Official: Harvard 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey where do these students get in? what's their acceptance rate? i find it fishy that nothing concrete is posted... specifics please

Members don't see this ad.

darlingjames said:
hey where do these students get in? what's their acceptance rate? i find it fishy that nothing concrete is posted... specifics please

If you go back through this thread and in the 2004 thread along with many other posts that come up under a HES search, you will see that this subject has been discussed a lot.

In a nutshell, about 90%+ of those get in who complete the program and get a sponsorship.

It's getting that sponsorship that's the tough part. A fair amount of people don't make it. If I recall correctly, some have said that at the beginning of the first year about 200 start. About a 100 are left after year one and about 50 or so are left at the end who earned at least a 3.0 in the program and a 30+ on the MCAT and then were deemed to be worthy by Dr. Fixsen et al and got sponsored. It's that subset that has good acceptance rates. Of course, though, those people are not likley to get sponsored if they didn't do so well to begin with.

As for where, you'll have to PM those who have gone through the program and are weighing acceptances now. You'll find them by looking through the threads.

I know it's somewhat of a long shot for me, but I know that I have it in me to do really well, get good grades, and work 110% toward my goal. If I can hack it and get sponsored, then I stand a great chance of acceptance. If I don't, then I don't and I have to work that much harder or give up. Other programs that claim to have high acceptance also screen out the academically marginal people like me who don't have a great track record. It's much more of a free market post-bacc it seems.

As a caveat to the above post: Just because you do not get sponsored does not mean you cannot get letters from your professors. Your professors are allowed to write you individual letters for your application. So, all is not lost if you do not meet sponsorship goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've never heard of/ actually known of anyone being rejected for sponsorship have you

Thanks, totally didn't mention that.

As for whether anyone has been rejected from sponsorship, I cannot speak authoritatively since I don't know for sure, but I would have to say the following: Has someone been rejected for sponsorship? Almost certainly yes. Has someone not gotten sponsored and gotten in to med school? Probably. It's just that the stats (however sketchy they may be) are only available for those who get sponsored b/c the HCP is in contact with them.

What's your situation? If you tell us some more maybe we can help you ascertain what program is best for you. There's no shortage of resrouces on this board for all programs you're interested in.

--Sorry for being so post-happy today, I think maybe someone slipped me an adderall at work. must separate from keyboard now. :laugh:

booradley5 said:
As for whether anyone has been rejected from sponsorship, I cannot speak authoritatively since I don't know for sure, but I would have to say the following: Has someone been rejected for sponsorship? Almost certainly yes. Has someone not gotten sponsored and gotten in to med school? Probably.

Sponsorship is determined by fixed criterial listed in the HES handbook, and I believe is very rigidly enforced. Anyone who doesn't get the listed grades and MCAT score doesn't get sponsorship, and I'm sure there are a number of such folks each year. I believe such people can retake courses or MCAT and try to get sponsorship the following year. The school reportedly also offers a for fee dossier service to send out your LORs (without a sponsorship letter) if you don't get sponsorship but still want to apply. Some people do, in fact, get in via this route (especially those with higher GPAs and very close to the required MCAT), but the odds are certainly much better with sponsorship. (Additionally, if one applies to the same schools without sponsorship as those classmates who do have sponsorship, I would think it is going to be blatently noticeable to adcoms).

Bump..

Has anyone visited the Harvard Extension Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Society homepage?
http://people.dce.harvard.edu/~hepps/

Seems like a good resource for non-traditional pre-meds to join and make contacts. What do ya think?

Hi! I was recently accepted into the Health Careers Program and am looking forward to moving to Boston. I had one question- would I be eligible for the diploma in pre medical studies, if I took Anatomy and Phsyiology one and two as an undergrad? I'm not enitrely sure if it counts as the pre med requirement.... any idea who I could ask at HES? thanks!

Love2Learn said:
Hi! I was recently accepted into the Health Careers Program and am looking forward to moving to Boston. I had one question- would I be eligible for the diploma in pre medical studies, if I took Anatomy and Phsyiology one and two as an undergrad? I'm not enitrely sure if it counts as the pre med requirement.... any idea who I could ask at HES? thanks!

