Public Health Jobs for Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a question on public health jobs for physicians posted a couple of months ago, and I recently revisited it. There was some pretty good information in that thread, so I wanted to post it in here (don't know why I didn't in the first place :)). I've incorporated some of the additional information contributed from posters on the original thread, which can be found here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=116238

At the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are a million ways for physicians to work in a public health capacity at federal agencies under the Department of Health and Human Services, local and state agencies, and other international entities like the WHO (but I can only speak for domestic opportunities). Many of the docs here are internists, with a background in Infectious Disease (I think a one or two year fellowship post residency). There are also a few Pediatricians, Family Practitioners and Emergency Physicians who have received Preventive Medicine training (fellowship involves obtaining a MPH degree) or did an EIS (Epidemic Intellegence Service http://www.cdc.gov/eis/) fellowship. EIS is not just for physicians though - any person with a terminal degree can apply: MD, PhD, JD, DVM.

For example, our current director was trained in Internal Medicine (http://www.cdc.gov/bio.htm) and our former director was trained in Family Medicine (http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/libra.../biosatcher.htm). The current commissioner of the NYC Department of Mental Health and Hygiene is an Internist and EIS alum (http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/commish/combio.html). So there are a number of ways to get involved in public health later in your career.

Other physicians joined the Public Health Service (United States Commissioned Corps), which is the only non-military Uniformed Service (http://www.usphs.gov/). This is an option if you desire to enter and retire from the Commissioned Corps and work at the national level in federal government (you have the option of working for CDC, Indian Health Service, Agency for Healthcare Quality Research, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Food & Drug Administration, Health Resources and Services Administration, National Institutes of Health, Substance Abuse and mental Health Services Administration, Federal Bureau of Prisons, etc.). Links to these agencies are provided on the USPHS website.

As a fourth year medical student, there is an opportunity for you to do a three-month rotation at CDC through the EIS program (called the Epidemiology Elective). You can find more information on the program on the EIS website listed above. You can also do a public health internship after your first year of medical school as well.

Let's add more to this resource. If you think of anything else, post it here!

Best,
H&T

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of applying to medical school but I'm very interested in pursuing public health as my end goal. I am particularly passionate about the field of environmental public health, and I've struggled with deciding between an MPH and and MD (or even PhD).

For the physicians working at the CDC, do any of them still practice medicine? Or have most of them migrated to this research space? After your 4th year, what kind of training programs are ideal? For instance, would a good choice be to do an IM residency, then the EIS fellowship?

Any insight into this field would help me immensely. Thank you!
An MD will give you a lot more credibility with your work. It's a very powerful degree to have in global and public health. The downside is the time required to complete training. You would also want to ensure you can learn some of the public health material through your own time (e.g., reading on your own, doing research of some sort) as medical training doesn't emphasize public health enough.

A lot physicians at the CDC don't really practice medicine. Many physicians I do know who are able to do both public health and still practice medicine are MDs or MD/PhDs in academia who spend 75% of their time doing research and 25% of their time practicing medicine. Academic jobs are hard enough to get though. Most physicians who work at the CDC do so as "Medical Officers" and are able to work in a variety of spaces at CDC.

After 4th year of medical school, you would definitely go into residency. You can look at lots of different profiles of physicians in public health, but from what I've seen, quite a few of them go into internal medicine, (and then there's family medicine, emergency medicine, etc). Internal medicine seems the way to go for public health physicians as it also gives you a nice population health perspective of things (primary care, chronic disease, etc). You could do an EIS after either an MD+residency, or PhD.

The question of whether to get your MD or PhD before going into public health is not one that is easily answered in one post on SDN. What's most important is that you look at the profiles of people in the types of positions you want to be in, doing the type of work you want to be in. What are the majority of them doing? What education did they do? What route did they take? You should also talk to MDs and PhDs about this. The thing you have to be careful with is that 90% of the time, when you ask someone for advice, they'll tell you the route they did. It's hard to find someone who can objectively tell you the pros and cons of each degree. Medical training and the MD degree are highly valued in public health, and the medical training doesn't come through any other means other than medical school (I mean you can go to nursing school or PA school, but to be taken seriously in public health at a high level in government or academia, you MUST have either an MD or PhD (unless you're someone like Bill Gates). Getting a PhD will give you more technical expertise in a subject, but the MD gives you more versatility in public health. Last thing to be aware of is that the MD is an expensive degree (if you don't get scholarship, you're looking at $150,000+ in loans). Though if you get an MPH before going onto your PhD, you could also be paying a lot of loans there.