OFFICIAL Waitlist Assistance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In an attempt to help all of us who are on waitlists, please insert links and/or include vignettes regarding waitlist movement.

BE SURE TO BE SPECIFIC about which school you are discussing as to help all those who may be waiting for that school.

Good luck guys, we'll get there!!!

Members don't see this ad.

EVMS...the admissions staff has stated their waitlist doesn't start moving until after they've interviewed everyone, which I believe is post March 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't hold your breath for MSU, in recent years I've heard anecdotally that maybe 5 people get in. I'll be giving up my spot, so I hope it helps someone.

I wanted to make sure this info doesn't get lost so I threw it up here on the sticky. (Thanks OldLady)

Schools that typically have a good deal of Waitlist Movement:
Albany
Baylor
Creighton
Drexel (used to be MCP)
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University
Medical College of Virginia/VCU (out-of-state waitlist, April or May)
Medical College of Wisconsin
NYU
Saint Louis University
SUNY-Buffalo
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Syracuse
Tulane (movement begins in late May)
Tufts ("official" waitlist starts in mid-May, movement begins in late May/early June-15-40% of the class comes from the waitlist)
University of Arizona (usually goes through most of or entire waitlist of 35-50 people, about 20-25% of interviewees are accepted in the end (including waitlisted candidates)
University of California-Irvine
University of California-San Diego
University of Cincinatti
UC Denver
University of Rochester
University of So. Cal (USC)
University of South Florida-movement begins in April or May
University of Texas-SW (OUT-OF-STATE)
Wake Forest
Washington University
Wayne State University

Schools with variable waitlist movement (this means that it is very hard to predict from year to year and varies greatly at these particular schools, with a sig. proportion of the class or more coming from the waitlist one year and almost no waitlist another year)
-Case Western
-Columbia
-Duke
-Georgetown
-Jefferson
-JHU
-Mayo
-Medical College of Virginia (IN-STATE LIST)
-Michigan State University-CHM
-Mt. Sinai
-NYMC
-Northwestern (few - 30)
-Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU)
-Rush
-SUNY-Buffalo (?)
-SUNY-Stonybrook
-Temple (almost no movement this past year, lot of movement in 2001
-University of California-Davis
-University of California-LA
-UCSF
-University of Chicago-Pritzker
-University of Connecticut
-University of Florida (however, nearly always takes people "put on hold" during the course of interview season. Waitlist begins in April and begins moving in mid to late May. UF went through entire waitlist this year, not the year before)
-University of Illinois (most spots open up at campuses other than Chicago)
-University of Iowa
-University of Maryland-anywhere from no waitlist movement to half the class coming off the waitlist.
-University of Michigan
-University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
-University of Nebraska (did not fill class this year after going through waitlist, this is reportedly unusual)
-University of North Carolina
-University of Pennsylvania (decent amt of movement this year)
-University of Pittsburgh
-University of South Alabama
-UMDNJ-NJMS
-UMDNJ-RWJ
-University of Vermont

Schools that do NOT typically take many (if any) people from the waitlist
-Dartmouth
-Harvard
-University of Pennsylvania (UCLA 2000 says little movement)
-University of Washington (WWAMI)
-UT system schools (may depend on year), Texas Tech, Texas A&M

Argh, I just got waitlisted at Harvard...this always seems to happen to me...I'm just not quite good enough for the very top... although I know I am already more than lucky to have acceptances elsewhere. Still, that stinks :(

Originally posted by BioMedResearch
I wanted to make sure this info doesn't get lost so I threw it up here on the sticky. (Thanks OldLady)

NYU

According to the link posted about last year's WL movement, only two SDNers got off the WL at NYU. That doesn't sound like a "good deal" of WL movement to me. :(

Originally posted by Gollum
According to the link posted about last year's WL movement, only two SDNers got off the WL at NYU. That doesn't sound like a "good deal" of WL movement to me. :(

Try this link, you'll see there there may have been 20-40 spots last year.

NYU Waitlist info

Originally posted by BioMedResearch
Try this link, you'll see there there may have been 20-40 spots last year.

NYU Waitlist info

Thanks. I don't know about the 40. I only saw a 20 in the heap of that thread. I may have missed it though. I really wish it were on the 40 side so that more people would have a shot. I know this year is particularly competitive so I'm not counting on that number getting any higher. All in all, that thread seemed like the admissions office was taking those poor souls for a ride with all the different stories. I wish they could just give us a straight answer like how many spots there are.

