Official: Harvard 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
booradley5 said:
I am contemplating biochem in the glide year. Any thoughts on adding statistics?

IMO a statistics course is one of the most useful courses anyone can take. The basic principles can be applied to pretty much anything. So I am definately bullish on stats in principle. That said, I don't know what the quality of the course is at HES, and it seems like biochem is recommended more often than stats for admissions purposes.

Members don't see this ad.

sidewalkman said:
IMO a statistics course is one of the most useful courses anyone can take. The basic principles can be applied to pretty much anything. So I am definately bullish on stats in principle. That said, I don't know what the quality of the course is at HES, and it seems like biochem is recommended more often than stats for admissions purposes.

What are the prereqs for biochem? Chem (I&2)? Orgo?

Also, you guys starting in the Fall, have you already made arrangements for hospital/research work experience, or will you do so when you understand the workload?

jonathani1 said:
Also, you guys starting in the Fall, have you already made arrangements for hospital/research work experience, or will you do so when you understand the workload?

I will make arrangements when I know when my current job ends. Technically it ends in July 1, however I have to decide whether I want to leave early to take summer classes at HSS or not. If you have research experience it should not be an issue to find decent employment at one of the hospitals. For most people the limiting factor location of the job is in terms of school, cost of living, etc. From what I've read there are not a lot of people who can afford to work full-time or not work at all, making part-time jobs the most desireable, again depending on your course load.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

I found this forum recently, and just committed to starting the pre-med requirements at UMass Boston and HES. I'm taking physics at UMass this summer because it's an evening class, is near my house, and I want to dip my toes in the pool ASAP. In the fall I'll be going to HES because it's cheaper and seems like it has a slightly more organized recommendation system for folks who aren't in the certificate program (I'm not in the certificate program because I was a science major undergrad).

1. Personal background
I'm 27. I grew up on the west coast, mother still lives there. Came out to Boston for college in '94 and never left.
2. Previous Career/student history
Currently I'm working as a software engineer/architect/consultant for a small firm in Boston. I've been doing software since college, I sort of fell into it. I graduated from MIT in '98, having gotten a degree in Brain and Cognitive Sciences. I wasn't focused enough to apply to med-school then - I started college when I was 16 and was a pretty immature 16 at that, so I skipped a lot of classes and partied, with the resulting GPA. I've taken most of the med-school pre-reqs already, but I need to raise my GPA. Also UMass Medical, my first choice for financial reasons, requires that all the pre-reqs have been taken within the past 5 years when you apply, so clearly mine have all expired. That's ok though, I can use the review, that's for sure.
3. The Epiphany: what changed your thinking and your career path?
I had always wanted to be a doctor, but I was concerned about the lifestyle sacrifices it required - I worried about how a family would fit into being a doctor. That was a good enough excuse to follow the easy route back when I was young, but now I've realized, after 7 years in a field I'm uninspired by, that I've got to make those sacrifices in order to follow the only path that has ever truly interested me. I don't regret taking the time though - for me it was the only way I could be sure. I've enjoyed my post-college life so far, and am really excited about the next stage and going back to school. I certainly don't feel as though 27 is too old, I'm ready now, so it's the right age for me. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing some of you in classes in the fall! It seems like there are some pretty cool backgrounds around here.

I'm planning on taking Chem I and Bio I, what's everyone else taking?

Welcome, breeak! Good to meet another HES fall 2005 post-baccer.

I started college at 17 and I know what you are talking about in terms of immaturity. My grades totally suffered on account of the Beast and Jack Daniels. If I only knew then what I know now...but I guess I would have not become the "well rounded" individual people claim I am today. I feel that our prior experience makes us that much more committed and appreciative of the new opportunity to follow our dreams. I gotta wonder what is in the minds of people who go straight through to med school after undergrad without experiencing what life outside of medicine is like.

Are you retaking all of the prereqs or just the one's you did poorly in?

booradley5 said:
Welcome, breeak! Good to meet another HES fall 2005
post-baccer.

I started college at 17 and I know what you are talking about in terms
of immaturity. My grades totally suffered on account of the Beast and
Jack Daniels. If I only knew then what I know now...but I guess I
would have not become the "well rounded" individual people claim I am
today. I feel that our prior experience makes us that much more
committed and appreciative of the new opportunity to follow our
dreams. I gotta wonder what is in the minds of people who go straight
through to med school after undergrad without experiencing what life
outside of medicine is like.

Are you retaking all of the prereqs or just the one's you did poorly in?

Yup, I had a good time in college too. :laugh: I don't really wish
things had been different. I needed the time to grow up - who I was as
a person needed to grow to match my brain, so to speak. If I'd gone to
med school straight out of college I would have been doing it for the
wrong reasons. I completely agree that the added experience gives us
an advantage, and frankly I wouldn't want to go back and skip the
various things I've had time and $$ for the past several years - it's
been fun to live a little. On a related note, I also think in most
ways it's a bigger commitment to leave an established adult lifestyle
to go back to school, back into debt, etc, than it is to transition
from one school to another, so I don't feel like I'll have a problem
convincing an admissions commitee that I'm going to be dedicated to
the field.

UMass pre-reqs expire 5 years after taking them unless you work in the
sciences, so basically if you don't apply straight out of college,
you're going to be retaking lots of courses. I definitely want to go
to UMass, can't beat the tuition and I have friends who went there and
loved it (excepting Worcester of course). So, I will have to retake
them all, although I'm pondering taking more advanced versions rather
than run of the mill intro courses. I'm a bit undecided on that
because getting A's is the most important part and it HAS been 6 years
since I was in school.

