Spell Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JD_USD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. I've been reading posts the last few days and just had to put this up for discussion:

People are having a difficult time posting comments with correct spelling and grammar here. I realize we're in a relaxed atmosphere, but for me it starts getting annoying when attempting to follow "...I always feel like grapping the prof and shaking them and yelling..." and "...I've never taping lectures." laden conversations.

I think we need a spell-checking feature integrated into SDN.

I am not attempting to harp on any type of specific race or nationality or foreigners. I just think that if we are all trying to be future professionals, we should at least hold up some type of standard to our English.

Disclaimer: Examples used were meant to elucidate the situation and are not meant to offend whom they came from.

Members don't see this ad.

JD_USD said:
Good afternoon everyone. I've been reading posts the last few days and just had to put this up for discussion:

People are having a difficult time posting comments with correct spelling and grammar here. I realize we're in a relaxed atmosphere, but for me it starts getting annoying when attempting to follow "...I always feel like grapping the prof and shaking them and yelling..." and "...I've never taping lectures." laden conversations.
I have to agree, especially because this was your last post:

JD_USD said:
That's b/c the site is ran from America.

It happens to everyone. ;)

JD_USD said:

I am not attempting to harp on any type of specific race or nationality or foreigners. I just think that if we are all trying to be future professionals, we should at least hold up some type of standard to our English.

Disclaimer: Examples used were meant to elucidate the situation and are not meant to offend whom they came from.

This has been brought up many times, and here's an example of such a thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=117554&highlight=forum+etiquette). I have no doubt that peers, professors, and members of adcoms of prospective pharmacy schools know of this forum and read some of the posts.

Poor grammar irks me to no end, but I've come to the conclusion that either I have to ignore these posts (by those who shall remain nameless ;)) or just skip over them. Life is too short to your pants all in a bunch over someone else's bad habits.

Members don't see this ad :)
JD_USD said:

For what it's worth, I was offended. Oh, and by the way, you're not suppose to end a sentence with a preposition. No offense. Just elucidating the situation.

vafcarrot said:
For what it's worth, I was offended. Oh, and by the way, you're not suppose to end a sentence with a preposition. No offense. Just elucidating the situation.

Sorry vafcarrot, but all I can say is that there was a disclaimer for good reason.

FutureRxGal said:
This has been brought up many times, and here's an example of such a thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=117554&highlight=forum+etiquette). I have no doubt that peers, professors, and members of adcoms of prospective pharmacy schools know of this forum and read some of the posts.

Poor grammar irks me to no end, but I've come to the conclusion that either I have to ignore these posts (by those who shall remain nameless ;)) or just skip over them. Life is too short to your pants all in a bunch over someone else's bad habits.

I agree, and thank you for sticking to the topic I am trying to discuss here. I think the issue is rather serious and we don't need to continue this cut-throat, back-and-forth rebutting. Or else I would have mentioned that you left out "get" in your reply:

FutureRxGal said:

JD_USD said:
Or else I would have mentioned that you left out "get" in your reply:

Oh for pete's sake. If you notice when I told you that registered is spelled with two R's, there was a ;) there to indicate I was teasing you. Perhaps that would have been clear had I used a :p instead. :rolleyes:

You gotta love picking nits. :thumbup:

FutureRxGal said:
Oh for pete's sake. If you notice when I told you that registered is spelled with two R's, there was a ;) there to indicate I was teasing you. Perhaps that would have been clear had I used a :p instead. :rolleyes:

You gotta love picking nits. :thumbup:

:laugh: I guess I should have included a wink too. I was only teasing you as well. And yes, I'll be humble enough to admit that the second 'r' was removed ASAP. :) That sure was yoke on my face! :p

And sorry for the sharp reply JDpharmd?. I had the picture of a little guy in the back of my head that said you'd reply first, but would not be on topic. He looked like this: :smuggrin:

JD_USD said:
jdpharmd?, I remember commenting about grammar and spelling, not acronyms.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?p=dict&String=exact&Acronym=B/C

b/c: acronym for because.

FutureRxGal, I don't get it. But poor grammar irks me too.

