-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Any low cGPA and sGPAs with interviews?
Started by bluesmd
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hmm, bump. People love their low MCAT threads but no low GPA threads 🙁😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just so you guys know, going to a "top X university" means jack. Well not quite jack, but next to jack, so stop talking about it before I have an annyeurism (sp).
To me, it only means something if you got a 4.0 there. 😛 I mean, if you look at the school breakdowns of the matriculants to top schools, they do seem to favor the big names, but yeah, if you guys have a low GPA, get it up. Do not, under any circumstances try to use the difficulty of your school or major as an excuse for why it is low when you are writing your essays or at an interview.
3.28 cum /3.47 sci
35 MCAT
2 interviews.
35 MCAT
2 interviews.
cGPA 3.35, scGPA 3.50
6 interviews (4 allo, 2 DO)
- Case (9/23 - probably won't get in or waitlist. There's alot of awesome applicants they interviewed. Too bad, because their curriculum is awesome and they really make it easy to get the most of your time there.)
- Wright State (10/8 - decent shot at getting in, though my second interview was alittle odd. I really like the school though.)
- U of Toledo (10/6 - felt great about the interviews. They made me feel really welcome and wanted.)
- Drexel (10/14)
- OU (accepted 10/6, the school is awesome and I really like their curriculum. Also like the idea of learning OMM)
- PCOM-Philly (withdrew 10/7, due to OU acceptance, plus frankly their Admissions Office has been rude to me several times.)
Waiting to hear from
- Longshots: UPENN, Emory, Ohio State, Temple
- Hopefuls: Cincy, NEOUCOM
2 rejections
- U of Chicago
- Georgetown
Withdrew from PCOM-Atlanta. (10/7)
6 interviews (4 allo, 2 DO)
- Case (9/23 - probably won't get in or waitlist. There's alot of awesome applicants they interviewed. Too bad, because their curriculum is awesome and they really make it easy to get the most of your time there.)
- Wright State (10/8 - decent shot at getting in, though my second interview was alittle odd. I really like the school though.)
- U of Toledo (10/6 - felt great about the interviews. They made me feel really welcome and wanted.)
- Drexel (10/14)
- OU (accepted 10/6, the school is awesome and I really like their curriculum. Also like the idea of learning OMM)
- PCOM-Philly (withdrew 10/7, due to OU acceptance, plus frankly their Admissions Office has been rude to me several times.)
Waiting to hear from
- Longshots: UPENN, Emory, Ohio State, Temple
- Hopefuls: Cincy, NEOUCOM
2 rejections
- U of Chicago
- Georgetown
Withdrew from PCOM-Atlanta. (10/7)
Last edited:
cGPA - 3.61
sGPA - 3.36
MCAT - 30P
UCLA, UC Irvine and Univ. of MN
sGPA - 3.36
MCAT - 30P
UCLA, UC Irvine and Univ. of MN
I was the victim of having an abysmal first quarter freshman year grades. Damn you, Philosophy of Religion and Organic Chemistry!
sGPA: 3.5
cGPA: 3.6
MCAT 35
3 interview so far: NYMC, AECOM, Univ of Pittsburgh <3
sGPA: 3.5
cGPA: 3.6
MCAT 35
3 interview so far: NYMC, AECOM, Univ of Pittsburgh <3
Totally have one so far...
To me, it only means something if you got a 4.0 there. 😛 I mean, if you look at the school breakdowns of the matriculants to top schools, they do seem to favor the big names, but yeah, if you guys have a low GPA, get it up. Do not, under any circumstances try to use the difficulty of your school or major as an excuse for why it is low when you are writing your essays or at an interview.
Very true, going to a big name school does nothing unless you get a high GPA there. I'd rather get a >3.80 at a state than get a <3.49 at an Ivy.
Very true, going to a big name school does nothing unless you get a high GPA there. I'd rather get a >3.80 at a state than get a <3.49 at an Ivy.
Yup. That's exactly what I'm trying to say.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cGPA: 3.12
sGPA: 3.28
MCAT: 34R
Interview invites: University of Alabama, Florida International, Virginia Commonwealth... and UCSF!
Moral of the story: Don't let anyone tell you it's not possible! 🙂
you are absolutely right! i have about the same stats and got an interview at Duke! it's all about the whole application, not just numbers
but i did get rejected from ucsf haha
Yay for low GPAs!!
Congrats to all of you that are having success!
Congrats to all of you that are having success!
q
Last edited:
so i have a couple of interviews >> check mdapps and more importantly I HAVE AN ACCEPTANCE so i will become a doctor REGARDLESS of what happens in the rest of the process. whew! and yayyyyyyy! good luck to everyone, hang in there, there's still time
Very true, going to a big name school does nothing unless you get a high GPA there. I'd rather get a >3.80 at a state than get a <3.49 at an Ivy.
I disagree, although I am most definitely bias.
My GPA is ok, not stellar by SDN standards, but I'm in a hard program at a difficult school. I got 11 interviews, and 2 acceptances so far. I'm pretty sure that if I went somewhere else, I'd have a higher GPA, but I definitely would not have scored as high on the MCAT.
At my interviews, a disproportunate number of people were from well-regarded private universities. Columbia, Cornell, and Princeton were the most well represented at the schools I interviewed at. There were a few people from BU and Duke.
I don't think where you go to school is a deciding factor, but from my experience, the difficulty and reputation of your school is considered.
3.11 cGPA ( upward trend )
3.24 sGPA ( Actually failed engineering physics and some post calculus math course when I was majoring in engineering early on. It's amazing how much an F can really screw you.)
--> 4.0 pbGPA ( every pre-med class except 1st english)
1st MCAT 31L
2nd MCAT 30R
cumulative 32R ( I mention this because the school I interviewed at does look at the cumulative)
I got one interview last year, and one this year. Didn't pre-match, but that's not a big surprise. I suppose if I do get in it will be a freaking miracle.
