Official: Harvard 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobLJ99

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my welcome letter today and am ready to commit to Harvard Extension as a diploma seeking candidate! I am just finishing my master's program (3.97) and have to resurrect a low undergrad GPA (2.8).

My plan at Harvard is to start this summer with Chem I and II and to take Bio, Organic, and Physics in the fall and spring. Originally, I was going to be at Harvard for one year, but the thought of taking the MCAT in April of year 1 while keeping up in my course work is rather daunting especially for such a high stakes test. I plan on taking the MCAT in August, thus leaving ample time for preparation. Year 2 I will take Calculus I and II and an upper division science class (fall and spring). Also, by staying an extra year, I can strengthen my marginal undergrad GPA and possibly engage in some research experience.

I have completed my FAFSA and am in the process of sending out the additional paper work that Harvard Financial Aid requires. I was wondering what the approved budget is for Extension students as I will need to take out a private loan for my living costs. How is everyone seeking housing? I have just begun searching.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrat, that's an achievement. Now cling to this; FORWARD EVER, BACKWARD NEVER.

Members don't see this ad :)
BobLJ99 said:
I just received my welcome letter today and am ready to commit to Harvard Extension as a diploma seeking candidate! I am just finishing my master's program (3.97) and have to resurrect a low undergrad GPA (2.8).

My plan at Harvard is to start this summer with Chem I and II and to take Bio, Organic, and Physics in the fall and spring. Originally, I was going to be at Harvard for one year, but the thought of taking the MCAT in April of year 1 while keeping up in my course work is rather daunting especially for such a high stakes test. I plan on taking the MCAT in August, thus leaving ample time for preparation. Year 2 I will take Calculus I and II and an upper division science class (fall and spring). Also, by staying an extra year, I can strengthen my marginal undergrad GPA and possibly engage in some research experience.

I have completed my FAFSA and am in the process of sending out the additional paper work that Harvard Financial Aid requires. I was wondering what the approved budget is for Extension students as I will need to take out a private loan for my living costs. How is everyone seeking housing? I have just begun searching.

Congrats, I just sent my application out today. Question though, if you are planning on the two year plan, why the rush to get all of your pre reqs done in one year if your not taking the MCAT until year two. The schedule of classes is very flexable and will allow you to take upper level courses with your main courses. Therefore why not just take the regular chem/phys +upper level bio year one, Ochem/bio +calc etc year two and MCAT in April of year two rather than August? This would not only give you an advantage in the application cycle, but your core coursework will be more recent for the MCAT.

:luck:

p.s. was my official harvard thread not good enough for you? :smuggrin:

j/k

Sundarban1 said:
Congrats, I just sent my application out today. Question though, if you are planning on the two year plan, why the rush to get all of your pre reqs done in one year if your not taking the MCAT until year two. The schedule of classes is very flexable and will allow you to take upper level courses with your main courses. Therefore why not just take the regular chem/phys +upper level bio year one, Ochem/bio +calc etc year two and MCAT in April of year two rather than August? This would not only give you an advantage in the application cycle, but your core coursework will be more recent for the MCAT.

p.s. was my official harvard thread not good enough for you? :smuggrin:

j/k

LOL...In regards to shunning your thread, I apologize and actually laughed about it after I had posted my thread, wondering why I hadn't been more observant and thoughtful to yours.

The reason I plan on taking such a rigorous course load my first year is so that I can show admissions committees that despite my low undergrad GPA, I can handle a hefty load of sciences courses. Also, instead of having to prepare for the MCAT while at the same time being dedicated to class work, I can dedicate the entire summer to only the MCAT. This way, I will have completed all of the prereq classes needed to take the test and the material will still be fresh to me seeing as I will have just finished it. By doing this, I can free up my second year to take Calculus and an upper division science like Biochem.

Nice work bob. I recieved a welcome letter around thanksgiving and I have yet to send in my pic and financial aid stuff, but come this fall I will be there. I am coming from Minnesota but it is an easy move becasue I am leaving nothing behind. Don't know what I am doing for housing but there seems to be pleanty of options.

BobLJ99 said:
LOL...In regards to shunning your thread, I apologize and actually laughed about it after I had posted my thread, wondering why I hadn't been more observant and thoughtful to yours.

