TCOM Class 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

czanetti

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
welcome

Members don't see this ad.

Either of you planning on TCOM for sure?

I am seriously considering it. I have family in/around Fort Worth and tuition to TCOM is better than any of the other acceptances I have so far. We'll see what happens.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definetly going I have family in Dallas about 30 minutes away tuition is best your going to find, great school.

Hey you lucky OOS'ers! I am in-state and am dying to find out if I got in. Did TCOM call you or did your status change online or both?

I called to see what was happening on Oct 16th and was told over the phone. The status page also changed and they sent a letter by snail mail too. :luck:

Do any of you know if you are definetly going to TCOM???

i'm trying to decide between a&m and tcom. i think a&m has the lead right now...

When is everyone going to start looking for a place to stay???

Has anyone else gotten an e-mail about the Preview Day on Dec. 9? I think it would be good to go, but it starts at 8:00 am and I'm from Houston, which means I'd have to drive up to Fort Worth the day before and get a hotel room, and I'm not sure I want to deal with all that if the Preview Day thing isn't really that big of a deal. Anyone going?

You think you have it bad I'm from New York I have a final the following monday. I think I'm going to give them a call and ask if they are intending to have another one during the spring semester. At that point I think it won't be as bad and the majority of the class will be able to go for preview day and look for places to stay at the same time. Just my 2cents

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some really nice lofts and apartments just down the street from TCOM.

Firestone Upper Westside (Good if you are single): http://www.lincolnapts.com/communit...muID=568&pageSubNavigationID=FeaturesServices

Also search for Houston House (Fort Worth, big old building converted to lofts, 5 mins from school) and the Electric Building. There are also tons of houses for sale in the surrounding areas.

Rent: From $600++ (1 bedroom), $1000 (house to rent, 2-3 bedrooms)
Buy: 3 bedroom from 80,000 (needs work) to 150,000++(really nice, for a student)
Utilities: Electric is a freaking rip off and the summers will kill you but DSL, cable, etc. are reasonable.

Does anyone know people attending TCOM? I can't wait to start, but would like more info.

I can give you the email address of the students I met during my interview but they were part of the admissions staff so you might want to get a regular student there are a few on SDN that you can just PM them a question.

I just mailed my acceptance to TCOM and have also RSVP'd to the preview day. I'm not sure how useful it'll be but I want to take the time to look around for a place to live. I'm hoping to live within walking distance.

Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

Just wanted to say congrats to everyone for getting in to TCOM! :clap:

Get excited! You're going to be doctors! :D

That being said... sounds like Snowkhat knows FW pretty well but I grew up on the West Side (Ridglea, which is farther down but close to TCOM) so if anyone has questions about the area feel free to PM me. :thumbup:

I was given a freshman and sophmore M1, M2 schedule when i went for my interview:

Tues
9am-5pm

Wednesday:
10am-3pm

Thursday:
9am-4pm

Friday:
8am-2pm

Year 2 also varies --- basically some days go from 8am-5pm some go from 9am-4pm, some 8am-3pm

I heard that attendance was only manditory for the labs
Hope this helps

Also to give everyone a heads up : If you are going to be looking for an apartment for next year it would be better to go to the spring preview day because the apartments will be ready for when you need them, Plus it would be better to wait until the spring preview day becuase it will include everyone that is definetly going to the school aka. after the texas match. So everyone that you meet there will be your classmates.

Hey all.... I was accepted to TCOM, but my fiance is still waiting for an interview :(

He is OOS so it's going to be rough for him to get one, but does anyone know the final interview day????

And another couple questions....

Does anyone know if they give out class notes/syllabus notes for each course... like they do at UTSA and UTMB?

I don't remember a gym on campus... was there mention of where students work out?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted to TCOM.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about classes, school, FW in general, etc.

TCOM
OMS 1

there is a gym on campus but a med student mentioned it was antiquated

good luck with finals everyone

Any ideas on the dress code for the preview day the weekend?

Hmm, never wandered over here till now. Good chance I'll be joining you all next year. Can't make it to the preview day unfortunately. For those that go, please post back here and let us know how it goes this weekend!

Everyone have fun this weekend I wish I was down there instead I'm freezing my tush off in buffalo. grr

Here's a little synopsis about preview day:

7:30--Yummy mini-chicken biscuits, fresh fruit salad, sodas, and coffee
8:15--Oops, fire alarm
8:20--Intro by Dr. Hahn and co.. Congrats to all accepted, about TCOM, etc
9:00--Dr. Dubin, All about academics and classes
10:00--Intro to KBIT, quiz, and interactive learning exercise (Taste of what to expect)
12:00--Lunch from Olive Garden
1:00--Tours of Anatomy lab, sim lab, and library

2:30---Bid adieu.