THe one thing that I am sort of frustrated with is the rumor that has been going around on various posts saying that NYU takes in over half its class from the WL. That would be 80 students. This has brought my hopes up for the past month or so and now my bubble has just been burst with that thread. Oh well, so much for NYU.

Is anyone somewhat more intimately familiar with the Dartmouth waitlist? Specifically, what is number of waitlisted and how many are generally pulled?

Also, I notice Dartmouth is listed as having very little movement, is that a subjective determination or is there some statistical backing?

if schools are increasing the number of days they interview, and are interviewing until may, say Drexel, that is a definite negative sign for the waitlist. Any thoughts?

Albany
Baylor
Creighton
Drexel (used to be MCP)
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University
Medical College of Virginia/VCU (out-of-state waitlist, April or May)
Medical College of Wisconsin
NYU
Saint Louis University
SUNY-Buffalo
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Syracuse
Tulane (movement begins in late May)
Tufts ("official" waitlist starts in mid-May, movement begins in late May/early June-15-40% of the class comes from the waitlist)
University of Arizona (usually goes through most of or entire waitlist of 35-50 people, about 20-25% of interviewees are accepted in the end (including waitlisted candidates)
University of California-Irvine
University of California-San Diego
University of Cincinatti
UC Denver
University of Rochester
University of So. Cal (USC)
University of South Florida-movement begins in April or May
University of Texas-SW (OUT-OF-STATE)
Wake Forest
Washington University
Wayne State University

Schools with variable waitlist movement (this means that it is very hard to predict from year to year and varies greatly at these particular schools, with a sig. proportion of the class or more coming from the waitlist one year and almost no waitlist another year)
-Case Western
-Columbia
-Duke
-Georgetown
-Jefferson
-JHU
-Mayo
-Medical College of Virginia (IN-STATE LIST)
-Michigan State University-CHM
-Mt. Sinai
-NYMC
-Northwestern (few - 30)
-Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU)
-Rush
-SUNY-Buffalo (?)
-SUNY-Stonybrook
-Temple (almost no movement this past year, lot of movement in 2001
-University of California-Davis
-University of California-LA
-UCSF
-University of Chicago-Pritzker
-University of Connecticut
-University of Florida (however, nearly always takes people "put on hold" during the course of interview season. Waitlist begins in April and begins moving in mid to late May. UF went through entire waitlist this year, not the year before)
-University of Illinois (most spots open up at campuses other than Chicago)
-University of Iowa
-University of Maryland-anywhere from no waitlist movement to half the class coming off the waitlist.
-University of Michigan
-University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
-University of Nebraska (did not fill class this year after going through waitlist, this is reportedly unusual)
-University of North Carolina
-University of North Dakota
-University of Pennsylvania (decent amt of movement this year)
-University of Pittsburgh
-University of South Alabama
-UMDNJ-NJMS
-UMDNJ-RWJ
-University of Vermont

Schools that do NOT typically take many (if any) people from the waitlist
-Dartmouth
-Harvard
-University of Pennsylvania (UCLA 2000 says little movement)
-University of Washington (WWAMI)
-UT system schools (may depend on year), Texas Tech, Texas A&M

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know anything about waitlist condition at University of Wisconsin? I don't see this school among the list.

I've heard through the grapevine that some waitlists have already started moving.

Please post if you have already been taken from a waitlist.

Reference: 2003 Waitlist Movement Thread
Format: School Name: month/day (method: email/mail/call)

