Dental Student gets shafted for Blog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMDeeMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Marquette suspends dental student for blog comments
Disciplinary panel says he violated conduct code, but ruling is being appealed
By MEGAN TWOHEY
[email protected]
Posted: Dec. 5, 2005

A dental student at Marquette University has been suspended for the rest of the academic year and ordered to repeat a semester after a committee of professors, administrators and students determined that he violated professional conduct codes when he posted negative comments about unnamed students and professors on a blog.

Scott Taylor, the student's attorney, said his client, a 22-year-old in Marquette's School of Dentistry, was brought before the committee for a conduct hearing last week after a classmate complained about his blog , a Web site that contained musings about topics ranging from his education to videogames and drinking.

The focus of the hearing, Taylor said, were half a dozen postings including one describing a professor as "a (expletive) of a teacher" and another that described 20 classmates as having the "intellectual/maturity of a 3-year-old."

Taylor released what he said was a complete transcript of the blog, which is no longer available online. Taylor said the student did not want to be identified, and his name could not be confirmed.

In a letter to the student dated Dec. 2, Denis Lynch, the dental school's associate dean for academic affairs, said the committee had found the student "guilty of professional misconduct in violation of the dental school's Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct."

The student also violated a universitywide code that subjects students to disciplinary action if they participate in stalking, hazing or harassments, the letter states.

In addition to informing the student of his suspension and his need to repeat his fall semester, which costs $14,000 in tuition, Lynch threatened the student with expulsion if he continued to post material on "any blog sites that contain crude, demeaning and unprofessional remarks."

Marquette spokeswoman Brigid O'Brien Miller said the decision, which is being appealed, is the second time the private university has taken action against a student for statements made on a blog, a form of online communication that is becoming increasingly popular among students and professors across the country.

The decision drew criticism Monday on and off campus.

"Dear Marquette Administrators," read the opening entry Monday on GOP3.com, a blog maintained by several Marquette students who have never faced disciplinary action for postings that criticize the administration. "You decided to screw up again. . . . I am eager to learn the student's name; he has just made many new friends at Marquette University."

Mark Goodman, executive director of the Student Press Law Center, in Arlington, Va., said: "The decision raises serious questions about the school's commitment to free expression. If the university has the ability to punish students for expression that occurs outside of class and school-sponsored events, they are really controlling students' lives."

The critics, including the student's attorney, recognize that private universities have a greater ability to limit student speech than their public counterparts, Taylor said. When students enroll in a private university, they agree to follow restrictions of the administration.

What bothers Taylor and others is what they call vagueness of Marquette's codes of conduct and the decision to apply them in this case. The dental school's code requires students "to conduct interactions with each other, with patients and with others in a manner that promotes understanding and trust" and condemns "actions, which in any way discriminate against or favor any group or are harassing in nature."

The dental student's blog was written in a rambling stream of consciousness intended for his friends to view, Taylor said.

In one entry, he wrote, "haha the guy in my class I dislike extremely, no names mentioned, but he is the srpenidte, got yelled at today in the practical (skills) exam we took today in preservation of tooth structure. That brought a smile to my face, because it just one more display of his idiocy."

The student admits that some of the entries were "imprudent, immature or crude," Taylor said, but he denies that they constitute misconduct.

Daniel D'Angelo, an adjunct associate professor of behavioral sciences in the School of Dentistry, agreed. He reviewed the student's blog entries at the request of his parents before the conduct hearing. D'Angelo, who is a co-director of Marquette's Ethics and Professionalism curriculum, determined that the postings did not justify disciplinary action.

"What he wrote was imprudent, immature and oftentimes distasteful," D'Angelo wrote in a letter to Anthony Ziebert, a professor who headed the student-faculty review committee that heard the case. "But no matter how much I or anyone else find these entries, rude, distasteful and imprudent, it doesn't make these entries unethical or immoral."

D'Angelo said he made the decision after consulting with the director of bioethics at the Medical College of Wisconsin and a legal ethicist.