Actually, it's because the proper way to say:

JD_USD said:
That's b/c the site is ran from America.

is "That's b/c the site is run from America." Sorry that you didn't understand, even after I pointed it out to you. :smuggrin:

Edit: (Just in case you care)

"?This agency is ran by the Deaf.?
What you have in this sentence is a use of passive voice, which requires the past participle verb form. Remember that you cannot use the past tense right next to other verbs. ?Is,? in this case, is the main verb. To correct the above sentence, you need to say, ?This agency is run by the Deaf.?
"

source: http://www.danielgreene.com/vwvalor/vwvalor3.html

That is all. :rolleyes:

Why is this in the lounge? :confused:

Whom have we offended? :eek: (to deserve this thread thrust upon us?)

P.S. If there are any errors here, I apologize, but you're in the lounge now, where 'nothing is taken seriously.' :) ;)

Way to put it...anything goes here...:)
Some ppl even purposely put in bad grammer...those getting upset should look around the lounge and loosen the neck tie up a bit too. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
UNTlabrat said:
Why is this in the lounge? :confused:

Whom have offended? :eek: (to deserve this thread thrust upon us?)

P.S. If there are any errors here, I apologize, but you're in the lounge now, where 'nothing is taken seriously.' :) ;)
This thread was moved to the lounge. It didn't start here.

As future pharmacists we may have to decode a lot worse :)

jdpharmd? said:
This thread was moved to the lounge. It didn't start here.
I know! Send it back! :eek:

But y'all are welcome to peruse our random grammatical and spelling errors while you're here.... :)

It was intended for the pharmacy forum.

To make the point of my thread known, here is my justification of why I wanted to start it:
Dear Brill,

I have created a thread titled "Spell Check". It was moved out of the Pharmacy forum and to the lounge. I believe the topic is a serious one and should be addressed, especially by the pharmacy population. I feel if this post is not brought back to the pharmacy forum it would be an unjust censorship. Prepharmacy students often come to our forum asking about various ways of satisfying English prerequisites and the TOFL exams. I hoped that this thread would help emphasize the subject and its importance.

Sincerely,

JD_USD

off2skl said:
As future pharmacists we may have to decode a lot worse :)

Aww what a cuutsee wuuteseee doggie! Awwwww :D

move this thread to hell, please.

JD_USD:
Did it occur to you that while you're trying to set an example of other's grammar mistakes, you can't admit your own? Sometimes things are an honest mistake. Vafcarrot is definitely one of the better posters with regard to grammar and just b/c she slips up once - you try to make an example of her? Give me a break! There are plenty of other pharm forum posters that have horrid writing skills (ahem *Nightingale*), you should have quoted one of their posts.

By the way, I've learned it doesn't matter what you try to suggest. Those who write poorly are going to still write poorly. They either 1) don't see that they have a problem, 2) don't have the brain power to fix the problem, or 3) don't give a rat's ass.

1) whom they came from instead of from whom they came

2) b/c the site is ran from America instead of b/c the site is run from America

good job OP!

i really like that second one, too, because even after someone corrected you, you still did not get it.

Give me a break! I can't believe that someone took the time to create this thread. Hows about we talk about the important stuff regarding pharmacy?

who called the grammAr police?

Getting back to the original point, (the side point being the lounge is brutal :D ,) good communication skills are not conferred by a spell check program. Spelling is less important than grammar because we generally recognize words even if they are misspelled. And, proper grammar is the backbone of communication.

A person with a good grasp of the English language understands more than just basic grammatical principles. Constant errors should not be characteristic of college bound students, much less those headed for a Pharm.D. program. Poor grammar makes people appear less educated and therefore less likely to be taken seriously. In many cases, poor grammar can also be precieved as disrespectful. If someone does not bother to write clearly, do they care if the reader understands? It brings to mind a receptionist chewing gum. Nobody wants to sort through a garbled mess.