Albany: 4/18, 5/19 (mail), 6/27 (email), 7/23 (email)
Baylor: 5/22 (call), 5/29 (call), 5/30 (call)
Boston University: 5/21 (call), 5/29 (call) 6/6 (call), 6/6 (call)
Cornell:~5/16
Columbia: 3/28, 4/7, 4/15, 5/24, 5/30
Creighton: 6/12 (call), 7/02 (call), 7/09 (call), 8/8 (call)
Dartmouth: 5/16 (call), 7/2 (call)
Drexel: 4/1, 5/24 (mail), 5/27 (mail) X2, 6/20 (mail), 7/7(email)
Duke: 5/26, 5/28 (mail)
ETSU: 5/10 (mail)
EVMS: 3/27, 4/15 (mail), 5/13, 5/20 (mail), 6/9 (certified mail), 6/10 (call)
Emory: 5/30 (call)
Finch/CMS: 6/4 (mail). 6/13 (mail)
Georgetown: 3/3 (mail), 4/21, 4/28, 5/10 (mail), 7/23 (call)
George Washington: 1/10, 5/14 (call), 5/19 (call), 5/22 (call)
Harvard: 6/26 (call)
Jefferson: 3/18 (call), 5/13 (call), 6/19 (call)
Johns Hopkins: 5/30 (call)
Loyola: 5/16 (call), 5/23 (call) x2, 5/30 (call)
Mayo: 4/28, 5/13
Medical College of Ohio: 6/18 (call and phone), 7/17 (call)
Medical University of South Carolina: 7/15 (call)
Meharry: 6/9 (mail), 6/11 (mail)
MCW 6/6 (call)
MCV/VCU: 4/25, 5/12, 5/17 (email), 6/6 (email), 6/27 (email), 7/21 (email)
Michigan State: 5/13, 5/13 (call)
MSSM: 5/26 (mail), 5/28 (mail), 6/14 (mail), 6/14 (email), 7/3 (mail), 7/4(email), 7/4(email), 7/17(email)
NYMC: 5/21 (airborne express), 5/23 (mail), 6/12 (airborne), 6/23 (e-mail and airbourne express), 6/26 (e-mail), 7/8 (call, e-mail, airborne), 7/9 (email)
NYU: 5/22 (email), 6/25
NEOUCOM: 5/12
Ohio State: 5/8 (phone), 5/16 (email), 5/19 (call), 5/23 (call), 6/19 (call)
Rochester: 5/15 (email/call) x2
St. Louis: 5/21, 6/06 (call), 6/13(call), 6/30 (call), 7/2(call), 7/11 (call), 7/17 (call)
SUNY - Buffalo: 5/20 (mail)
SUNY - Downstate: 5/23 (mail), 6/24 (call), 7/8(call) 7/22(call)
SUNY - Stony Brook: 6/09 (call), 7/21 (call)
SUNY - Upstate: 6/02, 6/16 (call) x2
Temple: 5/20 (call), 6/10 (call), 6/11 (call), 6/13 (call),6/24(call), 7/2(call), 7/9(call)
Tufts: 5/13 (email), 5/28 (email) X2, 6/14 (mail), 7/01 (mail), 7/08 (email)
Tulane: 5/6 (call), 5/13 x2 (call), 5/20
UMDNJ-NJMS: 5/19 (call), 6/29 (call), 7/24 (call)
UMDNJ-RWJ: 5/15 (call), 6/12 (call), 7/11 (call)
U. Arizona: 4/21+, 5/20 (call)
UCD: 6/16 (call), 7/7 (call)
UCI: 6/26 (call)
UCLA: 5/17 (UPS), 5/20 (UPS) x2, 6/5 (UPS), 6/23(UPS)
UCSD: 5/13, 5/15, 5/16, 5/22 (email), 5/27 (call), 06/02 (email), 7/20(call)
UCSF: 5/28 (call/email), 5/31 (mail), 7/8 (call)
U. Chicago: 5/16 (call), 5/21 (call), 5/30 (call) X2, 7/17(call!)
U. Cincinnati: 6/2 (call), 6/12 (call), 6/20 (call), 6/25 (call), 7/7 (call)
U. Iowa: 5/22 (mail)
U. Illinois: 4/26, 5/30 (mail)
U. Massachusetts: 5/6, 5/16, 7/23 (email)
U. Michigan: 5/20 (email) 5/30 (call)
U. Miami: 5/9, 5/14
U. Minnesota-Twin Cities: 4/24, 5/02
U. Pennsylvania: 5/14 (call)
U. Pittsburgh: 5/12 (email,unk) X2; 5/19 (call) X2, 5/22 (call) X3, 5/27 (call), 5/29 (call) X4, 6/11, 6/17 (phone), 6/24 (email), 7/17 (call)
U. NC-Chapel HIll: 4/30 (call)
U. South Alabama: 5/23/03 (call/mail)
U. Southern California: 5/30 (call), 7/8 (call), 7/9 X2(call), 7/11 (call), 7/15 (call), 7/17 (call)
U. South Florida: 5/15 (call), 5/23 (call) X2), 5/30 (call), 6/13 (call), 7/11 (call)
U. T-Houston: 3/23, 4/8, 5/21
U. Vermont: 5/27 (mail), 6/14 (mail), 7/21 (call)
U. Virginia: 5/25, 6/24 (phone), 6/30 (phone)
U. Washington: 4/22+, 5/21 (mail)
U. Wisconsin: 7/01 (call)
Vanderbilt: 5/16 (call); 5/22 (call); 7/3 (call)
Wake Forest: 4/28, 5/2, 5/16 (call), 5/23 (call) X2, 6/2 (call), 6/13 (call), 6/21 (call)
Wayne State: 5/21 (unk;I called them) X2, 6/13(call)
Washington U.: 5/14 (call), 5/20 (call), 5/30 (call), 6/4 (call), 7/3 (call)
Wright state: 6/02 (call)
Yale: 5/6 (email), 6/10 (email)

