You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2025-2026 *~*~*~*~*
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Usually you shouldn't need to email the admissions team, but i suppose you can check in. AMP should flag your file for each update. It's a question of how busy the team is to review your update. Your updates aren't going to be deleted.If I uploaded an update letter to AMP, should I also email the admissions office that I did so? I uploaded a few but never recieved confirmation for them
I want to add some past numbers for total number of medical school applicants for context. Entry Year (EY) is the year they started med school: EY 2020 would be people who applied during the 2019-2020 application cycle.Texas Health Education Service (THES) numbers for EY 2026 (this TMDSAS application cycle)
Primary application deadline was 10/1/2025, and here are the numbers of primary applications submitted:
Medical school: 7220 applicants (up from 6827 EY 2025)
Dental School: 1555 applicants (up from 1265 EY 2025)
Veterinary school: 1526 applicants (up from 1342 EY 2025)
The cycle is still in progress so I have no numbers of IS/OOS, how many interviews, etc.
EY 2020 6093
EY 2021 7362 (Fauci effect)
EY 2022 6833
EY 2023 6484
EY 2024 6472
EY 2025 6851
EY 2026 7220
There were 2 new TMDSAS schools added in this time span, UH Fertitta in 2020 and UT Tyler in 2022.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
axpathetic
Full Member
It's time for me to send my transcripts to TMDSAS. I have a question; if I am taking courses this Spring semester (not required prereqs; just for enrichment) is it okay to upload those in May or will TMDSAS not need them? The website says this:
"TMDSAS validates all coursework completed by the application deadline; this means transcripts are only required for coursework completed by the deadline. However, you need to update your planned coursework grades on the application as soon as they are available."
"TMDSAS validates all coursework completed by the application deadline; this means transcripts are only required for coursework completed by the deadline. However, you need to update your planned coursework grades on the application as soon as they are available."
axpathetic
Full Member
In addition, I'n completing one required course for BCM this Fall, so I imagine TMDSAS does need it.
You can send your transcript to TMDSAS now. It will say "In progress" for your Spring 2026 classes.It's time for me to send my transcripts to TMDSAS. I have a question; if I am taking courses this Spring semester (not required prereqs; just for enrichment) is it okay to upload those in May or will TMDSAS not need them? The website says this:
"TMDSAS validates all coursework completed by the application deadline; this means transcripts are only required for coursework completed by the deadline. However, you need to update your planned coursework grades on the application as soon as they are available."
If TMDSAS allows you to fill in Fall grades on the portal you can do that for your BCM class.
After Match Day the school you match to will want its own transcript sent directly, and I think you can wait until the end of Spring term to do that.
maybe wait until Fall 2025 grades are on it 😉 will save you one step of in-putting those on the portalYou can send your transcript to TMDSAS now. It will say "In progress" for your Spring 2026 classes.
If TMDSAS allows you to fill in Fall grades on the portal you can do that for your BCM class.
After Match Day the school you match to will want its own transcript sent directly, and I think you can wait until the end of Spring term to do that.
D
deleted1229897
Hi! I know that you're not supposed to decline A's as that will essentially blacklist you from TMDSAS in the future, but if I interviewed at a school and withdrew my application before any decisions were made because I do not see myself going to the school at all, will that blacklist me at any other schools for reapplying next yr if it comes to that? I haven't made up my mind yet and I'm not looking for advice on that front I guess, but I'm 99.9% sure that I would rather retake the mcat which I know I could do better on and take the uncertainty of reapplying next year (obviously not to this school), but would a post ii withdrawal before match or prematch hurt reapplicant chances for other schools like a post match withdrawal would?
You're anonymous here so come out and ask your question instead of tiptoeing through the garden.Hi! I know that you're not supposed to decline A's as that will essentially blacklist you from TMDSAS in the future, but if I interviewed at a school and withdrew my application before any decisions were made because I do not see myself going to the school at all, will that blacklist me at any other schools for reapplying next yr if it comes to that? I haven't made up my mind yet and I'm not looking for advice on that front I guess, but I'm 99.9% sure that I would rather retake the mcat which I know I could do better on and take the uncertainty of reapplying next year (obviously not to this school), but would a post ii withdrawal before match or prematch hurt reapplicant chances for other schools like a post match withdrawal would?