On a side note, I'm in an MPH program right now. So, hopefully that will help.
3.24 sGPA ( Actually failed engineering physics and some post calculus math course when I was majoring in engineering early on. It's amazing how much an F can really screw you.)
--> 4.0 pbGPA ( every pre-med class except 1st english)
1st MCAT 31L
2nd MCAT 30R
cumulative 32R ( I mention this because the school I interviewed at does look at the cumulative)
I got one interview last year, and one this year. Didn't pre-match, but that's not a big surprise. I suppose if I do get in it will be a freaking miracle.
On a side note, I'm in an MPH program right now. So, hopefully that will help.
Update:
cGPA: 3.35
scGPA: 3.50
MCAT: 34R
So far:
2 post-secondary rejections
1 pre-interview hold
8 interview invites
1 post-interview hold
Still waiting on post-interview decisions from 2 schools
4 acceptances (3 MD, 1 DO)
Complete and no news from two schools.
Not too shabby, for a guy who took 16 years to finish college.
cGPA: 3.35
scGPA: 3.50
MCAT: 34R
So far:
2 post-secondary rejections
1 pre-interview hold
8 interview invites
1 post-interview hold
Still waiting on post-interview decisions from 2 schools
4 acceptances (3 MD, 1 DO)
Complete and no news from two schools.
Not too shabby, for a guy who took 16 years to finish college.
Last edited:
3.30 cum
3.43 sci (only took the pre-reqs)
32N MCAT
Applied to 22 schools.
7 interviews (1 allo, 6 osteo)
2 acceptances. It can be done!
3.43 sci (only took the pre-reqs)
32N MCAT
Applied to 22 schools.
7 interviews (1 allo, 6 osteo)
2 acceptances. It can be done!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
damn this is inspiring
keep it up 😉
Not as many invites as I would like, but I have 2.
cGPA: 3.14
sGPA: 3.4
post bacc GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 37R
Wasn't complete until the beginning of October (thanks to late LOR)
This low GPA thing is killing me too...
2 may not seem a lot, but at least you have some. and remember one is all it takes! i got an acceptance 3 weeks after my first interview! yay. there are some who unfortunately don't have any interviews yet. you just need to rock your 2 and hope for the best
lets get some more reports in here
I have a 3.67 cum and 3.45 sci and have an acceptance to Texas Tech OOS and 2 other MD interviews.... also had a low MCAT- check my mdapps...
Good luck guys- ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE!
Good luck guys- ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE!
sGPA: 2.7
cGPA: 3.05
MCAT: 30
2 interviews! 😀
S.
yay nanon, rock your interviews
3.0 sGPA (upward trend, believe it or not)
3.8 nsGPA
3.2 cGPA
28Q MCAT (two tries)
I have some pretty stellar LOR from two science faculty that I have done TA work for (who also happened to have contributed to my low GPA...but I think that says something when a professor who gave you a C will recommend you for med school) and two physicians. I have quite a few strong EC (worked as a medic for 2 years on a Native American Reservation) and lots of other exposure to medicine
1 DO Acceptance!
1 MD Interview!
1 MD rejection (post secondary, pre-interview)
Complete since October 13 at 4 other MDs and 4 other DOs with no news.
It can be done.
3.8 nsGPA
3.2 cGPA
28Q MCAT (two tries)
I have some pretty stellar LOR from two science faculty that I have done TA work for (who also happened to have contributed to my low GPA...but I think that says something when a professor who gave you a C will recommend you for med school) and two physicians. I have quite a few strong EC (worked as a medic for 2 years on a Native American Reservation) and lots of other exposure to medicine
1 DO Acceptance!
1 MD Interview!
1 MD rejection (post secondary, pre-interview)
Complete since October 13 at 4 other MDs and 4 other DOs with no news.
It can be done.
2.92 cGPA and 4 interviews so far, including UCSF OOS (just had it and it´s the greatest school in the universe! pleasepleaseplease) and Columbia. I think that proves there are no hard and fast rules about gpa, you just need to show how things have changed and be extremely well-rounded otherwise.
p.s.
To paraphrase richard nixon: I am not a troll...
p.s.
To paraphrase richard nixon: I am not a troll...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sgpa 2.97
cgpa 3.24
28S
7 interview invites (4 DO (only went to three) and 3 MD (only went to 2)
MD: Morehouse, FIU, and Meharry
1 MD accept, 2 DO acceptances, 1 DO rejection
cgpa 3.24
28S
7 interview invites (4 DO (only went to three) and 3 MD (only went to 2)
MD: Morehouse, FIU, and Meharry
1 MD accept, 2 DO acceptances, 1 DO rejection
sgpa 2.97
cgpa 3.24
28S
7 interview invites (4 DO (only went to three) and 3 MD (only went to 2)
MD: Morehouse, FIU, and Meharry
1 MD accept, 2 DO acceptances, 1 DO rejection
How????????????????
sgpa 2.97
cgpa 3.24
28S
7 interview invites (4 DO (only went to three) and 3 MD (only went to 2)
MD: Morehouse, FIU, and Meharry
1 MD accept, 2 DO acceptances, 1 DO rejection
congrats!!!
3.5 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
36Q MCAT
Not URM or disadvantaged
4 interviews. 3 recent, so no decision yet, and 1 coming up in January.
One interviewer told me not to worry about my grades so much - so everyone should listen to that advice!
3.3 sGPA
36Q MCAT
Not URM or disadvantaged
4 interviews. 3 recent, so no decision yet, and 1 coming up in January.
One interviewer told me not to worry about my grades so much - so everyone should listen to that advice!
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 816