Before the student came in front of the review committee, Lynch gave him the option of signing an admission of guilt that would have allowed him to forgo a conduct hearing and be placed on probation. The student refused, Taylor said.

John McAdams, a professor who posted details of the case on his blog, The Warrior, concluded that "the entire process did not look like the adjudication of a case of student misconduct. It looked like a vendetta."

Lynch's secretary referred calls for comment to O'Brien Miller, who said university officials could not comment on the case while it is being appealed.

O'Brien Miller said the student faced disciplinary action while other student bloggers don't because of the School of Dentistry's code of ethics and professional conduct, which she described as "in keeping with the highest standards of conduct expected of those entering professions like dentistry."

But Taylor said: "I think it will have a chilling effect on all student discourse in higher education."

The dean has five days to act on the student's appeal.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/dec05/375555.asp

honestly what is next here? how the Dean assumes he can censor what is said about his school on a public forum i just dont know. granted what this kid said was in bad taste, but by no means should he be financially punished!

Members don't see this ad.

UMDeeMan said:

honestly what is next here? how the Dean assumes he can censor what is said about his school on a public forum i just dont know. granted what this kid said was in bad taste, but by no means should he be financially punished!

do they really yell at their students during exams? wow, sounds fun. anyone out there here anything like this from other schools?

thats a lotta bad publicity...

Members don't see this ad :)
Discussions of free speech aside, I agree that it's impossible to determine if he really was breaking a rule or not. The handbook seemed vague about what was acceptable or not, and that seems a pretty harsh sentence for a rule not obviously broken....:confused:

And I really hope I don't have someone like that in my class!!! :scared: *self-consciously avoids asking questions in lab* :oops: Whatever happened to support? What a hideous display of arrogance!

Also, I think the school has more bad press NOW than if they let some angry words get around through a blog....eesh! what a mess. :thumbdown:

I feel that there is a gross invasion of privacy involved in this matter. No matter how the University justifies diciplinary action due to not complying with University bylaws, it poses a serious concern in the Dental community as a whole. This is surely something that, though many dismiss as a freak incident, will influence how people conduct themselves at Dental School.

Wow, I could say a lot of things, but I think I'll stick with...I'm glad I didn't apply to Marquette. It seems that if soldiers in the military are free to share their opinions in blogs, dental students at private universities should have the same right.

This is really interesting, because I've been asked to participate in a campus-wide student blog campaign here at the IUPUI campus, and the first question I asked was whether we'd be allowed to write critically. The organizer seemed almost surprised to hear it, and responded with something to the effect of "Of course you can be candid. That's the whole point."

I guess the guys at Marquette don't feel the same way. :p

im going to withdraw my application. :D

UMDeeMan said:

yes!!!! where did u get that SNL cowbell animation? that is great!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cool:

SirShagaLot said:
yes!!!! where did u get that SNL cowbell animation? that is great!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cool:

i can't remember, it's been a while since i've posted on here since i'm applying to Physician Assistant school. i blew it up and put it in a power point presentation in class this semester, place erupted. "I've got a fever! And the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

I agree that students should have a right to express themselves... and agree that the publicity does make Marquette seem a bit unfavorable... but what do we really know from this perspective about the student? Deans like Dr. Lynch who lead academic affairs deal with students who "cause problems" on a daily basis. Perhaps this wasn't the first time this student interfered with or broke the rules of student conduct. If that's the case... Marquette is justified. Taken alone, however, I think the punishment is severe. I'll take it into consideration as I decide between Marquette and San Antonio. But home is starting to look like it will keep being home.

Dr. Lynch seems like a really good guy. At my interview and and durring the couple conversations I've had with him, he struck me as respectful and open-minded. If he represents the rest of the committee that made the decision, I'm sure there were many factors to be taken into consideration.

There is no such a thing as bad publicity.

Oh wait, that only applies to celebrities.

