Intro to Physio Psych--->Classify as Biology on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a psych major and took Intro to Physio Psych under the psychology department. I was wondering if anyone also took a similiar course and listed it under biology. I do honestly feel this class was just another biology course, it concentrated on basic physiology of the brain and structure. actually, when I took the MCAT, there were a few questions this class helped me answer. it's listed in the transcript as "Psy-170 Intro to Physio Psych" the airheads at amcas might see the psych 170 bit and delay my application as they try and change the classification to "Behavior/Social Science"

thanks in advance,

Members don't see this ad.

I did. Mine was Adv Physio Psch, but I still put it down as a bio class and so should you.

I had Physio Psych and put it under Bio. Depending on your situation - if you did well, put it under what you need to boost up the most. I think it would fit under both categories...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat here. I also took adv physio psychology, but it is listed at my university as a psycholgoy class. Will the adcom folks buy the BCPM class thing?? I totally agree that is was just another bio class. Thanks

Originally posted by mike_D:
•I am in the same boat here. I also took adv physio psychology, but it is listed at my university as a psycholgoy class. Will the adcom folks buy the BCPM class thing?? I totally agree that is was just another bio class. Thanks•

Yes, they will buy it. If you study biology in a course, it is considered biology. Cut and dry.

What about biopsych. and behavioral neuroscience? Do they count in science GPA?

Yes - I would also count them as bio classes. An example of a psych class that would be classified as such is occupational psychology - or theories of personalities - or sensation/perception.

Anything that involves a good deal of anatomy or physiology can be viewed as a bio class - that is, classes that each topic where the psychology parts are presented in conjunction with the necessary anatomy/physiology.

Biopsych, physiological psych, behavioral neuroscience - these are all biology dependent and should be categorized as such.

That's what I would do - just my advice (I think most would agree with me on this).

I called AMCAS about this back in May before the chaos and was lucky enough to speak with a someone actually willing to give me the heads up. She said (roughly quoting) that the staff is directly instructed NOT to interpret any part of the categorizations we choose, only to change blatant errors like anthropology under physics. She said that the speed with which they go through these things makes it impossible for them to take the time to pick it apart. I put an anthro class under bio and two geology classes under physics because they were meteorology, really physics heavy. She essentially told me to try and put as many things under BCMP that would help my GPA out as possible, hope that some of them stick, and understand that it is likely most of them will. She said that they are hesistant to change an iffy one because if a student is unhappy with the change they (and the student) have to go through a big hassle to change it back and they don't like to take that risk unless it is an obvious mistake. I was SOOOo happy to hear this because it means a much better BCMP for me, I hope it will help you guys out as well... pass it on :)