:confused:
I was just wondering if anyone accepted to Wake is considering to withdraw?? Please, in that case, let us poor waitlist people know....
Does anyone have an idea of how many people are on their waitlist? I was just put on there and I am just worried that they are still holding me back because of a low verbal MCAT score (otherwise perfect GPA), do you guys think they are still taking our scores into consideration or what?? (they said to us during interview day that we were assumed to have good enough scores and GPAs since we were invited...but what does that really mean!!) A lot of schools seem to tell interviewees this but it looks like they still do look at your whole application no matter how well you did on your interview!
I'd really appreciate to hear some feedback on this. Thanks guys!

no body uses this thread

I am currently waitlisted at three schools (MCV out-of-state 03/26, USUHS 04/05, and UNC-CH 04/05). What are my chances? What can I do, and what should I do to help my chances, and what is proper form for determining where you are on the list. I really want to get in this year, but I am thinking the dream will have to take a 1 year leave of absence.

As long as you are truly on the waitlist (not the alternate list) at USUHS you have a really good chance. There is a lot of movement there.

How do you have that info? Quoting the nice lady on the phone- "you are on the Army-waitlist." Are you sure about this, I heard the Air Force list moved, but not the others...
Thanks,
Bruce

Is there a difference between the wait list and the alternate list? In my case I'm on the "alternate" list for USC.

Originally posted by charik
Is there a difference between the wait list and the alternate list? In my case I'm on the "alternate" list for USC.

I dunno for USC, but for UCI they use "Alternate" just as a euphamism for "Wait". It's the same thing, as far as I can tell.

As long as it is the same as last year for USUHS there are 2 lists. Waitlist (which if she says you are on the Army waitlist you are) means you were fully accepted and there just isn't any spots for that service available for the time being. There is also an alternate list where you are not fully accepted but if they go through the waitlist they can call you to offer a spot (as far as I know this is not service dependent). This is all spelled out in the catalog they give you on interview day (I was waitlisted for Air Force Last year but due to a knee injury I was medically disqualified). As for other schools their systems can be completely different so at USC it is most likely the same as a waitlist (I was speaking solely about USUHS).

What's the difference between being on the waitlist at University of Cincinnati or having your application on hold?:confused:

I am on the MSUCHM waitlist and am anxiously waiting. This is my favorite school and would go there in a heartbeat.

Anyone still around that got accepted off last years? I would love to hear from you.

I think I will send another letter updating activities before May hits.

I'm crossing my fingers....and everything else I have.

I've actually looked into this "hold vs. waitlist" issue, and I think it holds true for most schools.

Waitlist means that you are considered acceptable in light of the applicant pool. You will not be rejected, and if a spot opens up you will get an acceptance (ok...I already knew that!).

Hold status is similar, but with an important difference: they still have the option of rejecting you. They want to get a better idea of the quality of the applicant pool before they make a final decision (accept, waitlist, reject). Hope that helps.

I guess I can see the slight difference, but the outcomes can be the same for both: admit and reject.

Originally posted by coldchemist
I've actually looked into this "hold vs. waitlist" issue, and I think it holds true for most schools.

Waitlist means that you are considered acceptable in light of the applicant pool. You will not be rejected, and if a spot opens up you will get an acceptance (ok...I already knew that!).

Hold status is similar, but with an important difference: they still have the option of rejecting you. They want to get a better idea of the quality of the applicant pool before they make a final decision (accept, waitlist, reject). Hope that helps.

Yeah, it's semantics...but TECHNICALLY waitlisters never get rejected. Obviously, lot's of people aren't offered an acceptance either. Hence the term "waitlist limbo."

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this question yet, but I'm on a few wait lists and I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding letters of intent. Is there a format that is pretty standard? Or key points that should be included? Thanks!

I only found one example of letters to the Dean regarding waitlists. Is this an acceptable time to write in and say good things about yourself? Or, should we leave it be and hope our AMCAS coupled with the waitlist is enough?