I am glad that I never paid the secondary fee that they asked about it back in August but I really had a bad feelings about the school after talkng to some students who visited there.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the national media picks up on this it will add an interesting dimension to the saga. Here at UPenn a student took two pictures of students doing the 'nasty' in front of their window in one of the very large, very tall, very conspicuous, very visible, curtainless undergrad dorms. The student posted them to his personal website and they were quickly passed around campus and are now on collegehumor.com (no names or faces). Upon learning of this the university quickly instigated a similar process against this student (charges such as sexual harassment and violation of school code of conduct, among other things were brought up), but the national media picked up on it and the university backed down.

I'm interested to see how this pans out (issues of free speech, public domain, etc.).

Students are yalled at, fined, suspended... I guess things at religious schools never change!

Its funny how we can be critical of the President of the country but not a professor or a classmate!!

damn, I'm not writing anything in mine anymore.

thats so ridiculous... its one thing if he was making threats or something to that nature, but just being insulting to people is his free speech. i blame it all on the patriot act..damn bush and ashcroft :laugh:

ItsGavinC said:
I feel for the guy, seriously. I often get messages from my school regarding posts I've made on SDN.

Damn, on SDN?

Well, Ive been pretty supportive of BU, so maybe I can get that gpa bumped up a few notches?

Seriously, this whole thing is a little on the scary side...definitely need to be careful.

Comet208 said:
Its funny how we can be critical of the President of the country but not a professor or a classmate!!
Great point. The great thing about this country is you can say whatever you want as long as you don't harm anyone else. This guy may have said some rude or "wrong" things, but it doesn't hurt anyone because no one is obligated to read them. Some people in this country have become so uptight and PC it drives me nuts.

deebog01 said:
I agree that students should have a right to express themselves... and agree that the publicity does make Marquette seem a bit unfavorable... but what do we really know from this perspective about the student? Deans like Dr. Lynch who lead academic affairs deal with students who "cause problems" on a daily basis. Perhaps this wasn't the first time this student interfered with or broke the rules of student conduct. If that's the case... Marquette is justified. Taken alone, however, I think the punishment is severe. I'll take it into consideration as I decide between Marquette and San Antonio. But home is starting to look like it will keep being home.

Dr. Lynch seems like a really good guy. At my interview and and durring the couple conversations I've had with him, he struck me as respectful and open-minded. If he represents the rest of the committee that made the decision, I'm sure there were many factors to be taken into consideration.

What is the conflict? SA is probably 5x less expensive and is an awesome school.

Rezdawg said:
Damn, on SDN?

Well, Ive been pretty supportive of BU, so maybe I can get that gpa bumped up a few notches?

Seriously, this whole thing is a little on the scary side...definitely need to be careful.

You wouldn't believe who reads these boards. That's not a comment about my school, just a comment in general.

phremius said:
damn, I'm not writing anything in mine anymore.

Man some of those were funny, I was laughing soooo hard at the "Failed at the Gym" one...

sinned said:
Man some of those were funny, I was laughing soooo hard at the "Failed at the Gym" one...

I agree...I vote for phremius to continuing writing. Makes for a good laugh.

ItsGavinC said:
You wouldn't believe who reads these boards. That's not a comment about my school, just a comment in general.
yeah......interesting subject.........2 Solutions:

1) Anonymity

2) Discretion is the better part of valor

ItsGavinC said:
I feel for the guy, seriously. I often get messages from my school regarding posts I've made on SDN.

Really? That's odd, considering your usually pretty neutral in your comments, Gavin.

UMDeeMan said:

I agree with the right to free speech, but there is also the responsibility of being a healthcare provider and representing the school. I wonder why he stays if he is so miserable? I am not sure I would like him working on my teeth since his comments make him seem arrogant, conceeded and selfish. But who knows? I don't know him and I don't know the whole story, but I don't think that I would want him as my lab partner or associate.

I teach through Kaplan and I know that a person applied for a supervisory position. It boiled down to two people and one was denied the position because this person was making deragatory comments about Kaplan on a blog. Even though this person was a great teacher, the adminsitration did not want a management level person who publicly complained about the company.