How many TMDSAS interviews have you had? Do you have any TMDSAS prematches at this point?
Are you "worried" that you will match to a DO school instead of an MD school and would rather not?
If the last thing is what you are asking, yes, you can withdraw from the DO school now before Match ranking so you won't possibly match there.
If you do that, don't apply to that particular school again. It will not "blacklist" you at the other TMDSAS schools.
D
deleted1229897
Thank you! Yes, it is a DO school and the combination of a bad interview experience, location, and DO immediately dropped it to last in my prelim rankings. I've had 3 other TX interviews and no prematches, so hopefully will be ok but on the off chance, I'm debating whether I would rather just try again next yr than go to this school. thanks!You're anonymous here so come out and ask your question instead of tiptoeing through the garden.
How many TMDSAS interviews have you had? Do you have any TMDSAS prematches at this point?
Are you "worried" that you will match to a DO school instead of an MD school and would rather not?
If the last thing is what you are asking, yes, you can withdraw from the DO school now before Match ranking so you won't possibly match there.
If you do that, don't apply to that particular school again. It will not "blacklist" you at the other TMDSAS schools.
The above message says you already withdrew from this school and it sounds like you still have 3 outstanding?Thank you! Yes, it is a DO school and the combination of a bad interview experience, location, and DO immediately dropped it to last in my prelim rankings. I've had 3 other TX interviews and no prematches, so hopefully will be ok but on the off chance, I'm debating whether I would rather just try again next yr than go to this school. thanks!
If you withdrew after the interview but you still have 3 pending, you want to withdraw from everywhere without waiting for an outcome?
It sounds like they just want to withdraw from the DO school.The above message says you already withdrew from this school and it sounds like you still have 3 outstanding?
If you withdrew after the interview but you still have 3 pending, you want to withdraw from everywhere without waiting for an outcome?
They are probably OK with 3 MD interviews to match to one of them, but nothing is guaranteed. Re-applying is no joke because you not only have to go to the trouble again and rewrite essays, but also show that you improved something since the prior cycle.
@quintanap2 if you got 4 interviews your MCAT, whatever it is, did not hold you back
Missed the IF clause!It sounds like they just want to withdraw from the DO school.
They are probably OK with 3 MD interviews to match to one of them, but nothing is guaranteed. Re-applying is no joke because you not only have to go to the trouble again and rewrite essays, but also show that you improved something since the prior cycle.
@quintanap2 if you got 4 interviews your MCAT, whatever it is, did not hold you back
Agree with your advice. Very hard to assume one would improve to expect a lot more than 4 IIs without finishing the cycle to see what happens.
D
deleted1229897
Haha yeah I'm going to finish the cycle for sure! And I think the combo of my mcat/gpa may have held me slightly down from my dream school who unfortunately love high stat. but it's cool, definitely going to finish cycle and wold be happy to match the md schools!Missed the IF clause!
Agree with your advice. Very hard to assume one would improve to expect a lot more than 4 IIs without finishing the cycle to see what happens.
My currently-registered Spring 2026 courses are different from what I put on TMDSAS back in May 2025 (which were more challenging sciences). The new courses I put in do not impact my PCR or school-specific prereqs anywhere. Will sending an update to TMDSAS about my changed Spring 2026 coursework impact my chances for acceptances as schools I've interviewed with/interview invitations?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As long as you have covered the prereqs for your schools you should be fine. They know future registration plans may change.My currently-registered Spring 2026 courses are different from what I put on TMDSAS back in May 2025 (which were more challenging sciences). The new courses I put in do not impact my PCR or school-specific prereqs anywhere. Will sending an update to TMDSAS about my changed Spring 2026 coursework impact my chances for acceptances as schools I've interviewed with/interview invitations?
unmaskedvillian
Full Member
Hey yall!! I've noticed some schools have offered merit scholarships with their prematches. Does anyone know which schools give scholarships with the prematchs vs schools that wait until after match day? Thank you!
stinkbot5000
Full Member
Is is alright to send a combination letter of intent and update in the same document? I do not want to inundate admissions committees with too much reading.