The physics classes at UMass this summer should give me an idea of how
much catching up I have to do. I pulled out my undergrad mechanical
physics book yesterday to take a look through, and OMG, I can't
believe I knew that stuff once. The math is way out of my league at
this point, quick calc review anyone? :eek: I know you mentioned that
you feel shaky on the math, but I'm sure you can pick up the trig
pretty quickly. I used to teach Kaplan courses for the GREs and that
covers some (though not much) trig, so perhaps one of those review
books might help.

breeak said:
The physics classes at UMass this summer should give me an idea of how
much catching up I have to do. I pulled out my undergrad mechanical
physics book yesterday to take a look through, and OMG, I can't
believe I knew that stuff once. The math is way out of my league at
this point, quick calc review anyone? :eek: I know you mentioned that
you feel shaky on the math, but I'm sure you can pick up the trig
pretty quickly. I used to teach Kaplan courses for the GREs and that
covers some (though not much) trig, so perhaps one of those review
books might help.

The HES physics is not calc based, thankfully. Personally I think that doing a calc-based physics with physics majors is suicide and unnecessary for most specialties you would want to go into. Here are the websites for the HES physics http://courses.dce.harvard.edu/~physe1b/ and chem http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~cheme1a/ These have tons of detailed info on what the courses will cover.

I did a little trig review last night just to quiz myself and I think it's starting to come back. I just remember looking at it first going "radians...WTF is a radian???" Then I saw them and it came back, slowly but surely. I guess it's nothing I can't tackle by diving into a review book over the summer and working some practice questions. I did it once and I can do it again...Thanks to all for your reassurance.

Greetings and salutations! Congratulations to everyone going to HES. This is a huge commitment we are all making, but nonetheless a rewarding one.

1. Personal background

I am 24 years old and was born and raised in Oswego, New York. For those who are unfamiliar with Oswego, it is approximately 40 miles north of Syracuse.

I am currently a master’s student in a social work program. I gravitated to social work after becoming disenchanted with medicine when I lost my mother nearly 5 years ago, which was incredibly traumatic especially since I had already lost my father when I was 9. My mother’s doctors left my sister, brother, and me in the dark about her illness. I did not find out her condition was terminal until one month before she passed.

When my mom died, I was incredibly angry and as said above, disenchanted with medicine. I was in my first year of college when this all happened and as a result my grades suffered a great deal. I decided that I wanted a career in human services, thus majored in human development. I was able to finish my last three semesters of undergrad strong, but graduated with a marginal 2.8 and an abysmal science GPA (2.37). However, my saving grace is that I only took four science classes (no labs), none of which were the core prerequisites for medical school.

3. The Epiphany: what changed your thinking and your career

I was accepted to a social work program and have really excelled (3.97). Both of my internships have been in the medical field. I soon realized after beginning the program that my true calling is in medicine, but as a physician. After meeting one of my greatest mentors, who is a social worker and a physician at my school of social work, I have been discussing pursuing a medical career upon graduating with my master’s degree.

My loss experiences with my parents have motivated me to pursue a career in medicine. Attaining a master’s in social work coupled with the loss of my parents has helped me achieve great self-awareness, which I hope to bring into medicine. The reality of a physician’s strong suit not being his or her bedside manner is troubling. Of course there are exceptions to this, but the perception of doctors’ bedside manner needs mending and I hope to help in this process.

I have really enjoyed reading the diverse backgrounds of those who have posted and look forward to meeting everyone. I will be starting the HCP this summer at HSS with Chem I & II. In the fall I will take organic and bio; the following year I will take physics and calculus.

booradley5 said:
The HES physics is not calc based, thankfully. Personally I think that doing a calc-based physics with physics majors is suicide and unnecessary for most specialties you would want to go into. Here are the websites for the HES physics http://courses.dce.harvard.edu/~physe1b/ and chem http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~cheme1a/ These have tons of detailed info on what the courses will cover.

I did a little trig review last night just to quiz myself and I think it's starting to come back. I just remember looking at it first going "radians...WTF is a radian???" Then I saw them and it came back, slowly but surely. I guess it's nothing I can't tackle by diving into a review book over the summer and working some practice questions. I did it once and I can do it again...Thanks to all for your reassurance.

Yeah, I know the calc based courses aren't required...however, I don't plan on retaking the calc pre-reqs, just the science ones, and I figured because of that it would look better if I took calc based physics courses...shows I can use it, ya know? Perhaps it isn't necessary though, and it certainly would be easier to avoid it. I guess part of me can't get over the whole "can't take the easy way, they'll see through that" thing, instead of realizing it's the grades that count before all and I shouldn't take risks. I find that fact of pre-med prep rather depressing.

Good luck with your trig review. :)

BobLJ99 said:
Greetings and salutations! Congratulations to everyone going to HES. This is a huge commitment we are all making, but nonetheless a rewarding one.

1. Personal background

I am 24 years old and was born and raised in Oswego, New York. For those who are unfamiliar with Oswego, it is approximately 40 miles north of Syracuse.

I am currently a master’s student in a social work program. I gravitated to social work after becoming disenchanted with medicine when I lost my mother nearly 5 years ago, which was incredibly traumatic especially since I had already lost my father when I was 9. My mother’s doctors left my sister, brother, and me in the dark about her illness. I did not find out her condition was terminal until one month before she passed.

When my mom died, I was incredibly angry and as said above, disenchanted with medicine. I was in my first year of college when this all happened and as a result my grades suffered a great deal. I decided that I wanted a career in human services, thus majored in human development. I was able to finish my last three semesters of undergrad strong, but graduated with a marginal 2.8 and an abysmal science GPA (2.37). However, my saving grace is that I only took four science classes (no labs), none of which were the core prerequisites for medical school.

3. The Epiphany: what changed your thinking and your career

I was accepted to a social work program and have really excelled (3.97). Both of my internships have been in the medical field. I soon realized after beginning the program that my true calling is in medicine, but as a physician. After meeting one of my greatest mentors, who is a social worker and a physician at my school of social work, I have been discussing pursuing a medical career upon graduating with my master’s degree.

My loss experiences with my parents have motivated me to pursue a career in medicine. Attaining a master’s in social work coupled with the loss of my parents has helped me achieve great self-awareness, which I hope to bring into medicine. The reality of a physician’s strong suit not being his or her bedside manner is troubling. Of course there are exceptions to this, but the perception of doctors’ bedside manner needs mending and I hope to help in this process.