Things that annoy me, personally:
Interchanging sound alike words
Using incorrect or inconsistent verb tenses
Run on sentances
Avoiding punctuation
Using letters to phonetically replace words or parts of words

That said, when it is obvious that someone is still learning the English language, they deserve a break. I have met enough native English speakers with poor or sloppy grammatical skills not to assume that poor grammar = ESL. If I notice that certain types of words are repeatedly left out or the verb tenses are often generic, I may suspect that a person is learning English as a second language and not get annoyed by poor grammar.

bananaface said:
Getting back to the original point, (the side point being the lounge is brutal :D ,) good communication skills are not conferred by a spell check program. Spelling is less important than grammar because we generally recognize words even if they are mispelled. And, proper grammar is the backbone of communication.

A person with a good grasp of the English language understands more than just basic grammatical principles. Constant errors should not be characteristic of college bound students, much less those headed for a Pharm.D. program. Poor grammar makes people appear less educated and therefore less likely to be taken seriously. In many cases, poor grammar can also be precieved as disrespectful. If someone does not bother to write clearly, do they care if the reader understands? It brings to mind a receptionist chewing gum. Nobody wants to sort through a garbled mess.

Things that annoy me, personally:
Interchanging sound alike words
Using incorrect or inconsistent verb tenses
Run on sentances
Avoiding punctuation
Using letters to phonetically replace words or parts of words

That said, when it is obvious that someone is still learning the English language, they deserve a break. I have met enough native English speakers with poor or sloppy grammatical skills not to assume that poor grammar = ESL. If I notice that certain types of words are repeatedly left out or the verb tenses are often generic, I may suspect that a person is learning English as a second language and not get annoyed by poor grammar.

Well said bananaface. I feel the same way and am glad someone else was able to express their opinion about the topic I've tried to bring up. :thumbup:

bananaface said:
Spelling is less important than grammar because we generally recognize words even if they are misspelled.

This reminded me of an email I've seen. It's basically a paragraph of all misspelled words, but it makes sense. Apparently there was a study/theory that claimed that as long as the first and last letters are in the correct place (and I can't remember if all the remaining letters had to be correct, but could be misplaced) that most people would be able to understand what was written.

And I like my cutsie wutsie dog :)

Made me think of that as well. Note, though, there are several web pages dedicated to debunking that theory, but I'm too lazy to dig them up.

off2skl said:
This reminded me of an email I've seen. It's basically a paragraph of all misspelled words, but it makes sense. Apparently there was a study/theory that claimed that as long as the first and last letters are in the correct place (and I can't remember if all the remaining letters had to be correct, but could be misplaced) that most people would be able to understand what was written.

And I like my cutsie wutsie dog :)

This is it:

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Translated (for those who need it):

"According to a researcher at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole."

That's an interesting study by Cambridge. Something that may intrigue adcoms (hint, hint...) ;)

groo1515 said:
Give me a break! I can't believe that someone took the time to create this thread. Hows about we talk about the important stuff regarding pharmacy?

There's room and time to talk about both.

JD_USD said:
That's an interesting study by Cambridge. Something that may intrigue adcoms (hint, hint...) ;)

While this is interesting, did you check out jdpharmd's link? There isn't any proof that this was a real study; therefore, it's wise not to bring something like this up during an interview. Besides, what does a linguistic study have anything to do with pharmacy anyway?

AmandaRxs said:
While this is interesting, did you check out jdpharmd's link? There isn't any proof that this was a real study; therefore, it's wise not to bring something like this up during an interview. Besides, what does a linguistic study have anything to do with pharmacy anyway?

I think the study can be supported by how pharmacists can read a doctor's chicken scratch on a perscription. :) (no offense to the M.D.s out there)

-Just a thought

JD_USD said:

there are bigger problems in the world, namely, republicans.

So who care's about these here grammer problems on this board, it ain't the most biggest issues for us to be worries about, right?

:laugh:

JD_USD said:
I think the study can be supported by how pharmacists can read a doctor's chicken scratch on a perscription. :) (no offense to the M.D.s out there)

-Just a thought

"pre"scription sir.
haha

Wow, you diggin' yerselfs the biggest whole I evers had seen here.

FutureRxGal said:
Was it really necessary to bring up politics? Now this thread'll get thrown into the Everyone forum. :thumbup:

Oh Jesus, I know, and then flighterdoc and company will burn me at the stake. I feel the flames surrounding me already.

