-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Started by Tots
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Would be happy to answer any questions. Best of luck to those applying this year!
4
487806
Would be happy to answer any questions. Best of luck to those applying this year!
👍 and bump
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
also applying here, one of my reaches. agent, looks like we're applying to a lot of the same schools. want to trade backstories?
Jedi, one of my concerns with Philly is cost of living and living space. can you tell me where most folks stay? how have you found your arrangements? if I'm lucky enough to get in I'll be coming with a wife, four cats, and trying for kids sometime in first year.
thanks!
Jedi, one of my concerns with Philly is cost of living and living space. can you tell me where most folks stay? how have you found your arrangements? if I'm lucky enough to get in I'll be coming with a wife, four cats, and trying for kids sometime in first year.
thanks!
4
487806
also applying here, one of my reaches. agent, looks like we're applying to a lot of the same schools. want to trade backstories?
Unfortunately, I'm not applying this cycle :cry:. But, I'm bumping these school threads because I may plan on applying to them in the future (and to promote greater activity in the thread, since it was nearly three weeks without a post 😱).
Unfortunately, I'm not applying this cycle :cry:. But, I'm bumping these school threads because I may plan on applying to them in the future (and to promote greater activity in the thread, since it was nearly three weeks without a post 😱).
That's because no one can yet apply...June 10th
4
487806
That's because no one can yet apply...June 10th
You got me there. Still neuroticism before submission is always a good thing.

Indicate your intended area of specialization
(MSTP Only) Please use keywords or phrases, separated by commas, to identify your research more specifically. Do not use tabs or add lines by hitting the enter key. There is a limit of 500 characters.
Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters.
Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe; each line allows 100 characters. (Please do not list awards from high school or earlier.)
(Each of the following 1000 chars)
Have you taken or are you planning to take time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation?
Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application?
Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.)
If you are traveling outside of the U.S. during the application year, will you need special scheduling if invited for an interview? If so, please describe and indicate dates that you are in the U.S.
Have you or your family experienced economic hardships?
(MSTP Only) Please use keywords or phrases, separated by commas, to identify your research more specifically. Do not use tabs or add lines by hitting the enter key. There is a limit of 500 characters.
Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters.
Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe; each line allows 100 characters. (Please do not list awards from high school or earlier.)
(Each of the following 1000 chars)
Have you taken or are you planning to take time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation?
Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application?
Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.)
If you are traveling outside of the U.S. during the application year, will you need special scheduling if invited for an interview? If so, please describe and indicate dates that you are in the U.S.
Have you or your family experienced economic hardships?
Last edited:
Secondary received. Can't login though since I didn't assign letters yet 😎
By far the nicest looking secondary application system yet 👍

I am having trouble submitting
Me too, I have been trying submit and where it says "Have you been employed by Upenn..." it keeps switching back to yes and not letting me submit without providing contact information, despite my switching that option to no.
I've tried saving and coming back and that hasn't worked. I'll call them tomorrow if it doesn't sort itself out.
I've tried saving and coming back and that hasn't worked. I'll call them tomorrow if it doesn't sort itself out.
when it asks about time off, do they mean time off from school, or time off of everything including work?
when it asks about time off, do they mean time off from school, or time off of everything including work?
I would assume school. Most other secondaries with that type of question ask specifically about time off from school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Fore the question:
Is my university (a state school) and appropriate organization? Or are they looking for something more like NIH funding or something along those lines?
Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe; each line allows 100 characters. (Please do not list awards from high school or earlier.)
Is my university (a state school) and appropriate organization? Or are they looking for something more like NIH funding or something along those lines?
Fore the question:
Is my university (a state school) and appropriate organization? Or are they looking for something more like NIH funding or something along those lines?
I don't think it falls under the strict guidelines of the prompt since your University is still a separate entity, but if it's a large scale University-wide (not departmental, etc) award, I personally would go ahead and list it since it answers the spirit of the question 😉
only 100 characters to explain what we're doing in a gap year? Yikes!
The text box is small but it is not limited to 100 chars. Try it 😉
The secondary says interviews start in Sept.
The secondary says interviews start in Sept.
Last year, the first II was on 8/29. The first rejection was 1/30 and the first acceptance was on 3/13
I don't think it falls under the strict guidelines of the prompt since your University is still a separate entity, but if it's a large scale University-wide (not departmental, etc) award, I personally would go ahead and list it since it answers the spirit of the question 😉
I don't agree. I'm interpreting this somewhat stricter as some kind of state(or larger) organization.
I don't agree. I'm interpreting this somewhat stricter as some kind of state(or larger) organization.
I doubt the committee will throw your application out because you listed a significant University award for this question. I don't think there's much to lose by listing something, depending on the size/significance of the award, of course.
What do they mean by global activities? Is that like volunteer trips to rebuild Haiti and stuff like that? Or is it just travel you've done?
If you partied on the Embankment in London for New Years, no. If you rescued people from the wreckage left by the earthquake in Haiti a few years ago, yes. Mission trips in Africa? Yes. Field hospitals in the Middle East? Yes. Orphan Health Volunteering in India? Yes.
If you partied on the Embankment in London for New Years, no. If you rescued people from the wreckage left by the earthquake in Haiti a few years ago, yes. Mission trips in Africa? Yes. Field hospitals in the Middle East? Yes. Orphan Health Volunteering in India? Yes.
Thanks, that's what I thought.