I have really enjoyed reading the diverse backgrounds of those who have posted and look forward to meeting everyone. I will be starting the HCP this summer at HSS with Chem I & II. In the fall I will take organic and bio; the following year I will take physics and calculus.

Hey Bob,

It sounds like you have followed a difficult, but real, path to medicine. I'm especially sorry to hear about your parents.

Congratulations on your performance in your masters program - will you be finishing it, or jumping tracks entirely?

I'll see you in Bio. :)

Thank you for your kind words.

I will be completing my master's program on April 28. I graduate one week later and have a little break to get recharged and ready for a summer of chemistry.

Bio should be a great class. From what I have heard, Dr. Fixsen's Bio class is one of the toughest in the country, but prepares you well for the MCAT. We shall soon find out.

-Rob

breeak said:
Hey Bob,

It sounds like you have followed a difficult, but real, path to medicine. I'm especially sorry to hear about your parents.

Congratulations on your performance in your masters program - will you be finishing it, or jumping tracks entirely?

I'll see you in Bio. :)

I'm starting at HES in the Fall. When should I start looking for housing? I want to get a place before they get pricey as demand increases in the fall. But most of the places on CraigsList are advertised for the summer.

Oh yeah, I live in Atlanta, so I'll be making a trip to Boston to have a look-see before then.

Any suggestions...

Congratulations on choosing to attend HES!

Regarding housing, my friend is attending the law school and his lease is up June 30, thus his new lease would likely start July 1. From what I understand, many other students have leases that begin in the summer despite not starting school until the fall. My advice is to continue checking Craigslist. Good luck with the hunt for housing.

jonathani1 said:
I'm starting at HES in the Fall. When should I start looking for housing? I want to get a place before they get pricey as demand increases in the fall. But most of the places on CraigsList are advertised for the summer.

Oh yeah, I live in Atlanta, so I'll be making a trip to Boston to have a look-see before then.

Any suggestions...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering how intense the classes are in this program. I have not taken any of my science requirements, and would love to take them at a distinguished school like Harvard, but I dont want to set my self up for failure. How much work is there a night. Will I be able to work a full time job? Thanks so much. :)

sidewalkman said:
I'll be needing roommates too, in case anyone's interested.

Also, does anyone know what they'll be taking outside of the core pre-med classes, if anything? I'll need two English classes and some extra science courses eventually, and am curious as to what others will be signing up for outside of the usual bio, chem, and physics.

I too will be attending HES not matter what in the fall..Yeah :thumbup:

Also looking for some roomates or place to live.

I am taking the basics along with non-romance language class while at HES this year. Leaning towards russian or chinese.

Exigente :luck:

Smittyballz said:
I was wondering how intense the classes are in this program. I have not taken any of my science requirements, and would love to take them at a distinguished school like Harvard, but I dont want to set my self up for failure. How much work is there a night. Will I be able to work a full time job? Thanks so much. :)

hey,
i've been taking two classes (bio and gen chem) last term and this term. i also work a full time (but very 9 to 5, not requiring extra hours) job. i will tell you that it is a lot of work. there are many students in the classes that do not work at all or only work part time, therefore having much more time to devote to their studying. if this is financially feasible for you, your academic performance would absolutely benefit. that said, it is do-able to work full time, but you won't have much of a life outside of work and school. (read: i'm at school 4 nights a week and do work on the weekends). i find that the classes i've been taking are very well taught and students are very conscientious about learning. so, in my opinion you will learn a lot, but it is not trivial to get As in these classes.

best of luck!

ltrain said:
hey,
i've been taking two classes (bio and gen chem) last term and this term. i also work a full time (but very 9 to 5, not requiring extra hours) job. i will tell you that it is a lot of work. there are many students in the classes that do not work at all or only work part time, therefore having much more time to devote to their studying. if this is financially feasible for you, your academic performance would absolutely benefit. that said, it is do-able to work full time, but you won't have much of a life outside of work and school. (read: i'm at school 4 nights a week and do work on the weekends). i find that the classes i've been taking are very well taught and students are very conscientious about learning. so, in my opinion you will learn a lot, but it is not trivial to get As in these classes.

best of luck!
Thanks so much for the info it was very helpful in making my decision. If there is anyone else who has any info it would be greatly appreciated Thanks again :thumbup:

Hi, I am a graduating senior in May and have been accepted into the program, however I have completed all of the premed prereqs and am looking to show some additional science work to boost my gpa. Is there anyone who will be enrolling in the fall who is going to follow a similar course of action? The director of the program said i may want to consider a med school like first year simulation (Drexel, BU etc) but it would certainly be much more expensive. Will the upper level science courses suit my needs? anyone else in the same boat- any thoughts would be great- take it easy

I got my welcome letter today! I'm so excited and relieved to officially be in the diploma program. Can't wait to get up there soon and get started!

Who esle here is in the Physics/Gen Chem track for the fall?

The letter came VERY fast. I Fedex'ed the appliaction on Thursday, March 31 and got the letter via snail mail on the following Wednesday. I guess for a $100 you get speedy review!

exigente chica said:
I am taking the basics along with non-romance language class while at HES this year. Leaning towards russian or chinese.

Exigente--

I took 2 years of Russian in undergrad and it totally helps out whenever I am in Boston. I don't know about Chinese immigrants, but there is a huge Russian community, mostly around Brookline if I remember correctly. However, almost wherever I go, I can hear Russian being spoken. I might even consider taking the advanced class and getting into a volunteer opportunity where I could use it again.

If you do go down that road, I'd love to practice with you if you are so inclined. Russian is so much fun, especially the poetry. If Pushkin translated well into English, I think he would be as popular as Shakespeare.

jonathani1 said:

Any suggestions...