The reason I plan on taking such a rigorous course load my first year is so that I can show admissions committees that despite my low undergrad GPA, I can handle a hefty load of sciences courses. Also, instead of having to prepare for the MCAT while at the same time being dedicated to class work, I can dedicate the entire summer to only the MCAT. This way, I will have completed all of the prereq classes needed to take the test and the material will still be fresh to me seeing as I will have just finished it. By doing this, I can free up my second year to take Calculus and an upper division science like Biochem.

Nice, however I would talk with Dr. Fixen or other SDN's who've completed that route (regarding your schedule) before you commit (not that it can not be done, but it was not advised at the information session). Since your GPA was low to begin with, the last thing you would want to do is cut your nose to spite your face by sacrificing A's by overloading courses. As previous students have posted, the courses are rigorous to beging with, especially chem in summer school and then Ochem, physics and Bio in one semester. If you search the official 2004 thread, I beleive they discuss some of this in detail. As I eluded to before, I recently attended the information session for the extention school in Boston and I remember Dr. Fixen discouraging most students from doing the 1 year + summer route. As for your concern regarding "showing you can handle course load" etc..I beleive the rigor of the program speaks for itself (just look at the hight attrition rate), so there is little to prove on your part, aside from getting A's. Keep in mind you could take upper level courses in addition to your pre-med req's, too! I just remember a lot of people saying those three classes in one semester was hell. Furthermore, from what I gather the classes are more "theory based" than your regular pre-med classes, so you're really getting great MCAT review all the while, which takes some added pressure off in terms of what to study.

All I'm saying is get some addition feedback about that route before you dive in.

Congrats!

some questions though...... what kind of master's program are you in currently and were you a science major when you were undergrad?

It's been two years since i graduated with low undergrad GPA (i was a science major but wasnt pre-med) and now i am considering going to post bac prgrams..

BobLJ99 said:

kelly9ac said:
Congrats!

some questions though...... what kind of master's program are you in currently and were you a science major when you were undergrad?

It's been two years since i graduated with low undergrad GPA (i was a science major but wasnt pre-med) and now i am considering going to post bac prgrams..

Thanks Kelly! I am currently in a 60 credit graduate social work program. I only took four science classes as an undergrad, but did poorly in them (none of which were premed requirements). I was a human development major so the only science classes I took were general education requirements.

If you have any other questions for me feel free to ask!

BobLJ99 said:
I just received my welcome letter today and am ready to commit to Harvard Extension as a diploma seeking candidate!QUOTE]

what was the turn around from putting the letter in the box to receiving your acceptance?

BobLJ99 said:

Just a couple of cents,

I have just completed HES and have had all the success in the world during this application cycle. I did the two year plan with chem and phys in year 1 and bio and orgo in year 2. April MCAT in the spring of year 2. Calculus during the glide year.

Reasons:

1) Fixsen's bio class and the orgo format (I am currently an orgo TF) are better prep for the MCAT than any other review. I barely had to review biological sciences.

2) MCAT info will be fresh in your head in April. I do not recommend waiting until August when stuff has drifted over the summer. This is the primary reason HES tries to get students to spread a little so that they aren't too stressed for an April MCAT but the info is still fresh in their heads. Also, I know you weren't planning on doing this, but for others, don't apply the same year as taking the August MCAT if at all possible. Getting stuff in early is more CRITICAL than you can even imagine.

3) Gives you time to get a job duirng the day to get some research and clinical experience and pay the bills. I worked full time in a lab at Children's (best idea ever, gave me experience most non trads don't have) and got a tuition waiver from the hospital post-bac = free.

Cramming everything into one year can work for some, I know some that did it with flying colors. But then all you have is class. Doing something else during the day can really fill out an application and also keep you happier.

Okay that was more than a few cents, and a bit heavy handed for my usual style.

Anyway, congrats, you have picked an awesome program, and best of luck for your future.

Anyone curious about stuff can PM me.

Bump..accecpted today. You people still posting in the 2004 thread need to get on the bus... :D

Sundarban1 said:
Bump..accecpted today. You people still posting in the 2004 thread need to get on the bus... :D

I have filled in my Health Careers Program application, and am about to send it in. From my phone call with HCP earlier today, since the classes are open enrollment, you don't apply for them until much later in the year -- i.e., you don't fill in the HES form until later?

Is that correct?

Thanks -- and good look all -- hope to see you in the fall.

