helpful, but what are your thoughts on line/events counting. ive been practicing with this, and it works most of the time, at least in eliminating half of the answer choices immediately which makes it easier to just compare whatever is different between the 2 answer choices.
the only concern is that I have never done the real DAT, but on Kaplan and CDP this seems to work like a charm. Do you think i can rely on counting line, at least for eliminating some answer choices on the real DAT?

Last edited:
I never use line counting so I have no comments about it. But I heard people saying it is not safe that rely on it for real DAT. Imaging 3D object is the key for this section. And becareful not fall into traps.

But to answer your QS.

1. C (dash line should be in the middle)
2. A
3. dont know what to say
4. same to 3, wrong 2nd line from right(front view), should be dash line.

Thank you for letting me know about the errors. I know I need plenty of help with TFE. Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations? I have CRACK DAT, yet I'm still averaging around 9/15 though.

THANK YOU sama!!!! i was averaging 18s on CDP until i read your tips last night and just finished my last CDP with a 21!!! thank you thank you!!

Hi!
Thanks for the post!
its was bit confusing but nice technique..
my dat is on nov 7th!
Goddddd this section really sucks.......
but ll practice with your technique..
Thanks again..

two more key hole. Please tell me how you figure it out, not just answer. thanks

screenhunter_01_sep._30_01.50233.gif

screenhunter_02_sep._30_01.51458.gif

I'm between D and E on the first one. I think it could be D because if you look at the shape from the top, you would see a square, with a square hole in the middle of it (the "shelf" in the middle does not extend all the way into the walls, creating a continuous square if looked directly from above). Although E also makes sense..

For the second one, I think the answer is C, because if you look at the structure directly from the front, the front and the back shapes seem to line up, leaving us with the outline of C. A and B show these two not lining up, but it appears that they do. E is incorrect because an end view of the structure should show the middle rectangle as higher than the other two sandwiching it.

Hope this helps.. let me know if you see flaw in my logic :)

Hi sama !
I am from canada too and i have my Dat on Nov 7th.
I just have a question...
Do we need to take carving knife and scale or will they give us all the things needed for carving.
what about blank papers for calculations?
do they give us them or not?

Hi sama !
I am from canada too and i have my Dat on Nov 7th.
I just have a question...
Do we need to take carving knife and scale or will they give us all the things needed for carving.
what about blank papers for calculations?
do they give us them or not?

I'm writing mine too! AH! I believe (don't quote me on this) that they give us everything... I would bring back ups just incase (ie pencils, erasers, paper, carving gear etc.) and worst case scenario you leave it with your bag.

GOOD LUCK!

I'm between D and E on the first one. I think it could be D because if you look at the shape from the top, you would see a square, with a square hole in the middle of it (the "shelf" in the middle does not extend all the way into the walls, creating a continuous square if looked directly from above). Although E also makes sense..

For the second one, I think the answer is C, because if you look at the structure directly from the front, the front and the back shapes seem to line up, leaving us with the outline of C. A and B show these two not lining up, but it appears that they do. E is incorrect because an end view of the structure should show the middle rectangle as higher than the other two sandwiching it.

Hope this helps.. let me know if you see flaw in my logic :)

I think the first one is E. In order for it to be D it would probably have to be more rectangular shaped.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/113zami/tfe.jpg
I have a question, the answer in this image is C but can you tell me how can you tell that its not D, ie how can you tell that that line should be solid and not dotted??
thanks
It cannot be C. It's D, because the second dashed line from the top down on D is the far left edge where the 2 top and bottom slopes meet in the FRONT view. In order for it to be solid in C in END view, it implies there is some width changes where the solid would be which is not the case. Anyone agree?

Last edited:
okay i found my photobucket account and password and signed back in so the sickness level of this thread should be back to wicked.

toodles