Sure, keep it clear and conciseIs is alright to send a combination letter of intent and update in the same document? I do not want to inundate admissions committees with too much reading.
A new medical training school is coming to South Texas — Here’s what it means for the region
TAMU-K will build a massive facility designed to help train doctors, nurses and PAs.
well, sort of... "The facility isn’t a standalone medical school. The academic control stays with Texas A&M’s College Station campus. But, Kingsville would host a full medical education unit. Students would begin their training in Kingsville, continue residency in South Texas and directly transition into the communities that have struggled for decades to recruit providers."![]()
A new medical training school is coming to South Texas — Here’s what it means for the region
TAMU-K will build a massive facility designed to help train doctors, nurses and PAs.www.kiiitv.com
It would be another training location for Texas A&M students & residents
dekudoctor
LizzyM 70.3 | ORM | Non-Traditional (1 Gap Year)
Ok so I recently got an II (my only II) to my dream school. I honestly had kind of assumed I wouldn’t get one from them because I had heard silence for so long, and their average MCAT is nearly 5 points above mine. I have heard the expression that once you get an II, the school sees you as someone who is capable of the rigor of med school. If your stats were not at the level they would be ok accepting, they would not have offered an II. However, how much is MCAT weighted after II’s? I feel like it would be absolutely brutal for me to get my hopes up with getting an II, only to get rejected afterwards due to stats. I’m going to go into the interview confident, but this is just something that has been in the back of my head, and I can’t help but feel a bit like an imposter when comparing my stats to that of the school’s. Thanks!
Your other qualities and experiences attracted their interest so do your best to go to the interview with interest and optimismOk so I recently got an II (my only II) to my dream school. I honestly had kind of assumed I wouldn’t get one from them because I had heard silence for so long, and their average MCAT is nearly 5 points above mine. I have heard the expression that once you get an II, the school sees you as someone who is capable of the rigor of med school. If your stats were not at the level they would be ok accepting, they would not have offered an II. However, how much is MCAT weighted after II’s? I feel like it would be absolutely brutal for me to get my hopes up with getting an II, only to get rejected afterwards due to stats. I’m going to go into the interview confident, but this is just something that has been in the back of my head, and I can’t help but feel a bit like an imposter when comparing my stats to that of the school’s. Thanks!
Yeah unfortunately stats do matter even post-interview, a lot of schools give you a points total based on your MCAT and GPA (and several other factors). They accept people based on that points total.Ok so I recently got an II (my only II) to my dream school. I honestly had kind of assumed I wouldn’t get one from them because I had heard silence for so long, and their average MCAT is nearly 5 points above mine. I have heard the expression that once you get an II, the school sees you as someone who is capable of the rigor of med school. If your stats were not at the level they would be ok accepting, they would not have offered an II. However, how much is MCAT weighted after II’s? I feel like it would be absolutely brutal for me to get my hopes up with getting an II, only to get rejected afterwards due to stats. I’m going to go into the interview confident, but this is just something that has been in the back of my head, and I can’t help but feel a bit like an imposter when comparing my stats to that of the school’s. Thanks!
It's very frustrating as someone with a low GPA (or MCAT in your case) because even if you do everything right and have a great interview, that one score will always put you at a disadvantage. Good luck my friend
Focus on your Interview, not your imposter syndrome.
premedguy99
Full Member
Hey! So I realized the courses I set for the Fall 2025 semester on my primary application are different from what I ended up taking. My PCR is still fully fine, but is updating it now going to be an issue or look bad since I have known since the start of the semester my classes changed? Or is it no big deal and im just overthinking? Thanks!