As far as the waitlist at USUHS goes, I heard a few things about it. I was told by a student that they actually went all of the way down to the alternate last year to fill the class, but that they could notify you a week or two before you had to matriculate. They also group the lists into the separate services, thus if you want the Air Force, which sems to be the most popular, you need someone to move off that services list. If you have limited yourself to one service you are competing for 1 of approximately 50 spots.
The admissions office told me that historically most of their movement occurs between the 1-15th of May, so we will have to sit tight for awhile. I think many people look at the prospect of 11 years of service and get scared, even if it is free. That's why you see so much movement at USUHS. Good luck to you all.

what about UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School? how is their waitlist movement and when do they start taking people off the waitlist?

I just got moved off the waitlist at Wake Forest. My first choice. I will be releasing the other acceptances asap. Good luck. I am ecstatic.

Canrenone said:
I just got moved off the waitlist at Wake Forest. My first choice. I will be releasing the other acceptances asap. Good luck. I am ecstatic.

CONGRATS Canrenone!! that is great! :clap: :clap: :clap:
must be a huge relief for you and cause for much celebration.

(now to get someone at my top school to drop out and open up a spot ;) )

littledoc2be said:
what about UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School? how is their waitlist movement and when do they start taking people off the waitlist?
so littledoc2be, i was waitlisted at RWJ too and I was utterly crushed when I got the letter. i was told to continue to hound them about my interest and i guess that is what you should do too. i received an email from ms. kramer in the admissions office and according to her i'm in the top third. which is comforting and at the same not so...the people taken off the waitlist each year varies. that hopefully answers the first part of your question (though not really well.) also, they said that they start informing people from the waitlist if they are accepted at the end of may and this process can be drawn on til the day before school starts. i don't know if they fill their class and then wait for withdrawals or not. due to my financial situation and the schools i got into, i have opted for state. i went to visit NJMC today and i liked it. i wouldn't be upset if i was a student there. i guess i just expected something different, but what i envisioned three months ago doesn't pan out, it's not as if i'm aspiration to become a doctor has also. have you gotten into any other school? good luck! maybe one day we'll actually be in the same class, who knows!

robert wood johnson is also my #1 top choice for many reasons. I am still waitingn to hear from a few schools. The only other acceptances that I hold right now are at osteopathic schoosl, so i guess I know my dreams of becoming a docotor is not totally crushed. My interview at NJMS went horrible and I guess I knew right when I walked out of the office that I would not be accepted. I don't know what it was, I just got off on the wrong foot with my interviewer. When I received the waitlist letter I called the admissions office and I was told that I was somewhere in the top half of the "right" list. WHen I asked for more information they told me that all they could tell me was if I was on the right list and if I was in the top half or bottom half, and I wasn't even supposed to know that. My friends and professors and mentors tell me not to bother them too much becuase I don't want to make a pest out of myself. AT this point they already know that RWJ is m y first choice and I guess it is only a matter of waiting. I already sent in a letter of intent as soon I received theletter placing me on the alternate list. Do you think I should be calling them everyday? or wait until the end of may?or is there anything else I should be doing? From raw numbers it looks like they do take a ot off the waiting list. One report showed that out of 343 accepted, only 151 enrolled. So they are accpeting more than double their class.

hopefully we will be in class together next year.

Just curious, what percentage of the class size is a waitlist?

Hey guys...this is a rather basic question, but it's somewhat difficult to phrase well...so here goes.

Say that after May 15th I'm holding an acceptance at School A and am still on the waitlist for School B. If I get accepted off the waitlist at School B and I obligated to go there and withdraw from School A, or can I still opt for School A and therefore turn down the spot at SchoolB? I'm not 100% that I would go to School B over School A if I were taken off the waitlist, but I don't want to miss out on that chance in case I change my mind later. Does this make sense?

Thanks!!

You can still decide to keep School A - no worries :)

Even though it seems as though this thread isn't getting much hype, it still is listed as an official thread, so I thought I'd start the 2004 list (unless there is one that I don't know about already circulating...). I'm keeping the format from last year.

Reference: 2004 Waitlist Movement Thread
Format: School Name: month/day (method: email/mail/call)

VCU/MCV (out-of-state): 4/23 (email)

spiffy, you got into vcu off the waitlist?
if so cograts.

Musta been the jedi mind trick. Congrats!

Congrats! That's the type of stuff we all want to hear!!!!!! :clap:

Mr Reddly said:
Musta been the jedi mind trick. Congrats!

hehehe.. yeeeup... Those jedi skills come in handy! =)