Sundarban, you mentioned you were at the info session in Jan. I was too. Did you ask any questions -- I'm trying to place you.

Jon

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi HES people,

I'm considering a class or two at the extension school in September. I was wondering how helpful their financial aid office is for people who are not in the certificate program. Would they even talk to me? I'd like to speak with someone about getting some private loans, likely Teri or CitiAsssit and really need some help in figuring out how to go about things. I'm worried if I could even get very much since I would like to take loans to support myself enitrely without working so as just to be able to focus on the classes.

Any input much appreciated.

Congrats! I have decided on staying at Harvard for two years. I was originally planning on doing everything (Bio, Organic, Chem, Physics) in a year and a summer. However, after careful consideration, I am going to take General Chemistry this summer at Harvard Summer School, I will take Biology and Organic the ensuing fall/spring, and the following year Physics and Calculus. What kind of schedule are you pondering?

Sundarban1 said:

BobLJ99 said:
Congrats! I have decided on staying at Harvard for two years. I was originally planning on doing everything (Bio, Organic, Chem, Physics) in a year and a summer. However, after careful consideration, I am going to take General Chemistry this summer at Harvard Summer School, I will take Biology and Organic the ensuing fall/spring, and the following year Physics and Calculus. What kind of schedule are you pondering?

I'm still waiting to hear back from other programs I've applied to, but if I do attend HES, I'd take the recommended schedule of Phys/Chem/Upper level year one, 2 classes in the summer (math and UL science), Ochem/Bio year two. :luck:

Sundarban1 said:
I'm still waiting to hear back from other programs I've applied to, but if I do attend HES, I'd take the recommended schedule of Phys/Chem/Upper level year one, 2 classes in the summer (math and UL science), Ochem/Bio year two. :luck:

I would not recommend taking more than 1 course at harvard over the summer if one of the classes sought is a science.

I got up extra early on the west coast to find out whats up with my app (sent feb 7). Spoke with Owen Petersen, he said he had to resend for my transcripts (i included unsealed trans) and that he was mailing out a response today. I asked what it said, his reply "I can tell you right now that youre accepted." Its rainy and dark out but Im my own sunshine today.

Our lease expires in mid june, I suppose well just pack up a u haul and head to cambridge, no doubt a good time to look for a spot. Anyone have any new in town tips, or any HES tips in general?

Thx all btw, this forum supplied tons of knowledge and insight that shaped and confirmed my post bacc choice.

There was a thread here on Boston housing/commuting a while back - I'd do a search on it.

boston.craigslist.org

jays2cool4u said:
I would not recommend taking more than 1 course at harvard over the summer if one of the classes sought is a science.

Thanks for the advice; I was actually thinking of taking the HIV/AIDS course and pre-calc during the summer, anyone take these courses?

I was also thinking of taking human phys I&II with the standard chem and physics year one. Has anyone taken human phys and can comment? I've taken disease mechanishms ( human pathophysiology) in graduate school and did well (mind you I had never taken a anatomy/physiology course, so I had to learn the systems and the disease mechanisms at one time! OUCH!).

Thanks.

I think there are a lot of us moving to Boston that will be looking for accommodation. Post any insights or tips you discover. I'll try to do the same.
:D
Jon

jonathani1 said:
I think there are a lot of us moving to Boston that will be looking for accommodation. Post any insights or tips you discover. I'll try to do the same.
:D
Jon

There is a thread in the post-bac forum titled Boston Living that can give you a one-dimensional view of the Boston Metro area.

jays2cool4u :cool:

I have some pretty general questions.

I applied to the HES program ~a week ago and I am expecting to get in, and if by chance I don't, I still plan to take courses and reapply.

A little background: My BA is in Sociology and I have a 2.95 GPA - I think I took a total of one science course through undergrad, so my science GPA is based on that at a whopping 2.7. In essence, I haven't done anything applicants to medical school typically should do (volunteering, shadowing, research, job in med field) and I feel like a blank slate! However, I'm a bit (or a lot) tarnished by my GPA.

In Sept I'll be taking classes one way or another at HES. I graduated last May so I have been out of school for one year. In that year I have worked one job - as a nanny. When I move to Cambridge in Sept. I will be seeking a new job, and I have decided that I want to work part-time in order to devote myself primarily to my courses. Depending on pay, I hope to work 15-20 hours p/wk and I will be taking out student loans to supplement my income/pay for school/etc.