Hi jon,

Before I share some advise for housing, I would like to took congratulate you on choosing HES. I trust you going to benefit greatly from your experience there. I took biostatistics in the spring of 2004 and found the class informative and challenging. The professor was brilliant and so were the TA (the 3! TA's were also very accesible, held weekly review sessions, and would respond to your emails and questions in record time) I was really impressed with the Harvard Extension School (excellent professors, interesting student body, extemely resourceful, and comapritively inexpensive) and am considering HES for a post-bacc pre-med program because of my previous experience with HES. maybe i'll see you there in the fall :) .

In response to your housing, i have a few suggestions. I was a real estate agent in the greater boston area for a year and a half after graduating from boston college in 2003. Most apartments with leases starting in august or september 2005 will become available to view in june. Some more will become available in july. Wait until june to have a look-see. Come June, you will have many options. The good finds will rent immediately. Just like everywhere else, the more roomates you have (group of 3 or 4), the less you will spend on individual rent for a decent apartment. Don't wait until august to rent, as you will have the worst of the lot (most probably) to choose from. It's been a renter's market in boston for the past few years. as you probably have noticed on craigslis, you should really not have to pay much (or any in some cases) of a fee if you use an agent. another good option is to look for people who have a running lease and are just looking for another roommate, this can save you a lot of costs (less common areas to furnish, no realtor fees) etc.

let me know if you have any questions. good luck with your search! enjoy the gorgeous city :)

booradley5 said:
Exigente--

If you do go down that road, I'd love to practice with you if you are so inclined. Russian is so much fun, especially the poetry. If Pushkin translated well into English, I think he would be as popular as Shakespeare.

I was not aware of the Russian population in Brookline...hmm.. If I decide to take the class I would love to practice with you.

Hey you all -- I have some housing available in Central Square (for those not too familar with the Cambridge area, Central is right next to Harvard Square) April 15th. If any of you need immediate housing, let me know. I use to take classes at HES and living in Central wasn't such a bad choice (cheaper housing, and it pretty much has everything you need).

Thanks, :cool:

Ben

I called up HCP a few weeks ago, and found out that I had been accepted for the program: they would be mailing my acceptance letter later that week. Well it didn't arrive. :mad:

I waited a month and then called today. Oops, I'm told: on closer examination, my British BS degree is not equivalent to an accepted US degree!!? :eek: On top of that HES sent me no letter of explanation or rejection. Just silence -- after I had been told I had been accepted! Heck, I even have my house on the market, so that I can move to Boston in the Fall!

The reason for rejection: my transcript contains fewer classes than the ordinary US undergrad degree. Of course a British class lasts a YEAR, not a single semester: so maybe I ended up taking MORE Major class time than my US brethren :(

When I explained this to the gentleman -- and that a US diploma comparison service had already validated that my degree is a US equivalent -- he seemed a lot more positive about it. I have to send in the comparison letter, and we'll see. Here's hoping...

One thing's for certain, I'm not going to be waiting for another non-existent letter in the mail anytime soon...

jonathani1 said:
I called up HCP a few weeks ago, and found out that I had been accepted for the program: they would be mailing my acceptance letter later that week. Well it didn't arrive. :mad:

I waited a month and then called today. Oops, I'm told: on closer examination, my British BS degree is not equivalent to an accepted US degree!!? :eek: On top of that HES sent me no letter of explanation or rejection. Just silence -- after I had been told I had been accepted! Heck, I even have my house on the market, so that I can move to Boston in the Fall!

The reason for rejection: my transcript contains fewer classes than the ordinary US undergrad degree. Of course a British class lasts a YEAR, not a single semester: so maybe I ended up taking MORE Major class time than my US brethren :(

When I explained this to the gentleman -- and that a US diploma comparison service had already validated that my degree is a US equivalent -- he seemed a lot more positive about it. I have to send in the comparison letter, and we'll see. Here's hoping...

One thing's for certain, I'm not going to be waiting for another non-existent letter in the mail anytime soon...

You don't have to be "accecpted" to take classes at the extension school. If things don't work out with the equivalency route you can still take the required courses there. However, I do hope you get things straightened out. More importantly to make sure that medical schools will see your degree as an equivalant so that you are not stuck after taking your pre-med courses. :luck:

Sundarban1 said:
You don't have to be "accecpted" to take classes at the extension school. If things don't work out with the equivalency route you can still take the required courses there. However, I do hope you get things straightened out. More importantly to make sure that medical schools will see your degree as an equivalant so that you are not stuck after taking your pre-med courses. :luck:

Good advice. Another US university to which I applied made me pay for a diploma comparison service. So I have an official letter explaining that my degree is the equivalent of a US undergrad degree.

Also, one would think, after taking the required 48 credit hours pre-med classes, that those plus my english computer studies degree should count for a minimal US degree equivalent +pissed+

I'm sending the letter and an explanation to HES tomorrow, and hopefully that will sort things out. If it doesn't, I'm going to seriously consider attending school locally.

breeak said:
Hey Everyone,

I found this forum recently, and just committed to starting the pre-med requirements at UMass Boston and HES. I'm taking physics at UMass this summer because it's an evening class, is near my house, and I want to dip my toes in the pool ASAP. In the fall I'll be going to HES because it's cheaper and seems like it has a slightly more organized recommendation system for folks who aren't in the certificate program (I'm not in the certificate program because I was a science major undergrad).

1. Personal background
I'm 27. I grew up on the west coast, mother still lives there. Came out to Boston for college in '94 and never left.
Currently I'm working as a software engineer/architect/consultant for a small firm in Boston. I've been doing software since college, I sort of fell into it. I graduated from MIT in '98, having gotten a degree in Brain and Cognitive Sciences. I wasn't focused enough to apply to med-school then - I started college when I was 16 and was a pretty immature 16 at that, so I skipped a lot of classes and partied, with the resulting GPA. I've taken most of the med-school pre-reqs already, but I need to raise my GPA. Also UMass Medical, my first choice for financial reasons, requires that all the pre-reqs have been taken within the past 5 years when you apply, so clearly mine have all expired. That's ok though, I can use the review, that's for sure.
3. The Epiphany: what changed your thinking and your career path?
I had always wanted to be a doctor, but I was concerned about the lifestyle sacrifices it required - I worried about how a family would fit into being a doctor. That was a good enough excuse to follow the easy route back when I was young, but now I've realized, after 7 years in a field I'm uninspired by, that I've got to make those sacrifices in order to follow the only path that has ever truly interested me. I don't regret taking the time though - for me it was the only way I could be sure. I've enjoyed my post-college life so far, and am really excited about the next stage and going back to school. I certainly don't feel as though 27 is too old, I'm ready now, so it's the right age for me. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing some of you in classes in the fall! It seems like there are some pretty cool backgrounds around here.