You would be eligible. It is only the big four you cannot have previously taken: Bio, Inorganic Chem, Organic Chem, and Physics. It is to your advantage to be in the Diploma program.

The Program Director, Dr. Fixsen, is very good about replying to specific program questions should you have any.

Email him at: [email protected]

122 said:
You would be eligible. It is only the big four you cannot have previously taken: Bio, Inorganic Chem, Organic Chem, and Physics. It is to your advantage to be in the Diploma program.

The Program Director, Dr. Fixsen, is very good about replying to specific program questions should you have any.

Email him at: [email protected]

Thanks! That was a big help. Anyone need roomates in Boston for the fall?

I haven't actually applied yet, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm just waiting until I finish up a math class I'm taking at HES in two weeks, then I'll mail out the app. Either way, I'll be there this fall.

As for the living situation, I'm not entirely sure at this point. I'm trying to find a job doing research, but right now I work for the city of Boston, which means that I have to live in Boston, and I've decided that going between Harvard and JP just isn't worth it, since it takes about an hour after a 9 o'clock class, even though I love my neighborhood of 4 years. Besides, since I have to work, I figure it should be something that is more relevant, not to mention interesting.

My question is this: should I check off the diploma box on the app, as I've taken chem1 (w/o lab) and phys1 (w/lab), but that was 6 years ago?

jamesrd said:
My question is this: should I check off the diploma box on the app, as I've taken chem1 (w/o lab) and phys1 (w/lab), but that was 6 years ago?

Since you've taken physics with a lab you are not eligible for the diploma program, despite the fact it was 6 years ago.

I figured as much, oh well. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Love2Learn said:
Thanks! That was a big help. Anyone need roomates in Boston for the fall?

I may be looking for roommates. So far I've been looking on Craigslist for shared rooms with other graduate students, but it'd be nice to room with people in the HCP program!

Also, here's some information on applying for Financial Aid if anyone needs it:

Below are the instructions for applying for the 2005-2006 year. You have not missed our deadline for federal aid, which is July 1, 2005. As a Health Careers Candidate you are independent if you are or will be 24 year old by December 31, 2005. Independent students do not need to submit parent information.

The first step in the application process is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may submit the 2005-2006 FAFSA or Federal Renewal electronically at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. In Step Six, be sure to list Harvard Extension School – federal school code E00209.

Once we have received your FAFSA data from the Federal processor, you will receive instructions from the College Board’s Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC) on how to submit signed copies of your 2004 US Income Tax returns and supporting documentation. If you did not file and are not required to file a Federal tax return you must file a Non-Filer/Income Clarification Statement. In addition to submitting your federal tax returns (or Non-Filer Statement), you must file a financial aid General Information. You will find our forms on the IDOC Sign-In page, under "Institution Specific Documents" on the IDOC website (http://idoc.collegeboard.com). If you have difficulty accessing the site or finding the form/s, please call us.

Once IDOC has scanned your documents they will then be forwarded to our office for review. Students whose applications are filed by the priority deadline of July 1 can expect to receive an award letter after August 1 -- applications are reviewed in the order in which they are recieved.

Thank you.

Financial Aid
Harvard Extension School

I was up in Boston this weekend to scope things out a little and settle on the housing situation. I also met Dr. Fixsen and Owen Peterson. Great guys! :)

One thing I'm a little worried about is the commuting situation. If anyone has any advice they'd like to share, here's my sitch.

I settled on a place up in Salem. Great place, good price, nice community, lots of space, etc... The commuter train is convenient and, if all works as advertised, would be about 1:20-1:30 minutes and some nice study time. Driving, on the other hand, is about 45 minutes with no traffic. I timed it at just under an hour in Thursday and Friday 4:00pm traffic. But the parking situation is what I'm curious about. Extension school students can get a pass for the evenings for @$200 for the year. But I have no idea where these garages are and if the first-come-first-serve nature of the passes will relegate me to the boonies and a significant walk to the Science center.

What do you think? Parking and/or commuter rail?

booradley5 said:
What do you think? Parking and/or commuter rail?

Commuter. Traffic is so unpredictable, the last thing you want is to be late to class/exam because of stupid traffic! At least mass transit is a bit more predictable and more importantly on time. I would give up the difference in times knowing the commuter rail would be more consistant.