My question is this: What should I do for work? I feel like I don't have the experience to get a job at a hospital, but would I really be screwing myself if I didn't try? I am planning to volunteer, but is this really enough? I'd rather work 15-20 hours a week getting $18 an hour rather than earning $8 an hour working in the file room at a hospital (somehow I think that's where I'd end up).

My main concerns are that I a) have a roof over my head b) do well in my courses c) have enough money to eat d) be able to somewhat enjoy these two years whilst at the same time creating something of merit to add to my med school app.

Would it be foolish to get a non-med school app boosting sort of job for the first year at HES?

Mostly, I'm just curious what other people have done while in a post-bac program.

I worked full-time in a lab all the way through HES. It is doable if you don't care about having .. you know ... a life or any other extraneous distractions. :D But honestly, I worked full time took two courses, and still had time to go out for beers after school and chill a little on the weekend. It all depends on what your baseline is (and how much sleep you need) I liked working in research because often the hours are flexible. I would often leave early before tests etc. It is certainly worth a look.

twicetenturns said:
I worked full-time in a lab all the way through HES. It is doable if you don't care about having .. you know ... a life or any other extraneous distractions. :D But honestly, I worked full time took two courses, and still had time to go out for beers after school and chill a little on the weekend. It all depends on what your baseline is (and how much sleep you need) I liked working in research because often the hours are flexible. I would often leave early before tests etc. It is certainly worth a look.

I would strongly advise against this and assume that twicetenturns is gifted academically. There are only a few people in HES that are able to work full-time, take two science classes with lab, and still manage to get As. If you are considering HES next year, part-time employment and 2 classes are more than enough. It's just like one of the cases where you hear people say, "I only studied 1 month before the MCAT for only 1 hour a day and still managed to get a 35Q". Remember, you want to hit the ground running.

Would yall say Havard E-School is just for folks doing the prereqs or for people doing upper level sciences only. Also if someone is applying now..what is the procedure..do you just do the E-school app adn then wait until Fall to apply to the Health Careers Program for sponsorship? I can't quite figurte out how the application process works from the website. Also what is this fee? Can I email the director to find out more information?

Thanks

SP98

6ONSP98 said:
Would yall say Havard E-School is just for folks doing the prereqs or for people doing upper level sciences only. Also if someone is applying now..what is the procedure..do you just do the E-school app adn then wait until Fall to apply to the Health Careers Program for sponsorship? I can't quite figurte out how the application process works from the website. Also what is this fee? Can I email the director to find out more information?

Anyone can take classes at HES. It's open enrollment.
There's also the Health Careers Program. Here's a pdf of the application to HCP:
http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2004-05/ext04hcp.pdf
From what I've heard, the application is just a means of collecting $100 bucks. They are unlikely to actually reject anyone, but may counsel you that it might be difficult to succeed in the program or get into medical school if your GPA is super low. The best thing about the app, in my opinion, no letters of rec! (I personally hate asking for these).
If you haven't taken any med school pre-reqs, you're eligible for a Diploma in Pre-Medical Studies. You can check this off on the application if you're interested.
From my understanding, HES is filled with people doing all different things: people changing careers or recent grads with BAs in liberal arts who are taking all the med school pre-reqs and getting the diploma, people just needing a few science classes, people taking science classes to improve their GPA, and people taking upper level science classes to be more competitive for med school/ show they can do well in upper level coursework. There's a lot of info on HES on the Official HES 2004 site, which is buried somewhere on the back of the board right now. Definitely check that out.
There are other people on the board who can post more authoritative info. I'm not at HES, but have looked into it and seriously considered doing it, but I'm just not sure it's right for me.

Speaking of money, I had a very discouraging phone call with finacial aid last week. It seems that if you are a dependant that you can only get ~ $2, 700 per semester? But, if you are independant then you can get ~$5,000 per semester..including the summer??

I am sooo confused now. After reading some of the other posts related to this topic, I was under the assumption that there was a higher amount for loans for this for the year? Can anyone offer some number assistance?

Discouraged :(

Exigente

Are you asking about federal loans only or loans in general?