It's a fine line between privacy and representing yourself/profession!

Where were his friends/familiy so that he could just call and vent privately?

Yet another reason to choose a great school to go to, like the Owls. :D

Now i don't feel so bad for recieving the "we are going to 'HOLD' in making a decision on your application..." letter from Marquette.

The guy maybe should have been more professional, but this is rediculous.

Oh well, screw marquette, i didn't want to go to there anyways! I think the guy should transfer (if he can) and leave with rear end exposed telling the dean to kiss his you know what.

Sprgrover said:
Really? That's odd, considering your usually pretty neutral in your comments, Gavin.

My school has some serious problems when it comes to publicity and seems to have no idea how to "market" themselves. I believe their relations with the public are extremely poor. The funniest part is the round-about method in which they deny the droves of applicants that have applied to the school solely from reading comments on SDN (this comment doesn't apply to our Dean, who is a fantastic guy and believes SDN is a powerful and useful medium).

Memo to school: is sure as heck isn't the cheap-looking website that's doing the trick.

I fully expect to get an email about this post, by the way.

ItsGavinC said:
My school has some serious problems when it comes to publicity and seems to have no idea how to "market" themselves. I believe their relations with the public are extremely poor. The funniest part is the round-about method in which they deny the droves of applicants that have applied to the school solely from reading comments on SDN (this comment doesn't apply to our Dean, who is a fantastic guy and believes SDN is a powerful and useful medium).

Memo to school: is sure as heck isn't the cheap-looking website that's doing the trick.

I think thats what happed to me with Arizona. I have changed my log in name.

Gavin will you get put on probation for your comments? Man that would suck. All in the name of keeping this poor site running.

wow.

wow......sad when you cant voice your opinion.

PERFECT3435 said:
wow......sad when you cant voice your opinion.

yea really. Just us dorks and nerds on here anyhow. Why are these colleges so uptight?

Must be something else that we arent gettin. This guy may have had it comin.

It's really sad that school has to worry about their student's comments. Doesn't matter what they are. School should be doing a good job on making students happier at school so they will have good things to say about the school and will likely give some alumni donations instead of stopping them from giving their honest opinion. It seems like, Honesty isn't the best policy with dental schools.

Again, I am really worried that when I start dental school coming year, I won't be able to give my honest opinion about the school unless it is about praising the school. Also, what about freedom of speech. And another thing, Why a good well reputed school has to worry about one students opinion. let me see they are not well reputed that is why. I see it now.

Mustt Mustt said:
It's really sad that school has to worry about their student's comments. Doesn't matter what they are. School should be doing a good job on making students happier at school so they will have good things to say about the school and will likely give some alumni donations instead of stopping them from giving their honest opinion. It seems like, Honesty isn't the best policy with dental schools.

Again, I am really worried that when I start dental school coming year, I won't be able to give my honest opinion about the school unless it is about praising the school. Also, what about freedom of speech. And another thing, Why a good well reputed school has to worry about one students opinion. let me see they are not well reputed that is why. I see it now.

I will probably suck alot of butt and just do what I can to pass. After I graduate and they call asking for money I will tell them where to stick it for the four years they punished me.

Or maybe I will give lots of money. I will have to see how they treat me first!

First off, I’m amazed that an administration would go to this level and bring this publicity upon themselves. I applaud the student for having the guts to sue them. For one thing, what he said borders on insult. I’m shocked an administration in charge of the welfare of 4 classes of dental students would use administrative time to deal with such a minor issue.

You have to realize the student is in a no-win situation. If he wins (which IMO, he will), there’s no way he will want to go back to the same school. Yes, I know, it would be a nice ‘in your face’. But you guys know how dental school works. With people aligned against him, his life would be a living hell.

I really hoped he sued for 1 year of the average DDS salary, around 160k. He in essence just lost one full year of his working career, which includes that salary. I hope he also sued for tuition and unspecified damages. If I were him I would stick it so hard to the school, get it into every type of dental and non-dental medium as possible.