Just my opinion. I'm still looking for a JOB, might be up there next weekend. If anyone is looking for a roomie let me know!

Sundarban1 said:
At least mass transit is a bit more predictable and more importantly on time.

HA! I love comedy.

Jays2cool4u :cool:

(...reposting this in the right forum :)

hi everyone!

I'm so glad I found this site... what an awesome resource for us doctor wannabes!

a little background on me: I'm 24, female, hold a BFA in film production from one of those prestigious private universities, and... I want to be a doctor. The decision's been a long time coming, but by the time I really knew what I wanted, it was just more practical to finish up my undergrad and move on from there.

I now live in Boston and work full-time as a TV producer for a local news affiliate. I like my job okay, and it pays decently, but it definitely is not what I want for the rest of my life.

I have no undergrad math or science, so I'm looking into taking all the prereqs through the Harvard Extension program over the next two years (ideally, I would take the MCATs and apply to schools in the spring of 2007, and enter in the fall of 2008.)

What I'd like to know from those of you who have been through or who are at the HES program --

is it possible for me to enter the HES program this fall and, over the next two years, take all the pre-med requirements at night while working my 9-5 job? I'm not asking you if it is psychologically or emotionally possible - obviously only I can answer that for myself - but is it - physically and scheduling-wise - possible to do that?

any other thoughts or reflections on working full-time while in a post-bacc program?

looking forward to chatting with you all!

take care,

happy_pirate

also, updated based on the couple of replies I've gotten: I am seriously thinking about taking a calc class this summer... I mean, there's a million places to take them in Boston and they're not too pricey. I took AP Calc BC my last year of high school (1999), and though I don't remember much of it off the top of my head, a lot comes back to me when I look through a calc textbook. I still want to take a class, though, especially before taking physics and chem...

happy_pirate, welcome to the thread. Good to have you. Thanks for the clarification on your math status. I take it that your AP credit got you out of the college math classes. Lucky!

Since you are going to be totally new to all the pre-reqs, you'll be eligible for the diploma program and be able to get all of the extra bene's associated with the program other extension school students don't get.

If you're serious about starting this fall, I'd say go ahead and send in the application. It doesn't require letters of rec, so you can pull it together pretty quick.

When you get a sec, I'm sure others on here, including myself, would love to hear how you came to the decision to become a doc. Everyone on here has a great background and TV producer to MD sounds like an interesting story to add to the mix.

bstone said:
I took Bio E1a and E1b taught by Dr Fixsen and Chem E1a and E1b taught by Dr Tucci/Logan McCarty. In my view this is the way you should do your first year

Thank you for posting your thoughts and good luck on your finals!

However, when I attended the HES information session I remember Dr. Fixsen specifically saying he recommended taking Chem/Physics year one and Bio/Ochem year two as his bio class deals heavily in molecular biology/chemistry, and not any other combination. His schedule also makes sense as that is how the physical and biological sections are divided on the MCAT. Therefore, for someone like me who has not completed any of the pre-reqs, if I wanted to study for the physical sciences section over the summer after the first year, according to your schedule that would not be possible. Do you have any insight as to how your recommeded schedule might be an advantage?

Hey all, I've just stumbled across this site and I've been diligently reading everyone's post. I really appreciate the opportunity to talk with like-minded people; going through the first postbac steps can seem like a very long, lonely time. But I digress.

About me: 24 year old male, graduated in 2002 from NYU with a major in comp sci and a 3.81 GPA, and elected Phi Beta Kappa. Since school I've been avoiding any sort of computer-centric job - I've been travelling around and working menial jobs. This experience has afforded me a degree of clarity. I know I'll never be fulfilled as a programmer. My move to medicine is not capricious; I've always wanted to be a doctor, like my father, but we had a falling out years back, and I didn't pursue medicine in college for all the wrong reasons.

So I'm applying to some postbac programs. I've already got 1 semester inorganic chem (no lab though), loads of physics (my minor), and 3 semesters of calculus. Right now I'm working as a medical assistant (lucky break) at a busy pain management practice, and I've got work lined up as a software trainer at the local hospital, helping doctors and nurses troubleshoot their medical software.