LOL

JD_USD said:

-Just a thought

Ok, now I'm getting a little ticked off. Spell check your damn posts if you think it's such a big deal (p-r-e-s-c-r-i-p-t-i-o-n). AND let's do a little reasoning here....the "Cambridge study" only works for common words. There is no way in hell that you can use this "study" to deduce a Dr's chicken scratch. Too many drugs are look-alikes(/sound-alikes) for this to "help" pharmacists.

Oneday_9 said:
Oh Jesus, I know, and then flighterdoc and company will burn me at the stake. I feel the flames surrounding me already.

LOL

Yeah, I feel you burning right now. I've almost flamed flighterdoc because of his signature line.

AmandaRxs said:
Ok, now I'm getting a little ticked off. Spell check your damn posts if you think it's such a big deal (p-r-e-s-c-r-i-p-t-i-o-n). AND let's do a little reasoning here....the "Cambridge study" only works for common words. There is no way in hell that you can use this "study" to deduce a Dr's chicken scratch. Too many drugs are look-alikes(/sound-alikes) for this to "help" pharmacists.

Just a thought means just a thought buddy (i.e.-not an intense critique). What are you so ticked off at again? By the way, good point about bringing something up that cannot be solidly supported by a reputable source.

dgroulx said:
Yeah, I feel you burning right now. I've almost flamed flighterdoc because of his signature line.

haha
I know, this is my fav:

Bush/Cheney 2004
Giuliani/Rice 2008 Giuliani/Rice 2012
Rice/Hannity 2016 Rice/Hannity 2020

This s*** cracks me up.

Can we just say we all make mistakes on this forum and just promise ourselves and others that we'll proofread and check spelling when it really matters (like for papers we turn in for grades or for applying to pharmacy school)? Let's keep out the teenybopper crap and for the rest of it, let's just go with the flow. If we keep going along the path we're going, the entire pharmacy forum section will be full of useless posts correcting everyone silly mistakes and will annoy the crap out of everyone.

I know that it was mentioned in a previous thread that we don't really know who comes to the forums and so we should be careful about what we write. I think it's silly. If an adcom comes on here, figures out who we are, and then decides to blackball us from getting into pharmacy school because we can't spell grapping and prescription right the first time around, then they have NO life and are jackasses anyway and we shouldn't want to go to a school that does stuff like that anyway.

I think it was the point that he started a thread that everyone needs to spellcheck their posts, and then proceeds to make a spelling error in every subsequent post he made. Would that fit under the definition of irony?

I think 98% of us here could care less about the spelling errors or bad grammar. If you have difficulty reading it or it's annoying you too much, just simply stop reading it. By the way, I didn't proofread this either.

who cares about the spell check? i would rather read a post w/ coherent points with some spelling errors rather than a perfectly spelled post has no points what so ever. this thread is ******ed(sorry i can't think of any other words) and it lost its point a long time ago. i hope people are courteous to read over what they wrote before they post. if you cannot understand what you just wrote, i doubt others will.

p.s. i never spell check on these posts. if you are a good spelled good for you.

Last edited:
Bruinized said:
Call be a hypocrite for posting this reply if you want. But I just couldn't help but noticed that this thread was started today and we are already on Page 3.
The thread was started about 34 hours before your post. That's not "today" in my book. :rolleyes:

Break out the baseball bats and settle this like men. Time 4 Sum Aksion!

Dear Fellow Pre-pharmacists and Pharmacists alike,

It seems to me that I have opened Pandora's box. My original intentions of opening this thread were sincere. I believe the topic is a serious one and should be addressed, especially by the pharmacy population. Serious not because of any particular misspellings by anyone, but due to the impact and how critical good communication is in the health field; whether between pharmacist and patient, doctor and pharmacist, or any other exchanging of vital information and ideas. Prep-pharmacy students often come to our forum asking about English & communication prerequisites and the TOFL exams. I hoped that this thread would help emphasize the subject and its importance, not necessarily meaning that absolutely every post need be spell and grammar checked. With this said, I would like to conclude as the final post on this Spell Check thread. Let us all continue with the pursuit of the dream we all have entered here for: $$Money$$
Come on, I have a sense of humor. :D

Cheers to Pharmacy,

JD_USD