Shame on Marquette.

And Gavin, not that it’s your fault, but to think that your faculty waste time reading your posts on this site is laughable.

DcS said:
First off, I’m amazed that an administration would go to this level and bring this publicity upon themselves. I applaud the student for having the guts to sue them. For one thing, what he said borders on insult. I’m shocked an administration in charge of the welfare of 4 classes of dental students would use administrative time to deal with such a minor issue.

You have to realize the student is in a no-win situation. If he wins (which IMO, he will), there’s no way he will want to go back to the same school. Yes, I know, it would be a nice ‘in your face’. But you guys know how dental school works. With people aligned against him, his life would be a living hell.

I really hoped he sued for 1 year of the average DDS salary, around 160k. He in essence just lost one full year of his working career, which includes that salary. I hope he also sued for tuition and unspecified damages. If I were him I would stick it so hard to the school, get it into every type of dental and non-dental medium as possible.

Shame on Marquette.

And Gavin, not that it’s your fault, but to think that your faculty waste time reading your posts on this site is laughable.

I agree. Don't they have stuff to do thats more important?

ASDOH? Yeah, one reason I didn't apply there. Its too weird! Gavin, can they come down hard on me?

:D :D :D

ItsGavinC said:

If I were on adcoms, I would use SDN comments as a tool for decision making too. Your interview is a way for them to get a feel of who you are, but your responses are manicured and practiced.

I think that what people say on SDN is a measure of who they really are and frankly I have read some posts by people that are down right rude. This is who those people really are and I would not want them at my dental school either. It is a small world and you always have to watch your mouth.

As for the original issue: There is nothing wrong with expressing your feelings about your school, however perhaps the student should try and use a little more discretion when posting. MQT is a private school and thy have the prerogative to punish their students as they see fit. Perhaps the punishment is stiff and he/she at least deserved a warning.

It is possible to disagree with your professors and classmates and voice your opinion in a calm mature manner. In fact by doing so someone’s point usually is clearer and more valid.

Bottom Line…
It sucks, but it happens…. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
-C

SuperC said:
If I were on adcoms, I would use SDN comments as a tool for decision making too. Your interview is a way for them to get a feel of who you are, but your responses are manicured and practiced.

I think that what people say on SDN is a measure of who they really are and frankly I have read some posts by people that are down right rude. This is who those people really are and I would not want them at my dental school either. It is a small world and you always have to watch your mouth.

As for the original issue: There is nothing wrong with expressing your feelings about your school, however perhaps the student should try and use a little more discretion when posting. MQT is a private school and thy have the prerogative to punish their students as they see fit. Perhaps the punishment is stiff and he/she at least deserved a warning.

It is possible to disagree with your professors and classmates and voice your opinion in a calm mature manner. In fact by doing so someone’s point usually is clearer and more valid.

Bottom Line…
It sucks, but it happens…. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
-C

I wonder how they get the student's information. If the Arizona people can get this info who is giving it to them?

GAVIN are you ever asked to hand people over???

I just recently graduated from Marquette and can only say good things about the school, faculty, and Dr. Lynch. I haven't read the posts myself but I, definitely, would lean more towards free speech. With that being said, the student in question must have said some bad **** to cause them to kick him out. In my graduating class, we had a couple of students the administration worked extremely hard at keeping, giving them multiple "second chances." My guess (again only a guess) is that the student did something else to piss off the faculty and the blog was just the straw that broke the camels back. I definitely wouldn't let this incident stop you from going to a school that, in my opinion, provides an excellent dental education.

deebog01 said:
Dr. Lynch is a great guy. He will be the first guy to stand up for you when need be, but he'll also lay down the hammer when necessary. I'm sure it wasn't solely the blog that stirred them up on this kid. I don't know him, but I was there long enough to know that they wouldn't throw out this punishment for no reason. The best part of the whole deal is that a family member is on faculty there...that has to be embarassing...