I'm planning on taking Chem I and Bio I, what's everyone else taking?

I can say that sometimes UMass Medical School makes exceptions to taking all your pre-med courses within the last few years rule.

Just send my application to HES out yesterday, awaiting the news.

exigente chica said:
Just send my application to HES out yesterday, awaiting the news.

Good luck Exigente -- that's exciting :)

jonathani1 said:
Good luck Exigente -- that's exciting :)

When you get your accecptance, make sure you explain your situation well to your family! If my father tells one more person I was accepted to Harvard I will shoot myself.
:laugh:

Harvard Extension School is a terrific terrific program and will prepare you very well to take the MCAT. I finished last May and have now completed my application cycle with results that I am ecstatic about. Other folks in my class, like TwiceTenTurns, have equally thrilling results.

However, it's very challenging. My undergraduate institution refers seniors to me who are entering this program after graduation and I give them all the same advice. In the hopes that you will benefit from this advice, I'm listing my recommendations here below:

Before each semester starts, read the first two chapters of each class's book. This will prevent you from falling behind as the semester progresses and increase your confidance level as you sit in lecture. Also do the problems
for those chapters that have answers in the back of the book (often the odd problems). It should go without saying that you should keep up with reading the book as the semester progresses.

If you are weak in math, I strongly recommend that you take a math refresher before beginning this program. There is a LOT of math in physics and chemistry, but it's all algebra and trig. don't let this prevent you from learning chem and physics.

Physics:
Wolfgang Rueckner teaches this class. The key to success here is to do your homework as soon as it's assigned (generally a week ahead of time). Find out when he's holding office hours or running the homework review and attend that. When I took it, he held the first homework review of the week so you had to be on the ball to get his help. However, he is an absolute genious at explaining things one on one. If you attend his review session having tried your best at the homework, he'll help you finish it and you'll walk out of that review totally understanding what's going on. In addition to doing all the homework problems, I did all the odd problems in the book chapters we covered. This guarenteed that I didn't gloss over some fine detail of mechanics or electromagnetism. Every time I got a problem wrong, whether for homework or the extra problems, I put a star next to it. Then, when it was time to study for the test, I simply redid all the starred problems until I could do them correctly. That was it. Dr. Rueckner was happy to go over the book problems with me when I didn't understand them also. Additionally it was easy to make office appointments to ask him questions. One thing you should know about Dr. Rueckner though is that he's a stickler for the rules. Things are due when they're due and that's it. The Extension School doesn't allow him any wiggle room with that stuff and he just sticks to it. So be on the ball.

General Chemistry:
This course is run like a well-oiled machine. You absolutely must go to lecture. The lecture notes are well organized. Succeeding in this class is totally straightforward. Read the book. Go to class. Do Logan Notes. Then do homework. Go to tutorial section. Repeat. When it comes time for the exam, repeat all the Logan Notes and redo all the homework. That's it.

Organic Chemistry:
I took this during the year. I hear summer orgo is killer. Totaly capable and hardworking students withdrew from the summer program. I don't know what it takes to succeed there. Orgo during the year was taught by two people who have since found jobs elsewhere but I believe they trained the new professor this year. Maybe someone else can comment on this? Assuming they kept the same format, it's run very much like General Chemistry--well organized slides. No homework to turn in. Quizes at the start of every class. To suceed in orgo I first read the book. Then I went to lecture where I took clear notes on the slides they handed out for class. After class I made flashcards from the lecture slides. I studied those flashcards for the quiz before the following class. I did all the required and the recommended problems in the book and that they handed out and I made sure I understood them. I starred all the problems I got wrong on the first try. When test time came around, I redid all the starred problems and memorized all my flashcards.

Biology:
In order to succeed in this class you absolutely must attend lecture. The book is helpful, but not that helpful and I actually stopped reading it midway through the second semester. This is a class where you are going to have to work together with other classmates. Make flashcards from the lecture notes and quiz each other. Fixsen LOVES multiple choice questions so make multiple choice questions for your flashcards. Before each midterm, Fixsen hands out a multi-page problem set that you don't have to turn in. It will have definitions on it. Do not sit around writing flashcards defining those terms. Just be sure that in your head you have a rough idea of what each term means. Do all the old exam questions that are on that handout and be sure you know them cold. He reuses them. Do all the additional practice problems that are related to genetics. Fixsen is a geneticist by training and will test you backwards and forwards on that material. He also does a brilliant job of teaching it and answering questions about it. Just be on the ball. Don't waste your time doing problems in the book or the workbook that comes with the book. It won't help. You have to learn his lecture material inside out. Good luck with that. My final recommendation for this class is to befriend people who've just finished his class and ask them how they succeeded. Fixsen doesn't keep a tutor list so all you've got is your classmates and those who've gone before you.

ads99 said:
Harvard Extension School is a terrific terrific program and will prepare you very well to take the MCAT. I finished last May and have now completed my application cycle with results that I am ecstatic about. Other folks in my class, like TwiceTenTurns, have equally thrilling results.

However, it's very challenging. My undergraduate institution refers seniors to me who are entering this program after graduation and I give them all the same advice. In the hopes that you will benefit from this advice, I'm listing my recommendations here below:

Before each semester starts, read the first two chapters of each class's book. This will prevent you from falling behind as the semester progresses and increase your confidance level as you sit in lecture. Also do the problems
for those chapters that have answers in the back of the book (often the odd problems). It should go without saying that you should keep up with reading the book as the semester progresses.

