Salaries for DO vs. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taj

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.unfortunately i am unable to find any source that acutally give some figure for the salary difference between DOs and MDs....it doesnt really matter cause i am sure there isnt that much of a diff but i'd really like to know! i've tried all possible combinations on google, no luck! know of any such source/sites?
taj

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Taj said:
Ok, so i am not gonna lie, i m in it for the money too...unfortunately i am unable to find any source that acutally give some figure for the salary difference between DOs and MDs....it doesnt really matter cause i am sure there isnt that much of a diff but i'd really like to know! i've tried all possible combinations on google, no luck! know of any such source/sites?
taj

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE, DO A SEARCH :idea:

well thats different that what I;ve been told unfortunately...thanks for the input though, g'luck

brodaiga said:
THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE, DO A SEARCH :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Taj,
you are treading in dangerous waters here with the sdn'rs and this question, that is your warning, as far as the difference, there is none. If you have heard something different, and aren't going to listen to what we tell you then why bother asking. But I do know one thing, if one day you are a doctor as I am going to be, then I hope by then you figure out that it is not about the money. If you are thinking about going into medicine you should realize that we will not make as much as physician's in the past, although we will be comfortable and have jobs that we hopefully enjoy, most of us won't be rolling in our bentley's.

Taj said:
Ok, so i am not gonna lie, i m in it for the money too...unfortunately i am unable to find any source that acutally give some figure for the salary difference between DOs and MDs....it doesnt really matter cause i am sure there isnt that much of a diff but i'd really like to know! i've tried all possible combinations on google, no luck! know of any such source/sites?
taj

:thumbdown:

What's wrong with wanting good pay? :confused:

This is a duplicate thread. In fact, the last thread that covered this topic had almost the same title and is less than a month old. Refer to that flaming please.

Heres your answer....

When you are a doctor you will be referred to by your job description, ie Pediatrician, Surgeon, Radiologist, etc, and not by your degree (DO or MD). Because you are performing the same task (albeit it with slight differences depending on the doctor) you get paid the same. There really isn't much more to it then that....

Reactions: 1 user
actually, i think that DOs earn less than MDs. but boy...to go through med school and then years of residency just for money????.....are you sure you want to do that? you do realize that it will take years before you start earning in the 6 figure salary. you do not earn a great deal right after med school. if anyone is going into medicine for purely money, they will get burned out rather quickly. medicine is grueling, time consuming and if you are not in it for the passion of it, you are going into it for the wrong reason. i agree that financial stability is a good positive but that should not be the sole reason. if you are in it for the money, why dont you go into law or finance where you can earn big bucks right after school?

Its is too bad there are still people still going in to a prof. because of money. I assure you that there are other careers where you can make much more faster.

Make sure to mention it at any DO school interview. They like honesty!

BTW... I am doing it for my parents!!!!! NOTTT

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctor G said:
Have you checked this out yet?

Physicians and Surgeons

That is a good website. I like the way they integrate both degrees as identical.

Now only if AOA and the schools can grow up and act with maturity. Stop dilluting the entrance requirements and stop the infection of new schools. And warm up and respecting AAMC.

My brother is a D.O. with a family practice clinic in a rural area. He brings home 200K+ per year. I personally know a FP M.D. who does not make that much.

It all depends on the situation and how much you are willing to work.

stretch210 said:
Taj,
you are treading in dangerous waters here with the sdn'rs and this question, that is your warning, as far as the difference, there is none. If you have heard something different, and aren't going to listen to what we tell you then why bother asking. But I do know one thing, if one day you are a doctor as I am going to be, then I hope by then you figure out that it is not about the money. If you are thinking about going into medicine you should realize that we will not make as much as physician's in the past, although we will be comfortable and have jobs that we hopefully enjoy, most of us won't be rolling in our bentley's.

