Stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aau22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if the stipend is again 1279 for this coming year or if it increases each year...Also, I realize the stipend is taxed...anyone know roughly how much it ends up being per month after taxes? I am trying to plan my monthly expenses right now for the fall. Thanks so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I does go up in January by the base pay raise all military get. Do a fake set of taxes so you know approx how much you will owe. They may not take enough taxes out and you will end up with a large tax bill. I have heard some horror stories. If you plan on 550 twice a month, that will be about right.

the 1279 stipend is taxed? I thought the check was made to you as 1279?

Members don't see this ad :)
dexadental said:
the 1279 stipend is taxed? I thought the check was made to you as 1279?

Of course it is taxed. It is (however meager) income.

So what do you expect one would get after taxes?...no job, full time student of course, and renting an apartment.

Please check and do a fake set of taxes. I don't want to hear you complaining when you owe a bunch. Believe me, I have seen it happen.

609 every two weeks is not bad at all...1218 a month, I can live with that. I need all that stipend money I can get! I'm actually excited to become a part of the Navy and can't wait!

dexadental said:
609 every two weeks is not bad at all...1218 a month, I can live with that. I need all that stipend money I can get! I'm actually excited to become a part of the Navy and can't wait!
$1218 after taxes for a $1279 stipend? Paying federal, social security, etc.? That's less than 5% tax. That's a lot less tax than I used to pay even in my poverty-striken student days...

NavyFP said:
Please check and do a fake set of taxes. I don't want to hear you complaining when you owe a bunch. Believe me, I have seen it happen.

I got over $900 for my tax refund last year. Being in the military is wonderful on my 1040.

I get 568.85 every other week after taxes, so it depends on how your own specifics.

So, is it just me and my clas from OIS that know about the potentially amazing thing that is H.R. 5122? Assuming OH does anything about it...

I am not sure what you are talking about? HR 5122?

Members don't see this ad :)
The DoD FY2007 budget, responding to the shortage in HPSP recipeints (I've heard the Navy was ~50% for MS2009 and ~33% for MS2010, but this could be incorrect), authorizes an increase in stipend from ~13,000 to 30,000. SWEET! Let's keep our fingers crossed.

FY2007 starts 10/1/06, but I don't know how long it takes to make changes like that--the stipend would be "authorized up to 30,000", not automatically mandated, but the CBO predicted it would be set to the maximum.

This info may not be up to date, anyone else heard anything?

Wow that would be amazing...so for those of you at COT you were told this possibly could happen for the coming year by a military official??? Would it be branch specific to address the shortfalls?

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h109-5122

HR 5122 has passed both the house and senate, if this is the same bill.

I looked through the entire thing and saw no mention of HPSP.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache...&type=1+hr+5122+hpsp&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Programs. Section 564 would increase the stipends and grants paid to students enrolled in the Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Programs. The Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) pays the tuition of students studying to become health professionals in return for an obligation to serve in the armed forces upon completion of their training. Along with tuition, students enrolled in the program receive a stipend to help defray living expenses
while they are still attending school. Under current law, the stipend is limited to about $13,000 per year. Section 564 would increase the maximum stipend to $30,000. (Under both current law and the proposal the stipend is adjusted each year for inflation.) Because the services are having difficulty recruiting medical professionals, CBO believes DoD would increase the stipend to the maximum amount."

Looks like the bill sets a range and the actual amount is determined by whoever. They're betting that the DoD would set the amount at the $30k. This is definitely something to watch.

I have a feeling the extra stipend will only be offered to future HPSP recipients to increase recruiting numbers. What reason would they have to give to us the extra money? It also appears that it does not apply to the USAF scholarships.

Perhaps I am wrong. Would a change affect ALL recipients?

Hey guys,

I think I figured it out...S.2766 which is the National Defense Auth. Act was passed June 22 and was then added as an amendment onto HR 5122 which has passed both the House and Senate. Section 564 of the S2766 does in fact increase the stipend to 30,000 and it states effective OCt. 1 2006.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:SN2766:

If you there then click on text of legislation u can find it right in section 564...

SEC. 564. INCREASE IN BENEFITS UNDER HEALTH PROFESSIONS SCHOLARSHIP AND FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM.
(a) STIPEND- Section 2121(d) of title 10, United States Code, is amended--

(1) by striking `the rate of $579 per month' and inserting `in an amount not to exceed $30,000 per year'; and

(2) by striking `That rate' and inserting `The maximum amount of the stipend'.

(b) ANNUAL GRANT- Section 2127(e) of such title is amended--

(1) by striking `$15,000' and inserting `in an amount not to exceed $45,000'; and

(2) by striking `The amount' and inserting `The maximum amount'.