If you are weak in math, I strongly recommend that you take a math refresher before beginning this program. There is a LOT of math in physics and chemistry, but it's all algebra and trig. don't let this prevent you from learning chem and physics.

Physics:
Wolfgang Rueckner teaches this class. The key to success here is to do your homework as soon as it's assigned (generally a week ahead of time). Find out when he's holding office hours or running the homework review and attend that. When I took it, he held the first homework review of the week so you had to be on the ball to get his help. However, he is an absolute genious at explaining things one on one. If you attend his review session having tried your best at the homework, he'll help you finish it and you'll walk out of that review totally understanding what's going on. In addition to doing all the homework problems, I did all the odd problems in the book chapters we covered. This guarenteed that I didn't gloss over some fine detail of mechanics or electromagnetism. Every time I got a problem wrong, whether for homework or the extra problems, I put a star next to it. Then, when it was time to study for the test, I simply redid all the starred problems until I could do them correctly. That was it. Dr. Rueckner was happy to go over the book problems with me when I didn't understand them also. Additionally it was easy to make office appointments to ask him questions. One thing you should know about Dr. Rueckner though is that he's a stickler for the rules. Things are due when they're due and that's it. The Extension School doesn't allow him any wiggle room with that stuff and he just sticks to it. So be on the ball.

General Chemistry:
This course is run like a well-oiled machine. You absolutely must go to lecture. The lecture notes are well organized. Succeeding in this class is totally straightforward. Read the book. Go to class. Do Logan Notes. Then do homework. Go to tutorial section. Repeat. When it comes time for the exam, repeat all the Logan Notes and redo all the homework. That's it.

Organic Chemistry:
I took this during the year. I hear summer orgo is killer. Totaly capable and hardworking students withdrew from the summer program. I don't know what it takes to succeed there. Orgo during the year was taught by two people who have since found jobs elsewhere but I believe they trained the new professor this year. Maybe someone else can comment on this? Assuming they kept the same format, it's run very much like General Chemistry--well organized slides. No homework to turn in. Quizes at the start of every class. To suceed in orgo I first read the book. Then I went to lecture where I took clear notes on the slides they handed out for class. After class I made flashcards from the lecture slides. I studied those flashcards for the quiz before the following class. I did all the required and the recommended problems in the book and that they handed out and I made sure I understood them. I starred all the problems I got wrong on the first try. When test time came around, I redid all the starred problems and memorized all my flashcards.

Biology:
In order to succeed in this class you absolutely must attend lecture. The book is helpful, but not that helpful and I actually stopped reading it midway through the second semester. This is a class where you are going to have to work together with other classmates. Make flashcards from the lecture notes and quiz each other. Fixsen LOVES multiple choice questions so make multiple choice questions for your flashcards. Before each midterm, Fixsen hands out a multi-page problem set that you don't have to turn in. It will have definitions on it. Do not sit around writing flashcards defining those terms. Just be sure that in your head you have a rough idea of what each term means. Do all the old exam questions that are on that handout and be sure you know them cold. He reuses them. Do all the additional practice problems that are related to genetics. Fixsen is a geneticist by training and will test you backwards and forwards on that material. He also does a brilliant job of teaching it and answering questions about it. Just be on the ball. Don't waste your time doing problems in the book or the workbook that comes with the book. It won't help. You have to learn his lecture material inside out. Good luck with that. My final recommendation for this class is to befriend people who've just finished his class and ask them how they succeeded. Fixsen doesn't keep a tutor list so all you've got is your classmates and those who've gone before you.

Wow. Thanks so much for writing all of that out. :love: That is very helpful and gives me a real sense of what it's going to take to do well in the program. If you don't mind answering some more questions, here are a few that have me curious:

Aside from your particular study techniques, what do you think those who succeeded in the program did to set themselves apart from those who did not do so well?

How often did you go in for advising with Dr. Fixen?

When did you start studying for the MCAT?

Again, thank you.

-Dustin

I'd like to echo that Thank you. Your information is indeed very helpful. And firghtening in a perversely attractive way.

Thanks!

ads99 said:

Physics:

General Chemistry:

Organic Chemistry:

Biology:

Absolutely phenomenal post! I will be starting at HES this summer and also had a few extra questions for you:

I am taking General Chemistry this summer with Dr. Davis; what is your knowledge of how students handle this rigorous load in 8 weeks? You mentioned some people dropped out of summer Organic.

How many interviews and acceptances did you receive from medical schools?

During your interviews, how did these medical schools view HES?

Thanks again for your input

-Rob

Aside from your particular study techniques, what do you think those who succeeded in the program did to set themselves apart from those who did not do so well?
--They stayed on top of the reading and homework. They did their own work to learn the material. They asked questions *after* they had spent some effort on finding the answer themselves. The people who struggled the most did their homework at the last minute in groups right before it was due. Don't do this. Do your homework by yourself or you won't learn the material. Also, the people who did really well were good at making friends. That way you have someone to call when you need a question answered but no tutorial is available. Also, each class will have an online bulletin board discussion center. Post your questions and answer others' questions there. Just stay engaged with the material and your classmates.

How often did you go in for advising with Dr. Fixsen?
--Twice a year. I actually did my med school applications through my undergraduate insitution because it was nearby, free, and let me use one of my favorite undergrad professors to write my composite recommendation letter. My husband probably spoke to Dr. Fixsen and Owen once every two months, especially as application time grew nearer.

When did you start studying for the MCAT?
--In November before the April MCAT. Yes, I was taking Biology and Orgo at the same time. It all works out though. I took a Princeton Review class. I chose that company because it was the only one that offered a schedule that would work for me. I thought it was a good program but if you take it, try to buy someone else's old Kaplan MCAT flashcards off EBay or craigslist. Kaplan gives these really awesome flashcards to use for all your basic review.