I dont understand why we have to warn ppl of "treading on dangerous waters" with certain topics. let people discuss whatever they want to discuss. its an internet forum. sure this topic has been discussed in like 20 threads already, but look how many hits and comments this one has... obviously its still generating interest and now more people will be educated about the OP. the DO forum moves so slowly anyways.. its not like more pertinent threads are being relegated to the "second page" at an alarming rate like in the allo forum.

Also, who cares if he goes in it for money. The application process is grueling enough to weed out people who have no passion for the profession. if money can sufficiently fuel him through the application process, so be it. going into a medicine for the money doesnt directly translate into being a bad doctor.

i dont know where all this "doctors dont make alot of money" sentiment comes from. 6 figures is a crapload to me. i dont think $200,000 loans would be made out to med students if they wouldnt be able to pay it back. if you dont consider urself financially wealthy from a six digit salary, then u dont know how to manage ur money.

Reactions: 1 users
DocGina said:
Maybe you don't care if he goes into it just for the money- but he may end up regretting it and some people would give him this advice so he doesn't end up doing something he'll regret. Anyway, obviously you could care less if this happened to him.

Really, you thought the application process was hard? I enjoyed the challenge and felt triumphant when I accomplished what I set out to do. I wish you the best of luck in medical school and I hope you find it much easier than the application process.

Yes finally! I agree with you! Those who go into it just for the money may end up being good/great/outstanding doctors who enjoy medicine. However, that's a crap shoot if you're exclusively doing it for the money. Wanting and yearning to be a doctor doesn't guarantee that you'll actually love being a doctor either!

I don't know how much money you've actually ever made in your life time and that is none of my business. If you've only made a max of $20-30,000 in your lifetime, then of course six-figures seems like a lot to you. But it's not that much money. However, where you live makes a big difference. A six-figure salary (especially low six-figure salary) is not considered wealthy in many parts of this country, especially in CA or Metro NY. In the town that I live in now, the average home sells for $800,000. That means you need to make at least six-figures just to qualify for a mortgage to purchase the house. Additionally, after tax, you take home maybe 60-65% of the gross figure. So your net salary goes fast after you pay for the house, food, car, etc. and there is very little to spare after the essentials. I make low six-figures now, and that is the reality of the situation. Maybe it would be different if I lived in a less expensive part of the country or had many more tax deductions. Believe me, taxes are horrible when you are in the highest tax bracket.

i live where expensive houses are those at 200k+... this is the heart of the country, kansas city. the average per hour salary is $17/hr. if you do not think low 6 figs is enough, fooey on you! haha

that 200k+ house will land you 5000sqft, lake front view, 2+ acres, and quick access to highway/shopping, or you could get similar out very secluded. take your pick. ppl that complain about money suck. tooooooooooooooooo materialistic. get your head out of the toilet and wake up... there is a lot more to this world than money..........

further, usa is far more wealthy than nearly every country. that 200k here would get 10 places the same or better in most other parts of the world. if you think ~100k is poor, you are living in a glass bowl and know NOTHING of this world.

:mad:

So do DDS and DMD have different salaries too? ;)

additionally i think any salary comparision between specialties is lame if you do not also compare the hrs worked. too easily you ignore those hours because what most of us are used to is working 40hrs or less a week. so we give that as an assumed norm and compare salaries.

espbeliever said:
i live where expensive houses are those at 200k+... this is the heart of the country, kansas city. the average per hour salary is $17/hr. if you do not think low 6 figs is enough, fooey on you! haha

that 200k+ house will land you 5000sqft, lake front view, 2+ acres, and quick access to highway/shopping, or you could get similar out very secluded. take your pick. ppl that complain about money suck. tooooooooooooooooo materialistic. get your head out of the toilet and wake up... there is a lot more to this world than money..........

further, usa is far more wealthy than nearly every country. that 200k here would get 10 places the same or better in most other parts of the world. if you think ~100k is poor, you are living in a glass bowl and know NOTHING of this world.

:mad:

You seriously got into medical school?

No, it's not all about the money: it's also about social status. :thumbdown:

Never downplay the basic human social need to feel important.

