Need to find a DO to shadow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jp2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm planning to apply to osteopathic but need to find a DO to shadow so I can ask for a LOR. I found some around my area. Any advice on how to appraoch them and tell them that I need LOR.
Anyone willing to share their experiences?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

plenty of threads on this in the past but go in shadow them...maybe more than once and ask them.

I asked the DO I shadowed for a month for one.....I had another I shadowed for a day offer one for me....he knew the game.

Go in and learn but don't be afraid to ask if need be and you have gotten to know them a little.

Heck Amy B got one and she really didn't know her DO at all

In regards to finding a DO to shadow, the first step would to look at the state chapter's directory. From there, formulate a list and start calling. Most DOs I have encountered would love to nurture and educate a future DO and I would expect the same from other DOs as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt tell mention the LOR right off the bat. Ask them about shadowing first, shadow them a few times and then let a few days pass before mentioning the LOR. Make sure to send a thank-you note right after the shadowing them.
IMHO, you shouldnt make it seem like your shadowing them just for the LOR, even if that is the case. At least this is what Im planning on doing- I've shadowed a few DOs once each and will again once more before asking them.
Also if you need help finding them, ask the doctors that your shadowing if they know others (they usually do). I found several DOs working in the same building that knew each other.

I shadowed several DOs and never had to ask for a letter, they offered. The hard part is getting the DO to let you shadow them. You might want to try hospitals as many might have an internship program. Spent last summer at an academic hospital shadowing several different physicians and actually turning down LORs b/c I thought three was enough. A good thing about shadowing academic physicians is that many of them are Adjuncts at medical schools. Two of the 3 DOs I secured LORs from were Adjuncts at PCOM. Most DOs know the game and realize that you will need a letter.

Good Luck.