That's my history, so to speak. I'd like to know if (1) I stand a chance of getting in and (more importantly) succeeding at Harvard ES, and (2) whether it's truly worth the money. I'm already carting some substantial debt, and the burden of the postbac is going to fall directly on my shoulders. How does the financial aid size up at HES, and is it significantly easier to get into medical school with Harvard behind you, as opposed to, say Hunter City College in NYC - which would be ~$2000/year for me? I'm also looking at Columbia's postbac, but my concerns are much the same.

I must also admit that just the name, Harvard, strikes a sort of irrational fear and awe into me. I'm trying to keep a level head and not go to Harvard just because, well, it's "Harvard." Was anyone else intimidated before they attended HES?

Thanks for any insight-
ixne in NYC

Ixne,
If you're planning on working while you attend HES, you might look into getting a job at Harvard. They've got an awesome Tuition Assistance Plan for those who work at least 17.5 hours a week. Not only would you be bringing home a steady income, but you'd be able to take HES classes for $40 a pop. Just a suggestion ...

Good luck :)

Ixne, it's not really that difficult to get into the HES formal program, as some of the other posts attest. You'll be fine as far as getting in. Same goes for Columbia and some of the other 'big name' programs - easy to get into, but the classes are very rigorous. I see no reason why you wouldn't succeed in any post-bacc.

Your GPA is great, therefore I would also consider a formal program that offers a linkage. Your stats and past experience would make you a very attractive candidate for schools in the Bryn Mawr/Goucher vein. Only you can weigh your individual 'debt vs. extra year of physican's salary' issue, though. Then there's the factor of moving, and being forced to find new housing, a new job, etc. Another option to consider is a good state school's postbac such as Stony Brook, which is also cheap. IMO, I'd put a program in NYC like Stony Brook's ahead of HES in your situation given that you seem pretty entrenched in NYC and don't want to spend a lot.

Some info from Owen Peterson, in case anyone is interested. :oops:

Either Dr. Fixsen or I would be happy to talk with you before
registration. *Meanwhile, let me say that we are of two minds about
whether people should re-take the standard premed sciences if their grades
were low the first time through. *Finally it is a matter of what the
student is motivated to do. *If you hate the idea of the low grades
remaining on your transcript unanswered, then you should retake the
courses. *If you hate the idea of replowing the old ground, then you
should go ahead and do advanced elective courses instead. * One way is not
markedly better than the other, and both of course are inferior to doing
well in the standard premed sciences the first time through. *

Two courses per term (8 credits) is the normal load, but we don't insist
on any particular number.

We will have an orientation next September. *The exact date will be in the
2005-2006 catalogue, which comes out in the beginning of August.

With best wishes,
Owen Peterson
Assistant Director
Health Careers Program

Has anyone found the link for last year's version of this thread? Would you please post it? Thanks!

Hello all!

I've been a "lurker" on SDN for a couple months now. Just got my HES acceptance letter (in a speedy 1 week, as everyone else seems to have had). I'm so thankful this resource exists. It's nice to hear everyone's experiences and get support.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 24, 2003 grad of the University of Michigan with an undergrad in Econ and Spanish Lit... mediocre GPA (3.0) and one science class (Intro Bio) which I did craptastically in -- a lovely c+ to be exact, but I wasn't focused, and it was my first "hard" class freshman year, first semester. :eek:

Undergrad was dilly-dally time for me :sleep: , and I went through a lot of personal probs. The ridiculously bad job market in 03 sent me to trade school for auto mechanics for a year, which I might add, was an amazingly fun year and respite from real life. Then I worked in a high pressure finance job in NYC long enough to know I hated it. I ended up in this internship program in Boston where I've been working at one of the 26 local Community Health Centers for 6 months now. I'll be done in Sept. when my HES classes start. Getting pumped to start!!

My initial intent was to go for an MPH with my economics / policy analysis background, but I figure why limit myself? I enjoyed my (limited) contact with patients enough that I feel like I have the capacity to become a good clinician. What's stopping us, honestly?

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself to this group, and I really look forward to starting classes. So who will be joining me this fall in Chem and Physics? :D

Prav

prav said:
Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself to this group, and I really look forward to starting classes. So who will be joining me this fall in Chem and Physics? :D
Prav

Welcome!

I will be in Chem/Physics I come this fall also.

:luck:

prav said:

Prav

Welcome, Prav. I'm in Chem/Physics as well. Hope you can tolerate having a MSU Spartan as a fellow classmate. :laugh:

-Dustin

I am starting this summer with Calculus, but will also be taking Chem/Physics the ensuing fall. For those who have taken Calculus, what advice/input can you offer? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I just returned home yesterday from Cambridge. I was there this past weekend searching for housing. What a miserably cold/rainy weekend it was to be searching for an apartment. The search was well worth it as my roommates and I found a nice place to live.

I look forward to meeting everyone. I am very excited to begin the program.

booradley5 said:
Welcome, Prav. I'm in Chem/Physics as well. Hope you can tolerate having a MSU Spartan as a fellow classmate. :laugh:

-Dustin

Hi Dustin,

I'm sure we'll get along great, as I was pretty anti-UM when I was there. :laugh:

Prav

BobLJ99 said:
I am starting this summer with Calculus, but will also be taking Chem/Physics the ensuing fall.

I'm taing *pre-calculus this summer. Did you have to take the placement test for regular calculus? If so, how was it??

prav said:
Hi Dustin,

I'm sure we'll get along great, as I was pretty anti-UM when I was there. :laugh:

Prav

That's rather unusual, but I'm not complaining. At least I won't have to hear about it when UM (most likely) kills MSU this fall.

Are you from Michigan then?

Are you from Michigan then?

Yep, born and raised in Ann Arbor. Maybe that's why I have a distaste for UM football, because it always meant a day of horrendous traffic, litter everywhere, and zero parking. :)

Where're you from?

I plan on taking the placement test in about a week, so I will keep you posted how that pans out. I have been reviewing pre-calculus on my own through a review book that I purchased. To be honest, I was very surprised at how quickly the material came back to me since I have not taken a math class since high school. In any event, reviewing pre-calc on your own or taking a class is a great way to reintroduce yourself to what you will see in Chem and Physics. Are you taking pre-calc at Harvard?

Sundarban1 said:
I'm taing *pre-calculus this summer. Did you have to take the placement test for regular calculus? If so, how was it??

BobLJ99 said:
Are you taking pre-calc at Harvard?

Right, starting June 27th I believe. I am hoping it will be a good prep for chem/physics. I know you can take the placement test up to 3 times, and I *think it is not timed, but I'm not sure.

Good luck!

:luck:

Hi.

Just Joined the forum. However, have been here from time to time since September '04. I just finished my first year of HEP. Is anyone on this site thinking about taking an advanced level bio course over the summer. I'm thinking aout taking 2,
1. Biol 100 -Biochem
2. Biol 110 - Mol. Bio

Is anyone else thinking aout taking these courses, and does anyone have any info regarding the course (difficulty, time needed, flexibility of prof, etc. ) ?
If you do reply - so we can chat more.

Thanks Everyone.

I too will be in Beantown in the fall taking:

1. Orgo I
2. Topics in Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
3. Bio- Ia

Hope to see everyone in the fall.

Exigente :luck:

I haven't taken a math class in ~5 years, so I'm taking precalc now to brush up for chem/phys (the final is tomorrow). It's been a great help, and my prof has included quite a few physics-style problems, although they aren't (obviously) as technical. It's great for trig review though. As for the placement test, precalc required one, but our professor said it wasn't actually necessary to take it, it was more to guide the student's decision about placement. I took it all three times and the third time went from Algebra to CalcI, so go figure. It really served as a great review of algebra and basic exponential/logarithmic problems, which helped a lot in the class.

I don't know if he's teaching this summer, but if you have the opportunity to take it with Arias, do it, he's an incredible teacher.

prav said:
Yep, born and raised in Ann Arbor. Maybe that's why I have a distaste for UM football, because it always meant a day of horrendous traffic, litter everywhere, and zero parking. :)

Where're you from?

Hey, prav, sorry to be late on the reply. I was in Seattle for the American Transplant Congress and I am totally wiped out. But anyway, I living in Lansing/East Lansing for about 10 years total out of my life, 3 of which were at MSU. I hear your pain about the football situation. I did one fall on tailgaiting cleanup duty. That sucked, big time. It's amazing how much you get desensitized to vomit, though. I hope that will serve me well someday.

jamesrd said:
I haven't taken a math class in ~5 years, so I'm taking precalc now to brush up for chem/phys (the final is tomorrow).

That's a brilliant idea. One of the things people have the hardest time with in chem and physics is the math and it's only algebra and trig! Nonetheless, people frequently get hung up on the math instead of on the chem or calc.

Hey,

Do any of you guys starting in the Fall of 05 have the course schedule?
I called the HES office and they said it wasn't going to be available on-line until August. Doesn't leave much time for planning, eh?

I'm just curious to see what days certain classes are offered, especially the upper level science classes like genetic or immunology.
Can anyone help me out?

hey,

is anyone willing to help out a desperate future fellow doctor???

i want to practice on old exams and practice prob for harvard extension course bio e-1a over the summer which i will take fall 05. if i had done this for chem e-1a i might not have had such a disaster!! can anyone help me to access the site if it is still up? i am so desperate i have started randomly emailing innocent people on this site.

seriously, i'm with pineapple girl with planning ahead and all. i am the least scientifically inclined girl on the planet (my chemistry lab partner dumped me - no kidding)

thanks, kimi ([email protected])

PineappleGirl said:
Hey,

I called the HES office and they said it wasn't going to be available on-line until August. Doesn't leave much time for planning, eh?

I'm just curious to see what days certain classes are offered, especially the upper level science classes like genetic or immunology.
Can anyone help me out?

to pineapple girl,

this is highly, incredibly unlikely to be of much help, but if you want i can get you (or you can prob still view online) all the course info and schedules online at the harvard extension site from this year. it's unlikely that a terrible lot of it will change, but even if it does at least you can still get a feel for how much time a course will take up and if they are inclined to have labs at exceptionally wacky hours. you could also email the profs under a fake name and see if you can get them to admit, disclose, uncover, or otherwise reveal any info about their courses for fall 05. you can also still probably view the syllabus and assingment schedules for all the fall 04 courses online. except maybe for bio. bio is evil.

good luck,
kimi

PineappleGirl said:
Hey,

Can anyone help me out?

Hi,I am Laura and I am at the moment living in Romania,but I would like very much to emigrate and apply at an American University.I was thinking of Harvard.I wonder if you may help me by filling me in with all the details of students' experiences who applied successfully for a grant during college in USA.I look forward to hearing as many details and pieces of advice as possible.

Lauricigabi said:
Hi,I am Laura and I am at the moment living in Romania,but I would like very much to emigrate and apply at an American University.I was thinking of Harvard.I wonder if you may help me by filling me in with all the details of students' experiences who applied successfully for a grant during college in USA.I look forward to hearing as many details and pieces of advice as possible.

Hi Laura,

This website is for students who want to go to medical school, not college. All of the people who go to medical school have already gone to college. The topic being discussed here is about a program at Harvard where students who have already gone to college can attend to help them increase their chances of being accepted to medical school.

If you want information about going to college (undergraduate level), you should try a different website, or contact the college directly. In case you did not know, Harvard is probably the most difficult college to get into in the entire country.

(by the way, if this is a troll posting, you suck)

Bump...carry on...

Sundarban1 said:
Bump...carry on...

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Massachusetts. :p

Really.

booradley5 said:
I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Massachusetts. :p

Really.

Right, thats why I'm SELLING my car before I move. The insurance will cost more than my car payments monthly.
:thumbdown:

Sundarban1 said:
Right, thats why I'm SELLING my car before I move. The insurance will cost more than my car payments monthly.
:thumbdown:
Really, my premium went down by about 30% when I switched from Northern VA to Mass. Less than a $100 a month now for great coverage on a one year old car. I don't know how or why, but I am not complaining. I got it through AAA. May want to check with them.

booradley5 said:
Really, my premium went down by about 30% when I switched from Northern VA to Mass. Less than a $100 a month now for great coverage on a one year old car. I don't know how or why, but I am not complaining. I got it through AAA. May want to check with them.

Thats OK, for what its going to cost to live alone in Cambridge, I don't need any extra bills, regardless of the amount
:mad: