Ucsd??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JohnyWalker said:
There is no need to be rude, especially when you are blatantly wrong. When I was put in the acceptable pool at UCSD, I called to find out what that meant. Apperantly the accpetable pool does not equal waiting list. In the beggining they don't even have a waitlist, the waitlist is created later in the cycle after people start declining offers of acceptance. When the waitlist is created, people are picked from the acceptable pool and put on the waitlist. It is possible to be in the acceptable pool and never make it to the waitlist. However, once you are waitlisted you are almost there. My friend was moved from the acceptable pool to the waitlist last year and two weeks after that she recieved her acceptance letter. Hope this helps

Hey, thank you for clarifing. But I didn't mean to be rude or anything by saying "read more carefully." This is why I don't like posting something with multiple connotations some times. Anyhow, I really appreciate your detail info regarding waitlist and acceptance pool.

Members don't see this ad.

And sorry, Messerschmitts, if I sounded rude. I didn't mean to be rude or anything.

roo425 said:
And sorry, Messerschmitts, if I sounded rude. I didn't mean to be rude or anything.

aww, you all are such nice people. i'll be so very very happy to meet you! *cross fingers* :) :)

and don't feel bad, roo...

Members don't see this ad :)
roo425 said:

Hey, it's all good, no hard feelings. ;) I wish I could meet you all at UCSD too, but it's gonna be a real long shot for me. One more trial, one more hoop to jump through (moving from Acceptable Pool to Waitlist) :(

Yo Messerschmitts and pattayapus, how the hell did you guys get waitlisted? I was checkin your md profiles. You guys both beat my mcat score, especially pattayapus. Man, this process makes no sense at all. Maybe it was me putting surfing as one of my 15 activities that made it so the only school I got into was the one right on the beach? :laugh: I'm sure you guys will get pulled off the waitlist. It seems like most people turn down SD.

StevenRF said:
Yo Messerschmitts and pattayapus, how the hell did you guys get waitlisted? I was checkin your md profiles. You guys both beat my mcat score, especially pattayapus. Man, this process makes no sense at all. Maybe it was me putting surfing as one of my 15 activities that made it so the only school I got into was the one right on the beach? :laugh: I'm sure you guys will get pulled off the waitlist. It seems like most people turn down SD.

hah, yes, i bet you most schools care less and less about scores now...i mean, once you pass a certain threshhold, they almost like it better if you don't score as high, because it means you devoted more time to things that matter more (involvement in this and that, development as a person, etc, blah blah)...anyways the problem is that all of us are pretty much equally qualified and excited about and ready for med school, and as they really don't know us personally all that well, the adcom's must have a hell of a time deciding between us...:)

why do most people turn down SD? is it entirely because of the grading system, and the belief that the school is way too hard?

pattayapus said:
why do most people turn down SD? is it entirely because of the grading system, and the belief that the school is way too hard?

I'd guess it's because many of UCSD's initial admits also get accepted by UCSF or UCLA. There are also exceedingly few people who seem to choose UCSD over Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Harvard...

UCSD gets applications from most of the top CA applicants, and it's not going to turn them down. But getting most of these top applicants to come to your school is very difficult.

pattayapus said:

Anatomy only during the second year, too much class-time, mini-blocks, concentration on the minute details. However, the students that I know that go to UCSD for Medschool do like it. I guess it isn't that bad after-all, and they are not really stressed out about the boards because of the prep that they recieve.

StevenRF said:
Yo Messerschmitts and pattayapus, how the hell did you guys get waitlisted? I was checkin your md profiles. You guys both beat my mcat score, especially pattayapus.

Like pattayapus said, past a certain threshhold, they don't care. Hell, I didn't even get into any school the first time I applied! :p

Man, this process makes no sense at all. Maybe it was me putting surfing as one of my 15 activities that made it so the only school I got into was the one right on the beach?

Ha ha, I wouldn't be surprised! The adcoms seem to like memorable ECs, even if they don't necessarily have anything to do with medicine. I probably had only 5 ECs listed, I spent WAY too much time studying. If I could do it over again, more ECs, less studying.

:laugh: I'm sure you guys will get pulled off the waitlist. It seems like most people turn down SD.

Oh, if only that were true! I personally can't imagine too many people turning down UCSD, or any UC med school for that matter. And since this is one of the 3 top UC med schools, chances will be slimmer than normal. With my luck I won't even make it from the Acceptable Pool to the waitlist! But as long as the fat lady hasn't sung, there's still hope, right? :luck: Ah hope, the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of our greatest strength and weakness. ;)

As a side note... to get into a competative residency, how important is it that the research correlates with what you want to go into? I was thinking of maybe neurosurgery or neurology. Opportunities for research abound at Scripps, Salk, the SOM dr.'s etc. I was also interested in some of the BME stuff going on at Jacob's, which is #2 in the country and has a lot of options. The ones I was interested in aren't related to neuroscience though. Hmmm

bump! anyone hear anything from UCSD lately?

LT2 said:
bump! anyone hear anything from UCSD lately?
I didn't hear anything from UCSD but I heard something from my adviser. She e-mailed for me to ask my status last week (or maybe two weeks ago). Dean Kelly e-mailed her back saying that my file was not reviewed yet because my file was not complete, which means one of my interviewers did not turn in his/her interview report. I wonder who this one is since one of my interviewers was Dean Kelly. Hmm. Well, my interview was 2/2 and they haven't reviewed my file yet. I think I will probably be put on acceptable pool soon.
Oh, another thing. UCSD might not start accepting many people from acceptable pool until May 15. That's part of Dean Kelly's reponse to my adviser. More wait. Great. But stay positive!

Just got an update today. Got an email saying 2nd look weekend is on the 21st and 22nd.
A beach bbq dinner the first day.
2nd day is:
Breakfast
Welcome by the dean
Curriculum
The Deaf program
Simulated Patients
Teaching Rounds
Lunch
Lab Teaching
Student Orgs, Fin Aid, Tutors
Living Studying and Playing in SD

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the "Acceptable Pool" club. Yay!

Just finished an interview today at Davis, and got my letter from SD afterward. I'm so ready for a nice, cold pint on a Friday afternoon. :thumbup:

Did anybody who interviewed late February/early March get an acceptance recently?

Mutt said:
Did anybody who interviewed late February/early March get an acceptance recently?

Ah hah! So we were interviewing for the waitlist!

(nice way to bump, eh?)

bump. Just in case anyone was looking for UCSD thread.
Also, any news, anybody?

Can anyone verify that everybody interviewed by UCSD is either accepted or put in their "acceptable pool?"

Does that effectively mean that their waitlist is 200+ people long?

Yea if you get an interview and don't receive an acceptance, you go into the acceptable pool. They don't give out post interview rejects until the class is finalized. The good news is I read somewhere that a large portion of their class comes from the acceptable pool since most/many? of the admits turn down UCSD.

2nd look in 3 weeks. yipee

Mutt said:
Can anyone verify that everybody interviewed by UCSD is either accepted or put in their "acceptable pool?"

Does that effectively mean that their waitlist is 200+ people long?

yes, this is true. i think the waitlist might actually be upwards of 300 people. if they interview 500, and accept ~150, that leaves 350 on the waitlist (just a guess). kind of a bummer, huh? at some point, they start rejecting people and they also create a waitlist of people so there will be 3 categories from what i understand: rejected (bad), acceptable pool (not bad, not good), and waitlist (good). i think if you make the waitlist, you're in good shape for being accepted.

LT2 said:
at some point, they start rejecting people and they also create a waitlist of people so there will be 3 categories from what i understand: rejected (bad), acceptable pool (not bad, not good), and waitlist (good). i think if you make the waitlist, you're in good shape for being accepted.

So, are you saying that they will tell you whether they move you to the waitlist or is it "behind-the-scenes?"

bump. I interviewed a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully, I hear some news (good news) soon.

LT2 said:
yes, this is true. i think the waitlist might actually be upwards of 300 people. if they interview 500, and accept ~150, that leaves 350 on the waitlist (just a guess). kind of a bummer, huh? at some point, they start rejecting people and they also create a waitlist of people so there will be 3 categories from what i understand: rejected (bad), acceptable pool (not bad, not good), and waitlist (good). i think if you make the waitlist, you're in good shape for being accepted.
Maybe in May/June they will split the alternate list in two parts. The less competitive candidates get rejected and the others get waitlisted? That's the idea I got when I called them up.

pls accept me said:
Maybe in May/June they will split the alternate list in two parts. The less competitive candidates get rejected and the others get waitlisted? That's the idea I got when I called them up.

i think sometime in may/june they split the pool into desired and undesired candidates. from there, they will pull individuals in groups to be waitlisted. as their waitlist exhausts, they will continue to pull from the pool. this is what i understood. so you can stay in the pool for quite some time. i do believe they inform you when you move from the pool to the waitlist. hope that makes some sense...

Messerschmitts said:
If I could do it over again, more ECs, less studying.
Seriously.

LT2,
so the people who stay on the alternate list are kept in super-limbo until August?

roo425 said:
It's kind of strange that nobody talks about UCSD. (since I saw threads about UCLA, UCD, UCI, USC etc..) So, here it goes. Does anyone hear from UCSD lately? I had interview there on 2/2 and now I am anxisouly waiting for the result. Could you share your letter, phone call, or e-mail from UCSD even though it might make me and you more painful? :scared: Thanks. And good luck for everyone.
having one to Undergrad here...I know that the process for their med school 'took longer than expected'. but from what i remember it's a great med school, well worth the wait.

ThinkFast007 said:
having one to Undergrad here...I know that the process for their med school 'took longer than expected'. but from what i remember it's a great med school, well worth the wait.
At this point, I don't mind waiting. But I think it would be nice if I can have ample time to move close to school, settle down a little bit for my kids and husband before I start school.

Anyhow, I called the office again and found out that they haven't reviewed my file yet. (I had interview on 2/2.) Now I start worrying that they might end up not even looking at my application. Maybe I should send a letter or something to make sure that they look at my file at least. I still wonder if one of my interviewer finally turned his/her interview report. Similar thing happened during my graduate school application and I ended up getting admitted in the following year. I hope it doesn't happen this time.

roo425 said:
At this point, I don't mind waiting. But I think it would be nice if I can have ample time to move close to school, settle down a little bit for my kids and husband before I start school.

Anyhow, I called the office again and found out that they haven't reviewed my file yet. (I had interview on 2/2.) Now I start worrying that they might end up not even looking at my application. Maybe I should send a letter or something to make sure that they look at my file at least. I still wonder if one of my interviewer finally turned his/her interview report. Similar thing happened during my graduate school application and I ended up getting admitted in the following year. I hope it doesn't happen this time.

wow, they still haven't reviewed your application?! that sucks. i'm sure they won't forget you though, maybe they'll feel sorry they neglected you and they'll let you in! how was davis? and congrats on VCU, at least you know you're going somewhere!

pls accept me said:
Seriously.

LT2,
so the people who stay on the alternate list are kept in super-limbo until August?

people left in the pool are kept in super limbo from what i understand... poopie.

After tito's comments on 3-16, I didn't even bother checking the UCSD status page... until today. The financial aid app is up! I thought they were supposed to email us about it...? I've never done one of these things before, and evidently the deadline is 4/17??? :scared: Does anyone know more information? Kinda freaking out right now... don't want to miss the boat on financial aid.

Thanks for any help
basfan

basfan2000 said:
After tito's comments on 3-16, I didn't even bother checking the UCSD status page... until today. The financial aid app is up! I thought they were supposed to email us about it...? I've never done one of these things before, and evidently the deadline is 4/17??? :scared: Does anyone know more information? Kinda freaking out right now... don't want to miss the boat on financial aid.

Thanks for any help
basfan

Yeah, it sucks. I called the fin aid office about 2 weeks ago and asked when it was available and she said, "uhmm...someone from the admissions office was supposed to write everyone and tell them it was made available several weeks ago." I thought it was strange since not so long before that they said it would be available at the end of the month. When I *nicely* expressed my unhappiness all the woman could say was "I'm sorry". I'm surpised someone from the finaid office didn't called someone in the admissions office to remind them to email everyone. Very crappy way of dealing with a HUGE, important issue. If I were you I would call the fin aid office and tell them that you didn't know it was available. I finished the paperwork in 1 day and overnighted it so it could be there quickly. Can you do the same??

LT2 said:
wow, they still haven't reviewed your application?! that sucks. i'm sure they won't forget you though, maybe they'll feel sorry they neglected you and they'll let you in! how was davis? and congrats on VCU, at least you know you're going somewhere!
Thank you for cheering me up. However, I had bad experience with admissions procedure long time ago. So, I know how cold admissions committee can be. (The school that I applied for my graduate degree lost one of my records so they rejected me.) I just hope similar thing doesn't happen this time.

