Can Somebody Help Me??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meghna5

meghna5
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hai SDN viewers..

Hope all of you are doing great!! I LOVE THIS SITE!!

I am a dentist from India...I have just started studying for NBDE part 1 in December....gosh..i dont know where to start...got Kaplan notes and dental decks 2001...but no textbooks..i can get loans from the library..but dont know which ones are good :confused: ...can u guys help me out? cd u tell me which texts u r following?

thanks guys..KEEP ROCKING!!

meghana

Members don't see this ad.

Hi meghna5,

Although I am just finished 1st year (so I know nothing about which books to study from for the national boards), I suggest you give a new post/thread in the dental section instead of here (international dental). In there you will get a reply in about a day rather than a week in here. I know what I am talking about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi meghna5,
you say you r preparing for the boards in december,so that should give you ample time to study from textbooks,if u choose to do so.generally,students including myself,just use decks and old question papers,and kaplan book for reference.doing these materials thoroughly should prepare u well,some students do refer to chaurasia for anatomy esp. head and neck.....but in the end,the choice is yours....everyone's preferences and studying style is different.the materials i mentioned above are tried and tested,but use whatever works for u,all the best.....

Members don't see this ad :)
The only textbook I ever needed for NBDE part I was ?Review of basic science & clinical dentistry? volume I (and volume II is for part II). Editors for this textbook are: Jack E Wells, Marvin W Reed and Victor M Coury ISBN 0-06-142658-x (I imagine they have newer editions since the time I took part I)

I also purchased all the reprints from previous exams for all the years (they were the most helpful). These were the only sources I invested my $ in (I never heard about dental decks at that time and was not part of SDN). If I needed a picture or some additional info, I used Internet.
Exam was very easy for me but lots of people waste their time for all the junk they read.
You can read all you want but if you just study previous exam reprints (available on ADA web site) and try understand the answers instead of just memorizing them you Will Pass! (Though I knew some people: they just memorized answers from reprints and they passed).

Good luck.
Dr. Eager (DDS / California)

Hi Megha and welcome to SDN.
Browse the Preparation thread and I have given a complete list of books that I had referred while prep.
or pm me and I will send you the list again

hai guys..

I HAVE to say this...i am overwhelmed at the prompt response...i have never in my life experienced something like this..where ppl are more than willing to help strangers..where no matter the colour, creed or race, it is silently understood that we r all humans..and that we all need help once in a while..

thank u for ur suggestions, sweetyork and mnm! eager_1...if i was a little lucky...i wd have gone places by now..boy, wd i have ever!! so guess i have to use all the help i can get!! thanks buddy!

pinktooth..do check ur pms...

thanks

meghana.

hi meghana,
i am also a textbook freak i studied chaurasia for anat
chaudhary and decks for physio
siddiqui for biochem and harshmohan for patho
kaplan for micro
dadh wheeler's decks
overall decks are very important after reading books making notes do read decks and papers atleast 3-4 times

thanks pari..

hey guys..i am also preparing for Part 1..its taking me a long time to study new topics..only becoz i dont know whats imp and whats not..so i have to read the whole thing...i have an idea...maybe all those who r trying for dec NBDE shd each view a topic...and then post on the SDN what to study and what not to study abt THAT topic....then we wd not have to read everything blindly to find which is important ..we can save a lot of time that way..

so if 10 of us view one topic each...we can all cover 10 topics in lesser time than we wd usually take if we review each topic completely on our own..

hows that?

hi guys wanting to buy the followoing books

if somebody is having or know somebody who is interested to sell please PM me with the asking price

1)human anatomy by B D Chaurasia (head and neck)

2)microbiology by Ananthnarayan

3)BRS for pathology and physiology

4)kaplan book

5)pathology by harshmohan

all in hard copy

thanks

MS_TOOTHMANIAC said:
thanks pari..

hey guys..i am also preparing for Part 1..its taking me a long time to study new topics..only becoz i dont know whats imp and whats not..so i have to read the whole thing...i have an idea...maybe all those who r trying for dec NBDE shd each view a topic...and then post on the SDN what to study and what not to study abt THAT topic....then we wd not have to read everything blindly to find which is important ..we can save a lot of time that way..

so if 10 of us view one topic each...we can all cover 10 topics in lesser time than we wd usually take if we review each topic completely on our own..

hows that?

HEY GUYS, GALS...

what do u think of toothmaniac's plan?

meghna5 said:
HEY GUYS, GALS...

what do u think of toothmaniac's plan?
hi meghna5..great plan......START A NEW THREAD....
ALL THE BEST...
do well...
may GOD bless you.....

meetlife said:
hi meghna5..great plan......START A NEW THREAD....
ALL THE BEST...
do well...
may GOD bless you.....

thanks pal..

check out the new thread..

meghana

MS_TOOTHMANIAC said:
thanks pari..

hows that?
If you wanna know wha'ts important do the decks over and over...THAT'S what's important they really know what they are talking about..do them adn old test papers i can't stress this point enuf

I second kurram's suggestion