(c) EFFECTIVE DATE- The amendments made by this section shall take effect on October 1, 2006.

(d) PROHIBITION ON ADJUSTMENTS IN 2007- No adjustment under subsection (d) of section 2122 of title 10, United States Code, in the maximum amount of the stipend payable under such section 2122, and no adjustment under subsection (e) of section 2127 of such title in the maximum amount of the annual grant payable under such section 2127, shall be made in 2007.

So with the prohibition tacked onto the end i have no idea what any of this means...It seems as though the stipend IS increasing but not next year and who knows if only for future HPSP students. It says subsection d of section 2122 wont change in 2007 but the above section is actually section 2121 so keepin my fingers crossed. ANyone able to decipher this?

:laugh: I know the language is so confusing...I think it just means the actual code will change Oct. 2006 but no stipend changes will be made for this next year but hopefully for the following years.

Ok, I think I figured it out.

US Code Title 10, Section 2122 subsection d:

(d) participate in the residency program of his service, if selected, or be released from active duty for the period required to undergo civilian residency if selected for such training; and

US Code Title 10, Section 2127 has no subsection e, but there is an e subsection of section a paragraph 2:

(e) A person participating as a member of the program in specialized training shall be paid an annual grant of $15,000 in addition to the stipend under section 2121 (d) of this title. The amount of the grant shall be increased annually by the Secretary of Defense, effective July 1 of each year, in the same manner as provided for stipends.

the full text: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/s...tml/uscode10/usc_sec_10_00002122----000-.html

So I guess any extra money for residents won't happen in FY2007? I don't think we really know wtf this even is saying.

aau22 said:
Hey guys,

I think I figured it out...S.2766 which is the National Defense Auth. Act was passed June 22 and was then added as an amendment onto HR 5122 which has passed both the House and Senate. Section 564 of the S2766 does in fact increase the stipend to 30,000 and it states effective OCt. 1 2006.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:SN2766:

If you there then click on text of legislation u can find it right in section 564...

SEC. 564. INCREASE IN BENEFITS UNDER HEALTH PROFESSIONS SCHOLARSHIP AND FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM.
(a) STIPEND- Section 2121(d) of title 10, United States Code, is amended--

(1) by striking `the rate of $579 per month' and inserting `in an amount not to exceed $30,000 per year'; and

(2) by striking `That rate' and inserting `The maximum amount of the stipend'.

(b) ANNUAL GRANT- Section 2127(e) of such title is amended--

(1) by striking `$15,000' and inserting `in an amount not to exceed $45,000'; and

(2) by striking `The amount' and inserting `The maximum amount'.

(c) EFFECTIVE DATE- The amendments made by this section shall take effect on October 1, 2006.

(d) PROHIBITION ON ADJUSTMENTS IN 2007- No adjustment under subsection (d) of section 2122 of title 10, United States Code, in the maximum amount of the stipend payable under such section 2122, and no adjustment under subsection (e) of section 2127 of such title in the maximum amount of the annual grant payable under such section 2127, shall be made in 2007.

So with the prohibition tacked onto the end i have no idea what any of this means...It seems as though the stipend IS increasing but not next year and who knows if only for future HPSP students. It says subsection d of section 2122 wont change in 2007 but the above section is actually section 2121 so keepin my fingers crossed. ANyone able to decipher this?

Too bad we're not law students...

I found section 2122. Here's the entire HPSP law:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/uscode/title10/subtitlea_partiii_chapter105_subchapteri_.html

2122 doesn't have a subsection (d). 2121 does, and it is the part which establishes our stipend. Could this be a typo? Are there typos in bills passed by the senate???? Is this copy of title 10 up to date?

2122 establishes eligibility guidelines for HPSP. It has nothing to do with stipends.

I'm still confused by the contradiction between (c) and (d) in S2766 section 564.

I think they did mean 2121, not 2122, so we're back to square one.

OK! I got IT!

Carefully read each section, and you will see that there is a provision to increase the amount each year. Remember, the stipend has been meagerly increasing every July 1. The prohibition basically states that the $30,000 maximum and the amount of the grant will not be increased in 2007, so the same amount will be paid for two years.