I liked Davis. Sacramento is a city where I can live comfortably. School was great and the medical center was great, too. Only bad thing that I heard from my student interviewer was that the school system is pretty unorganized. For example, the syllabus are sometimes available after the school starts, some times lecture notes are not ready to download etc. Also, they don't provide much help for board prep. Most of student use commercial prep companies. But it's UC. I can't complain.

Thank you for the congrat on VCU. It was totally unexpected one. I thought about deferring it, but now I just want to get over with med school stuff ASAP. If I go to VCU, I will definatly try to come back to CA. I like the school and I know they will provide me more than enough education and clinical experience. The only concern is cultural difference and my family situation. Since I only lived in big cities with high Asian population, I might miss some good Sushi restaurant or Asian market. :oops: Also my kids might miss their aunties and grandparents.

Thank you for keeping track of my current status. How about yours? Do you know where you might be going this fall? I feel bad not to remember much about you.

titoincali said:
Yeah, it sucks. I called the fin aid office about 2 weeks ago and asked when it was available and she said, "uhmm...someone from the admissions office was supposed to write everyone and tell them it was made available several weeks ago." I thought it was strange since not so long before that they said it would be available at the end of the month. When I *nicely* expressed my unhappiness all the woman could say was "I'm sorry". I'm surpised someone from the finaid office didn't called someone in the admissions office to remind them to email everyone. Very crappy way of dealing with a HUGE, important issue. If I were you I would call the fin aid office and tell them that you didn't know it was available. I finished the paperwork in 1 day and overnighted it so it could be there quickly. Can you do the same??

Hey thanks for the heads up tito. I'll call 'em, see what's going on, probably fax in the forms and also priority mail the forms too. What's weird is that on one particular page of the form (Tips for choosing a lender), at the bottom it says revised 4/13/06, and the document properties shows it was modified 4/14/06 at 11:02:49 AM. If the form was available two weeks ago, yet the form was modified yesterday, what's the deal?

Is this form different from the online fafsa where you designate schools you want it sent to? Argh. I was expecting an email or snail for anything new that was supposed to be taken care of.

Woah guys... TOTALLY AWESOME 36 Pages. :mad:

Im gonna go play armstrong's what a wonderful world and go enhance my calm.

How long after your comittee meeting did you guys get your letter?

roo425 said:
Thank you for cheering me up. However, I had bad experience with admissions procedure long time ago. So, I know how cold admissions committee can be. (The school that I applied for my graduate degree lost one of my records so they rejected me.) I just hope similar thing doesn't happen this time.

I liked Davis. Sacramento is a city where I can live comfortably. School was great and the medical center was great, too. Only bad thing that I heard from my student interviewer was that the school system is pretty unorganized. For example, the syllabus are sometimes available after the school starts, some times lecture notes are not ready to download etc. Also, they don't provide much help for board prep. Most of student use commercial prep companies. But it's UC. I can't complain.

Thank you for the congrat on VCU. It was totally unexpected one. I thought about deferring it, but now I just want to get over with med school stuff ASAP. If I go to VCU, I will definatly try to come back to CA. I like the school and I know they will provide me more than enough education and clinical experience. The only concern is cultural difference and my family situation. Since I only lived in big cities with high Asian population, I might miss some good Sushi restaurant or Asian market. :oops: Also my kids might miss their aunties and grandparents.

Thank you for keeping track of my current status. How about yours? Do you know where you might be going this fall? I feel bad not to remember much about you.

Are you choosing VCU over UCSD and UC Davis? May I ask why?

Smyle4Jenn said:
Are you choosing VCU over UCSD and UC Davis? May I ask why?
I'm not choosing VCU over UCSD or UCD. The only acceptance I have so far is VCU. So, I don't have any choice yet. I still need to hear from UCSD and UCD. I'm not sure what I wrote.. Maybe my wording was a little bit confusing. Personally, I would choose UCD or UCSD over VCU (close to family). Also, Cali is where I'd love to stay for the rest of my life. But I'm sure there are some people who would choose VCU over UCSD or UCD. (There are many many peopel who apply to VCU but not UCSD or UCD.) But, not me.

FYI, the deadline for financial aid for new admits is 4/17 OR four weeks from your acceptance date and they are pretty lenient about your forms if you're a day or two late since most people just filed their taxes this past week.

I'm having a housing dilemma. I just received two calls today from UCSD housing. One is offering me a 1 bedroom at la jolla del sol third floor, which would be amazing. The other is a room at the single graduate housing.

