MTM Services

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultracet

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have had professors drive this into our brains already this semester.

What do you all think of the whole MTM thing?
Have you heard of it?

Do you like the language?

Members don't see this ad.

we just had a school wide seminar today covering MTM. it sounds good to me, and it seems like how/what they're teaching us in school is leaning towards us having more one-on-one interaction w/ the pt's. so it we're going to be trained to do it, might as well get paid, right?

I completely agree!! It will make all of the torture worth while if we actually are able to use our knowledge.

The only problem I forsee is in the language of it the only Health care provider mentioned is a pharmacist but it says that others can do the tasks.

Looking at it from a business standpoint... I fear they will hire nurses at half price instead of pharmacists.

I know that they can't do as good of a job because they are severely lacking in knowledge but do the MBAs and CFOs know that??

Members don't see this ad :)
MTM=Medication Therapy Management??? :confused: I'm not hip to the jive.

jdpharmd? said:
MTM=Medication Therapy Management??? :confused: I'm not hip to the jive.

yeah the part of medicare part D that gives us codes to charge for
managing therapy of people with multiple chronic illness on multiple medications...

Reactions: 1 user
ok folks.... having to read an article (or several) on it and caught something interesting...

this personal medication record thing....

patients are expected to carry it around with them everywhere (MD, pharmacy, etc..) which in theory is a great idea because then everyone would be aware of OTC and herbals as well as rx medications...

i realize there are limitations to who will actually receive MTMS however it seems to me like this could get a little out of hand and include a LOT of paperwork.

Here is the list that is supposed to be included on the PMR:
Patient name or identifier
medication name and strength
intended use, if known, for the meication
directions for use including regimen times
discretionary information such as precautions
start date of currently used medications (if known)
stop date of discontinued medications (if known)
pharmacist's name and contact information
prescriber's name and contact information
date of PMR creation and most recent update

i'm guessing some rphs will hand it to the patient and get them to fill it out and take with them if they want to...

well...
i guess that we are working on creating our own job security for when the schools finally flood the market...

bananaface said:
medical conditions not currently being treated with medication really ought be there too, for both drug-disease state interactions, and assessment of appropriate therapy.
right well...
that was just straight out of the article i was reading

bananaface said:
medical conditions not currently being treated with medication really ought be there too, for both drug-disease state interactions, and assessment of appropriate therapy.
but we are not diagnosticians

bananaface said:
I never said we were. The patient or PCP ought to provide the list of conditions.
a lot of companies are only going to allow people to enroll with metabolic disorder

i'm sure they'll expand as it gets a little more comfortable

bbmuffin said:
i realize there are limitations to who will actually receive MTMS however it seems to me like this could get a little out of hand and include a LOT of paperwork.

Here is the list that is supposed to be included on the PMR:
Patient name or identifier
medication name and strength
intended use, if known, for the meication
directions for use including regimen times
discretionary information such as precautions
start date of currently used medications (if known)
stop date of discontinued medications (if known)
pharmacist's name and contact information
prescriber's name and contact information
date of PMR creation and most recent update

i'm guessing some rphs will hand it to the patient and get them to fill it out and take with them if they want to...

well...
i guess that we are working on creating our own job security for when the schools finally flood the market...

Couldn't the patients just have a "smart card" with all of this info encoded on it. It could be either the magnetic strip type card or another type of card that would allow the pharmacist/physician to record info. They could just make the insurance card an all-in-one-card that records the info. Of course that would mean pharmacies and doctors offices would need a way to record onto the cards.

But it wouldn't be unlike OBRA '90 (does anyone talk about that anymore), which created these lame "Do you have any questions about your medication?" machines next to every pharmacy cash register in America.

Any of you in retail know of any computer systems in development to track patient interactions, print out a handy-dandy Personal Medication Record, and/or bill for services? It seems that this would be necessary to jump in with MTM when the magic date rolls around, yet I haven't heard anything from my Rite Aid employers regarding the issue.
It would be awful if the pharmacists had to start jotting things down in steno pads while a system was being put into place.