Title 10 Section 2121 subsection d

(d) Except when serving on active duty pursuant to subsection (c), a member of the program shall be entitled to a stipend at the rate of $579 per month. That rate shall be increased annually by the Secretary of Defense effective on July 1 of each year by an amount (rounded to the next highest multiple of $1) equal to—

subsection d as amended by S. 564

Except when serving on active duty pursuant to subsection (c), a member of the program shall be entitled to a stipend in an amount not to exceed $30,000 per year. The maximum amount of the stipend shall be increased annually by the Secretary of Defense effective on July 1 of each year by an amount (rounded to the next highest multiple of $1) equal to—

Title 10 section 2127 subsection e

A person participating as a member of the program in specialized training shall be paid an annual grant of $15,000 in addition to the stipend under section 2121 (d) of this title. The amount of the grant shall be increased annually by the Secretary of Defense, effective July 1 of each year, in the same manner as provided for stipends.

Title 10 section 2127 subsection e as amended

A person participating as a member of the program in specialized training shall be paid an annual grant in an amount not to exceed $45,000 in addition to the stipend under section 2121 (d) of this title. The maximum amount of the grant shall be increased annually by the Secretary of Defense, effective July 1 of each year, in the same manner as provided for stipends.

The prohibition

Ergo, by "adjustment" they are referring to the annual adjustment of the amount of the stipend and grant, which typically happens every year. However, it will NOT happen in 2007. Thus, we will receive the same amount in 2006 and 2007, and the first increase will not occur until July 1, 2008.

Yes, don't say it. Everyone already tells me I should have gone to law school.

Hooah,

I think you got it figured out! The only thing I think that might be a positive is that fiscal year 2008 begins Oct. 1 2007 I think. I don't understand why the govt. fiscal year starts in October but that seems to be my understanding of all of this. At least they are realizing a stipend increase is needed! I would think it would apply to ALL HPSP students...or is this just wishful thinking? Also Hooah Doc, do you know what the new stipend is as of July 1?

A lot of businesses use the Oct - Oct fiscal year crap. I'm not sure why, my LLC had the option of using the calendar year (which I did).

I am pretty sure it's an across-the-board increase. If they are changing just the amount of the stipend in the bill then they have to provide it to all recipients, not just the ones they get from now on. If that's what they wanted to do, they would have had to specify this in the amendment.

Wow, I didn't have to explain anything. Makes my life easier. I heard about this initially from the director of HPSP in Bethesda, and my group did a lot of research on it while at OIS, just to see if it's legit, which it is. The only real snag seems to be when they'll implement this. But, seeing the shortage of docs, and the fact that they want to almost double the recruiting quota, OH would be seriously remiss not to take advantage of this. The captain also mentioned a 30000 bonus to those that sign up for HPSP going retroactive to oct. 2006, but we couldn't find any hard info on that, just the fact that the captain said it was as good as signed. I still dont trust that, but oh well. At least the stipend increase is on paper. Just thought I'd throw that out here, since mostly this board is fire and brimstone.

Now, I wonder if this increase will hold for the National Health Service Corps Scholarships too?

Since they are both essentially the same thing funding wise and LOS wise, it makes sense. Does anyone know?

Tadgie said:
Wow, I didn't have to explain anything. Makes my life easier. I heard about this initially from the director of HPSP in Bethesda, and my group did a lot of research on it while at OIS, just to see if it's legit, which it is. The only real snag seems to be when they'll implement this. But, seeing the shortage of docs, and the fact that they want to almost double the recruiting quota, OH would be seriously remiss not to take advantage of this. The captain also mentioned a 30000 bonus to those that sign up for HPSP going retroactive to oct. 2006, but we couldn't find any hard info on that, just the fact that the captain said it was as good as signed. I still dont trust that, but oh well. At least the stipend increase is on paper. Just thought I'd throw that out here, since mostly this board is fire and brimstone.

Tadgie,
Did your research and the HPSP director's statement go along with HooahDoc's interpretation of the prohibition on readjustments for 2007 (S2766, sec. 564(d)), that is to say, are we getting 30000/24=$1250 on or shortly after our Oct. 1 stipend check, or do we have to wait a year?

jsnuka,

As for the national health service corps, I doubt it. This was not mentioned in the legislation, and it is not part of the Title 10 law which establishes HPSP. Title 10 is the body of US law concerning the military.

Anyway, I don't think NHSC is having recruiting problems (I know a guy who got turned down), so congress wouldn't have a reason to spend extra money on them.

encourageable said:
Anyway, I don't think NHSC is having recruiting problems (I know a guy who got turned down), so congress wouldn't have a reason to spend extra money on them.

Quite the contrary, recruiting for the last year was abysmal. The goal was in the mid 2000s, all services included, and they only got 1200. Also, in reading one of the earlier interpretations of the original senate bill, included in the legislation was a snippet that increased the recruiting quota up to the 5000 range due to overstretched medical resources. I don't know if that's still in the house bill (haven't done any more research on it in a few weeks), but if it is, then they will most definitely need to increase the stipend in order to attract more applicants. By the way, the 1200 came straight from the captain, hence the reasoning for the 30000 bonus and off some sources online, don't remember those. But those numbers were the talk of the time, I don't know about the other services and how they fared, but the Navy only filled 50% of its HPSP scholarships.

encourageable said:
Tadgie,
Did your research and the HPSP director's statement go along with HooahDoc's interpretation of the prohibition on readjustments for 2007 (S2766, sec. 564(d)), that is to say, are we getting 30000/24=$1250 on or shortly after our Oct. 1 stipend check, or do we have to wait a year?

Why did you divide 30000 by 24? The stipend should increase to approximately $3,000/mo.

This is good news, but everyone please keep in mind what the bill actually says. It does not set the stipend amount to $30,000/yr or ~$3,000/mo (we actually only get the stipend for 10.5 months out of the year). It actually sets a cap at the stipend amount, at $30,000. It is up to the DoD to set the actual stipend amount. Whether they will significantly increase the amount is anyone's guess. I am willing to bet they raise it a few hundred per month, giving us ~ $1800/mo in stipend.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Tadgie,

I was referring to the good recruitment in the NHSC, not the HPSP. NHSC is the civillian program for urban/rural underserved areas. NHSC currently recieves the same scholarship benefits as HPSP.

HooahDoc,

We get 24 paychecks per year, if you don't take your 45 day AD period. 1250 per paycheck if we get 30,000.

The congressional budget office predicted that the services would set the stipend at 30,000 if the bill passes:

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/72xx/doc7281/s2766.pdf

GO FRANCE!!!!

Check. Jumped the gun on that one a lil, I only know HPSP myself.

Yes, like I said, it is all up to the DOD, and I know the majority of HPSPers that came out of the 050 class at OIS this summer are going to start sending emails to OH to try and move things along once the bill gets passed, well if, but I have a good feeling about the bill at least.
My hope is that the DOD follows the time honored philosophy of "If you don't spend it, you lose it" and we'll get most if not all of the money alotted. Wishful thinking, I know, but 1000 dollars every two weeks would be sweet, I could actually start paying off loans instead of taking out new ones.

Tadgie,

The bill with the amended stipend amount has already passed both the House and Senate and is just waiting to be signed by the President. Who will you be emailing about this? I'd definitely be willing to an email as well!

aau22 said:
Tadgie,

The bill with the amended stipend amount has already passed both the House and Senate and is just waiting to be signed by the President. Who will you be emailing about this? I'd definitely be willing to an email as well!

I think it goes to the senate conference first, unless whoever wrote that was mistaken. I thought it only went there if one of the two did not agree on something.

encouragble,

You're right. I'm used to getting paid once a month. :oops: I forgot normal people get paid 2x a month.

Tadgie said:
Quite the contrary, recruiting for the last year was abysmal. The goal was in the mid 2000s, all services included, and they only got 1200. Also, in reading one of the earlier interpretations of the original senate bill, included in the legislation was a snippet that increased the recruiting quota up to the 5000 range due to overstretched medical resources. I don't know if that's still in the house bill (haven't done any more research on it in a few weeks), but if it is, then they will most definitely need to increase the stipend in order to attract more applicants. By the way, the 1200 came straight from the captain, hence the reasoning for the 30000 bonus and off some sources online, don't remember those. But those numbers were the talk of the time, I don't know about the other services and how they fared, but the Navy only filled 50% of its HPSP scholarships.

It is amazing how rumors can fly. Not sure where you are finding the above numbers, but perhaps I can rectify them.

Navy goal for HPSP (medical) is 300 for FY06. Last year 162 entered the program. (just over 50%)

With the downfall in recruitment there are a number of ideas that are being considered to raise pay for HPSP. None are beyond the batting around phase.

There is a proposal for a signing bonus for Navy HPSP in the works. It still needs Health Afairs and Personnel to sign off. With as late as it is getting in the year, they may elect not to make it retroactive. The max proposed amount is $20K. Until it is signed, it is only a proposal and one person could end the whole deal. Sometimes it just works that way.

(confused)
Ok then, should I wait to sign my contract until October 1 , 2006 to get the bonus? or, will it not count because I was recruited for a school year beginning the august before October 2006?

NavyFP,

You can actually google the Congressional bills and read the text...If you go to the links already posted you can find some of the information and it has in fact passed in both Senate and House and Hooah is correct it is before a committe right now to smooth out differences in the House and Senate versions of the bill and then goes to the Pres. for signature. The actual text says the stipend can be set to a max of 30000 but does not set it to that amount. The Congressional Budget OFfice however expects DOD to set it to the max amount.

Curlycorday -

This is a bird in hand moment. The signing bonus may not go through. It does seem likely, but the military can be funny about these things. If you wait until Oct to sign your contract, the military cannot pay for the tuition prior to signing. So whatever portion of your tuition that you incur prior to signing is on you. That may not amount to what you would get from the bonus, but remember they also take taxes, so the net would be about $14K if it is a $20K bonus. So you would be waiting for something that is not guaranteed.

aau22,

There is wording in the NDAA for the increase in stipend, but again, not a done deal. Even if it is, if there is no additional money to fund it, the services may not implement it. Would be nice if they did bump it.

NavyFP said:
Curlycorday -

This is a bird in hand moment. The signing bonus may not go through. It does seem likely, but the military can be funny about these things. If you wait until Oct to sign your contract, the military cannot pay for the tuition prior to signing. So whatever portion of your tuition that you incur prior to signing is on you. That may not amount to what you would get from the bonus, but remember they also take taxes, so the net would be about $14K if it is a $20K bonus. So you would be waiting for something that is not guaranteed.
QUOTE]

Thanks NavyFP. I just talked with someone at Bethesda who says that the bill has been passed by the house and senate and is awaiting appropriations and the signature of President Bush. He says that all students enrolled in HPSP would receive the stipend increase to about $2500 a month and that I should definitely sign asap to avoid any delay later on... So good advice from you, as always...

Oh, and there IS NO SIGNING BONUS FOR HPSPers--- only for physicians who are in specialties critical to wartime (gen surg, Er, etc.)

It is the awaiting appropriations line that worries me. What Congress will frequently do is create changes in policy in one bill and not put the money in the spending bill. We see this all the time in military bills. In the end, services cannot implement because they would have to make cuts elsewhere to implement. No one wants to give up money.

curlycorday said:
Thanks NavyFP. I just talked with someone at Bethesda who says that the bill has been passed by the house and senate and is awaiting appropriations and the signature of President Bush. He says that all students enrolled in HPSP would receive the stipend increase to about $2500 a month and that I should definitely sign asap to avoid any delay later on... So good advice from you, as always...

Isn't the $2500/mo inaccurate? We only receive stipend for 12 mo - 45 days for ADT = 10.5 months. It should really be closer to $3000 should it not?

HooahDOc said:
Isn't the $2500/mo inaccurate? We only receive stipend for 12 mo - 45 days for ADT = 10.5 months. It should really be closer to $3000 should it not?

He estimated 2500 after taxes-- so this is what we would actually pocket. probably a lowball estimate, but the bill is for 30k a year MAXIMUM, that doesn't mean 30k a year...

curlycorday said:
He estimated 2500 after taxes-- so this is what we would actually pocket. probably a lowball estimate, but the bill is for 30k a year MAXIMUM, that doesn't mean 30k a year...

Yes, I mentioned that earlier. Honestly, I would not expect much of an increase.

I was told by the commanding officer at NMETC that HPSP students that signed their contract after Oct 1, 2005 are will receive the 20K bonus (not 30K) once it is approved. I was told that it has been signed off by everyone and that it is just sitting on Sec of Def desk for the final stamp of approval. He told me that it was a sure of a thing as something could be with out the final stamp being on it. I was also told that the stipend amount will atleast double when this new bill passes.

Cycle Girl,

Was this a Navy specific thing or HPSP wide??? Good to hear!!!

cyclegirl said:
I was told by the commanding officer at NMETC that HPSP students that signed their contract after Oct 1, 2005 are will receive the 20K bonus (not 30K) once it is approved. I was told that it has been signed off by everyone and that it is just sitting on Sec of Def desk for the final stamp of approval. He told me that it was a sure of a thing as something could be with out the final stamp being on it. I was also told that the stipend amount will atleast double when this new bill passes.
I attended the same brief, and he did make it sound like a sure thing. BUT, as with everything military, I will believe it when I see it. In other words, don't spend the money yet :smuggrin: BTW, I think this is purely Navy since they were ~50% of their HPSP recruitment goal the past couple of years...sorry USAF and USA!

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
I attended the same brief, and he did make it sound like a sure thing. BUT, as with everything military, I will believe it when I see it. In other words, don't spend the money yet :smuggrin: BTW, I think this is purely Navy since they were ~50% of their HPSP recruitment goal the past couple of years...sorry USAF and USA!

The bonus maybe, but not the stipend increase. A 20K bonus would be nice but I'll take the increase in stipend.

By the way, where did this $20,000 bonus for HPSP stuff come from? The only bonus I know of is for signing physicians, not HPSP students.