EDIT: Cant take out student private loans as a pre MS1, so SGA it is.

Finally, a letter came from UCSD. It's been about 10 weeks since my interview. I feel relieved with the fact that they finally looked at my file. As expected, it says I was put on acceptable pool. It kind of gives me hope but also put me in limbo. Since my only acceptance is from a school in VA, I have to decide when I need to give up the hope for UCSD. I will definitely wait until the end of July. But I need to plan my moving starting from mid July. Ahhh.. I really hope I don't have to move too far. :luck:

roo425 said:
Finally, a letter came from UCSD. It's been about 10 weeks since my interview. I feel relieved with the fact that they finally looked at my file. As expected, it says I was put on acceptable pool. It kind of gives me hope but also put me in limbo. Since my only acceptance is from a school in VA, I have to decide when I need to give up the hope for UCSD. I will definitely wait until the end of July. But I need to plan my moving starting from mid July. Ahhh.. I really hope I don't have to move too far. :luck:

I'm kind of in the same boat...in the acceptable pool, and I have to prepare moving to Ohio if I'm not getting into UCSD...which I probably won't.

What exactly is the deal with the AA pool? They said it was kind of like an unranked waitlist, but that not everyone on it would end up on the waitlist come may 15th. How many people/what percentage of interviewees are put on it? What are our odds here?

Messerschmitts said:
I'm kind of in the same boat...in the acceptable pool, and I have to prepare moving to Ohio if I'm not getting into UCSD...which I probably won't.

guess what?!? ME TOO! if not CA it'll be PA and i'm signing a lease for JUNE!!! aaaaagh! :scared:

as for the waitlist/pool question, we're all wondering. if you read through the rest of the thread it's been discussed somewhat. briefly, some of the pool will end up on the waitlist. once on the waitlist, supposedly your chances are good. most will remain in the pool until waitlisted or rejected.

roo- glad to hear they finally looked at you! i'm sure you'll hear something from davis or SD... :)

StevenRF,

how long were you on the ucsd affiliated housing wait list before you got your housing offers?

roo425 said:
Finally, a letter came from UCSD. It's been about 10 weeks since my interview. I feel relieved with the fact that they finally looked at my file. As expected, it says I was put on acceptable pool.

hey, did your applicant status page change to say that a final decision letter had been mailed? also, where are you located?

xnm11 said:
StevenRF,

how long were you on the ucsd affiliated housing wait list before you got your housing offers?

Got my name on november. From what I was reading the single rooms at la jolla del sol are only 3-6 month wait (cause they are crazy expensive) and the single grad is less than 6 months (for obvious reasons) everything else is longer.

sharpnerd00 said:
hey, did your applicant status page change to say that a final decision letter had been mailed? also, where are you located?
Nope. I figuired UCSD is not very good at updating their web status. When I completed my application, it didn't say it was completed. I ended up calling and asked if my file was complete (for my secondary) and they said they got everything but haven't updated the website .

When I read somebody's post that he/she got a call from Dea Kelly the other day, I thought they finally could have looked at my application this time and checked my status page. It was not updated but I got my mail yesterday. So, if I were you, I wouldn't rely too much on the web page. If it's been a while, you can call and ask. They are pretty nice. BTW, I'm in San Diego.

LT2 said:
guess what?!? ME TOO! if not CA it'll be PA and i'm signing a lease for JUNE!!! aaaaagh! :scared:

as for the waitlist/pool question, we're all wondering. if you read through the rest of the thread it's been discussed somewhat. briefly, some of the pool will end up on the waitlist. once on the waitlist, supposedly your chances are good. most will remain in the pool until waitlisted or rejected.

roo- glad to hear they finally looked at you! i'm sure you'll hear something from davis or SD... :)
Thank you, LT. Anyhow, when do you plan to move to PA? I'm thinking about moving at the end of July. I'm not sure when is a good time. I think VCU starts around Aug 21 (orientation). I hope I don't have to move that far, but it looks like I might end up moving. BTW, are you waiting for any other CA schools, LT?

Messerschmitts said:
Why do you think you probably won't get into UCSD? Let's stay positive. :)
I'm suprised to look at your stat and result. I don't understand why you got rejected from UCD and UCLA. It's so random. Sorry for the rejection but you never know.. Better news might come.. :luck:

Messerschmitts, LT. If we all get into UCSD, we should have a party together. :cool: