Stay at Private School with lower GPA, or go public to raise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pinkertinkle said:
It's all relative. Two people of equal mental capacity but of differing testing ability could score quite differently on the MCAT, and you'd be hard pressed to say that the one who got a 30 instead of a 35 isn't fit for medical school. If some of you do not believe in such a thing as "testing taking ability," I assure you that there is such a thing.

Test taking ability figures into every test you take, not just the MCAT. Unlike other tests, you know that you have to overkill on the MCAT. It isn't okay to just say - "oh i didn't study".

I think 75% of my science classes had little if any homework and my entire grade was based on 3-4 exams (and possibly lab work). Please tell me how there is a difference b/t those tests and the MCAT.

Oh wait, there is a difference b/t my colleges population and the average population that takes the MCAT. My college has a more academically adept population. Hence their average MCAT is >31 while the national average for a random student is a 24.

Members don't see this ad.

RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR This debate is so played out. +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

howarddean2004.gif

Peterock said:
Test taking ability figure into every test you take, not just the MCAT. Unlike other tests, you know that you have to overkill on the MCAT. It isn't okay to just say - "oh i didn't study".

I think 75% of my science classes had little if any homework and my entire grade was based on 3-4 exams (and possibly lab work). Please tell me how there is a difference b/t those tests and the MCAT.

Oh wait, there is a difference b/t my colleges population and the average population that takes the MCAT. My college has a more academically adept population. Hence their average MCAT is >31 while the national average for a random student is a 24.

I am refering specifically to multiple choice test taking skills that are very important for tests such as the MCAT and SAT. The vast majority of tests I was given that determine my GPA were not multiple choice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pinkertinkle said:
I am refering specifically to multiple choice test taking skills that are very important for tests such as the MCAT and SAT. The vast majority of tests I was given that determine my GPA were not multiple choice tests.

I don't think the challenging "fill in the bubble multiple choice" test taking skill is something that is gonna make a difference of 25 to 50 questions on the MCAT. Again I look at the difference b/t a 24 (national ave) and 32 (MCAT ave) and I can't help but think that the people who get lower scores just don't know the material.

As far as individuals go. I can easily admit a guy with a 29 mcat could be smarter than a guy with a 35 mcat, however, an individual case does not carry over to an entire school population.

If 50 people / year are taking the mcat from yoru school and getting a 35, you're in for some tough classes.... if on the other hand they're getting a 24 .... then your A's aren't exactly that tough to get.

"A 'top-tier' private school would not give out 1/3 A's. That's bull****. There are tons of crappy private schools and I'm sure their students get A's for free. Same for public schools. As far as getting extra time.... that's an even bigger crock of bull****. You do what your teacher allows, and you do not get extra time. I hate this type of ridiculous anecdotal evidence b/c we can pretty much be assured that these private school kids are not majoring in CS at Yale."

You're the crock of bull****. 33% As awarded is the AVERAGE for many "top-tier" institutions. Read the dozens of grade inflation studies out there and wash some of the ignorance off you. Additionally, what I was primarily responding to was this little *****ic statement that slipped your lips when you had no idea what institution he/she was even from:

"A lot of *****s will try to tell you that your private school isn't any harder. They're wrong."

You like contradicting yourself? Or do you just not have any understanding of the English language?

Sapps said:
At their private undergrad, over 1/3 of the class usually get As. Here only the tope 5-7% do.
If that's true, then you go to the most grade deflated undergrad of all-time.

IndyZX said:
If that's true, then you go to the most grade deflated undergrad of all-time.

We had 7 As in organic 1, ~200 students.

I'm sure the percent is higher outside of the sciences, though.

ok, so you were referring to a single class...

Sapps said:
"A 'top-tier' private school would not give out 1/3 A's. That's bull****. There are tons of crappy private schools and I'm sure their students get A's for free. Same for public schools. As far as getting extra time.... that's an even bigger crock of bull****. You do what your teacher allows, and you do not get extra time. I hate this type of ridiculous anecdotal evidence b/c we can pretty much be assured that these private school kids are not majoring in CS at Yale."

You're the crock of bull****. 33% As awarded is the AVERAGE for many "top-tier" institutions. Read the dozens of grade inflation studies out there and wash some of the ignorance off you. Additionally, what I was primarily responding to was this little *****ic statement that slipped your lips when you had no idea what institution he/she was even from:

"A lot of *****s will try to tell you that your private school isn't any harder. They're wrong."

You like contradicting yourself? Or do you just not have any understanding of the English language?

You don't even know how to use qoutes correctly and you're trying to call me out? Please.

"A lot of *****s will try to tell you that your <top tier> private school isn't any harder." That is what was implied considering the OP was saying he wanted to go to a less competitive public school to save money and get better grades. The quote made sense in context and still does.

I do not think that University of South Carolina has better average students than Upenn.

Anyway, by your logic my freshman calc class makes my ugrad the hardest b/c nobody in the class got an A or even an A-. I bet all the smarties in your ugrad destroyed the MCAT too? :laugh:

Post your ugrad.

The OP of this thread, as well as most of the people replying, tend to have too many generalizations around public schools. There are certain tiers for public institutions, as well, you know. Not all of them are equally the same. Also, depending on what a person is majoring in, it may very well be that no matter where you go the difficulty will still be similar (ie. the material you are being taught does not change). Not all private schools hand out A's on candy canes, but there are a vast lot that do. There has to be some incentive for paying $35K-45K, right? At my institution, the maximum number of A's given out (in the sciences) is roughly 10-15%; the population of the class is generally anywhere between 100 to 300, with 150 being most representative. Obviously there are deviations from this rule of thumb, but it is considered fairly standard. Unfortunately, medical schools really don't care where you did your undergrad, nor whether or not you're a biology major.

