Spell Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JD_USD said:
Let us all continue with the pursuit of the dream we all have entered here for: $$Money$$
Come on, I have a sense of humor. :D

Dude,

if you think all of us are doing this for money you are completely wrong. i hope that was a joke even though it wasn't funny. mod, please close this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

JD_USD said:
Dear Fellow Pre-pharmacists and Pharmacists alike,

It seems to me that I have opened Pandora's box. My original intentions of opening this thread were sincere. I believe the topic is a serious one and should be addressed, especially by the pharmacy population. Serious not because of any particular misspellings by anyone, but due to the impact and how critical good communication is in the health field; whether between pharmacist and patient, doctor and pharmacist, or any other exchanging of vital information and ideas. Prep-pharmacy students often come to our forum asking about English & communication prerequisites and the TOFL exams. I hoped that this thread would help emphasize the subject and its importance, not necessarily meaning that absolutely every post need be spell and grammar checked. With this said, I would like to conclude as the final post on this Spell Check thread. Let us all continue with the pursuit of the dream we all have entered here for: $$Money$$
Come on, I have a sense of humor. :D

Cheers to Pharmacy,

JD_USD

come on, man, just let it go...there was nothing virtuous or anything in your post, you were just busting someone's chops because they don't subscribe to the same philosophy as you that grammar and spelling need to be important on an INFORMAL forum on some random site in the middle of cyberspace.

I don't think any of this is THAT important to warrant serious concern. I believe what one of the early posters had said, it's about the points you make and not little grammatical and spelling errors. Most of those coming here are ambitious, intelligent people searching for information. The last thing any of us wants to worry about is if we're perfectly spelling and using proper grammar, school fills that void.

I doubt anyone would actually submit their essays using the same grammatical and spelling content as on here. The point of the matter is this, and I have thoroughly demolished this stupid post by now, if you're going to present yourself as aware of such errors and are truly concerned about the grammatical content of this tiny pharmacy forum, then please be sure to, AT LEAST, check your own posts to make sure your ideal is upheld. It destroys your credibility and good intentions.

This does not display a good sense at argumentation in academia, which, in my opinion, is almost as important as grammar and spelling.

Oneday_9 said:
I doubt anyone would actually submit their essays using the same grammatical and spelling content as on here.

That's because those people get others to write their essays for them. :p
The idea of an interview essay isn't so bad after all.

Members don't see this ad :)
AmandaRxs said:
That's because those people get others to write their essays for them. :p
The idea of an interview essay isn't so bad after all.

Yea, I am in agreeance on this, I think the interview essay definitely is revealing! Mine was pretty tough actually for UCSF and U of A but UCSD was a breeze. I had a variety of topics and each was a different exp but I felt they were best to weed out those who had essay edge and all.

Oneday_9 said:
Yea, I am in agreeance on this, I think the interview essay definitely is revealing! Mine was pretty tough actually for UCSF and U of A but UCSD was a breeze. I had a variety of topics and each was a different exp but I felt they were best to weed out those who had essay edge and all.

Just curious....what were your topics?

Last edited:
If you care enough about spelling correctly in your posts, you could just open another window and check out the online dictonary. It's what I do when I'm not sure about my spelling. As for grammer, just take the time to reread your post for anything that doesn't make sense.

As for my opinion about writing etiquette, I think incorrect spelling and grammer can make it difficult to understand what is said sometimes and it can be annoying to some people. Like I get annoyed at myself :D when I just don't know how to spell something or type something wrong from typing too fast. I wouldn't mind if there was one typo in someones message since people can make mistakes once in a while, but making many can be frustrating.

Basically, typos can be distracting and can make communication ineffective. That's why we were required to take English classes ever since we could go to school. Just a thought :)

panda103 said:
If you care enough about spelling correctly in your posts, you could just open another window and check out the online dictonary. It's what I do when I'm not sure about my spelling. As for grammer, just take the time to reread your post for anything that doesn't make sense.
1. "grammar"
panda103 said:
I think incorrect spelling and grammer...
2. "grammar"
panda103 said:
I wouldn't mind if there was one typo in someones message since people can make mistakes once in a while, but making many can be frustrating.
Agreed.

laura_mideon said:
Just curious....what were your topics?

UCSF: They had three one on technology's impact on culture and how we live, the other on mythical figures or children's story and some correlation with an organization (not sure on this), and one had an oxymoron or some pharse such as "Make Haste Slowly," or something like that. For these, you had to write in the space provided, it was a box on the sheet, and you couldn't write outside of this amount in the hour provided.

UCSD: You have a friend coming from out of town, describe where you would take them (your favorite places) and why. No length requirement, only req is that it is turned in by the end of the interview period. Very cool, I thought.

U of Arizona: The Surgeon General has invited you to help plan a way to improve prescription and non-prescription use in senior citizens. What is the elements, goals, and objectives of your plan, and how will you implement it. Had to write at least 5 pages on a blue book provided, very serious topic, very serious interview. My least fav of the three.

So a huge variety in how each school approached this part of the app process. Hope this helps.

Wow, those are all very different topics. That's cool though, the toughest one still isn't really all that tough. I thought they would be a little bit more like testing your knowledge, but it seems like it is more testing how you think on your feet and your english/writing skills.
That's cool, thanks!

laura_mideon said:
Wow, those are all very different topics. That's cool though, the toughest one still isn't really all that tough. I thought they would be a little bit more like testing your knowledge, but it seems like it is more testing how you think on your feet and your english/writing skills.
That's cool, thanks!

Exactly, but the U of A one you had to have some knowledge of pharmacy current events and the state of healthcare to really make a good essay.

Oneday_9 said:
Exactly, but the U of A one you had to have some knowledge of pharmacy current events and the state of healthcare to really make a good essay.

So if you have a well written, well thought out essay, but say, you don't really have a huge deal of knowledge (or specific knowledge) about all of those things, do you think it would weigh heavily against you?

With that type of a question I'm not really worried but if they asked a more specific, detail oriented question, I would be worried.

laura_mideon said:
So if you have a well written, well thought out essay, but say, you don't really have a huge deal of knowledge (or specific knowledge) about all of those things, do you think it would weigh heavily against you?

With that type of a question I'm not really worried but if they asked a more specific, detail oriented question, I would be worried.

Yea, I don't think it even cares about your knowledge in regards to a topic but how you present your ideas, what the content of the ideas are, and how you answer the question.

Don't even worry about it. But it is good to say on top of current events pertaining to both the medical field and pharmacy.

Oneday_9 said:
come on, man, just let it go...there was nothing virtuous or anything in your post, you were just busting someone's chops because they don't subscribe to the same philosophy as you that grammar and spelling need to be important on an INFORMAL forum on some random site in the middle of cyberspace.

I don't think any of this is THAT important to warrant serious concern. I believe what one of the early posters had said, it's about the points you make and not little grammatical and spelling errors. Most of those coming here are ambitious, intelligent people searching for information. The last thing any of us wants to worry about is if we're perfectly spelling and using proper grammar, school fills that void.

I doubt anyone would actually submit their essays using the same grammatical and spelling content as on here. The point of the matter is this, and I have thoroughly demolished this stupid post by now, if you're going to present yourself as aware of such errors and are truly concerned about the grammatical content of this tiny pharmacy forum, then please be sure to, AT LEAST, check your own posts to make sure your ideal is upheld. It destroys your credibility and good intentions.

This does not display a good sense at argumentation in academia, which, in my opinion, is almost as important as grammar and spelling.

If you thought I was "busting" someone's chops you?re mistaken. I never posted for the sake of being the ?Grammar Police? (or even argumentation), but rather for an intelligent ?awareness? discussion. If it?s your joy to flame go for it, I won?t stop you. But I would appreciate a cease of attacks on me [Read my PM to you and I think (hope) it will stop].

kwakster928 said:
Dude,

if you think all of us are doing this for money you are completely wrong. i hope that was a joke even though it wasn't funny. mod, please close this thread.

I thought I made it obvious about being a joke if I concluded with the statement: "Come on, I have a sense of humor :D "

I think you're just trying to be a wiseass, but maybe I?m also misinterpreting.

I should have put 10X smiles and winks so as not to confuse anyone, huh FutureRxGal? :laugh:

JD_USD said:
If you thought I was "busting" someone's chops you?re mistaken. I never posted for the sake of being the ?Grammar Police? (or even argumentation), but rather for an intelligent ?awareness? discussion. If it?s your joy to flame go for it, I won?t stop you. But I would appreciate a cease of attacks on me [Read my PM to you and I think (hope) it will stop].

I thought I made it obvious about being a joke if I concluded with the statement: "Come on, I have a sense of humor :D "

I think you're just trying to be a wiseass, but maybe I?m also misinterpreting.

I should have put 10X smiles and winks so as not to confuse anyone, huh FutureRxGal? :laugh:

Fair enough.
We're cool then.

Speaking of spelling and grammar. I just found a bin in my pharmacy labeled: sterile empty viles

Those must be some nasty, evil vials. :p