I am taking General Chemistry this summer with Dr. Davis; what is your knowledge of how students handle this rigorous load in 8 weeks? You mentioned some people dropped out of summer Organic.
--I know one person who did this. I'll ask her if she has any advice. She seemed to have survived unscathed and without complaint. I don't think it's as bad as summer orgo. BUT, please PM me to talk about why you are using this strategy. I strongly recommend that you take the full two years of classes to do this and that you take all your courses during the regular school year. Anyone with questions on this should feel free to PM me. I know folks have financial constraints they're trying to meet. However, you're applying to medical school and you need to rack up research and volunteer experience. It's really hard to do that while taking these classes. I recommend that you use your summer vacation time to research and volunteer, not take classes faster.
Finally, if you must take a summer class, plan to do nothing else besides this class. No job, no other classes. Just you and that one summer science class. You might have a little extra time to eat and sleep here and there ;) Remember, you're doing two full semesters of material in 8 weeks.

How many interviews and acceptances did you receive from medical schools?
--Whoever asked me this, PM me. I'm happy to tell you, but not in a public forum. To be short and sweet about it, I did really well. Everyone I know who took this program seriously did really well in the application process. We're sending people to all kinds of awesome places.

During your interviews, how did these medical schools view HES?
--Very positively. Very very positively.

Note to all: Dr. Fixsen's name is spelled with an x and an s. I thought you should know that before you send him email :)

I'm thinking of applyign to harvard but the app doesn't ask for recommendation letters.....did you guys send then, should i send them anyway? Please i really need to know! =)

Melkorii said:
I'm thinking of applyign to harvard but the app doesn't ask for recommendation letters.....did you guys send then, should i send them anyway? Please i really need to know! =)

There is no need to send LOR's simply because they are using your acadmeic criteria mainly for their decision. For accecptance all they want to see is that you are academically capable and from there decide whether the program is right for you based on your transcripts, essay, etc.
:luck:

Melkorii said:

Melkorii, no need for Letters of Recommendation to HES. Applying is a simple process for most.

For those looking/or have gotten employment in the past at Harvard or one of the affiliated hospitals, which is the best way to apply? They say for example at Brigham and Women's that the quickest way is to send your resume electronically, however I know how HR works and you very rarely hear back unless they have something in their hands to see or give someone.
Any advice?

Hey, sorry if this post sounds ******ed, i just figured you guys would be the best to answer

So i just took the april mcats, im a 4th year pre-med student in molecular and microbiology major, i have 2 more classes to graduate, i have a science gpa of 3.5, overall gpa of 3.6 and i did crappy on the august mcat, hence the re-take. and now im applying again through aamcas this summer. But...im also planning ahead, and wondering if i dont get in this year....

should i also apply right now to the harvard program? whats the difference between the HEP and the HCP? ive already taken all the pre-reqs...i did decent. i also have some upper level classses under my belt, such as bio chem and immunolgy. but it seems really cool to have a post-bac at "harvard"...

will this post-bac route be of any benefit to me? what do i do.... i feel so lost and depressed sometimes cuz this is my second time applying. im really praying for a lot better mcat score, but if it doesnt come through...theres always a 3-peat in august, but even that im not sure about.

i have the assumption that post-bacs are only for minority or ppl with super low gpas. i however dont fall into this category.

my gpa for my last 2 years has been a 3.98. (junior + senior year). its just cuz my freshmen year and soph i had a 2.5 and 3.4 respectively that overall it looks average.

i have this fear of not getting in this time around. what do i do?

Can someone tell me if HCP is a good thing to go into, in my situation? im 2 classes away from getting my bachelors. im 21 and asian indian. this is my story at the moment, and i feel lost.

please share your thoughts, thanks in advance.

and are there post bac programs where after a year of their classses, you can get an interview or shot at their med school? ive heard that loyola does this, but wasnt sure.

are there better post bac programs i can look at for my case? i read the faq on the main page...im kinda lost at where i fall under. Im not minory, im not 30-80 years old, im dont have super low gpa....i didnt do superb on mcats, all i know is..I want to be a doc. and i wont quit at what it takes.

SilvrGrey330 said:
i have a science gpa of 3.5, overall gpa of 3.6 and i did crappy on the august mcat, hence the re-take.

Since you already have a good GPA, have taken all the pre-reqs AND some upper level work, I doubt that a post-bacc will do you much good. With all those credits you would not be able to take enough classes to significantly raise your GPA. They are typically suited for those who have not taken the required pre-reqs or need a GPA boost, both you have.

The obvious flaw is your MCAT score. My suggestion would be to simply study your butt off for August. Take a Kaplan class or whatever you need to get a better score.

New Here, Ive been reading the post on HES and I cannot wait to start! I got my letter two weeks ago and I wil be starting in the fall, but I have a basic question for anyone who already attends or knows Boston well, and a more complex question.

Question 1:
I am 30 and married, my wife is an accountant and she will be working in the financial district while I attend school. We have been looking at Somerville as a potential place to live, but I have never been to Boston so I dont know what to expect. Can anyone recommend a neighborhood for a 30 year old couple with a medium sized dog? Also can we get away without driving a car? Is there temporary housing that I can get if I need to come back early without my spouse?

Question 2:
I am only playing devils advocate by asking this. I dont have an outstanding GPA. I did the AAMC calculation for my potential GPA after I finish the required courses for sponsorship, but the at the end it wasnt that much higher. I emailed Owen about sponsorship and acceptance, he stated that 80-90% that get sponsored get into med school (Very encouraging). So the question is if you rectify a crappy GPA to a less crappy GPA does the fact that you have sponsorship and a recent history, 1 to 2 years of good grades, override your initial non-stunning GPA? I think we all have potential to get into med school, I am curious what you guys think of the senario of minimal grade enchanment, but backing from a reputable college?

Did everyone else's parents flip out when you said Harvard? I cant get them to stop telling people! Look forward to meeting you all in the fall!

ZaMonkey

Not much activity on this thread lately, [ed. looks like ZaMonkey beat me to it!!] so I'll throw out a question to keep it alive for those who just may have joined or are finally deciding on HES.