Hi guys,

I'm a 3rd Sinai med student who did the Harvard post-bac (non-diploma) program. I went to Cornell U but had a lousy science GPA so I stopped taking premed classes after soph year built up my GPA, graduated early and started the post-bac program in the Spring. I chose it because of low cost, name recognition, flexibility and other personal reasons. I ended up retaking bio and physics I. and completed the other premed requirements over 2 years part time while working. I also took a bunch of upper level sci classes to show that I could handle the academic content. Because summer tuition is sky high I ended up taking inorganic at U Mass for a fraction of the costs (I had about 5 different college transcripts on my AMCAS apps - med schools could care less). Overally my experience was very positive - faculty were great and the student body supportive and not in the least cut-throat. I wasn't in the diploma program but I got my committee letter from Harvard (I think there's a $500 fee for that). In terms of the following:

Employment: Harvard U has an employment website that offers community jobs including tutoring, etc. Also check out temp agencies - during my last semester I temped FT and did the postbac FT - the latter are good opportunities because you can specify when you can work. I grabbed an administrative spot at a pharmaceutical company who offered me a research position after the post-bac.

Housing: My first semester I couldn't find housing at all - luckily, the Harvard Law School had an opening and was willing to rent it out to me the f irst semester. Check the online Boston Globe newspaper for housing. ALso, if you're just looking for a room to stay in (what I did my last semester) check out Caritas Communities. They have several nice houses in Cambridge, Boston and Allson where you can rent a room by week/month. The kitchen/bathroom are usually shared facilities. I'm a female and never felt threatened or uncomfortable.

Overall advice: make sure you get to know Dr. Fixsen (great guy!) and meet Dr. Peterson at least once. Start saving for your AMCAS apps - yes financial aid is offered but is kind of limited. I think i got a loan for like $1500 - I had a pal who took out about $15000 in private loans and is now regretting it. Boston is expensive but you can live cheaply - it's just for a couple of years anyway. If you can and/or are interested brigham's and children's hospital offers several volunteer research programs. It's a good way to explore research and given that it's volunteer your hours are flexible. Most all of the hospitals in Boston are top-notch, so a reccomendation from someone there can only help you. I volunteered maybe 5 hours/week and the PI offered to pay me - it was a good learning experience and helped land me a FT research job in NYC during the year I was applying to med school

If you have any further questions - feel free to email me. Good luck!

Does anyone know if taking upper level classes at HES help get you into med school? I already have the pre-reqs and did ok in them, mostly B's. I was a chem major so I got tons of upper lever classes in chem too. My science GPA is 2.81 so I deffinitely need to up it to stand a chance. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks. Oh and if you reccommend any classes to take, please include those too.

PineappleGirl said:
Hi HES people,

I'm considering a class or two at the extension school in September. I was wondering how helpful their financial aid office is for people who are not in the certificate program. Would they even talk to me? I'd like to speak with someone about getting some private loans, likely Teri or CitiAsssit and really need some help in figuring out how to go about things. I'm worried if I could even get very much since I would like to take loans to support myself enitrely without working so as just to be able to focus on the classes.

Any input much appreciated.

Did you ever get any information on this subject?

Exigente

Thanks for the info Jays, I'll check it out...

jays2cool4u said:
There is a thread in the post-bac forum titled Boston Living that can give you a one-dimensional view of the Boston Metro area.

After checking the Harvard employment website...I am wondering how people choose NOT to work FT at harvard and take classes. Apparently part of the fringe benefits include only paying 40/class at HES WOW!

I am very interested in pursuing this route to boost my GPA...I have already taken all the prereqs as mentioned before. But, I have never not worked even since college and I have a child, I am wondering how I might survive (daycare etc) without a suitable job. this seems ideal. I would only take upper level science courses...what do people think?

SP98

Hey everyone, I'm sending in my Harvard Extension School application tomorrow and am getting pumped up to move up there this fall, regardless of the admissions decision. And thanks to all who posted in last year's thread and this new one.

I do have a couple questions for y'all if anyone has any thoughts. I have read that it's not too difficult to be admitted to the program, but the science/non-science GPA question makes me worried. I have an overall 3.2 GPA, but the only two science courses I took in undergrad (calc and meteorology) are both 2.0's. So basically I figure that with 32 credits at Harvard I can easily improve on the 2.0 for 8 credits at a previous institution I took 10 years ago.

Second, does anyone have any recommendations for a good math review book/course? I was looking through the syllabi for the physics and chem and saw the math required. I feel confident on my algebra, but my trig skills could use some serious review.

I know the 2.0 in calc makes me look like a math dummy, but I was in the "I'm going to law school and don't care" attitude. Oh how wrong I was!

Anywho...looking forward to meeting you guys this fall! Oh yeah, if anyone is looking to move out in August or needs a roommate, PM me. Never too early to nail something down.

booradley:

Congratulations on choosing HES. I found out a few days ago that my application has been accepted. So I will be moving out in the fall -- from Atlanta, GA. I'm looking a roommate situation too.

Regarding Mathematics, the HES Physics site has an excellent math review document. It doesn't really teach you math, but will help you identify what you have forgotten/don't understand. Go to: http://courses.dce.harvard.edu/~physe1b/ and then choose Math Review on the Left.

Where are you moving from?

Jon

booradley5 said:
Hey everyone, I'm sending in my Harvard Extension School application tomorrow and am getting pumped up to move up there this fall, regardless of the admissions decision. And thanks to all who posted in last year's thread and this new one.

I do have a couple questions for y'all if anyone has any thoughts. I have read that it's not too difficult to be admitted to the program, but the science/non-science GPA question makes me worried. I have an overall 3.2 GPA, but the only two science courses I took in undergrad (calc and meteorology) are both 2.0's. So basically I figure that with 32 credits at Harvard I can easily improve on the 2.0 for 8 credits at a previous institution I took 10 years ago.

Second, does anyone have any recommendations for a good math review book/course? I was looking through the syllabi for the physics and chem and saw the math required. I feel confident on my algebra, but my trig skills could use some serious review.

I know the 2.0 in calc makes me look like a math dummy, but I was in the "I'm going to law school and don't care" attitude. Oh how wrong I was!

Anywho...looking forward to meeting you guys this fall! Oh yeah, if anyone is looking to move out in August or needs a roommate, PM me. Never too early to nail something down.

booradley5 said:

Congrats! I'm also looking for a roomie for Aug. PM me sometime.

If you go to the extension school website and look under the course syllibi for physics/chemistry you can follow the link to each individual courses' website. There, you can download pdf's of math practice problems, etc. I believe one of them makes reference to helpful supplement books, etc.

Post-baccers often have interesting stories of how they decided to enter the field of medicine. Those of you who will be studying pre-med at HES this fall, why don't you go ahead and tell yours :rolleyes: This'll be a fun way to learn a little more about the people we'll be working with.

1. Personal background
2. Previous Career/student history
3. The Epiphany: what changed your thinking and your career path?

----
Here goes:

1. Personal background
Grew up in South Africa, and worked my way around the world (Israel, England, and Atlanta, GA). I'm 29: way too old to be considering a career in medicine. But then I was always a little 'original'.

Worked my way correspondence through a degree in computer science. By day I work as a software engineer.

Okay, so this will NEVER make its way onto an AMCAS form: I dated a girl who was a resident physician. I realized I was more jealous of her career than of the relationship. Not having studied any life science classes, I went out and bought an Anatomy Coloring Book. Since then I've taken Calc and Lit classes locally, and volunteer Fridays in Transportation at a local hospital.

Jon

Thanks, Jon. Congrats on getting into the program. I'm coming from Washington, DC, but my mother lives in Revere so I am not a complete stranger to the Boston area.

I took a look at that physics math review and I was cruising through it until I hit the trig section. I remember doing that stuff in high school, but never having a practical use for it in the 11 years since I feel like I may be starting at the beginning. I recently took the GRE and did well on the math section so I am confident I can relearn this stuff. Is there a Trig for Dummies book? :idea:

Any of you guys taking physics now at HES have some comments on how important the math is and how you prepared?

jonathani1 said:
booradley:

Congratulations on choosing HES. I found out a few days ago that my application has been accepted. So I will be moving out in the fall -- from Atlanta, GA. I'm looking a roommate situation too.

Regarding Mathematics, the HES Physics site has an excellent math review document. It doesn't really teach you math, but will help you identify what you have forgotten/don't understand. Go to: http://courses.dce.harvard.edu/~physe1b/ and then choose Math Review on the Left.

Where are you moving from?

Jon

booradley5 said:
Thanks, Jon. Congrats on getting into the program. I'm coming from Washington, DC, but my mother lives in Revere so I am not a complete stranger to the Boston area.

I took a look at that physics math review and I was cruising through it until I hit the trig section. I remember doing that stuff in high school, but never having a practical use for it in the 11 years since I feel like I may be starting at the beginning. I recently took the GRE and did well on the math section so I am confident I can relearn this stuff. Is there a Trig for Dummies book? :idea:

Any of you guys taking physics now at HES have some comments on how important the math is and how you prepared?

There is a series of books called "(insert subject X) Demystified", I have the Physics book and I like the outline. I know they have one for trig and almost every other science/math course. You can find them relatively cheap at ebay or amazon.

While I'm still procrastinating at work on SDN, I'll take the challenge...

1. Personal background
27 years old, grew up in Kansas, went to undergrad at Michigan State (Final Four, baby!!), and family lives around Boston. Been living in Washington, DC for 5 years.
Work in DC as a lobbyist at a law firm representing various medical specialty societies to Congress/CMS. Used to work on Capitol Hill for three members of Congress as a health care LA. My major in undergrad was Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy.
I was always drawn to medicine, but the political bug got me first. But working in Congress allowed me the opportunity to get back into health care and shadow docs. However, the epiphany occured one day in early 2001 when my boss, Congressman Sanders, aksed me after an event in which I apparently was a little too animated in my discussions with the doctors on staff at a Vermont hospital, “Dustin, do you want to be a doctor or a Congressional staffer?” He had a point. Then a friend of mine who was going to med school let me come visit last year and see what it was really like--good and bad--and it solidified my decision.

-Dustin

Oh, Sundarban...thanks for the trig book tip. Will check it out.

Nice to see some new people who will be attending HES in the fall! :thumbup: Has anyone noticed that a lot of people who posted early on in the 2004 HES thread aren't around anymore? Hopefully this won't be the case for us 2005 HES regulars.

I'll be needing roommates too, in case anyone's interested.

Also, does anyone know what they'll be taking outside of the core pre-med classes, if anything? I'll need two English classes and some extra science courses eventually, and am curious as to what others will be signing up for outside of the usual bio, chem, and physics.

sidewalkman said:
Also, does anyone know what they'll be taking outside of the core pre-med classes, if anything? I'll need two English classes and some extra science courses eventually, and am curious as to what others will be signing up for outside of the usual bio, chem, and physics.

I'm finishing up my year of English this summer. Since I have a year of math (Precalc, calc I), I wasn't planning on taking extra classes. Is there an advantage (or need) to do so?

sidewalkman said:
Nice to see some new people who will be attending HES in the fall! :thumbup: Has anyone noticed that a lot of people who posted early on in the 2004 HES thread aren't around anymore? Hopefully this won't be the case for us 2005 HES regulars.

I'll be needing roommates too, in case anyone's interested.

I plan on doing the usual schedule of Physics/Chem in the first year, Bio/OChem in the second. I am contemplating biochem in the glide year. Any thoughts on adding statistics?

I know I've been lurking around here for about 6 months and now that my decision to go to HES is set, I plan to be more active on the boards. I hope not to be one of those that drops off the face of the earth.

sidewalkman said:

I'll be taking A&P I&II the first year and pre-calc and HIV/AIDS druing the summer in addition to the standard pre-med classes. Has anyone starting this fall given thought to the fact that in 2007 the test will be computerized with a planned 20 testing dates? I think this *should come in handy for those like myself taking OChem and Bio the second semester of year 2 as there could be a May/June testing date that would allow you to at least finish the classes before taking the exam. Any thought?..

jonathani1 said:
I'm finishing up my year of English this summer. Since I have a year of math (Precalc, calc I), I wasn't planning on taking extra classes. Is there an advantage (or need) to do so?

An advantage to taking extra classes? Some people need extra classes in addition to the standard pre-med classes to raise their GPA into competative ranges for the school(s) for which they plan to apply. Others simply want to have advanced sciences under their belt for their application, or that may be useful for the MCAT (e.g. Genetics, Immuno., Biochem, etc.)

Hey twicetenturns or anyone else who attended HES...

So I can get a job scrubbing in the OR at B & W, Beth Isreal or Children's and they will pay for some of the classes I take at HES?? Cool..

How much did they cover for you?

Did you take any upper level science courses?

Agape