Dies Irae said:
Never downplay the basic human social need to feel important.
What about the need to feel great satisfaction from knowing that you saved a life or improved the quality of life for someone?

DocGina said:
I'm so sorry that you're not aware that the cost of living is much higher in many other parts of the country, but that is the case in many metro areas. I didn't mean to make you mad and I wish I lived in a cheaper part of the country like you - but us city folk often find it hard to adjust! Anyway, if you read my other posts you would see that I am not materialistic. If I was, I wouldn't be giving up my job now to become a poor student. My reply to the original thread was that he shouldn't make money the determining factor in his decision to become a doctor.

but that is my point. i DO live in the city.

:thumbdown:

why is that when ever money is brought up in the medical profession people get all touchy feel-y. If you look at it objectively, medicine is a profession like any other, and if you interviewing for a job wouldn't you like to know how much you'd be making? Sure medicine is humanitarian and all that, I am not debating that at all...In fact it is a long and arduous journey so it needs to be chosen for the right reasons, but to lash back at someone for asking about salaries is immature....Are you (a future doc) really that egotistical that you believe that you're so far above everyone else that money is not an issue.

Also, some one above said that "if you believe a 6 figure salary is not enough then its shameful, or something to that extent...well I completely agree with you. I come from India, and although I grew up in the city most of my family is from a very rural small village in that where 1 dollar goes a LONG way...my ultimate goal is to build a clinic there so the villagers dont have to travel to next town....so for me a solid six figure salary is excellent, it'll give me enough to take care of my family and make this goal possible.

Bottom line, if you're gonna spend the best yrs of your life pulling all nighters, and in night shifts, clearly you would have to be in it for the right reason...and asking about money is not a sign of selfishness or malice
Peace,
taj :thumbup:

Taj said:
taj

If you're in it for the money than boy are you barking up the wrong tree! If you want money, go get a JD or a MBA. You can make loads more money without all the effort that comes with being a doctor!

bwells46 said:
If you're in it for the money than boy are you barking up the wrong tree! If you want money, go get a JD or a MBA. You can make loads more money without all the effort that comes with being a doctor!

Oh for heaven's sake people READ!

DocGina said:
You sound so mad ESP! I'm not trying to rattle your chain. Your description of city is different from mine. When you described "lake front 2+ acres" that is not synonymous with what I believe to be the city. Come to Manhattan for a visit and drop by a realtor's office. Just to warn you, you'll be completely appalled!

Again, I mentioned in my previous posts that cost of living is definitely a factor in determining how far your money goes. My point is that the money I make doesn't go that far where I live so six-figures doesn't pull as much weight in NYC that it does in Kansas City. I wish it did, but alas, it is meager here. That's all I was saying ESP, please don't get mad.

give me a break. im not mad at all. i think it is wrong for ppl that already have a lot to complain about not having more.

im thinking about all of this from the viewpoint of, you CHOSE to live at the place with a stupid cost of living index. now to complain about not being able to drive your stretch limo around as much to all of your friends mansions is so petty.... you are not exactly doing that, but i hear that from too many ppl too much... most of my friends live on 30k or less a year. crazy..............

Taj said:
Oh for heaven's sake people READ!
Go to dentistry... much less (dare I say less rigorous) training. Don't need to do residency and they start over $100,000 and some are making over a million bucks doing cosmetic dentistry (as general practitioners) in practices. Why go through the hell of medical training if you're "in it for the money"?

espbeliever said:
give me a break. im not mad at all. i think it is wrong for ppl that already have a lot to complain about not having more.

im thinking about all of this from the viewpoint of, you CHOSE to live at the place with a stupid cost of living index.

I'm glad you're not mad, that was not my intention at all. The $800,000 homes are not mansions, either! This is the scary thing- we are talking about 1,400 to 2,000 sq.ft. homes! You're right, it is crazy! And it's hard to leave family and friends and deep roots behind just for a lower cost of living. I guess that's why I stayed, that and because I was born and raised here and it's what I am used to. However, even if I did move, I would make less, and that would offset the lower cost of living- so it would even out anyway! Oh well.

good option, but I'd much rather be a physician, specifically a pediatrician....

I'd really like to know how many of you would continue pursuing this profession if tomorrow someone were to pass a law saying that doctors will only be paid minimum wage, or if they said doctors would be pe paid at all....Excuse the language but dont sht yourself by saying you dont care about money. I've stated my intention above for asking the question in the first place...so I would appreciate it if you didnt judge :)
peace,
Taj

OnMyWayThere said:
Go to dentistry... much less (dare I say less rigorous) training. Don't need to do residency and they start over $100,000 and some are making over a million bucks doing cosmetic dentistry (as general practitioners) in practices. Why go through the hell of medical training if you're "in it for the money"?

DocGina said:
I'm glad you're not mad, that was not my intention at all. The $800,000 homes are not mansions, either! This is the scary thing- we are talking about 1,400 to 2,000 sq.ft. homes! You're right, it is crazy! And it's hard to leave family and friends and deep roots behind just for a lower cost of living. I guess that's why I stayed, that and because I was born and raised here and it's what I am used to. However, even if I did move, I would make less, and that would offset the lower cost of living- so it would even out anyway! Oh well.

if it did, then your original arguement would be invalidated.

for some professions you could argue this, but doctors make very similar to what others make nearly everywhere in the country. granted it is not exactly the same, but a much thinner % difference than others.

Taj said:
good option, but I'd much rather be a physician, specifically a pediatrician....

I'd really like to know how many of you would continue pursuing this profession if tomorrow someone were to pass a law saying that doctors will only be paid minimum wage, or if they said doctors would be pe paid at all....Excuse the language but dont sht yourself by saying you dont care about money. I've stated my intention above for asking the question in the first place...so I would appreciate it if you didnt judge :)
peace,
Taj

fine. example - doctors only get min wage. who buys the materials? would have to be gov... overhead, everything, etc. on min wage that would not at all be possible. what about mal prac insurance? gov. all on the government. who is going to pay my school loans? well, im not paying them on min wage, so have fun mister government. how many hours will i be required to work at min wage? maybe ill be a doc only a few hrs to make me happy, and then goto consulting or something?

unless you would rather go the route of bartering... and maybe that would be a reality if the stock market(housing market) crashed... it was only maybe 70 yrs ago.......

DocGina said:
What about the need to feel great satisfaction from knowing that you saved a life or improved the quality of life for someone?

Then why not be a lifeguard, or a social worker, or work for a non-profit organization? Those of us who pursue careers in medicine are motivated by a combination of things, not the least of which are the compensation, job security, and the preception of others.

I would never have chosen to go into medicine if I did not sincerely love it, but that does not mean that I should rationalize away the more cynical perspective of my own dream. I often ask myself whether or not I would be going to medical school if the median annual salary of physcians was 30K.

espbeliever said:
unless you would rather go the route of bartering... and maybe that would be a reality if the stock market(housing market) crashed... it was only maybe 70 yrs ago.......

hahahahaha :laugh:

Taj said:
hahahahaha :laugh:

sorry. im not laughing. that was a majorly tough time for ppl in the usa. :(

espbeliever said:

im thinking about all of this from the viewpoint of, you CHOSE to live at the place with a stupid cost of living index. now to complain about not being able to drive your stretch limo around as much to all of your friends mansions is so petty.... you are not exactly doing that, but i hear that from too many ppl too much... most of my friends live on 30k or less a year. crazy..............

I'll be completely honest and admit that you're becoming my favorite white whale. But look, how many of your friends support a family on 30k a year? That's what I thought. Some of us whose parents were broke growing up dealt with that situation or much worse, and while we turned out fine (relative term, I suppose), there's now way in hell we want our kids to go through the same.

I've noticed that for a lot of people money isn't an issue at all. Especially when they've never had to worry about it being there.

Dies Irae said:
Then why not be a lifeguard, or a social worker, or work for a non-profit organization? Those of us who pursue careers in medicine are motivated by a combination of things, not the least of which are the compensation, job security, and the preception of others.

I would never have chosen to go into medicine if I did not sincerely love it, but that does not mean that I should rationalize away the more cynical perspective of my own dream. I often ask myself whether or not I would be going to medical school if the median annual salary of physcians was 30K.

Agreed. I may have said this in another thread, but if you want to make a difference in society and still be underpaid and underappreciated there are many other routes to go. Want to do the same thing a doctor does for 30k a year? Be a paramedic. Want to be a pillar of the community? Be a teacher. Want to help people live better lives? Be a social worker.

There's no way in hell I'd go to med school if it meant I'd be making 30k a year and had little or no job security. I'll be the first to admit it. I want myself and my family to be comfortable. That doesn't mean I'm not altruistic, but by God, I'm going to be realistic as well.

Belfagor said:
I'll be completely honest and admit that you're becoming my favorite white whale. But look, how many of your friends support a family on 30k a year? That's what I thought. Some of us whose parents were broke growing up dealt with that situation or much worse, and while we turned out fine (relative term, I suppose), there's now way in hell we want our kids to go through the same.

I've noticed that for a lot of people money isn't an issue at all. Especially when they've never had to worry about it being there.

umm lets see, all but maybe 3-4 of them. they all became teachers!!!

oh yea, ive had to worry. maybe not as much as since i was a kid, but i knew how my parents felt, and im busting my behind to be able to provide for my possible family. doesnt mean that i want them to turn out like paris hilton or something...

you always want your kids to have it better than you had it yourself. there is no surprise there.

Dies Irae said:

i have asked myself that, and it was a resounding yes!!!! i like to be in charge of my patients, not take orders from some careless doc. i like know all i possiblly can about what i am doing. in these situations, i think from my observations,you experience more of "the human condition".

Belfagor said:
That doesn't mean I'm not altruistic, but by God, I'm going to be realistic as well.

wow, you believe in God? your attacking posts in other threads would indicate something, uhh.., something else.

:laugh: :laugh:

please correct me if im wrong, as i am sure you will anyways.

why does it matter if you do? it doesnt, except for the phrasing you use. i.e. if you dont belive, then your wording is meaningless....

like saying, "That doesn't mean I'm not altruistic, but by the fact copper is purple, I'm going to be realistic as well."

espbeliever said:
umm lets see, all but maybe 3-4 of them. they all became teachers!!!

oh yea, ive had to worry. maybe not as much as since i was a kid, but i knew how my parents felt, and im busting my behind to be able to provide for my possible family. doesnt mean that i want them to turn out like paris hilton or something...

you always want your kids to have it better than you had it yourself. there is no surprise there.

Some study (no I'm not going to cite it) claimed that raising a kid with the right medical attention and basic services costs about 10k a year. That leaves 20k for a single mother/father to rent an apartment/house, buy a vehicle, pay insurance, and provide BASIC ammenities. It's less than a grad student stipend.

So all I'm saying is that not everyone gets to relocate to Anytown, USA and live comfortably on the same amount as a person in the city. Therefore, it's not greedy to agree with doctors who believe they are undercompensated in many cases. They have more training than 90% of other professionals, and they take it up the rear from HMO's and insurance as a result.

Belfagor said:
Some study (no I'm not going to cite it) claimed that raising a kid with the right medical attention and basic services costs about 10k a year. That leaves 20k for a single mother/father to rent an apartment/house, buy a vehicle, pay insurance, and provide BASIC ammenities. It's less than a grad student stipend.

So all I'm saying is that not everyone gets to relocate to Anytown, USA and live comfortably on the same amount as a person in the city. Therefore, it's not greedy to agree with doctors who believe they are undercompensated in many cases. They have more training than 90% of other professionals, and they take it up the rear from HMO's and insurance as a result.

if that amount is correct, why do courts give so much more in divorce proceedings/alimony? just wondering.

why relocate? go where you want to. if you cant afford it, go somewhere else. eventually the only ppl living there are the presidents of the top 100 companies, and only then when they "feel" like it. and who wants to live around that crowd? :laugh:

i dunno how my friends do it, but they do. that is all i can tell ya. most of them are in apartments. a few got houses left to them. i know there are many incentives to doing this like being a teacher for the local gov.

espbeliever said:
wow, you believe in God? your attacking posts in other threads would indicate something, uhh.., something else...

Just because I didn't buy into your news report from christisawesome-perish-in-hell-you-sinners.com or whatever spew that you dredged that news report from doesn't mean I'm a heathen.

Also, I don't think that saying Noah used dinosaur eggs to fit everything on to the ark validates Creationism. Sue me.

espbeliever said:
please correct me if im wrong, as i am sure you will anyways..

Yes, I will.

espbeliever said:
if that amount is correct, why do courts give so much more in divorce proceedings/alimony? just wondering.

why relocate? go where you want to. if you cant afford it, go somewhere else. eventually the only ppl living there are the presidents of the top 100 companies, and only then when they "feel" like it. and who wants to live around that crowd? :laugh:

i dunno how my friends do it, but they do. that is all i can tell ya. most of them are in apartments. a few got houses left to them. i know there are many incentives to doing this like being a teacher for the local gov.

I know little or nothing about divorce proceedings, so I can't answer that. Your ideas on relocation are cute, but remember that there are many factors that come into play when considering where to live. Family, job market, and safety all come to mind. And while it might be great to put all of those "presidents of the top 100 companies" into one little rich farm, I'll ask you this:

Who's going to clean their urinals?
Who's going to mop their floors?
Who's going to pave their streets?
Who's going to serve them dinner?
Who's going to give them their daily latte?

That's right, people with jobs that rank lower on the socioeconomic totem poll. What are they supposed to do on their crappy salary? Commute many miles to and from so they limit the time they spend with their families?

Look, while it might be great to all live on a farm and paint ourselves read/trip on acid/write poetry, it's just not going to happen.

Belfagor said:
Just because I didn't buy into your news report from christisawesome-perish-in-hell-you-sinners.com or whatever spew that you dredged that news report from doesn't mean I'm a heathen.

Also, I don't think that saying Noah used dinosaur eggs to fit everything on to the ark validates Creationism. Sue me.

Yes, I will.

thanks for hijacking the thread, you troll!!! :smuggrin:

espbeliever said:
thanks for hijacking the thread, you troll!!! :smuggrin:

You brought it up. When's your birthday? I'm going to buy you thesaurus so that you can find a different word to call me every 2.6 posts. But amazingly, you're right, I'm going to get off of this one, since the original post was so original and all. ;)

Dies Irae said:
Those of us who pursue careers in medicine are motivated by a combination of things, not the least of which are the compensation, job security, and the preception of others.

Absolutely agreed. I just wanted to add to the list.

espbeliever said:
if it did, then your original arguement would be invalidated.

for some professions you could argue this, but doctors make very similar to what others make nearly everywhere in the country. granted it is not exactly the same, but a much thinner % difference than others.

My Dearest ESP,

I don't think you understood my point of replying to your posts. Here it is very simply: the amount of money you make is relative to your cost of living! You said that I lived in a fish bowl because I didn't think six-figures was a lot of money, so I was trying to help you understand my perspective. That is all, it's not an argument and this is a slight deviation from the original topic at hand that I was trying to make to Taj.

About the income topic- I am just reporting what I have seen in my experience of seeing doctors' income tax returns. The original thread was in fact about that!

What you say about doctor's incomes being the same is interesting. This is not what I have seen on the thousands of doctors' tax returns that I have assessed in order to determine repayment ability when they apply for equipment financing. I am the person who decides who gets the loan when doctors apply for financing. So I can speak very factually about this topic. I am not trying to judge or express my opinion. Rather, I am merely reporting what I have seen to people who don't have access to this type of information.