Edit: I personally believe there is very little correlation between MCAT and GPA. In an ideal world, there would be. However, there are a lot of other various factors to consider, including stress. I know that most of our class exams are based on 2-3 midterms/finals, but those are given in quite a different testing environment; the pressure is also a bit less. Just one other thing to consider...

Peterock said:
You don't even know how to use qoutes correctly and you're trying to call me out? Please.

"A lot of *****s will try to tell you that your <top tier> private school isn't any harder." That is what was implied considering the OP was saying he wanted to go to a less competitive public school to save money and get better grades. The quote made sense in context and still does.

I do not think that University of South Carolina has better average students than Upenn.

Anyway, by your logic my freshman calc class makes my ugrad the hardest b/c nobody in the class got an A or even an A-. I bet all the smarties in your ugrad destroyed the MCAT too? :laugh:

Post your ugrad.

And you had, what, 18 people in your calc class? Now that's a valid sample size. Heh.

IndyZX said:
ok, so you were referring to a single class...

Where did you draw that conclusion from? That was called an example.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sapps said:
And you had, what, 18 people in your calc class? Now that's a valid sample size. Heh.

This is completely off subject, but my biochem class (second semester) had only 3 students in it, and my organic synthesis class will only have 5 :)

Medikit said:
This is completely off subject, but my biochem class (nucleic acids) had only 3 students in it, and my organic synthesis class will only have 5 :)

That's insane...I like less crowded environments though. Very easy to make friends when you're only grouped with a few people.

Assembler said:
That's insane...I like less crowded environments though. Very easy to make friends when you're only grouped with a few people.

I really liked it, although the professor took advantage of it by making the tests extremely detailed since she was only grading 3 of them. We had oral reports as well :(.

In general Chemistry is pretty tight-nit here as there are very few majors.

Sapps said:
Where did you draw that conclusion from? That was called an example.
I drew that conclusion from what you offered me. But, if you are trying to say that your school gives out under 10% As routinely, then, yes, I am going to have to say that you an extremely deflated school grading system.

I didn't call BS on you. I just think if that's true, then your undergrad is extremely difficult. More difficult than I can possibly imagine.

Sapps said:

Actually it was more like 25-30. Oh and before you go knocking the sample size, I know at least two of my classmates are in medical school - one Harvard and one UNC. Neither got A's...

You can talk up your school all you want, but the bottom line is you won't say which school you go to and you definitely won't say what the ave. student gets on their MCAT.

Sapps said:
We have about half a dozen private schoolers that came to our university for summer courses, organic II, and they have all been throwing fits since the first day:

At their private undergrad, organic courses give A's at 80-82%
At their private undergrad, they get "plenty of time" for exams." We get hour exams. One hour and you are done. Most of them haven't finished an exam yet.
At their private undergrad, over 1/3 of the class usually get As. Here only the tope 5-7% do.

I know what you're talking about. At my school, a 2nd tier public university, people who couldn't cut it in our O-Chem took it at one of the small private schools nearby.

I'll be one of the first to admit that my school has a problem with grade inflation. However, there are classes and programs (architecture, engineering, computer science, biotechnology) in which the majority of classes are very demanding and grades are not inflated. It's all up to the professor, I think.

And really, the difficulty of a school doesn't depend so much on whether it's public or private or even whether it's in the top tier or below. It depends more on the grading policies and expectations of the faculty. If Bhavesh has taken classes at both schools and found the public school to be easier, chances are it really is easier. However, I suspect that Bhavesh lost interest in this thread a long time ago.

God damn, this thread is ugly. :(

Peterock said:
Actually it was more like 25-30. Oh and before you go knocking the sample size, I know at least two of my classmates are in medical school - one Harvard and one UNC. Neither got A's...

You can talk up your school all you want, but the bottom line is you won't say which school you go to and you definitely won't say what the ave. student gets on their MCAT.

Yes, I believe you and your friends more readily than dozens of objective studies comprising hundreds of thousands of students. I was foolish to doubt you.

Sapps said:
Yes, I believe you and your friends more readily than dozens of objective studies comprising hundreds of thousands of students. I was foolish to doubt you.

LOL. I swear, this guy is just a glutton for punishment (PeteRock)...I don't think he even REALIZES that he contradicts himself. He talked about how he was annoyed/frustrated with people using anecdotal evidence to back up their claims...then he goes ahead and posts this nonsense about his calculus class that gave out 0 As..and how 2 people in the class ended up at Harvard Med and UNC med ..Isn't that anecdotal evidence? I swear..the guy has **** for brains

My anecdotal evidence is equally worthless... thats kind of the point, which you both missed. Neither class is representative of the school OR major, so using it to brag about how great your school is misleading and pointless.

Both examples are completely wrong.

I was simply imitating the absurd style.

But you guys are so sharp I'm sure you caught that.

BerkeleyPremed said:
LOL. I swear, this guy is just a glutton for punishment (PeteRock)...I don't think he even REALIZES that he contradicts himself. He talked about how he was annoyed/frustrated with people using anecdotal evidence to back up their claims...then he goes ahead and posts this nonsense about his calculus class that gave out 0 As..and how 2 people in the class ended up at Harvard Med and UNC med ..Isn't that anecdotal evidence? I swear..the guy has **** for brains

The whole point was to repeat the error in argument, Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

Isn't that personal attack a TOS violation?
I swear, BPM stalks me all over this website making personal insults... leave it in my PM-box, buddy.