You can update it if you want to, but it's not required. You would probably have to message TMDSAS within your portal to ask them to "unlock" the settings, to allow you to correct & update your courses.Hey! So I realized the courses I set for the Fall 2025 semester on my primary application are different from what I ended up taking. My PCR is still fully fine, but is updating it now going to be an issue or look bad since I have known since the start of the semester my classes changed? Or is it no big deal and im just overthinking? Thanks!
If you get accepted this year, you will send TMDSAS and your med school your official final transcript which will show the courses you eventually took.
premedguy99
Full Member
Ok so its not a red flag or anything. I was worried they might think I didn't update it on purpose or something. Thanks!You can update it if you want to, but it's not required. You would probably have to message TMDSAS within your portal to ask them to "unlock" the settings, to allow you to correct & update your courses.
If you get accepted this year, you will send TMDSAS and your med school your official final transcript which will show the courses you eventually took.
unmaskedvillian
Full Member
Do schools typically respond to update letters?
You might get an acknowledgment that they received it and added it to your file. I think most commonly they will see it only if they open your file again for a selection meeting.Do schools typically respond to update letters?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Worriedpremed12345
Full Member
Does anyone have data on how many Texas MD interviews, not counting DO, are needed to be in the high probability range of matching on match day for TMDSAS?
You can match with just one interview. Sadly there is no way to predict exactly what your individual odds of matching are.Does anyone have data on how many Texas MD interviews, not counting DO, are needed to be in the high probability range of matching on match day for TMDSAS?
ALGF
New Member
Hi everyone, I wanted to know how serious this is... I recently uploaded my transcript to TMDSAS after receiving a pre-match; however, I just received a notification that TMDSAS has made changes to the coursework section of my application. My sGPA and cGPA remain the exact same, but I realize now that I did not enter my transfer credits for Chinese language. I did not enter it in my TMDSAS because it didn't seem relevant at the time. I wanted to know how this will impact my application?
You should be ok, having the official transcript let TMDSAS see that you had omitted those courses and corrected it for youHi everyone, I wanted to know how serious this is... I recently uploaded my transcript to TMDSAS after receiving a pre-match; however, I just received a notification that TMDSAS has made changes to the coursework section of my application. My sGPA and cGPA remain the exact same, but I realize now that I did not enter my transfer credits for Chinese language. I did not enter it in my TMDSAS because it didn't seem relevant at the time. I wanted to know how this will impact my application?
D
deleted1227673
If I have a prematch to a school that is not my #1 choice but is instead my 4th choice, could sending a letter of intent to my #1 choice impact decisions at schools 2 and 3? I would rather go to 2 or 3 than 4, but 100% without a doubt choose my #1 over them all. If my odds are hurt at schools 2 and 3, is it still worth it? And would a letter of intent swing any odds now that it is December? I know a letter of intent is kind of "meaningless," but #1 is my dream school, and I want to do whatever I can to have peace of mind come match day. At the same time, I am worried the letter of intent to #1 may drop me from being ranked highly by schools 2 and 3, since admissions committees communicate with each other, I am hesitant.
since admissions committees communicate with each other, I am hesitant.
Where are you hearing that they communicate with each other about LOIs? Most of them don't even want to get LOIs from students interested in their schools. Not sure how many would care about what applicants at other schools do or don't.
Last edited:
D
deleted1227673
I’ve heard from 2 deans at Texas schools that they all communicate with each other regularly throughout the application cycle. There’s not many ways an applicant can express bad faith besides submitting an LOI to two schools, and I’m going to assume that is discussed alongside the fact that a school has received an LOI from an applicant. If what I’ve heard is 100% wrong and you have any other info feel free to correct meWhere are you hearing that they communicate with each other about LOIs? Most of them don't even want to get LOIs from students interested in their schools. Not sure how many would care about what applicants at other students do or don't.
One school will not see another school’s letter that you sent. Really though just rank them in your desired orderIf I have a prematch to a school that is not my #1 choice but is instead my 4th choice, could sending a letter of intent to my #1 choice impact decisions at schools 2 and 3? I would rather go to 2 or 3 than 4, but 100% without a doubt choose my #1 over them all. If my odds are hurt at schools 2 and 3, is it still worth it? And would a letter of intent swing any odds now that it is December? I know a letter of intent is kind of "meaningless," but #1 is my dream school, and I want to do whatever I can to have peace of mind come match day. At the same time, I am worried the letter of intent to #1 may drop me from being ranked highly by schools 2 and 3, since admissions committees communicate with each other, I am hesitant.
Hi: Yes, admissions deans do talk to each other throughout the cycle. There are meetings like the TAAHP meeting of health advisors where they meet in person and regular zoom calls related to programs like the JAMP program. I also heard from multiple deans that sometimes deans have lunch together if one is in the other's town because they are quite often former colleagues and personal friends. However, they DO NOT discuss specific applicants until the waitlist period where if they are accepting an applicant off the waitlist that was matched at another school they notify the school that they were matched at about it. This is done as a courtesy so the school can start to look quickly for a replacement from their match list. Non-dean members of admissions committees of course are not generally (if ever) privy to LOIs and are forbidden to discuss applicants outside the committee meetings/process.I’ve heard from 2 deans at Texas schools that they all communicate with each other regularly throughout the application cycle. There’s not many ways an applicant can express bad faith besides submitting an LOI to two schools, and I’m going to assume that is discussed alongside the fact that a school has received an LOI from an applicant. If what I’ve heard is 100% wrong and you have any other info feel free to correct me
Now then, the real reason not to submit a LOI that says "I am going to match you #1" to two schools at the same time isn't that they'll find out about it which is very unlikely, but that it's unethical to do that and you're about to enter a profession requiring a high level of ethical behavior.
Always rank schools in your order of interest in the TMDSAS match.
D
deleted1227673
Thank you for the insight, I appreciate the details. With match approaching I’m slowly going crazyHi: Yes, admissions deans do talk to each other throughout the cycle. There are meetings like the TAAHP meeting of health advisors where they meet in person and regular zoom calls related to programs like the JAMP program. I also heard from multiple deans that sometimes deans have lunch together if one is in the other's town because they are quite often former colleagues and personal friends. However, they DO NOT discuss specific applicants until the waitlist period where if they are accepting an applicant off the waitlist that was matched at another school they notify the school that they were matched at about it. This is done as a courtesy so the school can start to look quickly for a replacement from their match list. Non-dean members of admissions committees of course are not generally (if ever) privy to LOIs and are forbidden to discuss applicants outside the committee meetings/process.
Now then, the real reason not to submit a LOI that says "I am going to match you #1" to two schools at the same time isn't that they'll find out about it which is very unlikely, but that it's unethical to do that and you're about to enter a profession requiring a high level of ethical behavior.
Always rank schools in your order of interest in the TMDSAS match.
chillstill
Full Member
When to start FASFA? If I complete by December/January I should be good? Kinda confused with this whole process.
While you wait is a good time to fill out your FAFSAWhen to start FASFA? If I complete by December/January I should be good? Kinda confused with this whole process.
Then you will have it ready for whichever school you go to
NapQueen16
Full Member
Does anyone know if TX schools will send any info about financial aid/scholarships to prematched students before match day? I got my FAFSA done back in October
chillstill
Full Member
Thanks! I’ll get it done this monthWhile you wait is a good time to fill out your FAFSA
Then you will have it ready for whichever school you go to
unmaskedvillian
Full Member
I would like to know this tooDoes anyone know if TX schools will send any info about financial aid/scholarships to prematched students before match day? I got my FAFSA done back in October
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One thing to know is that the number of students awarded scholarships for medical school is unfortunately very small compared to college.Does anyone know if TX schools will send any info about financial aid/scholarships to prematched students before match day? I got my FAFSA done back in October
There will be some scholarship offers made before Match Day to encourage favorite students to rank that school #1 for Match. (or to a few OOS students).
Cruise through the 2023-2024 and 2024-2025 threads of the schools you are accepted to, for a general idea of when they send offers out.
Hi! I know that you're not supposed to decline A's as that will essentially blacklist you from TMDSAS in the future, but if I interviewed at a school and withdrew my application before any decisions were made because I do not see myself going to the school at all, will that blacklist me at any other schools for reapplying next yr if it comes to that? I haven't made up my mind yet and I'm not looking for advice on that front I guess, but I'm 99.9% sure that I would rather retake the mcat which I know I could do better on and take the uncertainty of reapplying next year (obviously not to this school), but would a post ii withdrawal before match or prematch hurt reapplicant chances for other schools like a post match withdrawal would?
Edit: My bad, OP, I misread and realized you said before a decision was made, so that's my bad. Then yes, you should be fine! Sorry about that.
I know a couple of people who did this and had to re-apply. They did not get into TX schools. YMMV
Edit: My bad, OP, I misread and realized you said before a decision was made, so that's my bad. Then yes, you should be fine! Sorry about that.
I know a couple of people who did this and had to re-apply. They did not get into TX schools. YMMV
Not sure if this is still the case or ever has been true, but a TMDSAS person told us way back when that if you don't apply to the TMDSAS DO schools and only apply to the MD schools, schools see that and it doesn't look good. I assume declining an A at one holds similarly if true. They meant primary applications though, not secondary.
Last edited:
This seems to be some outdated information or hearsay- are you an applicant or a student?I know a couple of people who did this and had to re-apply. They did not get into TX schools. YMMV
Not sure if this is still the case or ever has been true, but a TMDSAS person told us way back when that if you don't apply to the TMDSAS DO schools and only apply to the MD schools, schools see that and it doesn't look good. I assume declining an A at one holds similarly if true. They meant primary applications though, not secondary.
If it's a non-TMDSAS school, then no. I don't think they'd care, but I don't think it's wise to decline at this stage w/o an acceptance.
If someone did drop a school before Match Day because they truly did not want to attend, it would be best to leave that school off if they needed to reapply.
This was back around 2020 when I was applying. I was in an information session lead by TMDSAS. I am just relaying what was told to me personally. It's not a story I heard from someone else.This seems to be some outdated information or hearsay- are you an applicant or a student?
If someone did drop a school before Match Day because they truly did not want to attend, it would be best to leave that school off if they needed to reapply.
But I realized I misread OP's post. Now, I have heard stories of people getting acceptances at a TMDSAS school but because they didn't like the school, they declined it and re-applied, but schools saw that they'd declined the acceptance so it affected them.
At the time, TMDSAS's reasoning was schools will see which schools you submit a primary to, but not secondaries. Since it's a flat fee, just apply to all and do secondaries for the ones you are interested in.
But I also add I don't know how TMDSAS had changed since I applied.
As with all things there is no uniform perspective on this. It is true that admissions committee members can see where you've applied within TMDSAS but not other schools. Not sure why they would care much though. Mostly this can reflect geographic preference and perceived fit for the school. Certainly some high stats folks (and out of staters) only apply to a handful of the schools but so what? Some apply to all the MD, but not the DO schools. Again, who cares? We're considering you for our school.This was back around 2020 when I was applying. I was in an information session lead by TMDSAS. I am just relaying what was told to me personally. It's not a story I heard from someone else.
But I realized I misread OP's post. Now, I have heard stories of people getting acceptances at a TMDSAS school but because they didn't like the school, they declined it and re-applied, but schools saw that they'd declined the acceptance so it affected them.
At the time, TMDSAS's reasoning was schools will see which schools you submit a primary to, but not secondaries. Since it's a flat fee, just apply to all and do secondaries for the ones you are interested in.
But I also add I don't know how TMDSAS had changed since I applied.
Bottom line is that if you interview at a school and would rather be a reapplicant than go there, just politely withdraw by email to the school after (or before) the interview, preferably before they prematch you. If you have another acceptance, same thing, less risk. As far as being a reapplicant rather than take an offered acceptance, this can be seen negatively, and needs some explanation in your reapplication. That explanation may be seen differently depending on what it is. Getting a PhD? Sure, that's probably a good reason. Don't like small town schools? That may not be appreciated but, again, it's variable how it'll be seen.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 98
- Views
- 26K