Any good tid bits? Again, we get a tablet pc 1st year and PDA second year. Lot's of online resources and diagnostic tools readily available. Wi-fi. 99% pass rate of Boards (Comlex and USMLE). Top grades on shelf-exams. Q-Bank and month long prep course included in second year. Very integrated curriculum, awesome! Tons of help when you need it.

Any questions pm me.

:)

any idea about the specs on that tablet laptop? i really want an ultraportable and it would suck to get stuck with something that id ont really want to but have to pay for...

also, any specs on the PDA? i'm looking into acquiring a nice PDA/Smartphone/Digital Camera/Toaster all in one thing. i would hope that they give out something useful so that we can combine our gadgets into one.

Anyone know if TCOM is giving out scholarships before the match or if they do at all??

any idea about the specs on that tablet laptop? i really want an ultraportable and it would suck to get stuck with something that id ont really want to but have to pay for...

also, any specs on the PDA? i'm looking into acquiring a nice PDA/Smartphone/Digital Camera/Toaster all in one thing. i would hope that they give out something useful so that we can combine our gadgets into one.

The only thing I know about the tablet is that they use Gateway.

they do give out scholarships but not before the match, you would find out sometime during april/may. Its called the deans scholarship search it on the TCOM website for more info only 5% of the number of last years class will get a scholarship. So that works out to about 8 students total will get a schoarship out of the whole class.

So, laptop specs. Gateway tablet (they only have one). As of now, we are all ordered the same machine and the cost is built into total attendance/tuition. For the PDA. They didn't really go into it. I would love an all-in-one with phone, but who knows?
Oh, yeah. Go ahead and apply for FAFSA asap (when taxes are complete). They might have some grants available.

Hey guys just wondering what everyone is up to this coming summer? Working and saving for medical school? Partying? Travel? Classes?

Party, Party, Party, and relax. Don't do anything if you can help it, and for god sake don't study. It is the last time in your life you won't have something over your head. Live it up!!!

Q
M2

Bay Area Med.Cent: Corpus Christi
Baylor All Saints: Ft.Worth
Brownwood Regional: Brownwood
Christus Spohn: Corpus
Cook Childrens: Fort Worth
Droscoll Childrens: Corpus
Harris Methodist: Ft Worth
JPS: Fort Worth
Mesquite Community: Mesquite
Methodist Charlton: Dallas
Methodist Dallas: Dallas
Plaza: Ft Worth
Terrell State Hospital: Terrell
Texas Tech: Odessa
UT Tyler: Tyler
William Beaumont Army: EL Paso

Congrats to all of you that got in. I am looking forward to meeting ya'll.
Anyone in the Dallas area hanging around for the break? Maybe we can get a few people together for a beer!?!?

oops double post

Thinking about traveling as in Road trip down to Texas, anyone have any suggestions on where I should stop on the way down?? I'm comming from New York. And I was wondering, is anyone looking for roomtes? I am and if your interested PM me.

Ummm, depending on your route you could stop in Memphis or Saint Louis. Both have awesome places to go and great restauarants. Of course you will have to stop somewhere on the east coast as well.

You should post your roomate request on TCOM's student portal website.

Goodl luck and have a safe drive!

Hey whats up everyone,
I might be a little anal to start this already but I thought I would throw the link up for people just in case I'm not alone. Here is a link for all the immunizations and all the other jazz we need to have filled out before medical school. I'm sure they are going to send it to us in the mail but I thought if we printed them out now we could get a head start.

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/newstudents/DOChecklist.cfm

this if for last years class but I'm pretty sure its going to be the same for this years also.

Does anyone know where they are going to be living??

I was emailing people that put ads on the students web page. I got a hit for a roomate possibility, and a few that said if its open when your here you can take a look but thats it. I will definetly be renting just a matter of figuring out weather it will be alone or not. I would like to have a few roomates. I really can't wait just to meet a few people from our class its driving me nuts right now. Does anyone know when the spring get together is going to go down?

Yeah!!! I got accepted to TCOM today. I was not even expecting it because I didn't think they'd be offering anymore acceptances. Well, now I have to decide between TCOM and UT-H. Soooo difficult!!!! I love both schools for different reasons.

We'll see.

Yeah!!! I got accepted to TCOM today. I was not even expecting it because I didn't think they'd be offering anymore acceptances. Well, now I have to decide between TCOM and UT-H. Soooo difficult!!!! I love both schools for different reasons.

We'll see.

If you come to TCOM, you'll get to hang out with us!:D