Wow, yah the Arizona site is definetely ugly. I think some of the URLs that say "Webpage not found" look more visually appealing. :D

Mustt Mustt said:
WRONG. No one would have criticized him for his comments if they had been said in an unoffensive, non-demeaning way. He could have said that he didn't feel that the professor was a good teacher. Instead, he called him a "c*ckmaster". He could say that he finds the people in his class immature and childish. Instead, he singled people out and called them 3-year olds.

For example, we had an instructor get fired a few years ago. I really liked him and thought he was a great professor. I wrote a letter (co-signed by about 75% of my class) and gave it to all the deans and the heads of his department. He seriously butted heads with the rest of his department due to different perspectives. I explained why we thought that he was a great professor, but also expressed concerns about where Marquette was headed if they were going to push out any ideas not melding with their own. No one tried to get me kicked out or reprimanded for doing so. But I didn't call anyone a c*ckmaster.

To think that freedom of speech gives ANYONE the right to say ANYTHING they want WHENEVER they want, without any type of consequence, is mistaken.

I am not saying I agree with censorship or anything, just that, when you are privileged enough to be receiving a dental education from a school that expects you to maintain a certain level of professionalism, you ought to abide by their rules.

here's something to think about.... for those of you who think this type of publicity is bad for marquette.... is this situation worse than having one of their graduates practicing dentistry and referring to his colleagues as cackmasters and other obscene things? I don't know.... there are definitely two valid arguments for this whole situation. it's hard to know what was the "right" thing to do without knowing all of the details.

For any hyper-impressionable predents reading this out there.... this does not make marquette a bad place to go to dental school. Just as temple's location doensn't make it bad, and columbia's strong academics don't make it bad.... etc.

This site is so full of shiz about various dental schools. honestly...

you know what? This guy posted his comments on a BLOG! Marquette should have no jurisdiction in what he says there. And he did at least have the courtesy to not name names. He should be able to say whatever he wants, short of making threats; whether he does it constructively or crudely is his perogative. I'm totally on the student's side of this issue. Free speech is one of the best thing this country is founded on, and Marquette shouldn't be imposing fascist tactics on him, especially when the comments were never meant to be seen by the people he was mocking. How did they find out, anyway? Do they have a Black Shirts squad to check out the private activities of students?

Hot pickle baby said:
I wonder how they get the student's information. If the Arizona people can get this info who is giving it to them?

GAVIN are you ever asked to hand people over???

It's easy to pull information: if you have ever posted your stats, where you come from, you undergrad, it is rather easy to connect the dots with those tid-bits on SDN and your file.

SuperC said:
I think that what people say on SDN is a measure of who they really are and frankly I have read some posts by people that are down right rude. This is who those people really are and I would not want them at my dental school either.

-C

Do you really? I don't think how people post is necessarily how they are in real life. I think the net is a lot different and allows people different parameters of behavior. I mean I'm a sarcastic person in general but i would think the way i am on sdn is much less pc than I am in reality with people at school, etc. That's the thing about online stuff, it allows people to forego (for good or for bad) the necessary political correctness in situations.

Sprgrover said:
It's easy to pull information: if you have ever posted your stats, where you come from, you undergrad, it is rather easy to connect the dots with those tid-bits on SDN and your file.

Well that does make sense!

I took my stuff off here. I dont know if my school reads these posts or not but why risk it.

now that I think about it, they are always in meetings. Maybe they are in SDN chatroom meetings!

DcS said:
Do you really? I don't think how people post is necessarily how they are in real life. I think the net is a lot different and allows people different parameters of behavior. I mean I'm a sarcastic person in general but i would think the way i am on sdn is much less pc than I am in reality with people at school, etc. That's the thing about online stuff, it allows people to forego (for good or for bad) the necessary political correctness in situations.

oh come on and just say it. You like to get on match.com and contact men and act like you are a lady.

Thats perfectly normal. Just open up and tell us your name and then bash UNC repeatedly. I want to see if they would kick someone out of their program so I can know whether or not to keep respecting those guys!