What do they mean by global activities? Is that like volunteer trips to rebuild Haiti and stuff like that? Or is it just travel you've done?
If you partied on the Embankment in London for New Years, no. If you rescued people from the wreckage left by the earthquake in Haiti a few years ago, yes. Mission trips in Africa? Yes. Field hospitals in the Middle East? Yes. Orphan Health Volunteering in India? Yes.
Opinions on study abroad? Despite not being a global service activity, it definitely was a large part of my undergraduate experience. I did use the 700 characters to describe my time abroad in my secondary, but focused on the program in which I was enrolled, which was medically relevant. Acceptable space to speak to the general impact it had on me?
Opinions on study abroad? Despite not being a global service activity, it definitely was a large part of my undergraduate experience. I did use the 700 characters to describe my time abroad in my secondary, but focused on the program in which I was enrolled, which was medically relevant. Acceptable space to speak to the general impact it had on me?
I think so. Maybe provide some cultural context too. I was just working on my app for Rush Med (beast of an app considering it was only 2 essays) - now time to work on my essays for UPenn. Go Quakers!
The text box is small but it is not limited to 100 chars. Try it 😉
I'm still having trouble with this.. it's cutting me off at ~250 characters. Is this the same for everyone?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm still having trouble with this.. it's cutting me off at ~250 characters. Is this the same for everyone?
Same for me. My two gap years in 250 characters - outrageous! I'd suggest to spill over into other categories, e.g. if any of your gap year was abroad etc.
Is the challenges essay meant to sub for most schools' diversity essay, or is it just for considerations requiring to be in the Philadelphia area?
I read it as being the latter. On a related note, secondary submitted! Aaand on to the next.
Is the challenges essay meant to sub for most schools' diversity essay, or is it just for considerations requiring to be in the Philadelphia area?
1000 character limit leads me to believe the latter as well
is penn's med school in philadelphia like the undergraduate campus?
is penn's med school in philadelphia like the undergraduate campus?
Yeah. Here's a map: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Perelman+School+of+Medicine+at+the+University+of+Pennsylvania,+Hamilton+Walk,+Philadelphia,+PA&hl=en&sll=39.499761,-111.547028&sspn=7.111023,9.876709&oq=perelman+school&t=h&hq=Perelman+School+of+Medicine+at+the+University+of+Pennsylvania,+Hamilton+Walk,+Philadelphia,+PA&z=15 It's part of the same campus as the undergraduate part of Penn.
is penn's med school in philadelphia like the undergraduate campus?
Yeah, it's right up against the undergrad campus. In fact, the first and second-year lecture halls are literally like 30 feet from the freshman dorms. The main undergrad libraries and buildings are on the other side of Spruce Street (a very, very short walk from the med buildings), but a lot of the labs and buildings on the med campus are also used by undergrads.
Also I guess I was a little slow to the game for this year, but I'm a rising MS2 now at Penn, and I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Feel free to post on here or PM me. It's hard to say how frequently I'll be on, but I'll do my best.
Good luck!
is penn's med school in philadelphia like the undergraduate campus?
Everything at Penn is pretty much a huge block of itself. With the vet, dental, med, law, undergrad, etc. schools all next to each other.
Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe; each line allows 100 characters. (Please do not list awards from high school or earlier.)
This would not include awards from undergraduate universities/alumni associations right?
This would not include awards from undergraduate universities/alumni associations right?
Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe; each line allows 100 characters. (Please do not list awards from high school or earlier.)
This would not include awards from undergraduate universities/alumni associations right?
Not sure on this-- I would call admissions and ask. Everyone in that office is super friendly!
Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe; each line allows 100 characters. (Please do not list awards from high school or earlier.)
This would not include awards from undergraduate universities/alumni associations right?
Not sure on this-- I would call admissions and ask. Everyone in that office is super friendly!
I would guess no, but definitely let us know what you find if you end up calling. 👍
My wife's sister lives in Philadelphia and it would be great for us if we could be close to them. Should this go in the "Why Penn" question or the "Any personal circumstances" question?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My wife's sister lives in Philadelphia and it would be great for us if we could be close to them. Should this go in the "Why Penn" question or the "Any personal circumstances" question?
Personal circumstances; but considering that there are 3 other schools in Philly, I'm not sure how much of a sell it can be for UPenn...
Personal circumstances; but considering that there are 3 other schools in Philly, I'm not sure how much of a sell it can be for UPenn...
Yeah I know, but I figure any personal connection to the Philly area can't hurt.
Yeah I know, but I figure any personal connection to the Philly area can't hurt.
Yes, you're correct. Definitely include it.
Opinions on study abroad? Despite not being a global service activity, it definitely was a large part of my undergraduate experience. I did use the 700 characters to describe my time abroad in my secondary, but focused on the program in which I was enrolled, which was medically relevant. Acceptable space to speak to the general impact it had on me?
I have a question similar to this. I studied abroad, but it wasn't medically relevant and I already covered it as a meaningful activity on my AMCAS. Do I need to include it for the 'global activity' question, or should I even include it to begin with?
I have a question similar to this. I studied abroad, but it wasn't medically relevant and I already covered it as a meaningful activity on my AMCAS. Do I need to include it for the 'global activity' question, or should I even include it to begin with?
I'd include it. It doesn't need to be medical to be relevant.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 234
- Views
- 77K
- Replies
- 691
- Views
- 152K