I haven't officially taken any of the prerequisites, just AP biology while in HS a long, long time ago. Thus I think it wouldn't hurt to get into the diploma program and get all the extra benefits others have spoken of in past threads. Hey, and you get a nifty piece of paper when it's all over, I suppose.

Is there anything special one has to do to get into the diploma program in terms of registration or paperwork? Do you just register like everyone else in August and check some box (like on the application) and you magically are qualified for it and get the ID, privileges, etc.?

Thanks--looking forward to seeing you guys in Boston. By the way, I think I got housing squared away too, which is a big relief despite the $$$ rent.

Dustin

ZaMonkey said:
Did everyone else's parents flip out when you said Harvard? I cant get them to stop telling people! Look forward to meeting you all in the fall!
ZaMonkey

Welcome ZaMonkey! What classes are you taking this fall? How did you come to want to be a doc?

Yeah, my parents freaked out when I told them. I keep trying to say that it really isn't a big deal, everyone with a pulse gets in--it's finishing that's the hard part, and it's just undergraduate classes etc. Whatever, before I could call her myself, they told my grandmother, who has mild dementia. She thinks I'm going to Harvard med school. HA! :laugh: I wish! Took me 15 minutes to explain it to her...then she confessed that she told her nursing home gossip group and now does not want to retract the "my grandson is going to Harvard med school" statement so I have to "act like I do" whenever I visit. If it makes her happy, I don't mind acting the part. :D

booradley5 said:
Welcome ZaMonkey! What classes are you taking this fall? How did you come to want to be a doc?

Yeah, my parents freaked out when I told them. I keep trying to say that it really isn't a big deal, everyone with a pulse gets in--it's finishing that's the hard part, and it's just undergraduate classes etc. Whatever, before I could call her myself, they told my grandmother, who has mild dementia. She thinks I'm going to Harvard med school. HA! :laugh: I wish! Took me 15 minutes to explain it to her...then she confessed that she told her nursing home gossip group and now does not want to retract the "my grandson is going to Harvard med school" statement so I have to "act like I do" whenever I visit. If it makes her happy, I don't mind acting the part. :D

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with family who cannot stop talking about Harvard (extension school) lol. I'll be starting in the Fall also, please PM me if you'd like to chat about coursework, etc.

Congrats!

booradley5 said:
Thanks--looking forward to seeing you guys in Boston. By the way, I think I got housing squared away too, which is a big relief despite the $$$ rent.
Dustin

Really? I was told not to look until June/July when the summer housing leases are up. Where are you staying, have a roommate? Are you working?

Sundarban1 said:
Really? I was told not to look until June/July when the summer housing leases are up. Where are you staying, have a roommate? Are you working?

I was told the same thing, but one of the real estate people I was working with said that most of their properties for Sept. are coming up in May. On craigslist they are starting to pop up more and more.

As for me, nothing is set in stone yet, but I will probably be moving in with my parents. :eek: Not as bad as it sounds as we are looking for a duplex arrangement that can allow me some space and some savings in rent for them. Without getting too much into it, my mother's health problems are getting increasingly terminal-ish and it'll be nice to be close and care for her. They're currently living in Revere (the big hair capital of Boston IMO) and my stepfather, who is a DPM, is looking to be closer to his practice in Brookline, so it all should work out. *fingers crossed that it all works out*

As for work, I will most likely be continuing my relationship with a couple of my health care clients doing legislative and regulatory counsel on a part time basis, at least for the fall, possibly longer. Not a great income, but enough to pay the bills and afford a modicum of free time to study.

Sundarban...what's your situation looking like? This site was helpful and has some decent properties. http://www.rcg-llc.com

booradley5 said:

Thanks for the welcome! I considered doing the 1 year sponsorship thing, cramming it all in including summer session, but based on what Ive read Im probably going for the 2 year route. This fall I will be taking Ochem 1sem, and something else non-science to warm me up to how classes work there.

Why do I wanna be a doc? Long story short, ex-army guy went to get a degree in physics and ended up working for the DOD, after some soul searchin and volunteer work I found applying science to medicine has been extremely rewarding. I do research now on surgical simulators, Ill be applying for jobs pretty soon here at the local Boston hospitals to see what I can get for the fall.

How about you, why do you want to be a doc? You got housing yet? What will you be taking in the fall? Owen P. said there is about 100 people in our class so far, now I know 1.... late

ZaMonkey said:
You got housing yet? What will you be taking in the fall?

Hi,

I for one will be looking for a job first, then a place to live. I finish my master's in a week or so, after that I will have more time to plan.

I'll be taking an algebra refresher over the summer here at home, and Physics/Chem I (mayyyybe A&P) in the Fall. Trying not to take too many science courses at the summer school ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). Hopefully it works out!

ZaMonkey said:
Thanks for the welcome! I considered doing the 1 year sponsorship thing, cramming it all in including summer session, but based on what Ive read Im probably going for the 2 year route. This fall I will be taking Ochem 1sem, and something else non-science to warm me up to how classes work there.

Why do I wanna be a doc? Long story short, ex-army guy went to get a degree in physics and ended up working for the DOD, after some soul searchin and volunteer work I found applying science to medicine has been extremely rewarding. I do research now on surgical simulators, Ill be applying for jobs pretty soon here at the local Boston hospitals to see what I can get for the fall.

How about you, why do you want to be a doc? You got housing yet? What will you be taking in the fall? Owen P. said there is about 100 people in our class so far, now I know 1.... late

If you plan on doing 2 years, why/how are you doing OChem in your 1st year? I take it with the degree in physics you have Gen Chem under your belt, but then why would need two years? I'm sure there's a rational explaination, guess I'm just confused on how you would do it.

Surgical simulators sounds like a fun research job. Were you involved in that battlefield telemedicine/surgical suite they just announced?

As for why I want to be a doc, I remember posting the basics a few pages back in this thread as did several of our future classmates. I love the diversity of stories and reasons why we're all coming to medicine...it should be a lot of fun.

Sounds like you had a good conversation with Owen...any other good tidbits you want to share?